Home
Posted By: Fireball2 Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
I've known some people that had a lot of junk in their yard, old cars, stacks of rough sawn lumber if they had a mill, or such, but don't think I've known any hoarders like the one's I watch on TV. That's some downright scary mental problems right there. Mice all over the counter tops, cockroaches by the tens of thousands. No running water or working toilet, who lives like that and thinks it's ok? Big old stack of pizza boxes and diet pepsi bottles next to the recliner. I'd just call it so damn lazy they're self-destructing.

Crazy crazy stuff. Anyone know any hard core hoarders?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
I should really take that old toilet to the treasure pile......meh.
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
My aunt was as described. I dont know how much cash was found squirreled away in crazy locations. I know for a fact as I was there, we found over $5,000 cash in various envelopes and pocketbooks in the trunk if her car. I'm surprised none of the family got sick cleaning out her house. Multiple dumpsters were hauled off. You'd think she didn't have a dime but probably had over $100k in cash and various accounts and bonds. Loved her to death and oddly enough, she had the most immaculate vegetable garden every year. God rest her soul.
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
Old man is bat schit crazy like that. Old farm house i grew up in was abandoned for a few years so i went to live there to clean it up because he wanted to move back to it. Took me a little over a year. Remodeled and repaired the house and barn inside and out. I have pictures of before and after. Rented a bobcat to level the ground because of all of the mysterious mounds on the property. Several feet of burned tires and trash... Should have called the show out to the place to see what i was dealing with. He moved back in a couple of months after i left the place like a park. 6 months time...TRASHED. Rides his tractor along the roads picking up road debris and brings it home. Dumpster dives in town and brings home broken appliances with intention of repairing them. Unbelievable. Makes you sick and pisses you off at the same time but its his place. Im not cleaning that schit up again when he goes. Haven't been there in a couple of years and not planning on visiting any time soon. Rattlesnake haven.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Old toilets are gold these days. 3 gallons per flush baby! grin
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Old toilets are gold these days. 3 gallons per flush baby! grin

Take the lid off and the tank top, fill both with Miracle Gro potting soil and plant your tomatoes in there.

That ain’t hoarding , that’s “Utilitarian “. Waste not, want not,,,,,that kinda scchitt.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
My father got like that back in the 70’s with tube radios and TVs. Worst thing was he had no idea how to even begin to repair them. Thankfully, he stored 99% of it in the barn.

When we were cleaning up the property when they went to sell and I was chucking this crap into the pickup to take it to the dump. He was whining “Be careful. They’re antiques!!”

I said “BS, they’re garbage” and kept tossing.
Posted By: Dess Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
My parents weren't hoarders, but they lived through the Great Depression. My father had car parts for vehicles he no longer had...just in case. Saved nails and rusty screws in cool-whip containers. Scrounged yard sales for bargains was a pastime. Kept extra screws, nuts and bolts from discarded appliances. Dad died first, when my mom died, it was difficult to determine what was family heirloom stuff and what was garage sale stuff.

I understand the mentality to a point, but not to the point of obsession.
Posted By: mike7mm08 Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
Guy I knew was a first class hoarder. Retired dentist worth millions. Had millions of dollars worth of properties, great hunting land. You would of thought he was homeless by looking at him.

He had a a 40 by 60 dental office built in the middle of know where. Figured his nine kids would all become dentist. I cleaned it out for him after he was retired for a few years. Entire building was about four to six foot deep with junk. 85 percent was garbage.

His house was a real treat. He would keep his food outside in file cabinets. That was so the raccoons would not get at it. They had figured out how to open the cabinets in the house.

I could go on for hours about this crazy fool.

This really sums it up though. Sheriff was looking for wanted subject. They tracked him down to the vicinity of the property huge manhunt. Of course news showed up. They were up in the helicopter filming the cops. They were searching the yard of the house and the assorted out buildings. News reporter said the police are searching what appears to be some kind of debris field.
Posted By: hanco Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
I’ve never known anyone like that. I guess I’m lucky.
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
My aunt was as described. I dont know how much cash was found squirreled away in crazy locations. I know for a fact as I was there, we found over $5,000 cash in various envelopes and pocketbooks in the trunk if her car. I'm surprised none of the family got sick cleaning out her house. Multiple dumpsters were hauled off. You'd think she didn't have a dime but probably had over $100k in cash and various accounts and bonds. Loved her to death and oddly enough, she had the most immaculate vegetable garden every year. God rest her soul.

When my grandmother died we found many items she had bought ahead and hid away like sheets and pillowcases. The funny part was the ones on the beds were ready to go in the garbage but the new ones were never put on the beds. Found some money stashed around the house.
My goal the last couple years has been to purge all the screws with flat balde or phillips heads! Hopefully when I die they won't find anything but Torx head screws in this place LOL.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
Yes, unfortunately she lives at the other end of the house.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
Ran into a couple when I was reading gas & electric meters for a few years in my "semi" retirement job before I fully retired. Worst one was a huge, one story, ranch home in a very upscale neighborhood. My hand held showed me that nobody had been in there in a few years. I got lucky and someone who was there let me in. I think it was one of the residents adult children. Couldn't come in through the attached garage. It was floor to ceiling, wall to wall, full of cardboard boxes and plastic storage totes. Came in through a back door by the garage direct to basement stairs. Got a glimpse of the kitchen & living room with boxes & totes lining the walls up to the ceiling. The basement was packed to the rafters with the same boxes & totes with one "aisle" down the center that was so narrow I had to squeeze through sideways all the way to the other end of the basement and shine my flashlight over a pile to get a gas meter reading. Luckily the electric meter was right by the bottom of the stairs and I got that easily. There was another one where a guy lived alone in a 2 story townhouse with a basement. Had to go through the kitchen to get to the basement stairs to go down and get a gas meter reading. The dining room off the kitchen had newspapers stacked 6 ft. high taking up most of the dining room. Looked like another room on the other side of the dining room was the same way. Nice enough guy; friendly and talkative. I wanted to ask him how long it took to accumulate that many newspapers but figured I better not ask. Wanna hear about hoarders? Talk to any meter reader that is required to occasionally enter homes.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
One of my Granddad's hoarded food. I was told that when he was young, the family was dirt poor and went hungry a lot of the time. When he passed away, we found food stashed in his closets, under the bed, in the dresser, etc. All was canned goods or items that wouldn't spoil anytime soon. The house was neat as a pin and we didn't know he had the food stashed until we moved his stuff out of the house.

Grandma was crippled, he did the shopping, and I always thought it funny when I'd hear him talk of buying things in bulk, when they were on sale. Never thought about where it went. Now I realize he was hoarding it.
Posted By: Remsen Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
Both parents were hoarders... they survived wartime deprivations and to this day won't throw out anything, even empty jars. About 6 years ago we moved them to assisted living and cleaned out their old house. Three freezers, two fridges and a 500 sq foot storage room packed with canned goods and a garage full of junk that was accumulated over 45 years.

It took four of those huge debris containers (the ones the size of a conex) to hold all the old food and garbage they had hoarded.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
Anyone else been a military detailed slave recruiter???

Sure if anyone has they can tell ya about having a appt with a prospect in their schithole USA home.

BTDT....

Hoarders of Maine...
LOL!!!
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
My Grandmother has a shed for her "things". I think it's 32x60. I told my mother if she ever needs a shed, I'm having her committed. Gram's house is clean but the basement and shed, yikes.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
Cleaned out my parents house of 60 years. Still can't believe how much stuff came out of that 1100 sq ft post war bungalow!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
Where is the line between just-in-case hoarding, and mental illness pack-ratting?
Posted By: rem141r Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
my parents grew up during the depression. mom saved jars, milk jugs, coffee cans, you name it. not hoarding exactly but lots of clutter. they sold the homestead after i went in the service and my brother had a 2 day fire in the back yard. stupid f ucker burnt a lot of good stuff along with the schit. dining room furniture, wood shop projects, albums, you name it. my whole childhood can fit in a footlocker. every once in a while i still remember stuff that i had and wish i still did. my parents retired to our camp and lived there for 20 years and collected more stuff. after i took it over i slowly and methodically got rid of the crap, sold the good stuff i didn't want and still have a bunch of stuff. dad was a sucker for cheap tools from yard sales and flea markets. i have a bunch of crap that is too good to throw away but junky enough to be frustrating to use.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
I did my worst ever german cockroach cleanout on a hoarder house. Two old ladies in Dover Tn, a mile from the battlefield.

Reminded me of the Baldwin sisters on Walton’s.

It was apocalyptic, started running Demon EC and pyrethrum and Piperonyl butoxide.

Fuggers were coming out of every crevice, drawer, stacks of newspaper, etc.

Falling off the ceiling into my hair, into my sun glasses Came 5 days later and nuked their asses again. Took about 6 months to get a handle on them. But you couldn’t change the peoples’ habits. It kept it ‘manageable’ till they moved them into a nursing home.
Originally Posted by renegade50

Sure if anyone has they can tell ya about having a appt with a prospect in their schithole USA home.

BTDT....

Hoarders of Maine...
LOL!!!

HAHAHA

was this the tom cat house, came in sashays around while you all were talking, up periscope tail and commenced to whizzin on every corner in the living room.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
My father got like that back in the 70’s with tube radios and TVs. Worst thing was he had no idea how to even begin to repair them. Thankfully, he stored 99% of it in the barn.

When we were cleaning up the property when they went to sell and I was chucking this crap into the pickup to take it to the dump. He was whining “Be careful. They’re antiques!!”

Actually, a lot of those old tube radios are worth money, some are worth thousands. I hope u didn't toss any god ones.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20

Originally Posted by mike7mm08
Guy I knew was a first class hoarder. Retired dentist worth millions. Had millions of dollars worth of properties, great hunting land. You would of thought he was homeless by looking at him.

He had a a 40 by 60 dental office built in the middle of know where. Figured his nine kids would all become dentist. I cleaned it out for him after he was retired for a few years. Entire building was about four to six foot deep with junk. 85 percent was garbage.

His house was a real treat. He would keep his food outside in file cabinets. That was so the raccoons would not get at it. They had figured out how to open the cabinets in the house.

I could go on for hours about this crazy fool.

This really sums it up though. Sheriff was looking for wanted subject. They tracked him down to the vicinity of the property huge manhunt. Of course news showed up. They were up in the helicopter filming the cops. They were searching the yard of the house and the assorted out buildings. News reporter said the police are searching what appears to be some kind of debris field.

Used to be an old guy like that here too. Retired small town bank president, still chaired the bank board and was the single largest depositor. He had been the pillar of the community for years, clean cut, suit and tie until his wife died. Owned God only knows how much land with producing oil wells on a good bit of it. After his wife died he let his beard and hair grow out long and wore raggedy stained whatever. Still lived in the brick ranch house he and wife and two daughters had kept so clean and neat when she was still alive and the girls were living at home but was so cluttered up now with his "treasures" you had to walk zig-zag down narrow paths to get from room to room. Yard was pretty much the same. He loved auctions and when he started bidding on something you best give up and move on because cost was nothing to him when he wanted something. He'd bid on anything that struck his fancy. Load his goods up in his old pickup, haul it back home and stack it up with the rest. Photos of him before and after was hard to believe it was the same man. Oddly, though, he was still as sharp as ever mentally in things other than his obsessive hoarding.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
A lady that my wife sort of looked out for was quite bad about hoarding.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
Funny how some hoarders seem like regular, well adjusted folks. There was one locally years ago that made the news. Real successful older guy whose wife died about 15 or 20 years before he did. Wasn't until he died that they discovered you could barely walk around in his house. He had neighbors around him who saw him regularly and talked with him. None of the neighbors had a clue that he was a big time hoarder. He had a landscaper that kept his yard beautiful and the exterior of the house was beautiful; but indoors was a totally different story. I guess you never know, sometimes.
Posted By: bja105 Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
I am sure most of you know hoarders, but you don't know they are. I am an HVAC tech, and have been in people's homes for 20 years. Rich, poor, city, country, all races. Many of them I had known from fixing equipment at their work, then I was invited to their homes. They seem normal at work, but they can't hide it at home.

One notable apparently didn't seem normal at work. A beautiful old city home, but inside was 4' deep of trash and booze bottles. He was a county judge. He was removed for being drunk on the bench, not wearing pants under his robes.

Alcoholism and hoarding are both symptoms of mental illness.
We’re going to find a dead cat named Boostie in my mother in law’s house one day.

That mfer came up missing about 3 months ago.
Preparedness isn't hoarding.

The dynamic that the left is creating in this country right now sure is making people think differently about having "enough" on hand.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
We’re going to find a dead cat named Boostie in my mother in law’s house one day.

Hey rockinbbar??? Remind you of anyone we knew????? 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
Somebody has got ALL the toilet paper and I want to know who!
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Real life hoarders - 05/14/20
Until you’ve found a mummified dog covered with a sheet melted into the sofa you haven’t seen anything same house I saw a mummified parrot in a cage still perched
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
Originally Posted by renegade50

BTDT....

Hoarders of Maine...
LOL!!!

HAHAHA

was this the tom cat house, came in sashays around while you all were talking, up periscope tail and commenced to whizzin on every corner in the living room.

Yep...
Told ya about other adventures in scumbille maine.

The crippled german shepard trying to get at the cat food place.
Gawd.....

The 3 years worth of dead flies on every window sill one.

The stolen plywood road sign home.

The 2 saw horse 2 by 8 plank right door trailer bathroom one.

The our house burnt up but we still live in it one.

JFC......
LOL!!!

Bootsie!!!!

You shoulda popped that fugger that day you scared the schit outta it out deer hunting.
Lol!!!
Posted By: Dess Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
It's not the stuff, it's the stench. I've thrown out work clothes after being subjected to some of these domiciles.
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
I've known some people that had a lot of junk in their yard, old cars, stacks of rough sawn lumber if they had a mill, or such, but don't think I've known any hoarders like the one's I watch on TV. That's some downright scary mental problems right there. Mice all over the counter tops, cockroaches by the tens of thousands. No running water or working toilet, who lives like that and thinks it's ok? Big old stack of pizza boxes and diet pepsi bottles next to the recliner. I'd just call it so damn lazy they're self-destructing.

I knew one. A friend/former roomate who was sorta nuts. He was really bizarre. So I went ot his house once, and his mom was a hoarder. CRAAAZY amount of newspapers, all bundled, and sstacked along every wall as high as a 5'2" woman could reach. A 15x10 room was turned into a hallway.

Near as I could tell it was like this in the entire house.

Picture the entire interior of a nice large split level home in ridgewood NJ with stacked newspaper as, essentially, an additional bunker interior wall. On the entire house.

It was crazy. He didnt prep me for it, and I didnt say anything, and as we left he smiled and said something like "explains a lot, huh?".

He wa s avery good bartender though.
Now that I htink of it, it was like a Newspaper Minecraft house. Big 8 bit blocks of newspapers.

Crazy.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20

Bought a place, for the land, it had a nice shed and a small house, 2 nice spring fed ponds, it bordered my place, never went in the buildings till about 2 weeks after we closed on it. shop was 12'x24' and it was level 5' deep in beer cans,house was really nasty, back bed room had about 6" of dog chitt,wall to wall. I burned the house down and pushed it in a hole, cleaned out the shop sold all the beer cans, good part it has a good well. we still own it. Rio7
Oh, damn, I cant believe I forgot. .. My neighbor across the street.

Duplex. Filled one side, moved into the other. No [bleep]. [bleep] hole.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
My mother in law still has my brother in law’s Garanimals corduroy pants and little boy size turtle neck sweaters stacked 4 ft high on a KENMORE dryer that quit working 15 yrs ago in her laundry room.

He is 45 years old.

Can only get the door open about 10” to get in there. Had to help them fix a water pipe for the bathtub thru a wall in there. Holy chit I want kick her ass up between her ears.
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Actually, a lot of those old tube radios are worth money, some are worth thousands. I hope u didn't toss any god ones.

Guys go nuts for the tubes alone. You could literally have a small fortune in vacuum tubes, let along output transformers. And thats just parting things out. You very likely tossed out some actual, real, serious coin there.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
I knew a guy years ago that told me that when he was growing up he never had friends over to his house because his mother was a hoarder. He was too ashamed to have his friends see the house he lived in.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
Friends of mine in town are the world’s biggest sellers of vacuum tubes.
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20

Buying a farm from my buddy, whose mother lived in the house on it until she passed away three years ago. We just spent nearly a month cleaning out the house. His mom grew up in the Depression. Never threw anything away. Bought anything anyone called trying to sell her. Load after load to the dump, literally tons, and buddy bought a 20 foot shipping container to store the stuff he wants to keep and still needs to sort through. He is no slouch himself, has three barns, a detached two car garage with a workshop, and the basement and closets of his house full of stuff, to the point he cannot fit the few tables his mother had that were worth keeping in any of the barns.

So I was cleaning out the spare bedroom one morning, and moved one of the two beds out. Under it, a large orange cat was practically welded to the carpet. It was one of his mom’s cats that had gone missing sometime around 2014. His mother lived in the house until 2017, he was there to check on her every day, and claims they never smelled the cat that was decomposing into the carpet of the next room. I am a bit of a clean freak and somewhat minimalist in my thinking, being involved in this has left me just astounded at times.

People ruin a house to the point of having to gut it and start over, just by filling it up with so much schit that they cannot even clean it. And then add a few tomcats to the equation, and it gets really amazing. She was a nice lady, amazing gardener, and fairly wealthy, my buddy is much the same, but both of them are/were hoarders and animal lovers that take in strays. His house and hers are both disgusting to me, and I can’t wrap my head around what makes people that way, especially when they are sane about everything else and have the resources to do better.
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
My mother in law still has my brother in law’s Garanimals corduroy pants and little boy size turtle neck sweaters stacked 4 ft high on a KENMORE dryer that quit working 15 yrs ago in her laundry room.

He is 45 years old.

Can only get the door open about 10” to get in there. Had to help them fix a water pipe for the bathtub thru a wall in there. Holy chit I want kick her ass up between her ears.

We found baby socks that were my buddy’s in his mom’s dresser. He is 73.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
There is something about hoarders

They are addicted to things. Clingy, OCD. it can be legit mental

Home Shopping Network preys on these people.

He is 45 years old.

Betcha she got some other little things saved for him too????
Didnt he wear that stuff while going to high school???

LOL!!!!

NO mommy NO........
eek laugh whistle laugh

Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
Watching these tv shows about hoarding, I've never seen so many milquetoast enablers.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
1987 my business partner bought a bungalow on Venice Beach by sealed bid exterior viewing only.
when we rolled up to take possession the young guy whose mother had lived there for 55 years kinda just tossed us the keys and skiddaddled.
we found we couldn't open the door, so found a window next to it that was unlocked. pushed back the drapes and the whole house was full of cat crap, cat food cartons, cat skeletons , and news paper in layers from the floor to the ceiling. there were little paths you could walk sideways from the front window to the back door, and to the bathroom. how the woman sat on the toilet is still beyond me.
being this was beach front property we made a little on just the land after we demolished the house.
another one was a apartment quad complex we bought . the piping was from Korea and had rotted along the seam in every piece in the place. the hot water leaked around the angle stops in the baths and kitchens . this place was 85 units and all were occupied by Wets.
the first time i inspected the place to form our plan of attack i looked under a kitchen sink. the wall behind the cabinet was Black.and moved. took me a little while to realize it was cockroaches. i hurled. cant stand those filthy things. lost money on that project. had gangbangers knock the ladders off from under guys patching stucco so had to hire armed security. did i ever mention i hate California?
Posted By: riflegunbuilder Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
I just spent from 11/19 through the first part of April 20 cleaning out my brother's house. 285 cubic yards of dumpster hauled away. He tried to kill me during the process. He's currently in jail.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Guys go nuts for the tubes alone. You could literally have a small fortune in vacuum tubes, let along output transformers. And thats just parting things out. You very likely tossed out some actual, real, serious coin there.

Hoarder defending a hoarder.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
Upchuck is a hoarder........He hoards stupidity...........Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
Had an uncle that never moved out of my grandparents house. Got married, and raised a family and divorced. All while living there. He was constantly dragging junk chit home. Cars and trucks he was “gonna fix” he did eventually move into an older run down house that was on the place about 200 feet from grandma and grandpa’s. Still ate all his meals and occasionally showered there. Just slept and apparently whacked off constantly at “his” house. When he died we threw a dump truck load of porno mags away that he had stashed in there. Along with a transmission out of his pickup that he had in the bathtub.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
I feel like a hoarder when I go into my reloading room or my gun vault. I've done pretty well the last few months and haven't bought any more guns or reloading stuff. My great grandkids should be set for reloading stuff.

Bb
Posted By: smarquez Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
My FIL wasn't a classic hoarder but did things like keep a 50's outboard motor in case he got a boat one day. He had 40s-50s car radios that were still good, it just needed a resistor or diode. Old, old fishing reels he meant to repair. They were rusted solid. The house was immaculate, the garage was his domaine.

I went into several houses om EMS calls that had paths through the house head high in some places. When they burned, they were a real treat. Usua;;y had fire pushing hard out all the windows and long hours overhauling.
My former sister in-law was a hoarder. It was really weird. She managed to practically fill a 2400 square foot home in about 2 years.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
i have known a number.
one guy who kind of big time stunk, we called the "dog food" man. he worked in a kitchen would often bring home food to eat taken off the plates of diners, and actually did buy dog food to fry up. his house where he lived with his mother was covered from floor to ceiling with little passage ways through the junk. his mother finally slipped in the bathroom, fell, and died. he left her there for three or four days. when it was discovered they at first threw him in jail thinking he had killed her, which wasn't true.
the irony of it was he had over 250k in his brokerage account. I would leave the office when he came in because of the smell.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
had another guy who after his death i was given the job of disposing of his firearms, which he had stored in a rathole.
i put on a face mask when i went in there. there were cans of 50 yeare old smokless powder that was leaching out of the cans.
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
My grandfather. He was a driller in the oilfield for close to 50 years. Whenever they would wear out a bit he would bring them home and stack them in the barn yard. After he died we literally hauled 4 ten yard dump truck loads of them away. There were at least 15 non-working chainsaws in his shed.

Edited to add: he was the same way with drill stem. After he retired he put a pipe fence around 80 acres with a drill bit on top of each post. The 4 dumptruck loads was what was left after he finished that
Posted By: las Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
My goal the last couple years has been to purge all the screws with flat balde or phillips heads! Hopefully when I die they won't find anything but Torx head screws in this place LOL.

I like that plan. May even use it.

Someday.....

Meanwhile, the empty Macadamian Chocolate Cluster jars I am saving are getting ahead of my sorting the garage odds and ends....

We either gotta eat fewer of those things or I have to sort faster....

Those jars are just too valuable to throw away. smile
Posted By: Scotty Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I feel like a hoarder when I go into my reloading room or my gun vault. I've done pretty well the last few months and haven't bought any more guns or reloading stuff. My great grandkids should be set for reloading stuff.

Bb

As I was reading though this thread I kept thinking about my reloading supplies. But that is not a house full.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
I'm sure there are some gun hoarders out there, too. Although I've never come across any. Recently, when toilet paper was in short supply I was wondering if there's any hoarders out there with a spare bedroom stacked floor to ceiling with toilet paper. It wouldn't surprise me.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20

Having been a city inspector and a vol fire/ems I've seen enough of em.

They are not lazy. It is a disease. Around here a lot of it stems from living through the depression, save EVERYTHING days. If you didn't you might not live.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
Originally Posted by 22250rem
I'm sure there are some gun hoarders out there, too. Although I've never come across any. Recently, when toilet paper was in short supply I was wondering if there's any hoarders out there with a spare bedroom stacked floor to ceiling with toilet paper. It wouldn't surprise me.

I wonder how they fit it in when all available space was already filled with .22lr.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Real life hoarders - 05/15/20
I catch myself getting too attached to stuff sometimes. Just the whole "might use this for..." And I have to remind myself that I am probably not going to...and throw it away eventually.

But i sort of get how little stuff adds up. And i know it's a symptom of a mental illness.

I ain't that bad with my reloading stuff. Yet. Lol
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Real life hoarders - 05/16/20
I still have quite a few trim pieces and other lumber stacked in my garage and basement but I still need to finish the basement. When it's done I'll keep one piece of each style and burn the rest.

I spent most all of my twenties never living in one place for more than 8 months. Lots of school at 5 different universities and following whatever summer job around that offered the most overtime. For about 10 years almost everything I owned fit in a full size 4 door sedan. I kind of miss the simplicity of it. Now days all of my bolt action rifles wouldn't fit in the same car.

Bb
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Real life hoarders - 05/16/20
Sold a home (owner finance) to a lady that worked for my ex. 6-7 years later, they stopped paying their mortgage, delinquent on property taxes, and no home owners insurance. Foreclosed and property sold at auction for what they owed in total (thank God). Real Estate company that bought the place called me over to take a look at the place when they took possession.

Front of house and front yard looked ok... but the back was full of tires, car parts, refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers....junk and bags and bags of trash. Inside was completely destroyed. Sheetrock removed or had large holes, one bathroom gutted and nothing worked. Cat [bleep] everywhere, fleas, trash piled up everywhere (spoiled food, mummified food). Just absolutely horrible.

Dodge a bullet on that foreclosure! lol

Unbelievable how some people will live in squalor.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Real life hoarders - 05/16/20
I don't know if this would qualify as hoarding, but I keep a lot of odds and ends of materials, etc., that I might or might not need someday, because it's often impossible to buy when you do need it at least at a reasonable price. "Sorry, we only sell it in 10 ft. lengths, or 4x8' sheets, or 5 gal. cans, or packages of 50, or whatever, or we don't sell retail." Where I used to live there there were shops that might charge a cutting fee, but that was fair. You can buy small pieces of specialty metals online, but the shipping costs are out of sight.

So I've accumulated a lot of crap of dubious value that takes up space.

Paul
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Real life hoarders - 05/16/20
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I still have quite a few trim pieces and other lumber stacked in my garage and basement but I still need to finish the basement. When it's done I'll keep one piece of each style and burn the rest.

I spent most all of my twenties never living in one place for more than 8 months. Lots of school at 5 different universities and following whatever summer job around that offered the most overtime. For about 10 years almost everything I owned fit in a full size 4 door sedan. I kind of miss the simplicity of it. Now days all of my bolt action rifles wouldn't fit in the same car.

Bb

Reminded me of the "good 'ol days"! When I was in college I felt like a migrant worker. When it was time to move I bought a bag of Hefty Steel Sack garbage bags, filled 4 or 5 up with my personal possessions and moved to a different apartment. At the time I was driving a Ford Pinto. I had no furniture and I could move everything I owned in one load in my Pinto.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Real life hoarders - 05/16/20
It just acuminates here, most is worth little. The last I heard scrap iron is worth next to nothing.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Real life hoarders - 05/16/20
Originally Posted by Paul39
... So I've accumulated a lot of crap of dubious value that takes up space.

Paul

Paul, that sounds like my wife talking about me. smile
© 24hourcampfire