Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I picked up my first lever gun today. Winchester 94 manufactured in 1953. Very pleased with it.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Edit: Finally figured out how to get the photos on here.

Last edited by AmericanEyes; 10/08/23.

“Only accurate rifles are interesting.”
-Townsend Whelen
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
What caliber?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Congrats! Everyone needs at least one

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mine was a savage 99 in 3030

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Docbar
What caliber?
30-30

-Townsend Whelen
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
congrats!!!

i had a 1972 Winchester m94 in 30-30, but i sent to JES Reboring and he did a 35/30-30.

sighting in
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a '70 M94 in .30-30 that I've used almost every year since 1970, still shoots good, kills deer dead.

Only changes are I added a sling and changed the sights to Williams FP rear, XS front.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
What “upgrades” would you recommend? I want to keep it original, so no scope. What’s your opinion on better sights or a sling that won’t mar the appearance of a classic gun?

-Townsend Whelen
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my experience, the receiver sight is a huge upgrade. The longer sight radius will help with accuracy, and the aperture allows better visual acquisition, you don't cover up half the target with the back sight. It is also a natural part of sighting that the eye centers the front sight in the rear.

I have tried Skinner, XS, and Williams sights, along with a Marbles front bead sight. I've settled on the XS front sight and the Williams FP at the receiver, though the Skinner Winged is a close second, the Williams' adjustability giving it an edge for me.

The XS would be most excellent for close, fast acquisition shooting, but it is a "ghost ring only" setup and suffers in accuracy at longer ranges. You can have a ghost ring on the Williams or Skinner by simply unscrewing the aperture. Skinner sells a variety of sizes in apertures that also fit the Williams, and the .070 is my favorite. I found that out comparing sight pictures to my Garand, which has a .070" aperture. The front sight is crisper-appearing, but has a better field of view than the .050" large target disc. Scope is better, but on the M94, that's not an option.

If not too involved, a larger loop lever to accommodate gloves is nice. Larger than OEM, but not huge. I have not changed that on my M94.

The sling, to me, is simply what you like, just buy quality parts and do a good install. Make sure everything stays tight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A much-recycled pic of my M94, a pure "woods rifle" if there ever was one. It still has the Marbles bead on the front in this pic.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

IC B3

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Good looking gun. Thanks Vic.

-Townsend Whelen
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice. My model 94 was also made in 53

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I started out on my very first deer hunt (1971) with a borrowed Winchester carbine. Less than one hour into the hunt a group of does walked past my stand and I leveled the rifle across my knees and lined up the sights upon the biggest one. My shot tore through the chest organs. Distance was about 60 yards or so. At the shot, this doe bounded away but toppled in mid stride after just a few jumps. 30-30 is a keeper! - Sherwood

Last edited by Sherwood; 10/09/23. Reason: spelling fixed

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Sherwood
I started out on my very first deer hunt (1971) with a borrowed Winchester carbine. Less than one hour into the hunt a group of does walked past my stand and I leveled the rifle across my knees and lined up the sights upon the biggest one. My shot tore through the chest organs. Distance was about 60 yards or so. At the shot, this doe bounded away but toppled in mid stride after just a few jumps. 30-30 is a keeper! - Sherwood
Have you seen any difference on game between 30-30 and other .30 caliber rounds?

-Townsend Whelen
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by AmericanEyes
What “upgrades” would you recommend? I want to keep it original, so no scope. What’s your opinion on better sights or a sling that won’t mar the appearance of a classic gun?

IF it were me I wouldn't drill any holes in it. Since it isn't D&T for a receiver sight I'd look for a correct vintage tang sight by Lyman or Marbles. A modern made tang sight from them would work also. A swivel that clamps to the magazine tube for the front and a butt cuff type rear sling mount would work without drilling the wood. I never saw the need for a sling on a '94 carbine, they're an easy one hand carry. But it's not mine so do as you see fit. I like keeping vintage vintage, it works for me. JMO YMMV

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
American Eyes:

I have downed several deer with my elk rifle which is a Savage 99 in .308 but the fast 150 grain bullets destroy too much venison if the shoulder is struck. That's why I switched to 180 grain core-lokt ammo. As I see it, .308, 30-06, and the 300 magnums have the only advantage of more reach. 30-30 is ideal for the forest and foothills hunter who keeps his scope sighted shots no farther than about 150 yards or so. By ideal, I mean to say that it always does the job quite well, indeed. 30-30 bullets are specifically designed with a thin jacket at the nose area for deadly rapid expansion.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Sherwood
American Eyes:

I have downed several deer with my elk rifle which is a Savage 99 in .308 but the fast 150 grain bullets destroy too much venison if the shoulder is struck. That's why I switched to 180 grain core-lokt ammo. As I see it, .308, 30-06, and the 300 magnums have the only advantage of more reach. 30-30 is ideal for the forest and foothills hunter who keeps his scope sighted shots no farther than about 150 yards or so. By ideal, I mean to say that it always does the job quite well, indeed. 30-30 bullets are specifically designed with a thin jacket at the nose area for deadly rapid expansion.

Sherwood
Thanks Sherwood

-Townsend Whelen
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
First, fully agreeing with advice DON'T DRILL THE RECEIVER! As no permanent alterations! Your rifle IS collectible now!

My personal solution as for '94 Win superior sight came to me accidentally. My pick of the litter vintage 1937 Carbine (First series with Win "Proof Steel Barrel & Last year of Carbine Butt plate). As all original, but for a King brand Full Buckhorn aft barrel sight with the gun as acquired. Calculated easily to be restored to original. After shooting the gun, fell in love with that King as for me the best solution of aging eyes and something of an aperture sight at maybe 16" from eye removed. "V" notch at the bottom as maybe useful for timed shots with good light and fair eyes. Yet...

Compare that with the tang sight which must be moved out of cycling interference with each function of the lever! In my 1908 Model 1894 Lightweight Rifle with such tang unit, timed shots more compatible and and looking cool too. For a 94 Carbine and concept of rapid follow up shots, not so. On a fifties era 94 carbine, maybe Buckhorn less era compatible precept, but the function remains viable. Few Pix below as sight needing "toothbrush"! smile
Just a suggestion and
Just my take!

Best!
John

Attached Images
R258-1U.jpg (25.94 KB, 145 downloads)
R258-16.jpg (21.94 KB, 145 downloads)
R258-17.jpg (18.94 KB, 146 downloads)
R258-20U.jpg (11.79 KB, 146 downloads)
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I drilled and tapped my 1949 model 94 for a receiver sight and installed sling swivel studs long ago. I bought it to hunt with and have no intention of ever selling it so will have it set up HOW I WANT IT. I paid for the friggin thing and I intend to get the use out of it. Not a bit concerned with keeping it original for my heirs or some unknown collector to enjoy after I'm gone. If they want one in unmolested condition they can damn well buy one themselves.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations,

That poor 94 has my sympathy………

It’s going to be awful lonely without another lever to “ hang with”.

I’d hate for it to develop a complex……

They are like potato 🥔 chips….

U can’t have just one.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (Akhutr, beefan, 358wsm, 2500HD, bosshoff, 13 invisible), 1,380 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.