Home
Damn, ouch. Got my second shingles vaccine and since I was there, got a pneumonia vaccine in the other arm. Shots never bother me, but damn those hurt and I felt lousy all day. Got the shots yesterday. Sucks getting old
I got two pneumonia vaccines on Friday morning.
The wife asked if I could a shingles vaccine the same day.
The vaccine RN said that the shingles vaccine is a nasty one, and don't do it on the same day.

Now it is 4.5 days later and my arm is still sore.

The problem is I was sick for the first 36 hours.

I hate to imagine being twice as sick.
Yup, the shingles shot is a humdinger. Gotta get my second one soon.

On the other hand, shingles, REALLY sucks.
I skipped the gym today. It was a good excuse. Feverish and achy.
I got the shingles vaccine last year and the first shot made my lymph nodes swell in my neck on the side I got the shot on.I felt very uncomfortable for about four or five days.I got the second one a couple of months later and it didn't bother me at all.
I guess I need to get off my ass and get them!
I ran fever for about 24 hours after both shingles shots, arm hurt for a couple days. Never had a flu or pneumonia shot.
Ronnie
First shingles shot wasn't too bad. The second shot made me sore. I don't normally get a flu shot but I got the pneumonia vaccine.
I had a spat of shingles 2 years ago. The rash was nothing. Feeling like I got slammed in the back of the neck with a baseball bat every morning was something else. Got my yearly VA check up in a few weeks, will see about getting the shingles vaccine as I have been putting it off too long.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Damn, ouch. Got my second shingles vaccine and since I was there, got a pneumonia vaccine in the other arm. Shots never bother me, but damn those hurt and I felt lousy all day. Got the shots yesterday. Sucks getting old

It's probably just your body reacting to the micro chip in that vaccine you got.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

It's probably just your body reacting to the micro chip in that vaccine you got.

LOL!

I forgot to wear my tinfoil hat!
The pneumonia shot did’t bother me and neither did the first shingles shot but the second shingles shot hit pretty hard and made me feel $hitty for a day or so and my arm was sore/tender for about a week. The first shingles shot affected my wife kinda like the second one affected me but the second didn’t bother her so go figure.

My wife had shingles about ten years ago and her bout with it convinced me that I didn’t want anything to do with an outbreak.
Originally Posted by hanco
I guess I need to get off my ass and get them!

Do it tomorrow hanco!
Had my first shingles shot in November. Sore arm for over a week, but had a hard time sleeping the night after the shot. I was awake half the night shivering.
Is the shingles vaccine a one and your done deal or is it yearly?
The shingles is two,You get one,then around two months later you get the second one.
Shingles can pop up anywhere on your body.I know a guy who got it on his neck and inside his ear.It affected him in a bad way.It made him dizzy along with the pain and after five years he still has issues with his equilibrium.
Three of my friends have had shingles recently. Two of them required trips to the hospital. We're all over 70, so this is serious stuff.

I had the shingles shot several years ago (not the more recent two shot version), had the pneumonia shot a while back, and haven't had a flu shot in several years. I asked my G.P. about the flu shot, and was told they didn't have the version for "old people" in stock, go to your pharmacy for that one. Well, I don't have faith in one of the young slackers at my pharmacy giving me an injection, so that's a no-go.

Last year I got some kind of bug and ended up in the E.R. of my local hospital with dehydration after puking and pooping out most of what's inside me. The bottom line is the bug I caught wasn't the flu bug. My nurse told me that several of the hospital staff members had the same thing. My G.P. said this year there are several flu bugs going around and that the flu vaccine might not be the one you need.
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Shingles can pop up anywhere on your body.I know a guy who got it on his neck and inside his ear.It affected him in a bad way.It made him dizzy along with the pain and after five years he still has issues with his equilibrium.

have a friend that got shingles on his face and in his left eye, now he's 90% blind in that eye, all he can see is shadows
I have a couple of friends who had shingles. Bad and sad deal. Prompted me to get my shots a year ago. I had no reaction from either shot.
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
I have a couple of friends who had shingles. Bad and sad deal. Prompted me to get my shots a year ago. I had no reaction from either shot.

just because you get the shots don't mean you still cant get them, I got the shots and had a slight break out. I know one guy that got the shots and got a full blown break out
I got the shingles vaccine this year. I didn't have any side affects but the muscle where the injection was sure sore for a couple days.

Having had chicken pox as a kid (over Christmas break cry) and having had friends with shingles even reducing the chance of getting it makes it worth inoculation.

https://apic.org/Resource_/TinyMceF...ou_Bulletin_Chicken_Pox_and_Shingles.pdf
Definitely worth getting the shots. My late grandfather contracted shingles around his waist when he was in his late 80's. He had been in amazingly good health up until then - did calisthenics and rode his exercycle every day (kept track of his mileage and was proud to tell people that he was almost to California!). That condition robbed him of his vitality. He lived to age 92, but was had the same spark of life.
GET THE SHOTS!

If a shot bothers you think how shingles would be. Or whooping cough.... (BTDT)
I was feverish for 24 hours after each of the two shingles shots. I am told though, that I shouldnt have to do any further shingles vaccines.
So I am going to get my first physical- EVER - next Monday. 20 years or so overdue Want to ask about the Shingles vaccine so this was timely. Anything else I should know to ask about?
got the first shingles shot 5 years ago to find out it was only 40% effective, that's the same as the Lyme disease shot which I also got. just got the newer shingles shot last year, felt down in the dumps for like 2 days, for the first shot second one I felt fine
Which shingles vaccine did you get Shingrix or Zostavax (live vaccine)?
Originally Posted by kenjs1
So I am going to get my first physical- EVER - next Monday. 20 years or so overdue Want to ask about the Shingles vaccine so this was timely. Anything else I should know to ask about?

Tetanus vaccine. Prostate exam and hope your Dr has small hands. Lab work with a piss sample and blood sample.

You probably are over due for a colonoscopy too.

Get your ass to the doctor. Pun intended.
Originally Posted by victoro
Which shingles vaccine did you get Shingrix or Zostavax (live vaccine)?

Shingrix is the new one and most effective but you need two. I don't think Zostavax is recommended unless the Shingrix is in short supply, which it was when it hit the market.
I recently had two Surgeries and some other Medical problems and was told to wait until I gained strength to get the 2-Stage Shingles Shots . I had the old Shot years ago after a Relative got a bad case of Shingles . Had a German buddy who was never told about a Vaccine and came down with an extremely severe Case which caused him much Pain and Nerve damage which lasted for years . Made me wonder a bit about German Healthcare . I have seen a lot of different estimates on how effective the old Shot vs new Shots are . Seems like 40-50% for the old and 80-90% for the New . Both are supposed to lessen the severity if you do come down with Shingles . Sakoluvr is right about the Prostate exam . My last test was with a lady NP . Long and thin fingers .......best Exam ever !

Tetanus vaccine. Prostate exam and hope your Dr has small hands. Lab work with a piss sample and blood sample.

During my prostate exam, the doctor kept both of his hands on my shoulders. Is this normal procedure?
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
Three of my friends have had shingles recently. Two of them required trips to the hospital. We're all over 70, so this is serious stuff.

I had the shingles shot several years ago (not the more recent two shot version), had the pneumonia shot a while back, and haven't had a flu shot in several years. I asked my G.P. about the flu shot, and was told they didn't have the version for "old people" in stock, go to your pharmacy for that one. Well, I don't have faith in one of the young slackers at my pharmacy giving me an injection, so that's a no-go.

Last year I got some kind of bug and ended up in the E.R. of my local hospital with dehydration after puking and pooping out most of what's inside me. The bottom line is the bug I caught wasn't the flu bug. My nurse told me that several of the hospital staff members had the same thing. My G.P. said this year there are several flu bugs going around and that the flu vaccine might not be the one you need.

Get the new two shot version NOW. The old one is about 40% effective.

This is the Voice of Experience speaking.
Originally Posted by JeffyD

During my prostate exam, the doctor kept both of his hands on my shoulders. Is this normal procedure?

Only if the lights are off.
Got my second shingles and my first flu shot last month in both arms. It took about 6 hours and I was laid low for 12 hours.
Got the Shingrix first and second doses this fall. Both made me feel pretty puny. First one gave me a pretty good case of the chills. If I get shingles I'm gonna be pissed.
I had no problems with the new shingles, pneumonia, or tetanus shot in November.

You probably are over due for a colonoscopy too.

Get your ass to the doctor. Pun intended.

Thanks Sakoluvr- not any surprises there. Forgot about tetanus. Been a few years since I had that. I only been prodded once and that was seven years ago (time flies) Relatives and friends been after me for years and yes I am over due for colonoscopy.

Serious question, thinking my Doc is a woman- you guys ok with being checked out by one or did you ask for a male????
I had shingles two years ago and it's a MoFo. Took the 2 part shot a year ago and only experienced a little soreness each time just like any other shot. No problem and WAAAAAYY better than getting shingles. Hell, I have more pain than that shot just getting out of bed in the morning. If you're over 50 and had chicken pox as a kid, I'd say that you're a fool if you don't get the shots.
My Brother had the shingles shot and within 3 weeks had the worse case of shingles on his back and sides.He was miserable for about 3 months.My Dr. at the VA offered to give me the vaccine but will not take it himself as he says about 20% of people will get shingles from the vaccine and it is only about 35% effective against shingles.I had a mild case of shingles 2 years ago and will not take the shot.
Originally Posted by Huntz
By Brother had the shingles shot and within 3 weeks had the worse case of shingles on his back and sides.He was miserable for about 3 months.My Dr. at the VA offered to give me the vaccine but will not take it himself as he says about 20% of people will get shingles from the vaccine and it is only about 35% effective against shingles.I had a mild case of shingles 2 years ago and will not take the shot.

Shingrix is supposed to be about 97% effective (CDC). The old version was about 40%.

The CDC recommends two pneumococcal vaccines for adults 65 years or older.
Have had both pneumococcal vaccines and two doses of the Shingrix vaccine in the last three years.
Lost 2 weeks of my life with a severe case of the flu exactly three years ago, I look at getting the flu shot MUCH differently now.
These illnesses can be life threatening when one is in their 60’s.

My doctor doesn't do shingles shot. It has to be refrigerated and mixed just prior to use, which is more trouble than they're willing to take. I just happened to be in the grocery store, which also has a pharmacy, and saw a sign for it, and got in line.

It's expensive too. My invoice said $200, but my insurance paid all of it.
Originally Posted by Huntz
By Brother had the shingles shot and within 3 weeks had the worse case of shingles on his back and sides.He was miserable for about 3 months.My Dr. at the VA offered to give me the vaccine but will not take it himself as he says about 20% of people will get shingles from the vaccine and it is only about 35% effective against shingles.I had a mild case of shingles 2 years ago and will not take the shot.

The older vaccine, Zostavax (FDA approved 2006), was a live, attenuated virus.

The newer vaccine, Shingrix (FDA approved 2017), is inactivated. It can't cause shingles. It's also over 90% effective at preventing shingles, and recommended for anyone over 50.

There are about 1,000,000 cases of shingles in the US every year, and, according to the CDC, about 1/3 of the population will get shingles. Worse still, more than 1/3 of those will develop "serious complications" (post-herpetic neuralgia, vision loss, Ramsay-Hunt/neurologic problems, skin infections).

Also, shingles can recur.

I just received my second shot.

If I were you . . . .
© 24hourcampfire