Home
http://www.newsminer.com/news/local...7aee2f8-567d-11ea-a879-47e7c8ec707d.html

Everybody seems to be putting up firewalls to keep people from looking without disabling adblockers... The bus needs to go away... multiple deaths and rescues because of it so far...

Five tourists rescued after trying to reach 'Into the Wild' bus
Erin McGroarty, [email protected] Feb 23, 2020 Updated 11 hrs ago

Stampede Trail 'magic bus'
A group of hikers take a break at Bus 142 along the Stampede Trail on June 21, 2009.

A group of five Italian tourists was rescued this weekend from the "Into the Wild" bus located off the Stampede Trail near Healy.

The group called for help around 8 a.m. Saturday while en route to the bus...

For the full story, select an option below.
Be quite the undertaking to remove that bus too.

Some dumbass would still look for it and get lost..
Why do people want to go see a POS broken down bus out in the middle of nowhere?
CH 47, or CH 53E. The boys probably need the training anyway.
Why is that a draw.......to see where some misguided fool died?
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Why do people want to go see a POS broken down bus out in the middle of nowhere?

I went wife my wife 5 years ago. At one point in the trail your along the sushana river. There were two hippie chicks there and one was topless. Didnt have a care in the world that we were there. Ive been wanting to go back since.
Some people just don't learn. Knew someone who was an aspiring rock climber. Took a major fall and had to endure a few years of surgeries with no luck. Ended up amputating. Still doing it now but even more dangerous spots. Kinda like bart Simpson sticking his hand into the fire and expecting a different outcome every time. Rush, I get it. Only rush I want to experience is opening an Amazon package containing a much needed tool. I'm boring. I like it that way.
Nothing a nice hot fire wouldn't fix.

Because dipstick made a movie about it, otherwise who the fook would know?
22lr and moose....
Originally Posted by OAM

I went wife my wife 5 years ago. At one point in the trail your along the sushana river. There were two hippie chicks there and one was topless. Didnt have a care in the world that we were there. Ive been wanting to go back since.

Laffin here. Its funny how that happens. There's probably a guy reading your story, planning this deathly hike right now.
IMO, the bus should be left there, but with a sign at the river warning people that they are on their own and people have died attempting to visit.

Of course people will go, but there ain't no rescue.
Originally Posted by erikj
Originally Posted by OAM

Laffin here. Its funny how that happens. There's probably a guy reading your story, planning this deathly hike right now.

Or planning to trade his wife for two hippie chicks, one topless n less.
Now it's 'BUS VIOLENCE'

and the nanny sate must provide protection!?!?!?!?
Am I the only one that's clueless?

There is a broken down bus that people make a dangerous
pilgrimage to?

How the heck did a bus get to a place that's so dangerous to walk to?
John Krakauer wrote a book about a young man who was a wandering soul, who wondered out into the wilderness of Alaska to try to live off the land. He wandered until he found an old bus, (if Alaska is like Montana, hippies in the 70s took buses into remote locations to try to live off the land) he died. The end.
The discussion has been whether the berries in his diet killed him or whether he starved.
I support more busses being placed into the wilderness, lots of people want to test their mettle.
The book is a great read, by the way ! The young man had just gotten in way over his pay grade, and it cost him his life.
I didn’t even think it was that great of a book. They made a movie? Why ever for?
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Am I the only one that's clueless?

There is a broken down bus that people make a dangerous
pilgrimage to?

How the heck did a bus get to a place that's so dangerous to walk to?

I'm with you, never heard of it until now. I got this off of Wikipedia. This dude wasn't only crazy, he was stupid. Sounds like a Darwin Award Winner.

Christopher Johnson McCandless (/məˈkændlɪs/; February 12, 1968[2] – c. August 1992), also known by the pseudonym Alexander Supertramp (Alex), was an American hiker who sought an increasingly itinerant lifestyle as he grew up. McCandless is the subject of Into the Wild, a nonfiction book by Jon Krakauer that was later made into a full-length feature film.

After graduating from college in 1990, McCandless traveled across North America and eventually hitchhiked to Alaska in April 1992. There, he set out along an old mining road known as the Stampede Trail with minimal supplies, hoping to live simply off the land. On the eastern bank of the Sushana River, McCandless found an abandoned bus, Fairbanks Bus 142, which he used as a makeshift shelter until his death. In September, his decomposing body, weighing only 67 pounds (30 kilograms), was found by a hunter inside the bus. McCandless's cause of death was officially ruled to be starvation,[3][4] although the exact cause remains the subject of some debate.[5][6][7][8]

Fairbanks City Transit System Bus 142 is an abandoned 1946 International Harvester K-5 that is parked in a clearing along the Stampede Trail near Denali National Park. It was originally one of a few buses used by the Yutan Construction Company to provide remote accommodations for the construction crew from Fairbanks that worked on road upgrades in 1960–1961. The bus engine was removed and it was instead towed by Caterpillar D8 bulldozers. It contained beds and a wood-burning stove, which still remain today. When the Stampede Mine ceased operations in the 1970s, all but this one bus were removed from the trail. Bus 142 had a broken rear axle, which caused the crew to leave it where it now serves as a backcountry shelter for hunters, trappers, and visitors.
Ah yes, I remember those hippie girls from my college days.

Originally Posted by OAM

Ah yes, I remember those hippie girls from my college days. The calendar gets us all eventually.

[Linked Image from i.dailymail.co.uk]

Fairbanks City Transit System Bus 142 is an abandoned 1946 International Harvester K-5 that is parked in a clearing along the Stampede Trail near Denali National Park. It was originally one of a few buses used by the Yutan Construction Company to provide remote accommodations for the construction crew from Fairbanks that worked on road upgrades in 1960–1961. The bus engine was removed and it was instead towed by Caterpillar D8 bulldozers. It contained beds and a wood-burning stove, which still remain today. When the Stampede Mine ceased operations in the 1970s, all but this one bus were removed from the trail. Bus 142 had a broken rear axle, which caused the crew to leave it where it now serves as a backcountry shelter for hunters, trappers, and visitors.

It now serves as a Mecca for young, clueless liberals to throw themselves on the sword.
That made my morning Rock Chuck --- thanks .................
I don't feel sorry for any of them and wouldn't waste my time trying to rescue them.
all to celebrate that stupid loser who died there... that guy was an idiot of the first order and now all these other idiots want to worship him
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/24/us/italian-hikers-into-the-wild-bus-trnd/index.html

Last year, a 24-year-old woman from Belarus died while trying to reach the bus. And in 2010, a Swiss hiker drowned while trying to cross the same river McCandless failed to cross.
I've been there several times and have a buddy that moose hunts out there every year. You have to cross 2 rivers to get to that bus and the 2nd one, the Teklanika, is often very sketchy and is where the gal from Belarus drowned. I don't know why people don't do their damn homework when trying to go out there, there is a cable upstream from the crossing that one can use to assist you in getting across yet people try to cross it where it's narrow and moving the fastest. The last time I was out there that bus didn't have much for windows, was a total dump inside and barely functions as a shelter. So many other, better places to visit in this state yet people still go out of their way to visit that bus.
Wasn't it a few years ago they had a reality show on tv about a competition between the best outdoor badasses in Alaska? IIRC one of their goals was to reach that bus. They gave a brief synopsis on the death of that kid when the team made it to that point.
Originally Posted by kkahmann
I didn’t even think it was that great of a book. They made a movie? Why ever for?

Because he put a naked hippie chick in it.
Originally Posted by kkahmann

I agree, way too much Krakauer ego.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Originally Posted by OAM

Ah yes, I remember those hippie girls from my college days. The calendar gets us all eventually.

I bet you would hit it!

Originally Posted by OAM

Lol!! Thats a great pic. On a serious note there are some really good looking hippie chicks up here. Good ones in Homer, Girdwood, Talkeetna. Especially Talkeetna on 4th of July. Two years ago I was there and kept thinking "why in hell did I get married"?! The ratio was 3/1 girls and it was awesome!
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
CH 47, or CH 53E. The boys probably need the training anyway.

Not a bad idea and they could drop it into one of their ma deuce firing ranges for shredding.
Gotta have something to draw out and eliminate some of the future Darwin Award Winners. Before they procreate.
Need one in the suburbs in every major metropolitan area. Thin the liberals out.
Originally Posted by OAM

Originally Posted by OAM

Lol!! Thats a great pic. On a serious note there are some really good looking hippie chicks up here. Good ones in Homer, Girdwood, Talkeetna. Especially Talkeetna on 4th of July. Two years ago I was there and kept thinking "why in hell did I get married"?! The ratio was 3/1 girls and it was awesome!

In Alaska? How good is your eyesight?
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I’m in Anchorage right now and you’d be surprised, I don’t know where they get them. There’s a lot of hot chics here.

That being said, maybe so many people wouldn’t die trying to get to this bus if they waited until summer? It was 2 degrees here last night, I think the outcome might be better when it’s a bit warmer.
Originally Posted by OAM

Reminds me of the story a friend told me about a topless girl running up and hugging him in the Walmart parking lot while she picked his pocket. He claimed it happened to him 3 times in one day
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

I’m in Anchorage right now and you’d be surprised, I don’t know where they get them. There’s a lot of hot chics here.

That being said, maybe so many people wouldn’t die trying to get to this bus if they waited until summer? It was 2 degrees here last night, I think the outcome might be better when it’s a bit warmer.

Not sure what part of town you are in... but we refer to good looking women here as "tourists!"
Originally Posted by Kellywk
Originally Posted by OAM

Reminds me of the story a friend told me about a topless girl running up and hugging him in the Walmart parking lot while she picked his pocket. He claimed it happened to him 3 times in one day

In my college days there was a good-looking blond checker at the local Albertson's that wore a loose button-down shirt with the top several buttons undone. It was easy to see right down her shirt. She used the attention lapse to short change guys right and left. I always went to her checkstand anyway...
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I've been there several times and have a buddy that moose hunts out there every year. You have to cross 2 rivers to get to that bus and the 2nd one, the Teklanika, is often very sketchy and is where the gal from Belarus drowned. I don't know why people don't do their damn homework when trying to go out there, there is a cable upstream from the crossing that one can use to assist you in getting across yet people try to cross it where it's narrow and moving the fastest. The last time I was out there that bus didn't have much for windows, was a total dump inside and barely functions as a shelter. So many other, better places to visit in this state yet people still go out of their way to visit that bus.

Actually read the book and have been back on the stampede trail before Mccandless decided he didnt want to live anymore. The reason which maybe achingly obvious, is that people cross at the narrowest part is because the other side looks closer. Its telling these people have no experience and common sense trying to survive, even briefly. Inept people panic.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Not sure what part of town you are in... but we refer to good looking women here as "tourists!"

Try the waitresses at the F St. Station downtown, the owner has an eye for talent.
I have known Danny Z well for a very long time. And I agree with you there. Did you try their Texas size fried halibut? It is half the size of the regular...
I have the book. I thought it was a good read.
Him and the guy who lived with the bears till they ate him were having a dumb contest and both won. Ed k
Stonecutter: Take that "nonfiction" bit in wikipedia with a block of iodized stock salt. "Loosely based on a dumshit's death" would be accurate.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I have known Danny Z well for a very long time. And I agree with you there. Did you try their Texas size fried halibut? It is half the size of the regular...

I always go for the Alaska size. When in Rome...
Free bus if anyone wants it! Just go and get it! LOL!

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/zip/d/healy-1946-international-harvester-5-bus/7081888822.html

Many of Alaska's historic relics are public. Sydney Laurence's oil paintings of Denali, Bradford Washburn's aerial camera, or Alaska's share of the Apollo moon rocks. But some things are not publicly owned, like chair 1 for lift 1 from Alyeska, Kennecott Erie Mine's pool table, or Fairbanks City Transit System Bus #142 - aka Chris McCandless's bus. And the bus is up for grabs to any enterprising Alaskan who want to go get it.

Seriously. It’s original owner, Yutan Construction Company, doesn't exist anymore. The state has declared it to be abandoned property: (see https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Moving-the-Magic-Bus-Should-it-stay-or-should-it-go-399562001.html). The bus is on state land with 20 miles of unimproved public trail between it and the highway - practically a free snack at Costco. The state seems to want paperwork in place before anyone claims it, but it doesn't seem likely that the state would pursue someone for removing an abandoned vehicle even if they didn't get whatever paperwork is necessary.

Everyone wins if someone goes and gets this thing. This @#$@ bus has been the cause of 3 to 5 rescues ever year for the last decade, and several tragic deaths. If you can remove it, and can use in any way profitable to yourself (Coffee shack? BAC party bus? Film it blowing up with a cardboard cutout of Keanu Reeves in the foreground and become an instant Youtube star?), you'll save lives, make money, and have a hell of story to tell at the bar. It's out there for the taking, and late winter would be the time to get it. Somewhere there must be an enterprising Alaskan who sees an opportunity to make some money and improve our home at the same time.
Imagine how much pot has been smoked in that bus!
Replica bus @ 49th state brewery in Healy. The one actually used in the movie.

http://www.thegreatestroadtrip.com/stops-along-the-road/2016/10/18/alaskan-beer-and-the-magic-bus

Attractive nuisance.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Replica bus @ 49th state brewery in Healy. The one actually used in the movie.

http://www.thegreatestroadtrip.com/stops-along-the-road/2016/10/18/alaskan-beer-and-the-magic-bus

Yup, pretty cool staged scene... probably encouraged too many to try the real thing though.
Good beer and easier rescue.
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Attractive nuisance.

Marketing.
What is the common cause of death? I watched a video about the hike and it seems the most common cause would be crossing one of the two rivers. Rivers are up then they are down. Try crossing many while they are up is inviting disaster. People don't understand the power of moving water. Swept under in sub 40 degree water you ain't going to last long.
Originally Posted by Armednfree
What is the common cause of death?

Dumbassery.

It's deadly in certain circumstances.
Maybe Alaska needs to reach out to https://humaneborders.org/water-stations/ so people can have a water station and maybe a pep talk.
How many people died in avalanches this year? Sometimes the wilderness takes people. We can’t bubble wrap it.
I'm thinking you don't actually have to remove the bus...

A half dozen sticks or dynamite, placed well, would discourage use of the bus for shelter.

But then you'd have the hippy types making the trip for a piece of the bus... smile
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Free bus if anyone wants it! Just go and get it! LOL!

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/zip/d/healy-1946-international-harvester-5-bus/7081888822.html

Many of Alaska's historic relics are public. Sydney Laurence's oil paintings of Denali, Bradford Washburn's aerial camera, or Alaska's share of the Apollo moon rocks. But some things are not publicly owned, like chair 1 for lift 1 from Alyeska, Kennecott Erie Mine's pool table, or Fairbanks City Transit System Bus #142 - aka Chris McCandless's bus. And the bus is up for grabs to any enterprising Alaskan who want to go get it.

Seriously. It’s original owner, Yutan Construction Company, doesn't exist anymore. The state has declared it to be abandoned property: (see https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Moving-the-Magic-Bus-Should-it-stay-or-should-it-go-399562001.html). The bus is on state land with 20 miles of unimproved public trail between it and the highway - practically a free snack at Costco. The state seems to want paperwork in place before anyone claims it, but it doesn't seem likely that the state would pursue someone for removing an abandoned vehicle even if they didn't get whatever paperwork is necessary.

Everyone wins if someone goes and gets this thing. This @#$@ bus has been the cause of 3 to 5 rescues ever year for the last decade, and several tragic deaths. If you can remove it, and can use in any way profitable to yourself (Coffee shack? BAC party bus? Film it blowing up with a cardboard cutout of Keanu Reeves in the foreground and become an instant Youtube star?), you'll save lives, make money, and have a hell of story to tell at the bar. It's out there for the taking, and late winter would be the time to get it. Somewhere there must be an enterprising Alaskan who sees an opportunity to make some money and improve our home at the same time.

Man, someone could make a million bucks. laugh Just think of all of the weirdos that would pay to see it. They took it in with a D8, why couldn't you take it out with a D8. The rear axle is broken, so pick it up from the ass end and drag it out of there and hope it stays in one piece. It would take a while and it would have to happen during the right time of year obviously. I thought it was further from the road than that. It's still 20 miles though, and not sure what the terrain is like. The wackos would probably freak out because someone was removing some sort of F'ed up landmark or something.
© 24hourcampfire