Home
Looking at The Toyo Open Country A/T II - or the Cooper DISCOVERER AT3 XLT

Just for everyday Ranch use and Highway mileage.

I’ve always run the MICHELIN LTX A2, But several folks are recommending the Toyo’s and some are recommending the Cooper’s.
Not familiar, but I’ve had good luck with the Michelin’s you mention.
Toyo
Both are good 10 ply all terrain tires, I have a set of each on my 3/4 ton work pickups now. I drive a lot of rock roads, both are chipped some but have done as well or better than anything else I’ve tried.

I’ll also say that the only tires I’ve ever gotten 50k + miles out of on my dodge 2500 Diesel were Michelins. They are more expensive but they last very well in my experience. The ones I had were more of a highway tread than true ATs though
Jap vs USA?
Yep. I’ve had good luck with not getting flats with the Michelin’s. But they absolutely suck in the mud. And they hydroplane way too much to suit me.

Want to hear from the folks that run the Toto’s and Cooper’s.
That’s why I moved away from the Michelins after 2 sets as well.

When I say I’m running a set of each of the cooper and Toyo you mentioned, I mean those exact tires. What do you want to know specifically?
Check out Nitto Terra Grapplers. I got 55k on my F350 Diesel and they still have another 5-7k left. Relatively Quiet. Great on wet pavement. Had them on my Tacoma many years ago and had the same experience.
Been running falken wildpeakes myself. Might be worth a look.
On my pickup the coopers are out lasting toyo! Heavy front wear from the diesel weight! Toyo seemed to have harder rubber, and wore faster! Just my opinion. Both are good tires.
I just bought another set of AT3's for my f150.

Pretty good all around other than super deep snow.
Toyo is famous for surviving I-10 in Arizona in the summer. 80mph, 140 deg surface temp. I run 'em on my work pickup, 2nd set, no complaints, last set got 38,000 on 20% dirt and 80% pavement. Almost all mountain driving. I mounted both sets myself, noticed the sidewalls were pretty stiff compared some other load range E tires I have used.
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Check out Nitto Terra Grapplers. I got 55k on my F350 Diesel and they still have another 5-7k left. Relatively Quiet. Great on wet pavement. Had them on my Tacoma many years ago and had the same experience.

I have a set of those on my Chevy 1500 4x4.. I’m also at 55k with a little life left. But I only got 35k out of those of my dodge 2500. Seemed to have gotten chewed up and worn down by rocky roads pretty quickly. I think they do fine when majority of miles are on paved roads
My mileage was 95% highway
Michelin makes the best tires, period. However, as you stated, they're not the best for off road or in the mud. If longevity is what you're looking for, besides the LTX, check out the Nitto Dura Grapplers. Toyo also makes a pretty decent truck tire. The AT II is a good choice. If you're looking for something a bit more aggressive, both Nitto and Toyo have some great choices available. Although Cooper tires are popular, they would be towards the bottom of my list - I believe Michelin, Toyo & Nitto makes better tires.
Michelin Defender’s.
Had a set of cooper atp’s on a 2500 diesel. They were nice tires but I had a belt failure on one and a few flats. Other than that I was happy with them. The only other tires I have ever had a belt failure was a set of no-name sport kings. I switched to the bfg ko2 (Michelin is the parent company if it makes a difference). The toyos seem to get good reviews but they didn’t really seem as aggressive as I wanted. We will see how these bfg’s do.
Cooper discoverer atv3 are something I've gone to in the last 10ish years on Tahoe's to 1500's. they wear out great with proper rotation, and you can find them for decent money if you look hard enough
Just changed out a set of Michelins for another set of Michelins. Got 80,000 miles out of the first set, which was a replacement for the factory Bridgestones which had a horrible ride when I bought the truck with 20000 miles on it. Michelins have been great in Wisconsin snow.
Cooper is way better than the toyo’s AT’s.
You guys sure like those Coopers.

I just cant seem to warm up to them.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Looking at The Toyo Open Country A/T II - or the Cooper DISCOVERER AT3 XLT ...
I’ve always run the MICHELIN LTX A2, But several folks are recommending the Toyo’s and some are recommending the Cooper’s.

I've been running the LTX AT2 also; great tires with long life, extremely comfortable ride and no road noise; but these have been recently discontinued.

Here is a review on the TOYO:
http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/parts-accessories/1303-8l-toyo-open-country-a-t-ii-review/
Toyo
Run the Toyo open country AT on my dodge 1 ton.

Work well on the highway. Even with 4by4, Not so much in the mud. Doesn’t help with a heavy as$ diesel motor in the front either.

I choose Toyo/Nitto, they are the same company, but I also value puncture resistance on sharp rock more than anything. And am willing to make trade offs for it.

However, out of your choices I would go AT3. That is a solid tire.
Running Coopers on the hunting truck and a Dodge 2500. Both 33's. Love them both on and off road.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've had good luck with Toyos, especially off road.

Not sure how the Toyo's will work but the MICHELIN LTX A2 are the best on road off road tires I have ever used and will be what I put on my Colorado ZR2 when I replace the factory Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture zr2.jpg
Data point of one: Put one set of Toyo tires on my 3/4ton SRW Dodge when it was my daily driver. Went back to Michelin LTX M/S. Smoother ride. And slightly better fuel economy. 0.5 to 1.0 MPG better.

There are lot of guys in our county running Coopers. However, never warmed up to the Coopers, personally.
How much more are BF Goodrich?
coopers get really loud after half tread wear.toyo's have held up really good on my gmc. my first set but I like them. buddy got 90,000 out of his first set.
Yokohama Geolandar A-T G015.

There's both a P version and a T version. Make sure you get the T. Stiffer sidewalls.

I looked at Toyo and Cooper and was shocked at how much they cost. These were at least $125 per tire cheaper.

The conditions where I hunt is likely similar to yours, lots of clay, except I get frozen ground and snow. These tires excels at everything except ice, but it is mountain rated so I can drive in BC during the winter.

They are nice on the highway, but you always wish for quieter, less road hum. To me they are quiet, to my daughter's, they are noisy. Spoiled brats. They weren't around for the old lug tires.

A good all around AT tire. Way better than original Goodyear Wranglers.
I got Copper ATs installed on my Z71. Meh, I don’t think think are lasting as long as they should. But it’s hard to get a tire that covers it all.

Long tread life usually means p iss poor performance on ice. Then there is snow and mud up here also. I might go with the more aggressive Coppers the next time.
Ran/run both on our sequoia's. The Toyo's seem to wear better and as someone else mentioned, quieter ride. No difference in rain, snow. We'll stick with the Toyo's unless B.F.G. brings the Rugged Terrain back to market.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Running Coopers on the hunting truck and a Dodge 2500. Both 33's. Love them both on and off road.

Them ain't Cooper AT3's........

3 ply sidewall ST Maxx......Got 'em too & like em...

Little overkill on the Taco.......but a good strong tire

Busted a Cooper AT3 SL w/3K miles 2 yrs ago...graded rocky BLM road

my first & last set.....

although not either of your suggestions....

these Goodyear Wrangler Ultra Terrains w/18/32" of meaty tread

Just put these on the older '05 Taco....E rated 265-75x16's...USA mfg

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/goodyear-wrangler-ultraterrain-at

Cooper 285/16s on my 01 f250 outlasted BFGs big time so I just put a new set on and there $300 less as well
I have had many Toyos with no major complaints. The last set of tire that I bought, however, were the Open Range A/t from Schwab. They seem fantastic and are the quietest A/T that I have ever run.
Although we are off subject a bit. I have had mane 10ply ( E rated ) on my GMC 2500 with a diesel engine . Have Coopers on them and they will go to about 65,000 mi. The BF Goodrich lasted 72,000 mi. The only tire I did not like was the original Firestones of some sort. However, these were all highway tires.As for cars, anything Walmart sells lasts about 20,000 miles on the front . I dont know if it is cause it's Walmart or cause its front wheel drive. Yes, I'm a bit off subject but I honestly wonder if Walmart is given a lower quality tire. Some say Cooper!!! Then the next poster insist they are junk!! !!!! Why? I have read box stores get lower quality and have seen that from 2x4's to lawn mowers to kitchen faucets. Maybe its tires too. ???
I have used the Toyo AT ll on my Ram 1500 4WD and on my mostly off road Jeep Cherokee. I ran 10 plys on the Ram, did some towing (about 5000 miles) but mostly highway miles, we have lots of rough and windy highways in my part of the world but I got 55,000 miles out of them. On the Cherokee (6 plys) I got about 35,000 but most all of that was on bad gravel roads and back country trails.

The Bad - I got in trouble with them on both outfits though, the traction on ice is terrible with them. They are hard enough that a few times when it was on a pure ice surface there was no traction at all and I ended up sliding into a ditch or out into the sagebrush. None of the incidents were at a high uncontrolled speed just a slide that could not be stopped because of lack of traction. Good traction on gravel and snow though.

p.s. - not all Toyos are made overseas, the ones on the Cherokee were made in Japan, the ones on the Ram were made in the USA.

drover
Originally Posted by tikkanut

although not either of your suggestions....

these Goodyear Wrangler Ultra Terrains w/18/32" of meaty tread

Just put these on the older '05 Taco....E rated 265-75x16's...USA mfg

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/goodyear-wrangler-ultraterrain-at

Haven’t heard much about those, but they are quite a bit cheaper! I’ll look into them.
It’s for one of our old 3/4 ton pickups I use mostly at the Ranch, and to pull my Travel Trailer every great once in a while.
Like I mentioned, the Toyo’s and Cooper’s were highly recommend. I’ll consider the Goodyear Wrangler’s now too, after I go take a look at them. Thanks Tikkanut !

Goodyear Wrangler Ultra is Discount Tire exclusive

I like 'em......prob go on my Chevy 2500 HD crew next summer
Coopers....F150 4WD and the set is approaching 60K miles in good shape. It had Toyos from the factory and I'll never have another set of trash tires like that. Got almost 13k miles with them.
Give the Toyo M-55 a look.
Cooper AT3...hands down
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Goodyear Wrangler Ultra is Discount Tire exclusive

I like 'em......prob go on my Chevy 2500 HD crew next summer

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Me neither. Cooper are like the "Vortex" line of pickup tires.

If I just wanted "tough" and didn't have to worry about snow/ice I'd get Toyo M-55's with my 2nd choice being Michelin LTX. If running in snow/ice for any part of the year, Nitto Exo Grapplers.
I like the Cooper ST Maxx and haven't had any issues.

They might not last as long as some others but I don't drive that particular pickup enough to care.
If coopers are like vortex then i know 100% not to buy anothers set. Toyo’s last way longer with less road noise
Cooper AT3.
Cooper Discoverers made my 2006 F150 drive like new. the truck has 162,000 miles on it, and these are the first tires that make it drive like it is supposed to.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

They might not last as long as some others but I don't drive that particular pickup enough to care.

+1

Though I do drive mine a fair bit. But I don't swap out for studs or winter tires.

Those things start to rattle and shake worse than a lopsided wash machine after a few thousand miles.
Gruff, only been stuck once cuzzin'.

Down in the sand!

Jim, I have not had that issue. This last set might not have ever been rotated and I can cruise 70-80mph down the highway in the ol' Ford smoother than a Cadillac.

The drivers are wearing a little funky but zero vibration.
(and they are 3/4 wore out)

Falken
I have 10 ply Coopers from discount tire direct on my Tundra. I love them.
Just put another set of falkens on my pu today. The shop didn't put the lead weights on them to balance them, just put a bean bag inside the tire when mounting them no balancing them. Drove the truck up the road and ran smooth. Anyone else ever get the bean bag weights?
Can't go wrong with either of those, I'm trying the AT 2's currently. No complaints.

May try the Coopers next time

Mike
My Cooper at3 had a catastrophic sidewall blowout when I was running 25 mph down a dirt road pulling 6K lbs. I about ended up in a dump ditch. The tire shop gave me whatever I wanted. I chose toyo atII extremes. Haven't regreted that for the last 55K miles.
Question for the Michelin fans. My Tundra OEM tires were the Michelin LTX AT/2. Are these the tires that you guys like? I ask because they had terrible sidewall flex, in corners on pavement. Once I got them off the wheels they were more like a car tire than a truck tire. Weak carcass, and overall very flimsy.

Or, are you guys running a different LTX? Maybe a 10-ply equivalent?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I love my Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Had 2 sets of Cooper Discovery SST before moving over to the Nittos.

Nittos are quieter and better wet traction. A much better road tire imo.

The Coopers were a little more aggressive and great in the mud.

There is no wrong answer.
Have had a couple of sets of Cooper AT3 and liked them. Pretty good in snow and mud (within reason) and wore well. Quiet enough on the highway as well
+1 on the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Only about 15k on my set but have so far been great all around; pavement, mud & snow. So far tread life seems pretty good too.
I've had good luck with Cooper AT/3's. I just replaced a set with 57,000 miles on them and could have probably gotten 5000 more. With winter and snow coming I wanted better tires though. But Cooper has changed their marketing. I used to buy them from a small independent shop here at good prices. My dealer says Cooper will no longer sell direct to him, only to the big guys now. He can still get them, but they are going to cost a lot more than before.

He recommended these to me.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=Encounter+AT

He told me that they are the same tire, made in the same factory as the Falken Wildpeak which is well thought of. I was leaning that way, but the guy I've been buying tires from for about 30 years decided it was time to retire. He closed his shop before I got ready to buy.

I found these at our local Sams Club instead.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+All+Terrain+Plus

I paid for them on Black Friday and got a pretty good discount, $814 OTD for a set of E rated LT275/70/18's. That was cheaper than I could have gotten Cooper, or Falken. The photo doesn't do a good job of showing the tire. This is a pretty aggressive tread. It is somewhere in between BFG KO2 and Goodyear Duratrac. Only put about 1000 miles on them so far so it is hard to give a meaningful review, but I can find nothing to complain about so far.

Some pics of my tires and truck

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14394423#Post14394423
The truck I bought had brand new Cooper AT3's on it and they were terrible in the snow with the truck camper loaded up..I quickly to them to LS and had them sipped aggressively....They work great in the snow and ice now and seem to be lasting well for sipped tires...Great traction with or without the truck camper..
Cooper

They are a great all around truck tire at a reasonable price. Certainly not the quietest. And need regular rotation.

I'm curious about the AT4?
Toyo Open Country's have treated me very well.
I just bought a set of Toyo. I've always been a Michelin fan but they ain't what they once were.
Gruff, only been stuck once cuzzin'.

Down in the sand!

Jim, I have not had that issue. This last set might not have ever been rotated and I can cruise 70-80mph down the highway in the ol' Ford smoother than a Cadillac.

The drivers are wearing a little funky but zero vibration.
(and they are 3/4 wore out)

No tire in the world would've made a difference there. smile

Never had any vibration issue on mine either. They are not quiet, but other than that I've not seen anything better enough to buy over them.
Them damn things wear in a rectangle.

WTF you want them to wear in an ovoid shape so they go thumpity thump thump, thumpity thump thump down the road?
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

WTF you want them to wear in an ovoid shape so they go thumpity thump thump, thumpity thump thump down the road?

Well, at least they would be thumping in time occasionally.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Well, at least they would be thumping in time occasionally.

Frosty the Gottdammerunged Snowman
Originally Posted by chris_c
Cooper

Yes

They've been as tough as the volcanic rocks I take them over routinely.
Warning: Thread revival.

I followed this thread with interest 6 months ago but wasn't then in need of tires. Now I am.
I currently have 51K on a set of Toyo Open County AT2's. They are on a 2016 F250 6.7 4x4 and is my heavy RV towing machine. My two gripes with the Toyo's are increasing horrible wet traction and they beginning to lose chunks of tread here and there, some are showing cords and will be replaced forthwith.

Are you Cooper guys who have run your Cooper's awhile now still pleased with them?

Thanks
Toyo M55.
I should have included my particular tire size need. My apologies. I run 275 65 20 and is unavailable in a Toyo M55.

Thanks
Originally Posted by mjac

I followed this thread with interest 6 months ago but wasn't then in need of tires. Now I am.
I currently have 51K on a set of Toyo Open County AT2's. They are on a 2016 F250 6.7 4x4 and is my heavy RV towing machine. My two gripes with the Toyo's are increasing horrible wet traction and they beginning to lose chunks of tread here and there, some are showing cords and will be replaced forthwith.

Are you Cooper guys who have run your Cooper's awhile now still pleased with them?

Thanks

Thanks for the review. I'm looking closely at the Toyo AT II for a tow vehicle 285/60-R20E. I've run across several reviews that complained about the tires feeling skatey. My vehicle is a 4WD 2500. and I need a really good AT tire.
There's nothing like a good tire thread. Almost as good as the new truck threads.

I have 25K on my Toyo AT2 extremes. Have been a great tire. Might get another 15-20K out of them.

Average at clearing mud.

Thanks

51K sounds like a fantastic life for any AT. If I get 40K, I think I've won the lottery.
I had one set of coopers and wasnt happy at all.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Jap vs USA?

Toyo AT III is US made as is the Cooper.
Buy Michelin
I don't know squat about tires or the best current tire on the market and my tire guy could sell me whatever he cared to and he moved me to Coopers a few years back, I was running Toyos.

I have zero complaints...gotta trust him, I can't be an expert on everything..
Firestone on my truck. I'm happy
Only reason to run Coopers is if there is a shop close by with excellent service.

Otherwise.....pass em by.
I know not what was asked but the Hankook dyna pro atm's have been the best tire I've ever run. Last set had 80,000 + when I sold the pickup and still looked good. Swapped the tires on the new pickup as soon as I got it. The new at m's only have 58,000 on them but still look like new. I spend a lot of miles on rock. Where I live and what I do is hard on tires, eastern MT. I couldn't believe what these tires do. Used to run Goodyear rugged's until they dropped them. Quiet and good in snow and ice.
I use both. Cooper is considerably cheaper for me to order compared to Toyo.
Originally Posted by boatammo
I know not what was asked but the Hankook dyna pro atm's have been the best tire I've ever run. Last set had 80,000 + when I sold the pickup and still looked good. Swapped the tires on the new pickup as soon as I got it. The new at m's only have 58,000 on them but still look like new. I spend a lot of miles on rock. Where I live and what I do is hard on tires, eastern MT. I couldn't believe what these tires do. Used to run Goodyear rugged's until they dropped them. Quiet and good in snow and ice.

We use the Hankook Dyna Pro on our patrol vehicles. I can get four years of of them.

We've had great luck with the Michelin LTX A2 on my wife's Lexus LX470 so I just put a new set of those on my daughter's first vehicle (Subaru Outback). I've also run Bridgestone, Goodyear and BFGoodrich and love the BF Goodrich AT/2. Just curious why you've ruled those out in favor of Toyo and Cooper?
Originally Posted by Calvin
I use both. Cooper is considerably cheaper for me to order compared to Toyo.

Same here.
Generals are pretty cheap right now at least in the size I run on my powerwagon.

Might be worth a look.
Toyo hands down. They started running them on the crew cabs at the mine and hardly had a flat. The harder composition outlasted whatever they were using before by many times over.
No complaints with my Cooper AT3's. Great tires.
COOPER AT3 TIRES ARE OK UNTIL YOU GET TO ABOUT HALF TREAD. THEN THEY GET SO DAMNED LOUD YOU CANT HEAR NOTHING BUT THEM.

TOYO TIRES,RIDE BETTER,LAST LONGER AND DONT GET LOUD.
Can't say I've noticed any increase in noise with my Coopers.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Firestone on my truck. I'm happy

I have the OEM Firestone Transforce that everyone hates. They have been perfect for me. At 58,000 not one problem and they are in good condition yet. I'm not seeing any trends develop in this thread yet.
I've always ran Michelin's, never had an issue but would never get more than 50K miles out of them, at $300 a piece I tried the Cooper AT3's and liked them, $100 a piece cheaper. My wife once got 110K miles out of a set of Michelins on her Toyota Highlander. No experience with Toyo's.
Just bought a set of Toyo Open Country AT'3's for my Ram 1500. Quiet going down the road and have been good off road so far. My size is rated 65.000 miles, we will see.
Used to run the LTX's for years till they outpriced themselves for me.

I would encourage you to take a look at the Dextero DHT2. I am on my second set and got close to 50,000 on my last set. they are around 85 - 95 a tire and I believe they are only available at walmart but I have been very pleased. check out their reviews.
Coopers wear fast. IMO
Originally Posted by viking
Coopers wear fast. IMO
mine wore way faster than toyo
Originally Posted by lone wolf
Just bought a set of Toyo Open Country AT'3's for my Ram 1500. Quiet going down the road and have been good off road so far. My size is rated 65.000 miles, we will see.

I am using Toyo Open Country AT ll 10 plys on my Dodge 1500, they have 53,000 miles on the and look to be good for another 3,000 or so, I will replace them before winter sets in though. About 20,000 miles on them were used for towing a trailer and practically every mile on them has been on curvy central Idaho roads both asphalt and gravel.
caution - as much as I like them they are poor on ice and in slick conditions. I have had a couple of instances where I ended up in the ditch because there was a slight slope to the ice covered road and the tires would not get traction. One of the trade-offs in tires, you can have a good traction short wear tire or a poor traction long wear tirel.

drover
All tires are a compromise, an open aggressive tread give better traction in mud, and snow, but wears faster. Soft tread has good traction on ice, and snow, but again wears faster. Of course open aggressive treads are louder.

Harder tread rubber wears well, but does not have much suction cup action on ice.

Steel studs are great on ice, but you can skate on a fast stop on dry paving.

Dry road braking is a big factor as well.

Thanks

If you're towing heavy, Nitto Exo-Grappler. Despite both having 3 sidewall belts, the Nitto is stiffer (more supportive) than the Cooper. Pard had the Coopers on his '10 6.4L F-250 and I have the Exo's on my '11 F250. Drop something heavy on the ball and it doesn't matter what you do w/air pressure, the Exo handles the load better than the Coopers. They're also superb in snow/packed-snow/icy conditions. The last 2 winters I've run them as "winter tires", have ~30-35K on them. I'm leaving them on this summer to use them up and will put a new set of Exo's on in Oct/Nov. Summer for me is pavement and mostly towing a 4K# boat, almost 0 off-road.
The Bridgstone DUELER HT685 is on my radar now. The Tire Rack reviews fit my application and sound great.

https://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?&category=tire&additionalComments=y&commentStatus=P&tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+H%2FT+685&fromTireDetail=true&tirePageLocQty=
My Toyo's are made in California USA.

At least that is what is on the sidewalls.
I have some Toyo Open Countrys around. But my all time favorite LT tire is the load range E Toyo M-55. From 235-75-15 for the Toyota 4X4 and baby Blazer to 255-85-16 on the 3/4 ton 4X4. I typically get 60K from each set.

They need to be rotated every ten K as the front lugs will start cupping. But that is typical of traction tires in the steering position.
Originally Posted by viking
Coopers wear fast. IMO

Not in my experience.
Originally Posted by srwshooter
COOPER AT3 TIRES ARE OK UNTIL YOU GET TO ABOUT HALF TREAD. THEN THEY GET SO DAMNED LOUD YOU CANT HEAR NOTHING BUT THEM.

TOYO TIRES,RIDE BETTER,LAST LONGER AND DONT GET LOUD.

That's been my experience with the Coopers. They started howling two years ago at about half tread life. I thought the wheel bearings were going out. It's night and day difference when I put the studded winter grippers on or take them off. The studded tires are MUCH quieter. Thankfully this will be the last summer for the Cooper boys. They have almost 60,000 miles on them though.

Have no experience with the Toyos.
© 24hourcampfire