Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
http://www.newsminer.com/news/local...7aee2f8-567d-11ea-a879-47e7c8ec707d.html

Everybody seems to be putting up firewalls to keep people from looking without disabling adblockers... The bus needs to go away... multiple deaths and rescues because of it so far...

Five tourists rescued after trying to reach 'Into the Wild' bus
Erin McGroarty, emcgroartynewsminer.com Feb 23, 2020 Updated 11 hrs ago

Stampede Trail 'magic bus'
A group of hikers take a break at Bus 142 along the Stampede Trail on June 21, 2009.

A group of five Italian tourists was rescued this weekend from the "Into the Wild" bus located off the Stampede Trail near Healy.

The group called for help around 8 a.m. Saturday while en route to the bus...

For the full story, select an option below.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Be quite the undertaking to remove that bus too.

Some dumbass would still look for it and get lost..

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Why do people want to go see a POS broken down bus out in the middle of nowhere?

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
CH 47, or CH 53E. The boys probably need the training anyway.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Why is that a draw.......to see where some misguided fool died?

IC B2

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Why do people want to go see a POS broken down bus out in the middle of nowhere?

I went wife my wife 5 years ago. At one point in the trail your along the sushana river. There were two hippie chicks there and one was topless. Didnt have a care in the world that we were there. Ive been wanting to go back since.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Some people just don't learn. Knew someone who was an aspiring rock climber. Took a major fall and had to endure a few years of surgeries with no luck. Ended up amputating. Still doing it now but even more dangerous spots. Kinda like bart Simpson sticking his hand into the fire and expecting a different outcome every time. Rush, I get it. Only rush I want to experience is opening an Amazon package containing a much needed tool. I'm boring. I like it that way.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nothing a nice hot fire wouldn't fix.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J

Because dipstick made a movie about it, otherwise who the fook would know?

Last edited by johnn; 02/24/20.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
22lr and moose....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OAM

I went wife my wife 5 years ago. At one point in the trail your along the sushana river. There were two hippie chicks there and one was topless. Didnt have a care in the world that we were there. Ive been wanting to go back since.

Laffin here. Its funny how that happens. There's probably a guy reading your story, planning this deathly hike right now.

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
IMO, the bus should be left there, but with a sign at the river warning people that they are on their own and people have died attempting to visit.

Of course people will go, but there ain't no rescue.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by erikj
Originally Posted by OAM

Laffin here. Its funny how that happens. There's probably a guy reading your story, planning this deathly hike right now.

Or planning to trade his wife for two hippie chicks, one topless n less.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Now it's 'BUS VIOLENCE'

and the nanny sate must provide protection!?!?!?!?

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Am I the only one that's clueless?

There is a broken down bus that people make a dangerous
pilgrimage to?

How the heck did a bus get to a place that's so dangerous to walk to?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
John Krakauer wrote a book about a young man who was a wandering soul, who wondered out into the wilderness of Alaska to try to live off the land. He wandered until he found an old bus, (if Alaska is like Montana, hippies in the 70s took buses into remote locations to try to live off the land) he died. The end.
The discussion has been whether the berries in his diet killed him or whether he starved.
I support more busses being placed into the wilderness, lots of people want to test their mettle.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The book is a great read, by the way ! The young man had just gotten in way over his pay grade, and it cost him his life.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I didn’t even think it was that great of a book. They made a movie? Why ever for?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Am I the only one that's clueless?

There is a broken down bus that people make a dangerous
pilgrimage to?

How the heck did a bus get to a place that's so dangerous to walk to?

I'm with you, never heard of it until now. I got this off of Wikipedia. This dude wasn't only crazy, he was stupid. Sounds like a Darwin Award Winner.

Christopher Johnson McCandless (/məˈkændlɪs/; February 12, 1968[2] – c. August 1992), also known by the pseudonym Alexander Supertramp (Alex), was an American hiker who sought an increasingly itinerant lifestyle as he grew up. McCandless is the subject of Into the Wild, a nonfiction book by Jon Krakauer that was later made into a full-length feature film.

After graduating from college in 1990, McCandless traveled across North America and eventually hitchhiked to Alaska in April 1992. There, he set out along an old mining road known as the Stampede Trail with minimal supplies, hoping to live simply off the land. On the eastern bank of the Sushana River, McCandless found an abandoned bus, Fairbanks Bus 142, which he used as a makeshift shelter until his death. In September, his decomposing body, weighing only 67 pounds (30 kilograms), was found by a hunter inside the bus. McCandless's cause of death was officially ruled to be starvation,[3][4] although the exact cause remains the subject of some debate.[5][6][7][8]

Fairbanks City Transit System Bus 142 is an abandoned 1946 International Harvester K-5 that is parked in a clearing along the Stampede Trail near Denali National Park. It was originally one of a few buses used by the Yutan Construction Company to provide remote accommodations for the construction crew from Fairbanks that worked on road upgrades in 1960–1961. The bus engine was removed and it was instead towed by Caterpillar D8 bulldozers. It contained beds and a wood-burning stove, which still remain today. When the Stampede Mine ceased operations in the 1970s, all but this one bus were removed from the trail. Bus 142 had a broken rear axle, which caused the crew to leave it where it now serves as a backcountry shelter for hunters, trappers, and visitors.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Ah yes, I remember those hippie girls from my college days.

Originally Posted by OAM

Ah yes, I remember those hippie girls from my college days. The calendar gets us all eventually.

[Linked Image from i.dailymail.co.uk]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,444
Posts18,470,916
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.