Home
I've had a couple inquiries on whether there will be one this year.

Initially I figured no with all the crap going on, not sure about the social restrictions and whatnot... I do know the forests are prohibiting fires, charcoal, they have reopened and so far the highcountry forests still allow target shooting while the lower ones like the Tonto have banned shooting except to hunt.

Dennis is gone for the summer working in alaska.

Let's see if there is any real interest before going forward with plans, it would have to be end of July to early august to accommodate the monsoons.

Northern Az around the Heber area or possibly back to Quemado if the campground is open.

Post your thoughts here.

Kent
Hey Kent!

I dunno? If I go to the Rocky Mtn. National Rendezvous in July ( pre 1840 event). And then elk hunting in October, that about does it for me this year. I doubt I’d be able to get away from the place here. I’m hoping the oldest granddaughter will be able to stay with the wife in July while I’m gone.

Im really going to miss seeing y’all wherever you have it.

Bob
I'd like to say' heck yeah' to attending, but with business travel cancelled for the last few months it's going to be absolutely crazy when they open the gates. There just isn't a reasonable way I could commit to anything but would sure put it on the calendar if you fine folks decide to schedule something.
Kent, as you already know, I will be there wherever we decide to have it.

Donelle has retired from teaching, Jace reports to Texas A&M (and the Corps) July 1st, and Jocie is in still being home-schooled. Jace won't make it, but the two girls are planning to put in an appearance no matter where we have it.

Paul and I talked about localities a month or so ago, and I have investigated a couple of possibilities, but nothing as suitable as Quemado has turned up. I have one more USFS campground that I want to check out, but so far Quemado still looks like the best choice.
Try my best to be there.
Only time I have planed away is 8/21-27.
wouldn't be late aug, archery hunting starts.

JULY 17 18 19 or 24 25 26

Either works.

Kent
I got no plans myself except to be there if/when/where it happens. I really enjoyed it and want to do it again...Quemado, somewhere in Arizona, doesn't matter to me. Just gimme cool evenings and good company and I'm in.
What is the Southwest Summer Gathering?
I live an hour from Quemado, might want to check it out.
I'll be there and if I need to come down ahead of time, and help set up etc... let me know...
Originally Posted by AZmark
What is the Southwest Summer Gathering?
I live an hour from Quemado, might want to check it out.

Started by Ken Howell, myself and some others when he was alive and living in Quemado, 2011 maybe, every year. Most we had was 54 show up a few years ago from all over the country.

Anyway it's some good guys, gals and even kids that have kept it going.

I do the food and cooking, Paul and Dennis do the shoots, which we will forgo official events this year, just informal shooting on site, make it up as you go.

Food supplied friday dinner through sunday breakfast, Some guys start getting there early in the week and do their own thing.

Kent
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Hey Kent!

I dunno? If I go to the Rocky Mtn. National Rendezvous in July ( pre 1840 event). And then elk hunting in October, that about does it for me this year. I doubt I’d be able to get away from the place here. I’m hoping the oldest granddaughter will be able to stay with the wife in July while I’m gone.

Im really going to miss seeing y’all wherever you have it.

Bob

Depending when the rendezvous is maybe you can swing by a day or so on the way there or home. We haven't set dates yet.

Kent
Hoping it works for us!
We'll see - would like to see you all!
Ok... at this time right now Armijo springs campground is closed indefinitely due to health and safety. Also there are group size restrictions based on current national restrictions, I guess means 10 people but we could ignore that and just space camps out, likely won't get hassled but be prepared to be.

Quemado NM is out, that leaves Heber/Forest lakes Az, about 130 miles west of Quemado off of hwy 260, dispersed camping away from the crowds, no onsite toilet, no fires at this time, shooting allowed at this time.

6 or 7 weeks away.

That's what we are up against.

Kent

Originally Posted by krp
Ok... at this time right now Armijo springs campground is closed indefinitely due to health and safety. Also there are group size restrictions based on current national restrictions, I guess means 10 people but we could ignore that and just space camps out, likely won't get hassled but be prepared to be.

Quemado NM is out, that leaves Heber/Forest lakes Az, about 130 miles east of Quemado off of hwy 260, dispersed camping away from the crowds, no onsite toilet, no fires at this time, shooting allowed at this time.

6 or 7 weeks away.

Kent

Your other east Kent!
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by krp

Quemado NM is out, that leaves Heber/Forest lakes Az, about 130 miles east of Quemado off of hwy 260, dispersed camping away from the crowds, no onsite toilet, no fires at this time, shooting allowed at this time.

6 or 7 weeks away.

Kent

Your other east Kent!

Damn me... yep 130 miles west.

I was thinking it's another 130 miles for the guys coming from the east.

Kent
Still need to hear comments pro or con now that Quemado/Armijo springs is out.

Kent
Originally Posted by AZmark
What is the Southwest Summer Gathering? I live an hour from Quemado, might want to check it out.
AZmark - this gathering has been happening for about the past 10 or 12 summers up in the high country - after the first one at Quemado lake all of the remainder have been held at Armijo Springs NFS campground east of NM 32 about 22 miles south of US 60.. By and large, the folks attending have been first-rate and the experiences excellent. My wife and I had a home in the forest near the campground and were pleased when we could help with various aspects because we so much enjoyed all of the fine folks and the great camaraderie. Our SW group started the first one up there so that Ken Howell could easily attend - which he usually did and which we enjoyed - but, in actuality, Ken did not organize the gathering and, by that time, his poor health prevented him from helping with tasks . Ken is greatly missed.

To Kent: I appreciate what you are doing toward keeping this event going this summer and Maddy and I certainly will join in unless there is a date conflict with our 60th wedding anniversary celebration. Our family event will involve the last weekend in July and the first weekend in August (7-9) but any weekend after that should work just fine in our case. As Ben mentioned, he and I have some thoughts about location if that aspect is still an open question. Thanks again.
tag
Forest Lakes works for me!
Kent, the weekend of the 18th would work for us, as we have to be in Phoenix on the 15th.
We couldn't make the following weekend - 2 trips that far in 10 days won't work for us, unfortunately.
Paul, I'm thinking July 17th through 19th but open to all dates.

Location has to be easy to access from major highways and away from crowds plus high elevation. Where are you and Ben thinking so I can check them out. Again Armijo springs CG is closed, they don't want to clean the one toilet.

Forest lakes is the highest elevation on the rim, same kind of country as Quemado. Alpine/Big lake areas are high but not easily accessible to travelers.

Kent
Just to be sure we all understand the closures... Tonto, Prescott and Coronado NFs are closed to target shooting in Az.

Kent
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Kent, the weekend of the 18th would work for us, as we have to be in Phoenix on the 15th.
We couldn't make the following weekend - 2 trips that far in 10 days won't work for us, unfortunately.

That's my first choice weekend but up to the group think tank.

Kent
I'll ask Julia if she'd like to attend this year. I did hear that the school district is contemplating starting school early - sometime in July maybe - which will suck for the kids.
My grandkids go back to school July 22... back when I was a kid it was after labor day.

Kent
That's awful - kids need their summer break.
Where ever is convenient for the Arizona residents and easy for some of our older attendees to get to...

about anywhere in Arizona, is no less convenient or inconvenient for me to be able to get to...
so I support whatever is easier for others to get to...

again, if you need others to help set up Kent, let me know..

Hey, as a Boy Scout leader, and being involved in it since I was 10 years old, I don't need much..
Army out in the field also verified that..

pack out trash, bury bodily biproducts, an old bucket for a kybo...I don't need much...
what's easier for others....
I will certainly try to attend. As long as it is high elevation, and cool, I will be OK with it. miles
Looks like there is enough interest. Here's what I propose and since it's coming up soon any change of location or time needs to be made the next couple days.

July 17th through 19th

Forest Lakes Az area, I have a couple spots in mind we can disperse camp and shoot safely, will check them out the next couple weeks.

There are 2 stores and 1 lodge in Forest lakes itself and many in Heber 15 miles away.

About 7500 ft elevation, Pine, oak and some aspen forest, usually have afternoon showers that time of year, lakes to trout fish close by if you want, elk deer turkey bear around.

Coming from I40, straight shot to Holbrook, south to Heber, east to Forest lakes.

From I10 to I25 N to Socorro E on 60, in Showlow E on 260 to Forest lakes.

Open to compelling changes but needs to be very soon.

As always come early and leave late if you want, I will set up a trailer/camp well before.

Kent
Hi Kent - thanks for getting this set. I have hunted the rim many many times over the past 60 years and passed Forest Lakes on 260 a lot - but have never been off the road into the forest there. Will the site be north of 260, or south? You are correct - by that date in July afternoon/evening showers are quite like;y. Especially for the ladies - will there be a FS toilet or should we be prepared to find our spots?
Hi Kent - thanks for getting this set. I have hunted the rim many many times over the past 60 years and passed Forest Lakes on 260 a lot - but have never been off the road into the forest there. Will the site be north of 260, or south? You are correct - by that date in July afternoon/evening showers are quite like;y. Especially for the ladies - will there be a FS toilet or should we be prepared to find our spots?
I'll check out areas close to hwy 260 both N and S but most likely N has the better shooting areas.

If you want to shoot on site then it will be dispersed camping and no toilet, if we don't need to shoot in camp there are camp spots just off 260 and FR 237 that have a toilet, truth is I don't know if any of the toilets are open up there due to health safety, they are locked at the lakes down here.

Best be prepared to improvise latrines, I'm sure some of the vets can figure it out. I have a floorless shelter we could use to put a potty in.

Kent
You'all have fun.
Kent, thanks for all you're doing. It's too early for me to be sure, but I'm gonna try my best to be there.

Tell Mrs. Cheryl I said 'howdy'.
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Kent, thanks for all you're doing. It's too early for me to be sure, but I'm gonna try my best to be there.

Tell Mrs. Cheryl I said 'howdy'.

Will do Randy, hope you can make it.

Kent
In-person summer programs were canceled at Texas A&M so Jace's schedule is open until early August. We can coordinate and arrive early with Dad but the kids and I will have to leave on Saturday. I need to be in San Antonio on the morning of the 20th.
Over 20 have confirmed, as much as any of us can confirm in these times, and another 10 or so are interested/maybes... That's pretty good for this year. More haven't seen this yet.

Kent
Not able to make this one. frown
On probation again? Did you get a designer ankle monitor this time?

Kent
Work and that is Judy's and I wedding anniversary weekend.
Hi - do we have an update yet regarding specific location up there? Hot today down on the low deserts.
They just opened one lane on 87 from Mesa to Payson yesterday at noon, I'm going up tomorrow with some equipment and culverts to Christopher creek, hope to get up and pick a spot on the rim.

Anyway, things are in turmoil in the forests, at this point it's still open on top but lots of camping closures on the Tonto and restrictions. With these fires they could close all the forests at any time.

We are planning to camp on the Apache/Sitgraves NF a few miles above the Tonto NF.

Facemasks in public places are now required in many cities and counties in Az, Payson is one that some may drive through, be prepared.

Group size may still be restricted on the forest or may not, I think it was ending June 26th unless it's extended, we need to be prepared to 'stretch' out camp if needed.

Kent
Originally Posted by CCCC
Hi - do we have an update yet regarding specific location up there? Hot today down on the low deserts.

Smokey, too! frown
Damn fires are eating this state up.

Kent
Love to go but can't this year. Been a while since I've been on the A bar S...
Originally Posted by krp
Damn fires are eating this state up.Kent
This has been saddening - even though the consumed acreage is not nearly as extensive as some of the recent big conflagrations, these fires are burning some prime places where, for a long time, many have gone to enjoy the high deserts and nearby mountain retreats. Some significant smoke down here to remind us of the ongoing losses. I sure am having hope that places up high on the Rim don't get bitten.
Kat and I will be there!

We camp with a "Luggable Loo" and a beach shelter for it to reside in for toilet needs. Bring your own plastic bags to line the 5 gal bucket! grin

Ed
Has anyone talked to Blue? I want to make sure he knows in case he can make it.

Kent
Gonna try make it

Motor goes back i the truck this weekend hopefully

Lot of folks I would like to see!
Constantly changing restrictions, all developed campgrounds are closed again. We are dispersed camping but that forces all other campers also, we may well get surrounded by others close enough we need to forgo shooting. They may also ban shooting like the Tonto has just a few miles from the apache sitgraves.

Best to think of this camp as visiting and eating, the kids can fish at the local lakes, there's stuff to do.

Kent
Nice rain here this evening. It moved in from the west and laid down a lot of water on the mountains to the west and south of us. Smells delicious--actually feels like the start of the monsoons. It's about a week or so early, but temperature on the front porch went from pushing 100 to 76 in a matter of minutes. The Chiricahuas to the west are swathed in a wall of gray and black clouds.

We had a pizza on the porch for supper and watched most of the country to the southeast, south and west get a good drink. It appears to be Pacific moisture, so I am hoping that Arizona is getting a little relief.
northern part of Az may (may) get some July 2. which would be early, but welcome. sometimes we get 2-3 days dry lightning before a rainy day.
We will be there, if at all possible!
Be coming back from Scottsdale, only have to spend 1 extra night in a motel !
Works for us !
KRP, Thanks for asking for me, I won't be coming, we are locked down here on the ranch now, as we have 5 ranch hands with covid19, and we are testing every week, we don't know where this going to wind up? Wish i could come but we are real short handed, I may be old but I can still drive a tractor and baler.
Will miss seeing you all, Thank You. Blue
Originally Posted by RIO7
KRP, Thanks for asking for me, I won't be coming, we are locked down here on the ranch now, as we have 5 ranch hands with covid19, and we are testing every week, we don't know where this going to wind up? Wish i could come but we are real short handed, I may be old but I can still drive a tractor and baler.
Will miss seeing you all, Thank You. Blue

DANG IT. - Blue, you're gonna force us to come see you !
Stay well.
Stay safe Blue!

Kent
Damn Rio, I sure hope things turn around for you and your workers soon.

Mark,you and the your better half are Welcome here any time, I would enjoy seeing you, but for now we are covered up with KUNG-FLU, I'm so damn sick of rubber gloves and face masks, hand sanitizer, and long distance conversations, as they say ( this is a hell of a way to run a rail road) or a ranch, maybe this will be over soon, then we can all get together again. Rio7

Thanks Kent

12344mag, Thank You. Rio7
Ok, just got back from driving miles of dirt roads.

The good thing is I saw signs announcing reunions at large sites, so I guess they aren't harassing larger groups about group size.

Bad news is almost all the sites are occupied, usually Sunday evening most campers have gone home, but there's a ton of people with multiple campers, vehicles, atvs, on all the easy access roads, they look to be staying the max limit.

We are going to officially be a reunion, we just need an uncommon last name.

I wouldn't be comfortable shooting in camp with the amount of other folks around.

I know places to do both but maybe some az guys could find them, they are far in and someone from TX or OR would get lost.

So far of the 237fs rd and 122 have the best sites, 3 to 4 miles north of 260.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp

The good thing is I saw signs announcing reunions at large sites, so I guess they aren't harassing larger groups about group size.

Bad news is almost all the sites are occupied, usually Sunday evening most campers have gone home, but there's a ton of people with multiple campers, vehicles, atvs, on all the easy access roads, they look to be staying the max limit.

I wouldn't be comfortable shooting in camp with the amount of other folks around.

I know places to do both but maybe some az guys could find them, they are far in and someone from TX or OR would get lost.

Kent

Can you confirm the dates again? I my have to modify my vacation request.
July 17, 18 and 19

Kent
Thanks
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Kent...whatever site is selected, GPS waypoints along the route might be very helpful for those unfamiliar with the region.
I'll try and figure it out but I'm making it simple also, that's why I can't pick a spot 10 miles in and 5 turns.

Both fs roads are major ones and easy to find off 260, plus close to town.

Kent
Blue, I am so disappointed that we will not have you among us - you always try to do what is correct and responsible, and this is yet another example. We understand, but is our loss - and please stay safe. Maddy has been iffy about coming due to that altitude and some other ouches, but has held on to the plan while hoping so much to be able to visit with you and other folks from afar that we don't see very often. Now, I may be coming alone.

To all ! SHOOTING ! Kent has made it clear that having a place to shoot in or near camp may be a challenge, or even not possible - but I hold onto a bit of hope. So, I will try to bring the fixins for a couple of uncomplicated shooting deals (maybe the PD shoot and a 100 yard group and/or a rim fire) just in case we are fortunate to be able to do so. Maybe a handgun setup? So - (maybe) bring 'em if you have 'em.
Shooting can happen for those that want to just maybe not in camp, more miles down the roads and it's wide open, but the roads get dirtier and rougher for those that stay in town and drive back and forth, and camp would be harder to find. Also I'm keeping close to the lakes as there will be kids that want to fish. My grandkids will be there and I have plenty of poles for other kids too. Probably saturday after breakfast.

Kent
This started as a camp and shoot years ago, Ken Howell was a gun guy and others also. But it's slowly turning into a meet and visit new and old friends event, less on shooting and more on camaraderie. This year is a challenge so we will go with the flow on what we can do. We will still recite the pledge of allegiance to our flag, say grace before dinner and listen to DARBY's bullchit... it's the American way...

Kent
I've been on the east coast for the last two weeks taking care of family business....so I gather the event is going to happen.... without going thru everything... has a location been set? Right now I am taking care of a couple of disasters that took place while I was gone, both at work and home....plus recovering after 5 days on the road covering 700 to 900 miles a day on the road...trip was 5 days on the road, there and back.. 3800 miles each way in a country that is suppose to be 3000 miles from one coast to the other....made the trip solo to boot.... so presently running on 5 out of 8 cylinders.... but won't miss, missing you guys.... probably the best bunch of guys I've ever known... all in one place...
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Since we originally organized this for friends of Ken Howell, why don't we just call ourselves the Howell family reunion?
I was thinking a big sign... BLM staging point... no .gov agency will bother us about group size or anything else. 100% anonymity.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
I was thinking a big sign... BLM staging point... no .gov agency will bother us about group size or anything else. 100% anonymity.

Kent

grin
A huge thanks to Kent and the AZ/Southwest contingent that takes the time and effort to put this together, we all appreciate the effort and results!

Now down to bidness....

Looks like I am down to one road worthy vehichle, yep the car that always amazed Dennis with all the stuff that could be pulled out of it.
Will it be able to access camp?

Will try to bring a sit on top kayak for youngsters of all ages to play with....

~brian
Yes cars can make it easy, it's one of my musts,

Kent
Ok I'm going to go by wed and chose the spot based on availability.

If you think you'll make it let me know how many in your party.

Anyone coming early? I'll have a camp set up on site, let me know if you come early o may be available if work permits, regardless I'll have a camp set to hold our spot.

Either way it'll be in the forest lakes area north of 260 less than 4 miles of 2 lane dirt rd. That's the spots I've found big enough.

This weekend was a mad house up here. They closed the Tonto completely, can't even hike around our cabins.

Kent
Planning on being there Wed. evening.
Need to arrange for a motel.
Three of us, probably with a small travel trailer. Right now, we are planning on arriving on Thursday.
Ok Mark, forest lakes has a lodge, don't know how expensive it is, basically a motel. Heber has several, about 15 miles away, probably cheaper.
Ok Ben.
I can be there early if ya need someone there Kent to hold the spot or have someone there, so it doesn't get taken by others...

Az is two days on the road for me, but I'd be able to leave when I need to, I'm not letting other stuff get in my way this year...like it seems to every year....I'll be flying solo, the wife couldn't get off of work, as her one co worker is taking the time off since her mother passed during the same time period last year....I just got home from being down in CA, paying my respects to my mother who is interned at Riverside National Cemetery.... this past weekend would have been her 90th birthday...

Let me know how I can help in any way Ken....
Originally Posted by krp
Ok Mark, forest lakes has a lodge, don't know how expensive it is, basically a motel. Heber has several, about 15 miles away, probably cheaper.

We'll check into it, Kent.
15 miles isn't that far - 'specially several hundred miles from home smile
Gotta keep "The Warden" comfortable, ya know!
Originally Posted by Seafire
I can be there early if ya need someone there Kent to hold the spot or have someone there, so it doesn't get taken by others...

Az is two days on the road for me, but I'd be able to leave when I need to, I'm not letting other stuff get in my way this year...like it seems to every year....I'll be flying solo, the wife couldn't get off of work, as her one co worker is taking the time off since her mother passed during the same time period last year....I just got home from being down in CA, paying my respects to my mother who is interned at Riverside National Cemetery.... this past weekend would have been her 90th birthday...

Let me know how I can help in any way Ken....

I'll setup enough stuff to stake out our territory, but depending on who's coming some of the guys like getting there Monday or Tuesday, l just want to make sure everyone finds it a gets settled.

No one has to be there early.

Kent
Thanks Kent... but being there late, means I am still at home...

I need a vacation from being at home...

and away from our State Queen.... Kate "let them eat cake" Brown...
I know we have more people than this coming.

Kent
Kent. et al, - - - would love to have Maddy with me but will be coming alone this time. Should be on site by mid-day Friday - and may be able to get there by late Thursday if I can catch a break from the overload of events/tasks here. Needing a respite and really looking forward to being with these fine folks. Things we need to bring to help out ??

Good to see that Mark/Joy., Seafire and Brian are traveling in - do we know the plans of other way distant travelers like Miles, Randy, Kaywoodie, Ranger G. TexnCal, etc., etc. ? What's up fellas?

Watching for directions to the site.

Kent:

I'm not going to read the whole thread. You know me. I'm just lazy.

So where and when?

KC

Kent:

OK so I did read the whole thread. A week and a half from now is the date right? I found both FS road 237 and 122 on the map. Do you know which one and where yet?

GPS Coordinates?

KC

Originally Posted by KC
Kent: OK so I did read the whole thread. A week and a half from now is the date right? I found both FS road 237 and 122 on the map. Do you know which one and where yet? GPS Coordinates? KC

krp - "Ok I'm going to go by wed and chose the spot based on availability.".
With the 14 day camp limit I theoretically could go today but I'm not quite ready with a trailer to set up with. I will have to establish a camp not just choose a spot, as it could be occupied by someone else anytime.

This covoid deal has impacted the forests, since April there had been record camping numbers, folks being sick of staying in, kids no school, adults no work. People are staying for more than the weekend.

Tonto forest is totally closed, that forces all those campers up on top.

I have my choices from 1 on down, they are all within a few miles of forest lakes on the north side. Just hang on a few more days.

Kent

Paul:

Aren't there two OOs in choose? I love this forum. Where else would you get an opportunity to correct the spelling of a teacher? grin

KC
Kent. et al, - - - would love to have Maddy with me but will be coming alone this time. Should be on site by mid-day Friday - and may be able to get there by late Thursday if I can catch a break from the overload of events/tasks here. Needing a respite and really looking forward to being with these fine folks. Things we need to bring to help out ??

Good to see that Mark/Joy., Seafire and Brian are traveling in - do we know the plans of other way distant travelers like Miles, Randy, Kaywoodie, Ranger G. TexnCal, etc., etc. ? What's up fellas?

Watching for directions to the site.

I’m sorry Paul. I mentioned way early in the thread that I was only going to be able to do one summer event this year, and I was going to the Rocky Mountain National Rendezvous at Creede Colo. Leaving late this Thursday night. BE there little over a week. Pre 1840 mountain man event.

Will miss seeing all you folks!!!
Have fun!

Bob
Who's going to entertain all those women admirers?

Have fun Bob, see ya around the horn.

Kent
We're hoping Bob, and contingent, manage to stop by on their trip - at least coffee and a pee stop!
Say hi to that reprobate when he stops by your place.

Kent
I think what I'm going to do is start a group pm when I pick a spot to give details. Just to be safe from lurkers.

Those here that say they're coming or have contacted me through other ways.

Kent
Wish I could make it. Have fun men!
Oohhh - we WILL!!!! smile smile smile
Originally Posted by KC

Paul: Aren't there two OOs in choose? I love this forum. Where else would you get an opportunity to correct the spelling of a teacher? grin KC

You are a good guy KC - so sorry to break your joy bubble . That was not my spelling - the comment was from Kent.

I will misspell something for you in the next post. grin
I spell it like I pronounce it... using my Minnesota... that's with a big O... accent.

I guess...

Kent
We're hoping Bob, and contingent, manage to stop by on their trip - at least coffee and a pee stop!

Dependent on whether we take the Bent’s fort route or the Ft. Sumner route. Will keep you posted!
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Dependent on whether we take the Bent’s fort route or the Ft. Sumner route. Will keep you posted!
Why not take the Ft. Bowie route and come see us and Ben in SE AZ/SW NM?
Right now I have 12 confirmed with a few more still not sure, I've had some that originally said yes have to bow out.

I knew this covid issue would take it's toll on attendance, originally had 30 people pensiled in but it's gone about how I figured.

I'm planning on my family including grandkids, so that's 5 plus the 12, might be a couple more.

Count on it being a camp and visit, I'm picking a spot on ease of camping and disregarding any shooting that may restrict that.

I plan on taking the kids fishing Saturday after breakfast, any other kids and adults welcome. Any other events will be up to the attendees.

This may change my spots I was thinking of.

Tomorrow I'll set a camp.

Kent
Donelle and I checked out motels and other options, and decided that we will be tent camping with you. Jace will be with us, but Jocelyn will not.
I have you down for 3 Ben.

Kent
Caught up with Kent and told him it just won't happen this year

Gonna miss it cause this is always one of the highlights of the summer,

but work that disappeard at the the beginning of the beer flu is starting to come back.

Kick back at camp and enjoy this special group.

~brian
Who are bringing a trailer and who a tent/truck camp.

Don't want to pick a spot to small.

Went out tonight and all, I mean all bigger spots were occupied, its crazy, I've camped up here for years and never seen anything like this. Even went down a rocky 2 track and the only good spot was occupied by a motor home, jarred my teeth in my truck, motor home had some balls.

Kent
Kent, we will be tent camping: two tents and an awning. Not sure if yet if there will be one or two vehicles.
1970 GMC with small camper mounted and an 8ft. open trailer.
I'll probably just camp out in my 4 Runner, or the Pilot if I have bring that instead..

I won't need much...want me to bring some food or just my wallet to contribute?
Food is taken care of, nobody needs to donate or anything.

Whoever has a table we could use a couple.

No campfires or charcoal allowed, so it'll be pulled pork and fix'ins friday. Carne asada Saturday. I'll have hamburger patties and hotdogs to make for the kids if they'd rather have that.

Kent
I have my trailer parked on the rim, it's where I set elk camp every year, a huge area where camps can spread out but no shooting on site.

I have to head home tomorrow and come back up Sunday. I'll look to improve our camp then.

This site is a half mile off 260 and super easy to find.

Kent
Found a really nice spot 5 miles in on major dirt roads, bunch of elk and 1 deer.

Will move the trailer in the morning.

When I get home on the computer I'll start a group pm with details, I waypointed it on my onx hunt but don't know how to transfer or share, we'll see... It's fairly easy to find by directions.

The group pm will be those that stated they are coming.

Kent

Kent:

I am planning on bringing a small travel trailer. But I can switch to tent if that's necessary. Probably arrive late Thursday.

KC
Little trailers, big trailers bring them all.

I usually bring my 5th wheel but I have it permanently installed at Christopher creek about 15 miles away, I brought my camp trailer.

Kent
Ok camp is set, 4 easy miles from the 260, lots of room, watch for elk don't runnt them calves over, bring gums.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
Ok camp is set, 4 easy miles from the 260, lots of room, watch for elk don't runnt them calves over, bring gums.

Kent

OK +/- 4 miles north of 260.

On which road? 122? 178? Or another road?
I'm going to make a group pm, for security I'm not going to broadcast it on the open forum. KC, do you have onx hunt on your phone, I might could share it to you of I figure out how.

Let me get home today on my computer, this phone posting is a peta.

Kent

Kent:

I use GAIA not OnX. I sent you coordinates in a PM. I can post them on the group thread when you get it up or you can post them, which is what you mentioned in previous PM.

KC
Making PM now.

Kent
Arrived home about 20 minutes ago.

It was a wonderful time for me. Being able renew old friendships, and to make new ones too.

I would like to thank Kent and Cheryl for the time and effort spent in preparation before the gathering. All the cooking and cleaning while there, and the time to take
it all down. I'm sure that there will be more time spent once they get home and have to unload, clean everything and put it away.

I'd like to thank all those that assisted them too. Cooking, cleaning, etc.

Last of all, thank you to those of you that were able to attend this year. I know that it is sacrifice for some of you which makes seeing you there all the more special.

To those of you that were unable to be there, you were sorely missed.

Jeff
We had 22 folks... 12 men, 4 women, 4 girls and 2 boys. Good for this challenging year.

Ranger green's youngest and my granddaughter hit it off, we went fishing and the trout wouldn't cooperate but the bluegills did and RG's girl caught her first 8 fish ever.

Good times made.

Kent
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Carne Asada...

[Linked Image]
This was our 10th annual summer event, first one was about 20 people, peaked at 54 one year, and now about 20 again.

This started when Ken Howell was airovaced to Mesa az from Quemado for emergency surgery. THOMASMAGNUM had been visiting Ken right before he got sick and had just left driving back in winter conditions. Tom always joked that Ken beat him back here on the chopper.

Tom was a friend from the local hunting sites and also helped me with jr deer camp stuff. I read about Ken's surgery, didn't know anything about him except he was close and could use a friendly face. I asked Tom when he was visiting Ken in the hospital next and if Ken needed someone checking in on him once in awhile. He said heck ya and we met in the hospital lobby and went up to visit. Tom introduced Ken as a gun writer... I said, sorry I mostly archery hunt and don't read magazines... I had no idea who he was professionally... Ken laughed and said, that's ok I forgive you... and we took it from there. He was in a hard spot without an advocate, after losing my mom to bone cancer then MIL the year prior to shoddy nursing home... everyone needs someone on their side.

Ken is gone now and so is my good friend Tom, Tom's loss was extremely tough for me. My friend Greg Cameron's loss, who we started the winter get together with, another tough one.

For me it was a good run with both ventures.

Thanks to everyone who came throughout the years, it was fun amigos and amigas.

Kent

"Ya snooze, ya lose".

I have been wrapped up with training for the last month and very rarely checked in on the 'Fire, so I completely missed the thread and the plans. My loss,but I'm sure The Gathering was every bit as good as all the others have been. Yes, bittersweet, too, without some of the characters from a time long ago that have camped elsewhere.

Put me down as planning to attend the 2021 event, wherever and whenever. Sorry to miss seeing some great people in 2020.
glad y'all had fun, especially the kids.

maybe next year I can get away at this time of year.........................unless I put in for tags and get lucky. Can't do two trips a year unfortunately.
Looks like a good time was had by all. I'm sorry Julia and I couldn't make it this year.
Looks like a great time!!!! Wished I could have been there too!

We got back from Rocky Mtn Nat Rendezvous yesterday morning about 4:30. Was a good time. Rained just about every afternoon. But very cool and enjoyable.

Stylin’

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
© 24hourcampfire