C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

In Alaska? How good is your eyesight?

I’m in Anchorage right now and you’d be surprised, I don’t know where they get them. There’s a lot of hot chics here.

That being said, maybe so many people wouldn’t die trying to get to this bus if they waited until summer? It was 2 degrees here last night, I think the outcome might be better when it’s a bit warmer.

Not sure what part of town you are in... but we refer to good looking women here as "tourists!"

Try the waitresses at the F St. Station downtown, the owner has an eye for talent.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I have known Danny Z well for a very long time. And I agree with you there. Did you try their Texas size fried halibut? It is half the size of the regular...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have the book. I thought it was a good read.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Him and the guy who lived with the bears till they ate him were having a dumb contest and both won. Ed k

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Stonecutter: Take that "nonfiction" bit in wikipedia with a block of iodized stock salt. "Loosely based on a dumshit's death" would be accurate.

Last edited by las; 02/26/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I have known Danny Z well for a very long time. And I agree with you there. Did you try their Texas size fried halibut? It is half the size of the regular...

I always go for the Alaska size. When in Rome...

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Free bus if anyone wants it! Just go and get it! LOL!

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/zip/d/healy-1946-international-harvester-5-bus/7081888822.html

Many of Alaska's historic relics are public. Sydney Laurence's oil paintings of Denali, Bradford Washburn's aerial camera, or Alaska's share of the Apollo moon rocks. But some things are not publicly owned, like chair 1 for lift 1 from Alyeska, Kennecott Erie Mine's pool table, or Fairbanks City Transit System Bus #142 - aka Chris McCandless's bus. And the bus is up for grabs to any enterprising Alaskan who want to go get it.

Seriously. It’s original owner, Yutan Construction Company, doesn't exist anymore. The state has declared it to be abandoned property: (see https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Moving-the-Magic-Bus-Should-it-stay-or-should-it-go-399562001.html). The bus is on state land with 20 miles of unimproved public trail between it and the highway - practically a free snack at Costco. The state seems to want paperwork in place before anyone claims it, but it doesn't seem likely that the state would pursue someone for removing an abandoned vehicle even if they didn't get whatever paperwork is necessary.

Everyone wins if someone goes and gets this thing. This @#$@ bus has been the cause of 3 to 5 rescues ever year for the last decade, and several tragic deaths. If you can remove it, and can use in any way profitable to yourself (Coffee shack? BAC party bus? Film it blowing up with a cardboard cutout of Keanu Reeves in the foreground and become an instant Youtube star?), you'll save lives, make money, and have a hell of story to tell at the bar. It's out there for the taking, and late winter would be the time to get it. Somewhere there must be an enterprising Alaskan who sees an opportunity to make some money and improve our home at the same time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Imagine how much pot has been smoked in that bus!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Replica bus @ 49th state brewery in Healy. The one actually used in the movie.

http://www.thegreatestroadtrip.com/stops-along-the-road/2016/10/18/alaskan-beer-and-the-magic-bus

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Attractive nuisance.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Replica bus @ 49th state brewery in Healy. The one actually used in the movie.

http://www.thegreatestroadtrip.com/stops-along-the-road/2016/10/18/alaskan-beer-and-the-magic-bus

Yup, pretty cool staged scene... probably encouraged too many to try the real thing though.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good beer and easier rescue.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Attractive nuisance.

Marketing.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is the common cause of death? I watched a video about the hike and it seems the most common cause would be crossing one of the two rivers. Rivers are up then they are down. Try crossing many while they are up is inviting disaster. People don't understand the power of moving water. Swept under in sub 40 degree water you ain't going to last long.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Armednfree
What is the common cause of death?

Dumbassery.

It's deadly in certain circumstances.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Maybe Alaska needs to reach out to https://humaneborders.org/water-stations/ so people can have a water station and maybe a pep talk.
How many people died in avalanches this year? Sometimes the wilderness takes people. We can’t bubble wrap it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm thinking you don't actually have to remove the bus...

A half dozen sticks or dynamite, placed well, would discourage use of the bus for shelter.

But then you'd have the hippy types making the trip for a piece of the bus... smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Free bus if anyone wants it! Just go and get it! LOL!

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/zip/d/healy-1946-international-harvester-5-bus/7081888822.html

Many of Alaska's historic relics are public. Sydney Laurence's oil paintings of Denali, Bradford Washburn's aerial camera, or Alaska's share of the Apollo moon rocks. But some things are not publicly owned, like chair 1 for lift 1 from Alyeska, Kennecott Erie Mine's pool table, or Fairbanks City Transit System Bus #142 - aka Chris McCandless's bus. And the bus is up for grabs to any enterprising Alaskan who want to go get it.

Seriously. It’s original owner, Yutan Construction Company, doesn't exist anymore. The state has declared it to be abandoned property: (see https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Moving-the-Magic-Bus-Should-it-stay-or-should-it-go-399562001.html). The bus is on state land with 20 miles of unimproved public trail between it and the highway - practically a free snack at Costco. The state seems to want paperwork in place before anyone claims it, but it doesn't seem likely that the state would pursue someone for removing an abandoned vehicle even if they didn't get whatever paperwork is necessary.

Everyone wins if someone goes and gets this thing. This @#$@ bus has been the cause of 3 to 5 rescues ever year for the last decade, and several tragic deaths. If you can remove it, and can use in any way profitable to yourself (Coffee shack? BAC party bus? Film it blowing up with a cardboard cutout of Keanu Reeves in the foreground and become an instant Youtube star?), you'll save lives, make money, and have a hell of story to tell at the bar. It's out there for the taking, and late winter would be the time to get it. Somewhere there must be an enterprising Alaskan who sees an opportunity to make some money and improve our home at the same time.

Man, someone could make a million bucks. laugh Just think of all of the weirdos that would pay to see it. They took it in with a D8, why couldn't you take it out with a D8. The rear axle is broken, so pick it up from the ass end and drag it out of there and hope it stays in one piece. It would take a while and it would have to happen during the right time of year obviously. I thought it was further from the road than that. It's still 20 miles though, and not sure what the terrain is like. The wackos would probably freak out because someone was removing some sort of F'ed up landmark or something.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 02/27/20.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 14,459 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,163
Posts18,542,924
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.