Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
My first lever was a Savage 99 in 308. My boy has it now, loves it. Several more 99’s have snuck in my gun safe. This 32-40 is especially fun to shoot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 10/09/23.
GB1

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Congratulations,

That poor 94 has my sympathy………

It’s going to be awful lonely without another lever to “ hang with”.

I’d hate for it to develop a complex……

They are like potato 🥔 chips….

U can’t have just one.
I’m itching for another one already. Maybe a Savage 99? Or maybe I should finish my Model 70 first? Decisions, decisions…

“Only accurate rifles are interesting.”
-Townsend Whelen
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by iskra
Compare that with the tang sight which must be moved out of cycling interference with each function of the lever! In my 1908 Model 1894 Lightweight Rifle with such tang unit, timed shots more compatible and and looking cool too. For a 94 Carbine and concept of rapid follow up shots, not so

Not sure I'm deciphering your post accurately but a correct-for-rifle tang sight does not interfere with the cycling of the action nor require being moved for each cycle. On a vintage Lyman No. 1 with the flip down aperture it quickly goes from a small diameter peep, for fine work in good light, to a "ghost ring" which is pretty quick to acquire even for follow ups.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Thanks Mr T for your insight. Below my referenced Model 1894 with what I take as a Lyman No. 1 sight. It is not fitted with what seems a target aperture you describe. In vertical operation is an interference fit with the bolt which impinges on it in before full aft cycle position. When I first got this rifle, I tried turning the sight 180' about. It fitted but there was some instability I didn't look into because its height wouldn't offer necessary vertical line of sight clearance at full extension anyway.
Perhaps I need to look into it further. I'm talking some several decades ago since I acquired the rifle and this messing about would have occurred. A few pix of the rifle, suspect Lyman and aft barrel sight which I used in test firing shortly after purchase. It's a nice old rifle and comfortable to shoot. smile

Best!
John

Attached Images
R311-2.jpg (24.31 KB, 203 downloads)
R311-9U.jpg (19.92 KB, 202 downloads)
R311-22U.jpg (14.78 KB, 202 downloads)
R311-25U.jpg (10.29 KB, 203 downloads)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
My first lever was a Savage 99 in 308. My boy has it now, loves it. Several more 99’s have snuck in my gun safe. This 32-40 is especially fun to shoot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice of you to offer GAZANS food to prevent starvation!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AmericanEyes
What “upgrades” would you recommend? I want to keep it original, so no scope. What’s your opinion on better sights or a sling that won’t mar the appearance of a classic gun?
I've had the Williams FP, XS and the Skinner peeps and like Vic in VA I prefer the Williams FP. I opted for the Williams fiber optic front sight though. Other than a sling I can't think of anything else I would add to it.
Here's my Winchester 94 NRA Commemorative with the Williams sights and a Montana sling. The owner of Montana slings is a member on here. https://montanagunslings.com/

Edit, I just looked at your pictures again and realized yours isn't drilled & tapped for the Williams peep so other than the sling I guess my suggestion won't help you.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by River_Ridge; 10/22/23.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
What “upgrades” would you recommend? I want to keep it original, so no scope. What’s your opinion on better sights or a sling that won’t mar the appearance of a classic gun?
I've had the Williams FP, XS and the Skinner peeps and like Vic in VA I prefer the Williams FP. I opted for the Williams fiber optic front sight though. Other than a sling I can't think of anything else I would add to it.
Here's my Winchester 94 NRA Commemorative with the Williams sights and a Montana sling. The owner of Montana slings is a member on here. https://montanagunslings.com/

Edit, I just looked at your pictures again and realized yours isn't drilled & tapped for the Williams peep so other than the sling I guess my suggestion won't help you.

[Linked Image]
I’m not opposed to having a smith drill and tap it to install a receiver sight.

“Only accurate rifles are interesting.”
-Townsend Whelen
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The one I owned was made in 1955 and was factory d&t. I used the FP. If I planned on hunting one, I wouldn’t worry about having it drilled unless it was an extraordinary specimen. They made millions of ‘em. Just don’t let some fumblethumbs do it.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Ballistically the 30-30 is a mediocre cartridge. But the gun has sold the cartridge.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by WStrayer
Ballistically the 30-30 is a mediocre cartridge. But the gun has sold the cartridge.

Only mediocre by modern standards. And until optics came into widespread use, most people couldn’t take advantage of the range offered by better cartridges. Inside 200 yards, it doesn’t give up much to anything.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Only mediocre by modern standards. And until optics came into widespread use, most people couldn’t take advantage of the range offered by better cartridges. Inside 200 yards, it doesn’t give up much to anything.
I've shot a hell of a lot of deer with mine {nearly 100} and find it kills them about as well as anything.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not for Woods hunting it's not

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by moosemike

Wouldn't you maybe say that the 30-30 has probably put more deer on the meat pole than anything else?

Been a staple hunting cartridge for 128 years.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Feral_American

Wouldn't you maybe say that the 30-30 has probably put more deer on the meat pole than anything else?

I'd go along with that

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You might want a "no drill" type sling like this if you want to keep the rifle unmolested.
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

On my more modern Marlins that have sling studs, I use Montana slings.
The Montana is a great sling for a levergun, but I don't know if they make "no drill" attachments.

I would stick with the stock buckhorn sights on the Winchester.
There is no elegant sight upgrade for the Winchester because of the open top receiver, in my opinion.
You would need a side mount doohickey of some type or some other appendage down where the buckhorn currently lives.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first lever gun was a Model 57 22LR. The trigger pull was over 15 lb. It was an accurate rifle after the trigger pull was some what fixed. But it fell apart after some use. I’d say it was a POS.
My cousin brought her 1965 model 94 30-30 over for me to sight it in for her. It shot 12”+ groups at 100 yards. I didn’t like lever guns for quite, but dad left me a ‘92 Winchester made in 1905. I liked that rifle. Now I have quite a few lever guns.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
You might want a "no drill" type sling like this if you want to keep the rifle unmolested.
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

On my more modern Marlins that have sling studs, I use Montana slings.
The Montana is a great sling for a levergun, but I don't know if they make "no drill" attachments.

I would stick with the stock buckhorn sights on the Winchester.
There is no elegant sight upgrade for the Winchester because of the open top receiver, in my opinion.
You would need a side mount doohickey of some type or some other appendage down where the buckhorn currently lives.
A receiver mounted aperture sight is a huge upgrade over the stock barrel mounted rear sight as is a mini reflex/red dot mounted either on the receiver behind the ejection port or barrel mounted using the rear sight dovetail. I have a Williams receiver sight on one in combination with a green fiber optic up front and a Holosun 407cx2 mounted on the barrel of another.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Agree with the Williams crowd, they're a great upgrade on levers. The 5D and FP are ugly as dirt, but rock solid functional.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'd like to ask then why the .307 and .356 were not successful? If the guns sold in spite of the 30-30 cartridge then why didn't they sell even better with the more potent offerings?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Feral_American

maybe ? yes during hunting seasons yes the 30-30 is probably #1, but total deer shot no many cities have many many deer shot at night with a 223/556 shining deer while the general public is sleeping these snipers generally start on Sunday about 11 pm and quit shooting at 5 a.m. thru Thursday. believe me they have killed truck loads of deer in many states and cities in America.

Last edited by pete53; 10/26/23.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (160user, 222ND, 2500HD, 2003and2013, 257 mag, 163bc, 61 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,789
Posts18,477,285
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.