Home
Posted By: wabigoon Nights Spent in a Hospital? - 05/27/20
As a patient? I've been lucky, only two. The first, one night, and heart scare, the second, when they put a stent in my heart.
None ever. 53years. I, guessing thats gonna change in the next 20.
Way too many,worst one? Cancer ward at Columbia Presb. In N.Y.C. the moaning and crying and carrying on at night was straight out of hell.
Second place would go to 6 weeks in traction at Northern West. Hosp.
All the rest were easy compared to those two.
Posted By: hanco Re: Nights Spent in a Hospital? - 05/27/20
Not any I can remember
70 yo! I was 58 and had 3 nights in a hospital. Then 2 weeks in Mary Free Bed! Stroke!
Lots more than I care to remember. Car accident, burst appendix, cancer twice and complications from cancer. I'm a testament to modern medicine!
3 ambulance rides and 9 ron's in the hospital from Nov 19 to this January....all due to complications of this damn cancer.........oh forgot, 1 other night due to kidney stone removal 1994. Total of 10 that I know of.
None since Mom and I were released after I was born there. I am lucky so far, but at 69+ I fear my day is coming for a hospital bed.
One night when I had my knee replacement. I was pretty sick after I had my knee scoped which was my 4th surgery, but it cleared up after about 4 hours. My TKR was next and I was really sick. I couldn't hardly open my eyes and the room went spinning hard. I was supposed to get up and walk on a walker and then I could go home. That didn't work. The next morning I was fine. Walked to the toilet, took a dump and got back into bed. The staff and PT geeks were surprised that I got up on my own.
Two nights ten tears ago after a roto-rooter on my prostate. I'm 77 now. That's it so far.
3 in the last month. ended with the doc beating the crap out of me and me having to take 6 weeks off work.

I know one thing this neck brace is borderline insanity.
Posted By: mikieb Re: Nights Spent in a Hospital? - 05/27/20
Originally Posted by FatCity67
None ever. 53years. I, guessing thats gonna change in the next 20.

Same here... 56 y/o with out an over night stay.... hec.... even for my apendex, I was in at 7am and out the door by 1530...

But... the next 20 are gonna be expensive.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Nights Spent in a Hospital? - 05/27/20
69 yo, zip for me.
Sat in chair next to son 25 years ago when he had serious abdominal pain. Was scheduled for appendix removal in morn. He woke up, no pain. We left and never was an issue again.
About 4 weeks one time, a week another and 4 or 5 times just overnight. all when I was younger from injurys.
Posted By: DaveR Re: Nights Spent in a Hospital? - 05/27/20
Just a few nights. Enough to know I don't like it. Before that I thought it might be like a little forced relaxation. Just laze around for a few days, watch TV, and do nothing, have people bring you food and drink. Ha.

Then one day I had some symptoms indicating a possible heart issue, and went to the local urgent care. Two ambulance rides and two hospitals later.... Three days later walked out with a new stent, and pretty exhausted. Constantly being woken up, if not by staff, then from all the sensor pads, bp cuff, and IV pulling at all parts of my body. Or the bed which moved 24/7 to prevent bed sores. Or the constant poking of the IV needle in the crook of the arm.

I was quite happy to get the hell out of there, and practically begged them to let me go home on the last night when they were considering keeping me one more night.

Saw enough that I'm thankful to have UCLA as my health care provider. The 1st night in the hospital at the local Cedars-Sinai is not an experience I ever wish to repeat. Colossal difference at UCLA. While not comfortable by any means, much better. Tremendous staff and facilities.

I am not looking forward to the days which are surely coming where the stays are longer and I'm not in as good of shape to handle how uncomfortable it is.

I don't think anyone "rests comfortably" in a hospital unless they're knocked out on drugs.

two major knee surgeries, one night each.
1991- 5 nights in Jan

-22 in May
-5 in June
-2 september
-4 october
26 in November

Posted By: efw Re: Nights Spent in a Hospital? - 05/27/20
I think as a very young kid (toddler?) I had a respiring issue that kept me in for monitoring. I think I was in an oxygenated tent maybe?

I can’t remember and my parents are gone but I recall hearing about that.

Other than that I’m blessed to have only spent nights in hospitals voluntarily when loved ones needed me.

I’m 45 yo.
42 nights this past spring. Before that a couple of single over nighters.
Nearly a month in Methodist Hospital in Houston in 1958, I was 8 years old and had exploratory craniotomy to look for a possible tumor. None was found.

None since.
Spent almost two weeks in a hospital in May of 2003. Had to have a brain operation after they spent years figuring out what they had to do to fix it. The operation was exactly 17 years ago today. Got out a few days later and that was it except for a couple follow up visits to the surgeon. Recently turned 70 and that's the only hospital time unless you count that I was born in one.
One night in May ‘69 in DaNang and another in Gainesville about 5 years back. Round eye nurses in DaNang, a squint in G’ville...
Posted By: old70 Re: Nights Spent in a Hospital? - 05/27/20
Hernia surgery and H1N1, neither was bad. For the hernia, I was taking a lap of the ward and an older (much) female nurse patted my rear through the gown and commented on it. Nice to be appreciated, but that was a different time. For the H1N1, they kept pumping IV fluid into me and it kept running out, couldn’t seem to stay hydrated. They sent me home the next day and it took me about 8 days to recover.

Old70
Posted By: RickyD Re: Nights Spent in a Hospital? - 05/27/20
I've been in a few times. Nothing life threatening. Mostly to fix structural damage.
Posted By: krp Re: Nights Spent in a Hospital? - 05/27/20
2 nights, 10 years ago when I was 52, broke my leg bad on an elk hunt, hypothermia was the most concern the first night, had surgery the next day to repair the leg.

Doc said I would never work construction again and to bring paperwork for SSI, I hobbled out and my wife said, he doesn't know you... was on the job site 3 months later hobbling around and was 75% after the first year.

Kent
Posted By: Otter Re: Nights Spent in a Hospital? - 05/27/20
2 nights after a sub-taylor dislocation of my right foot - playing volleyball and came down wrong, 4th of July, 1982.
2 nights after having tonsils and uvula removed in 1995.
2 nights with hernia and mesh surgery in 1999.
1 night with pancreatitis in 2002.
2 nights in 2004 with another round of pancreatitis.
2 nights after stomach surgery in 2008.

That's it so far but at 68, I fear there are a few more ahead of me.
I'm 71 & have only spent 1 night in incarceration. I was in jr high when I got tossed off a horse in my head. Whether I had lasting injuries is still being debated.
They removed your uvula? I have a partial cleft uvula, birth defect.
Posted By: las Re: Nights Spent in a Hospital? - 05/27/20
Stepped on a barnyard nail when about 3. went right through.

I think 3 nights. I'm pushing 71 now.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Nights Spent in a Hospital? - 05/27/20
40 years old and never spent a night in the hospital or had any type of surgery for that matter.
61 Here.
None. I've been blessed and lucky!
I played a lot of competitive Hockey and came out with 6 stitches, 2 sore knees, 2 sore hands, and assorted other aches and pains. I was a slalom and barefoot waterskier until almost 50, and played most every sport as a kid. I was always very lucky! I was always involved in fairly high risk activities and always somehow avoided serious injury. I try to never complain about normal aches and pains of growing older and paying for the sins of my youth.
I can not imagine all the pain and suffering some have been through......
Originally Posted by wabigoon
As a patient? I've been lucky, only two. The first, one night, and heart scare, the second, when they put a stent in my heart.

Did you count the one night for your lobotomy ? laugh
Posted By: EdM Re: Nights Spent in a Hospital? - 05/27/20
One night when I was five in 1967 after hernia surgery.
Originally Posted by las
Stepped on a barnyard nail when about 3. went right through.

I think 3 nights. I'm pushing 71 now.

Which way are you pushing it?
wink
Posted By: HughW Re: Nights Spent in a Hospital? - 05/27/20
Quite a few - As toddler / youth a month + with polio, 4 days with a bad concussion from hockey --- As an adult a week in an infection control ICU for something I caught at work, 2 days with shoulder / knee operations, 4 days for a lump removed from my spine, 2 days for hand surgery, a couple of nights with ticker issues, 2 nights with Achilles tendon surgery --- overall I was looked after well and was glad to leave. Seen quite a few people in worse shape especially from polio.

With the Hospital post infection bugs floating around now they are good places to stay away from.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Nights Spent in a Hospital? - 05/27/20
One night in a hospital in England, I was 6.........

One ambulance ride to Juneau Hosp., undiagnosed gastro event........ ????

For the price they billed I should have had lights and sirens, but alas NONE.... Leaving the dock, wheeled out on a gurney, the EMTs told everyone that it was a shark attack!!

PS: Travel insurance paid every dollar not covered by BCBS....... AND reimbursed both me and the missus for two missed days of a cruise.... me 'cause I was out, her 'cause I was out!?!?!?
1986 27 days,1987 23 days,1988 21 days,1997 8 days,2018 14 days.

Out of all of these the last was the worst,even waking up and being paralyzed was not as bad as losing 57 lbs.
in 14 days.

I told them if i was going to be this miserable to let me go home and get better or die.

It took me 2 weeks before i could walk to the front porch.

Still have not gained my weight back,can't seem to get out of the 160's.
Since moving to the Texas Hill Country I've had more friggin' surgeries than I care for. The two most serious landed me in the hospital. Emergency gall bladder surgery after an attack while at the lease 247 miles and 5 hours from home. I thought I could tough it out for the weekend and its a good thing I didn't try. The doc said I might not have made it had I not had my partner drive me back. GF took me to the ER and finally had to tell them that I was having chest pains and then they took me in real fast. Hooked me up to an EKG and I was like WTF, its not my chest that hurts. They didn't take my gall bladder out until Saturday afternoon. For an emergency surgery they sure took their damn time. That got me two nights.

I had to have hip replacement surgery in June of 2018. I should have only stayed one night, but they made me stay two because I had some kind of reaction to the pain meds. When the PT saw I was drooling like an idiot he asked me if I was ok and I remember shaking my head no and then being manhandled back into my bed. That surgery got me two nights.
Woke up with a J tube shoved down my piehole early Aug 2003 at the CASH on the airfield in Mosul.
Pretty unsettling trying to breathe and a having docs pull that outta ya outta the blue.

1 night.

Everything else been day procedure type of schit.
Even the mylar staple procedure on my LS diaphragm from above being medevaced back ta campbell for 90 days.

My little Bro/ best friend Slumlord the past 4 yrs.
Has gone thru operations , procedures, treatments ect ect ect.
That your average person cant imagine .
JMO..

Probably the toughest man I have ever met able to endure pain .
I have seen some fugged up schit .
Most of it are injuries people just dont see ever.
Most of these people injured are running on a adrenalin high from the event prior too or directly from the injury sustained.
Then ya got the shock factor setting in afterwards.

People undegoing medical planned painful med procedures dont have the brief benefit most of the time with adrenaline overriding pain for x amount of time.

Some of the things he has had done to him in the name of med procedures are out right torture in my thinking.

He is a tough person.

I dont even think you could waterboard him for info, cause he knows the procedure has to end eventually.
And would laugh and tell the people they aint got schitt on docs who conduct legal torture.
Been in a few times. First was when I had my tonsils yanked. Of course I got really sick after the surgery and spent some time there for that. Second and third times were for concussions incurred while racing snowmobiles. I was chasing one of those danged Cats into a turn and he blew a stud off his track. Hit me square between the eyes on the top edge of my helmet. I went off the back of the sled and was bounced around pretty good. Woke up a day or so later in the hospital. The other time I was walking across the infield of a track, slipped on the ice, and the next thing I knew it was a day later and I was in a hospital. My brother told me the nurse assigned to me was a real "Yeah Baby" but I can't remember her at all. The last time I spent time in the hospital was about 6 years ago when I had Congestive Heart Failure. No fun whatsoever.
Just got out last week.... did 15 days for pancreatitis..... my first and hopefully last for a long long time.
Too many.

My encounter with vibrio was a few days.

Then 5 days in ICU when I had my heart procedure.

I figure any day I wake up outside a hospital is a good one.
Posted By: Otter Re: Nights Spent in a Hospital? - 05/27/20
Originally Posted by hardway
Just got out last week.... did 15 days for pancreatitis..... my first and hopefully last for a long long time.

Pancreatitis is a lot of fun, ain't it? My first bout I had zero idea what was inside trying to come out my navel. Second one, my doctor (different doc since we moved) thought it was my appendix, I was able to convince him otherwise. No recurrence since,

I, too, hope it is your last one!
Three nights for my first knee surgery in 1979. Six nights for my heart attack in 2002. Wasn't supposed to live through that. Three nights for left knee replacement. Three nights for right knee replacement. Knee replacements were in 2009. Didn't do them both at the same time. One night this past January for a retread on the left knee.

And, probably not the last.
Two overnighters as a kid.
Would be outpatient stuff now.

Had two outpatient deals about twenty yrs ago.

Spine and shoulder stuff not gonna be fun
Posted By: okie Re: Nights Spent in a Hospital? - 05/27/20
Six nights in January with 360 back surgery was the longest. That's enough for me...The surgery wasw tough but the bad part was they would come by every 30 minutes and poke more pils down me. Day two I got sick as a lizard eating cat and turned down all those meds they were poking at me. Throwing up with stitches front and back is high entertainment. After my bowels woke up I was able to eat again but never did take all those meds they threw at me. Opioids were the worst part too....
Posted By: RJL53 Re: Nights Spent in a Hospital? - 05/28/20
Originally Posted by super T
Two nights ten tears ago after a roto-rooter on my prostate. I'm 77 now. That's it so far.

That hurts just reading it.
Posted By: rong Re: Nights Spent in a Hospital? - 05/28/20
Never an overnight,but have had a few "repairs " done.
Hernia,kidney stone,and Tortion,,,,look that one up and get back to me if it doesn't make you cringe.
Had it twice,second time they had to throw a few stitches in so it should never happen again.
All +all not too bad for 55
Last fall 10 days. First hospital couldn't figure it out. Transferred me to another. Finally discharged me with no results ( I bitched alot) .

My provider got a hold of me a couple days later saying I had 2 fungal infections and put me in touch with infectious diseases.

That test result sat for 10 days and it took my primary who finally got the results to figure it out. I was pissed.
63 years old........8 nights.....4 different instances
Besides the time between being born and Mom taking me home? One, Halloween 2012 after surgery to repair a torn disk in my neck.
One when I had my prostate extricated and one when I stayed with the wife after a surgery she had.

Probably a couple right after birth. I was the first one of my siblings born in a hospital. That's a little fuzzy though...

Aged 67.5 years so far.
Posted By: 358WCF Re: Nights Spent in a Hospital? - 05/28/20
Way, way, way too many. It's almost all broken stuff from being in the wrong place at the right time.

Me good foot is on the bad leg.

If I was a dog they'd call me Lucky, if I was a cat I'd be on the last life..

After one injury it was about 50% of the time for about 3 years... in & out, in & out. Most of the steel is out now. It was over 40 years ago for that one.

I could be the 6 million $$ man if it wasn't for lousy HMOs.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Nights Spent in a Hospital? - 05/28/20
35 maybe 40 days/nights..
One night when I was about 5 years old for my tonsil removal then one night about 3 years ago when I had a hip replaced. All the other orthopedic work has been in and out the same day.
not one night. 70 years old. i take no meds and am in great health. i get a full physical every year and my doc tells me to keep doing what i'm doing. i am the most blessed man i know. God is so good.
Since I've been born, age 59, - one night for a 'false flag' heart attack.
45 years old.

Never have spent a night in the hospital as a patient. Have never had a broken bone. Had 3 stitches when I was a toddler.

That, despite some incredibly stupid chit I did in my youth, and in college. Plus hunting, plus mountain biking, plus rock climbing.....

Probably luck more than anything.
Seventy three here. Never.
Horse kick in '74 - the doc's thought I had a ruptured spleen - 1 night - just broken ribs.
~ '75, they thought I had a bleeding ulcer - 1 night and go home.
Few nights on a hospital couch/bed when "The Warden" was hospitalized for chemo, the last go-round.
I can NOT recommend hospitals for an overnight stay.
Difficult to say completely. I'll start in 2015. My second spinal fusion. Now L4, L5, and S1 are all fused. Stayed about a week. December 1917. Robotic surgery for kidney cancer. Portion of right kidney and lymph nodes removed. Stayed week or so. Sept 2018 prostate cancer surgery. 10 days or so. Nov 2018 partial colonectomy. Colon cancer. Luckily I had a little extra colon to spare. Had 2 internal infections, one was MRSA. Stayed 13 days. June 2019 major hernia repair from damage caused by other surgeries. Stayed I think 8 days.

Then further back some time for those two wrecks with hi level concussions, the first spinal fusion surgery, the hardware removal surgery on my spine, and the ruptured appendix I drove 200 miles with cause I was trying to finish a job before driving home to see my doc about that "ulser".

Other than that I'm all original. Just like I came from the factory.
A few nights with my wife when the kids were born.

I spent about 18 hours in one when my appendix spit the bit.
Back in the 80s when I was a teen everytime I had knee surgery they kept me a week or more. My acl was 9 days in the hospital in about 87.

I had my appendix out in Johannesburg in 1994 and they tried to keep me in the ward room with about a dozen guys for a week. I pulled my IV after about 2 days and walked to a friend's house.

I've probably done 25 nights in a hospital between 5 knee surgeries, appendix, and back surgery.

Bb
1999: Ruptured appendix. 14-days

2013: Liver transplant. Another 14-days.
In 1975 I had torn cartilage in my knee repaired and they kept me in the hospital for 7 days. Carpal tunnel on both hands in 1978, in for 3 days. Another torn meniscus in the other knee in 1982 for 3 days. Reconstructive jaw surgery in 1990 for 3 days. Flash forward to 2017. January right knee total replacement and March left knee total replacement. Both of these were out patient. At the surgery center at 5:30am for a 7am surgery each time. By 12:30pm I was home watching my own TV. Funny how times have changed in the medical field.

Ron
One Of my earliest memories is riding in an ambulance in England, about 1959 or 1960, critically high fever. I remember the cramped vintage inside of the ambulance and the two guys wearing their uniform caps and uniforms and that the siren of the ambulance was a bell. Pretty sure that’s when I ended up having my tonsils out, which was a cure-all back then.

Then here in the ‘States I was hospitalized for three or four nights age 14 when my appendix almost burst. Now they do it through your navel, back then it was a big old Frankenstein scar up your abdomen. I’d do it all again to get more sponge baths from that same nurse 🙂
Had my appendix out when I was 12 that was a day or two. Got T-boned by a 60's vintage Lincoln, that was a day. Woke up in a military hospital back in the 60's but no idea how long I'd been there and was so happy I was alive I didn't care.
© 24hourcampfire