-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The term used to be "Sporterized" Now we call everything that was once military to it being custom.

Today the folks that want to do a so called custom want to do it for several reasons.

#1. They have a rifle or action.

#2. They can do it over time.

#3. They can pick what they want done, to fit there budget.

#4. They like the idea of CRF actions, for what ever is their reason.

Do they think they will save money this way? The one's I have asked will tell you they didn't do it to save money, they do it because they can afford it this way over time. Or they want to do some part (such as the stock) of the work themselves.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just built a 358W on an old Erfert/Danzig action I gave $65 for.I did some horse trading for the stock and swing saftey and had a smith chamber a Douglas barrel along w/new bolt and drill - tap.I had a set of bases and rings and when it's finished I'll have about $450 in it.I need a stock length of 14in and I like the 3.1 in opening on the action for seating bullets out a little if need be.Could I have bought a BLR or Ruger for that much money? Nope and neither of the stocks would have fit me.So far I'm happy! powdr

P.S.I could care less about the CRF but it's a nice option to have.

13579 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have a 7 MM Weatherby on a Commercial FN action, a .300RUM in a SS M700.

To me, there is nothing better that a custom rifle on a Mauser Action. Commercial FN are not available now.

Yeah, with a trigger, a hinged floorplate, a new barrel in .257 Wthby. a different stock, opening up the bolt face, and and 2.5 X 8 Varx. III on it, then bluing it, I would have more than the cost of a new rifle in it.

However, that is what I want. It is a lot like having a wife, a girlfriend, and a new Corvette, and all three of them 2 months late.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I did my custom vz 24 because I could do it a little at a time and I had good connections with a local gun shop that told me how to do what I could and did not charge me a lot for what they did for me. After almost 3 years I ended up with a rifle that I really love. I had a lot of fun, learned a lot, and might do it again if the circumstances are right. Good surplus actions are getting a lot harder to find and are rarely a bargin anymore.

$70 8mm Mauser vz-24
$20 Cleaning supplies (40 years of cosmoline/oil/carbon)
$10 Refinsh stock
$30 Timney trigger

Barrel was worthless, and while talking to the gunsmith I ended up trading my cleaned up mauser for another vz-24 that already had all the basic work (bolt handle, safety, scope mounts) done by one of the gunsmiths who decided not to finish.

$125 (new mauser $195-$75 trade in and I got to keep Timney trigger.)

$80 Choate stock (not fancy but it works)
$60 .270 barrel (FN barrel off JC Higgens, smith installed and recut a match chamber for free)
$150 glass bed, trigger work, metal work.

I know that I spent at least $500 if not $600, but like I said I enjoyed the ride. If you can afford it and know that you are getting want then I say have fun because it is your dream! All that said I agree with others that you should try to get a commercial mauser action.

Last edited by BooDude; 01/10/09.

Reputation is what others think they know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your Honor and outlive the bastards. Ariel Vorkosigan
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The VZ24, The Milsurp Brno, the 1909 Arg are all usable actions and I usually buy one based on its finished, looking for a smooth action, many are not, there is considerable difference in them...It is always a good idea to soften them, do your work, and have them broght back up to specs. D'Arcy Echols got me in this habit, and the cost is a mere $50 and thats good insurance.

However, my favorite actions are the Chileans, some 1908 Mausers, Puruvians, G-33/40s are wonderful, and best of all are those fantastic Commercial Brnos mod. 21 and 22 square bridge small rings. I also like the FNs well enough. There are other great actions..

One thing I am convienced of and that is Paul Mauser and his brother were icons and no better action exists, even today with all the modern techknowlgy out there. The pre 64 is the closest thing to a good Mauser..My mind is made up and I will not deter! smile

IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only way a commercial action comes out being a better deal is if that's what you wanted on your custom rifle in the first place. If it isn't then the rest of the project can only go down hill from there. The same goes for a milsurp action. The whole idea of building a custom rifle with the idea of saving money on components has always baffled me. They sell a lot of great rifles right off the shelf at gun shops. Yes, they are a compromise, but so is building a custom rifle trying save money.

It just seems like the long way around the shed to me.

Amen

If you are building a true custom rifle, the action is the foundation. Trying to cut corners by using an action that is a great deal but not what YOU really want is shortsighted IMO.

As far as investment, you are much better buying off the shelf unique rifles. If you are doing all the work yourself, then you are just getting paid to do the labor.

Last edited by CRS; 01/10/09.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been collecting Pre-64 model 70's since the seventies and Mauser since then or before. I love model 70 pre-64's from and aesthetic stand point. But they do not handle gas as well as a Mauser. They just do not protect the shooter as well as the Mauser. The Dakota bolt action has improved gas handling, better than the Model 70 it copies.

I have gotten to the point that if it is for hunting, I only want Mauser, or M-70's pre-64's. If I had it to do over again, I would have only gotten into Commercial Mausers and left the rest of the stuff alone.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
13579 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It is one of those deals where I want it because I want it. I cetainly don't need it, but it is one of the nicest modified Mausers I have ever seen. Drilled and tapped, bolt bent, new safety, everything you would get on a commercial Mauser except the floor plate and trigger.

In the past, I have built several rifles on the 03 Springfield, 98 Mauser, military and commercial, and the P17. I like to do it, but I haven't done it in several years.

I know the cost (a lot), but I know how to do it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sad but true...el money pit.

At least you end up with a cool looking clip slot. Works great for thumbing one down to carry on a empty chamber.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by powdr
I just built a 358W on an old Erfert/Danzig action I gave $65 for.I did some horse trading for the stock and swing saftey and had a smith chamber a Douglas barrel along w/new bolt and drill - tap.I had a set of bases and rings and when it's finished I'll have about $450 in it.I need a stock length of 14in and I like the 3.1 in opening on the action for seating bullets out a little if need be.Could I have bought a BLR or Ruger for that much money? Nope and neither of the stocks would have fit me.So far I'm happy! powdr

P.S.I could care less about the CRF but it's a nice option to have.

Your Smith works dirt cheap.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I guess I'm lucky. I have a gunsmith freind,84 served 3 years Patton's thid Army, loves old Mauser's trade's me work for firewood, he burns in his shop, something I do anyway. but his way of paying. He has me convinced Paul Mauser had it right and every thing else is imitation.
I enjoy the old wormanship the most,and enjoy hunting with them, but like the other posts dont expect to save any money and wont get out what you paid in
Coop

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

This is what you can do with a Mauser.Middle is FN 400 7 Mag,bottom is 1909 Argentine,300 Wby.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice!!

Would love to see some better/closer pics.

Who built them?

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 62413x2

This is what you can do with a Mauser.Middle is FN 400 7 Mag,bottom is 1909 Argentine,300 Wby.

[Linked Image]

Now those are very nice rifles..BEAUTIFUL...

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I buy Mausers now for a restoration project only. If it was not a sporter to start with,I don't touch it. I'm in the middle of a pre-war (WWI) J.P.Sauer in 8x57,.318 bore..Built about 1904,and geez,what a set of triggers!!! I'm still looking for one in 9.3x57 for the next one....

Last edited by rifle; 01/12/09.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Rifle, Check Allan's Armory occasionally as he has Husky 9.3's - sometimes for a pretty fair price. www.allans-armory.com

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by btb375
The actions made before Germany took over and enslaved the workers are better. There may have been poorer heat treating in the later actions, mainly due the sabatoge.
The VZ - 24 is the best non Greman action.

The FN's were cartainly on the same (and in cases better) level than the German Mausers - beautiful machining and finishing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I knew how to post pictures,I could show you a SAKO built on a FN Supreme...about 1958 I think. I believe it is a Sako made barrel because of the different barrel taper than FN used.

Last edited by rifle; 01/12/09.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

A few more,top VZ24,bottom FN 400 Supreme single shot.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
djs, I was only referring to the military actions.
The FN actions are the best period.

By the way, ER Shaw wilL mill of the hump, d&t, replace the bolt handle for about $120 plus some shipping.
I just got mine back, now what to do with it---

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (22250rem, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 160user, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,235
Posts18,504,442
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.