Home
Posted By: kennyd General Motors ventilators - 03/28/20
How long does it take to change over? And what plants do they have suitable? How many mexican parts needed?
I could understand switching to trucks or personnel carriers.

Would it be better to get maytag or such to switch?

Reminds me if the boss wanting some sheetmetal parts; I had a bridgeport and engine lathe but no brake or such, or any sheet, all there was bar stock
We'll need another 2 trillion stimulus to carry out the plan to save lives.
Tesla already delivering them several days ago...
Obama Motors is a company that should have been allowed to die.
Doesn't matter. The ventilator tranny will crap out right after the warranty expires.
Posted By: duck911 Re: General Motors ventilators - 03/28/20
[bleep] GM.
What's the big obsession with ventilators? By the time somebody with this virus gets seriously ill enough to need to go on a vent, they're just prolonging the inevitable.
Jerry
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Doesn't matter. The ventilator tranny will crap out right after the warranty expires.

Heh, ventilated trannys
My crankcase got a vent, same with my diff.
Tranny don't even have a dipstick these days..
I would not want to get one because it would have a recall on it.
Chevy runs deep
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Tesla already delivering them several days ago...

He bought them, didn't manufacture em...
It’s a mistake to look at just these behemoths. They should be looking to smaller nimble aggressive companies.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...y-makes-masks-for-doctors-and-nurses.amp
Posted By: hookeye Re: General Motors ventilators - 03/28/20
Ever heard of Delco Electronics?
They were part of GM and then got spun into Delphi.
World headquarters, Kokomo Indiana.

Delco had development and testing on site, wafer fabs (way back used to grown own crystals too).
Seriously a world class badass.

They used to do their own stamping and plastic molding too.
From module housings to packaged devices.

It aint a friggin' vehicle assembly plant.
They did FR4 stuff, radio lines, Tech 2000, side impact sensors, fuel vapor sensors, Harley and Marine EFI, GM transmission and brake controllers, ECMs and Harley Davidson controllers.
Much if it ceramic.

Was a booming place for a long while.
So please tell me how having a major electronics maker, that had proto and development labs plus assembly areas.........is a mistake.
If they can't build it, seriously, nobody can.
Originally Posted by hookeye

Delco had development and testing on site, wafer fabs (way back used to grown own crystals too).

They did FR4 stuff, radio lines, Tech 2000, side impact sensors, fuel vapor sensors, Harley and Marine EFI, GM transmission and brake controllers, ECMs and Harley Davidson controllers.
Much if it ceramic.

And now it's a powdered milk plant.
LOL, Delphi built some new lab space south of the road.
They separated from GM, literally.

There is a Proto Lab at a northern location (since Plant 9 abandoned).
The old main plants and Fabs are pretty much idle.
Think condensed to Plant 8.

Think maybe 500 people work for GM there now.
Used to be thousands.

I know of at least two multi million dollar cleanroom type electronic assembly areas mothballed.
Did any one ever say what the cure rate of being on a ventilator causes?

I smell a ratt.

Definition of insanity.......trying the same thing over and over, and expecting different results.

Just braying.
This all sounds good, but really won't employ that many people.
Maybe use people they have or call back some they let go on contract.
Once done they'll proly shut the medical group down.
LOL, Delphi built some new lab space south of the road.
They separated from GM, literally.
There is a Proto Lab at a norther location.
But the Plant 7,8,9 and Fabs are idle.
Think maybe 500 people work for GM there now.
Used to be thousands.

This is where they should be building ventilators. You're absolutely right.

MAGA
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Did any one ever say what the cure rate of being on a ventilator causes?

I smell a ratt.

Definition of insanity.......trying the same thing over and over, and expecting different results.

Just braying.

The press has and the front lines have been calling for ventilators for weeks. Give it to them.
Trivia question- - - - what is DELCO an anagram for?
At worst case it's great PR.

Shame what they did to Delco.

GM spun them off into the scam which is/was Delphi.
With all the testing and development, Delco had a lot of costs.........and still was the ONLT double digit profit maker of the groups spun into Delphi.

Cash cow.

They took the meat off the bone to try and fatten it up, nobody bought into it.
And Geithner protected the hourly pensions, but fugged the salaried (still being fought in court).

If they'd have left em alone they'd proly still be decent sized.

DELCO

Dayton Engineering Laboratories Co.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delco_Electronics

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That green spot on the right now has Delphis new labs and power plant.
Millwright I know says he was declared essential and report to work, so he and his buds proly clearing a spot /moving in equipment.

Think N of Lincoln rd is GM, south of it is Delphi, which is now Borgwarner

https://www.borgwarner.com/newsroom...strengthen-propulsion-systems-leadership

Now Delphi is called Aptiv?

Name changes, eh, they just fire/lay off more.
This all sounds good, but really won't employ that many people.
Maybe use people they have or call back some they let go on contract.
Once done they'll proly shut the medical group down.

You know how the press is, I read that they have volunteers ready to go.

Also read that the first set of castings have been made, they were supposed to be machined last night, be ready to go for assembly this morning.
In WW2, it took GM about a year to start producing FM1 Wildcats and TBM Avengers as the Eastern Aircraft Division of GM. Eastern eventually built more Avengers than Grumman did.,
Just wait until they recall the first 100,000 of them for bad ignition interlocks.
No worries, they will offer an extended warranty. That's where they really make their money.
I'm curious to know if they're going to manufacture the extra doctors and nurses to run the tens of thousands of new ventilators.
Originally Posted by WhiteFawn
I'm curious to know if they're going to manufacture the extra doctors and nurses to run the tens of thousands of new ventilators.

..........Not to worry........... I'm sure there's an app for that, right?
Posted By: djs Re: General Motors ventilators - 03/28/20

Much if it ceramic.

Excellent response. I worked with GM on a number of electronic products in the 1970-1998 era; I was very impressed with their capabilities, both intellectual and manufacturing. the people I worked with are now gone, but the capabilities are still there.
Wow, tuff crowd...

All ya'all are gonna get the vega model. AND ifin ya keep it up there's a corvair model on the drawing board... grin
I hope the ventilators produced by General Motors are better than the vehicles they produce.
So we're back to the age old question; gas or delis?
Yep, there will be two models, based on social status...

The corvair-ilator....for the low life, working-class electorate.

The corvette-ilator for the ruling class.
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Yep, there will be two models, based on social status...

The corvair-ilator....for the low life, working-class electorate.

The corvette-ilator for the ruling class.

Cadillac-ilator...

Corvette-ilator is in the performance parts catalog.
Liberal chit rag of a paper in that town says 1000 called back to work (laid off).
Dunno if that 1000 hourly (trades, operators and techs) or inclusive of salaried (engineers).
Know more if they get it going.

Originally Posted by djs

Much if it ceramic.

Excellent response. I worked with GM on a number of electronic products in the 1970-1998 era; I was very impressed with their capabilities, both intellectual and manufacturing. the people I worked with are now gone, but the capabilities are still there.

I worked there for 20 years in advanced development and production.
There was a LOT of talent there, that was p*ssed away.
Seriously, it's a friggin shame.

Liberal chit rag of a paper in that town says 1000 called back to work (laid off).
Dunno if that 1000 hourly (trades, operators and techs) or inclusive of salaried (engineers).
Know more if they get it going.

Numbers I saw was aprox 240 for production, another 112 for salary. Trades are there setting up the site for assembly. I thought I read that they are unpaid volunteers, don't quote me on that. I was going in 20 different directions at the same time yesterday, brain is overtaxed. grin
Article from liberal rag of the burg

https://www.kokomotribune.com/news/...6165db2-7062-11ea-889e-abc4f7bf48e5.html

From the Detroit News
Posted By: bh444 Re: General Motors ventilators - 03/28/20
Originally Posted by plainsman456

+!
Posted By: kid0917 Re: General Motors ventilators - 03/28/20
Originally Posted by bh444
Originally Posted by plainsman456

+!

If it had any LED lights, no doubt one or more would be not working right from the box, lol
Posted By: jwall Re: General Motors ventilators - 03/28/20
Why did it take so much pressure for GM to get IN the game ?

More UNimpressive to me.
Like a Rock
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

No thats pretty funny!
Elon Musk has a car factory in China. They were probably already making ventilators, so he got some from his Chinese company while his American factory retools to make them. Tesla already has the most efficient heat pump (to heat and cool their cars) ever made that does not need strip heat in winter. Converting these to ventilator manufacturing shouldn't be too hard. Also this same equipment is being used on their Dragon space capsule that will be used to take astronauts to the ISS in May. General Motor's woman CEO is a raving liberal who hates Trump so she didn't want to make ventilators without some big government subsidy. So Trump made them make the ventilators using the War Powers Act. No subsidy. Trump is also mad at them for closing down a factory in Ohio and moving to Mexico.
Posted By: ribka Re: General Motors ventilators - 03/28/20

So GM produced quality products in the 70's and 80's?

There are many article documenting the incredible lack of quality control during that time and that is why the Japanese kicked their butts. I read that union GM auto workers, often drunk and high, would purposefully do a crappy job in assembly so the cars would be sent back so they could make OT.

remember when GM took the big tax payer funded bailout under Obama and screwed its share holders??

Having to force GM to do this after taking the tax payer funded bailout is shameful.

Originally Posted by djs

Much if it ceramic.

only had one gm, 70 1/2 rally sport camaro. mopars every since.
Too big to fail
Originally Posted by Richdeerhunter
In WW2, it took GM about a year to start producing FM1 Wildcats and TBM Avengers as the Eastern Aircraft Division of GM. Eastern eventually built more Avengers than Grumman did.,

GM also owned Allison, the engine maker for PT boats, and the P-38s, P-39s, P-40s, and P51s.
Posted By: EdM Re: General Motors ventilators - 03/28/20
Originally Posted by stxhunter
only had one gm, 70 1/2 rally sport camaro. mopars every since.

My cousin bought a 70 1/2 Z28 when they came out. Hell of a car. That LT1 was pretty strong.
Posted By: JOG Re: General Motors ventilators - 03/28/20
Originally Posted by smokepole
No worries, they will offer an extended warranty. That's where they really make their money.

'There's something wrong with that ventilator.'

'Yeah, there's a dead guy in it.'
Electronics manufacture, you can run some pretty wicked tests. hell of a screening process.
IIRC 95+% of the stuff that came back for check was found to be fine.
Car came in with an issue, dealers made silly money off shotgun approach (just swap a few parts all at once).

Testing, isn't just pass/fail. They look for issues that could come up later. Pretty fine toothed comb.

When stuff was bad, and caught in house............usually it was a supplier part or equipment issue that F'd em.
Delco used to have a team of engineers that went to suppliers and helped them get their acts together.

Caught a few that lied about their processes and testing too. Sunsabitches.
Electronics manufacture, you can run some pretty wicked tests. hell of a screening process.
Car came in with an issue, dealers made silly money off shotgun approach (just swap a few parts all at once).

Testing, isn't just pass/fail. They look for issues that could come up later. Pretty fine toothed comb.

When stuff was bad, and caught in house............usually it was a supplier part or equipment issue that F'd em.
Delco used to have a team of engineers that went to suppliers and helped them get their acts together.

This doesn't explain why GM can't make a passenger window switch for a P/U truck that lasts more than 23 months.
I never worked at an auto assembly plant.

Just electronics.
Nobody I knew Fd up product on purpose.
A few rednecks might kill a machine to stop production, to force weekend overtime.

Production output, no damage to product. Nobody wanted junk out.

They had a suggestion system, that if you helped quality or production, you could make extra.
Can't remember if max payout per suggestion was 10K or 20K.
Of course sometime later they reduced the payout amounts and eventually changed the whole suggestion system.
Originally Posted by kingston

This doesn't explain why GM can't make a passenger window switch for a P/U truck that lasts more than 23 months.

Ummmm, GM doesn't make the switch. They probably don't even design it.
Posted By: ribka Re: General Motors ventilators - 03/28/20
Or a transmission that doesn't crap out after 30000 miles

Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Oh boy...
Also, if somebody screwed up it wasn't taken lightly.
Saw people fired (and no they didn't come back).

As for the fuggups that were returned to work, gotta understand that wasn't for free.

It costs the reg membership to get back a loser. And they knew it.
I dunno where GM gets wiring harnesses from.
Since they world source, who knows.
Posted By: mudstud Re: General Motors ventilators - 03/28/20

Horseshit! I've never had any GM switch go out in 30 years, at least! Jayzus, where does this crap come from.
Posted By: mudstud Re: General Motors ventilators - 03/28/20
Originally Posted by ribka
Or a transmission that doesn't crap out after 30000 miles

Yet again, more horse hockey.
Is it the switch or a pinched harness in the door (broken wire from door to body area)?

My Jeep GC from 94 did that after 20 yrs. I just got another from the junkyard for $15.
New replacement was of very limited stock, wanted 150. Fugg that.

Posted By: rong Re: General Motors ventilators - 03/28/20
Now we will be getting calls to buy this extended warranty
"one more time before they remove you from our list"
I never worked at an auto assembly plant.

Just electronics.
Nobody I knew Fd up product on purpose.
A few rednecks might kill a machine to stop production, to force weekend overtime.

Production output, no damage to product. Nobody wanted junk out.

They had a suggestion system, that if you helped quality or production, you could make extra.
Can't remember if max payout per suggestion was 10K or 20K.
Of course sometime later they reduced the payout amounts and eventually changed the whole suggestion system.

They changed the system, the max award was still 20k. There was a committee that would evaluate your suggestion, the formula to calculate the award was more complex. They needed firm numbers on the cost to implement the suggestion and the cost savings over a year's time. Some awards were required to run for the full year. I couldn't use the value of lost product due to down time as part of the savings.
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Oh boy...

That was part of the Spaniard's major cost savings that he taught GM. Part suppliers were given the specs for a part, the supplier was required to design the part, securing the tooling and materials to produce the part.
© 24hourcampfire