Home
Posted By: AmericanEyes First Lever Gun - 10/07/23
I picked up my first lever gun today. Winchester 94 manufactured in 1953. Very pleased with it.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Edit: Finally figured out how to get the photos on here.
Posted By: Docbar Re: First Lever Gun - 10/08/23
What caliber?
Posted By: tmitch Re: First Lever Gun - 10/08/23
Congrats! Everyone needs at least one
Posted By: domit Re: First Lever Gun - 10/08/23
mine was a savage 99 in 3030
Posted By: AmericanEyes Re: First Lever Gun - 10/08/23
Originally Posted by Docbar
What caliber?
30-30
Posted By: tdoyka Re: First Lever Gun - 10/08/23
congrats!!!

i had a 1972 Winchester m94 in 30-30, but i sent to JES Reboring and he did a 35/30-30.

sighting in
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: First Lever Gun - 10/08/23
I have a '70 M94 in .30-30 that I've used almost every year since 1970, still shoots good, kills deer dead.

Only changes are I added a sling and changed the sights to Williams FP rear, XS front.
What “upgrades” would you recommend? I want to keep it original, so no scope. What’s your opinion on better sights or a sling that won’t mar the appearance of a classic gun?
In my experience, the receiver sight is a huge upgrade. The longer sight radius will help with accuracy, and the aperture allows better visual acquisition, you don't cover up half the target with the back sight. It is also a natural part of sighting that the eye centers the front sight in the rear.

I have tried Skinner, XS, and Williams sights, along with a Marbles front bead sight. I've settled on the XS front sight and the Williams FP at the receiver, though the Skinner Winged is a close second, the Williams' adjustability giving it an edge for me.

The XS would be most excellent for close, fast acquisition shooting, but it is a "ghost ring only" setup and suffers in accuracy at longer ranges. You can have a ghost ring on the Williams or Skinner by simply unscrewing the aperture. Skinner sells a variety of sizes in apertures that also fit the Williams, and the .070 is my favorite. I found that out comparing sight pictures to my Garand, which has a .070" aperture. The front sight is crisper-appearing, but has a better field of view than the .050" large target disc. Scope is better, but on the M94, that's not an option.

If not too involved, a larger loop lever to accommodate gloves is nice. Larger than OEM, but not huge. I have not changed that on my M94.

The sling, to me, is simply what you like, just buy quality parts and do a good install. Make sure everything stays tight.
A much-recycled pic of my M94, a pure "woods rifle" if there ever was one. It still has the Marbles bead on the front in this pic.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Good looking gun. Thanks Vic.
Posted By: moosemike Re: First Lever Gun - 10/09/23
Nice. My model 94 was also made in 53
Posted By: Sherwood Re: First Lever Gun - 10/09/23
I started out on my very first deer hunt (1971) with a borrowed Winchester carbine. Less than one hour into the hunt a group of does walked past my stand and I leveled the rifle across my knees and lined up the sights upon the biggest one. My shot tore through the chest organs. Distance was about 60 yards or so. At the shot, this doe bounded away but toppled in mid stride after just a few jumps. 30-30 is a keeper! - Sherwood
Posted By: AmericanEyes Re: First Lever Gun - 10/09/23
Originally Posted by Sherwood
I started out on my very first deer hunt (1971) with a borrowed Winchester carbine. Less than one hour into the hunt a group of does walked past my stand and I leveled the rifle across my knees and lined up the sights upon the biggest one. My shot tore through the chest organs. Distance was about 60 yards or so. At the shot, this doe bounded away but toppled in mid stride after just a few jumps. 30-30 is a keeper! - Sherwood
Have you seen any difference on game between 30-30 and other .30 caliber rounds?
Posted By: tmitch Re: First Lever Gun - 10/09/23
Originally Posted by AmericanEyes
What “upgrades” would you recommend? I want to keep it original, so no scope. What’s your opinion on better sights or a sling that won’t mar the appearance of a classic gun?

IF it were me I wouldn't drill any holes in it. Since it isn't D&T for a receiver sight I'd look for a correct vintage tang sight by Lyman or Marbles. A modern made tang sight from them would work also. A swivel that clamps to the magazine tube for the front and a butt cuff type rear sling mount would work without drilling the wood. I never saw the need for a sling on a '94 carbine, they're an easy one hand carry. But it's not mine so do as you see fit. I like keeping vintage vintage, it works for me. JMO YMMV

Posted By: Sherwood Re: First Lever Gun - 10/09/23
American Eyes:

I have downed several deer with my elk rifle which is a Savage 99 in .308 but the fast 150 grain bullets destroy too much venison if the shoulder is struck. That's why I switched to 180 grain core-lokt ammo. As I see it, .308, 30-06, and the 300 magnums have the only advantage of more reach. 30-30 is ideal for the forest and foothills hunter who keeps his scope sighted shots no farther than about 150 yards or so. By ideal, I mean to say that it always does the job quite well, indeed. 30-30 bullets are specifically designed with a thin jacket at the nose area for deadly rapid expansion.

Sherwood
Posted By: AmericanEyes Re: First Lever Gun - 10/09/23
Originally Posted by Sherwood
American Eyes:

I have downed several deer with my elk rifle which is a Savage 99 in .308 but the fast 150 grain bullets destroy too much venison if the shoulder is struck. That's why I switched to 180 grain core-lokt ammo. As I see it, .308, 30-06, and the 300 magnums have the only advantage of more reach. 30-30 is ideal for the forest and foothills hunter who keeps his scope sighted shots no farther than about 150 yards or so. By ideal, I mean to say that it always does the job quite well, indeed. 30-30 bullets are specifically designed with a thin jacket at the nose area for deadly rapid expansion.

Sherwood
Thanks Sherwood
Posted By: iskra Re: First Lever Gun - 10/09/23
First, fully agreeing with advice DON'T DRILL THE RECEIVER! As no permanent alterations! Your rifle IS collectible now!

My personal solution as for '94 Win superior sight came to me accidentally. My pick of the litter vintage 1937 Carbine (First series with Win "Proof Steel Barrel & Last year of Carbine Butt plate). As all original, but for a King brand Full Buckhorn aft barrel sight with the gun as acquired. Calculated easily to be restored to original. After shooting the gun, fell in love with that King as for me the best solution of aging eyes and something of an aperture sight at maybe 16" from eye removed. "V" notch at the bottom as maybe useful for timed shots with good light and fair eyes. Yet...

Compare that with the tang sight which must be moved out of cycling interference with each function of the lever! In my 1908 Model 1894 Lightweight Rifle with such tang unit, timed shots more compatible and and looking cool too. For a 94 Carbine and concept of rapid follow up shots, not so. On a fifties era 94 carbine, maybe Buckhorn less era compatible precept, but the function remains viable. Few Pix below as sight needing "toothbrush"! smile
Just a suggestion and
Just my take!

Best!
John

Attached picture R258-1U.jpg
Attached picture R258-16.jpg
Attached picture R258-17.jpg
Attached picture R258-20U.jpg
Posted By: Blackheart Re: First Lever Gun - 10/09/23
I drilled and tapped my 1949 model 94 for a receiver sight and installed sling swivel studs long ago. I bought it to hunt with and have no intention of ever selling it so will have it set up HOW I WANT IT. I paid for the friggin thing and I intend to get the use out of it. Not a bit concerned with keeping it original for my heirs or some unknown collector to enjoy after I'm gone. If they want one in unmolested condition they can damn well buy one themselves.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: First Lever Gun - 10/09/23
Congratulations,

That poor 94 has my sympathy………

It’s going to be awful lonely without another lever to “ hang with”.

I’d hate for it to develop a complex……

They are like potato 🥔 chips….

U can’t have just one.
Posted By: hanco Re: First Lever Gun - 10/10/23
My first lever was a Savage 99 in 308. My boy has it now, loves it. Several more 99’s have snuck in my gun safe. This 32-40 is especially fun to shoot.

Posted By: AmericanEyes Re: First Lever Gun - 10/10/23
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Congratulations,

U can’t have just one.
I’m itching for another one already. Maybe a Savage 99? Or maybe I should finish my Model 70 first? Decisions, decisions…
Posted By: tmitch Re: First Lever Gun - 10/10/23
Originally Posted by iskra
Compare that with the tang sight which must be moved out of cycling interference with each function of the lever! In my 1908 Model 1894 Lightweight Rifle with such tang unit, timed shots more compatible and and looking cool too. For a 94 Carbine and concept of rapid follow up shots, not so

Not sure I'm deciphering your post accurately but a correct-for-rifle tang sight does not interfere with the cycling of the action nor require being moved for each cycle. On a vintage Lyman No. 1 with the flip down aperture it quickly goes from a small diameter peep, for fine work in good light, to a "ghost ring" which is pretty quick to acquire even for follow ups.
Posted By: iskra Re: First Lever Gun - 10/10/23
Thanks Mr T for your insight. Below my referenced Model 1894 with what I take as a Lyman No. 1 sight. It is not fitted with what seems a target aperture you describe. In vertical operation is an interference fit with the bolt which impinges on it in before full aft cycle position. When I first got this rifle, I tried turning the sight 180' about. It fitted but there was some instability I didn't look into because its height wouldn't offer necessary vertical line of sight clearance at full extension anyway.
Perhaps I need to look into it further. I'm talking some several decades ago since I acquired the rifle and this messing about would have occurred. A few pix of the rifle, suspect Lyman and aft barrel sight which I used in test firing shortly after purchase. It's a nice old rifle and comfortable to shoot. smile

Best!
John

Attached picture R311-2.jpg
Attached picture R311-9U.jpg
Attached picture R311-22U.jpg
Attached picture R311-25U.jpg
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: First Lever Gun - 10/11/23
Originally Posted by hanco
My first lever was a Savage 99 in 308. My boy has it now, loves it. Several more 99’s have snuck in my gun safe. This 32-40 is especially fun to shoot.

Nice of you to offer GAZANS food to prevent starvation!
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: First Lever Gun - 10/22/23
I've had the Williams FP, XS and the Skinner peeps and like Vic in VA I prefer the Williams FP. I opted for the Williams fiber optic front sight though. Other than a sling I can't think of anything else I would add to it.
Here's my Winchester 94 NRA Commemorative with the Williams sights and a Montana sling. The owner of Montana slings is a member on here. https://montanagunslings.com/

Edit, I just looked at your pictures again and realized yours isn't drilled & tapped for the Williams peep so other than the sling I guess my suggestion won't help you.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AmericanEyes Re: First Lever Gun - 10/23/23
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I've had the Williams FP, XS and the Skinner peeps and like Vic in VA I prefer the Williams FP. I opted for the Williams fiber optic front sight though. Other than a sling I can't think of anything else I would add to it.
Here's my Winchester 94 NRA Commemorative with the Williams sights and a Montana sling. The owner of Montana slings is a member on here. https://montanagunslings.com/

Edit, I just looked at your pictures again and realized yours isn't drilled & tapped for the Williams peep so other than the sling I guess my suggestion won't help you.

[Linked Image]
I’m not opposed to having a smith drill and tap it to install a receiver sight.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: First Lever Gun - 10/24/23
The one I owned was made in 1955 and was factory d&t. I used the FP. If I planned on hunting one, I wouldn’t worry about having it drilled unless it was an extraordinary specimen. They made millions of ‘em. Just don’t let some fumblethumbs do it.
Posted By: WStrayer Re: First Lever Gun - 10/25/23
Ballistically the 30-30 is a mediocre cartridge. But the gun has sold the cartridge.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: First Lever Gun - 10/25/23
Originally Posted by WStrayer
Ballistically the 30-30 is a mediocre cartridge. But the gun has sold the cartridge.

Only mediocre by modern standards. And until optics came into widespread use, most people couldn’t take advantage of the range offered by better cartridges. Inside 200 yards, it doesn’t give up much to anything.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: First Lever Gun - 10/25/23
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Only mediocre by modern standards. And until optics came into widespread use, most people couldn’t take advantage of the range offered by better cartridges. Inside 200 yards, it doesn’t give up much to anything.
I've shot a hell of a lot of deer with mine {nearly 100} and find it kills them about as well as anything.
Posted By: moosemike Re: First Lever Gun - 10/25/23
Not for Woods hunting it's not
Posted By: Feral_American Re: First Lever Gun - 10/25/23
Originally Posted by moosemike

Wouldn't you maybe say that the 30-30 has probably put more deer on the meat pole than anything else?

Been a staple hunting cartridge for 128 years.
Posted By: moosemike Re: First Lever Gun - 10/25/23
Originally Posted by Feral_American

Wouldn't you maybe say that the 30-30 has probably put more deer on the meat pole than anything else?

I'd go along with that
Posted By: Direct_Drive Re: First Lever Gun - 10/25/23
You might want a "no drill" type sling like this if you want to keep the rifle unmolested.
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

On my more modern Marlins that have sling studs, I use Montana slings.
The Montana is a great sling for a levergun, but I don't know if they make "no drill" attachments.

I would stick with the stock buckhorn sights on the Winchester.
There is no elegant sight upgrade for the Winchester because of the open top receiver, in my opinion.
You would need a side mount doohickey of some type or some other appendage down where the buckhorn currently lives.
Posted By: Bugger Re: First Lever Gun - 10/25/23
My first lever gun was a Model 57 22LR. The trigger pull was over 15 lb. It was an accurate rifle after the trigger pull was some what fixed. But it fell apart after some use. I’d say it was a POS.
My cousin brought her 1965 model 94 30-30 over for me to sight it in for her. It shot 12”+ groups at 100 yards. I didn’t like lever guns for quite, but dad left me a ‘92 Winchester made in 1905. I liked that rifle. Now I have quite a few lever guns.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: First Lever Gun - 10/26/23
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
You might want a "no drill" type sling like this if you want to keep the rifle unmolested.
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

On my more modern Marlins that have sling studs, I use Montana slings.
The Montana is a great sling for a levergun, but I don't know if they make "no drill" attachments.

I would stick with the stock buckhorn sights on the Winchester.
There is no elegant sight upgrade for the Winchester because of the open top receiver, in my opinion.
You would need a side mount doohickey of some type or some other appendage down where the buckhorn currently lives.
A receiver mounted aperture sight is a huge upgrade over the stock barrel mounted rear sight as is a mini reflex/red dot mounted either on the receiver behind the ejection port or barrel mounted using the rear sight dovetail. I have a Williams receiver sight on one in combination with a green fiber optic up front and a Holosun 407cx2 mounted on the barrel of another.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: First Lever Gun - 10/26/23
Agree with the Williams crowd, they're a great upgrade on levers. The 5D and FP are ugly as dirt, but rock solid functional.
Posted By: moosemike Re: First Lever Gun - 10/26/23

I'd like to ask then why the .307 and .356 were not successful? If the guns sold in spite of the 30-30 cartridge then why didn't they sell even better with the more potent offerings?
Posted By: pete53 Re: First Lever Gun - 10/26/23
Originally Posted by Feral_American

maybe ? yes during hunting seasons yes the 30-30 is probably #1, but total deer shot no many cities have many many deer shot at night with a 223/556 shining deer while the general public is sleeping these snipers generally start on Sunday about 11 pm and quit shooting at 5 a.m. thru Thursday. believe me they have killed truck loads of deer in many states and cities in America.
Posted By: Bugger Re: First Lever Gun - 10/26/23

I have steel Lyman aperture sights on most of my lever guns. It’s the one I like best. I also have one or two early Redfield aperture sights - they vary a little bit on ability to adjust sights, mine are fully adjustable version. I have one aluminum Lyman sight on the lever gun, that gun has only been used for target shooting. I have one or two Williams sights. Williams are functional but are not equal to the steel Lyman sights.
Posted By: Gibby Re: First Lever Gun - 10/26/23
If you get the 9422, then down the road get the matching 9422M
Build your collection
Posted By: Mwbyler Re: First Lever Gun - 10/28/23
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Congratulations,

U can’t have just one.
I have to agree, I don't have a collection of guns but out of my 15 long guns 5 are lever, just something about a lever gun that appeals to me more than others
© 24hourcampfire