Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
13579 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Could someone give me some detailed information on a VZ 24. Mauser action?

I have read that they are one of the more desirable actions for a custom rifle, but I would like to have some details on when and where they were made and why they are sought after, if they are.

Thanks.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
From Wikipedia:

The vz. 24 rifle[1] is a rifle designed and produced in Czechoslovakia from 1924 to 1942. It was developed from the Mauser Gewehr 98 line, though is not a clone of any specific Mauser model. The Wehrmacht had 11 divisions equipped with the rifle at the start of war, though vast majority of its life as a military service rifles was during peacetime with the Czechoslovak Army. Production continued for the German Army, which designated it Gewehr 24(t). About 762,000 rifles of this pattern were produced in Czechoslovakia for the Czechoslovak army and some other 330,050 for the German armed forces.

The vz. 24 rifle was designed in Czechoslovakia shortly after WWI. "vz." is an abbreviation for vzor, which translates to model, "24" represents the year of the design, 1924 and replaced the 98/22 mauser that was in production before it. The vz. 24 was produced in Brno and Pova�sk� Bystrica (from 1938-1942). The only way to identify the production location is by the serial number pattern and the VTLU code. A Brno manufactured rifle would have a serial number as such: 1234 T3. A Pova�sk� manufactured rifle would follow this pattern: A5 2345. The VTLU code (Czech acronym VTLU stands for Vojensk� technick� a leteck� �stav - Military technical and aviation institute, which was responsible for acceptance of Czechoslovak army weapons) was an inspection and acceptance stamp. A code observed would be E4-lion-38. The E4 would denote where the acceptance took place (in this case it would be Pova�sk� Bystrica), the lion would be the national symbol of Czechoslovakia and the 38 represents the year, 1938. Here is a breakdown of VTLU codes:

1. E1 - Pilsen (Plzeň)
2. E2 - Adamov
3. E3 - Brno
4. E4 - Pova�sk� Bystrica
5. E5 - Vla�im
6. E6 - Semtin
7. E7 - Strakonice
8. E8 - Prague (Praha)

The vz. 24 rifle was widely used the world over. Japan, Romania, Iran, Guatemala, China etc. Many of the contract rifles made for South American countries were chambered in 7 mm Mauser.

During WWII, the vz. 24 was produced for the German military. The factory was located at Pova�sk� Bystrica in the Slovak Republic. The code used was dou.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Persian Brno
* 2 See also
* 3 References
* 4 External links

[edit] Persian Brno

The rifle found its way into Iran very quickly where it became known as the 'Berno', following the name of the city of Brno, Czechoslovakia, where the rifles were originally manufactured. The Mauser rifle was selected for the Iranian Army during the reign of Reza Shah Pahlavi, however Iran never ordered any from Germany instead preferring the Czechoslovak variant.

The Iranian version had a Pahlavi crown and lion and sun crest atop the receiver ring, as well as an inscription in Persian (in Nasta'liq script) on the side of its receiver giving the model and the factory name.

In the late 1940s Iran's Taslihat-e Artesh (Arms Factories of the Army), popularly known as Mosalsal-sazi (the machine-gun factory), in Tehran started production of these Brno rifles. The required machinery and manufacturing knowledge was provided to Iran through the industrial firm �koda, which had a long history of cooperation with Iran. Iran produced two models: the vz. 24 as "Berno" and a short version known as "Berno kootah" (short Brno) under a licence from CZ.

The only difference between the local Iranian version and the Czech version was the markings on the side of the receiver: instead of naming Brno as the maker, it was written "sakht-e aslah-e sazi-e artesh" (made by the Army Arms factory).

The Brno remained as the standard Iranian infantry weapon until it was replaced by the more modern, semi-automatic, American M1 Garand rifle in 1960. Following the change, the Brno was confined to the gendarmerie and the game wardens for a while, before it was decommissioned from active use. In the 1970s it was used mainly in ceremonial occasions

The Iranian Brno rifles saw action in a number of places from tribal uprisings in Kurdistan to the coup removing Mohammad Mossadegh from power. During the 1979 revolution, the gun re-appeared in the hands of the revolutionaries and tribesmen, who had never abandoned their Brnos. Besides the rebels, the Islamic government too had a use for Brno: It was, and is, used in official Friday prayer ceremonies. The speaker is required to have 'the weapon of the day' by his side, according to the tradition of the Prophet (he apparently used a sword).

Moe

"Pick out two!"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
As to why? Just guessing, but there are plenty of them at reasonable (cheap) prices, and are of high quality. German mfg rifles are more collectable and worth more whole, thus leaving the vz's to fill the need for actions to customize.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Czechs always took their iron seriously. I would have no compunctions about a 24.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The actions made before Germany took over and enslaved the workers are better. There may have been poorer heat treating in the later actions, mainly due the sabatoge.
The VZ - 24 is the best non Greman action.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you can get your mitts on a 1909 Argentine action, they already have a hinged magazine floorplate - and are generally considered to make the nicest sporters, as they are muchsmoother internally/externally than most other Mauser 98's.

I had a 1909, nicely restocked & rebarreled to 7x57 from the 7.65 Argentine - but have seen some that were simply rechambered to .30-06 (which I personally would never shoot).

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
13579 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
"24" represents the year of the design, 1924 and replaced the 98/22 mauser that was in production before it."

What was the difference between the VZ 24 and the 98 style it replaced?

Yesterday, I was in a gun store and they had one for sale. It had been converted to a sporter in .308 Win. It is the only VZ 24 I have ever seen. The metal work was immaculate, with a jeweled bolt, low scope safety, and turned down bolt handle. It had a Bushnell scope on it, so I was unable to see the markings on the receiver ring. They were still there, but I could not see all of them. A great polish and blue on the action and barrel.

It had the original trigger and the military floor plate (non-hinged) Someone, who was a crude stockmaker, had tried to make a Weatherby clone for it, but he did not have the required skill. The stock was lousy.

The price was $329.00. I would have bought it, but right now I am financhily challenged. If I could get it, I would replace the stock, but I am more interested in the barreled action.

I plan to check back in a month or so. Hopefully, they will still have it.

Opinions, please, if it is worth the asking price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
VZ-24 before and after pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Lion - E3

[Linked Image]

13579 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The scope bases covered up the markings on the receiver, but the VZ 24 was stamped on the outside of the left side rail.

How does the VZ 24 differ from any of the other 98 Mausers?

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
They are basically the same action as other 98's except Yugoslavian which are a slightly shorter actionand some Turkish 98's have small barrel threads.

Some experts can correct me, but most if not all action parts will interchange between the German made and Czech 98s. The main difference between all of the variants are the styling of the rifle itself, barrel length, sights, chambering, etc. The action being identical.

Last edited by justsaymoe; 01/08/09.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IIRC, the VZ-24 action is a small ring, standard length action?

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Large ring, standard length

Moe

"Pick out two!"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have dinked with a lot of military Mausers, including VZ-24's and 1909 Argentines. Unless you can get them for free, you're a lot better off looking for a commercial 98 action, whether a Yugoslavian Mark X/Daly/Remington 798 or an FN. Both are often found on some older commercial rifles made by other companies as well. Otherwise the cost to have the military action converted is way out of line with the end result.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have dinked with a lot of military Mausers, including VZ-24's and 1909 Argentines. Unless you can get them for free, you're a lot better off looking for a commercial 98 action, whether a Yugoslavian Mark X/Daly/Remington 798 or an FN. Both are often found on some older commercial rifles made by other companies as well. Otherwise the cost to have the military action converted is way out of line with the end result.

Amen. That's why I stopped buying them about 20 years ago. The final cost of having one made so it's useable for a sporting rifle is way out of line compared with the cost of a commercial Mauser. So, I started buying Interarms Mk X actions.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

13579 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
"Otherwise the cost to have the military action converted is way out of line with the end result."

This one has already been converted by a skilled workman. Re-barreled to .308. The price, including a Bushnell scope is $329.00. Is that too high? The stock work is pretty good, too--it is just ugly.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Well... Take that $329 (+ tax) and add a $70+ trigger and if lucky find a nice used walnut stock for $80+, then maybe refinish the stock, bed the action and add a $25 recoil pad and other niceties and... voila! you have a $500+ rifle that likely won't shoot near as well as a clean, used 700 Rem, 110 Sav. Mod 70 etc that you could get for $100+ less than your Mauser investment.

Not mocking you. Just trying to help you avoid making the wrong investment, if you're looking for a solid and attractive .308 hunter.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This is a VZ24 in 257 Weatherby with a fluted & ported SS barrel, Timney Trigger, jeweled bolt w/Tubb spring, Titanium plated & a McMillan Edge. Yea, MD is right in for a Penney in for a pound on converted Mausers. I am sure I have more in the rifle than its worth. I also have custom 98's in 243 & 300 Win. Mag. A beautiful sporter 98 in 8MM fully engraved w.Mannlicher style stock. My DGR is a CZ in 416 Rigby. I do love my Mausers. Never had a jam in any of them. [Linked Image]

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only way a commercial action comes out being a better deal is if that's what you wanted on your custom rifle in the first place. If it isn't then the rest of the project can only go down hill from there. The same goes for a milsurp action. The whole idea of building a custom rifle with the idea of saving money on components has always baffled me. They sell a lot of great rifles right off the shelf at gun shops. Yes, they are a compromise, but so is building a custom rifle trying save money.

It just seems like the long way around the shed to me.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 13579
"Otherwise the cost to have the military action converted is way out of line with the end result."

This one has already been converted by a skilled workman. Re-barreled to .308. The price, including a Bushnell scope is $329.00. Is that too high? The stock work is pretty good, too--it is just ugly.

Sounds like a deal. Like the others are saying, you can get close to a used 700 real fast. If you are happy with the way it is, the better off you are. You can get replacement synthetic stocks (or refinish it yourself) and a Bold trigger for reasonable prices.

I justified doing a few by doing most of the work myself and kept the total price reasonably less than $500. But, saying that, they are working rifles and not show pieces, but I am satisfied with them. I've done 5 and the last 2 were on Interarms actions.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 22250rem, 1badf350, 160user, 12savage, 53 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,299
Posts18,505,349
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.