Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
I have a couple of friends who had shingles. Bad and sad deal. Prompted me to get my shots a year ago. I had no reaction from either shot.

just because you get the shots don't mean you still cant get them, I got the shots and had a slight break out. I know one guy that got the shots and got a full blown break out

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got the shingles vaccine this year. I didn't have any side affects but the muscle where the injection was sure sore for a couple days.

Having had chicken pox as a kid (over Christmas break cry) and having had friends with shingles even reducing the chance of getting it makes it worth inoculation.

https://apic.org/Resource_/TinyMceF...ou_Bulletin_Chicken_Pox_and_Shingles.pdf

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Definitely worth getting the shots. My late grandfather contracted shingles around his waist when he was in his late 80's. He had been in amazingly good health up until then - did calisthenics and rode his exercycle every day (kept track of his mileage and was proud to tell people that he was almost to California!). That condition robbed him of his vitality. He lived to age 92, but was had the same spark of life.
GET THE SHOTS!

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Damn, ouch. Got my second shingles vaccine and since I was there, got a pneumonia vaccine in the other arm. Shots never bother me, but damn those hurt and I felt lousy all day. Got the shots yesterday. Sucks getting old

If a shot bothers you think how shingles would be. Or whooping cough.... (BTDT)

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I was feverish for 24 hours after each of the two shingles shots. I am told though, that I shouldnt have to do any further shingles vaccines.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So I am going to get my first physical- EVER - next Monday. 20 years or so overdue Want to ask about the Shingles vaccine so this was timely. Anything else I should know to ask about?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
got the first shingles shot 5 years ago to find out it was only 40% effective, that's the same as the Lyme disease shot which I also got. just got the newer shingles shot last year, felt down in the dumps for like 2 days, for the first shot second one I felt fine

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Which shingles vaccine did you get Shingrix or Zostavax (live vaccine)?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kenjs1
So I am going to get my first physical- EVER - next Monday. 20 years or so overdue Want to ask about the Shingles vaccine so this was timely. Anything else I should know to ask about?

Tetanus vaccine. Prostate exam and hope your Dr has small hands. Lab work with a piss sample and blood sample.

You probably are over due for a colonoscopy too.

Get your ass to the doctor. Pun intended.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by victoro
Which shingles vaccine did you get Shingrix or Zostavax (live vaccine)?

Shingrix is the new one and most effective but you need two. I don't think Zostavax is recommended unless the Shingrix is in short supply, which it was when it hit the market.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I recently had two Surgeries and some other Medical problems and was told to wait until I gained strength to get the 2-Stage Shingles Shots . I had the old Shot years ago after a Relative got a bad case of Shingles . Had a German buddy who was never told about a Vaccine and came down with an extremely severe Case which caused him much Pain and Nerve damage which lasted for years . Made me wonder a bit about German Healthcare . I have seen a lot of different estimates on how effective the old Shot vs new Shots are . Seems like 40-50% for the old and 80-90% for the New . Both are supposed to lessen the severity if you do come down with Shingles . Sakoluvr is right about the Prostate exam . My last test was with a lady NP . Long and thin fingers .......best Exam ever !

Last edited by usull; 01/15/20. Reason: ad
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

Tetanus vaccine. Prostate exam and hope your Dr has small hands. Lab work with a piss sample and blood sample.

During my prostate exam, the doctor kept both of his hands on my shoulders. Is this normal procedure?

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
Three of my friends have had shingles recently. Two of them required trips to the hospital. We're all over 70, so this is serious stuff.

I had the shingles shot several years ago (not the more recent two shot version), had the pneumonia shot a while back, and haven't had a flu shot in several years. I asked my G.P. about the flu shot, and was told they didn't have the version for "old people" in stock, go to your pharmacy for that one. Well, I don't have faith in one of the young slackers at my pharmacy giving me an injection, so that's a no-go.

Last year I got some kind of bug and ended up in the E.R. of my local hospital with dehydration after puking and pooping out most of what's inside me. The bottom line is the bug I caught wasn't the flu bug. My nurse told me that several of the hospital staff members had the same thing. My G.P. said this year there are several flu bugs going around and that the flu vaccine might not be the one you need.

Get the new two shot version NOW. The old one is about 40% effective.

This is the Voice of Experience speaking.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffyD

During my prostate exam, the doctor kept both of his hands on my shoulders. Is this normal procedure?

Only if the lights are off.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Got my second shingles and my first flu shot last month in both arms. It took about 6 hours and I was laid low for 12 hours.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got the Shingrix first and second doses this fall. Both made me feel pretty puny. First one gave me a pretty good case of the chills. If I get shingles I'm gonna be pissed.

Carpe' Scrotum
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had no problems with the new shingles, pneumonia, or tetanus shot in November.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 01/16/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kenjs1

You probably are over due for a colonoscopy too.

Get your ass to the doctor. Pun intended.

Thanks Sakoluvr- not any surprises there. Forgot about tetanus. Been a few years since I had that. I only been prodded once and that was seven years ago (time flies) Relatives and friends been after me for years and yes I am over due for colonoscopy.

Serious question, thinking my Doc is a woman- you guys ok with being checked out by one or did you ask for a male????

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had shingles two years ago and it's a MoFo. Took the 2 part shot a year ago and only experienced a little soreness each time just like any other shot. No problem and WAAAAAYY better than getting shingles. Hell, I have more pain than that shot just getting out of bed in the morning. If you're over 50 and had chicken pox as a kid, I'd say that you're a fool if you don't get the shots.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
My Brother had the shingles shot and within 3 weeks had the worse case of shingles on his back and sides.He was miserable for about 3 months.My Dr. at the VA offered to give me the vaccine but will not take it himself as he says about 20% of people will get shingles from the vaccine and it is only about 35% effective against shingles.I had a mild case of shingles 2 years ago and will not take the shot.

Last edited by Huntz; 01/17/20.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,289
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.