Home
Posted By: 100grNP Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Tomorrow will be day five of agony. Went to the doc on Friday he gave me a steroid shot and colchicine. Nothing has fased it. If I go back to the doc tomorrow is there anything else that can be done or must I wait it out?
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Avoid red meat and alcohol.

Allopurinol.
Posted By: 603Country Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
I suggest that you drink a lot of water. That seemed to help me.
Posted By: Brazos Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Originally Posted by 603Country
I suggest that you drink a lot of water. That seemed to help me.

Agreed.

And Ibuprofen if you dare. Meloxicam is better and safer if you can get a 'scrip. I don't know how they interact with what you've already taken, though.

Good luck.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Allopurinol.

Not necessarily true. I have gout and spent a 30 day stretch this summer eating nothing but steak, pork chops, and enough celery to keep things moving. Add in copious amounts, and I mean a lot, of gin and had no attacks.

It's different for different folks, for some the triggers are meat, some it's high fructose corn syrup. No hard and fast rules or understanding of the ins and outs and whys and wherefores.

Luckily I can take allopurinol, but I've a good friend who is allergic to it and can't. Poor bastard has it bad and has had a rough go of it the last couple years.

To the OP, sorry but I don't know of any way to help other than steroids.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
See if a doc will give you some samples of Uloric, next gen uric acid med
Posted By: RickBin Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Colchicine until you’re squirting and Indocin. Those for right now during the attack.

The other option is to go to ER or urgent care and have them put a needle in your butt.

Then allupurinol or uloric daily.
Posted By: MickeyD Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20

Allopurinol.

Allopurinol ONLY AFTER the current attack has cleared up---NOT during!
I've been living with gout for far more years that I care to remember.
Allopurinol will lower your uric acid levels and is good for preventing the gout attack.
As long as I regularly take allopurinol I can eat all the red meat (or anything else) I desire.
It can be hard on your kidneys so your doctor will need to occasionally check your kidney function.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Originally Posted by MickeyD

Allopurinol.

Allopurinol ONLY AFTER the current attack has cleared up---NOT during!

Yep. Same thing with Uloric.

If I were you, and I followed the doc’s orders on colchicine and still was hurting after 5 days, I’d be signing up for a needle at the closest urgent care, and getting loud about Prednisone if I had to.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Prednisone does wonders for it. Highly recommend.
Posted By: hanco Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
I feel for you all that get that, thankful I don’t.
Posted By: BigPine Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Allopurinol.

Not necessarily true. I have gout and spent a 30 day stretch this summer eating nothing but steak, pork chops, and enough celery to keep things moving. Add in copious amounts, and I mean a lot, of gin and had no attacks.

It's different for different folks, for some the triggers are meat, some it's high fructose corn syrup. No hard and fast rules or understanding of the ins and outs and whys and wherefores.

Luckily I can take allopurinol, but I've a good friend who is allergic to it and can't. Poor bastard has it bad and has had a rough go of it the last couple years.

To the OP, sorry but I don't know of any way to help other than steroids.

By golly , a fellow gin enthusiast smile
I’ve had a couple touches with gout but thankfully a long damn time ago . Probably in my early 40’s and I really don’t know what triggered it. Meat and alcohol intakes haven’t changed . It’s hard to believe how just a sock touching a big toe joint can be so excruciatingly painful.
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
40mg of prednisone for 4 days, then 20mg for 4 days, 10mg for 4 days... then 5mg for 4 days.

It has been the only thing that has helped when an attack is full force. If I feel an attack coming on I start drinking an uncomfortable amount of water And take 800mg of ibuprofen 3x a day. That usually keeps the attack from going full force.

The first time I was given prednisone was eye opening. I couldn’t walk, let alone put a shoe on. My wife picked up an Rx for prednisone at 7pm. Took the first dose. Next morning I put my works boots on and went to work with a slight limp. After the second dose I was back %100. It’s been a game changer for me. Neither indomethacin or Colchicine has done anything for me once an attack is on.... other than give me stomach cramps and diarrhea.

If you’re not yet- get on a uric acid reduced and limit your sugar intake- especially high fructose corn syrup.

Good luck
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Originally Posted by MickeyD

Allopurinol.

Allopurinol ONLY AFTER the current attack has cleared up---NOT during!.

I’ll repeat this as well. Doc warned me not to take it during an attack, that it can make it worse. Only use as a preventative.

Colchicine worked for me the one time I took it during a flare up. Good enough the last time I was in Mexico I bought two boxes of it ($5/box) and carry with me anywhere I go. Haven’t had to use it, but it has saved a couple friends that needed it.

I have no clue what triggers it in me. I don’t drink. Plenty of read meat though. Thought it was shrimp at one time, but they haven’t bothered me lately.

My eye doctor of all people gave me a list with like 100+ foods. He told anytime I had a flare up to mark everything I’d ate the last few days. Said that’s how he found out the MSG in Chinese food was causing his.
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Go see the best rheumatologist in your area.
Worth the effort.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Start drinking tart cherry juice.
Posted By: viking Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Braggs apple cider vinegar
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Indomethacin, and tart cherry juice.
Posted By: Peanutfl Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Pickle juice
Posted By: whodat Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Steroid shot in the can, followed up with the trailing dose of prednisone. Anytime I feel a spell coming on I guzzle as much water as I can handle.
I think my triggers were shrimp and salmon, since I've limited these I've been good to go.
Posted By: Smokey262 Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Prednisone for fast relief.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Prednisone and colchicine until the flareup is over and then start allopurinol or uloric and gradually work up the daily dose. Drink lots of water with a little fresh lemon in it. Allopurinol can trigger an attach at first or make one worse if taken during one.

I never could figure out my food triggers but most of what I thought was gout was an autoimmune disease so immunosuppressants have helped me the most.

I remember years ago having and ankle the size of a cantaloupe that I couldn't walk on for over 3 months and the local dr telling me it was gout. Gout doesn't usually last 3 months and believe it or not gout hurts less than my autoimmune stuff. I can pretty much tell which is which. Stress can trigger both. Drs spent years trying to figure out my gout until they realized most wasn't gout.

Bb
Posted By: whelennut Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Drink lots of water. Lay off the beer.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20

Allopurinol.

I take it every day and have for years. Gout is a four letter word I'd just as soon forget.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
What worked well for me when I had a flare-up was indomethacin, but my cardiologist won't let me take it anymore. None of the other NSAIDS like ibuprofen or naproxen did much good, and I'm not supposed to use those anymore either.

Tried colchicine, didn’t help me at all. Guess it works for some people.

Ended up with a prednisone prescription. It works, but not as fast as the indomethacin did, and b/c it's a corticosteroid have to go thru the whole regime of full dose then tapering off - while watching for side effects.

So I cheat a little, held onto some indomethacin. If I realize a flare-up is starting I'll take the indomethacin for a day or two. Most times that keeps it at bay. If I get a full blown attack have to use the prednisone. Soon or later will run out of indomethacin and have to just use the prednisone. Good news is my gout doesn't attack very often.
Posted By: Frank_K Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Are you taking any type of Statin drug for cholesterol? In a small percentage of people (like me) statins can lead to Rhabdo or general joint and muscle problems. I've noticed people I know who had gout were also taking statins. When I came off of them my uric acid levels dropped to dead normal and I haven't had a gout attack in years. I no longer take Uloric and my uric acid levels have stayed normal. People with celtic background have more of a tendency towards gout. I can't site any studies this is just empirical.
Posted By: OldRook Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20

Take the meds prescribed by the Dr - It will get you thru it.. Then:

1. Eliminate all sugar from your diet
2. Get your carbs to less than 50 per day
3. Lay off the booze - see number one

Will make a huge difference going forward, at least it did for me.. Been a couple years and now I drink red wine and whiskey few times a week and still no issues. Dropped 65 pounds while doing it as well.
Posted By: Etoh Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Think purines (where the name allopurinol comes from). Any food source having high content should be avoided. Highest on the list are mushrooms and yeasts, then beans, red meat is quite a bit lower than these.

As mentioned fructose is at the top of the list although it doesn't have any purines. Large amt. of ATP adenosine tri phosphate are used to metabolize it and thats were the purine comes from.
Drinking a lot of water is helpful for several reasons. (the lemon juice or vinegar acidifies the urine.)

but mainly during the episode the ph of urine changes, which affects not only the purines but oxalic acid, causing precipitation of the salts in the kidneys, causing kidney stones.

urate crystals then precipitate in the largest joint spaces and poorest circulation areas result, the big toe, then the autoimmune system destroys the bone causing a characteristic "rats bite" on x-ray

jet water or foot vibrators help increase the circulation in the foot.
Supplements should include supports for the bodies, Kreb cycle ,, polyphenols, (elderberry,cherry,pomegranate,reservatrol), any bioflavonoids, (Rose hips)
Posted By: Badgerloader Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
I second the tart cherry juice recommendation. It works for me.
Allopurinol should be titrated up and down if you start to use it.

Start with 100 mg, for a week then 200 week, then 300, if needed. Immediate 300 mg will precipitate gout "attack"
My grandmother was old BSN, she went “operate” on my great aunt’s gout once.

Me and my great uncle stayed out in the backyard and pitched about 97 games horse shoes.

Sounded like an exorcism was being performed in that bedroom.

I remember a steak knife, wash pan and a bunch of bloody wash rags sitting out in the hallway.
All prostaglandin inhibitors and COX inhibitors can cause heart problems.

the link between sugar, cholesterol and gout and heart --- prostaglandins are derived through the arachidonic pathway, same one as cholesterol.

the "strongest" one is ketorolac, but it is short acting and not recommended for long time use.

If you get better results from steroids, you probably are all ready in "renal stress". and the steroids are supplementing the already low hydrocortisone (cortisol) your body makes during the Circadian rhythm
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Originally Posted by RickBin
Colchicine until you’re squirting and Indocin. Those for right now during the attack.

The other option is to go to ER or urgent care and have them put a needle in your butt.

This^^^

Don’t go on allopurinol until the attack is done, it’ll just make it much worse in the short term.

Posted By: Musicianized Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Tart cherry juice.
Posted By: Toddly Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Indomethacin, and tart cherry juice.

This
My U/A used to run in the 9,10s.

Never ever had a gout episode.

My nephs wouldnt ever prescribe allopurinol for U/A. Two different ones claimed potential nephrotoxicity.

Was always given uloric.

Seems strange all the allo drum beating. To me it does.

My docs gave me the sense that allopurinol was outdated medical tech.
crystallization is also ph dependent

Both are xanthine inhibitors, allopurinol suppresses purines uloric doesn't. Uloric high cost, pat. compliance better on allopurinol

track record for allopurinol is incredible. (survival rates, stats, units of doses taken on world wide basis] urloric not so much.

pick your poison, nephrotoxicity from drinking alcohol or allopurinol. thought to be due to increase of free radical formation, the strongest free radical scavenger in the body is oxalic acid, which is compromised when
the process of gout starts, along with kidney stones (ph changes, which is why Cherry Juice etc. work so well.)

Vioxx was going to put ibuprofen on the outdate list also, until it started killing people
Uh oh....my big toe is starting to tingle

Uloric and country ham, breakfast of champions grin

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Prednisone regimen until the attack if over, Allopurinol after. Fūck the rest of that schidt. Geezus fookin christ a man's got to be able walk...
Ok, everyone says “ drink cherry juice, drink tart cherry juice”

I mentioned Uloric which is what I take but no one wants to hear about that from me.

So the average pork chop eatin, Milwaukee’s beast drinking sloth says ...wtf is tart cherry juice?

Well, here it is: no one has the gouch here, but the wife is a health nut. I’m going to fix me up some since I broke it out of the back dark recesses of the fridge for picture time.
*be sure to mix it up good with cold water, it’s heavy, 68 brix it’ll make you slap yo mama

You’ll probably have to get it online, doubt Hermans’ Hermit Grocery and trading post in Salmon Idaho has it just sittin around.

It says you can mix it in beer

lol

Think a man would know his limitations 😃
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Originally Posted by RickBin

Rick nailed it. Only thing I would add is drink water till you are pissing every hour. Forget the holistic approach unless you want your toes to fall off.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20

I was having problems with Gout and figured out that granola breakfast bars where a bit contributor.

Once I dropped them from my diet, I haven’t had any problems.
Enjoying the expert advice here--

So why do women as a group have less gout than men, and younger women hardly ever?
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/24/20
Originally Posted by Musicianized
Tart cherry juice.

That's what works for me.
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/25/20
Be careful with prednisone. I once took 40 mg on doctor's orders and nearly had a stroke. My blood pressure went sky high. If I get a gout attack now I take no more than 20 mg a day. Colchicine helps my attacks, but it makes me feel sick. I get pseudo-gout, which comes about from dehydration. Same symptoms, but not from eating anything like bacon. I've had gout attacks for 25 years now, and it's not easy to deal with.

Cherry juice did nothing for me.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/25/20
Originally Posted by slumlord

My nephs wouldnt ever prescribe allopurinol for U/A. Two different ones claimed potential nephrotoxicity.

Was always given uloric.

I dunno about that. I go to the best rheumatologist in the whole state, and he has had me on 400 mg.if allopurinol daily since the first visit. That was about 15 years ago, and I haven't had a gout attack since that time. I DID cut back on red meat to a degree, and quit all mushrooms and shellfish, but that's about it, diet wise.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/25/20
Yeah, he’ll with anything I mentioned

Rick all the way!!!! lick lick lick lick
Posted By: slumlord Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/25/20
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by slumlord

Was always given uloric.

I dunno about that. I go to the best rheumatologist in the whole state, and he has had me on 400 mg.if allopurinol daily since the first visit. That was about 15 years ago, and I haven't had a gout attack since that time. I DID cut back on red meat to a degree, and quit all mushrooms and shellfish, but that's about it, diet wise.
could depend on *what* is causing your specific inability to process excess U/A
for me it was certain duties that my kidneys were letting go of due to my genetic renal insufficiency.

Thus, to preserve my remaining nephrons, its use was not advised.

But fuggit, my Mayo team told this, who the hell are they anyway
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: Gout attack day 5 - 02/25/20
Uricel worked better for me than anything, including prescriptions. https://www.rejuvica.com/collection...N1b3r5wIVCbLtCh0rcgz8EAAYASAAEgKfP_D_BwE
Posted By: BeardHunter Re: Gout attack day 5 - 03/14/20
First of all it’s not gout....it’s the gd gout. Always.

Ibuprofen alone usually fixes me otherwise it’s the colchicine until you fill your shorts.
Posted By: bamagun01 Re: Gout attack day 5 - 03/14/20
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Originally Posted by Musicianized
Tart cherry juice.

That's what works for me.

Even a glass of red wine works for a substitute!

I had a flare up last fall that lasted 5 days. I was ready to chop my freaking foot off, the pain was so severe.
Lots of water, ibuprofen, Tart Cherry juice, daily ice packs and time!

Avoid beer, liquor, red meat, high fructose and caffeine.

I know your pain. Good luck!
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Gout attack day 5 - 03/14/20
Black Cherry Juice is your friend.
Posted By: hanco Re: Gout attack day 5 - 03/14/20
Sorry you have it!
© 24hourcampfire