Home
Posted By: wabigoon Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
No pictures, I have my older brother's Stevens 12 gauge double, my grandfather's Browning A5 12, son Jake has a Remington nylon 66 my father had, gifted by my nephew.

Care to talk about yours?
Posted By: antlers Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
I have a Model 94 that my grandfather won on a punch board back in the late 1930’s by entering my grandmothers name on the punch board.
Originally Posted by antlers
I have a Model 94 that my grandfather won on a punch board back in the late 30’s by entering my grandmothers name on the punch board.

Well he knew who ran the raffles!
Posted By: Kyhilljack Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
I lost all of mine in a fire. Dad had all of his stolen.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
savage 99 f 250-3000
ruger bh 41 mag
sevens favorite
s&w m39
rem 870 mag 12 and wingmaster 20
Posted By: 240NMC Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Colt AR15 serial number 2xx, made in 1964.
I have my Grandfather's Remington 512 .22 rifle. Dad gave it to him new sometime in the late 1940's. We found an apparently new and unfired H&R "Secret Service Special" top break .32 S&W revolver in my late uncle's effects, the only revolver I've ever seen with a safety. My wife inherited two S&W "Safety Hammerless" revolvers, one from her aunt and another from her Grandmother, both in .32 S&W chambering. Grandma's gun also appears to be unfired, and we found a partial box of ammo in the dresser drawer beside it. The 5 missing rounds from the box were in the cylinder.
Jerry
Posted By: glosto Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Winchester Mdl 12 30 full
Winchester Mdl 63 22 auto
Browning Sweet 16 28 full
Colombia 16 single barrel

These guns mean a lot to me.
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Winchester Model 52B .22LR 1940. Grandfather bought for a Turkey shoot. Like new with extra's.
Winchester Model 12 12ga, Circa 1961..99%;
Heirlooms for sure.

Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Originally Posted by antlers
I have a Model 94 that my grandfather won on a punch board back in the late 1930’s by entering my grandmothers name on the punch board.

My 94 came from a 50 cent raffle ticket dad bought in like 1949 or so when he was employed at the Texas Employment Commission in Austin. He gave it to me when he left my mother and us in ‘68. I still have it.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Win 1890 .22 WRF....from the original owner. It still shoots well.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Bob I was thinking of you when I posted the thread. "Worn out guns".
Posted By: slumlord Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
I was unloved
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
I come from a poor family, any firearms I "inherited" I bought from aging relatives. and then to make matters worse, they all burned in a canoe swamping incident. it was pretty bad.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Bob I was thinking of you when I posted the thread. "Worn out guns".

LOL! This 94 is still in pretty dang good shape. However I have an old rolling block CF sporting rifle i inherited from my grandfather in 1966 that has seen better days! It qualifies as wore out
Posted By: cowdoc Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
I have my FIL's Ruger Single Six 22LR, serial # says its 1957 vintage IIRC. And a (very rough) Jap 7.7mm Arisaka he brought home from the Phillipines in 1945.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Model 1905 Winchester 35 SLR from my great - grand father Maple, who was once Sheriff of Beaver County, OK.
Colt Bisley 32 WCF from "The Warden"s grandfather - given to him by a former NM State Police motorcycle cop who used it as his duty weapon.
Posted By: CEoW717 Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Fox SxS 12 gauge from my grandfather... thing kicks like a damn mule.
Posted By: Fugawe Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
I have my Grandpa's Iver Johnson Champion single shot 12ga.
I remember shooting it as a kid. When you pulled the trigger you could almost see the hurt coming down the stock.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
16 gauge remington single shot from my great grandfather, 1918 single shot winchester 410 from my grandmother, and a 270 winchester built by PO Ackley in 1970 or 71 from my father. And a 1929 browning A5 12 gauge from a great uncle.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Mom called me and said her dad wanted some tomatos and asked if I had some. I filled a 5 gallon bucket full, drove the 90 miles there to give him. “I can’t just take these....I’ll trade you my shotgun”. So I’ve got his old Savage 745 (A5’ish clone) that he bought later in life to replace the one he had that burned up in a house fire. He passed away the next year.

For Christmas a couple years ago my wife had bought my dads dads Model 12 from him for me for Christmas. I used it a few weeks later on wild pheasants. He passed less than a year later.

Glad to have them both.
Doctor Dan, you do realize hanging about this place is a bad habit? laugh
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Got my dad's entire gun collection....... A Winchester Model 67 single shot .22 he got in the latter 1930's and his Iver Johnson Champion 16 ga. break open single shot from about 1940 or '41. In 1978 I had the Iver Johnson re-blued and the receiver re-casehardened by an old master gunsmith right here locally. It's still stunningly beautiful. Also inherited a Marlin 30AS ( economy model 336) in 30-30 and a German Luger from an uncle in 2001. He personally brought the Luger home from Germany in 1945.
Posted By: scoony Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
I have my Great Grandfather's 1884 Springfield Trapdoor. He was on a marksmanship team with the NY National Guard. He inscribed the info on the rifle stock. Company D, 12th Regiment NYNG. I am guessing he was a member in 1900-1903

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It also has an inspector's mark. I looked it up once and found the name, just don't remember at the moment.

Posted By: MIKEWERNER Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
I inherited two firearms from my grandfather, first was an Ithaca/SKB model 500 20 gauge. Shot my first rabbit with it. Chip was good at cutting out all the shot and fur.

The second was a centennial octagon bbl model 94 30-30.

Had to buy Dad’s BDL 308 at auction....after the evil step-mother sold it, shortly after his death. Never could find/track down the Fox side-by-side. The 700 was an early model, with the swirly, (apparently) stamped checkering.

Got their buck knives too, 110’s, 102’s, 105’s.
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Little Rem M12A Story goes, my grandfather’s older brothers left it in the cellar on a bin of cabbage for a spell, causing the barrel to rust and pit on one side pretty bad. My uncle inherited it when a kid and tried to sand it out. Looks like hell. My dad said as boys they shot it until “when you shot it, nothing came out, so we stopped using it.” Probably a good idea.... I got it as “a project”. Removed an unbelievable amount of lead from the throat. Bore roached but i wanted the barrel for the history, so relined it. Now having some issue with misfires, but i’ll get it done.

Ps have a nice condition model a and c to play with in the meantime. Too much fun!
Posted By: EdM Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Nothing. My brother and sister took ALL...
Thanks men, a good thread.
Posted By: hanco Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Nothing, no money, nothing at all.
My grandfather had some rifles he call relics, flintlocks, my father had them, then a family friend saw them, and said his cousin Alex borrowed them from Bert's father. My father let him have them. Gone now, I'll live.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
My grandfathers model 37 red letter 12ga. Stock is in poor condition, I keep saying I'm gonna fix it but never get around to it. Gave all the other stuff to my nephews.
Posted By: Steve Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Got a few from my Grandpa. Coolest are a custom 7mm Mag on a Mauser and a Rem 121 smooth bore 22 pump.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
From My Grand Uncle Mikhail

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: HawkCreek Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
No firearms but I got my love of Wincheater levers from my step-dad.
Posted By: JDK Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Sako Hi Power
Savage 1899
Marlin 336
Posted By: ingwe Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Had to check in to see what "inhered" was....
Posted By: Lennie Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Originally Posted by renegade50

Please share your family tree.
My father left me a very nice High Standard HD military. Vintage about 1950.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
In my family when someone passes away all the guns disappear and nobody "knows anything"
Posted By: slumlord Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Originally Posted by Jericho
In my family when someone passes away all the guns disappear and nobody "knows anything"
they sack the house while the rest of the family is at the graveside service?

Around here, it a race all the way back to granny’s from the funeral home.
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
I've got a side by side double barrel 12 gauge Riverside. It was my great grandfather's. Full choke in both barrels. It was said to have won many a turkey shoot. My great grandfather only ever killed one turkey and was with this shotgun. Story was he gave it both barrels. He said, " better half a turkey than no turkey".
Posted By: Muffin Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Grandfather gave me a Colt 1851 Navy, it was given to him by HIS grandfather, I am to give it to my oldest grandson... and so on and on.....

G.G.Grandad.......
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Winchester Model 1887 Manufactured in 1894. Great Grandpa bought it new.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sweet.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
My brother-in-law stole them before I got there. Haven’t had contact with him or my sister since.
Posted By: Billc Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
GGGG grandfather's Leman half stock 38 cal rifle.

GGG grandfathers. A Hollis percussion shotgun,and a hetherington percussion shotgun.

GG grandfather. Ithaca NIG 10ga.

Great grandfather. Winchester 1897 12ga.

Grandfather. Browning superposition 12ga and a Winchester 54 30-06, and colt woodsman .22

Dad. Lewis gun 303 british.
Sad hearing a couple of posters talking about relatives snagging up guns.

And other things

Happens all the time.

I have no doubt the back story of some of the gems I have gotten over the years outta pawnshops are a result of this.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
My dad, tho a hunter and trapper in rural NY State in his Depression-era youth, never touched a gun after his service in the Marines in WWII, so none from my dad.

My son already got the ones he grew up shooting from me.
Posted By: kenacp Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Lost every last one in Katrina...
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
great grandpaps sheriff pistol and retirement star....

[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]
Posted By: patrout Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Guns were for a purpose, thus Dad’s were utilitarian. I have my Grand Father’s Belknap 22 single shot and champion 16 ga single shot, Dads Marlin 35 rem lever and Win 12 ga pump. I still carry the win for grouse and turkey. Only a 2 3/4 chamber with fixed full choke but it has taken more birds than I can recall. Didn’t ever know about the Colt 1911 .45 until he passed. Guess it was there for a purpose too.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20

And other things

Happens all the time.

I have no doubt the back story of some of the gems I have gotten over the years outta pawnshops are a result of this.

My dad brung home two Japanese Officer's swords from Okinawa, gave them to his kid sister in NY State to hold when he left for England to court my mom. Kid sister married a notorious tightwad, never did find out what happened to those swords.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

And other things

Happens all the time.

My dad brung home two Japanese Officer's swords from Okinawa, gave them to his kid sister in NY State to hold when he left for England to court my mom. Kid sister married a notorious tightwad, never did find out what happened to those swords.

My inlaws in maine.
Notorious estate plunderers.
Mostly Native Americans
Then they get pissed at each for doing it.
Think mostly cause others beat em too it actually...

Schitt like that dont fly on my side of the family.
Sometimes we need to be the Grandpa, start it going.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Winchester Model 1887 Manufactured in 1894. Great Grandpa bought it new.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Me likey.
Originally Posted by scoony
I have my Great Grandfather's 1884 Springfield Trapdoor. He was on a marksmanship team with the NY National Guard. He inscribed the info on the rifle stock. Company D, 12th Regiment NYNG. I am guessing he was a member in 1900-1903

It also has an inspector's mark. I looked it up once and found the name, just don't remember at the moment.

Congrats. I am very impressed.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Best of show right there.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
I inhered my Savage 99 300 savage from my Uncle, I also inhered my dad's Savage Stevens 311 12 gauge SXS with a Tenite Stock. The old stock had got so loose I could not keep it on the gun so I had a wooden set made up for it.

Great old guns I use still today.
Posted By: Stix Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Best of show right there.

Yup. Thread winner. Is it a thunderer or lightning? The long barrel is fairly rare. I have a few myself. Delicate but beautiful in the hand.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
thunderer
Posted By: Slickdually Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
From one grandad a Marlin 36a and a Spanish Mauser in 7x57, from the other side a Ruger Mark I and an early mini 14 from an uncle the week before he passed.
Damn near everything I own is for sale for the right price but not these 4.
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
Model '94 Marlin 25-20 made in 1906. Originally my Granddads Uncles gun, then to him and then me.
I've posted a picture of it with a couple rabbits on here in the past. It gets a steady diet of NOE 260283 plain based cast bullets over 4198.
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20

Came from very poor background. No firearms to inherit. I will change that as will mine pass to relatives, but difficult to decide who gets what as not sure they will be appreciated by the possible receivers. Thinking most will only be seen as something to sell to satisfy other wants. GW
I posted last week about my wife's uncle having a stroke behind the wheel and being in a coma.plug was pulled as per his wishes and we buried him yesterday.
Went back to the house after the funeral and my brother in law hands me a blue towel,inside was a 1873 trapdoor carbine,a stevens crackshot in .22lr,and a "r .johnson",middletown ct. 1842 .54 smooth bore flintlock pistol ,with the broken off hammer taped to the side.none are in real good shape,but something to keep me busy.it always amazes me what's stasted away in people's attics
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
[Linked Image from vilda.alaska.edu]
The C.S. Holmes was one of the most photographed sailing ships.

My Uncle by marriage was the son of a ship owner [last of the 4 masted schooners working Alaska to Seattle] in 1939.
His father bought shotguns to defend the ship from the Seattle dock strike. One was a new 1939 Win 97 pump 12 gauge.
Then the father died.
My uncle inherited the ship with shotguns.
The ship was demasted and used as a barge in WWII where it sank.
But the Shotguns were still in Seattle.
The guy married my aunt ~ 1950.
Christmas 1957 my uncle gave my father the shotgun.
1963 my father buys himself a new Remington 1100 and I hunt with the hand me down Win 97.
2012 my father dies and I inherit my Win 97 shotgun officially.

.... and that is the short version of my inherited gun.

Posted By: shaman Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
I have Dad's Model 12 trap gun that he used to take to Vandalia.

I have Grandpa Whitey's Model 12 16 gauge bird gun. Great Grandpa made him a case for it.

I also have the Win 1897 that Whitey had for his first gun. He spent a summer back before WW1 mowing the lawn in exchange for it. It was in horrible shape, but he fixed it up and hunted into adulthood with it. Some time in the 1930's, he got a letter from the son of the farmer asking for it back. Nope.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20

M28 brand NIB...I was the first to shoot it. Rests on my Grandpa's side delivery David Bradley rake that I also inherited. Knife is OTC Marine Raider that I just bought myself.

My Maternal Grandfather's M12 Remington on a side delivery rake I inherited from my Dad.

My Dad's 38-44 Heavy Duty along with my Buck knife.

No pics of my Paternal Grandfather's Winchester M1890 that is down in the safe nor my Uncle's Marlin Pump (looks like a M97 Winchester and I've never figured out the exact model...maybe a M42) that he gave me. Grandpa is buried not far from here over on the hill. Uncle is down in East Texas. Other Grandpa is also in Texas in the same cemetery. Dad is in National Cemetery #1 due to his service in WWII.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20

Here's nearly the same thing I used to own and came across in my photo album. No cool story and didn't inherit it. Just owned it a few years. Mine is in the smaller caliber and doesn't appear to be in as good a shape as your Grandpa's.

Posted By: JamesJr Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20

Wish I had a rich uncle like that........lol.

Does another relative count?
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
From my dad, I got his DCM M1 Carbine that he got around 1962-63, and a 1911 Colt 45ACP. My 3 younger brothers also got 2 guns each, including his Winchester Model 12 and Marlin 39A. When my grandfather died, I got his Essex 410 that my daddy and all of us boys had learned to hunt with, and my it was son's first hunting gun as well.

I still have them, while my brothers either sold or traded away most of theirs, in addition to having at least one stolen.
Posted By: hanco Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/27/20
My son is going to get quite a few!
Posted By: GaryLBumpus Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/28/20

Originally Posted by slumlord
I was unloved

God Loves You!
Posted By: Steve Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/28/20
Originally Posted by GaryLBumpus

I was unloved

God Loves You!

'Flave..?
Posted By: ihookem Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/28/20
My dad died 3 yrs ago. He left me his almost new .300 Savage.
Posted By: las Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/28/20
My '94 was my Dad's but I had to trade a Blackhawk to my nephew Karl for it. When my folks were killed in a car /train accident, my oldest brother, as Executor, "assumed" all the guns in the house, including my personal JCHiggins .22, which I dearly miss, and which his son Karl sold for running money, along with several others, missing only the '94. When Weldon died I made the trade with Karl, whom I should have just shot..... Lightly rusted, and wood buggered up some during Weldon's possession, I had to refinish both. It is my walk-about piece.

Aaaand, no one of his kids wanted Weldon's Belgian A5 12 Ga..... smile. It was a lightly exterior rusted, but I had bluing tanks on line... the wood was OK. I should take it hunting some day.

I was given a Cabelas' Kit .45 BP rifle, after the giver's nephew shot himself, and she went paranoid anti-gun.. She had put it together and finished it herself. A nice job, too. That's close to "inherit", I guess. I should take it hunting sometime... smile

Hi Standard .22 auto-pistol. Came in for re-blueing, after being lost for several month off a snow machine. Guy never came back, could never contact him. It's MINE! I like it better than my MK II. So it is rust pitted along one side... fugger shoots and the price was right!

Some POS off-brand, single shot .12 Ga. - Spencer, IIRC. Customer never came back for it after I re-blued it for him. If I am not carrying the '94 on walk-about, I'm probably carrying this. Needs new stock and forearm, both fire-charred. I think I've enough scrap around...if I can get to it.

Field grade double - LCSmith 12 Ga.metalworks to be blued and stocked. It had been stripped of original blueing already - still is, only now grease-coated. I told him I needed money down for the woodwork. He never came back. I really have to blue that thing, find some wood, and stock it....after 20 years, I guess it's mine. Likely have the metal parkerized, tho, rather than fool around with rust-blueing. (Can't use tanks on double, even if I still had them set up) I have half a dozen other guns that need worked on first.

This retirement bit is taking up way too much time!

Do scopes count? The Leupold 3.5-10 VXIII on my '98 came in to have the rings taken off. Guy had buggered up the screws and I had to drill them out. He never came back, and I was never able to contact him. I have a feeling "stolen" and "jail" may be involved... also more than 20 years ago.
No luck going thru LEO either, after several months. Can't rank on the Leupie, as some do. The outfit shoots 1" groups at 300 yards, if I can hold it steady enough.

Posted By: jwall Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/28/20
wabi

No pics here either. I’ll remember as much as I can.
G fathers Mossberg 22 BA, 22 s, l, & lr

Dad’s
Rem 551, s, l, lr
Rem 870 , 12 G 28”
Win 50, 12 G. 26” & 30”
Win 97
Rem M Six 270
? 22 revolver, 8 shot
Hawken style 50 cal
THOMPSON C 50 cal

Those for sure.
Jerry

* latest development * Divorce --- wife got the gold mine..... I got the shaft !
Originally Posted by hanco
My son is going to get quite a few!

I’m his brother.... dad ..... laugh laugh

Jerry
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by GaryLBumpus

I was unloved

God Loves You!

'Flave..?

sick sick sick
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/28/20
Have a 1906 Essex 32” bbl in 16 ga. Single shot

1913 .22 single shot

That’s the only firearms I have 🤷🏻‍♂️

Why yes Maynard I’m ready for the revolution 💪🏼
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/28/20
I bought a 1992 win trapper in .44 mag to use as a knockabout gun, and trust me in the boat or snowmachine they get knocked around 🤦🏼‍♂️😂.

Damn thing was too cherry to be used as such so I gave it to my oldest boy as he was 12-13 ish

His lil brother 8ish was butthurt big brudda got a rifle & he didn’t 😢

Sooo I hunted around till I found one in .357 & gave it to him. He was over the moon & loved that thing

They’re now 26 & 21 & live together in a house they rent they came over the other day to help move the gun safe.

When we emptied it out the lil .357 trapper was in there

He came to me later asking if it would be ok if he took it home w him 🤷🏻‍♂️

Son it’s your rifle, you’re 21 & weigh a hundred, the days of asking me what you can do with your stuff are over

He just said, since it’s been in your safe I thought it would be the respectful thing to ask first

Honestly since that kid first breathed air he’s been nothing but joy for me.

Might have to get him a gunsafe for his bday
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/28/20
Dad's only firearm was a Model 88 Winchester in .308 Win. He gave it to me before he passed. It is the best shooting Model 88 I have ever used.

Once he got old enough I gave it to my oldest boy. He has since given it to his left handed son. It should work exceptionally well for him.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/28/20
I have an national match M1 Garand issued in 1961 at Camp Perry. Cherry condition.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/28/20
I have my Grandfathers Marlin 12-gauge shotgun (1920's) and my fathers custom Savage 110L deer rifle (1960's).
Posted By: killerv Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/28/20
I've got my great grandfathers model 11 and miroku 38 snub, my great great uncles win 67, my grandfathers a5. My grandfather still has a safe full of guns but I doubt I'll ever see them. His mind is going and my crackhead cousin who still lives with them I'm sure will get his hands on them.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/28/20
I have my Dad's Rem 721 30-06. It's a very good shooter but too heavy for this old guy. I did get an elk with it 2 years ago. It fired on him 1 time when he released the safety. He had it repaired and it hasn't done it since. I don't know what they did to repair it. It still has the same trigger. The safety is too loose and needs repair. I've thought about putting a Timney in it but I don't use it often enough to justify the cost.
Posted By: aboltfan Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/28/20
My dad gave me his grandfather's 16 ga. single shot that was restocked by my mother's grandfather after it had been in a fire. I killed my first game (a rabbit) with it when I was 8. When I was 12 he gave me his father's M94 Win. I used it to take my first deer, a 7 pt.

My father died at 47 when I was in the army. After the funeral his wife gave me his S&W M15. Mighty nice of her considering my mom bought it for him as a wedding present when they got married.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/28/20
Like photographs, the old arms should me marked, or labeled somehow so the young folks know the story behind them.
Posted By: lightman Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/28/20
I have inherited firearms twice in my life. A few of them;

Dad's SAA from the first year they started releasing the Gen 2's. Still unfired.
Dad's Remington 1911. Original unmodified and very good condition.
Dad's M-11 Remington shotgun.
Dad's M1 Carbine
Dad's Colt Woodsman Match Target
Dad's pre 64 M-94 Winchester

Grandpa's '03-A3 Springfield
Grandpa's 1911, a Colt, still original
Grandpa's Colt Woodsman Match Target

There are a few others but these are the cream of the crop. Unlike some families my Brother and I got along great during both of these events. I fully expect the same behavior from my Boys when My time comes.

Edited to add, I have a Master list with serial numbers and descriptions and relevant information on my guns.
Posted By: Torqued Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/28/20
Inherited a benelli super 90 12ga and a berretta 686 12 from my dad
A 760 game master 30-06 from grandpa
And a 700 in 243 and a colt peace maker buntline 22 mag from my step dad.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/28/20
Browning A-5 12 gauge
Winchester 100 .308 win.
TC Contender 45 LC
Remington 788 .308 win.

Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/28/20
Let the BATF know what you have.
Originally Posted by ingwe

It's either "inhered" or "outhered"...! What is so difficult about that?

grin
Posted By: sgt217 Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/28/20
Grandfathers 1894 Winchester made in 1916
Grandpas HR 22 with a quarter penny front sight
Dad's Stevens DB 12
Dad's SW mod 19 357
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/28/20
My dad’s Sears ( Marlin model 81) 22 bolt with a peepsite. The stock was cracked and I ordered a Boyd’s walnut stock to replace the maple one.
Not an expensive gun, but my mom gave it to him as a birthday present . When I was about 4, I’m 70 now.
Posted By: PWN Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/29/20
From my father-Remington 1100 12 gauge with 30" full and 28" modified barrel, Browning A-5 12 gauge mix of Jap and Belgium bits , Remington Nylon 66, Ruger 10/22, Browning BAR in 270 Weatherby, Ruger 45/22, Texas Ranger break action 12 gauge, Remington 742 30.06 carbine, Marlin bolt 22 magnum. I kept the Texas Ranger because it is the first gun I can remember being in our house when I was very young. I kept the 1100 for my grandson, I gave the 10/22 to my oldest daughter and I kept the Nylon 66 because he always said it was mine but he kept it at his house and one of my stepmothers used it to kill a huge black dude that broke into her apartment one night while my dad was working nights. She emptied the magazine into the dude and did so naked at the time because that was the way she slept. She looked like Rachel Welch's twin sister. Must have been quite a surprise to the guy to be killed by a hot looking naked gal with a Nylon 66. I sold the rest. My dad wasn't much on gun maintenance and all were in various stages of neglect except for the 1100.

From my stepfather-Stevens 311 12 gauge double, The only gun he owned when he and my mother got married in 1978, Remington 870, S&W M-10, original Ruger Standard .22, Mossberg 835 3.5 inch pump, Knight 45 caliber muzzleloader, CVA Wolf 50 caliber, TC 50 caliber Hawkin, Winchester 190 .22, Winchester M-70 push feed 300 WM, Remington 760 in 30.06. I kept his 311, 870 and M-10. I let his kids pick one each from the others and sold the rest. The M-10 is one of the most accurate pistols I have ever shot.

From my mother-Springfield cannon breach break action 410 she won at a turkey shoot when she was 12 years old. Marlin 336 in 30-30 and a S&W M-38 Cheifs Special with S&W holster she carried when she was a night manager at a grocery stores in the black sections of Tulsa in the 70's and kept by her bed until the day she died. Sold the 336 and kept the pistol and 410.

From my maternal grandfather-Mossberg 142 that was stolen when I was in college.

From my paternal grandfather-Remington M-11 20 gauge he carried under or behind the seat on his truck for as long as I could remember. It was his deer gun in Arkansas where they ran deer with dogs. He loaded it with buckshot and slugs alternated in the magazine with buckshot up first. Rough shape but still worked to kill game. Stolen during a car burglary while I was taking the bar exam in Colorado in 1991. Never recovered. I had it in my truck because I had gone to a gun club and shot a round of sporting clays the day before the exam to blow off some stress and forgot to take it out of my truck. The gun was behind the seat and I believe the thief originally broke in because they thought a badge case I had in the console was a wallet. The thief also got a Bersa 380 pistol I kept in the truck that had been given to me by a deputy friend who took it off a local dirt bag during a bar check when I was doing a ride along with him in the late 80's. I got the badge and case back from Thornton PD 5 years later. They recovered it after a foot chase of a burglary suspect. They did not catch the guy, but he dropped the case jumping a fence.

Looking back on it I kept some odd choices but they had memories for me.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/29/20
Downstairs in my great grandfather's Shriner sward. I nee another picture, photobucket you know.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/29/20
Originally Posted by ingwe

Wabi lacks a bit in the "IT" department. Not always a bad thing, BTW.

He omted the it.
I ain't so smart.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/29/20
We love you anyway you big dumb farmer (and fisherman)
But God loves you MORE!
smile
Thank you, and thank Him.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Firearms You Inhered? - 02/29/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I ain't so smart.

You ain't so dumb either........
© 24hourcampfire