Home
which gun would you pick, in which caliber, what load(s) how much ammo and why? I'd take an M4 in 223, with a $160, 3/4 lb .CMMG .22lr conversion unit. I'd mostly leave it in .22lr firing "mode", cause most shots are at small game. I'd want 1 in 9" twist rifling, for use with the 60 gr Subsonic Aquila .22 load and 60 gr Nosler Partition softpoints in the 223. I'd want a scope with a see thru mount, and luminous iron sights and a RRA drop in NM trigger job. Having both a centerfire and quiet rimfire is an advantage. Now and then, rapid fire is an advantage and it comes with a dark reflective finish, and can be had with a chromed bore and chamber. I can brain big critters with it to 100m or so, take deer, pronghorn, hogs to 150m with chest hits, too. On snow, 6" or less, in the early morning, or with a dog that would follow a trail., I'd risk a shot on such small "big game' to 200m, too, if needed the meat badly, as long as I could use a braced firing position, so as to put that bullet within 3" of where I wanted it. The caliber swap can be discretely done in 20 seconds, the .22 unit's POI is always less than 2" off of the 223 POI, at 50m. and some are much closer. Groups are always 2" or less at 50m, too, if you haven't chosen the 1 in 7" rifling twist.. I'd want 60 rds of 223 (2 lbs) and 500 rds of the Aquila 60 gr .22's (3 lbs) With the 7 lbs of scoped M4, the 14 lb total is feasible to lug around. You have to cover a lot of ground, nearly everywhere on earth to live by foraging. That much ammo, along with traps, snares, netting, trotlines, fish poison, bird lime, etc, should last me for at least 10 years.
Beretta 21A.
Beretta has pop up ads on the this web page, you can click on it, and you can see their whole product line.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/
Remington 870 pump.
A minimal moving parts single shot 22LR equipped with a scope.
Originally Posted by satir
which gun would you pick, in which caliber, what load(s? and why? I'd take an M4 in 223, with a $160, 3/4 lb .CMMG .22lr conversion unit. I'd mostly leave it in .22lr firing "mode", cause most shots are at small game. I'd want 1 in 9" twist rifling, for use with the 60 gr Subsonic Aquila .22 load and 60 gr Nosler Partition softpoints in the 223. I'd want a scope with a see thru mount, and luminous iron sights and a RRA drop in NM trigger job. Having both a centerfire and quiet rimfire is an advantage. Now and then, rapid fire is an advantage and it comes with a dark reflective finish, and can be had with a chromed bore and chamber. I can brain big critters with it to 100m or so, take deer, pronghorn, hogs to 150m with chest hits, too. On snow, 6" or less, in the early morning, or with a dog that would follow a trail., I'd risk a shot on such small "big game' to 200m, too, if needed the meat badly, as long as I could use a braced firing position, so as to put that bullet within 3" of where I wanted it.
What's the sitch? What are you doing? Where are you at? What are you doing? Are you killing zombies exclusively, or do you have to kill live folks that are trying to kill you? Do you have to do both plus forage for food by killing animals? If so, what is on the menu? Grizzlies or sewer rats? It do make a difference.

I think your pick is pretty sound, to tell the truth. Another big factor is, do you have a base of operations with a cache of ammo? If not, the .22 RF makes more and more sense. Also a suppressor. Do you still have to obey the law or can you just do what you want? If the latter, I'd make mine full auto just 'cause. I'll also take NVD.
Never seen the alone TV show so pardon the question. Was prolly too busy watching Bristoe's fat bitch show.
Lots of bears on those shows. Think I'd want something bigger than a .223. 12 ga with slugs and shot would be a good choice.

Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Remington 870 pump.

This. 12ga
Over and under 12 gauge and 243 win.
Originally Posted by centershot
Lots of bears on those shows. Think I'd want something bigger than a .223. 12 ga with slugs and shot would be a good choice.
A bear can eat my ass after I shoot him with a 45-70 just as easy as a 556. You think it really matters Eddie? No offense intended.
22 magnum bolt action
Originally Posted by Fireball2
22 magnum bolt action
No offense but why in hell would you pick a 22 Mag.? Ammo is expensive and not nearly as easily as procured as a plain LR. Certainly they are better in a lot of applications, but so is a 223. Don't get it.
Setting aside a .22, if you needed something in a caliber large enough to do anything, but dead nuts reliable and unbreakable, it would be hard to beat a Mosin-Nagant. I would pick the 38 carbine version. Yes, unergonomic, ugly as sin, but I’m not even sure how you could break one. And if you somehow did, it would make a well nigh indestructible club as well.
bears so rarely bother anyone that I'd never cut my effective range by that much on small game as to choose a shotgun, nor make that much noise or lug around that much bulk and weight. Caches would help, of course, IF you can be sure of getting back to them. So you'd need quite a few small ones, scattered over a wide area. I wont give the zombie thing any validity. This being a hunting site, I choose to stay away from the combat thing, altho it would of course be part of a real-deal scenario. Full auto is a joke from box mags. Not worthy of any consideration. NVD's, of course, IF you also have a passive IR scanner, a helmet upon which to mount the NVD and a solar charger to keep the batteries functional. The suppressor is a big help, even if humans are not an issue. Animals are not run off by things that they never hear. A subsonic .22 rifle will easily take rabbits at 50% more distance than is feasible with birdshot. You''ll soon get sick of pulling maintenance on blued guns, in a lot of areas. You've got to have nighttime hitting capability. The 223/22lr choice works anywhere, which is one reason I made it. and why I didn't specify any special climate or terrain. It'll work for pretty much anyone, too. Which is why who you are doesn't matter
Okay, since there's bears I'm switching to a 50-90 Sharps with 1,000 grain projectiles and as much Ffg as I can compress in the little shell. Are there going to be Wooly Mammoths on this adventure too? Will they be like, zombie mammoths like on that one TV show...Game of Thornes or whatever? I will supplement it with my Broadsword.
Survival would mean mainly hunting small game birds and animals for the stew pot, so I would select a nice European Drilling.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
22 magnum bolt action
No offense but why in hell would you pick a 22 Mag.? Ammo is expensive and not nearly as easily as procured as a plain LR. Certainly they are better in a lot of applications, but so is a 223. Don't get it.

Survival situation I doubt I'm going to be comparison shopping for value. I don't think $12 for 50 rounds of ammo is going to break the bank anyhow. I chose the 22 magnum because it'll kill what needs killing big or small w/o destroying the small, and I can carry a schitload of it.

my choice(s)

Marlin model 39 22 LR...20"....simple take down for portability..reliable..cheap ammo...

Marlin 16" 45 Colt shown in pic...my handloaded ammo....including shot capsules...load mild to wild

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
bears so rarely bother anyone that I'd never cut my effective range by that much on small game as to choose a shotgun, nor make that much noise or lug around that much bulk and weight. Caches would help, of course, IF you can be sure of getting back to them. So you'd need quite a few small ones, scattered over a wide area. I wont give the zombie thing any validity. This being a hunting site, I choose to stay away from the combat thing, altho it would of course be part of a real-deal scenario. Full auto is a joke from box mags. Not worthy of any consideration. NVD's, of course, IF you also have a passive IR scanner, a helmet upon which to mount the NVD and a solar charger to keep the batteries functional. The suppressor is a big help, even if humans are not an issue. Animals are not run off by things that they never hear. A subsonic .22 rifle will easily take rabbits at 50% more distance than is feasible with birdshot. You''ll soon get sick of pulling maintenance on blued guns, in a lot of areas. You've got to have nighttime hitting capability. The 223/22lr choice works anywhere, which is one reason I made it. and why I didn't specify any special climate or terrain. It'll work for pretty much anyone, too. Which is why who you are doesn't matter
Personally, I think you are missing a bet not considering the zombie threat. I already see them everytime I go to Walmarts which is why I shop at the Dollar General as much as I can. Full auto is a joke? Okay. Well then, give me a belt-fed minimi.
22 magnum bolt action

Survival situation I doubt I'm going to be comparison shopping for value. I don't think $12 for 50 rounds of ammo is going to break the bank anyhow. I chose the 22 magnum because it'll kill what needs killing big or small w/o destroying the small, and I can carry a schitload of it.

Long rifle is just as good on zombies, especially if they used to be fat bitches. If I lived as far north as you, I'd have a full set of armor. Not some pussy body armor, but like, a Knight's suit. Just go to the local museum and pick one up since the curator is probably already a zombie and won't mind.
22 mag has no more power than a 5" 9mm pistol, 350 ft lbs, big whoop. It has nothing like the reach or power of the 223, and makes a lot more noise than the subsonic .22. There's zero reason to not have rapidfire. You can clear a malfunction in an auto as "fast" as you can reload a single shot. So that's a silly reason to handicap yourself in that manner. .22 mag was dead as a survival choice in the late 70's, when Atchisson invented the .22 unit for the AR. Why limit yourself so much, when you can have rapidfire and quietness on one end, and longer range/power on the other end of the scale? why be without the dark, corrosion resistent finish, luminous sights, etc?
22 mag has no more power than a 5" 9mm pistol, 350 ft lbs, big whoop. It has nothing like the reach or power of the 223, and makes a lot more noise than the subsonic .22. There's zero reason to not have rapidfire. You can clear a malfunction in an auto as "fast" as you can reload a single shot. So that's a silly reason to handicap yourself in that manner. .22 mag was dead as a survival choice in the late 70's, when Atchisson invented the .22 unit for the AR. Why limit yourself so much, when you can have rapidfire and quietness on one end, and longer range/power on the other end of the scale? why be without the dark, corrosion resistent finish, luminous sights, etc?

Plus it ain't near as good as the 2-2-3 on the undead, if you know what I mean, and I think you do.
As has been mentioned: 870/12ga.
I think some of you guys are underestimating the "survival" part of this equation. Simplicity is at a premium. Some of you guys sound like you need to carry your reloading bench with you when you flee in front of the coming Chinese invaders. Don't forget the wheelbarrow for all the specialized equipment you'll be carting around.

The 22 mag is dead as a survival round? Huh, who knew? Less powerful than a 9mm pistol? Good to know. I can shoot a 22 mag pretty effectively at 200 yards. How's that handgun work at that range LOL.

But whatever.
why would you forego the ability to take small game quietly? that's silly, cause it's going to be 90% of you chances. The big caliber bolt action is a non-starter. I've taken literally thousands of birds with a .22lr rifle, and hundreds of small animals with .22lr pistols. Birds all land and animals all stop running. They can't afford to waste the calories. Almost all animals live and die within a few miles of where they were born, and some, it's a few hundred meters, at most. Only drought, fire,flooding or really heavy predation makes them move. When you LIVE out there with the critters, you'll get many chances at the same animal. So it's not like sport hunting, one chance in a lifetime sort of bs. You get to use bait, jacklight at night, all sorts of things that make sport hunting experience of no relevance at all. If you want to know what works best for survival food procurement of game and fish, check your local regs for what's ILLEGAL to do. It's illegal cause it works (too well).
How about we stand off at 200 yards, you with a 9mm pistol and me with a bolt action 22 mag. We fire at each other at the same instant.

What's for dinner?
Something along the lines of the Chiappa Double Badger, in 22 rimfire, and 20ga would cover a lot of bases.

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/product.php?id=58
and in reality, who'd want to drop big money on some gun that they'd never have any real use for? There's far more shooting matches, self defense needs and varminting than game hunting, So a smart person would pick a gun that's useful for those things, too. A 45.70 has almost no uitility at all.

Now, if you were allowed two guns, I'd seriously consider a Remington 3006 autoriflle and an intergrally sound suppresssed, alloy upper receiver Ruger 2245. 26 ozs or less, 4" barrel, 10" overall, 2" groups at 50 yds. then you'd have real big game taking ability and assuming you can really stalk and shoot a handgun, adequate small game taking ability also. The .22lr handgun doesnt help you train for your rifle, tho, as does the .22lr conversion unit for the AR.

22 WMR is solid choice.

I like that the 22WMR ammo is more weather resistant than the 22 rimfire.
Unless we are talking a plane crash in the Alaska/Northwest Territories wilderness, survival mostly means killing everyone else who is competing with you and yours for resources, including the hordes trying to steal what you have already procured and stored.

Rabbits, squirrels, and deer will be next to extinct within a very few weeks. One will be killing far more humans than game. I want me and every one in my home equipped for that task.

Springfield M1 A comes to mind.
satir sounds a lot like Gun Kid, from days gone by.
Beretta APX, it's all there is apparently.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Unless we are talking a plane crash in the Alaska/Northwest Territories wilderness.....

That's kinda-sorta what Alone is like. Folks dropped off in remote northern Vancouver Island with a few essentials. Last person to 'tap out' wins. usually cold/starvation break people. The season I watched lasted roughly 90 days.
so use a camel's hair artist's brush and model airplane "dope" to seal the case mouths of .22lr ammo. If you dip the plastic boxes in shellac, they stay waterproof, too. That's a valid poiint, tho, one almost nobody takes into consideration, so good thinking. The M1A 's ammo bulk, weight, and lack of a .22 unit, lack of luminous irons sights, lack of take down concealent, and unweildiness with a suppressor mounted remove it from serious consideration. While the game will indeed soon be gone, somebody who's had the brains to bury some 35 gall drums in advance (empty) can convert a cow or two into jerky in a week or less. Ditto get some 100 lb bags of stored grain, via a bicycle. That's going to feed you for a long, long time. Burying food in advance of shtf is problematical, especially where there's bears and bears exist in many more states than almsot anyone realizes. You'd need a 6" thick concrete cap, at least 10 ft in diameter, to keep a bear out of a food cache. Bugging in aint feasible, either. since it's so easy to snipe you or burn you out.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Unless we are talking a plane crash in the Alaska/Northwest Territories wilderness.....

That's kinda-sorta what Alone is like. Folks dropped off in remote northern Vancouver Island with a few essentials. Last person to 'tap out' wins. usually cold/starvation break people. The season I watched lasted roughly 90 days.
I've got a pretty good built-in portable food reserve.
so use a camel's hair artist's brush and model airplane "dope" to seal the case mouths of .22lr ammo. If you dip the plastic boxes in shellac, they stay waterproof, too. That's a valid poiint, tho, one almost nobody takes into consideration, so good thinking. The M1A 's ammo bulk, weight, and lack of a .22 unit, lack of luminous irons sights, lack of take down concealent, and unweildiness with a suppressor mounted remove it from serious consideration. While the game will indeed soon be gone, somebody who's had the brains to bury some 35 gall drums in advance (empty) can convert a cow or two into jerky in a week or less. Ditto get some 100 lb bags of stored grain, via a bicycle. That's going to feed you for a long, long time. Burying food in advance of shtf is problematical, especially where there's bears and bears exist in many more states than almsot anyone realizes. You'd need a 6" thick concrete cap, at least 10 ft in diameter, to keep a bear out of a food cache. Bugging in aint feasible, either. since it's so easy to snipe you or burn you out.
Ain't a satir one of them goats with a man's head?
Probably should load up on tinfoil while we're at it. Can't have too much tinfoil.
I seen one on the old Zena Warrior Princess teevee show, IIRC.

I did not know this. Is this a fact that I somehow missed?
Alone seasons have lasted 56 days, 60, days, 66 days, 75 days, 87 days and I forget one, but it was in the 60's. They break weak cause they dont know how to feed themeselves, or how to conserve calories. Then they make up excuses for why they quit, like " I miss my family". Starving looks bad, since so many are 'survival instructors'. :-)
Probably should load up on tinfoil while we're at it. Can't have too much tinfoil.
A damned zombie will bite right through that shixt. Get the suit of armor.
you mean satyr. I thought everyone had noticed that you can rotate most .22lr bullets in the case, with your bare hands? that's not a good sign for weahterproofing.
I never said anything about handgun accuracy, just that the .22 mag is weak. The 223 has 3x the power and range. In fact, it works vs man-sized targers to 1/2 mile, well proven in matches. A chest hit with a 223 softpoint is every bit as likely to stop a man with one hit as a 12 ga blast. Not at all true with 22 mag rifle. The 223 softpoint pierces soft armor like so much cheese, also not true of the .22 mag.
you mean satyr. I thought everyone had noticed that you can rotate most .22lr bullets in the case, with your bare hands? that's not a good sign for weahterproofing.
Hell son, ain't nobody on this site can spell worth shixt.
Savage OU 22lr/20 gauge with a selection of slugs and bird shot.
Don't look down you nose at a 20 Gauge slug, compare it to some of the most powerful handguns on the market
ok, pops
the shotgun is a bad choice, especially single shots. Small game aint worth a shotshells' noise, weight and bulk, Giving up the range advantage of the riflle and the rapidfire thing is a bad idea. 20 ga slug's very limited in range, since it starts out with minimal power and loses it so fast at distances. When you run out of ammo, the gun is just a club.
ok, pops
That's Boomer to you sonny and you best smile when you say it.
Originally Posted by Tracks
Savage OU 22lr/20 gauge with a selection of slugs and bird shot.
Don't look down you nose at a 20 Gauge slug, compare it to some of the most powerful handguns on the market
Probably as good as anything mentioned so far.
Remington 870 12ga. Shoots everything from rabbits on up. Bring a variety of different shells. Good to go.
I'll say it anyway I want, pops, since you chose to call me "sonny". stuff it.
12 ga shells are 10 to the lb. 20 ga shells more like 18 to the lb. you'll run out of them in a big hurry. 60 gr .22lr ammo is 100 rds to the lb, and of course, very compact and more likely to be replacable than any other caliiber. How to have slug, birdshot, buckshot in the chamber when it's needed, eh? How many can you carry? How many of each type of shell? The shotgun =boy scout level of "thinking" Search youtube for the WoodedBeardsman's Wilderness Survival Challenge and LOOK at all the chances he'd have had on turkeys, moose, deer, etc, with a rifle, but not with the shotgun, due to range limitation
I'll say it anyway I want, pops, since you chose to call me "sonny". stuff it.
Just how big a boy are you?
I think some of you guys are underestimating the "survival" part of this equation. Simplicity is at a premium. Some of you guys sound like you need to carry your reloading bench with you when you flee in front of the coming Chinese invaders. Don't forget the wheelbarrow for all the specialized equipment you'll be carting around.

The 22 mag is dead as a survival round? Huh, who knew? Less powerful than a 9mm pistol? Good to know. I can shoot a 22 mag pretty effectively at 200 yards. How's that handgun work at that range LOL.

But whatever.

Fireball,

I like both the suggestions (M-4+CMMG conversion and bolt action .22 WMR) and I have both setups. I have used both for some time.

The thing I can't get over is the criticism of the .22 WMR choice. I have used one for a wide variety of game and have high confidence in it. Maybe folks can't understand it until they use it. Maybe they weren't asking what you thought, but telling you what you should think.

I've used it in a rifle just since 1970, a single Six before that. A .22 Mag is what I take with me for woods bumming. I also carry a 651 .22 Mag revolver when oudoors more than any other, I have a .22 Mag over 20 gauge Model 24 with choke tubes , an SS Cricket .22 Mag and a Single Six.
12 ga shells are 10 to the lb. 20 ga shells more like 18 to the lb. you'll run out of them in a big hurry. 60 gr .22lr ammo is 100 rds to the lb, and of course, very compact and more likely to be replacable than any other caliiber. How to have slug, birdshot, buckshot in the chamber when it's needed, eh? How many can you carry? How many of each type of shell? The shotgun =boy scout level of "thinking" Search youtube for the WoodedBeardsman's Wilderness Survival Challenge and LOOK at all the chances he'd have had on turkeys, moose, deer, etc, with a rifle, but not with the shotgun, due to range limitation

20 rounds of slugs, 20 bird shot and a box of 22s would feed me a damn long time in a survival situation. It not like we're talking about a damn safari.

20 rounds of slugs, 20 bird shot and a box of 22s would feed me a damn long time in a survival situation. It not like we're talking about a damn safari.

lol
I stopped being a boy decades ago, I bench 250 and do 1000 lbs on the 45 degree leg press.and run 2 miles in 18 minutes, twice a week.
If you're worth a hoot, you wont need half that to last a year. But who says this is ending any time soon?
I have my survival set. It's an H&R combo set:

20ga 3"
22 Hornet
22 LR sub cal insert for the Hornet

I'd have a Lee Loader and components, a small amount, for the Hornet, but I'd carry a lot of loaded ammo, both 22 LR and hornet. For the 20 gauge I'd carry only a few shells, mostly bird shot but also a few slugs and several buckshot.

sorry, but woodsbumming and being able to take almost any shot you're offered at game is not the same thing. You'd have to brain deer to take them reliably with a 22 mag. and it would be sketchy for anything larger. Why make that much noise and give up the rapidfire of the .22lr, or the power and range of the 223, when the AR is so low cost these days and so much more versatile than any .22 mag. In the autos, 22 mag bursts rims quite often. want to risk your face? wanna pay $200 to have the 22 mag rustproofed and $500 to have some smith fabricate luminous sights for it?
I stopped being a boy decades ago, I bench 250 and do 1000 lbs on the 45 degree leg press.and run 2 miles in 18 minutes, twice a week.

Catch up, you're the only one to mention boys, as in boy scouts. Don't know your own posts?
I never said anything about handgun accuracy, just that the .22 mag is weak.

If you can't hit what you're aiming at, shooting just becomes a handy way to reveal your position. I'll take the 22 mag. Final answer.
Originally Posted by luv2safari

20ga 3"
22 Hornet

I'd have a Lee Loader and components, a small amount, for the Hornet, but I'd carry a lot of loaded ammo, both 22 LR and hornet. For the 20 gauge I'd carry only a few shells, mostly bird shot but also a few slugs and several buckshot.

Nice!
Originally Posted by carbon12

The 22rimfire bullet isn't a very tight seal, but it does have some wax that helps. In extended exposure to rain, creek crossings, like an extended survival situation, it could get moisture in it. The 22WMR is jacketed, and a tight fit in the case, you cannot wiggle it with your fingers.

Of course, Ziploc bags can be a simple way to keep things dry.
Anyhoo, satir isn't looking for any good ideas. He's looking for agreement on his choice.
Ima hafta git me some a them *luminous sights*. Sounds like they's just the thing.

+1 on the M4.
22 mag has always been my killer gun at home and at camp, it may be the most underated cartridge ever made with plenty power. my choice would be a Savage o/u 22 mag-20 gauge 3 inch, i own two of these o/u`s now. i have been trying convince Savage to make a S.S. plastic stock,takedown 22 mag/20 gauge 3 inch or a 556/20 gauge 3inch with a takedown floating case for this rifle with a small pocket/case on it to hold 3 shotgun shells and a dozen 556 or 22 mag ammo that is water proof. i told them i would buy a dozen for starters
A Drilling, in something like 16ga.,, 223, 9.3

20ga 3"
22 Hornet

Nice!

We used to keep this in the airplane, back when my son was flying. I think it's just right for that purpose.
Considering how much time is spent on forums such as this arguing the virtues of different center fire cartridges and predominantly bolt guns as the carrier of said boolits in putting meat on the table, it's perplexing so many gravitate to .22's and shotguns when the subject of lone survival scenarios and gun choice pops up.

A reliable bolt action rifle in a powerful enough cartridge is more efficient at procuring ounce/meat per ounce/ammunition than most other platforms. I'd rather have a lt. wt. bolt gun in 6.5 swede/creed and a big handful of snare wire than all the shotguns and .22lr. in a Cabellas super store.

Vihjamur Stefansson proved this by spending years at a time on expedition in the arctic. http://www.thearctic.is/articles/topics/legacystefansson/enska/index.htm He and his team determined that the Mannlicher Schoenauer in 6.5x54 was the way to go and were able to hunt and eat their way across some of the most inhospitable terrain our continent has literally for years. Even Brad Angier pushed the Win. Mod 70 in 30.06 for the best all around woods running gun.

Like Ethan mentioned the geography/wildlife should be known before running off into the boonies, but even then, the center fire bolt gun has been the most popular means of filling bellies around the world for over a century.

Give me Mauser in 6.5 swede or .06 and I'd be a happy camper.
Well, wilderness survival, and survival in civil breakdown are two very different scenarios.
Savage model 24 with a 22mag over 20ga.

Elk Country
Well, wilderness survival, and survival in civil breakdown are two very different scenarios.

Agreed, I was under the assumption the OP was referring to scenarios like that on the TV show, out alone in the "wilderness". But yeah, societal breakdown and I'm still keeping my bolt gun but adding to the mix ...
Bolt action 223
Originally Posted by centershot
A bear can eat my ass after I shoot him with a 45-70 just as easy as a 556. You think it really matters Eddie? No offense intended.

What the hell are you talking about, Eddie? These bears are hunting you, not the other way around. Point blank in the dark just across the lean to shelter. A 12ga with slugs at 10ft sounds like pretty good medicine to me. 437.5gr slugs @ 1800 fps from a 12 ga generates over 3100ft/lbs. Having 5 more in the magazine for backup ain't a bad idea either. When not in use for self protection there are usually ducks, geese, ptarmigen, grouse, squirrels, etc. for sustenance.
[/quote]Ain't a satir one of them goats with a man's head?

I thought it was that funky guitar those Indian dudes pluck.
I have a double barrel 20 ga.and have a Savage model 24 22 mag /20 gauge.

I also have an insert chambered for the 30 carbine that does a nice job out to 100 yards and because the barrels are so long it is real nice on the ears.
22 magnum bolt action

I'm right there with you. I've already killed everythinvg that walks, flies or crawls from rabbits and squirrels to grouse and deer with my Marlin 882 many times over. It is very accurate for a .22 magnum {honest MOA} with it's preferred loads. I know the trajectory like the back of my hand and can kill woodchuck size critters regularly to 175 yards. Rabbits and squirrels are dead meat at 100 easily. Have killed several deer with lung shots using 40 gr hps and they've never gone more than 80 yards. Head shot they've dropped like a lead balloon. I can carry alot of ammo with me and have 4 spare 7 shot magazines and two 4 shot magazines. The rifle has never malfunctioned or broken since I bought it new in 1990 but I do have a spare extractor and firing pin on hand just in case.
12 Ga SxS with two triggers so I can pick slug or birdshot
Originally Posted by carbon12

The 22rimfire bullet isn't a very tight seal, but it does have some wax that helps. In extended exposure to rain, creek crossings, like an extended survival situation, it could get moisture in it. The 22WMR is jacketed, and a tight fit in the case, you cannot wiggle it with your fingers.

Of course, Ziploc bags can be a simple way to keep things dry.

MM,

Thanks for your response.

Makes perfect sense.

I thought someone, perhaps CE Harris, had published the results of controlled experiments on this and I missed it.
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Considering how much time is spent on forums such as this arguing the virtues of different center fire cartridges and predominantly bolt guns as the carrier of said boolits in putting meat on the table, it's perplexing so many gravitate to .22's and shotguns when the subject of lone survival scenarios and gun choice pops up.

A reliable bolt action rifle in a powerful enough cartridge is more efficient at procuring ounce/meat per ounce/ammunition than most other platforms. I'd rather have a lt. wt. bolt gun in 6.5 swede/creed and a big handful of snare wire than all the shotguns and .22lr. in a Cabellas super store.

Vihjamur Stefansson proved this by spending years at a time on expedition in the arctic. http://www.thearctic.is/articles/topics/legacystefansson/enska/index.htm He and his team determined that the Mannlicher Schoenauer in 6.5x54 was the way to go and were able to hunt and eat their way across some of the most inhospitable terrain our continent has literally for years. Even Brad Angier pushed the Win. Mod 70 in 30.06 for the best all around woods running gun.

Like Ethan mentioned the geography/wildlife should be known before running off into the boonies, but even then, the center fire bolt gun has been the most popular means of filling bellies around the world for over a century.

Give me Mauser in 6.5 swede or .06 and I'd be a happy camper.

Yeah well, we had a well known hermit that lived in a shack way back in the woods here in the Adirondacks for his entire adult life and he managed to keep hisself fed on animals big and small for all those years with traps/snares and a .22 WRF rifle. It was the only gun he was ever known to own.
People that talk schit about a 22 magnum are welcome to catch all the bullets they want, at whatever range they want!
sorry, but woodsbumming and being able to take almost any shot you're offered at game is not the same thing. You'd have to brain deer to take them reliably with a 22 mag. and it would be sketchy for anything larger. Why make that much noise and give up the rapidfire of the .22lr, or the power and range of the 223, when the AR is so low cost these days and so much more versatile than any .22 mag. In the autos, 22 mag bursts rims quite often. want to risk your face? wanna pay $200 to have the 22 mag rustproofed and $500 to have some smith fabricate luminous sights for it?
You'd better go read my post if you think you've got to brain deer with a .22 WMR to kill them reliably sonny. I've BTDT many times.
I think a 20 or 12 and .22WMR, (LR would be fine too) would do about anything needed out of a “survival gun”. The .22WMR is laughed at by the unknowing, at least in a survival situation as outlined by the OP. Survival in the case of being stranded in the northwest coastal areas of the PNW is most likely to depend on everything EXCEPT the firearm you have. You’ll die from exposure within a few days.....cold and wet.....never firing a shot.

Give me what I have for a firearm and I’ll make due. If I had the luxury to choose and assuming it survived the boat capsizing or plane crash then probably a Savage O/U in the aforementioned calibers/gauges.
Never saw the TV show so not a clue.
I saw about 10 minutes of "Survivor" once that pretty much cured me of wanting to see more like it.
What would I choose for wilderness survival?
A accurate 22 mag simple action rifle with as much ammo it likes as I can carry.
Add a roll of snare wire and I am good.
The 22 mag for humane dispatching of anything I can't by hand or knife spear.
When I was a young guy and out of work...none to be had of any kind...I fed my pregnant wife and me on venison, all shot in the eye with a 22 LR Marlin 81. I didn't need a HP rifle to do the job, and the 22 LR was quiet, something necessary for the job at hand.
When I was a young guy and out of work...none to be had of any kind...I fed my pregnant wife and me on venison, all shot in the eye with a 22 LR Marlin 81. I didn't need a HP rifle to do the job, and the 22 LR was quiet, something necessary for the job at hand.

Knew a guy that in a years time poached 450 deer with a 22lr with that shot at night. Sold them to a buyer from San Francisco for high end restaurant's.
Feeding a family is about as moral as it gets. Selling for profit is dirt bag wrong.
It works with shots to the back of the head and side of the head too. BTDT.

Hard to argue with that. My pick... my old Nylon 66 22lr 🤠
This one

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/845547307
Originally Posted by NoPa

Yes a drilling like that or a BBF would be my choice as well.
it's been done with the .22lr, too, many times, and the 223 has a lot more ability on bigger animals than turrkey and a lot more range on smaller critters than the .22 mag has. the .22 rimfire mag bullet has a terrible ballistic coefficent, especially the original Winchester blunt hp. The lighter, faster CCI bullets, with the plastic nose do consierably better vs wind and drop, but I dunno about their penetration vs big critters. 30 grs is a very small amount of lead. It might just shatter on a rib of a big critter. When you start with just 350 ft lbs, and a blunt, non-boattail bullet, you've got damned little energy left at 200 yds. 60-100 ft lbs. Start with the 1200 ft lbs of the 223, 3000 fps, not 1900 fps, and 60 grs of bullet, not 40 grs, and you've got a lot more leeway for very minor errors in accuracy.
https://www.mcarbo.com/22-wmr-ballistics-chart.aspx
Ever checked out the accuracy of a drilling? :-) The Savage combo rifle/shotgun is about as far as you want to stretch that bs. Use the 30-30 barrel with a chamber insert to .32 ACP, and the 20 ga 3" shell, if you like to run out of ammo quickly.
Originally Posted by haverluk
Originally Posted by NoPa

Yes a drilling like that or a BBF would be my choice as well.

Had that same model Sauer and had a good wood guy reduce the forend to a substantial splinter. It had a 1.5-6 Zeiss in claws. As poverty comes and goes with me, I sold it to get by for a while. It was a very good drilling. I wish I had it back.

This inexpensive Valmet 300 series BBF in 12ga and 222 Rem would be a good choice. Put an MCA chamber adapter ($28.00 plus $4.00 shipping for the stainless), 22LR for the 222, along with it, and it's a real capable survival gun. These break down to 23 1/2" and fit nicely in a backpack. With the Factory Sako rings, the scope is QD and goes back to zero.

A 22 mag is very capable. Not sure it would be my choice for my only gun. But it will kill everything there is where I live. Shot placement is critical on bigger stuff. But most of them I have seen shoot well.
Ever checked out the accuracy of a drilling? :-) The Savage combo rifle/shotgun is about as far as you want to stretch that bs. Use the 30-30 barrel with a chamber insert to .32 ACP, and the 20 ga 3" shell, if you like to run out of ammo quickly.
Yes, I have. It is a 100 meter set up. I have taken metric tons of game with them. That said, I do prefer a quality BBF for you exact reason cited. A quality BBF will do it all. Similar to the Savage 24 but vastly more effective and useful. I prefer the Blaser 95/97, Merkel B3 or a Heym 26 for these roles.
it's been done with the .22lr, too, many times, and the 223 has a lot more ability on bigger animals than turrkey and a lot more range on smaller critters than the .22 mag has. the .22 rimfire mag bullet has a terrible ballistic coefficent, especially the original Winchester blunt hp. The lighter, faster CCI bullets, with the plastic nose do consierably better vs wind and drop, but I dunno about their penetration vs big critters. 30 grs is a very small amount of lead. It might just shatter on a rib of a big critter. When you start with just 350 ft lbs, and a blunt, non-boattail bullet, you've got damned little energy left at 200 yds. 60-100 ft lbs. Start with the 1200 ft lbs of the 223, 3000 fps, not 1900 fps, and 60 grs of bullet, not 40 grs, and you've got a lot more leeway for very minor errors in accuracy.
https://www.mcarbo.com/22-wmr-ballistics-chart.aspx
The 40 gr hp's have a higher BC than the 30 gr v-max and penetrate way better. I've shot the Win. 40 gr jhp completely through the chest cavity of full grown whitetails several times. They mushroom, hold together and penetrate way better than any of the lighter, faster bullets. Long after you're out of ammo for your .223 I'll still have a loaded .22 mag..

Have you? I have with over 200 drillings in my lifetime. Here are a few on hand right now. With their set triggers they shoot extremely accurately. If the einstecklaufs are properly installed and regulated they shoot dead nuts on, also. I've taken the heads off many grouse with them.

You're an uninformed idiot.

.375 H&H loaded with either a 300 grain Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame. Plus some 300 grain Woodleigh solids.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
.375 H&H loaded with either a 300 grain Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame. Plus some 300 grain Woodleigh solids.

LOL...what that hits wouldn't survive. grin
which gun would you pick, in which caliber, what load(s) how much ammo and why? I'd take an M4 in 223, with a $160, 3/4 lb .CMMG .22lr conversion unit. I'd mostly leave it in .22lr firing "mode", cause most shots are at small game. I'd want 1 in 9" twist rifling, for use with the 60 gr Subsonic Aquila .22 load and 60 gr Nosler Partition softpoints in the 223. I'd want a scope with a see thru mount, and luminous iron sights and a RRA drop in NM trigger job. Having both a centerfire and quiet rimfire is an advantage. Now and then, rapid fire is an advantage and it comes with a dark reflective finish, and can be had with a chromed bore and chamber. I can brain big critters with it to 100m or so, take deer, pronghorn, hogs to 150m with chest hits, too. On snow, 6" or less, in the early morning, or with a dog that would follow a trail., I'd risk a shot on such small "big game' to 200m, too, if needed the meat badly, as long as I could use a braced firing position, so as to put that bullet within 3" of where I wanted it. The caliber swap can be discretely done in 20 seconds, the .22 unit's POI is always less than 2" off of the 223 POI, at 50m. and some are much closer. Groups are always 2" or less at 50m, too, if you haven't chosen the 1 in 7" rifling twist.. I'd want 60 rds of 223 (2 lbs) and 500 rds of the Aquila 60 gr .22's (3 lbs) With the 7 lbs of scoped M4, the 14 lb total is feasible to lug around. You have to cover a lot of ground, nearly everywhere on earth to live by foraging. That much ammo, along with traps, snares, netting, trotlines, fish poison, bird lime, etc, should last me for at least 10 years.

Couple of questions come to mind.
-Are you a marketing rep for CMMG?
-Are you gearing up for Hollywood or the real world?
-Do you have much experience in survival mode or just speculating?
-Ever had any success finding precision with .221-.222 lead bullets in a .224" groove barrel?

Curious minds...
wink

For what? there's very few elephants anywhere. Most of the time, what you'll be shooting is watefowl and rabbits. This sort of retarded load is pointless. What you want on dangerous game is a BAR 338, so you can have fast repeat hits. You put a softpoint behind the shoulder and then put solids up his butt as he flees.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

-Ever had any success finding precision with .221-.222 lead bullets in a .224" groove barrel?

Curious minds...

who says you need precision on small game? The .22 units group 2" or better at 50m, which is 2x as good accuracy as is needed. I've taken a truckload of critters with handguns that didn't group half that well. The .22lr bullet is .223", and it easily obtures enough to seal the bore well and grip the rifling. I most certainly am talking about a real world preppper's rifle. I've done a helluva lot of poaching, trapping and netting over the years. I've lived out of a backpack for a couple of months in the woods once. It gets pretty lean in the winter, if you aint preserved 100's of lbs of food. Millions of small critters have fallen to arrows, throwing sticks, etc over the millennia. Anyone who's any good can get within 10m of lots of small critters, when you actually live out there with them, it's mostly just a case of always having the gun at hand. Any farmer or rancher knows this. As a kid, i killed several groundhogs and a couple of coons with clubs I killed one with a doubled over log-chain, one with an overshoe. :-) There was nothing else at hand, so I flailed him on the head until he looked dazed. Then I grabbed him by the tail and cracked his head on the pavement a few tiimes.
Cause I like the .375 and it'll handle anything that walks the earth with no problems. If you only want answers that support yours you are going to be disappointed. Also you have deer,antelope and hogs in your OP,I did not see waterfowl or some such nonsense.
Cause I like the .375 and it'll handle anything that walks the earth with no problems. If you only want answers that support yours you are going to be disappointed. Also you have deer,antelope and hogs in your OP,I did not see waterfowl or some such nonsense.

And a Webley-Fosbery .455 autoloading revolver for back up.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

And a Webley-Fosbery .455 autoloading revolver for back up.

That'll work. wink
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Over and under 12 gauge and 243 win.

winner
my suppressed 10/22 ruger, 3-9 Nikon, with 500 rounds in each front jeans pocket, solids and hp's, six 25 round mags loaded and ready in back pockets, piece of cake for anything.
I killed a coral snake once with my flipflop, Clark!

Curious minds...

who says you need precision on small game? The .22 units group 2" or better at 50m, which is 2x as good accuracy as is needed. I've taken a truckload of critters with handguns that didn't group half that well. The .22lr bullet is .223", and it easily obtures enough to seal the bore well and grip the rifling. I most certainly am talking about a real world preppper's rifle. I've done a helluva lot of poaching, trapping and netting over the years. I've lived out of a backpack for a couple of months in the woods once. It gets pretty lean in the winter, if you aint preserved 100's of lbs of food. Millions of small critters have fallen to arrows, throwing sticks, etc over the millennia. Anyone who's any good can get within 10m of lots of small critters, when you actually live out there with them, it's mostly just a case of always having the gun at hand. Any farmer or rancher knows this. As a kid, i killed several groundhogs and a couple of coons with clubs I killed one with a doubled over log-chain, one with an overshoe. :-) There was nothing else at hand, so I flailed him on the head until he looked dazed. Then I grabbed him by the tail and cracked his head on the pavement a few tiimes.
Kellory ! Where you been lately ? Killed any deer with your shoelaces recently ?
Plenty people did it before. I reckon it depends where you are , what you're surviving and how much money you have.

Ruger 10-22 stainless Hogue-stocked takedown

15-round Ruger magazines

CCI Velocitors in ziplock bags

Big or small, it'll kill 'em all. Quietly.
I blew out my pod pot!

Can’t quite picture you wearing flipflops 😳
The author of our original post just can not make up his mind.

Are you all alone in the wilderness with scads of game to shoot?

If that is the case, there is certainly no reason to be concerned with noise levels. A loudenboomer just might guide a rescue party to your location.

Or is it a SHTF, end of civilization event?

Does anyone here remember how much game was actually around in the late thirties and through the forties?

I was born in '56, but my Dad and Uncles talked at length about what the depression did to game populations. In Idaho, deer and elk were wiped out anywhere near a human population. We did not see elk again in the low mountains until the sixties.

Bunny rabbits, quail, pheasant, turkey, deer, elk, and antelope populations would not last a month when the also armed starving hordes from the cities swarm over the countryside. I certainly have no illusions that we could protect the cows and horses in my pasture. Though we could make it damned costly to those trying to cart them off.

Once again, the M1 A. A good accurate one should be able to drop a predator of cows at 800 yds.

And hey, if times are despaerate, humans are made of meat also.
A Ruger #1 in .357 mag would work for me. I’d use .38 specials with a low velocity round nose cast bullet for small game and birds, high velocity magnum hollow points for deer and 180 grain hard cast for larger stuff.
A proud poacher are ya?

Let us know when you figure the difference between facts, fiction and fantasy.
Originally Posted by gunner500
my suppressed 10/22 ruger, 3-9 Nikon, with 500 rounds in each front jeans pocket, solids and hp's, six 25 round mags loaded and ready in back pockets, piece of cake for anything.

I like that idea. cool

I like that idea. cool

It's 'quiet' effective L2S. wink

I like that idea. cool

+ 1
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I like that idea. cool

+ 1

I laughed at a bud awhile back that was laughing at one of Wifes CCW pistols, a 22LR, I ask, hey crackhead, you don't think a woman standing up and tattooing your ass with 22LR hp's will make you quit doing what you're doing?

He smirked, I said, you have again, undoubtedly, picked the wrong week to stop huffing paint ; ]
10/22s with a can are remarkably functional tools.
10/22s with a can are remarkably functional tools.

You bet DD. smile
Looking forward to the 200 yard shoot-off with satir/funny guy and his trusty 9mm. Ya know, he's such a dumbfucque he kinda reminds me of Travis.
Looking forward to the 200 yard shoot-off with satir/funny guy and his trusty 9mm. Ya know, he's such a dumbfucque he kinda reminds me of Travis.

LOL, yup, glad to have tra-clar-dav back ; ]
1 Avril is just around the corner.

And we must reach the mystery of the missing 'E' ; ]

I like that idea. cool

pretty silly,, without NVD goggle, passive IR scanner, solar charger, night sights, and subsonic ammo. THEN it would be effective, but in daytime, with supersonic ammo, You''ll get plinked from 200m It's ok, vs small game, maybe braiing deer to 50m, but that's not enough. It's a lot better choice than bolt actions or single shots, tho. Good enough for the hunt thing, but not for "anything". Anything means combat, too and it would be a serious handicap for daytime hostilties. you'd have to remain hidden during the day and have night vision, night sights.

it's not my fault that you can't read. I said nothing about using the pistol at 200 yds. That was somebody just as inept as you are said that.
you're completely fos. anyone taking cattle would do so at night and you couldn't hit him at 80 yds, much less 800 yds. In the lower 48 states, there's no place remote enough that you'd have any need of a survival rifle unless it was shtf. Why would YOU need to forage, and nobody else, does, hmm? If they do, plenty of them will shoot you on sight and it only takes one. The 308 can has to be so big and heavy (to truly suppress the subsonic load waf) that the gun becomes as bipod-only clunk. It's nearly that already and when you add 1.5 lbs and 10" of can to the muzzle, it's like having a 32" barreled shotgun. WAY too long. Classic dunning-kruger effect. You think everyone else is as dumb as you are.
Luminescent sights is where it's at, for night shooting cows.

At 200 yards.

With your 9mm.

it's not my fault that you can't read. I said nothing about using the pistol at 200 yds. That was somebody just as inept as you are said that.

Do you have a son named Maser?

Perhaps related to him since you’re from the same geographical area as him? Just wondering. Thanks. 👍
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Do you have a son named Maser?

Perhaps related to him since you’re from the same geographical area as him? Just wondering. Thanks. 👍
Satir is pretty bad-assed, just axe him. I think he maybe be grampaw maser that was stalking maser and his wife's/girlfriend's kid as they hid in the closet and maser's girlfriend kicked grampaw's ass.

I'd practice running and hiding a lot with the 10-22, along Gunnar's lines.

I'm sure there would be heavier weapons around just for the picking up. For awhile anyway.

The idea is to NOT get into firefights with the mostest and bestest. Yours or theirs.

A .22 will take any animal on the NA continent if needed for food. If, as pointed out, available. One can carry a lot of ammo with that kind of weight penalty.

4 lbs of ammo and that much bulk in a in jeans pocket? I dont think so. The scope has to be in a see thru mount so you can swiftly use the luminous irons. I use 7/8" OD scopes on 22's, especially the little Marlin Papoose. The full size and weight scopes on such a little rifle look and feel silly. 9 x is a little silly on a mere .22lr. I use the 2x7, but the 7x is just for scanning, as a substitute for a binocular. I wish they made a 1x6 in 7/8" OD scopes. With a luminous dot in the center, I wouldn't need the iron sights.
years ago, I tried some of the 60 gr Aquila subsonic 22 ammo in a 1022 and a 6 3/4" 22-45. I didn't really work on it, just 3 semi fast rds from each, over the hood of the van, at 25m.About 1" group with the rifle, 2" or so with the pistol, no sign of keyholing. But when I tried the same ammo, at 10m, with a Sig (actually Filipino) 22lr variant of the 1911, I got full-on keyholes, all shots. That long bullet needs the 1 in 9" twist in the AR barrels, thru the conversion unit. Normal twist rate for .22lr is 1 in 16".

in this hypothetical situation, Are we time traveling back 66 minion years ago as well?

could satir….really be tex.....did "tex"...move to Florida?......bob
This minus the pistola, Im taking the Pig Sticker also
It is sharp as fugg..... multiuse....

4 or 5 full mags
60 days ..... pffft......
Lol!!!
Clean this fugga in the creek if I get bored ,and wipe it down with a dirty sock afterwards.
Use some fugging grease/fat from whatever I kill and cook if I wanta lube it up a little.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by renegade50

4 or 5 full mags
Lol!!!
Clean this fugga in the creek if I get bored ,and wipe it down with a dirty sock afterwards.
Use some fugging grease/fat from whatever I kill and cook if I wanta lube it up a little.
[Linked Image]
Kicks too much for satyr.

4 or 5 full mags
Lol!!!
[Linked Image]

Won't work. No luminescent sights.

Rene FAIL.
I would want an AR 223
Seems almost like cheating, really two guns in one.

But a combination gun like others mentioned seems like the best choice. .22 lr for low noise, low weight for a substantial amount of ammunition, even variety of ammunition. Think I would want the rifle sighted in for a subsonic heavy round for lowest noise.
For second barrel I am torn between a shotgun (and if so 12 or 20 gauge) or a centerfire rifle, .223 or .308. Leaning toward 12 gauge for short range defensive ability and variety of ammunition. The downside is the weight and bulk of the ammo, which would be offset a bit if going with a 20 gauge. Betting the shotgun would rarely be fired.

4 or 5 full mags
Lol!!!
[Linked Image]

Won't work. No luminescent sights.

Rene FAIL.

Fugg.......you just yanked the football away from me like Lucy does to Charlie Brown every dammmm time...
Hard to believe that it took until page 3 to mention a Savage M24. My .22 mag. / 20 gauge 3" M24 DL with the Williams peep would sure be my choice. 40 grain solids don't mess up small game and 20 gauge slugs hit where the .22 bullets do at 50 yards.

4 or 5 full mags
Lol!!!
[Linked Image]
Kicks too much for satyr.

But but but but...
It has a fighter brake on it.
That helps with the " awesome" recoil a 7.62x39 has...
crazy laugh

Brake keeps ya on target and keeps the beaten zone really fugging tight during rapid fire.

Take a 2 to 2.5 inch moa at 100yds 100% reliable gun that can put hard concentrated rapid fire on schit in any condition any day of the week over some of these other choices on here

JMO.......
Originally Posted by Windfall
Hard to believe that it took until page 3 to mention a Savage M24. My .22 mag. / 20 gauge 3" M24 DL with the Williams peep would sure be my choice. 40 grain solids don't mess up small game and 20 gauge slugs hit where the .22 bullets do at 50 yards.

Like this!

I think I would still opt for .22LR over .22 magnum just for the lower noise.

I like that idea. cool

pretty silly,, without NVD goggle, passive IR scanner, solar charger, night sights, and subsonic ammo. THEN it would be effective, but in daytime, with supersonic ammo, You''ll get plinked from 200m It's ok, vs small game, maybe braiing deer to 50m, but that's not enough. It's a lot better choice than bolt actions or single shots, tho. Good enough for the hunt thing, but not for "anything". Anything means combat, too and it would be a serious handicap for daytime hostilties. you'd have to remain hidden during the day and have night vision, night sights.

Dudes in a posting panic, somebody get him back on his meds.
My choice, Browning 78, in 45-70 or 45-90. With a supply of brass, I could going on. I could cast my own bullets, black powder is easier for a survivalist to produce than smokeless. Admittedly I would a supply of primers, but I would probably still be shooting long after firearms which on smokeless powders have migrated to being just clubs.

I like that idea. cool

Dudes in a posting panic, somebody get him back on his meds.

He also forgot the space modulator.
crazy laugh

But but but but...
crazy laugh

Brake keeps ya on target and keeps the beaten zone really fugging tight during rapid fire.

Take a 2 to 2.5 inch moa at 100yds 100% reliable gun that can put hard concentrated rapid fire on schit in any condition any day of the week over some of these other choices on here
JMO.......

You got a chainsaw stowed in the buttstock?

No, I didn't think so.

And if you did, it'd probly be a McCulloch, which of curse won't work because it doesn't have luminescent sights.
Originally Posted by Lennie
My choice, Browning 78, in 45-70 or 45-90. With a supply of brass, I could going on. I could cast my own bullets, black powder is easier for a survivalist to produce than smokeless. Admittedly I would a supply of primers, but I would probably still be shooting long after firearms which on smokeless powders have migrated to being just clubs.

Nice thing abot the straight wall cartridges would be that you can fashion shot cartridges out of them as well. But seriously, how many 45-90 cartridges can you carry in your wagon, like 7?

But but but but...
crazy laugh

JMO.......

You got a chainsaw stowed in the buttstock?

No, I didn't think so.

And if you did, it'd probly be a McCulloch, which of curse won't work because it doesn't have luminescent sights.

Poulan wild thing man!!!!
Lol!!!
Poulans are so.... 1980.
you're completely fos. anyone taking cattle would do so at night and you couldn't hit him at 80 yds, much less 800 yds. In the lower 48 states, there's no place remote enough that you'd have any need of a survival rifle unless it was shtf. Why would YOU need to forage, and nobody else, does, hmm? If they do, plenty of them will shoot you on sight and it only takes one. The 308 can has to be so big and heavy (to truly suppress the subsonic load waf) that the gun becomes as bipod-only clunk. It's nearly that already and when you add 1.5 lbs and 10" of can to the muzzle, it's like having a 32" barreled shotgun. WAY too long. Classic dunning-kruger effect. You think everyone else is as dumb as you are.

Yep, that's what I thought. You are about as bright as Glock doofus. Possibly an alter ego.
So Long!
In regards to the OP. Ruger 77/22 SS boat paddle in 22lr preferable with sights and a 4x scope.
Back to the original post, I think the guy was talking about Vancouver Island...+100 inches of rain annually, a schitload of big black bear, a few deer, abundant small game, quite a bit of food in the tidal zone. One of the most robust guns I can think of would be the trapdoor 45-70. Cutdown beater would work. The 500 gr lead for bruin and blacktail, the .410 2 1/2" birdshot for snacks and hors d'oeuvres. Just a thought. A lot of commercial guns are not very robust when you are talking saltwater environment and over a hundred inches of rain. The coilsprings in guns like the H&R and Savages do not hold up well on a workboat, this I know.
they've had 3 other sites, it's not just VI and nobody said anything about any time limit, or any size of land limit. You start blasting around with anything noisy and you'll lose your best food source, the net-weirs for waterfowl. I figured there'd be some moron wantng to use a flintlock. :-) So he could have lots of misfires, corrosion, flinching, damage to the eyes, have to pull charges and clean lube the pos constantly. If you "think' you'll walk around vancouver island, other than the shoreline, you know nothing about the place season 4, it took all of them at least 8 days to cover 10 lousy miles. the vegetation is that thick, the terrainis that mountainous and cut up by gorges.
not everyone is as dumb as you are. cattle are 10m thing, with the 60 gr subsonic 22, thru the aR's 223 suppressor and .22lr conversion unit.
Originally Posted by hanco
I would want an AR 223

not nearly as good a choice as if you have the suppressor and .22lr conversion unit with.

I know that you're stupid, but it's hard to believe that you're THIS stupid. I never said anything about long range, I just said that the 22 mag rifle, at the muzzle, hits no harder than a 9mm pistol. The 223 hits harder at half a mile than the 22 mag hits at 200 yds. So you're completely on the wrong track, dumbass.
Originally Posted by cv540
Seems almost like cheating, really two guns in one.

But a combination gun like others mentioned seems like the best choice. .22 lr for low noise, low weight for a substantial amount of ammunition, even variety of ammunition. Think I would want the rifle sighted in for a subsonic heavy round for lowest noise.
For second barrel I am torn between a shotgun (and if so 12 or 20 gauge) or a centerfire rifle, .223 or .308. Leaning toward 12 gauge for short range defensive ability and variety of ammunition. The downside is the weight and bulk of the ammo, which would be offset a bit if going with a 20 gauge. Betting the shotgun would rarely be fired.

the shotgun is so inferor that it's a joke. you can get a .22 chamber converter for the 222 or 223 barrels, and a .32 ACP chamber insert for the 30-30, or 308. But there's no reason at all to give up rapidfire, silencer, luminum sights, corrosion resistance, etc advantages of the AR with .22lr unit. You're thinking is about on the level of a 13 year old kid, actually.

some hunter you are, never notice that there's watefowl almost every where. There's a LOT more small game than big game and a big animal requires a helluva lot fo salt, and effort to preserve the meat and then a lot more concern about not losing the meat to rodents, predators, insects, etc. Need crockery to prevent that, or metal-glass containers and you wont have them.
If shtf, dogs are going to run all the livestock to death, and then the big game, too. They'll run it in front of people who'll woound it, then the dogs will eat it. People live ina fantasy world. 99% will starve within a year if shtf, those that are not killed, die of diseases, fire, dehydration, suicide, etc. It's going to be hell on earth, even if you do have food buried.
"like' has no basis in reality, unless you can escblish WHY it should be liked There is no reason to settle for a bolt action and no reason to bother with an elephant roujnd anywhere but Africa. It's nearly useless for much of anything else. So you'd be lugging it around for nothing. are you that unable to see reality? " WAAA!, I LIKE it! I want what I want. MOMMY!
Originally Posted by Blackheart
You'd better go read my post if you think you've got to brain deer with a .22 WMR to kill them reliably sonny. I've BTDT many times.

[bleep] you, pops. Sure, you can shoot them in the lung, have them suffer for half an hour while they run/walk a mile into the brush and loose them. I never said any different Same thing si true of .22lrr and you're giving up the 223's much greater power, penetration range, availability, and the silence, rapidfire, cheap training, indoor range welcome, et of the 22 unit. See, people like you have NIH syndrome. YOU didn't think of it, so it can't be waf. I thoughnt of the .22 mag 55 years ago, before there was a .22 unit for the AR. But ther'es been one since about 1977, so wake up and smell the coffer. There's simply no way in hell that you've thought about anything related to survival, guns or hunting that I haven't thought of 100x as much, count on it. I've done little else for all these years. I've got 100,000 hours of it.
© 24hourcampfire