12344mag, Thank You. Rio7

GB1

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Ok, just got back from driving miles of dirt roads.

The good thing is I saw signs announcing reunions at large sites, so I guess they aren't harassing larger groups about group size.

Bad news is almost all the sites are occupied, usually Sunday evening most campers have gone home, but there's a ton of people with multiple campers, vehicles, atvs, on all the easy access roads, they look to be staying the max limit.

We are going to officially be a reunion, we just need an uncommon last name.

I wouldn't be comfortable shooting in camp with the amount of other folks around.

I know places to do both but maybe some az guys could find them, they are far in and someone from TX or OR would get lost.

So far of the 237fs rd and 122 have the best sites, 3 to 4 miles north of 260.

Kent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by krp

The good thing is I saw signs announcing reunions at large sites, so I guess they aren't harassing larger groups about group size.

Bad news is almost all the sites are occupied, usually Sunday evening most campers have gone home, but there's a ton of people with multiple campers, vehicles, atvs, on all the easy access roads, they look to be staying the max limit.

I wouldn't be comfortable shooting in camp with the amount of other folks around.

I know places to do both but maybe some az guys could find them, they are far in and someone from TX or OR would get lost.

Kent

Can you confirm the dates again? I my have to modify my vacation request.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
July 17, 18 and 19

Kent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Kent...whatever site is selected, GPS waypoints along the route might be very helpful for those unfamiliar with the region.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
I'll try and figure it out but I'm making it simple also, that's why I can't pick a spot 10 miles in and 5 turns.

Both fs roads are major ones and easy to find off 260, plus close to town.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blue, I am so disappointed that we will not have you among us - you always try to do what is correct and responsible, and this is yet another example. We understand, but is our loss - and please stay safe. Maddy has been iffy about coming due to that altitude and some other ouches, but has held on to the plan while hoping so much to be able to visit with you and other folks from afar that we don't see very often. Now, I may be coming alone.

To all ! SHOOTING ! Kent has made it clear that having a place to shoot in or near camp may be a challenge, or even not possible - but I hold onto a bit of hope. So, I will try to bring the fixins for a couple of uncomplicated shooting deals (maybe the PD shoot and a 100 yard group and/or a rim fire) just in case we are fortunate to be able to do so. Maybe a handgun setup? So - (maybe) bring 'em if you have 'em.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Shooting can happen for those that want to just maybe not in camp, more miles down the roads and it's wide open, but the roads get dirtier and rougher for those that stay in town and drive back and forth, and camp would be harder to find. Also I'm keeping close to the lakes as there will be kids that want to fish. My grandkids will be there and I have plenty of poles for other kids too. Probably saturday after breakfast.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
This started as a camp and shoot years ago, Ken Howell was a gun guy and others also. But it's slowly turning into a meet and visit new and old friends event, less on shooting and more on camaraderie. This year is a challenge so we will go with the flow on what we can do. We will still recite the pledge of allegiance to our flag, say grace before dinner and listen to DARBY's bullchit... it's the American way...

Kent

Last edited by krp; 06/30/20.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've been on the east coast for the last two weeks taking care of family business....so I gather the event is going to happen.... without going thru everything... has a location been set? Right now I am taking care of a couple of disasters that took place while I was gone, both at work and home....plus recovering after 5 days on the road covering 700 to 900 miles a day on the road...trip was 5 days on the road, there and back.. 3800 miles each way in a country that is suppose to be 3000 miles from one coast to the other....made the trip solo to boot.... so presently running on 5 out of 8 cylinders.... but won't miss, missing you guys.... probably the best bunch of guys I've ever known... all in one place...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Since we originally organized this for friends of Ken Howell, why don't we just call ourselves the Howell family reunion?

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
I was thinking a big sign... BLM staging point... no .gov agency will bother us about group size or anything else. 100% anonymity.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by krp
I was thinking a big sign... BLM staging point... no .gov agency will bother us about group size or anything else. 100% anonymity.

Kent

grin

Ben

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A huge thanks to Kent and the AZ/Southwest contingent that takes the time and effort to put this together, we all appreciate the effort and results!

Now down to bidness....

Looks like I am down to one road worthy vehichle, yep the car that always amazed Dennis with all the stuff that could be pulled out of it.
Will it be able to access camp?

Will try to bring a sit on top kayak for youngsters of all ages to play with....

~brian

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Yes cars can make it easy, it's one of my musts,

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Ok I'm going to go by wed and chose the spot based on availability.

If you think you'll make it let me know how many in your party.

Anyone coming early? I'll have a camp set up on site, let me know if you come early o may be available if work permits, regardless I'll have a camp set to hold our spot.

Either way it'll be in the forest lakes area north of 260 less than 4 miles of 2 lane dirt rd. That's the spots I've found big enough.

This weekend was a mad house up here. They closed the Tonto completely, can't even hike around our cabins.

Kent

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Planning on being there Wed. evening.
Need to arrange for a motel.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Three of us, probably with a small travel trailer. Right now, we are planning on arriving on Thursday.

Ben

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Ok Mark, forest lakes has a lodge, don't know how expensive it is, basically a motel. Heber has several, about 15 miles away, probably cheaper.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,095
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.