Home
Posted By: Leanwolf My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
About five weeks ago, Kathy, my wonderful wife of 43½ years, died at St. Alphonsus Hospital, here in Boise, of pneumonia and complications from severe Alzheimer's dementia. She had been a resident at a memory care facility for nearly two years. That became necessary as my wife in her dementia was a "wanderer," became delusional, and had very bad hallucinations with which I was unable to cope. Her memory was severely impaired. We had no children so I had to try and take care of her and everything else required in daily life myself. Over a period of time, it became impossible and I reluctantly placed her in a respected local memory care facility in early-May, 2018. I was 81 and Kathy was 72.

I visited her every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, and took her to doctors and dentist appointments. I would call her every day. The care giver would give her the phone so we could talk. Often, my wife did not really know who I was and sometimes she did not know I was her husband when I visited. Nevertheless, every time I visited, she was happy to see me. It was very devastating to watch her wonderful mind deteriorate. I know there are others here who have had to watch their loved ones degenerate in mind and I know how they felt, just as they will know how I felt.

In early February, my wife contracted a cold. It became worse although a doctor at the facility prescribed some medicine. Her cold got worse and she fainted, striking her neck and hip on a chair. The care givers called the paramedics. They called me and said they thought she should go to the hospital. Of course I said to take her and I'd be there in 30 minutes.

When I arrived, Kathy was on a gurney in the Emergency room waiting to go in for X-rays. I tried to comfort her but she was coughing racking, deep lung coughs almost constantly. After X-rays the doctor told me she did not have any bone breaks but a CT scan had shown she had severe pneumonia. He wanted to admit her for treatment and I said to do it. They put her in a room, hooked up IVs, heart and blood pressure monitors, oxygen, etc. Her horrible coughing continued. I was with her from about 12;15 PM until 11:00 PM that night. Because I have macular degeneration, I can not drive at night as the oncoming headlights blind me. The drive home from the hospital that night was "an adventure," I assure you, but I made it safely. For the next seven days, I arrived about 9:30 AM and left about 5:00 PM to get home before dark.

After three days, no matter the doctors' and nurses' extraordinary efforts Kathy's pneumonia continued to get worse. She could not swallow water nor eat solid foods, nor could she walk. She was delirious and did not know what was going on, She was miserable. On the fourth day, her doctor told me "Your wife's prognosis is not good at all." On the eighth day, as I was sitting beside her bed holding her hand, she sighed and that was her last breath.

I managed to contract a bad cold so after my wife's death, I have stayed at home to make sure my cold did not become pneumonia or Covid 19. Fortunately, I seem to be okay now. My neighbors have been very kind to me. They bring me food and pick up groceries when they have to go to the market. I conduct certain legal details by phone, fax, and e-mail.

I am devastated by the death of my wife, the love of my life, my very best friend, and my wonderful companion. Kathy was a Christian, a patriot, loved our country and Constitution, and loved me with all her heart as I loved her.

I have sympathy for all here who have loved ones with dementia or other serious illnesses. Hopefully, someday a dementia cure or preventative will be found. There are none yet.

L.W.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Holy cow.

Very sorry.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
I'm very sorry to hear of your hard times, Leanwolf.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Sorry about your loss.

Grieving is natural and is the opposite side of the coin called love. Without love there would be no grief.
Don't try to short-circuit the process and recognize it for the beautiful thing that it is.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
So sorry for your loss Leanwolf. No one really knows just what to say in a time like this, but my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Posted By: mbhunt Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Sorry for your loss Leanwolf. I lost my mom to dementia. It's like losing them over and over.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
very sorry to hear of your loss, praying for comfort at this time
Posted By: Steve Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
I'm very sorry. Having watched loved ones go through similar experience I have the utmost empathy.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
You ,sir fulfilled your husband duties to a T. I’m so sorry for your great loss. May your wife Rest In Peace.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
More than I have had to deal with, sympathy, and May Our Lord we with you.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
I am so sorry LW!
Posted By: 19352012 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
I'm very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your love story with us.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Sorry to hear about your loss Leanwolf.

Souns like you were both lucky to have had one another.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
LW my condolences on your loss.I am seeing the same dementia and Alsheimers in my 89 year old mother. MB
Posted By: HTDUCK Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
My deepest condolences LW.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Oh man. I am so sorry.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
LW--sorry for your loss, your wife sounds like an amazing person.
Posted By: MD521 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
May she rest in peace. Memories you still have all of those wonderful memories.
Posted By: slumlord Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Tough read, I cannot imagine your pain and loss

Try to keep yourself physically healthy while all this other sickness is going around.
Posted By: Waders Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
I'm supposed to say something meaningful, and I am going to fail--absolutely 100%. I'm sorry for that. More importantly, I am very, very sorry for you losing your bride. I'm sorry for Kathy and that she had to slowly deteriorate, and for the confusion and frustration she felt along the way.

I lost a grandfather to dementia. I remember the mixed emotions of going to see him and bringing photographs of the family to look at on a laptop. He would look at the same 125 photos over and over, never realizing that he just saw them a few moments ago. My mother-in-law had dementia as well; she passed last year. It's a tough way to go.

I am, however, happy to hear about the good times and good years you had together. She knew the Lord as her Savior so that's a blessing. As your days ahead turn into weeks, months, and years, I hope that you are able to enjoy your life.

43 1/2 years. I'd say that's a job well done. You have my congratulations and condolences.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
I have no words, LW.
Posted By: 1minute Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Not experienced such in our immediate family, but did assist both of our 90+ year old neighbors through their struggles. They had spent 70 years together.

Been married here for 46 years, and can not imagine going to bed with out my partner beside me. Dwell on the good times, and perhaps the pain will subside.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
LW,

my absolute sincerest condolences.

One of the toughest stories I've ever read here.

Hang tough.

Geno
Posted By: screaminweasil Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Best wishes for you. I am so sorry to read about your loss. Your pain was beautifully written, jumping at me with gravity. God be with you. Phillipians 4:13
Posted By: 4xbear Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
I am so saddened by your loss. I wish I could say anything that would help but having been there I understand my words would mean very little. You do have my sympathy. Best regards Bear
Posted By: NVhntr Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Sorry for your loss. You are a fine example of a loving husband. What you have been through is one of my greatest fears.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
I envy a man who has been lucky enough to have found such a deep and abiding love. You were very blessed and I’m sure that makes your loss seem even greater.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: elkcountry Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Sorry for the loss of your wife and best friend!

I know all to well what a terrible disease Alzheimer's is as I watched my dad go through a very similar fate.

Best wishes to you and yours!

Elk Country
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
So sad, so sorry LW....😎
Posted By: Morewood Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
My heartfelt condolences, Leanwolf.
Posted By: DougD Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
I am so sorry for your loss, Dementia is an evil thing to watch.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Took a good man to say all that ....darn.....
Posted By: deadlift_dude Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
My condolences. You did everything duty and love requires of a husband.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Very sorry for your loss. May Kathy Rest In Peace and comfort.
Hold on to the precious memories of better times.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
May God bless and comfort you.

Thank you for sharing your story with us.

I regret not knowing anything I can do to help.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Prayers offered as you begin your grieving process. I've been reading you posts for years.... we have never PM ed one another but if you have a specific Prayer request please feel free to let me know.

You are one of the good guys.

John
Posted By: jdunham Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
No words LW. That is an experience no one should have to endure, yet many of us will at some point. You are exactly what a husband should be, hoping you find the peace you deserve.
Posted By: rost495 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Condolences thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: Quak Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
I’m sorry for your loss. Please stay positive my friend...you will be with her again.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Very sorry for your loss.

Paul
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
I would like to write something but my screen is very blurry right now. Maybe later after I compose myself I'll be able to.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
My biggest fear right there, losing my wife before I go. My deepest condolences to you LW, that is a pain no husband should have to endure.
Posted By: Aviator Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Prayers for you!
Posted By: mudhen Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Prayers offered for you and your wife. I hope that you can start to feel a little better, knowing that you did all that was humanly possible.
Posted By: poboy Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Prayers up for you. R.I.P.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
So sorry for your loss.
Posted By: chris_c Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
So sorry for your loss
Posted By: Whelenman Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
I’m deeply about your loss. Prayers on the way from Michigan .
Posted By: 5sdad Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
So sorry to hear of this. Thoughts and prayers for you from Iowa. Try to spend time reflecting on the good times - make them happen once again in your mind.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Sorry to hear of your loss.
Posted By: marktheshark Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Sorry to hear of your loss. Try to remember the good times and keep a positive outlook. Remember to take care of yourself.
Posted By: JimR Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
I am sorry to hear of your loss.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Sorry about your loss, you did the best you could for your wife given all the circumstances.
Posted By: memtb Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20

Leanwolf, Very sorry for your loss. Our Thoughts and Prayers for You, Your Family and Friends. A very difficult thing to deal with. We have a very good friend going through the same thing....only days away! They were very close to God.....that is helping him accept and get through this! May God be with you also. memtb
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Leanwolf, Thank you very much for sharing with us. Truly, truly my wife and I give our deepest sympathies. We can not claim to know your loss. Though we know the process.

My wife's grandmother, her mother, and all her aunts and uncles on that side succumbed to the insidious thing that is alzheimers.

Again, so sorry for your loss.

My prayer is that I live long enough to assist my wife through the similar trials which we expect her to face.
Posted By: Mid_MO_Hunter Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Leanwolf, I just buried my dad 3 months ago under almost identical circumstances ... eerily similar as far as symptoms and the progression of the disease. After getting a front row seat to witness a parent navigate through a similar journey ... I am very, very sorry you had to go through that. It is nothing short of gut wrenching. As it relates to this board, Dad put a .22LR in my hands not long after I learned to ride a bike and taught me how to shoot. He also put up with me acting like a little jack@$$ many, many times on a Dove Field when he would only let me shoot a single barrel 20 ga. ... while my brother and everyone else had a 12 ga. Auto. Little did I know at the time that he was training me to be a Cracker-Jack wing shooter. He thought me about Mother Nature and the Great Outdoors, conservation, hunting, etc. ... things that I used to take for granted but now treasure greatly that, things that I will pass along to my boy. Funny how we receive some of the greatest gifts in life while being completely delirious of what’s being given to us at the time. Many of the outdoorsmen on this board are truly the lucky ones - and don’t even realize it ... yet.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
God bless you and your wife sir. Very sorry for your losss, but take solace, she'll be waiting for you on the other side... J
Posted By: KFWA Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
She is lucky to have someone like you to be with her.

Strength be to you
Posted By: SKane Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Damn. Damn. Damn.

Sincerest condolences on your loss.
Posted By: jwall Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Only 2 hrs of this OP & 6 pages.

Count me in please. Soooo sorry man.
Dimentia or Alzheimer’s are TERRIBLE things to experience and maybe
more so to watch happen to loved ones.

Sincere sympathy.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20

Heartfelt condolences!
Posted By: Partsman Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
I have no words, I dealt with a father in law with dimentia until his passing, my heart goes out to you, hope and pray you can find the strength to go on, and cherish the good memories you have of your wonderful wife.
Posted By: BamBam Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
LW, my condolences, it was very emotional for me reading your post my heart goes out to you.
Posted By: smokepole Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Condolences Leanwolf, you've been through a lot. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease, hopefully we'll have a cure someday soon.

RIP Kathy.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
My condolences. I'm very sorry for your loss and the suffering involved.
Posted By: kandpand Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Words are not enough. Praying for God to comfort you.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
So deeply sorry for the loss of your help mate. May all your dreams be filled with the good memories you and she made in your time together. May she be wrapped in the arms of a loving God.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Dear Lord i cant imagine. sorry for your loss
Posted By: justsaymoe Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
I don't know you but it is devastating to hear, You have been through a tremendous trying and difficult time. May God give you peace as you have 43.5 years of memories to get you though these difficult times.

God bless you Leanwolf - Kathy will be waiting for you!
Posted By: gwrench Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
There's no doubt that you did all you could do in behalf of your loved one. Be at peace. Many of us know and share your pain!
Posted By: RiverRider Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Sorry for your loss, LW.

My dad's wife developed dementia and he began to get feeble himself and we had to basically force them into assisted living about six years ago. She deteriorated at a slow pace for a while, then it accelerated to breakneck speed. She was a very attractive woman all her life, then over a period of about 12 months aged to the point that she looked 100 years old and completely lost touch with everyone around her. The sad thing is that she always was afraid of that happening because it happened to her own mother.

Incidentally, she was a survivor of the Bataan Death March. She was eight or nine years old when McArthur did in fact return to the Philippines.

We will never know how she actually felt in that last year of her life, but I suspect it may have been awful for her. A week with pneumonia may have been more merciful, but I sure as heck don't know. No attractive choice there.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
My condolences for your loss, and my best wishes for your own future.
Posted By: jmdriver Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
So sorry to hear this L.W... frown frown

I can't offer much that will help. You are in my prayers though.
Posted By: utah708 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
My most heartfelt condolences.
Posted By: RickyD Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
I'm so very sorry for your loss, but also very impressed by the way you cared for your wife. You will be her hero in Heaven forever.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
I'm very sorry you and your wife had to go through this L.W.

My condolences and sincerest sympathies to you sir. It's going to be tough but you can do it, Chin up, stand tall, and walk forward, she'd want the absolute best for you, take it you've earned it.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
having been in love with my girl for 53 years my heart breaks for you Leanwolf. may God comfort you.
Posted By: saddlering Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
So Sorry to heard this, I do know what you have went thru, as going thru this with my Mom now! Take care brother!
Posted By: GregW Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Sincere condolences...
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
So sorry to hear this.. My sympathy!!!
Posted By: 35 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
L.W.

So sorry to hear of your loss.
Stay strong !
Posted By: Lonny Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
LH, I'm so very sorry to hear of Kathy's suffering. My deepest condolences...
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Very sorry for your loss LW. God bless and take care of yourself !
Posted By: AB2506 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Leanwolf, My sincere condolences. I can't begin to comprehend the agony of your loss.

My grandmother died of dementia/Alzheimers. It was terrible to see her mind deteriorate. In the end, I couldn't get myself to visit her in the home. It was a relief to see her years of suffering end. It is a terrible disease.

I will pray for you Leanwolf.
Posted By: lightman Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
Really sorry for your loss. Prayers offered.
Posted By: Whitebird Re: My Great Loss. - 03/24/20
I am so sorry for your loss.
I was at the same hospital to see my mother pass on last August 29.
Posted By: Dennis81082 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
You're a good man L. W.
Posted By: NMiller Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Wow, that's tough, bless you! That is a terrible way to go, seen the Alzheimer thing with some that I know.
Posted By: Slickdually Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Condolences and prayers for your peace.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
I am very, very sorry for your loss. She sounded like a wonderful woman, and you sound like a wonderful husband.

God's peace during this sad time Leanwolf. May your wife now rest in His peace.
Posted By: HughW Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
So sorry for your loss. My wife lost her mother the same way. Alzheimer's dementia is a terrible disease as the person that you knew is no longer there only the shell. In time your memories will be of the good times. All the best to you Leanwolf.
Posted By: EdM Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
I cannot imagine. No words...
Posted By: RichardAustin Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Leanwolf you did all you could. Give thanks that you had the time you did. I think I can say with confidence that Ms. Kathy had an exceptional mate herself.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Your story seemed t touch my heart. My prayers go out to you in this time of loss.
God bless you
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Sorry about your loss. Sounds like you have grit though, so hang in there!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Very very sorry for your loss Leanwolf.
Posted By: Huntr Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
This just breaks my heart. My sincere condolences and prayers.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
I am very sorry for your loss, I will say a little prayer for you tonight.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
LeanWolf;
Please accept my condolences sir and know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and the family left behind.

I believe we've actually discussed dementia, though I had no idea your wife was suffering from it.

My late mother was a dementia patient and my much loved mother in law still is.

I can't imagine honestly sir - again you're in my prayers for sure.

Dwayne
Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Sorry you lost your wife and God bless for standing by her to the end, Leanwolf. Thank you for sharing a little about her. She sounded like a wonderful woman and you were blessed to have one another for 4+ decades.
Posted By: 44mc Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
LEANWOLF you are the man most on here hope to be .you did what your heart said what it would when you put the ring her finger . you are a fine man .i wish i could take the pain for you .
Posted By: Deans Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
My condolences to you.

My wife's Dad passed away about a year ago with dementia. Tough to see someone suffer with that.

You gave it all you had to take care of your wife. Give God the glory and thanks she is not suffering anymore. May God be with you and comfort you.
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
May blessings and joy be yours again. And soon.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Damn, life is so hard sometimes.

You were blessed to have such a companion.

You did right by her through her hard times, for richer,,for poorer, in sickness and in health.

So sorry for your loss.
Posted By: WV_Airedale Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Condolences Sir.

Shawn
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
So sorry for your loss!
Posted By: Odessa Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
So very sorry for your loss, my condolences to you.
Posted By: acy Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Leanwolf, your post brought tears as I read it. I'm very sorry for the loss of your wife. It sounds like you two had a good life. Remember all of the good times.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Sorry about that Leanwolf. Mom had dementia and lived with us until her stroke. After her hospital stay she had a short stint at a nursing home which I promptly removed her from given the terrible care there. I was fortunate to find a very good personal care home for her. I miss her still. You did your best and that's all anyone can do.
Posted By: MLC Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
So sorry for your loss. We just had to put my Dad who is 83 with dementia in a nursing home last week. My Mom who is 80 was still trying to care of him but was unable to do it any more. It"s killing her as they have been married for 60 years.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
So Sorry to hear this. My Condolences. Sounds like you did what a Husband is supposed to do to the end.
Posted By: Lennie Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
About five weeks ago, Kathy, my wonderful wife of 43½ years, died at St. Alphonsus Hospital, here in Boise, of pneumonia and complications from severe Alzheimer's dementia. She had been a resident at a memory care facility for nearly two years. That became necessary as my wife in her dementia was a "wanderer," became delusional, and had very bad hallucinations with which I was unable to cope. Her memory was severely impaired. We had no children so I had to try and take care of her and everything else required in daily life myself. Over a period of time, it became impossible and I reluctantly placed her in a respected local memory care facility in early-May, 2018. I was 81 and Kathy was 72.

I visited her every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, and took her to doctors and dentist appointments. I would call her every day. The care giver would give her the phone so we could talk. Often, my wife did not really know who I was and sometimes she did not know I was her husband when I visited. Nevertheless, every time I visited, she was happy to see me. It was very devastating to watch her wonderful mind deteriorate. I know there are others here who have had to watch their loved ones degenerate in mind and I know how they felt, just as they will know how I felt.

In early February, my wife contracted a cold. It became worse although a doctor at the facility prescribed some medicine. Her cold got worse and she fainted, striking her neck and hip on a chair. The care givers called the paramedics. They called me and said they thought she should go to the hospital. Of course I said to take her and I'd be there in 30 minutes.

When I arrived, Kathy was on a gurney in the Emergency room waiting to go in for X-rays. I tried to comfort her but she was coughing racking, deep lung coughs almost constantly. After X-rays the doctor told me she did not have any bone breaks but a CT scan had shown she had severe pneumonia. He wanted to admit her for treatment and I said to do it. They put her in a room, hooked up IVs, heart and blood pressure monitors, oxygen, etc. Her horrible coughing continued. I was with her from about 12;15 PM until 11:00 PM that night. Because I have macular degeneration, I can not drive at night as the oncoming headlights blind me. The drive home from the hospital that night was "an adventure," I assure you, but I made it safely. For the next seven days, I arrived about 9:30 AM and left about 5:00 PM to get home before dark.

After three days, no matter the doctors' and nurses' extraordinary efforts Kathy's pneumonia continued to get worse. She could not swallow water nor eat solid foods, nor could she walk. She was delirious and did not know what was going on, She was miserable. On the fourth day, her doctor told me "Your wife's prognosis is not good at all." On the eighth day, as I was sitting beside her bed holding her hand, she sighed and that was her last breath.

I managed to contract a bad cold so after my wife's death, I have stayed at home to make sure my cold did not become pneumonia or Covid 19. Fortunately, I seem to be okay now. My neighbors have been very kind to me. They bring me food and pick up groceries when they have to go to the market. I conduct certain legal details by phone, fax, and e-mail.

I am devastated by the death of my wife, the love of my life, my very best friend, and my wonderful companion. Kathy was a Christian, a patriot, loved our country and Constitution, and loved me with all her heart as I loved her.

I have sympathy for all here who have loved ones with dementia or other serious illnesses. Hopefully, someday a dementia cure or preventative will be found. There are none yet.

L.W.

My heart and thoughts go out to you. Your kind words and love for your wife bring tears to my eyes
Posted By: local_dirt Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Leanwolf, Very sorry to hear of the passing of your dear wife. My dearest Mother was also a victim of that terrible disease, Alzheimers. She went at age 59. My Dad was sole caregiver for 5 years until he, like you, just couldn't do it anymore.

I sincerely hope you are able to cope with your loss, and find reasons to carry on, as my Father did.

Best to you, brother.
Posted By: g5m Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Leanwolf, I'm very sorry about your loss. I've been around a lot of those problems over the years and I really feel for you.
All the best to you!
Posted By: Greyghost Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
So sorry to hear. It's not an easy thing to go through, for me it was a little over six years ago after thirty-five years. Watching and being with your closest friend and spouse go slowly like that.

Phil
Posted By: achadwick Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Leanwolf,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Words fail me.

But you stuck by her to the end. And for that, my hat is off to you, sir! I salute you!
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
My heart breaks for you Sir but it sounds like you are a man that kept his promise, “in sickness and in health, till death do part us” and you bring great honor to your wife.

I can only imagine the difficulty of watching your spouse deteriorate mentally as the ravages of Alzheimer’s takes over. I know what Alzheimer’s looks like up close and personal and it’s impossible for 1 person to take care of a “wanderer”. My wonderful mother in law tried and thought she could....until she couldn’t. We moved dad into a beautiful facility last summer and it was the RIGHT decision so I can relate to the difficulties you faced and you have my respect for doing it for as long as you did.

You and your wife are an inspiration for us younger guys coming up in your footsteps. Your love and dedication is a testimony to the way you felt about her and through that you honor her.

I’m truly sorry for your loss and will pray for the Lord’s comfort during this time. All my best to you Sir!
Posted By: achadwick Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
My heart breaks for you Sir but it sounds like you are a man that kept his promise, “in sickness and in health, till death do part us” and you bring great honor to your wife.

I can only imagine the difficulty of watching your spouse deteriorate mentally as the ravages of Alzheimer’s takes over. I know what Alzheimer’s looks like up close and personal and it’s impossible for 1 person to take care of a “wanderer”. My wonderful mother in law tried and thought she could....until she couldn’t. We moved dad into a beautiful facility last summer and it was the RIGHT decision so I can relate to the difficulties you faced and you have my respect for doing it for as long as you did.

You and your wife are an inspiration for us younger guys coming up in your footsteps. Your love and dedication is a testimony to the way you felt about her and through that you honor her.

I’m truly sorry for your loss and will pray for the Lord’s comfort during this time. All my best to you Sir!

This, in spades! ^^^^
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Sorry to hear about your Wife.

Prayers sent.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
My prayer is that I live long enough to assist my wife through the similar trials which we expect her to face.

I say that same prayer. Since it runs on her side of the family I too pray that I live long enough to get the privilege to care for her....even if she doesn’t remember me. I’ll be by her side until the very end. That’s why Leanwolf’s love and dedication is so inspirational to me.
Posted By: efw Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
More than I have had to deal with, sympathy, and May Our Lord we with you.

Yep unbelievably sorry to hear of your loss sir; may the peace of the Holy Spirit abide with you!
Posted By: Dutch Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Leanwolf, your ode to your love deeply moved me. Please accept my most sincere condolences for your tragic loss, along with my highest respect.
Posted By: kingston Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
I’m so, so sorry.
Posted By: Polecat Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20

Lee
Posted By: watch4bear Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
I'm truly sorry for your loss Pard. Alzheimer's is an unforgiving SOB.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
LW, you certainly have my prayers as I know how hard this was for you to share. If you need anything, anything at all don’t hesitate to contact me.
Doesn’t mater what time, just pick up the phone.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
My condolences prayers sent
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
LW my sincerest condolences. This really leaves a lump in my throat.

I buried my father in Aug with the exact same condition. Mom would ask me to stay over and sleep on the couch when she hadn't any sleep for a number of his "wandering" nights. 3 in the morning, all the lights on and he's eating cake mix, or dry oatmeal, or detergent. I had to take the firing pin out of his Sig for obvious reasons. Mom had to call the deputy more than once. I disconnected the garage door opener, hid his keys, his knives. It wasn't him. He didn't know what he was doing. When he died, it was like he died twice. The first was when he lost his faculties. Mom stayed with him the whole time. 62 years.

You're an honorable man, LW. You were there for her; all the way.

Godspeed.
Posted By: szihn Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
I am so sorry to read this news. May God be with you and may His light be on her now and forever.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
I am very sorry to hear of this. My Grandma went through a similar situation. Being robbed of a loved one, while they are very much alive, is a killer. Alzheimer’s is a disease that is much worse than than even it’s dreadful reputation. Prayers for you, Leanwolf.
Posted By: ElkSlayer91 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Grief is the last act of love we have
to give to those we loved.
Where there is deep grief,
there was great love.

By JB/Blowing Kisses to Heaven

Cherish the memories sir. Your love for her will always be there in your heart, no matter where you are in life.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Oh man, I’m very sorry to hear that, what a tough loss.
Hopefully you have family nearby to help you adjust. Do your best, it’s going to be rough.
Posted By: Hugh Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
No words so sorry , For all of you.
Posted By: joken2 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20

So very sorry to hear of the passing of your beloved wife, Leanwolf.
Posted By: persiandog Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
I am very sorry for your loss.

PD
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Leanwolf: I am so sorry to hear of your wifes passing and of your loss.
I hurt for you.
Stay strong.
And thanks for sharing.
May she rest in peace.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: ElkSlayer91 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
I hope the below can bring you some additional comfort, Leanwolf:

SOMEDAY WE’LL UNDERSTAND

Not now, but in the coming years,
It may be in the better land;
We’ll read the meaning of our tears
And there someday we’ll understand.

We’ll catch the broken thread again
And finish what we here began;
Heaven will the mystery explain,
And then, ah then, we’ll understand.

We’ll know why clouds instead of sun
Were over many a cherished plan’
Why song was ceased when scarce began
‘Tis there someday we’ll understand.

Why what we long for most of all
Eludes so oft our eager hand;
Why hopes are crushed and castles fall,
Up there someday we’ll understand.

God knows the way, He holds the key,
He guides us with unerring hand;
Someday with tearless eyes we’ll see
And there, up there, we’ll understand.

Then trust in God thro’ all thy days,
Fear not for He doth hold they hand;
Tho’ dark thy way, still sing and praise
Someday, someday, we’ll understand.

- Author Unknown
Posted By: Oakster Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
I am very sorry for your loss. Our prayers to you and your family.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
My prayers will be for you and those who loved and cared for your wife.
Posted By: hookeye Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Sorry about the loss and pain.
You both were blessed.
Keep going, heal up as best you can.
Time here is short, she's waiting.
Posted By: 700LH Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
I just saw this and send my deepest felt condolences.
Posted By: olblue Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
So very sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Scotty Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
So sorry to hear of your loss, you are in my prayers.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
My deepest sympathies and condolences LeanWolf…...
Posted By: OMCHamlin Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
I am so sorry to hear this sad news, my condolences on the passing of your beloved wife.
Posted By: 65BR Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
I am so sorry, my deepest condolences and prayers to you and your family, and all who lose their most loved ones.

May God Bless you with peace and comfort during this time. May Kathy Rest in Peace.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Originally Posted by Quak
I’m sorry for your loss. Please stay positive my friend...you will be with her again.

+1 the above statement covered all bases. Sorry for your loss .
Posted By: sactoller Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
My condolences...may she RIP.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Posted By: blindshooter Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Very sorry.
I lost my first wife but she was taken quick.
I still feel like she sits beside me.
Be safe and stay busy, I'm sure she would want you to enjoy life as much as possible.
God bless
Posted By: 19rabbit52 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
As I read over this, I have tears in my eyes. I went thru similar 30 months ago . It never gets better. Just different and you learn to live with it. So sorry for your loss.
Posted By: WhiteFawn Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Losing the partner of a lifetime in such a manner is not much short of torture. About the only solace available is to have faith and hope you can be together again in a better place where no pain and suffering exists.

You were blessed to be able to comfort her in her last days.

One of my best friends is in a nursing home losing his mental awareness to Parkinson's disease at the moment. Due to restrictions because of the corona virus he's lost the consolation of his wife and family when it would be most beneficial to him and also to them.

It's hard to think about how many people are in nursing homes and are in a situation similar to yours and my friends.

As hard as it is to see the daily degradation of a fine and perceptive mind to a condition that has no remedy, I can't imagine being deprived of the privilege of being there to comfort someone who has been a true and faithful friend for years on end.

May The Good Lord bless you with comfort, peace and strength until you can be with her again.
Posted By: Duckhunter Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
So very sorry for your loss.........I can't imaging going thru that with my wife..

Much respect for you sir!
Posted By: BigNate Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
So sorry for your loss.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
LW - just checking in to see how you're doing and offer some encouragement. I am sure that she would want you to continue with a smile, knowing that she loves you. Stay active, find beauty in nature, remember good times. Best, John
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
You did all, more, that a loving husband could do.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Seafire Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
Condolences on your beloved Kathy's passing...

may the Good Lord be with you in your time of pain and loss...

its no easy bridge to cross...

I pray the 43 years you had together comes to dominate your thoughts, instead of her loss...

Peace be with you.
Posted By: kennyd Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
The worst part of dementia is losing a loved one twice. Very sorry for your loss. Stay strong
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: My Great Loss. - 03/25/20
I want to sincerely thank all here and in P.Ms. who posted about my Kathy's death and offered your prayers, sympathies, condolences, positive thoughts, and advice. They are all greatly appreciated and they bring me comfort. I know my wife would have appreciated them also.

As we all know, overwhelming grief and great adversity do not discriminate against any political party, ideology, race or culture: they lurk just around the corner, unseen, but ready to strike unexpectedly and when they do, we must deal with them the best we can. That is what I am doing now, the best I can. I know that others here who also are in the same circumstance, are doing the same.

I thank you again.

L.W.
© 24hourcampfire