Home
Posted By: TERRY8mm rattler - 05/28/20
One of my younger brothers just killed a timer rattler. I killed one a week ago both about 3 ft. Me a .38 shot shell, him, a Stihl.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm
One of my younger brothers just killed a timer rattler. I killed one a week ago both about 3 ft. Me a .38 shot shell, him, a Stihl.

Not protected in your state, are they?

If they are, you may want to consider the 3 S's and not let the internet know.
Posted By: JeffA Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Where I have been clearing land in Florida as of recent there has been a lot of homeless snakes wandering about.
Mostly Black and Corn snakes but I had one of the largest Pygmy Rattlers I ever seen toolin' through the front yard the other evening. I picked him up with a pool cue and sat him over in some brush, he went on his way.......
Posted By: MAC Re: rattler - 05/28/20

Not a fan of killing just for the sake of killing. Were the snakes a threat to you? Were they a threat to anyone else? Or did you just kill them for the sake of killing them so you can post here like a "big" man? I just looked up timber rattlers in KY. This is what I found:

"Timber Rattlesnakes are a true sign of wilderness. In Kentucky, these secretive and nonaggressive animals most frequently occur in areas with low human population densities. Because of their rarity, Timber Rattlesnakes are considered a “Species of Greatest Conservation Need” by Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources."

Somehow I don't think a KY game warden would be thrilled with you admitting that your family killed two of them.
Posted By: GeoW Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Venomous critters and myself will not occupy the same space..

g
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Ol boy must have dropped that Stihl on that rattler. Surely it wasn't running when he killed it! laugh
Posted By: Poconojack Re: rattler - 05/28/20

I’ve gotten soft in my old age, actually feel sorry for animals and really don’t care to kill anymore. That said, I still chase trophy Whitetail bucks here in PA and NY as that’s what I’ve done for the last 50+ years.

Rattlesnakes are protected in KY, it’s illegal to kill or harm one.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Fug a venomous snake. They can all die.

You have not lived until you grab a bale of hay to toss onto lthe wagon, only to discover a rattler dangling wi
from the bottom of the bale with his head a few inches from your nuts,

Or step out onto the front deck to find a rattler basking in the sun, or kick one out while mowing the lawn.

If they want to live, they can keep their ass in the wilderness, and out of the cow pastures or yards.
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: rattler - 05/28/20
The one I shot struck at my wife as she potted flowers the one brother got was striking at his leg as he cut weeds

oh ! Maac! esad

FYI! we do live in the boonies, not a post to feel big, maybe 2 other brothers on here will know rattlers are around our Mom as she gardens.
Posted By: jimone Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Should of relocated to local Pandemocat HQ.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Rattle snakes and coyotes rarely get a pass when we cross paths. Hasbeen
Posted By: 12344mag Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Originally Posted by GeoW
Venomous critters and myself will not occupy the same space..

g

When they go around people sooner or later they're probably going to be a problem. We don't get much for venomous snakes around here but when we do.........
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: rattler - 05/28/20
I thought this was going to be another "where are they now" thread.

I am grateful I no longer share a habitat with the damned things.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Fug a venomous snake. They can all die.

You have not lived until you grab a bale of hay to toss onto lthe wagon, only to discover a rattler dangling wi
from the bottom of the bale with his head a few inches from your nuts,

Or step out onto the front deck to find a rattler basking in the sun, or kick one out while mowing the lawn.

If they want to live, they can keep their ass in the wilderness, and out of the cow pastures or yards.

This^^^^^^^^^^^ in triple spades.

MM
Fine I'll call fish and game to come and catch all of them, sue the bastards if one of us gets bitten.
Posted By: ingwe Re: rattler - 05/28/20
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: stxhunter Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Casio,timex?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Casio,timex?

According to some of the previous posts, they must all be Rolex.
The one I shot struck at my wife as she potted flowers the one brother got was striking at his leg as he cut weeds

oh ! Maac! esad

FYI! we do live in the boonies, not a post to feel big, maybe 2 other brothers on here will know rattlers are around our Mom as she gardens.

Glad no one got hurt........except some snakes that is.
Posted By: gunzo Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Originally Posted by ingwe

I wondered so I looked, and,
Looking at some of Terry's past post, he'd probably like help from of the multiple strokes he's had.

Kill the damn things Terry. Not illegal in Ky. from what I could read.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: rattler - 05/28/20
I know they're native to this area, but I've never seen one. I'd like to,..as long as it was from a reasonable distance.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Killed this copperhead last night when I took the dogs out.

Bailey jumped back as soon as she saw it. Good dog, Bailey! smile

Both dogs are snake trained. It's just good to know they still pay heed.

As a side note, I carried it to the fish pond this morning, and threw it in. It floated for about 15 seconds, and then Wham! It was gone.

Pretty good size snake for a fish. But there's some pretty big fish in my pond. wink
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: rattler - 05/28/20
My only problem is when I suddenly notice them from a close range. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: crshelton Re: rattler - 05/28/20
"Rattle snakes and coyotes rarely get a pass when we cross paths"

This is a common sentiment in Texas and many other Western states.
If a person grows up in a city and does not hunt or fish, he /she may say "oh, do not hurt the little snake", but if the opposite, all poisonous snakes are just problems waiting to happen. Ditto for scorpions and a few other of God's less popular creatures!

Too many campfire tales to tell now, but those that have "been there done that" know of what I speak.
Posted By: hanco Re: rattler - 05/28/20
I don’t kill them anymore. I move them if they are around my house.
Posted By: eric1186 Re: rattler - 05/28/20
The only rattler I like...

Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Why don't you snake worshippers post your mailing addresses, so we can box up the next one alive and frisky, and send It to you?
Jerry
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Ol boy must have dropped that Stihl on that rattler. Surely it wasn't running when he killed it! laugh

Snakes don't run
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

Snakes don't run

Stihls do.
Posted By: J4Me Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

As a side note, I carried it to the fish pond this morning, and threw it in. It floated for about 15 seconds, and then Wham! It was gone.

Pretty good size snake for a fish. But there's some pretty big fish in my pond. wink

What revolver is that?
Posted By: JeffA Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Originally Posted by crshelton

If a person grows up in a city and does not hunt or fish, he /she may say "oh, do not hurt the little snake", but if the opposite, all poisonous snakes are just problems waiting to happen. Ditto for scorpions and a few other of God's less popular creatures!

Too many campfire tales to tell now, but those that have "been there done that" know of what I speak.

I grew up beating through the swamps of south and central Florida.
Cottonmouth Water Moccasins, Rattlers and Coral Snakes have been always abundant let alone a host of non-venomous snakes.
I've killed my share for various reasons but not just cause they were there.

I'm just comfortable with them, they don't bother me, I don't bother them. It's not like they head out to hunt you down just to bite ya...
If that was the case we'd have all been bitten a lot by now.

I could careless if the next guy wants to kill every snake he see's, I just don't.
I had a dog that would kill one on occasion, it's pretty cool to watch a dog that knows how the deal with a snake. Smart dogs seem to naturally know which end is the sharp one, they'll just grab them by the tail and sling them around slapping their heads on the ground til they are dead.

I just cleared a couple of adjoining acres of land that has been thick with brush for years. The clearing project has coincided with a few of the hottest days so far this year. It's water front land so there is a lot of rodents and rabbits and such that's been calling that place home for a long time. Between the Snakes and Owls and even the Bob Cats that hang out, everything seems to stay in check population wise, a nifty little ecosystem.

I've seen them around over the years, they like to slither out into perimeters of my yard on cooler days to cop some sun and warm up, there are a couple of black snakes that live under the house, they like the concrete porches on the house. They do their job, I just let um be...

With the land clearing and the heat, these buggers are active as hell right now, I've seen about 10 over the last couple days, only one, the Pygmy Rattler, that was venomous. Now they are moving on, looking for new digs, they'll find their way.
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by crshelton

I grew up beating through the swamps of south and central Florida.
Cottonmouth Water Moccasins, Rattlers and Coral Snakes have been always abundant let alone a host of non-venomous snakes.
I've killed my share for various reasons but not just cause they were there.

I'm just comfortable with them, they don't bother me, I don't bother them. It's not like they head out to hunt you down just to bite ya...
If that was the case we'd have all been bitten a lot by now.

I could careless if the next guy wants to kill every snake he see's, I just don't.
I had a dog that would kill one on occasion, it's pretty cool to watch a dog that knows how the deal with a snake. Smart dogs seem to naturally know which end is the sharp one, they'll just grab them by the tail and sling them around slapping their heads on the ground til they are dead.

I just cleared a couple of adjoining acres of land that has been thick with brush for years. The clearing project has coincided with a few of the hottest days so far this year. It's water front land so there is a lot of rodents and rabbits and such that's been calling that place home for a long time. Between the Snakes and Owls and even the Bob Cats that hang out, everything seems to stay in check population wise, a nifty little ecosystem.

I've seen them around over the years, they like to slither out into perimeters of my yard on cooler days to cop some sun and warm up, there are a couple of black snakes that live under the house, they like the concrete porches on the house. They do their job, I just let um be...

With the land clearing and the heat, these buggers are active as hell right now, I've seen about 10 over the last couple days, only one, the Pygmy Rattler, that was venomous. Now they are moving on, looking for new digs, they'll find their way.

Seems you're a like minded individual. Most snakes get a pass around any place I've lived, if they're not a danger to the wife or dogs. The non-venomous always live, the rattlers not always. Sometimes they become dinner.

Jeff, you may want to watch using that "ecosystem" word around these parts. It might get some folks upset.
I called the conservation officer and he came by, said if they are in the yard they be mine.
The big issue is people who catch them for pets or to sell to the holy rollers.
Originally Posted by J4Me

What revolver is that?

Ruger Wrangler. .22lr.

Got it at Academy for $199.

Got it for a dedicated snake shot gun. Keep it loaded w/ CCI shotshells and just inside the door of the shop in case quick access is needed. (It's needed several times a year here. Don't know how many copperheads I've killed here, but it's a bunch.)
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Originally Posted by MAC

Somehow I don't think a KY game warden would be thrilled with you admitting that your family killed two of them.

Somehow, I don't think you know any KY game wardens.
Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Originally Posted by J4Me

What revolver is that?

Ruger Wrangler. .22lr.

Got it at Academy for $199.

Got it for a dedicated snake shot gun. Keep it loaded w/ CCI shotshells and just inside the door of the shop in case quick access is needed. (It's needed several times a year here. Don't know how many copperheads I've killed here, but it's a bunch.)

That's what I thought that was! Nice lil revolver. I have to get one of them.
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

That's what I thought that was! Nice lil revolver. I have to get one of them.

Heck ya!

Can't beat it for the price!

It is solid, locks up tight, and shoots accurately with HP ammo too.

I really need to get a couple more. Need one for the new house, and some equipment I'm running when prone to see something that needs killin'.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: rattler - 05/28/20

Damn, Barry. Glad your dogs are trained. That could have been a bad night, indeed.

Cool story on the fish pond.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Dead snake = good snake.
Got mrs. Robin back this year again.
Wife and daughter begged me to stop wiping out her nest.
The babies are just sooooo cute.
She is on her 2nd clutch this year.
Just a matter of time, nights getting warmer.
Take the dogs out for a whizz and one will be over my head on the porch once again.... ad nasuem for past 2 mrs robin years....
Machete and co2 pistol ready to go.

Wont bother with an ID attempt this year .
Let all the herpitologist on here ID the dead POS for me.

LOL!!!
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Snakes don't run

Stihls do.

That's debatable. Husky!
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Damn, Barry. Glad your dogs are trained. That could have been a bad night, indeed.

Cool story on the fish pond.

Bandit got copperhead bitten on the side of the face when he was a pup. He was too young to learn the training. Now he won't even get close when I say "Snake!" grin

I don't have any rattlers here, but some ranches I shred do. I always kill them too.

This was a big boy. About 6'.

Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Originally Posted by MAC

Not a fan of killing just for the sake of killing. Were the snakes a threat to you? Were they a threat to anyone else? Or did you just kill them for the sake of killing them so you can post here like a "big" man? I just looked up timber rattlers in KY. This is what I found:

"Timber Rattlesnakes are a true sign of wilderness. In Kentucky, these secretive and nonaggressive animals most frequently occur in areas with low human population densities. Because of their rarity, Timber Rattlesnakes are considered a “Species of Greatest Conservation Need” by Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources."

Come on up here, spend a summer logging on one of our
little mountains.

First thing in the morning, you need to check the oil in the
equipment. Just walk on over there. Through the busted up bark
and snaggs. Don't worry about what might be in there.
Just reach in that engine bay, grab that dipstick. Something
might grab you back.

After you have spent some time thinking about almost every move you
make, and how you make it, sometime, you will start killing them.

A friend couldn't let his garage door up if it was warm out.
Especially in the spring, fall, or at night. Timber rattlers
would come in. He killed them.

Imagine working around your house, and being concerned about every
step, looking all around everything you wanted to pick up.

If they aren't near people, I'm glad they are there.
Otherwise, I get rid of them.
Posted By: gunzo Re: rattler - 05/28/20
Snakes that startle me/you aside.

Dangerous, poisonous snakes to me are like the person that threatens you, or tries to kill you or yours. You may avoid it or stop it. But it will/can re-occur. It may be, or is, just the snakes way, same as a villain. Same as a psychopath. There are many, but eliminating one at a time is a start.

A scene in open range where Kevin Costner is going to kill a wounded aggressor as he(Costner) refused to look over his shoulder the rest of his life for repercussions from the aggressor. Now, a poisonous snake does not seek revenge, but left in place it is still a danger plain & simple. Failure to realize this will eventually..........Get you bit.

Kindly remove it from your yard? It comes back later & bites a young child, even you. Not good. The snake does not recognize getting a pass.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: rattler - 05/29/20
Originally Posted by gunzo
Snakes that startle me/you aside.

Dangerous, poisonous snakes to me are like the person or dog that threatens you, or tries to kill you or yours. You may avoid it or stop it. But it will/can re-occur. It may be, or is, just the snakes way, same as a villain. Same as a psychopath. There are many, but eliminating one at a time is a start.

A scene in open range where Kevin Costner is going to kill a wounded aggressor as he(Costner) refused to look over his shoulder the rest of his life for repercussions from the aggressor. Now, a poisonous snake does not seek revenge, but left in place it is still a danger plain & simple. Failure to realize this will eventually..........Get you bit.

Kindly remove it from your yard? It comes back later & bites a young child, even you. Not good. The snake does not recognize getting a pass.

Added a bit.
Posted By: JeffA Re: rattler - 05/29/20
A lot of folks have a lot of fears
Posted By: Sbrown Re: rattler - 05/29/20
Have no use for a buzz worm!! Kill them all!
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: rattler - 05/29/20
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Snakes don't run

Stihls do.

That's debatable. Husky!

DANG it !!!!!!!!!!!

You beat me to it !!!
Posted By: rayporter Re: rattler - 05/29/20

doctor livestock and pets all the time. and lost a good pup 2 years ago. day before yesterday had to take this one to the vet, fangs were an inch apart and she was in bad shape.
doc said it was a big one. said if she is alive in the morning she will make it.

i carry a 22 mag all summer with the first 2 up shot shells. no fangs and they can party in the barn for all i care.

any of you snake lovers want to pay the vet bill?

Posted By: chlinstructor Re: rattler - 05/29/20
Rattlesnakes don’t get a pass here at the Ranch. They get a massive dose of 12 gauge.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: rattler - 05/29/20
Originally Posted by MAC

I wonder if these folks would agree with you.
Toddler killed by rattlesnake
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: rattler - 05/29/20
Originally Posted by rayporter

doctor livestock and pets all the time. and lost a good pup 2 years ago. day before yesterday had to take this one to the vet, fangs were an inch apart and she was in bad shape.
doc said it was a big one. said if she is alive in the morning she will make it.

i carry a 22 mag all summer with the first 2 up shot shells. no fangs and they can party in the barn for all i care.

any of you snake lovers want to pay the vet bill?

I hope your dog turns out alright.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: rattler - 05/29/20

Usually there isn't any doubt what about happens to rattlesnakes around here, but I'm not sure what happened to this little guy. I think I stepped on him crossing a gravel parking lot. This was near Raton, New Mexico several years ago. I walked back to my truck in a path I had just taken a few minutes before and there he was all dead and limp. There had been no car or truck traffic in a while. I don't have any idea what kind of rattlesnake it is. Maybe some of you guys that live out in those parts can identify him.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: RDW Re: rattler - 05/29/20
Originally Posted by Mathsr

Usually there isn't any doubt what about happens to rattlesnakes around here, but I'm not sure what happened to this little guy. I think I stepped on him crossing a gravel parking lot. This was near Raton, New Mexico several years ago. I walked back to my truck in a path I had just taken a few minutes before and there he was all dead and limp. There had been no car or truck traffic in a while. I don't have any idea what kind of rattlesnake it is. Maybe some of you guys that live out in those parts can identify him.

Looks like a Massasauga, we caught a lot of WDB in the Midland/Odessa area but only one Massasauga in 7 years of hunting.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: rattler - 05/29/20
Old ppl say,

See one rattle snake, they’ll be another later.

I’ve seen that. Kill one. Day or so later. Another one will be moving thru within feet of that one.

Guess it mating.
Also,

My dad has a rescue dog. Part lab. Part something. Dog was beat when puppy. Shy around ppl still. Lets the gyp take his food.

He’ll go crazy over s snake. Points it out.

See Max acting a certain way. It’s a snake.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: rattler - 05/29/20
Originally Posted by MAC

I like rattlers which are dead.

You ever kill a mosquito just for the pure D hell, thrill, and fun of it.

There is more thrill in killing a rattler, shark or gator gar.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Rattlesnakes don’t get a pass here at the Ranch. They get a massive dose of 12 gauge.

I missed the Rattlesnake Koolaid Class in 4th grade and have seen what one can do to to a good coon, bird, or cow dog.

Old rancher told me if it dont bite you one of its kids will.

He had more close calls than you have fingers and a big divot hole in his shoulder.

Prairie rattler markings. Those I step on by accident and then stomp on purpose usually wiggle around quite a while. Roaches dont.
Originally Posted by jimone
Should of relocated to local Pandemocat HQ.

Hehehe.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: rattler - 05/29/20
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I missed the Rattlesnake Koolaid Class in 4th grade and have seen what one can do to to a good coon, bird, or cow dog.

Old rancher told me if it dont bite you one of its kids will.

He had more close calls than you have fingers and a big divot hole in his shoulder.

GrandDad’s little sister was killed by a Rattlesnake snake when she was 5. Bit her right in the Jugular vain. Died withun a few minutes. He was 7 at the time.
He’d stop the pickup or tractor wherever he was and go out of his way to kill one.
Rattlers still rattle?

While back. Heard one in the woods. That’s how,loud it was in dry leaves.

Big. Wish still had a pic.

Never rattled.
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: rattler - 05/29/20
Luckily most of my work area doesnt have timber rattlers, although the lower section of my area does as well as cottonmouths. I hate this time of year when we get a call about a failed pipe or problem with a bridge. The rains we've been having has caused a bunch of such issues and today as I stepped off the asphalt to walk down a slope a damn banded snake of some sort took off a couple feet in front of me. I'm thinking it was a banded water snake as most copperhead I have seen were not this fast and will try to lay low and hide. That was the last stop for the day for me...made the 4th snake I saw. They are out and about now.
Originally Posted by JeffA
A lot of folks have a lot of fears

I dont fear rattlers. I kill them. I dont fear flies or mosquitoes either.
The story concerns a farmer who finds a viper freezing in the snow. Taking pity on it, he picks it up and places it within his coat. The viper, revived by the warmth, bites his rescuer, who dies realizing that it is his own fault. The story is recorded in both Greek and Latin sources. In the former, the farmer dies reproaching himself "for pitying a scoundrel," while in the version by Phaedrus the snake says that he bit his benefactor "to teach the lesson not to expect a reward from the wicked." The latter sentiment is made the moral in Medieval versions of the fable. Odo of Cheriton's snake answers the farmer's demand for an explanation with a counter-question, "Did you not know that there is enmity and natural antipathy between your kind and mine? Did you not know that a serpent in the bosom, a mouse in a bag and fire in a barn give their hosts an ill reward?"[2] In modern times the fable has been applied in the religious sphere to teach that if one participates in unrighteous activities one is not immune to harm.[3]
Posted By: deerstalker Re: rattler - 05/29/20
Originally Posted by hanco
I don’t kill them anymore. I move them if they are around my house.

i don't kill them anymore either... just till they are dead..... graveyard dead.
i am thankful we don't have them here. we do have garter snakes and they still make me qualify for the high jump Olympics when i stumble on one. saw one baking in the sun today. close to 3 foot. almost went for my 410.
Posted By: Lennie Re: rattler - 05/29/20
Posted By: TheKid Re: rattler - 05/29/20

That little SOB looks like the one I saw on the road the other night. I hopped out to take a look at him and as soon as I was close enough to see he was a rattler, probably 6’ away, he struck at me and hightailed it into the Johnson grass. I never even had a chance to shoot his head off.

I did shoot a little diamondback last Sunday evening out at the ranch. He wasn’t acting mean but was too close to the cabin where we picnic every Sunday. My grandparents are hard of hearing and my 4 year old son is always playing around there, no place for venomous snakes.
Posted By: drover Re: rattler - 05/29/20
old saying that applies to me -

There's only 4 kinds of snakes I am scared of - Big ones and litle ones and Live ones and dead ones.

I have been scared of snakes all my life and have tried to kill everyone I see..

I was down in NM this spring out in the desert doing some shooting, the area where I standing was clear of underbrush or any cover whatsoever, my friend says I hear something odd behind us, I looked around and there was a 4 ft rattler about 6 ft away and he was heading towards us with mouth open and rattles going. Needless to say that is where he stayed. I have no idea why he was on the prod we had not been anywhere close to where he came from - maybe he was challenging us for occupation of his territory, well it is his forever now. I had my 8 shot Sig 1911-22 and he ate every one of those hollowpoints.

dover
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: rattler - 05/29/20
mouth open you say.... lmao
Posted By: ingwe Re: rattler - 05/29/20
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
mouth open you say.... lmao

Yeah, this stuff is GREAT!
© 24hourcampfire