Home
Posted By: dale06 Towing or trailering a car - 04/05/20

I may rent a trailer to move a corvette 1100 miles. The tow vehicle would be a 1/2 ton silverado.
What issues do I need to consider. Have not done this before.
Thanks
Posted By: tater74 Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/05/20
Hire someone to move it. Fly one way and drive it back.
Seriously, your pickup will pull it but your brakes may not stop it. If it runs I would just drive it.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/05/20
Those are options, but was trying to avoid flying, the virus thing.
have a deckover trailer if you want to be able to open the doors
Posted By: Lennie Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/05/20
Contact a couple of the companies who haul vehicles for new/used car dealers. A local used car dealer should be able to put into contact with one of the smaller transport outfits. I note you are from Colorado, I believe there is a Dealer auction located there....you might also contact them for a transport company.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/05/20
Go to uhaul rent a car trailer with surge brakes and head home! It's that simple! Check before going on the price of ,rent there and drop at your home town, vs, rent at home and return at home. That may save some dollars.
Go into the manual or spec sheet for your truck and figure out what it can tow. Figure out what the car weighs and if that plus the trailer weight is within your truck's spec you're good. You're going to need a trailer with brakes is your truck plumbed for that?
Does your pickup have a tow package, including a trailer brake control? If so, it should tow and stop OK. There's no substitute for years of trailer towing experience, though, and there's no way to get a crash course in all the little tricks you learn that way. Slow and steady is the key to trailering and anticipating stops is crucial to safe towing. I'd strongly recommend finding an enclosed trailer to rent if possible. One rock thrown up by a passing vehicle through a windshield will make that an expensive trip.
Jerry
I have done it a couple of times. Not a Corvette, similar size. Uhaul, Penske etc will rent a trailer, but if you want to do a one way it will be much more expensive. I actually hauled the empty trailer back 1500 miles as the truck had to come back anyway. I would suggest a full trailer (car off the ground) I would also check what a commercial shipper might charge. Sometimes they can be cheaper if they are going your direction and or empty heading towards your direction
The rental trailers have a surge brake so you will not need an electronic brake controller. Just don't try and back up a hill...
Posted By: tater74 Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/05/20
Take a friend with you to drive one of them
It probably won't be a whole lot more expensive.
Originally Posted by smithrjd
The rental trailers have a surge brake so you will not need an electronic brake controller. Just don't try and back up a hill...

Only if you dont read the instructions. Surge brakes have a disconnect, to enable backing up!
A Uhaul I had did not.. Put the pickup in 4 low and shoved it up the driveway.
Surge brakes are for rookies- - - -I like to be able to control trailer braking, especially in a sway or fishtail situation.
Jerry
Can you rent Or borrow an Avalanche? They’re teeming with power and towing capability. Especially in the mountains.
Most rentals expressly don’t come with tow hitches.
Originally Posted by dale06

I may rent a trailer to move a corvette 1100 miles. The tow vehicle would be a 1/2 ton silverado.
Thanks

Where is the car coming from and going to?
Originally Posted by tater74

Best idea yet!
Posted By: hanco Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/05/20
Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by tater74

Best idea yet!

It would be safer!
You need an enclosed trailer or a race car trailer, with a wind deflector across the “whole” front, or you’ll destroy the front of your vette from rocks/road debris kicking up from the tow vehicle with it being so close to the vette being towed.

Call around for transport delivery quotes. With the economy crashed, those guys will be cutting each others throat to get the business. You might just get a steal of a deal, one that would equal your gas bill alone.
1) Call and get a quote from a hot shot hauler to haul it for you. Maybe not cheap. But easiest, lowest risk option.
2) Take a buddy on a road trip and drive it back...
If you tow it, at the very least put good mud flaps on the pickup. There are big wide ones that attach to the hitch that look like they can stop a lot of rocks from the road.
Posted By: ERK Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/05/20
Lord almighty. It’s a car on a trailer people. You put the trailer on the pickup hitch then load the car and drive home. Ed k
Posted By: JeffA Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/05/20

Thanks

I've got a car trailer as well as a stock truck I've used to move some cars around.
A half ton truck wouldn't be my first choice but it probably wouldn't stop me if it's all I had.

I've rented enclosed moving type trucks and loaded cars into them off racks at tire shops and the like where I could back up to their lifts.
Some have charged me a small fee, others never bothered, pretty simple task.

22 footers work pretty well but you may have to get creative with your tie downs.

Right off the top you gotta figure it'd be saving you 2200 miles of wear and tear on your personal truck.

I wouldn't be completely against flying one way, depending on your departure and destination locations a lot of flight are damn near empty. Flying on a plane with a half dozen others wouldn't create much of a true risk..

You can look online at the flight seating options and see how booked related flights might be.
Grab the cheapest flight to any airport near where the Vet is sitting and rent a truck from there could pencil out to some savings on the rental truck.

A little phone work to get a rental truck and lift waiting for you at your destination might turn into being quicker and less expensive than you'd think.

Keep us posted as to how you end up doing it, pics are golden.....
Posted By: bobinpa Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/05/20

Thanks

I don't know which corvette you have but it should be 3500 lbs or less. Add an enclosed trailer and you are still well under 7000 lbs. Your 1/2 ton should be fine. You will need brakes though, so if your truck doesn't have it, add a brake controller. Inexpensive and easy to install. Newer trucks are even easier, because the brake controller company may also provide a wiring harness that connects under the dash. Once you get that done and get your hands on the trailer, take a practice run of 20 - 30 miles. Towing a trailer is no big deal if you just use some common sense. I definitely would not put my corvette on an open trailer. If you hit sloppy weather, the blow back from the tow vehicle would likely do damage. It would be like tailgating someone on the highway for 1100 miles. Bad idea if you like the paint job!
https://www.uship.com/
If your truck want tow less than 5000 lbs. your need another truck. Brakes are needed. Hasbeen
Posted By: horse1 Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/05/20
Most newer pickups, even 1/2Tn have electric trailer brake controllers built in. If you have a round 7-pin plug near your receiver hitch, you've got a trailer brake controller.

1st best idea would be a ~20' enclosed trailer to offer the 'Vette the best protection from rock-chips etc.

If for whatever reason the enclosed trailer is not feasible then my next choice would be a deckover and one of these: http://towtector.com

The deckover will probably cost you a little MPG, but, it gets the car up and over most of the "stuff" your tow vehicle throws. Toss on the TowTector (or similar, there's lots of them) and your only real danger to the 'Vette on the trailer is stuff thrown up by other vehicles.

Use the Tow/Haul button on the end of your gear-select lever. Should be able to run ~70MPH on flat ground with the cruise set. If you notice lots of shifting, slow down in ~5MPH increments until you hold a gear. Expect (and anticipate) the transmission down-shifting on even mild inclines.

Use your common sense when you get to the mountains. There's no shame in running the shoulder @ 45MPH with your flashers on if that's what it takes to be safe.

I wouldn't choose a 1/2Tn pickup to do that job every day. I wouldn't shy away from towing that 'Vette once with a 1/2Tn pickup either.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/05/20

This is one of those things that no one should ever do unless they have already done it a minimum of 100 times - sort of like a long-ago thread on the 'fire where the idea was that no one should be allowed to post on the 'fire until he had a minimum of 1,000 posts or something like that.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/05/20
Go see a local expert that rents trailers don't come here, good grief
Originally Posted by ERK
Lord almighty. It’s a car on a trailer people. You put the trailer on the pickup hitch then load the car and drive home. Ed k

Have you seen the drill bit thread?????
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by ERK

Have you seen the drill bit thread?????

That thread should really be moved to the Hunting Optics forum.
Originally Posted by ERK

I said that same thing, soon after the OP first post! Some things are just simple, people make them hard!
Originally Posted by 5sdad

This is one of those things that no one should ever do unless they have already done it a minimum of 100 times - sort of like a long-ago thread on the 'fire where the idea was that no one should be allowed to post on the 'fire until he had a minimum of 1,000 posts or something like that.

How do you get to 100 times without doing it the first time?
Posted By: dale06 Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/05/20

Thanks for responses.
A friend just suggested as did others, have it moved.
I figured cost of trailer plus at least one night in a hotel in route would be $7-800 at least.
Hiring a mover, $849 in an open trailer, or $1119 in an enclosed trailer. These are “total” cost.
I’m going to hire it moved.
Posted By: Dre Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/05/20
849 for someone else to do it who has the experience and proper equipment?
Or 700-800 and you have to do everything and no idea what you’re doing. More abuse on your truck or you get to stay home or work for 2 days instead of being on the road?
Pretty easy if you ask me .
Posted By: CCCC Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/05/20
You've seen a bunch of good suggestions here, from some experienced folks. I've trailered quite a few old trucks all over the west and even driven 45 year-old vehicles 1500 miles to home - proper prep and equipment make it work.

Didn't notice info about the route, types of roadway and terrain, but if your truck specs/equipment say it is up to the task, one of the suggested trailers/sources will enable a good result. Generally flat landscape and super highways make such a task much easier and safer - back roads more of a challenge - and mountainous country worth some serious caution. Of course, when trailering, your own driving is the biggest determinant.
Hire these guys

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/05/20

Thanks

I hauled a 'vette from Reno, NV to Louisiana years ago. using my 2000 1/2 ton 4 WD Silverado, 327 engine. No strain no pain. used the U-Haul car trailer, no problems. don't over think it. trailer had surge brakes, IIRC.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/05/20
Originally Posted by bobinpa

rofl, you have to CHEAT.
smile
As usual, this is being way over-engineered. Just rent a trailer and if it doesn't have some kind of rock guard across the front, put a set of substantial flaps on the hitch of your pickup.
Electric brakes are better than surge brakes but a U-haul will have surges and they'll do the job.
[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]
Originally Posted by bobinpa

It was supposed to be a jab at the people who think that everyone should be an expert, but have no patience with people who are learning. Re: backing a trailer.
If you're driving, take camping gear and food in case you get stuck in some place where everything is shut down.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/05/20
No disrespect to the OP, but if I needed to move my expensive Corvette across the country and had never towed a trailer before, I would just get someone to move it for me, or figure out some way to drive it.
This^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^

You can get a car hauled across the US by truck for about $350.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/05/20
Originally Posted by jnyork
No disrespect to the OP, but if I needed to move my expensive Corvette across the country and had never towed a trailer before, I would just get someone to move it for me, or figure out some way to drive it.
Good perspective. But, then, depending on year/model. some Corvettes are not very expensive by comparison.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/05/20
Christ get a trailer, hook it to your truck, load the car on it, strap said car down so it don't fall off, Put truck in drive and go. Even a 1/2 chevy will be able to handle this load. Trailer brakes would be nice but if you have half a brain you can get by with just the truck brakes. Drive cautious in busy areas. You will be fine.
He needs trailer brakes to be legal in any state. State laws vary but this load will require them anywhere. He also needs them to be safe. Pulling that much weight at highway speeds without them would be stupid.
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
This^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^

You can get a car hauled across the US by truck for about $350.

I hate to disagree, but it's been my experience that it cost approx $1.00 a mile and an enclosed trailer adds 30% - 50%
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
Christ get a trailer, hook it to your truck, load the car on it, strap said car down so it don't fall off, Put truck in drive and go. Even a 1/2 chevy will be able to handle this load. Trailer brakes would be nice but if you have half a brain you can get by with just the truck brakes. Drive cautious in busy areas. You will be fine.

We really need a like button......
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
He needs trailer brakes to be legal in any state. State laws vary but this load will require them anywhere. He also needs them to be safe. Pulling that much weight at highway speeds without them would be stupid.

Laws? Safety?
Posted By: CCCC Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/06/20
I pretty much like this attitude and advice - except that portion regarding trailer brakes. With this much load, safety can be a serious issue without those = on a steep downhill run, in strong windy conditions and when suddenly confronted with events out front and the need to stop/control very quickly. Drive smart and safe - have a good trip.
Those are options, but was trying to avoid flying, the virus thing.

Flights are like $12 bucks now...
And airplanes are cleaner than grocery stores..
I bet car hauling is even cheaper. .
Posted By: kennyd Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/06/20
I tried to rent a car trailer for a f150. No go. had to be a 250 or more.
Which route? 45 on eisenhouer is a pucker trip coming in from Kansas not so, or iowa or texas.
A corvette club or scca guy may know of the experienced insured guys who move sports cars and classics

Or hitchhike and drive back 😁
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/06/20
Originally Posted by CCCC
I pretty much like this attitude and advice - except that portion regarding trailer brakes. With this much load, safety can be a serious issue without those = on a steep downhill run, in strong windy conditions and when suddenly confronted with events out front and the need to stop/control very quickly. Drive smart and safe - have a good trip.

This
Posted By: Redneck Re: Towing or trailering a car - 04/06/20

Thanks

With a proper flatbed double-axle car-hauler trailer, you won't have a care.. Total weight might be in the 5K# range and your truck can handle that with aplomb... If the trailer is a covered model, then I would suggest at least an anti-sway hitch - depending on the length - because wind can then be another factor. You WILL need to have a brake controller since that trailer will have electric brakes.. Newer vehicles have those built in, but if yours is lacking you'll have to have one installed.. Before my trucks had the factory stuff I had installed a P3 from Techonsha... Slick unit, that...
Had my F250 hauled to Houston from Amarillo for $500 in 2016. Once the truck was loaded I flew home, sat in my rocker & waited for a call. Effortless for me.

There are carriers out there that are quite affordable.
© 24hourcampfire