Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
I've had a couple inquiries on whether there will be one this year.

Initially I figured no with all the crap going on, not sure about the social restrictions and whatnot... I do know the forests are prohibiting fires, charcoal, they have reopened and so far the highcountry forests still allow target shooting while the lower ones like the Tonto have banned shooting except to hunt.

Dennis is gone for the summer working in alaska.

Let's see if there is any real interest before going forward with plans, it would have to be end of July to early august to accommodate the monsoons.

Northern Az around the Heber area or possibly back to Quemado if the campground is open.

Post your thoughts here.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Hey Kent!

I dunno? If I go to the Rocky Mtn. National Rendezvous in July ( pre 1840 event). And then elk hunting in October, that about does it for me this year. I doubt I’d be able to get away from the place here. I’m hoping the oldest granddaughter will be able to stay with the wife in July while I’m gone.

Im really going to miss seeing y’all wherever you have it.

Bob

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to say' heck yeah' to attending, but with business travel cancelled for the last few months it's going to be absolutely crazy when they open the gates. There just isn't a reasonable way I could commit to anything but would sure put it on the calendar if you fine folks decide to schedule something.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kent, as you already know, I will be there wherever we decide to have it.

Donelle has retired from teaching, Jace reports to Texas A&M (and the Corps) July 1st, and Jocie is in still being home-schooled. Jace won't make it, but the two girls are planning to put in an appearance no matter where we have it.

Paul and I talked about localities a month or so ago, and I have investigated a couple of possibilities, but nothing as suitable as Quemado has turned up. I have one more USFS campground that I want to check out, but so far Quemado still looks like the best choice.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try my best to be there.
Only time I have planed away is 8/21-27.

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
wouldn't be late aug, archery hunting starts.

JULY 17 18 19 or 24 25 26

Either works.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got no plans myself except to be there if/when/where it happens. I really enjoyed it and want to do it again...Quemado, somewhere in Arizona, doesn't matter to me. Just gimme cool evenings and good company and I'm in.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is the Southwest Summer Gathering?
I live an hour from Quemado, might want to check it out.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'll be there and if I need to come down ahead of time, and help set up etc... let me know...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by AZmark
What is the Southwest Summer Gathering?
I live an hour from Quemado, might want to check it out.

Started by Ken Howell, myself and some others when he was alive and living in Quemado, 2011 maybe, every year. Most we had was 54 show up a few years ago from all over the country.

Anyway it's some good guys, gals and even kids that have kept it going.

I do the food and cooking, Paul and Dennis do the shoots, which we will forgo official events this year, just informal shooting on site, make it up as you go.

Food supplied friday dinner through sunday breakfast, Some guys start getting there early in the week and do their own thing.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Hey Kent!

I dunno? If I go to the Rocky Mtn. National Rendezvous in July ( pre 1840 event). And then elk hunting in October, that about does it for me this year. I doubt I’d be able to get away from the place here. I’m hoping the oldest granddaughter will be able to stay with the wife in July while I’m gone.

Im really going to miss seeing y’all wherever you have it.

Bob

Depending when the rendezvous is maybe you can swing by a day or so on the way there or home. We haven't set dates yet.

Kent

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Hoping it works for us!
We'll see - would like to see you all!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Ok... at this time right now Armijo springs campground is closed indefinitely due to health and safety. Also there are group size restrictions based on current national restrictions, I guess means 10 people but we could ignore that and just space camps out, likely won't get hassled but be prepared to be.

Quemado NM is out, that leaves Heber/Forest lakes Az, about 130 miles west of Quemado off of hwy 260, dispersed camping away from the crowds, no onsite toilet, no fires at this time, shooting allowed at this time.

6 or 7 weeks away.

That's what we are up against.

Kent

Last edited by krp; 06/06/20.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by krp
Ok... at this time right now Armijo springs campground is closed indefinitely due to health and safety. Also there are group size restrictions based on current national restrictions, I guess means 10 people but we could ignore that and just space camps out, likely won't get hassled but be prepared to be.

Quemado NM is out, that leaves Heber/Forest lakes Az, about 130 miles east of Quemado off of hwy 260, dispersed camping away from the crowds, no onsite toilet, no fires at this time, shooting allowed at this time.

6 or 7 weeks away.

Kent

Your other east Kent!

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by krp

Quemado NM is out, that leaves Heber/Forest lakes Az, about 130 miles east of Quemado off of hwy 260, dispersed camping away from the crowds, no onsite toilet, no fires at this time, shooting allowed at this time.

6 or 7 weeks away.

Kent

Your other east Kent!

Damn me... yep 130 miles west.

I was thinking it's another 130 miles for the guys coming from the east.

Kent

Last edited by krp; 06/06/20.
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Still need to hear comments pro or con now that Quemado/Armijo springs is out.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AZmark
What is the Southwest Summer Gathering? I live an hour from Quemado, might want to check it out.
AZmark - this gathering has been happening for about the past 10 or 12 summers up in the high country - after the first one at Quemado lake all of the remainder have been held at Armijo Springs NFS campground east of NM 32 about 22 miles south of US 60.. By and large, the folks attending have been first-rate and the experiences excellent. My wife and I had a home in the forest near the campground and were pleased when we could help with various aspects because we so much enjoyed all of the fine folks and the great camaraderie. Our SW group started the first one up there so that Ken Howell could easily attend - which he usually did and which we enjoyed - but, in actuality, Ken did not organize the gathering and, by that time, his poor health prevented him from helping with tasks . Ken is greatly missed.

To Kent: I appreciate what you are doing toward keeping this event going this summer and Maddy and I certainly will join in unless there is a date conflict with our 60th wedding anniversary celebration. Our family event will involve the last weekend in July and the first weekend in August (7-9) but any weekend after that should work just fine in our case. As Ben mentioned, he and I have some thoughts about location if that aspect is still an open question. Thanks again.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
tag

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Forest Lakes works for me!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

53 members (35, Akhutr, 338reddog, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,406 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,876
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.