Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
About five weeks ago, Kathy, my wonderful wife of 43½ years, died at St. Alphonsus Hospital, here in Boise, of pneumonia and complications from severe Alzheimer's dementia. She had been a resident at a memory care facility for nearly two years. That became necessary as my wife in her dementia was a "wanderer," became delusional, and had very bad hallucinations with which I was unable to cope. Her memory was severely impaired. We had no children so I had to try and take care of her and everything else required in daily life myself. Over a period of time, it became impossible and I reluctantly placed her in a respected local memory care facility in early-May, 2018. I was 81 and Kathy was 72.

I visited her every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, and took her to doctors and dentist appointments. I would call her every day. The care giver would give her the phone so we could talk. Often, my wife did not really know who I was and sometimes she did not know I was her husband when I visited. Nevertheless, every time I visited, she was happy to see me. It was very devastating to watch her wonderful mind deteriorate. I know there are others here who have had to watch their loved ones degenerate in mind and I know how they felt, just as they will know how I felt.

In early February, my wife contracted a cold. It became worse although a doctor at the facility prescribed some medicine. Her cold got worse and she fainted, striking her neck and hip on a chair. The care givers called the paramedics. They called me and said they thought she should go to the hospital. Of course I said to take her and I'd be there in 30 minutes.

When I arrived, Kathy was on a gurney in the Emergency room waiting to go in for X-rays. I tried to comfort her but she was coughing racking, deep lung coughs almost constantly. After X-rays the doctor told me she did not have any bone breaks but a CT scan had shown she had severe pneumonia. He wanted to admit her for treatment and I said to do it. They put her in a room, hooked up IVs, heart and blood pressure monitors, oxygen, etc. Her horrible coughing continued. I was with her from about 12;15 PM until 11:00 PM that night. Because I have macular degeneration, I can not drive at night as the oncoming headlights blind me. The drive home from the hospital that night was "an adventure," I assure you, but I made it safely. For the next seven days, I arrived about 9:30 AM and left about 5:00 PM to get home before dark.

After three days, no matter the doctors' and nurses' extraordinary efforts Kathy's pneumonia continued to get worse. She could not swallow water nor eat solid foods, nor could she walk. She was delirious and did not know what was going on, She was miserable. On the fourth day, her doctor told me "Your wife's prognosis is not good at all." On the eighth day, as I was sitting beside her bed holding her hand, she sighed and that was her last breath.

I managed to contract a bad cold so after my wife's death, I have stayed at home to make sure my cold did not become pneumonia or Covid 19. Fortunately, I seem to be okay now. My neighbors have been very kind to me. They bring me food and pick up groceries when they have to go to the market. I conduct certain legal details by phone, fax, and e-mail.

I am devastated by the death of my wife, the love of my life, my very best friend, and my wonderful companion. Kathy was a Christian, a patriot, loved our country and Constitution, and loved me with all her heart as I loved her.

I have sympathy for all here who have loved ones with dementia or other serious illnesses. Hopefully, someday a dementia cure or preventative will be found. There are none yet.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Holy cow.

Very sorry.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm very sorry to hear of your hard times, Leanwolf.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry about your loss.

Grieving is natural and is the opposite side of the coin called love. Without love there would be no grief.
Don't try to short-circuit the process and recognize it for the beautiful thing that it is.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So sorry for your loss Leanwolf. No one really knows just what to say in a time like this, but my thoughts and prayers are with you.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sorry for your loss Leanwolf. I lost my mom to dementia. It's like losing them over and over.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
very sorry to hear of your loss, praying for comfort at this time

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm very sorry. Having watched loved ones go through similar experience I have the utmost empathy.

Carpe' Scrotum
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You ,sir fulfilled your husband duties to a T. I’m so sorry for your great loss. May your wife Rest In Peace.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
More than I have had to deal with, sympathy, and May Our Lord we with you.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I am so sorry LW!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your love story with us.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Sorry for your loss.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Sorry to hear about your loss Leanwolf.

Souns like you were both lucky to have had one another.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
LW my condolences on your loss.I am seeing the same dementia and Alsheimers in my 89 year old mother. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My deepest condolences LW.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Oh man. I am so sorry.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
LW--sorry for your loss, your wife sounds like an amazing person.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
May she rest in peace. Memories you still have all of those wonderful memories.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tough read, I cannot imagine your pain and loss

Try to keep yourself physically healthy while all this other sickness is going around.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,837
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.