Home
Posted By: duck911 E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/25/20
E-bikes might be cheating (if you are a purist snob), but if ain't cheating, you ain't tryin'!

My wife and I have been riding bikes quite a bit recently but the enjoyment, exercise, and being outside is more important than the "burn", when we ride together. But we live a bit out of town, a little too far for her to keep up to a ride to a brewery or anything downtown.

(I ride my mountain bike on trails for a real work-out when she isn't interesed)

Our wedding anniversary is tomorrow and we've been riding some e-bikes here and there (SIL has one, we've been test riding them at a few shops here as well)

So, we splurged a bit and bought a pair as anniversary gifts to each other. They will go with us in the motorhome for light trail riding, I'll ride mine to work periodically (30 miles) once things open back up, and, they're just friggin' FUN! We'll be able to ride together on rides she wouldn't be comfortable with otherwise - into town, to the next town over (Ft. Collins), to our friends houses south of town... It's nice to hit a button when heading into the wind or up an incline and just get a huge power boost.

For the uninitiated, our bikes are "class 1" bikes - they don't have a throttle and won't speed us down the road unless we peddle. Class 1's add power to the pedal stroke. I can run ~32 MPH on my bike, pedaling like I am running 15 MPH.

I went with the Trek Super Commuter:

[Linked Image]

Took it for a medium-long ride (for me) when we got home today (20 miles). My 500 Ah battery has a range from ~40 to ~90 miles depending on how much "assist" I ask it for. I had a nice work out... Rode 50% no assist 50% "eco" mode most of the way out, "tour mode" most of the way home, and "turbo" for a 2 mile home stretch that was straight uphill, and into a driving wind and rain.

Ran the battery down 8%. Never would have peddled that myself without being destroyed, especially uphill into the wind at the end.

Can't wait to go camping and take them along!
Posted By: DMc Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/25/20
Got myself an ebike to keep up with the Grand and neighborhood kids. Love it.
Posted By: deflave Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/25/20
Duck O' Dumb,

You might not be gay, but I guarantee you know what a dick tastes like.
Posted By: duck911 Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by DMc
Got myself an ebike to keep up with the Grand and neighborhood kids. Love it.

Nice!

They provide a lot of options - keep up with others, extend the distance of a ride, extend the time of a ride... All without getting completely wiped out.

I think we're going to get a lot of use out of ours (and I will keep trail riding on my old Giant MTB)
Posted By: fester Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/25/20

Bad as s if ya ask me..... but you didn’t.
Still bad a ss
Posted By: 16penny Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/25/20
might be good for coyote hunting
Originally Posted by fester

Still bad a ss

Damn, bad ass. Thanks for posting. Seems like there'd be an adjustment riding off road not being able to index of RPM's. Cool toy though.

There were some high end e-MTB there today, too. I test rode the Trek Rail 9.9. INSANE bike. Drop off my driver's license, borrow a helmet, and they said, "have fun!"

I think the sticker was $10,500. I found some construction site off I-25 north of Loveland maybe 2 miles from Scheels where they are rebuilding the frontage road.

Strange experience. It'd be a learning curve for sure.... I was moving through some tactical sections with concrete and rocks in manual. Added some electric assist, stomp down on a peddle, and the front end came up 6" off the ground. Romped around there for an hour. Fun as hell.

But honestly, it wasn't for me. I think I prefer the tactile aspects of the technical environments. Seems safer?

But for a long 14 mile R/T ride through town with the wife to hit a brewery or two.... We're set!
Posted By: ConradCA Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/25/20
Can you ride them in areas that don’t allow motor vehicles?

Can you go hunting for deer on one?
Posted By: Lee_Woiteshek Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/25/20
Federal wilderness area rules still apply. Hooves or boot leather.

That said, I'd sure like one for elk hunting.
Originally Posted by ConradCA

Can't speak to the e-motorcycle... but if you are asking about the bike:

There are generally 2 types in the US:

Class 1 (adds power to each peddle stroke) and class 1 plus class 3 (adds power to your peddling, plus has a "throttle" switch, which gets you up to 28 MPH, without peddling). Over 28 MPH puts e-bikes into motor vehicle category, in many/most places.

GENERALLY speaking, any of the above under 28 MPH is just a "bike", by most local jurisdictions rules.

Can't speak to hunting rules in your area. I hunt in some remote wilderness areas where a a simple *game cart* is illegal to use.
Posted By: fester Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by duck911

Still bad a ss

Damn, bad ass. Thanks for posting. Seems like there'd be an adjustment riding off road not being able to index of RPM's. Cool toy though.

There were some high end e-MTB there today, too. I test rode the Trek Rail 9.9. INSANE bike. Drop off my driver's license, borrow a helmet, and they said, "have fun!"

I think the sticker was $10,500. I found some construction site off I-25 north of Loveland maybe 2 miles from Scheels where they are rebuilding the frontage road.

Strange experience. It'd be a learning curve for sure.... I was moving through some tactical sections with concrete and rocks in manual. Added some electric assist, stomp down on a peddle, and the front end came up 6" off the ground. Romped around there for an hour. Fun as hell.

But honestly, it wasn't for me. I think I prefer the tactile aspects of the technical environments. Seems safer?

But for a long 14 mile R/T ride through town with the wife to hit a brewery or two.... We're set!

Originally Posted by duck911
Originally Posted by ConradCA

Can't speak to the e-motorcycle... but if you are asking about the bike:

There are generally 2 types in the US:

Class 1 (adds power to each peddle stroke) and class 1 plus class 3 (adds power to your peddling, plus has a "throttle" switch, which gets you up to 28 MPH, without peddling). Over 28 MPH puts e-bikes into motor vehicle category, in many/most places.

GENERALLY speaking, any of the above under 28 MPH is just a "bike", by most local jurisdictions rules.

Can't speak to hunting rules in your area. I hunt in some remote wilderness areas where a a simple *game cart* is illegal to use.

I’m not sure.... I haven’t rode one....

Sure does look cool as f u k.
I’ve done some mountain biking and dirt (gas engine) that resembles that.

Looks fun
Posted By: Barkoff Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/25/20
So are these any help up steep hills, or just keep you up to speed on flat land?
Posted By: huskyrunner Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/25/20
The one I built runs like a scalded ape. No problem climbing single track without pedaling. But I did gear down the front chainring and top speed is only about 23 mph.
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/25/20
The ones I've seen over here have the motor in the hub
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/25/20
An older gentleman that belongs to our hunting group has one of the Quiet Cats and really likes it. His is the tri-cycle type and he has a trailer for it with bicycle type 20” tires on it.

It does well in the moderate hills that we hunt in and he’s hauled more than a few deer out with it on the trailer. He’s also hauled seed and fertilizer for planting food plots.

His wife uses it for her yard work on their place.

All in all it’s pretty impressive. He plugs it in to recharge every night for the next day.

Iirc, he paid ~ 5k$ for it with the trailer, light kit and a large gel type seat.

Boys and their toys.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/25/20
I like eBikes. I was thinking about getting my wife one so she can join me on longer rides.
Posted By: deflave Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I like eBikes. I was thinking about getting my wife one so she can join me on longer rides.

Two-stroke or bust!
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/25/20
They’re definitely filling a niche. The big concern I would have is the batteries. In the future will you be able to find a replacement for whatever Ebike you have. Seems like the technology is still changing fast.
Posted By: akasparky Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/25/20

Great Video, if you were curious this is the light he was using on the drone to illuminate the track at the end of the video.

Aputure Amaran Tri-8s Spot Daylight LED Light with V-Mount Battery Plate
[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

With the price they charge for the nicer E-Bikes I'd just get the real thing and be done with it...

Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
They’re definitely filling a niche. The big concern I would have is the batteries. In the future will you be able to find a replacement for whatever Ebike you have. Seems like the technology is still changing fast.

Me too. Also, I'd be concerned about what happens when the battery is drained. The E-bikes weigh a lot more than regular bikes and would be harder to pedal, even where it's flat.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by deflave
Duck O' Dumb,

You might not be gay, but I guarantee you know what a dick tastes like.

Pay no attention to deflave. His only contribution seems to be making threads longer, sort of like blog pollution. I doubt if he hunts or fishes. His main interest seems to be scatology.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Me too. Also, I'd be concerned about what happens when the battery is drained. The E-bikes weigh a lot more than regular bikes and would be harder to pedal, even where it's flat.

Indy and Birdie, fwiw, the gentleman that I was talking about with the tri-cycle Quiet Cat has had his battery rebuilt.

Battery World in Baton Rouge.

His has a charge indicator on it to know when it’s getting on the low side.
Originally Posted by Barkoff
So are these any help up steep hills, or just keep you up to speed on flat land?

Both.

Mine is a "class 1", meaning I have to peddle to get the power boost.

Class 3's have an actual throttle, they can zip you along without peddling.

So in the case of my bike, I'll still have to peddle to get up a steep hill. I can choose the level of assist via the computer. None, Eco, Sport, Touring, Turbo. I haven't had this bike on a steep hill yet (just got it yesterday) but based on previous rides I'd guesstimate that on "turbo" the effort to get up a steep hill would be 25% of normal.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/25/20
It ain't really a dirt bike if it does not go ding---ding-ding-----ding-ding and capable of 100 mph in the straights.

But, then I ain't riding it if it is. Too scary for me, even in my younger days.
Posted By: centershot Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/26/20
They are pretty amazing. Same pedaling effort from the rider provides about 3X the power. I rode one up a canyon grade - where normally you would be gearing down and huffing at the top, that thing just accelerated. Felt like the best/strongest day you ever had. Strange feeling and fun.......but here in Idaho they are only allowed on motorized trails. Many of the better trails have signs specifically stating no e-bikes. They are huge in Europe, maybe it will work it's way over here.
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/26/20
How much heavier is this bike than one without a motor? How fast do they go? Also, do they recharge when coasting down hill?
Posted By: centershot Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/26/20
They weigh about twice what a non motorized one weighs. I believe most of them cut off power at 22mph. No recharging while coasting on any that I have seen. From what I understand the recharging mechanism adds too much weight. They are still pretty expensive starting around $2500 for basic bikes - ~ $750 std. mt. bike comparable components and fork. They had a $10K model at the Trek dealer a few weeks ago. Awesome - as it should be. Hopefully trickle down tech will work its way into E-Bikes by the time I need one.
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/26/20
Wonder what it feels like pedaling a 50 pound bike if that charge runs out.
Posted By: deadlift_dude Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/27/20
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Wonder what it feels like pedaling a 50 pound bike if that charge runs out.

The utility bike I built weighs near that. It is some work.

Two stroke motor kits are much cheaper, but legality is a question in some states.
Posted By: Redneck Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/27/20

Two-stroke or bust!
Depends on the definition of "bust"..... laugh
Posted By: bobmn Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/27/20
"...starting around $2500 for basic bikes" more like $1500.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/27/20

The only reason for an E bike IMHO is this. Great thing Paul if it gets her riding with you when she otherwise wouldn't. E bikes are allowing older people to join in on rides they normally wouldn't go on. I don't think their best use is to haul someone who is too fat and lazy to buy a real bicycle. If that's the case ,just buy a gas powered cycle. It will be cheaper and last longer.

BTW-my touring bike is way over 50 lbs loaded and I normally ride it 20-30 miles a time,3-4 times a week just to train. If an E bike is geared low enough,it should still be ride-able when the battery dies.
"...50 pound bike if that charge runs out" more like 65 pounds. Range is 32- 64 km depending on hills, wind, payload,speed and amount of pedal assist.
Posted By: deflave Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/27/20
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

The only reason for an E bike IMHO is this. Great thing Paul if it gets her riding with you when she otherwise wouldn't. E bikes are allowing older people to join in on rides they normally wouldn't go on. I don't think their best use is to haul someone who is too fat and lazy to buy a real bicycle. If that's the case ,just buy a gas powered cycle. It will be cheaper and last longer.

BTW-my touring bike is way over 50 lbs loaded and I normally ride it 20-30 miles a time,3-4 times a week just to train. If an E bike is geared low enough,it should still be ride-able when the battery dies.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
"just buy a cycle" Cannot use a gas powered cycle on bike trails. Motorcycle needs plates, Off Highway sticker, etc.This is the definition of e-bike:
Electric-assisted bicycle. "Electric-assisted bicycle" means a bicycle with two or three wheels that:
(1) has a saddle and fully operable pedals for human propulsion;

(2) meets the requirements:

(i) of federal motor vehicle safety standards for a motor-driven cycle in Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, sections 571.1 et seq.; or

(ii) for bicycles under Code of Federal Regulations, title 16, part 1512, or successor requirements; and

(3) has an electric motor that (i) has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts, (ii) is incapable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour, (iii) is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power alone is used to propel the vehicle at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour, and (iv) disengages or ceases to function when the vehicle's brakes are applied."
State laws vary but generally an e-bike is treated like a bicycle. However, trails administered by the DNR can prohibit e-bikes. The National Parks prohibited e-bikes but just recently changed that ruling.

Posted By: coyote268 Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/27/20
I just finished Turkey season. At 83, workout a minimum of 5 days a week on elliptical, treadmill and ab machine. I am in pretty darn good shape for my age. I got one good bird but I really had to work hard for it. Many miles and hills to get the one I wanted although I did pass up some smaller Toms. Thinking about it and not wanting to give up hunting until the buzzards are circling overhead I realized some adapting should be made. Got on the internet and started looking. Have on order an Rambo Nomad. Not the top of the line as no use getting something that will outlive me but it is what I think will serve me well as to my style of hunting. It is a highly rated bike but it didn't break the bank. Actually, I am looking forward to Deer season but no, I am not about to sell my Honda Pioneer yet
Originally Posted by bobmn
"just buy a cycle" Cannot use a gas powered cycle on bike trails. Motorcycle needs plates, Off Highway sticker, etc.This is the definition of e-bike:
Electric-assisted bicycle. "Electric-assisted bicycle" means a bicycle with two or three wheels that:
(1) has a saddle and fully operable pedals for human propulsion;

(2) meets the requirements:

(i) of federal motor vehicle safety standards for a motor-driven cycle in Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, sections 571.1 et seq.; or

(ii) for bicycles under Code of Federal Regulations, title 16, part 1512, or successor requirements; and

(3) has an electric motor that (i) has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts, (ii) is incapable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour, (iii) is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power alone is used to propel the vehicle at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour, and (iv) disengages or ceases to function when the vehicle's brakes are applied."
State laws vary but generally an e-bike is treated like a bicycle. However, trails administered by the DNR can prohibit e-bikes. The National Parks prohibited e-bikes but just recently changed that ruling.

I can see where an E-bike,even a heavier one would have some appeal if you live where you could legally use one ,but couldn't use a gas powered cycle. My major concern however is that as E-bikes get heavier and more powerful,they will be restricted right alongside gas powered cycles. I just don't think the legislation has caught up yet.
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/27/20
If you live in an area with lots of hills, one of these seems like it would be cool to have. I believe you can adjust the assist level so you could set it up to give you just enough help to get up hills that may be brutal or force you off the bike otherwise, and just use leg power on flats and down hill. May allow a person to get to destinations on their bike they may otherwise never get to experience. Just have to resist the temptation to use it as a scooter so you still get exercise grin
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
If you live in an area with lots of hills, one of these seems like it would be cool to have. I believe you can adjust the assist level so you could set it up to give you just enough help to get up hills that may be brutal or force you off the bike otherwise, and just use leg power on flats and down hill. May allow a person to get to destinations on their bike they may otherwise never get to experience. Just have to resist the temptation to use it as a scooter so you still get exercise grin

I'm 52 and fairly new to cycling but I have discovered that with a good mountain bike of low enough gearing,I can climb any hill. The real limitation is getting to be a good enough cyclist When you can balance at extremely low speeds and get built up on the bike,hills aren't so much of a problem anymore. I can ride up a hill while talking to my wife as she walks hers at an exhausted slow walk. She hasn't been riding as long or nearly as much as me.

At my age and fitness level I wouldn't want an E-bike,but I can see where one would be nice in some situations. I would just lean toward the assisted ones and the lightest ones possible. I've seen some of the MTB ones that were very light and the guys were riding then unassisted as much as assisted.That's the direction i would go unless I just couldn't peddle at all,and in such a case one might not really have the balance to be on a 2 wheeled bike at all.Just keep on going man,as much as you can,whatever it takes. there's some radical recumbent bikes out there too.
Posted By: deflave Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/27/20

Still bad a ss

Fester,

The e-dirtbikes look bad ass. And by all accounts, they are.

My brother was going to get the bigger KTM version but they seemed to have discontinued it already. They are still making a 50cc size version (for lack of a better term).
Posted By: rj112275 Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/27/20
My wife and I have had e-bikes for just over a year. Lots of trails here around northern Colorado to ride bikes. Class 2 are allowed in most places that regular bikes are allowed, including city trails. It sure makes riding more enjoyable. We have the Rad Power bikes.
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/27/20
About four years ago I bought my 71 year old wife a Torker 3 speed tricycle with electric assist. If she pedals she can use the throttle and I think top speed is about 12 mph. This trike has been a blessing for her and enables her to go with me when me and Otto
the mini Schnauzer do our bike ride. She suffers from arthritis and another thing that effects muscles and joints, but this lets her do low impact rides and enjoy more of our Alaskan summers.

I am hoping to get and electric bike of some sort some day and think it would be a quiet way to moose hunt some of our graveled roads. Forget the groomed trails, there are no groomed bike or ATV trails in Alaska I am aware of. I am ok with that, as it means
the wilderness is not going away and I have lived here the last 55 years because of the vast wilderness and hope it never changes.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/27/20
Originally Posted by coyote268
I just finished Turkey season. At 83, workout a minimum of 5 days a week on elliptical, treadmill and ab machine. I am in pretty darn good shape for my age. I got one good bird but I really had to work hard for it. Many miles and hills to get the one I wanted although I did pass up some smaller Toms. Thinking about it and not wanting to give up hunting until the buzzards are circling overhead I realized some adapting should be made. Got on the internet and started looking. Have on order an Rambo Nomad. Not the top of the line as no use getting something that will outlive me but it is what I think will serve me well as to my style of hunting. It is a highly rated bike but it didn't break the bank. Actually, I am looking forward to Deer season but no, I am not about to sell my Honda Pioneer yet

Great stuff, coyote.

May you enjoy many more years of chasing the birds.
Hence the restriction of 1,000 watt motor and 20 mph.
Clark: Hence the restriction of 1,000 watt motor and 20 mph.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/28/20
My 5 year old has been riding a strider balance bike since 18months. Not walking on it but really riding it. Started riding a bike with pedals and no training wheels at 3. For his birthday yesterday (5) we got him a Harley Davidson iron e, which is the same thing as a stacyc

It’s a electric powered balance bike, top speed 11mph. He loves everything motorcycle and dirt bike but is still a little small to lift up a 50 if he needed to. So this is a great starting point before we get him the ktm 50sx. Started on lowest speed setting and within 2 hours told me he was ready to go pro! Lol
I can’t believe how much torque and acceleration it has.

If you have kids check them out. Very cool and he has been on it non stop. Glad I got extra batteries!
Posted By: deflave Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/28/20
Originally Posted by kevinJ
My 5 year old has been riding a strider balance bike since 18months. Not walking on it but really riding it. Started riding a bike with pedals and no training wheels at 3. For his birthday yesterday (5) we got him a Harley Davidson iron e, which is the same thing as a stacyc

It’s a electric powered balance bike, top speed 11mph. He loves everything motorcycle and dirt bike but is still a little small to lift up a 50 if he needed to. So this is a great starting point before we get him the ktm 50sx. Started on lowest speed setting and within 2 hours told me he was ready to go pro! Lol
I can’t believe how much torque and acceleration it has.

If you have kids check them out. Very cool and he has been on it non stop. Glad I got extra batteries!

Kevin,

Those look cool as schit.

Thanks.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/28/20
It does not take much know how to get an E bike to go faster than the electronic limit.

But if you do that, the range goes way down.
Posted By: fester Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/28/20

Still bad a ss

Fester,

The e-dirtbikes look bad ass. And by all accounts, they are.

My brother was going to get the bigger KTM version but they seemed to have discontinued it already. They are still making a 50cc size version (for lack of a better term).

The KTM freeride exc looks fun!
Posted By: centershot Re: E-bikes. Cheating. - 05/28/20
Originally Posted by bobmn
"...starting around $2500 for basic bikes" more like $1500.

Should have noted basic mountain bike that is actually usable ie-Giant Fathom E+. Even that one at $2700 has basic low end components.
© 24hourcampfire