Home
Posted By: 13579 Mauser Actions - 01/07/09
Could someone give me some detailed information on a VZ 24. Mauser action?

I have read that they are one of the more desirable actions for a custom rifle, but I would like to have some details on when and where they were made and why they are sought after, if they are.

Thanks.
Posted By: justsaymoe Re: Mauser Actions - 01/08/09
From Wikipedia:

The vz. 24 rifle[1] is a rifle designed and produced in Czechoslovakia from 1924 to 1942. It was developed from the Mauser Gewehr 98 line, though is not a clone of any specific Mauser model. The Wehrmacht had 11 divisions equipped with the rifle at the start of war, though vast majority of its life as a military service rifles was during peacetime with the Czechoslovak Army. Production continued for the German Army, which designated it Gewehr 24(t). About 762,000 rifles of this pattern were produced in Czechoslovakia for the Czechoslovak army and some other 330,050 for the German armed forces.

The vz. 24 rifle was designed in Czechoslovakia shortly after WWI. "vz." is an abbreviation for vzor, which translates to model, "24" represents the year of the design, 1924 and replaced the 98/22 mauser that was in production before it. The vz. 24 was produced in Brno and Pova�sk� Bystrica (from 1938-1942). The only way to identify the production location is by the serial number pattern and the VTLU code. A Brno manufactured rifle would have a serial number as such: 1234 T3. A Pova�sk� manufactured rifle would follow this pattern: A5 2345. The VTLU code (Czech acronym VTLU stands for Vojensk� technick� a leteck� �stav - Military technical and aviation institute, which was responsible for acceptance of Czechoslovak army weapons) was an inspection and acceptance stamp. A code observed would be E4-lion-38. The E4 would denote where the acceptance took place (in this case it would be Pova�sk� Bystrica), the lion would be the national symbol of Czechoslovakia and the 38 represents the year, 1938. Here is a breakdown of VTLU codes:

1. E1 - Pilsen (Plzeň)
2. E2 - Adamov
3. E3 - Brno
4. E4 - Pova�sk� Bystrica
5. E5 - Vla�im
6. E6 - Semtin
7. E7 - Strakonice
8. E8 - Prague (Praha)

The vz. 24 rifle was widely used the world over. Japan, Romania, Iran, Guatemala, China etc. Many of the contract rifles made for South American countries were chambered in 7 mm Mauser.

During WWII, the vz. 24 was produced for the German military. The factory was located at Pova�sk� Bystrica in the Slovak Republic. The code used was dou.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Persian Brno
* 2 See also
* 3 References
* 4 External links

[edit] Persian Brno

The rifle found its way into Iran very quickly where it became known as the 'Berno', following the name of the city of Brno, Czechoslovakia, where the rifles were originally manufactured. The Mauser rifle was selected for the Iranian Army during the reign of Reza Shah Pahlavi, however Iran never ordered any from Germany instead preferring the Czechoslovak variant.

The Iranian version had a Pahlavi crown and lion and sun crest atop the receiver ring, as well as an inscription in Persian (in Nasta'liq script) on the side of its receiver giving the model and the factory name.

In the late 1940s Iran's Taslihat-e Artesh (Arms Factories of the Army), popularly known as Mosalsal-sazi (the machine-gun factory), in Tehran started production of these Brno rifles. The required machinery and manufacturing knowledge was provided to Iran through the industrial firm �koda, which had a long history of cooperation with Iran. Iran produced two models: the vz. 24 as "Berno" and a short version known as "Berno kootah" (short Brno) under a licence from CZ.

The only difference between the local Iranian version and the Czech version was the markings on the side of the receiver: instead of naming Brno as the maker, it was written "sakht-e aslah-e sazi-e artesh" (made by the Army Arms factory).

The Brno remained as the standard Iranian infantry weapon until it was replaced by the more modern, semi-automatic, American M1 Garand rifle in 1960. Following the change, the Brno was confined to the gendarmerie and the game wardens for a while, before it was decommissioned from active use. In the 1970s it was used mainly in ceremonial occasions

The Iranian Brno rifles saw action in a number of places from tribal uprisings in Kurdistan to the coup removing Mohammad Mossadegh from power. During the 1979 revolution, the gun re-appeared in the hands of the revolutionaries and tribesmen, who had never abandoned their Brnos. Besides the rebels, the Islamic government too had a use for Brno: It was, and is, used in official Friday prayer ceremonies. The speaker is required to have 'the weapon of the day' by his side, according to the tradition of the Prophet (he apparently used a sword).

Posted By: justsaymoe Re: Mauser Actions - 01/08/09
As to why? Just guessing, but there are plenty of them at reasonable (cheap) prices, and are of high quality. German mfg rifles are more collectable and worth more whole, thus leaving the vz's to fill the need for actions to customize.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Mauser Actions - 01/08/09
The Czechs always took their iron seriously. I would have no compunctions about a 24.
Posted By: btb375 Re: Mauser Actions - 01/08/09
The actions made before Germany took over and enslaved the workers are better. There may have been poorer heat treating in the later actions, mainly due the sabatoge.
The VZ - 24 is the best non Greman action.
Posted By: Rangr44 Re: Mauser Actions - 01/08/09
If you can get your mitts on a 1909 Argentine action, they already have a hinged magazine floorplate - and are generally considered to make the nicest sporters, as they are muchsmoother internally/externally than most other Mauser 98's.

I had a 1909, nicely restocked & rebarreled to 7x57 from the 7.65 Argentine - but have seen some that were simply rechambered to .30-06 (which I personally would never shoot).

Posted By: 13579 Re: Mauser Actions - 01/08/09
"24" represents the year of the design, 1924 and replaced the 98/22 mauser that was in production before it."

What was the difference between the VZ 24 and the 98 style it replaced?

Yesterday, I was in a gun store and they had one for sale. It had been converted to a sporter in .308 Win. It is the only VZ 24 I have ever seen. The metal work was immaculate, with a jeweled bolt, low scope safety, and turned down bolt handle. It had a Bushnell scope on it, so I was unable to see the markings on the receiver ring. They were still there, but I could not see all of them. A great polish and blue on the action and barrel.

It had the original trigger and the military floor plate (non-hinged) Someone, who was a crude stockmaker, had tried to make a Weatherby clone for it, but he did not have the required skill. The stock was lousy.

The price was $329.00. I would have bought it, but right now I am financhily challenged. If I could get it, I would replace the stock, but I am more interested in the barreled action.

I plan to check back in a month or so. Hopefully, they will still have it.

Opinions, please, if it is worth the asking price.
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Mauser Actions - 01/08/09
VZ-24 before and after pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mike
Posted By: richj Re: Mauser Actions - 01/09/09
Lion - E3

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 13579 Re: Mauser Actions - 01/09/09
The scope bases covered up the markings on the receiver, but the VZ 24 was stamped on the outside of the left side rail.

How does the VZ 24 differ from any of the other 98 Mausers?
Posted By: justsaymoe Re: Mauser Actions - 01/09/09
They are basically the same action as other 98's except Yugoslavian which are a slightly shorter actionand some Turkish 98's have small barrel threads.

Some experts can correct me, but most if not all action parts will interchange between the German made and Czech 98s. The main difference between all of the variants are the styling of the rifle itself, barrel length, sights, chambering, etc. The action being identical.
Posted By: like2shoot Re: Mauser Actions - 01/09/09
IIRC, the VZ-24 action is a small ring, standard length action?
Posted By: justsaymoe Re: Mauser Actions - 01/09/09
Large ring, standard length
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mauser Actions - 01/09/09
I have dinked with a lot of military Mausers, including VZ-24's and 1909 Argentines. Unless you can get them for free, you're a lot better off looking for a commercial 98 action, whether a Yugoslavian Mark X/Daly/Remington 798 or an FN. Both are often found on some older commercial rifles made by other companies as well. Otherwise the cost to have the military action converted is way out of line with the end result.
Posted By: DMB Re: Mauser Actions - 01/09/09
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have dinked with a lot of military Mausers, including VZ-24's and 1909 Argentines. Unless you can get them for free, you're a lot better off looking for a commercial 98 action, whether a Yugoslavian Mark X/Daly/Remington 798 or an FN. Both are often found on some older commercial rifles made by other companies as well. Otherwise the cost to have the military action converted is way out of line with the end result.

Amen. That's why I stopped buying them about 20 years ago. The final cost of having one made so it's useable for a sporting rifle is way out of line compared with the cost of a commercial Mauser. So, I started buying Interarms Mk X actions.
Posted By: 13579 Re: Mauser Actions - 01/09/09
"Otherwise the cost to have the military action converted is way out of line with the end result."

This one has already been converted by a skilled workman. Re-barreled to .308. The price, including a Bushnell scope is $329.00. Is that too high? The stock work is pretty good, too--it is just ugly.
Posted By: Dons1 Re: Mauser Actions - 01/09/09
Well... Take that $329 (+ tax) and add a $70+ trigger and if lucky find a nice used walnut stock for $80+, then maybe refinish the stock, bed the action and add a $25 recoil pad and other niceties and... voila! you have a $500+ rifle that likely won't shoot near as well as a clean, used 700 Rem, 110 Sav. Mod 70 etc that you could get for $100+ less than your Mauser investment.

Not mocking you. Just trying to help you avoid making the wrong investment, if you're looking for a solid and attractive .308 hunter.
Posted By: tbear Re: Mauser Actions - 01/10/09
This is a VZ24 in 257 Weatherby with a fluted & ported SS barrel, Timney Trigger, jeweled bolt w/Tubb spring, Titanium plated & a McMillan Edge. Yea, MD is right in for a Penney in for a pound on converted Mausers. I am sure I have more in the rifle than its worth. I also have custom 98's in 243 & 300 Win. Mag. A beautiful sporter 98 in 8MM fully engraved w.Mannlicher style stock. My DGR is a CZ in 416 Rigby. I do love my Mausers. Never had a jam in any of them. [Linked Image]
Posted By: TC1 Re: Mauser Actions - 01/10/09
The only way a commercial action comes out being a better deal is if that's what you wanted on your custom rifle in the first place. If it isn't then the rest of the project can only go down hill from there. The same goes for a milsurp action. The whole idea of building a custom rifle with the idea of saving money on components has always baffled me. They sell a lot of great rifles right off the shelf at gun shops. Yes, they are a compromise, but so is building a custom rifle trying save money.

It just seems like the long way around the shed to me.
Posted By: justsaymoe Re: Mauser Actions - 01/10/09
Originally Posted by 13579
"Otherwise the cost to have the military action converted is way out of line with the end result."

This one has already been converted by a skilled workman. Re-barreled to .308. The price, including a Bushnell scope is $329.00. Is that too high? The stock work is pretty good, too--it is just ugly.

Sounds like a deal. Like the others are saying, you can get close to a used 700 real fast. If you are happy with the way it is, the better off you are. You can get replacement synthetic stocks (or refinish it yourself) and a Bold trigger for reasonable prices.

I justified doing a few by doing most of the work myself and kept the total price reasonably less than $500. But, saying that, they are working rifles and not show pieces, but I am satisfied with them. I've done 5 and the last 2 were on Interarms actions.
Posted By: 3sixbits Re: Mauser Actions - 01/10/09
The term used to be "Sporterized" Now we call everything that was once military to it being custom.

Today the folks that want to do a so called custom want to do it for several reasons.

#1. They have a rifle or action.

#2. They can do it over time.

#3. They can pick what they want done, to fit there budget.

#4. They like the idea of CRF actions, for what ever is their reason.

Do they think they will save money this way? The one's I have asked will tell you they didn't do it to save money, they do it because they can afford it this way over time. Or they want to do some part (such as the stock) of the work themselves.
Posted By: powdr Re: Mauser Actions - 01/10/09
I just built a 358W on an old Erfert/Danzig action I gave $65 for.I did some horse trading for the stock and swing saftey and had a smith chamber a Douglas barrel along w/new bolt and drill - tap.I had a set of bases and rings and when it's finished I'll have about $450 in it.I need a stock length of 14in and I like the 3.1 in opening on the action for seating bullets out a little if need be.Could I have bought a BLR or Ruger for that much money? Nope and neither of the stocks would have fit me.So far I'm happy! powdr

P.S.I could care less about the CRF but it's a nice option to have.
Posted By: 13579 Re: Mauser Actions - 01/10/09
I have a 7 MM Weatherby on a Commercial FN action, a .300RUM in a SS M700.

To me, there is nothing better that a custom rifle on a Mauser Action. Commercial FN are not available now.

Yeah, with a trigger, a hinged floorplate, a new barrel in .257 Wthby. a different stock, opening up the bolt face, and and 2.5 X 8 Varx. III on it, then bluing it, I would have more than the cost of a new rifle in it.

However, that is what I want. It is a lot like having a wife, a girlfriend, and a new Corvette, and all three of them 2 months late.
Posted By: BooDude Re: Mauser Actions - 01/10/09
I did my custom vz 24 because I could do it a little at a time and I had good connections with a local gun shop that told me how to do what I could and did not charge me a lot for what they did for me. After almost 3 years I ended up with a rifle that I really love. I had a lot of fun, learned a lot, and might do it again if the circumstances are right. Good surplus actions are getting a lot harder to find and are rarely a bargin anymore.

$70 8mm Mauser vz-24
$20 Cleaning supplies (40 years of cosmoline/oil/carbon)
$10 Refinsh stock
$30 Timney trigger

Barrel was worthless, and while talking to the gunsmith I ended up trading my cleaned up mauser for another vz-24 that already had all the basic work (bolt handle, safety, scope mounts) done by one of the gunsmiths who decided not to finish.

$125 (new mauser $195-$75 trade in and I got to keep Timney trigger.)

$80 Choate stock (not fancy but it works)
$60 .270 barrel (FN barrel off JC Higgens, smith installed and recut a match chamber for free)
$150 glass bed, trigger work, metal work.

I know that I spent at least $500 if not $600, but like I said I enjoyed the ride. If you can afford it and know that you are getting want then I say have fun because it is your dream! All that said I agree with others that you should try to get a commercial mauser action.
Posted By: atkinsonhunting Re: Mauser Actions - 01/10/09
The VZ24, The Milsurp Brno, the 1909 Arg are all usable actions and I usually buy one based on its finished, looking for a smooth action, many are not, there is considerable difference in them...It is always a good idea to soften them, do your work, and have them broght back up to specs. D'Arcy Echols got me in this habit, and the cost is a mere $50 and thats good insurance.

However, my favorite actions are the Chileans, some 1908 Mausers, Puruvians, G-33/40s are wonderful, and best of all are those fantastic Commercial Brnos mod. 21 and 22 square bridge small rings. I also like the FNs well enough. There are other great actions..

One thing I am convienced of and that is Paul Mauser and his brother were icons and no better action exists, even today with all the modern techknowlgy out there. The pre 64 is the closest thing to a good Mauser..My mind is made up and I will not deter! smile
Posted By: CRS Re: Mauser Actions - 01/10/09
The only way a commercial action comes out being a better deal is if that's what you wanted on your custom rifle in the first place. If it isn't then the rest of the project can only go down hill from there. The same goes for a milsurp action. The whole idea of building a custom rifle with the idea of saving money on components has always baffled me. They sell a lot of great rifles right off the shelf at gun shops. Yes, they are a compromise, but so is building a custom rifle trying save money.

It just seems like the long way around the shed to me.

Amen

If you are building a true custom rifle, the action is the foundation. Trying to cut corners by using an action that is a great deal but not what YOU really want is shortsighted IMO.

As far as investment, you are much better buying off the shelf unique rifles. If you are doing all the work yourself, then you are just getting paid to do the labor.
Posted By: 3sixbits Re: Mauser Actions - 01/10/09
I've been collecting Pre-64 model 70's since the seventies and Mauser since then or before. I love model 70 pre-64's from and aesthetic stand point. But they do not handle gas as well as a Mauser. They just do not protect the shooter as well as the Mauser. The Dakota bolt action has improved gas handling, better than the Model 70 it copies.

I have gotten to the point that if it is for hunting, I only want Mauser, or M-70's pre-64's. If I had it to do over again, I would have only gotten into Commercial Mausers and left the rest of the stuff alone.
Posted By: 13579 Re: Mauser Actions - 01/10/09
It is one of those deals where I want it because I want it. I cetainly don't need it, but it is one of the nicest modified Mausers I have ever seen. Drilled and tapped, bolt bent, new safety, everything you would get on a commercial Mauser except the floor plate and trigger.

In the past, I have built several rifles on the 03 Springfield, 98 Mauser, military and commercial, and the P17. I like to do it, but I haven't done it in several years.

I know the cost (a lot), but I know how to do it.
Posted By: tomk Re: Mauser Actions - 01/10/09
Sad but true...el money pit.

At least you end up with a cool looking clip slot. Works great for thumbing one down to carry on a empty chamber.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Mauser Actions - 01/11/09
Originally Posted by powdr
I just built a 358W on an old Erfert/Danzig action I gave $65 for.I did some horse trading for the stock and swing saftey and had a smith chamber a Douglas barrel along w/new bolt and drill - tap.I had a set of bases and rings and when it's finished I'll have about $450 in it.I need a stock length of 14in and I like the 3.1 in opening on the action for seating bullets out a little if need be.Could I have bought a BLR or Ruger for that much money? Nope and neither of the stocks would have fit me.So far I'm happy! powdr

P.S.I could care less about the CRF but it's a nice option to have.

Your Smith works dirt cheap.

GTC
Posted By: sugarfoot Re: Mauser Actions - 01/11/09
I guess I'm lucky. I have a gunsmith freind,84 served 3 years Patton's thid Army, loves old Mauser's trade's me work for firewood, he burns in his shop, something I do anyway. but his way of paying. He has me convinced Paul Mauser had it right and every thing else is imitation.
I enjoy the old wormanship the most,and enjoy hunting with them, but like the other posts dont expect to save any money and wont get out what you paid in
Coop
Posted By: 62413x2 Re: Mauser Actions - 01/12/09

This is what you can do with a Mauser.Middle is FN 400 7 Mag,bottom is 1909 Argentine,300 Wby.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Mauser Actions - 01/12/09
Nice!!

Would love to see some better/closer pics.

Who built them?

Mike
Posted By: DMB Re: Mauser Actions - 01/12/09
Originally Posted by 62413x2

This is what you can do with a Mauser.Middle is FN 400 7 Mag,bottom is 1909 Argentine,300 Wby.

[Linked Image]

Now those are very nice rifles..BEAUTIFUL...
Posted By: rifle Re: Mauser Actions - 01/12/09
I buy Mausers now for a restoration project only. If it was not a sporter to start with,I don't touch it. I'm in the middle of a pre-war (WWI) J.P.Sauer in 8x57,.318 bore..Built about 1904,and geez,what a set of triggers!!! I'm still looking for one in 9.3x57 for the next one....
Posted By: Dons1 Re: Mauser Actions - 01/12/09
Rifle, Check Allan's Armory occasionally as he has Husky 9.3's - sometimes for a pretty fair price. www.allans-armory.com
Posted By: djs Re: Mauser Actions - 01/12/09
Originally Posted by btb375
The actions made before Germany took over and enslaved the workers are better. There may have been poorer heat treating in the later actions, mainly due the sabatoge.
The VZ - 24 is the best non Greman action.

The FN's were cartainly on the same (and in cases better) level than the German Mausers - beautiful machining and finishing.
Posted By: rifle Re: Mauser Actions - 01/12/09
If I knew how to post pictures,I could show you a SAKO built on a FN Supreme...about 1958 I think. I believe it is a Sako made barrel because of the different barrel taper than FN used.
Posted By: 62413x2 Re: Mauser Actions - 01/13/09

A few more,top VZ24,bottom FN 400 Supreme single shot.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: btb375 Re: Mauser Actions - 01/13/09
djs, I was only referring to the military actions.
The FN actions are the best period.

By the way, ER Shaw wilL mill of the hump, d&t, replace the bolt handle for about $120 plus some shipping.
I just got mine back, now what to do with it---
© 24hourcampfire