Home
I live near the little town of Weaverville NC. They have a pretty little town park, the center of which is Lake Louise. About a 4 acre lake, or, big pond.
I was down there 8 days ago taking the Beagle for a walk. I saw a "Wanted Poster." 8 x 10 piece of paper nailed to a tree. Had a picture of a blue heron, which had a 3 inch long fishing lure, stuck to his beak.
It said, if you see this poor bird, call these animal rescue guys.

So, in about 5 minutes I saw the bird. It was a 3 inch long artificial lure, bright orange and yellow, treble hooks on both ends. It was stuck in his beak on the right side.
I was reaching for my cell phone, but before I dialed the number, this lady came up. She said she was with the bird rescue group, and they were going to try to catch the bird.
In a little while, a guy showed up, he had a 2 foot diameter net, like a bass fisherman would use. He had duct taped a 15 foot extension handle onto this net.
I watched this guy and gal try to catch the bird. If you got within 20 feet of the bird, it just flew away 500 feet, across the pond. It looked to me like, they didn't know what they were doing.
I went home.

So I went back 3 days ago, I didn't see the bird, and the wanted posters had been taken down. I assumed they had caught the bird.

Today I was back at the park, and I saw the bird again. This time I got within 10 feet. The bird didn't look good he looked weak. I could see that the lure had worn a 1 inch long hole in the top right part of the bird's beak.
This time I could get a lot closer to the heron, I got within 10 feet of him, and he hopped up and flew away, but he just flew 15 feet.
I am not sure if this guy can eat or not, but he looks like he is dying.

I called the local tv station, WLOS and talked to a reporter, he didn't seem too interested. I called an animal rescue outfit, Wild For Life of Asheville, left a voice message, and left them an email message.

I ordered a 6 foot diameter cast net on Amazon tonight for 50 bucks.
I want to catch this bird. I have seen it done in the ER a dozen times, you just cut off the barbs with a wire cutter and the hooks will just fall out of the bird's mouth.
I could fix this bird up in 2 minutes.
How do you catch a blue heron?
I'd use #5 shot
Most likely with a snare either around the neck or up the legs (paracord). They are birds of habit often exploiting the same foraging site, so probably a sit and wait deal with the trap already arranged. Amazed that one can actually get that close, as they are pretty skittish. They typically roost in trees or on mid-stream rocks, so a night deal might be tough.

Do not look one in the eye without having a firm grasp on its head/neck.

A buddy once had a hold on an injured egret. It was looking through his eyes at the back of his head and nailed him. Fortunately, right between the eyes. Either way, and he would have lost one.

Good luck
I was talking with a vet lady some years back and the topic of dangerous critters came up. I asked her what the most dangerous critter was she had to work on. She thought for a couple seconds... blue heron she said. She said they can strike with their beak to 6 or 8 feet away at lightening speed. Yes she'd worked on a couple there were lots around there. Just be careful, goggles'd be a good plan.
22lr is quieter than #5 shot
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I'd use #5 shot

That's funny, but not funny.

Hell, I dunno.
1 3/4oz. Of #2 or #4 shot.

Edit:
Damn you gotta be quick around here......
Egrets, I've had a few
but then again
too few to mention
Bass lure.
Jump in a pond and act like a $2,000.00 koi.
Odds are easy to catch now with long net at night with a bright light in its face.
I believe the cast net is about your best bet. Once you trap him, put some tape around his beak to hold it closed and handle him with the beak. I had to remove one last year from a leg-hold beaver trap. Once I got my hands on his beak he calmed right down.
When you get your cast net, learn how to catch some bait. That bird is hungry. It will eat from your hand in a day or two.

Pics or it didn't happen...
"Once I got my hands around his NECK he calmed right down!" Now he is a good heron.
Around here they are spooky. Hard to get close enough with a rimfire to catch one. I would say a 223 is about perfect.
Cast net, cover its eyes with a towel and it will settle down a bit. Clip quick set it free. Be careful...they can hurt you badly.
I hear that they have a helluva good neck roast on em ........
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
When you get your cast net, learn how to catch some bait. That bird is hungry. It will eat from your hand in a day or two.

DO NOT TRY TO HANDFEED A BLUE HERON!!!!!
I live close by. Call me and I will come videotape it.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Cast net, cover its eyes with a towel and it will settle down a bit. Clip quick set it free. Be careful...they can hurt you badly.

^^^^^^

This is how the pros do it.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I believe the cast net is about your best bet. Once you trap him, put some tape around his beak to hold it closed and handle him with the beak. I had to remove one last year from a leg-hold beaver trap. Once I got my hands on his beak he calmed right down.

If they are anything like a sandhill crane, wear safety specs.
The sand hill cranes in my area are almost tame. They peck at the chrome bumper on my truck. I can get within 5' easily.
Do the fish a favor and let it die. Slower the better, hate those birds.

Not worth the risk messing with a protected bird species......
Shîtpoke

River chicken

Had one eat all (most) my buds Comets out of his koi pond. We staked him out from inside the living room. That fugger could see the curtains move an 1” from across the yard. Haha

We set up his back bedroom like a snipers nest. Took the screen off the window, curtains all slid back, Bud said he covered himself up with some blankets had 16 ga, #6 high brass. Got him.

SimonK hope you get him unhooked .

True story !

In the 1980's i worked on offshore drilling rig Gulf Oil @ South Pass 49 - Huthnance Drilling based in Houston .

I was down on the production deck lifting weights - coming up the stairs i spyed a big blue heron that was lost or just desided to spend the night 12.5 miles offshore south of Venice ,La. . 'Bird was blinded by the powerful light up on the pipe-rack - i went back down and got a couple of pillow cases to cover my hands/arms for the big catch . Put the sneek on it grabbed it right off the handrail at the top of the stairs [flapping/scratching/biting/squakingfor a bit] and preceded to the Roustabouts room . After scoping out the hallway coast was clear - plan was to ease the door open toss the bird into the small room with 4 Roustabouts who slept with their heads towards the door which made viewing the satelite tv easier .

Slowly opened door inward tossed the bird in pulled door closed on dark'ish room with tv on , grabbed stainless doorknob with my best two handed grip pressed my body against the wall and hung onto to the knob . Pure pandemonium - hollering loud noise cussing 2-3 grabs at the doorknob to no avail .
Then i let go of doorknob and disappeared up the back steps into the galley as calm as could be , here comes a crew of pissy roustabouts glaring at me . Deny - but don't over-deny - [must have over-denied] next morning my hardhat and uniroyal boots were missing - found them full of water fully frozen after thirty minutes of looking . Gloves too - they were frozen in the bottom of the boots --- good times at ridgemont high . Fun loving early 20's lads entertainment . .

Yeah .
Mono trotline with shiners in 8 inches of water.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Awe come on, anything goes around here if pics are involved. grin

Seriously though, the OP needs to practice on some bait. He'll most likely only get one shot at the bird with the net and some bait will get that bird a lot closer.
They are one of the most leary and sharp birds , i've seen them fly off when i was 150 yards from a lake .
Try one of these. I hear they work great.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I would use 2s they are not worth a good bullet!!
Hand feed him a muskrat. 😁

The big ones are very tough anyway.
Originally Posted by ol_mike

True story !

In the 1980's i worked on offshore drilling rig Gulf Oil @ South Pass 49 - Huthnance Drilling based in Houston .

I was down on the production deck lifting weights - coming up the stairs i spyed a big blue heron that was lost or just desided to spend the night 12.5 miles offshore south of Venice ,La. . 'Bird was blinded by the powerful light up on the pipe-rack - i went back down and got a coupon of pillow cases to cover my hands/arms for the big catch . Put the sneek on it grabbed it right off the handrail at the top of the stairs [flapping/scratching/biting/squakingfor a bit] and preceded to the Roustabouts room . After scoping out the hallway coast was clear - plan was to ease the door open toss the bird into the small room with 4 Roustabouts who slept with their heads towards the door which made viewing the satelite tv easier .

Slowly opened door inward tossed the bird in pulled door closed on dark'ish room with tv on , grabbed stainless doorknob with my best two handed grip pressed my body against the wall and hung onto to the knob . Pure pandemonium - hollering loud noise cussing 2-3 grabs at the doorknob to no avail .
Then i let go of doorknob and disappeared up the back steps into the galley as calm as could be , here comes a crew of pissy roustabouts glaring at me . Deny - but don't over-deny - [must have over-denied] next morning my hardhat and uniroyal boots were missing - found them full of water fully frozen after thirty minutes of looking . Gloves too - they were frozen in the bottom of the boots --- good times at ridgemont high . Fun loving early 20's lads entertainment . .

Yeah .

Quality entertainment right there.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Ribeye of the sky???

sick
That's sandhills. wink
Dumb ass schitt pokes.....

.22 thru the noggin.....

They taste like osprey, too. Not good.
Originally Posted by Squidge
Hand feed him a muskrat. 😁

About 15 years ago when I was moose hunting in Northern Ontario I had one feeding across a small river mouth from me, maybe 30 yards away. I watched him catch and scarf down a 20” pike. He sat on his haunches for about 20 min, then got up and sprayed a massive chitt behind him. About 5 minutes later, he grabbed a 24” pike and scarfed it down.

That same day had a lesser weasel run across my boot, too. Nice country.

They taste like osprey, too. Not good.

Thought it was more like eagle?

Iggle tastes like chicken hawk (good, like chicken) unless you get them in sheep country.

Then they taste like ewe.
Heck, I'd use a grinding mask/goggles for a heron. They WHIP that beak.

If you net it, don't dink around. Pin it quick, snip and gone.

Actually, I'm not sure what I'd do. We've got a local heron, and I can tell when he's been around, lots fewer fish visible in the creek. If it was hurt, I'd probably put it out of its misery only.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Awe come on, anything goes around here if pics are involved. grin

Seriously though, the OP needs to practice on some bait. He'll most likely only get one shot at the bird with the net and some bait will get that bird a lot closer.

Just don't try to hand feed them. You'll come back with a hole through your hand.
We catch them the same as pelicans to get hooks out. Three foot section of heavy mono leader (50lb +, do not use braid, NO HOOK), tied to reasonable lb test main line on fishing rod that you can cast a ways. Catch a bluegill or two (bream, perch, similar sized baitfish). Tie the leader securely through the baitfish’s eye sockets. Cast close to heron and let it swallow the baitfish, get tension on line and have someone run up to the heron and grab it (heavy gloves and a hand towel help) controlling the beak and wings (you need to be quick here as the heron will spit the bait out quickly if given time). Remove lure (usually have to cut the hook point and barb off and back the hook out). Pull the leader and baitfish gently out of the herons gullet if it hasnt spit it back out already. Wave bye to the heron or remove leader and feed him the baitfish, then wave bye.

Pelicans are easier as you can get much much closer to them, and they are always suckers for a free meal. The issue with pelicans is their beaks are at about the same level as your jewels, and they won’t hesitate to take a nip if given the opportunity. They are much easier than herons to hand catch, mostly because their “handle” is longer and not as sharp. Might take a couple of tries, but it is completely doable with herons.

Please make sure you have someone video this, and post it here...

Good luck!
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner

Actually, I'm not sure what I'd do. We've got a local heron, and I can tell when he's been around, lots fewer fish visible in the creek. If it was hurt, I'd probably put it out of its misery only.

If its not hurt , you can always hurt it with a bullet, and then you'll have a reason to put it out of its misery ! smile
Originally Posted by ol_mike

True story !

I was down on the production deck lifting weights - coming up the stairs i spyed a big blue heron that was lost or just desided to spend the night 12.5 miles offshore south of Venice ,La. . 'Bird was blinded by the powerful light up on the pipe-rack - i went back down and got a coupon of pillow cases to cover my hands/arms for the big catch . Put the sneek on it grabbed it right off the handrail at the top of the stairs [flapping/scratching/biting/squakingfor a bit] and preceded to the Roustabouts room . After scoping out the hallway coast was clear - plan was to ease the door open toss the bird into the small room with 4 Roustabouts who slept with their heads towards the door which made viewing the satelite tv easier .

Yeah .

That sounds like a fun rig and crew to work with...LMFAO 😂🤣😎
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
We catch them the same as pelicans to get hooks out. Three foot section of heavy mono leader (50lb +, do not use braid, NO HOOK), tied to reasonable lb test main line on fishing rod that you can cast a ways. Catch a bluegill or two (bream, perch, similar sized baitfish). Tie the leader securely through the baitfish’s eye sockets. Cast close to heron and let it swallow the baitfish, get tension on line and have someone run up to the heron and grab it (heavy gloves and a hand towel help) controlling the beak and wings (you need to be quick here as the heron will spit the bait out quickly if given time). Remove lure (usually have to cut the hook point and barb off and back the hook out). Pull the leader and baitfish gently out of the herons gullet if it hasnt spit it back out already. Wave bye to the heron or remove leader and feed him the baitfish, then wave bye.

Pelicans are easier as you can get much much closer to them, and they are always suckers for a free meal. The issue with pelicans is their beaks are at about the same level as your jewels, and they won’t hesitate to take a nip if given the opportunity. They are much easier than herons to hand catch, mostly because their “handle” is longer and not as sharp. Might take a couple of tries, but it is completely doable with herons.

Good luck!

Great post 😎
I’m just gonna add to the chorus about protecting your eyes. Forty years ago a guy in East Texas tried to pick up an injured great egret in a roadside ditch. It struck with an open beak and hit both his eyes.

A good thing you are trying to do.
Yes, I would not count for a second on "safety glasses", I handled quite a few pelicans that were stuck on exposed trotlines years ago. A GBH would be even more dangerous and I believe could easily pierce through the plastic safety goggles.

I attended a workshop where a rehab. expert was trying to teach us how to handle a great horned owl safely. She failed the test and nearly lost an eye in front of 75 students. Be careful who you attempt to learn from!

sounds like a bullet would be the best solution here
I've seen them after they were dead, and they're nothing but feathers.
The first thought that crossed my mind, since I could get up within 20 feet of the bird, was that a load of #8s from the 20 gauge would fix this bird up.
However, as you can see, Lake Louise is hardly in the wilderness, there are houses and apartments all around the lake.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There is always a big crowd in the park, walking dogs and playing on the swings, with Mom watching. Even on a rainy 50 degree day, there are a dozen people in this park. The park is closed after dark.
There is no way you could shoot this bird without someone hearing and seeing it. And every one of these park goers has an Iphone. I have no doubt it is illegal to discharge a firearm in Weaverville, after all, it is just 6 miles from Asheville.

Also, I think these big birds are protected by Federal law.

I was telling my girlfriend yesterday, while I was ordering the $50 cast net from Amazon, that back 50 years ago, when I was a kid, someone living near the park would have just shot it with a shotgun, and nobody would have cared. Times have changed.

Well, boys y'all have really opened my eyes, to coin a phrase, about the dangers of this big bird. So I am trying to be a nice guy, and this bird would peck my eye out.
It is a 30 minute drive to the park, I will go back down there today and see what is what. Will try to get a pic.
A .177 pellet gun will take one down
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig

Good luck!

The heron that the OP is talking about is obviously not able to eat and is slowly deteriorating, so this approach won't work in this case.
Academy didnt have cast nets?
.22 Short, after dark.
If you catch it, can I have my lure back?

G23
I use to have a huge full adult Great Blue Heron that would hang out in my house.

It all started one evening when I'd left my sliding glass doors open, I was wintering in a water front home on Treasure Island Beach in FL.

It was only 20 feet to my dock from the doors, this heron was a regular, he hung out on docks around me feeding off fish cleaning stations and leftover baits people would have on their docks.

If you came in my sliding doors you were in my family room, there was a dividing wall with a 7 foot opening in it that entered into the living room. I'd be kicked back in the living room watching TV from my recliner on any given night.

I'm just sitting there one evening and caught movement in my peripheral vision, spun my head and looked and this sucker was in the middle of my family room and he was huge, he had to be 5 ft to the top of his head.

I jumped up and headed to the frig, I had some fish we were using for bait in a ziploc bag chillin in the frig, I dumped it on a plate and sat it in that opening between the living and family room. He'd backed off a little with my movements but he was still inside the door.
He jumped right on the fish, gobbled it all down, hung out for a couple minutes then left.

This got to be a regular occurrence, he'd come by most evenings looking to get a free meal.
I was keeping frozen bait around just for him and I'd gotten to where I'd leave the plate of goodies in the middle of the living room.

He'd walk right by my recliner, eat, look around a little bit, maybe watch some TV with me then split.

When he did, you'd better believe I turned my head and shielded my eyes, that beak on his face was big, long and very pointed.

All went well, just another freeloader, their in abundance everywhere ya go.

One evening when I nuked his dinner to thaw it out I noticed the plate seemed a little warmer that usual, there was a little steam rollin off the fish. He had yet to arrive so I just sat it there in the middle of the living room and started watching TV.

It wasn't long and there he was, right in the door lookin' for his dinner. I turned my head a little as usual as he passed by.

Well apparently from his reaction to my offering, that fish hadn't sat long enough to cool down before he had just swallowed it whole.

He spreaded those wings, screamed and proceeded to bust up every thing he could on his way out the back door.
The collections of glass and porcelain niknaks sitting on shelves and tables in the living room were wasted, even a high dollar porcelain of his own image laid shattered in pieces in the floor.

I'd just rolled outta the far side of my recliner, laid face down on the floor with my arms protecting my head.

He musta had a 6 or 7 ft wing span and he just flailed them all around the living and family room as he headed for the door.

Typical freeloading entitlist, just a screw you and out the door, I guess he expected me to blow on his damn food to cool it for him...he never returned.....good riddance..
That thing can poke a hole through your throat and you’ll end up in the ER or morgue. A load of #2s or BBs would be my choice but since you live in town let the authorities take care of it. Ain’t no shortage of those fish-eating bastids around here. They decimate the froggie population on my pond and eat my trout, too. Not to mention schitting up my dock. Happy Trails
Call the game warden. They need something to do.
Originally Posted by RMerta

They are doing something, they are watching him starve to death while they run around in circles prolonging his death.
Want to do something for him? Be a little humane, put him outta his misery, it's gone too long, you can't save the world..

If he was in his nature environment a predator would have already taken care of this, but I'm sure in that developed area there are no predators left.

The added stress he is going to suffer being caught the handled in his current state will probably push him past the possibility of recovery even if he is caught and the hook gets removed.
Shoot the hook off.
In my experience, if you leave some rods lying on a dock or in a boat, it will entangle itself in them within a few minutes.
Originally Posted by White_Bear
Shoot the hook off.

Base of the neck shot works best... wink
Full face motorcycle helmet might be a good idea.
I hear Retch Sweeney on his way over now....
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I'd use #5 shot

That's not fair...
22CB!
I suspect they are tough birds, but Cookie and I watched one buy the farm during one of our fall steelhead trips. Landed right at the river's edge above our camp where a mink leaped out of the vegetation grabbing the bird by the throat. The struggle lasted about 30 seconds. When I got to the site, I could see the bird's feet disappearing as the mink was attempting to drag it beneath a cut bank. Looked to be a young of the year bird
This park is a 30 minute drive from my house. I drove down there today.
Near my house, I cut a 17 foot long bamboo pole. There is a WalMart near the lake where the bird is.
If I saw the bird, and could get near it, I was going to go back to WalMart and buy the regular fisherman's net, a net about 2 foot diameter.
It is on a handle that is 5 feet long. Costs 25 bucks. So, I could duct tape the bamboo to the net handle, and have a handle about 20 feet long.

I walked all around the pond, took about an hour, the bird was not there.
On the way back home, I got a call from a wildlife rescue group, Wild For Life, I had left them a message yesterday.
The gal said that they had been trying to catch the bird but were unable to.
She said the bird has been flying back and forth to Beaver Lake, about 4 miles away.
She said, if I caught the bird to be careful he would peck my eye out.
She said, if I catch the bird, to call them, they would help me remove the hooks, or else, help me take the bird to a veterinarian.
Every good story includes or involves a Walmart
Originally Posted by slumlord

I just got back from Walmart. There wasn't a chittlerling or chicken neck to be found, because the local Blacks were shopping for their MLK day feast on Monday.

I can't march with them this year because I have a doctor appointment. But, I'll be with them in spirit.
"Cannon nets
Cannon nets are similar to rocket net except a cannon-net projectile is a heavy metal barrel which is fired from a launch-rod attached to a metal plate. Cannon propellant is smokeless gunpowder ignited by an electric match.

The primary advantage of cannon nets is the lack of explosives, therefore storage and transportation is easier. However, cannon-net projectiles have to be cleaned after every use. A full-sized cannon-net may utilise four or more cannons to pull the net over the target birds. Smaller nets with fewer cannons may also be used."

Or one of these:

https://youtu.be/gDcwas2pPFk
Originally Posted by slumlord

Ok! Go to Wal-Mart and get skinny rubber minnows. Attach them to a #1 leghold with light fishing line , acquired at -------t. Place in area known to be frequented by the pray. Anchor trap and return tomorrow. Same with geese but use corn for bait! I thought every hillbilly knew that!
Get caught with a Blue Heron in Texas & it’s an offense under the game laws.
I almost caught one with my truck yesterday. It was standing on a low water bridge and almost didn't fly quick enough. Rare here to get that close to one. People here don't like them much. Blue Herons carry worms that get in our fish. Mostly in bass and crappie.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I almost caught one with my truck yesterday. It was standing on a low water bridge and almost didn't fly quick enough. Rare here to get that close to one. People here don't like them much. Blue Herons carry worms that get in our fish. Mostly in bass and crappie.

If you’ve ever used a spoon of spinner you are mimicking a bait fish with a tapeworm cyst on its brain, these afflicted twirling fish becoming easy prey for both predatory fish and birds.

A predator/prey dynamic altered by a parasite, in the same way that wolves carry a tapeworm that causes the gruesome hyatid cyst disease in their prey.
I went down Friday afternoon, saw the bird and got within 10 feet of him. He was looking pretty bad.
I went home and ordered a cast net from Amazon for fifty bucks.
Saturday at noon, I loaded up my truck and I was headed down the driveway, for the 30 minute drive to the park in Weaverville.
Just then, my phone rang. The gal from the rescue group said she had just caught the bird an hour earlier.
Damn I am glad she called me, I would have been on a 3-hour excursion, to find a bird that was not there.

And here he is. These photos are from the time of the rescue.

The bird had hopped out of the pond, and crossed the very busy Merrimon Avenue, it was a miracle he wasn't run over.
There was a steep hill leading away from the road and the bird was too weak to climb the hill. The gal just threw a blanket over him.

And here I am with a brand new 8 foot cast net. I have never used one of these. This thing would be tricky to use for catching a bird, there are 2 ounce lead weights all around the perimeter. Very good chance you would hit the bird in the head with a weight, and kill him.
Interested to hear if he makes a full recovery or not. Keep us posted.
As stated, bird was caught by the rescue folks. Hooks were removed. It was a juvenile bird. It did not survive.

Information from Facebook below. Some folks are upset. They can have the GBH near my house if they want it.
💙 R.I.P. Great Blue Heron

Cause of death: fishing tackle. The lure, in his mouth, kept him from eating for 2 weeks. Other, assorted hooks, were removed, as well. Malnutrition & infection resulted...

Nancy Vergara, from Appalachian Wildlife Refuge, informed me of his passing. What to say... May his death not be in vain. May we learn from this sad event!

After speaking with several Lakers (park regulars), the Public Works Director, a Weaverville police officer, AWR, & other rehabber folks... I have a few ideas. I presented them at the Weaverville Town Council meeting, tonight.

Suggestions for prevention of fishing-related waterfowl (and other wildlife) death:

1. New signage at Lake Louise, with info about proper fishing practices, & contact info for AWR, WVL Police Department, in case of injured animal sightings.
2. Education at time of purchase of Weaverville fishing permits.
3. Periodic, random checks, of fishing permits.
4. Presentations by AWR, or other wildlife groups, about this issue. The Weaverville Public Library, or Town Hall could be possible locations. (Scouts could be invited!)
5. Organized clean-ups of discarded fishing tackle, by adult volunteers. Groups or clubs, such as the LLPA Lake Louise Preservation Association, Women Of Weaverville (WOW), Weaverville Is Neighbors, or the Sierra Club, might be interested in hosting such an endeavor.

There has always been a Great Blue Heron, at Lake Louise, while I've lived here... (Not always the same one, though! Nancy told me this one was a juvenile.) May another one, come to take this one's place. May we be better friends to wildlife, in this new year, & the years that follow.

- Laura Ayres
LLPA Volunteer

Photos: left, Linda Creasman Alexander Monteith; right, Laura Ayres
Sorry for my dark humor.

It would have been hilarious to spend $50 and a week
worrying about that bird,
Only to kill it with your net.

Good on you for being concerned, I hate to see something suffer.
American Indians would swim underwater and catch ducks, etc by their feet. Give that a try.
or dress up like a Blue Heron female to get closer.

oops. I just saw it had been caught.
Thanks for the update DaddyRat.
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by RMerta

They are doing something, they are watching him starve to death while they run around in circles prolonging his death.
Want to do something for him? Be a little humane, put him outta his misery, it's gone too long, you can't save the world..

If he was in his nature environment a predator would have already taken care of this, but I'm sure in that developed area there are no predators left.

The added stress he is going to suffer being caught the handled in his current state will probably push him past the possibility of recovery even if he is caught and the hook gets removed.
I'll take the net...
Functional use of a cast net takes a little bit of edumication, but it's not that difficult to become a gifted artist. There likely aren't more that a few thousand wankers along the Carolina coasts that could pass on the how to on that. Just in case, for next time. You know there will be a next time....

BTW, your net is one of the easy ones to master. Locals out in the Pacific islands toss nets that are 20-24' diameter and that is high art. Coil the line, pick the net up by the slip ring and then fold it over, not quite in half. Coil and fold in the same hand. One lead in your teeth (gently), or over your shoulder (same side), arm lengths of weight line in the other hand, do the twist gracefully and remember to a) open your mouth and b) impart a spin on the skirt with your other hand.
Watched a local guy throw a 12ft (24 diameter) onto a passing school of roe mullet. Came up with 27 fish that looked to be a pound each. He had part of it thrown over his shoulder, and part folded up in his hand. Threw it over a rail, too.
I had a 12' cast net when we lived in Yuma. Got pretty good at throwing it. Havent done it in a while.
For anyone wanting to educate themselves on how to catch birds of prey:

100 yards of mono fishing line. While watching TV, or doing anything mundane, tie slip knots roughly every 2" along the line. Eventually you'll have a large pile of monofilament. Carry the loosely held pile of mono to your quarry and bait it appropriately. The slip knots will tighten and snare the birds talons as he shuffles his feet. Make sure your trap is securely staked in place.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Functional use of a cast net takes a little bit of edumication, but it's not that difficult to become a gifted artist. There likely aren't more that a few thousand wankers along the Carolina coasts that could pass on the how to on that. Just in case, for next time. You know there will be a next time....

BTW, your net is one of the easy ones to master. Locals out in the Pacific islands toss nets that are 20-24' diameter and that is high art. Coil the line, pick the net up by the slip ring and then fold it over, not quite in half. Coil and fold in the same hand. One lead in your teeth (gently), or over your shoulder (same side), arm lengths of weight line in the other hand, do the twist gracefully and remember to a) open your mouth and b) impart a spin on the skirt with your other hand.

Took a bunch of photos of a guy on Molokai last year working small mullet. I have watched good guys quite a bit and tried to throw a small net a bit. I suck at it.

Anyway, this little guy was throwing beautiful fully-rounded rings much farther than anyone I have ever seen. It was amazing to watch.
Originally Posted by Plumdog
I'll take the net...

Send me your name and address, and I will mail the net to you.
© 24hourcampfire