Home
Posted By: pahick Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
If your sick, possibly with Covid, dont come to work! Had one stupid SOB have symptoms, didnt tell anyone, came to work. Things started getting worse so he went to the docs, doc said time to get tested due to severity of symptoms. The mfer still came to work and didnt tell anyone! Got results in 2 days, positive. Shut down 2 lines in one building, a line in another building this person was also in. Sent home everyone with close contact. Secondary contact individuals still working but freaking the hell out! Lines sanitized and reopened. A day later we got the call. One of employees in contact that was sent home took a turn for the worse overnight(high risk group). Now in ICU.

If it was up to me the original employee infected would be terminated for putting everyone else in danger. But thats not my call. This schit isnt anything to mess around with. We can all be safe, but damn it if some just dont give a schit about anyone else.
Posted By: jimy Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Channellock ?
Posted By: kelbro Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Is the company paying them to be off, without using their sick time/PTO?

If not, I expected to hear this. Folks need that paycheck and will still come to work not feeling well. If they find out they have the bug, it's too late.

We'll hear more of these. People in our facility need those paychecks for their family and don't give a crap about anyone else they work with.

That behavior will unfortunately continue until there's a vaccine. Especially with high unemployment and many places not re-opening. Folks are going to do whatever it takes to hang on to their jobs because it will be an employer's market. The employers will be able to get good folks cheap.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
At some point, when we have people INTENTIONALLY hide an illness and infect other people, I would be O.K. with criminal charges being filed... At a minimum negligent man slaughter ?

I had C19 symptoms during the second half of December before it was formally identified in the U.S. At the time Doc said "Flu" even though I swabbed negative for both "A" and "B". Spent two weeks either working remote or non-paid time off. Did not go into the office. When I cleared up and returned to the office in early Jan, it was like a commercial where the dogs are barking out a tune. 50-60 people in one large room. Multiple people continuously coughing, hacking, sneezing. No one willing to suck it up and go home until they got over it. And none of the management staff willing to confront the offenders and send them home...
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Years ago a lot of companies around here did not grant sick leave for hourly workers. A lot of hourly workers came to work when they should have stayed home. Don't know how it is now.
Posted By: Fullfan Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Originally Posted by jimy
Channellock ?

Place is a [bleep] hole, worked there after I got out of the military. Only Good thing was the summer help, all the foreman's daughters worked midnight shift. And so did I
Posted By: Showdog75 Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
For how long have hourly employees been going to work sick? For as long as they don't have sick leave. If I were to show symptoms I would get laid off. I can make 4k a week or $561 Pennsylvania unemployment so with that said I've worked sick many times. The problem lies with cheap ass employers that only care about the bottom line and not there employees well being. Now is the time for a cultural shift in our thinking or many many more will die. I'd rather pay one employee like he or she was at work verses them risking infecting the whole plant. To my knowledge going to work sick hasn't been a crime it has been expected in our society.
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
My employer has paid sick leave and fu kers still come to work sick, hacking, coughing, sniffling.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
My employer has paid sick leave and fu kers still come to work sick, hacking, coughing, sniffling.

No excuse for that bullshit.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
dang..... 4K a week?
that adds up!
lol, I think my doctor makes close to that.
Posted By: deflave Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
If they're not paying for time off you're going to have sick people going into work.

It's always been this way, and it always will be. Corona ain't gonna change that.
Originally Posted by kid0917
dang..... 4K a week?
that adds up!

Probably a stripper.
Posted By: Hookset Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Are any of you suggesting that employers should offer unlimited, paid sick leave? If so, how do you think that would work out?
Posted By: passport Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Show me a company where people with obvious symptoms can not only show up to work but ACTUALLY work and I’ll show you an employer who’s not in touch with his employees.....

Stupid of the guy yes but an employer has the Responsibility to monitor for such things as well. Moreover get to know your employees and understand what they need and want, clearly have a guy that’s hard up here
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Workman Comp?
dang..... 4K a week?
that adds up!

Yeah but I usually only work about 6 months a year.
PS: If I were a stripper I'd be BROKE... Lol
Originally Posted by Hookset
Are any of you suggesting that employers should offer unlimited, paid sick leave? If so, how do you think that would work out?

I'm not suggesting anything.

But hope is not a plan.
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
dang..... 4K a week?
that adds up!

Damn, I'm in the wrong line of work. Over 200k per year? Someone paying factory workers 4k per week doesn't sound cheap to me.
Posted By: kelbro Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Even then, I've worked places where using your sick leave was counted heavily against you.

I don't know the answer.

I'm concerned that employees will soon have to prove that they are not sick to go to work. That's what my guys in China have to do now. Doctor pass on their cellphone before the could get on the train and into my suppliers' factories.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
My company had very generous sick leave, but they whined and moaned so much when it was used, and also held it over your head in your evaluation, that many were afraid to use it. Not me; I didn't use it as extra vacation time like some, but if I was sick, I stayed home.

My neighbor works for the Feds, and one of his co-workers was talking about how he and his wife were keeping tabs on their temperatures. Turns out they had been to some event in a big city and were worried that they might have caught the bug. Soon after, both were down with it, after exposing a bunch of others, even though it's long been clear that you can spread it before you feel it yourself. Morons.
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
dang..... 4K a week?
that adds up!

Damn, I'm in the wrong line of work. Over 200k per year? Someone paying factory workers 4k per week doesn't sound cheap to me.

Not a factory worker Bo. I work mainly in the nuclear industry some oil refinery work. Specialty welding
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Originally Posted by Showdog75
For how long have hourly employees been going to work sick? For as long as they don't have sick leave. If I were to show symptoms I would get laid off. I can make 4k a week or $561 Pennsylvania unemployment so with that said I've worked sick many times. The problem lies with cheap ass employers that only care about the bottom line and not there employees well being. Now is the time for a cultural shift in our thinking or many many more will die. I'd rather pay one employee like he or she was at work verses them risking infecting the whole plant. To my knowledge going to work sick hasn't been a crime it has been expected in our society.

Anyone making $4 a week should be able to afford to stay home a week. Seems more than the employer is worried about the bottom line.
Money isnt everything.
dang..... 4K a week?
that adds up!

Not a factory worker Bo. I work mainly in the nuclear industry some oil refinery work. Specialty welding

Now I see you work only half a year.

Still...
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
dang..... 4K a week?
that adds up!

For those not in touch with the industry, nuclear-qualified weldors can pretty much write their own ticket. Keep in mind too, in many cases, you're a contractor, not an employee. All you get is the money.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
The first positive case that we get, we are shutting the place down for 2 weeks.

(Or so they tell us)

I have an employee that got sick in December and stayed home for a week. She's had a dry cough ever since. She never had a fever though. Weird stuff.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Anyone making $4 a week should be able to afford to stay home a week. Seems more than the employer is worried about the bottom line.
Money isnt everything.

That's a lot of assuming.

Hope is not a plan.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
My neighbor works for the Feds, and one of his co-workers was talking about how he and his wife were keeping tabs on their temperatures. Turns out they had been to some event in a big city and were worried that they might have caught the bug. Soon after, both were down with it, after exposing a bunch of others, even though it's long been clear that you can spread it before you feel it yourself. Morons.

If their employer snapped their fingers and told them to stay home with pay they never would have came to work.

If it's serious, they'd do it. It's not, so they don't.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
I think this is partially responsible for shutting down the economy. Knowing people who are sick won't take the initiative and stay home plus the fact you can be infectious for two weeks before showing symptoms. If people were more responsible this might not have been neccessary.
Originally Posted by 45_100
I think this is partially responsible for shutting down the economy. Knowing people who are sick won't take the initiative and stay home plus the fact you can be infectious for two weeks before showing symptoms. If people were more responsible this might not have been neccessary.

Yeah. Shut it all down.

Except those planes headed for spring break. We'll just hope the 19 year olds with erections exercise caution.
Posted By: dassa Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
You guys do realize he was already spreading the virus even before he showed any symptoms, right?
Posted By: ERK Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Hey it’s a free country. People are allowed to be dumbasses if they want to. It’s been demonstrated many times here on the fire. Ed k
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
No personal responsibility?
Originally Posted by dassa
You guys do realize he was already spreading the virus even before he showed any symptoms, right?

And probably other people have it and are releasing their weaponized farts all over the break room?
Originally Posted by 280shooter
No personal responsibility?

What's that?
Originally Posted by deflave

Money isnt everything.

That's a lot of assuming.

Hope is not a plan.

Hahaha. Too late out hunting last night and before coffee this morning.

Yeah, make that $4000 a week. grin
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
A deacon with knowledge of a stripper's income, very interesting.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Originally Posted by gunswizard

Maybe he tithes in more than one house of worship... smile

So he may as well give it to those who dodged it?
Originally Posted by gunswizard

Do you remember the story of Mary Magdalene?

You godless fugk.
Posted By: kingston Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20

Marriage
Posted By: kingston Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20

Offspring
Posted By: bobinpa Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
It's easy to bash a company for not having sick leave but if you look at it from the other side...EVERYONE would abuse the paid sick leave. A lot of people would be sick the week of Christmas, The week of Thanksgiving, the week they were going to go on vacation, the first week of deer season etc.... So then the company would have to put restrictions on it or some guild lines, which is more for the company to do so they can give employees more paid time off. If you are making a good living and can't afford a few days or a week off then change the way you spend what you make.
Originally Posted by bobinpa
It's easy to bash a company for not having sick leave but if you look at it from the other side...EVERYONE would abuse the paid sick leave. A lot of people would be sick the week of Christmas, The week of Thanksgiving, the week they were going to go on vacation, the first week of deer season etc.... So then the company would have to put restrictions on it or some guild lines, which is more for the company to do so they can give employees more paid time off. If you are making a good living and can't afford a few days or a week off then change the way you spend what you make.

Good luck with that.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Originally Posted by pahick
Now in ICU.

If it was up to me the original employee infected would be terminated for putting everyone else in danger.

Not only that he should have charges pressed against him and sued by those that he fuqked over.

But if you have a decent sick leave policy, it makes it easier to send people home with pay. Besides, that's why everyone should have an emergency fund. If you can't get by without two weeks with no pay, you need to reevaluate the way that you live.
Posted By: bobinpa Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Originally Posted by UPhiker

But if you have a decent sick leave policy, it makes it easier to send people home with pay. Besides, that's why everyone should have an emergency fund. If you can't get by without two weeks with no pay, you need to reevaluate the way that you live.

I'm not against paid sick leave.... I'm just saying that most people abuse benefits, which leads to more companies not providing them.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Most companies I have worked for offer you six days a year. That’s not going to cover COVID.
I would think during these times, Disability would pay off, that’s 80% of your pay.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
I can't fault someone who's wanting to work. Healthy people seem to shake the China flu off like any other strain of flu. This is just more of the pussifacation of the US of A. My dad said when he was a kid people would show up at the job site hoping someone would get hurt so they could take their place. This country was built on hard work, not sick days.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I can't fault someone who's wanting to work. Healthy people seem to shake the China flu off like any other strain of flu. This is just more of the pussifacation of the US of A. My dad said when he was a kid people would show up at the job site hoping someone would get hurt so they could take their place. This country was built on hard work, not sick days.

If ignorance is bliss, you must be the happiest muther fuqker around.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20

You do realize it's allergy season, right?
Posted By: irfubar Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Most companies I have worked for offer you six days a year. That’s not going to cover COVID.
I would think during these times, Disability would pay off, that’s 80% of your pay.

In California....... federal disability takes several years
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Now in ICU.

If it was up to me the original employee infected would be terminated for putting everyone else in danger.

Not only that he should have charges pressed against him and sued by those that he fuqked over.

80% of people that get Covid don't show any symptoms.

One guy, did.

Does his showing symptoms prove he was the first to have it at that place?

Or just the first to show symptoms?

Hysterical people have a tendency to jump to delusions.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
But the cases ........
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

You do realize it's allergy season, right?

And only around 10% of sick people test positive for Coroaner virus.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Of course some abuse sick leave etc to no end. One lady I've worked with consumes sick and annual leave at the rate it accumulates. When sh-t hits the fan, she has to go into debt mode. She's also famous for padding hours and claiming time when not truly present. Another guy saves sick leave for hunting seasons.

We had another lady that started work, took 9 days of sick leave and then quit. Not an option. She had to either pay us back or work long enough to accumulate that leave. She took the latter, was not really a joy to be around, and the quality of her work was quite questionable.

I'm retired now but over 28 years I took 4 hours of sick leave going home tired with a headache one afternoon. At retirement, accumulated sick leave was added to time on the job, so I had just over a full year added to the equation. I guess I could have simply taken the last year off, but I'd not ever do that to my coworkers.

That being, there were for sure days with a runny nose or a cough, but I was typically in my own office or out doing field work. I'm one of those "buck up, don't whine, and get it done" types. When I put something on the calendar, it happens Hell or high water.

I fully understand small business encouraging attendance if possible. Most simply cannot afford to have spare staff or backups on call at a moments notice. If the front office lady or the cook can't come in, then everyone is essentially out of business for those days.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
I think from here on out everytime I get the sniffles, an itchy throat, or sneeze, I'll take two weeks off work.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Now in ICU.

Oh my.

You fellers really are getting dramatic.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I think from here on out everytime I get the sniffles, an itchy throat, or sneeze, I'll take two weeks off work.

I'm just gonna live like the Unabomber.

Sans bombs.
Posted By: AKduck Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Despite two weeks of leave being covered if we are suspected of having Wuhan.....haven't seen anyone try to duck out on b*llshit.
Posted By: las Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
"Everyone" and "no-one" is rather a large brush.

When I retired, I had over $30K worth of unused sick leave. They gave me 17, after taxes and other BS- tho buyout isn't at 100%.

Next I worked as a ramper for AK Air in Kotzebue for 4 years, working 60-80 hours a week. Had a couple mild colds, never took one day of paid sick leave. We were short-staffed.... only about 20 rampers and agents both.

Then 4 years with a food service company, feeding the school kids there. Picked up something on the plane back from Hawaii, and did take a few days off. A cafeteria is no place to sneeze on food for others....

My wife worked in school district administration there- 8 years. She might have taken a few days off sick leave, I don't remember. She did cash in over 30K of unused vacation time (also not fully compensated) when we left after 8 years.

Some people actually do have a work ethic. Or are work-a-holics..... smile
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
No problem with sick people staying home, but let's be rational about this. People can be infected 2 weeks before showing symptoms. So, by the time they might start feeling sick, they've been working for 2 weeks with the virus. Can't really blame someone for not knowing they were sick. Then, when they start to feel a little sick, how are they to know what they have? I have allergies that could easily check some of the boxes for this or other viruses, as do many others. The common cold and flu is still around and much more common than this virus, so if you feel a little off one day do you automatically go home and quarantine yourself?

Can you easily get tested where you are? I know we can't. People love to point fingers and assign blame when they are scared.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

If ignorance is bliss, you must be the happiest muther fuqker around.

Thank you I take that as a compliment. I'm self employed and we only close for Christmas and Easter. So sick leave is something I know nothing about until 3 1/2 weeks ago when we were forced to take sick leave on our own dime.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Leastways I'm not a multipersonality dik head claiming to be a deacon.
Posted By: SAcharlie Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
But thats a prerequisite to becoming a member here in high regard.
Also ya ain't no righteous Republican without being one.
We all know at least one person who brags about how they've never taken a day off sick. What they never mention is how many responsible people had to use their sick time when they were infected by them.
Posted By: Backroads Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20
Being so afraid of getting sick at work is probably grounds to receive disability checks.

Hiding in the bathtub was my plan, til I realized how many people died each year in their bathtubs, gotta rethink my SHTF plans....
Posted By: dassa Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/11/20

So he may as well give it to those who dodged it?

It was already in his place of business. Even if he had stayed home, it was there. Someone else already had it, and would have kept passing it around. It's how viruses work.
Posted By: pahick Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/12/20
Sorry, long day. Didnt read all posts. Yes company is paying people directly affected to stay home. Anyone directly affected with symptoms during their time off asked to get tested. Really sucks in a way because there are a lot of people that had secondary contact with these folks. Workers that may have come in secondary contact arent being given any option to work, but asked to watch for symptoms. Company does offer to stay home unpaid to anyone in the high risk category. Unfortunately, if you choose to stay home because youre high risk, you do not qualify for unemployment compensation. Unless they have vacation to use, theyre screwed financially.

A lot of people pissed off that the company remains open(defense). Others are pissed because of folks complaining about concerns may shut it down and theyll be forced to file for UC.

Personally, I feel its gonna spread like wildfire. They have sanitation practices in place, but you cant get everything. And so far, their sanitation practices havent stopped someone from acquiring the virus or we obviously wouldnt have the spread we have so far.

A concern of mine is we're running into allergy season here. People are going to see others cough or sneeze and freak. Tension and stress is already at an all time high. Its not gonna get any better.
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/12/20
Employers are required to pay two weeks of sick leave at full rates for certain circumstances. The money spent by the employer can be a dollar for dollar tax credit.

The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA or Act) requires certain employers to provide employees with paid sick leave or expanded family and medical leave for specified reasons related to COVID-19. The Department of Labor’s (Department) Wage and Hour Division (WHD) administers and enforces the new law’s paid leave requirements. These provisions will apply from the effective date through December 31, 2020.

Generally, the Act provides that employees of covered employers are eligible for:

Two weeks (up to 80 hours) of paid sick leave at the employee’s regular rate of pay where the employee is unable to work because the employee is quarantined (pursuant to Federal, State, or local government order or advice of a health care provider), and/or experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and seeking a medical diagnosis; or
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/12/20

Don't know you, but if you are doing manual labor of some sort and making $4k a week, you have ZERO room to bitch about employer's not caring about their employees' well-being.

If you can't afford to miss a week because you are ill while you are pulling down over $200k, then the root of your problem lies with YOU.
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/12/20
By law, these posters should be in your workplace

DOL Poster 01
Posted By: deflave Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/12/20
My wife is able to telework which has worked out great for me.

I was scared that I’d have to do stuff around the house and help the kids with school work.
Posted By: johnw Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/12/20
dang..... 4K a week?
that adds up!

454?
Posted By: johnw Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/12/20
Originally Posted by passport
Show me a company where people with obvious symptoms can not only show up to work but ACTUALLY work and I’ll show you an employer who’s not in touch with his employees.....

Stupid of the guy yes but an employer has the Responsibility to monitor for such things as well. Moreover get to know your employees and understand what they need and want, clearly have a guy that’s hard up here

Company I work for has facilities in over 50 nations. The facility I work in has ^2500 employees. There is no sick pay. Miss 3 days in 6 months and you are in violation of policy and subject to discipline. Miss the 4th day and they can go straight to dismissal. A doctor's note has no bearing or authority with the company unless the employee files for FMLA. If you take FMLA without applying for short term disability, any days that you use come off your vacation. Most everybody has chosen to work sick at some point.

But that all changed a few weeks ago. If you can show documentation now of symptoms or association with someone who has symptoms, you are off til further notice with full pay. 14 days minimum in case of confirmed CV19 test. Furthermore you have to document that the symptoms are gone, even if it's your spouse, and that you have been fever free for 72 hours without medication to return to work.

My wife was sick and got tested for CV19. it was negative and she has mostly recovered. I have a release from quarantine to return to work. Employer still requires me to document an additional 3 days for myself with no fever reducing meds and no fever.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Dont be a dumbass! - 04/12/20
Sorry, long day. Didnt read all posts. Yes company is paying people directly affected to stay home. Anyone directly affected with symptoms during their time off asked to get tested. Really sucks in a way because there are a lot of people that had secondary contact with these folks. Workers that may have come in secondary contact arent being given any option to work, but asked to watch for symptoms. Company does offer to stay home unpaid to anyone in the high risk category. Unfortunately, if you choose to stay home because youre high risk, you do not qualify for unemployment compensation. Unless they have vacation to use, theyre screwed financially.

A lot of people pissed off that the company remains open(defense). Others are pissed because of folks complaining about concerns may shut it down and theyll be forced to file for UC.

Personally, I feel its gonna spread like wildfire. They have sanitation practices in place, but you cant get everything. And so far, their sanitation practices havent stopped someone from acquiring the virus or we obviously wouldnt have the spread we have so far.

A concern of mine is we're running into allergy season here. People are going to see others cough or sneeze and freak. Tension and stress is already at an all time high. Its not gonna get any better.

Holy crap! Take a deep breath, pal. You're going to die of a heart attack long before the virus.
© 24hourcampfire