Home
Anyone loose one or the other and how? I almost lost my birdy finger tip (halfway down before the joint) 15 years ago. Smashed in a freight elevator. Was hanging on by a shred of skin but DRs saved it and it was reattached. To this day nail is always giving me problems and is very sensitive. Absolutely nothing to bitch about compared to real and serious injuries especially those who serve our country. Not going to lie it hurt like a bitch and I would have been okay with having a stubby bird for the rest of my life but of course I trusted the Doc and his decision. Saw a guy get his entire hand pulverized once when it ran through a couple of big rollers . Like a cartoon almost. Poor guy. Had a teacher in college who had lost a pinky in his youth working at a factory, guy would make us all look up every once and a while during serious and quiet studies just to show us little hand puppet shows on his desk. Always cracked the f up.
I know a bunch of folks missing some parts. So far, I am still intact.
Dad cut off a finger but they sewed it back on.

Complete range of movement. Soft, sensitive fingernail too.

Lots of old cow hands around here missing fingers from ropes.

Those are hard to re attach sometimes because of distance to the doctor and the fact that they are kind of burned off.

Know a guy with a big toe for a thumb.
Knew a guy who skill-sawed off his big toe.
Posted By: mart Re: Losing a finger or a toe...? - 02/22/20
Missing my left middle finger tip to the first joint from a table saw and my left thumb tip to the transom bracket a 35 hp swings into, to lock in the run position. Lost of a lot of hand strength to those two missing parts.
I watched a maintenance guy move a guard out of the way on a metal shear to cut a small piece.

He was careful to keep his fingers away from the blade, but he totally forgot about the hydraulic rams that slam down to keep parts from moving while the blade is cutting.

He took off the first joint of his right index finger. It was too mangled to be reattached.
Posted By: hanco Re: Losing a finger or a toe...? - 02/22/20
I still have all of mine!
[quote=Snyper]I watched a maintenance guy move a guard out of the way on a metal shear to cut a small piece.

He was careful to keep his fingers away from the blade, but he totally forgot about the hydraulic rams that slam down to keep parts from moving while the blade is cutting.

He took off the first joint of his right index finger. It was too mangled to be reattached.[/quotegotta keep telling yourself every time, triple check and prepare beforehand..almost took my you know what off a few months ago with an angle grinder. Thank goodness for carhartts. Got so tangled in the duck that's the only thing that stopped it from serious injuries maybe even fatal. Got a couple of really cool scars on my leg and a special place. I tell the wife I'm so bad ass I even have scars on my you know what. Viking D...She doesn't think it is funny at all and now I never EVER use a grinder without a guard on it. Being in a hurry is what does it every time from what I've seen.
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
[quote=Snyper]I watched a maintenance guy move a guard out of the way on a metal shear to cut a small piece.

He took off the first joint of his right index finger. It was too mangled to be reattached.[/quotegotta keep telling yourself every time, triple check and prepare beforehand..almost took my you know what off a few months ago with an angle grinder. Thank goodness for carhartts. Got so tangled in the duck that's the only thing that stopped it from serious injuries maybe even fatal. Got a couple of really cool scars on my leg and a special place. I tell the wife I'm so bad ass I even have scars on my you know what. Viking D...She doesn't think it is funny at all and now I never EVER use a grinder without a guard on it. Being in a hurry is what does it every time from what I've seen.

I was doing some finishing on a custom CNC stand i made with an angle grinder once and the flap disc got caught in my shirt. Handle hit me in the jaw and disc ground off some flesh on my chest. That sucked a little...
i had an uncle who ran a shaper in a lumber mill back in the 30's or so. the only thing on his left hand was a thumb and the only thing on his right hand was a thumb and booger finger. he looked gnarly as fugg. used to scare the schit out of me when i was a little kid. my impression is he was not too bright.
When I was in middle school, retards were included in regular classes. even exploratory classes.

‘Joan’ was a little heavy handed doing her plexiglass keychain project on the belt sander.

3 phase belt sander that thing eat the last 1/2” meat off’a 3 of her fingers. She sounded like a baby goat caught in a fence.
Couple of molars and wisdom teeth ( on me)
Foreskin (not much choice at a couple days old)
Originally Posted by renegade50

Bet you couldn’t walk for about a year after losing that foreskin!
I took my left thumb off with a DeWalt skill saw.

Nothing I'd recommend, but not the end of the world. I have a tough time shuffling cards, that's about it.
Several ropers I've known without fingers...

that gonna leave a mark!!!!
For many years I've hunted with a couple of custom cabinet makers. They had their own shop, busy all the time. Great guys and hard core deer hunters.

Between the two of them, Guy and his brother in law, Bob (RIP), they only had about 8 fingers. But they sure had trigger fingers that worked.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

He handled that like a boss, my hat off to em. When that elevator door slammed in a second flat on my finger just felt ouch. Automatic reaction:clenched fist and into a crunched stomach. Guy that was with me said let's see it. We looked at it for a second and he said I'm gonna take you to the hospital. Cool? Fn a hell yeah I said cool.
Half my thumb on the right hand to a table saw. Index finger on the left hand at the first joint to a winch cable. Don't recommend either. But table saw might of hurt a little less.
Given a choice, neither!

laugh
Posted By: OAM Re: Losing a finger or a toe...? - 02/22/20
I had my thumb on my left hand taken off at the joint. I had it on the flywheel of a mercury outboard when I was 16. My brother started it and pulled it off. The first surgery was to reattach it. The next two where tendant and ligament reconstructions. 25 years later and I still cant bend it beyond where it attaches to my hand. To this day I hate anything mercury, and my little brother a bit.
Lost front half of right foot and 3" of shin bone to a toe popper serving Uncle Sam in 'Nam.
When someone asks where it went I say, "up my kids azz" so he doesn't make the same mistakes I have.
Takes just a little inattention for a sawmill to bite you; hard! I've seen it. GD
Never put your fingers where you wouldn't put your dick.
No digits lost...I did have my nut sack set back a couple inches to get a longer stroke ! heehehehehe
Originally Posted by rockdoc

Bet you couldn’t walk for about a year after losing that foreskin!

Renegade claims that they had a wake for the foreskin and wound up making a lampshade out of it.

True story.
I've got all of mine, but I've known several 'chain hands' that lost fingers.
Originally Posted by Oldman3

That be fact.
Knock on wood I've never been hurt but my dad almost lost his right arm in a swather header.

Closest hay field to town or the doctors said he would have bled out.

I wasn't there.
Lost my left ring finger many years ago, it was a brutal divorce.

The good news is that I can flip a bird with less effort than most. And I can do other tricks that are useful from time to time, but I won't bother y'all with the fine points.
Posted By: OAM Re: Losing a finger or a toe...? - 02/23/20
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I felt like I was going to lose toes this morning. I ran my buddies trapline for him because he is out of town. Stuck over and over! Not so much as a damn ermine in his sets. Got stuck in some overflow and it seaped into my right boot. I was sure a toe was coming off! Been home for a couple hours now. Im good.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by Oldman3

That be fact.

I grew up in the oil patch, my dad used to have the guys show me the "Driller's Handshake" hoping to make me pay attention...or to seek another careergrin

mike r
Renegade knows one of my uncle in laws, he worked at Frosty Morn, on the bacon squaring line. He went zippity doo dah on the back the knuckles on his left hand. Couple of fingers or nubbed off two joints back.

I can’t help but stare at his hand when he’s down at the barn and we’re working on something.

And my brother in law, he got his hand caught up in a chain-n-sprocket on a ‘homemade go cart’ made from a Snapper riding mower. It’s all jacked up.

Lol I got some fugged up inlaws.

Damn! my finger hurts just watchin' that.
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Damn! my finger hurts just watchin' that.

I came damn close to losing a finger or two with a bad dally. eek

Had to rope a damned calf this evening to remove a coyote snare from it's foreleg. Don't know how it got up close to the shoulder before tightening, but it did. crazy

Didn't rope it off a horse though. That calf really had to work to get in that snare, as I had pulled them all down awhile back. Good thing I caught it in time. That leg was swelled already.
I worked with a guy who had his thumb ripped off by a lathe.

He was an azzhole, anyway.

I didn't care.
Worked as butcher for about 18 months and have done tons of chain sawing. Still have everything. One of my butcher bosses band sawed his index finger twice. It was not reattached the second time around.
I called my wife when I accidently cut off a finger at work.
She asked me if I cut off my whole finger?

I said, "No, it was the one next to it."
Originally Posted by P_Weed

I read it three times and then LMAO! 😂 🤣 😂 🤣 😂 🤣
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by P_Weed

I read it three times and then LMAO! 😂 🤣 😂 🤣 😂 🤣

I had to figure it out as well......Me laugh ass off too..........
Old colored fellow in town used to drive a concrete truck. Someone slammed one the ext chutes on his hand. Got everything but the thumb. Drove truck til he retired.

He could float a slab like no body’s business for cash money.

Luckily when i came into the oilfield spinning chains were done with. Air / hydraulic tongs were used by then.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Trigger finger! Shot first joint out with a 22! Doctors fused bone back together.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Old colored fellow in town used to drive a concrete truck. Someone slammed one the ext chutes on his hand. Got everything but the thumb. Drove truck til he retired.

He could float a slab like no body’s business for cash money.

Luckily when i came into the oilfield spinning chains were done with. Air / hydraulic tongs were used by then.

Did you have air slips or were they still using hand slips?
When i was 7 or 8 i got my hand slammed in the door to the house.

I lost the end of my ring finger on the right hand.

They put it in a rag soaked in kerosene and the Doc's taped it back on after cleaning it up.

The nail grows weird and they told me 10 or so years ago that my body was trying to reject the meat under the nail.

Over the years i have had to put up with it cracking and bleeding bad.
Both. GOM.

Drilling was mostly hand slips. Though when i left drilling side they were starting to use jumping jacks.

Completion was usually air slips. ESP dual string.
Took care of a guy in my medic days who fell off the top of a tanker truck. Caught his wedding band in a rivet trying to stop himself. In addition to his head injury and broken leg, his ring finger and about 6" of connective tissue was still up on the tanker. Took it to the hospital with us, but no good on re-attachment.
Posted By: DMc Re: Losing a finger or a toe...? - 02/23/20
Saw my neighbor frantically trying to get into the front door of his house. I ran over to discover he'd cut off all four fingers on his left hand working on a table saw in his garage. Loaded him into my car wrapped in towels and rushed to the hospital. Luckily my wife found and gathered all 4 fingers in his garage and brought them to the hospital. Doctors sewed all 4 back into place and he regained 90% usefulness of his fingers.

Pretty amazing.
Originally Posted by DMc
Saw my neighbor frantically trying to get into the front door of his house. I ran over to discover he'd cut off all four fingers on his left hand working on a table saw in his garage. Loaded him into my car wrapped in towels and rushed to the hospital. Luckily my wife found and gathered all 4 fingers in his garage and brought them to the hospital. Doctors sewed all 4 back into place and he regained 90% usefulness of his fingers.

Pretty amazing.

Good man and good neighbor. Feel bad for the guy. [bleep] happens man. It's not always a matter of intelligence or a lack of, just rushing to get it done . SLOW THE F DOWN AND PREPARE. Triple check is what I tell myself every time especially since my last angle grinder incident.
Originally Posted by DMc

Pretty amazing.

Good man and good neighbor. Feel bad for the guy. [bleep] happens man. It's not always a matter of intelligence or a lack of, just rushing to get it done . SLOW THE F DOWN AND PREPARE. Triple check is what I tell myself every time especially since my last angle grinder incident.
Wife’s uncle is missing his right forearm to the elbow...farm equipment... my grandfather and my cousin were setting fence posts one day, somehow my cousin didn’t see that Gramps stopped for a moment with his hand on top of the post...took off two fingers with the post maul.

When I first started working in the machine trades in the early seventies it was common to see older machinists from the line shaft days missing fingers, very common.

There was a guy I once worked with who lost both his little fingers to ouch presses. Scuttlebutt was both incidents were intentional...for the money.
My brother lost his left hand ring finger at the palm in '85 or so at an AC/DC show at the Worcester Centrum. Was being unruly--as usual--and got into it with several event security types on the floor mid-show. Long story short, as he was making his escape from the violent encounter, at a full run, slipped on the beer-soaked tarp that covered the stadium floor. In an effort to stay on two feet as he was falling he reached up to grab hold of a steel barrier between seating sections made of maybe 2" pipe put together with nuts and bolts and clamps. Well, his HS ring got caught on a bolt hanging off the barrier and in medical terms, 'de-gloved' his finger. Stripped all meat, connective tissue and skin like ripping off a sock. What came off looked as if someone had taken a pair of shears and snipped a finger off a leather glove. What remained on his hand was a chalk white, skeletonized finger bone. He grabbed the sheath off the floor, stuck it back where it came from and kept fighting. Before going into surgery the doc promised that in no circumstances would they take off the finger. When he awoke he discovered, much to his chagrin, that his doc lied. No mo' finger. He sometimes will curse and whack his hand against his knee or whatever. Phantom limb sensations, like an itch on a digit that has been gone for 30 years...
The one guy I knew that lost a finger was, of all people, Neil Armstrong.

Neil was teaching at U.C. I was a Broadcasting Major. November of my Freshman year, Neil was at his Dad's place up in Wapakoneta and went to jump down off a combine. His wedding ring caught and tore the finger off. They stitched it back on. Shortly after that, I started crossing paths with him on my way to class, and for the next 3 years, we'd see each other twice a week or so.

It wasn't much. It was just a Hi and Hello kind of thing. I'd always ask how the finger was doing. He had this monstrous cast on the arm. It must have been a bear to live with. By the time I graduated, the cast was off and he was starting to regain movement.

That taught me one thing: don't wear your wedding ring around the farm. When I got the farm in 2001, I made a point of taking my wedding ring off whenever I was going to there. Sure enough, one day I was trying to get a cooler of venison out of the chest freezer and thing slipped. If I had been wearing the ring, I'd have lost the finger for sure. As it was, I just lost skin on top of the knuckle. I wrote Neil to thank him, but he was close to death at the time. I don't think he saw it.
Wedding rings. Got mine caught in conveyors at work two different times. Both times just minor damage to the finger, but after the second time, took it off never to be worn again. It was a point of contention with the wife for a short while but I sure as hell wasn't going to try my luck a third time.
Pops lost index and middle finger tips on one hand.
When he flips you off he has to give you the extension (other hand thumb and forefinger over stub finger to extend that which was removed).
Pretty funny.
Guy at tool room got a finger snagged in mill.
Medical bandaged it.
He had to explain what happened to management/safety.
So he showed em, and reached in with bandaged finger..........which was promptly removed.

Can't make this chit up.
Skilled trades............LOL
I gave the wrong guy the finger once - and I damn near lost it.
Posted By: las Re: Losing a finger or a toe...? - 02/23/20
A few scars, but I have all mine, yet. Right hand fingers are still a bit cold sensitive from being frostbitten getting the snow machine out of an overflow out of Kotzebue, 4 or 5 years ago. The tips were numb for a while, but the nerves seem to be re-generating pretty well, if slowly. Feeling is now restored when warm, but go numb quickly when cold, but not as bad as at first.

My landlord up there has no feeling in some of his finger tips from same cause. It seems permanent for him, as it has been many years.

Best friend growing up lost his right thumb when a tractor power take-off grabbed his glove. Didn't affect his shooting any tho. He also has a nasty scar on the same arm (right), from wrist to elbow, gotten when he neglected to let go of a water-ski tow rope and used a parked boat to arrest his progress on "landing".
© 24hourcampfire