Home
Posted By: HARDBALLER Nalgene bottles - 04/03/18
Academy has them for half price and free shipping, FYI. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/na...1-qt-water-bottle#repChildCatid=1254540. I like this company because during the 22 shortage period, they never gouged the shooters by raising their prices.
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/03/18
ordered 3......thanks for the heads up......
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/05/18
This is one I can't wrap my head around.

Empty 32 oz Gatorade bottle for me
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/05/18
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Agreed.
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/05/18
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Agreed.

Fine and dandy until you drop it in the rocks and punch a hole in it, when you're 20 miles from the trailhead on a backpack hunt. Nalgene bottles are tough as nails. Worth every penny.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/05/18
I use Gatorade bottles on the job year round. Never had one bust or break.

If I was going to pour hot water into a bottle it would be a nalgene
Posted By: 340boy Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/05/18
Wide-mouth Nalgenes are worth every penny.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/06/18
Maybe if they lasted a little longer...
Posted By: GregW Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/06/18
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Agreed.

Fine and dandy until you drop it in the rocks and punch a hole in it, when you're 20 miles from the trailhead on a backpack hunt. Nalgene bottles are tough as nails. Worth every penny.

Exactly....

My Nalgenes usually fail topside starting with a slow leak. This is after years and years of abuse. Worth every penny...
Posted By: starsky Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/06/18

Agreed.

About all there is to it...
Posted By: beretzs Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/06/18

Agreed.

I’m still carrying the same Nalgenes I carried in Afghanistan in 02.. I’ve never seen a broken one, yet.
Posted By: RedAstrachan Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/06/18
Just got one that came with a kayak I purchased new. Damned expensive plastic both.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/06/18
I've used Gatorade bottles for years, on the ranch/farm and while hunting and for coaching. I've yet to see one break. And since they don't cost me anything, I've literally thrown them anywhere and everywhere. I'm not sure how a Nalgene could be tougher.
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/06/18
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I've used Gatorade bottles for years, on the ranch/farm and while hunting and for coaching. I've yet to see one break. And since they don't cost me anything, I've literally thrown them anywhere and everywhere. I'm not sure how a Nalgene could be tougher.

Yeah, what do I know? I only guided backpack hunts in the mountains for years....

Never could figure out why a guy spending 10K on a sheep hunt would show up with an empty sports drink container in his pack, instead of the real deal. It's why I always packed an extra Nalgene. And yes I have seen them break when dropped in the rocks. I've also seen the lids come loose inside a pack and leak all over the pack's contents. Not a big deal getting stuff in your pack wet, but finding out you've climbed 3000 vertical feet for six hours, and you have cottonmouth, and would kill for a drink of water, only to find out you have an empty water bottle, makes for a long, tough day....and a tougher lesson learned.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/06/18

Yeah, what do I know?

Exactly. smile
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/06/18
Hard to make a good argument against a Nalgene bottle.

I like the 48 oz silo bottles, and also have a couple of the Nalgenes that are styled after the military canteen. Good tough product.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30338 Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/06/18
Have sold thousands of nalgenes. Only had a report of 1 breaking and it involved a long drop on concrete and apparently landed poorly.
Posted By: GregW Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/06/18
I've had two slow leak sitting upside down or sideways from the top attachment on top of the cap.

I use them for work and have retired these from riding in a pack....
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/06/18
I will have to give one a try. What type and size do you guys prefer?
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/06/18
I carry a one liter nalgene as backup. Main water carrier (depending on water accessibility or snow) is a used 2 liter soda pop bottle.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/07/18
Originally Posted by GregW

Agreed.

Exactly....

My Nalgenes usually fail topside starting with a slow leak. This is after years and years of abuse. Worth every penny...

I've seen two Nalgenes broken. One took a 28,000 pound machine to crush it, so somewhat understandable. 😜 The other was a rather surprising 3' drop, but it was an ancient bottle. Frozen solid many, many times too. Still, I'm solidly in the Nalgene camp. Well, well worth the slight cost and small weight penalty. Nalgenes and SOURCE bladders only for this kid.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/07/18
Source Tactical bladders for primary use, and a 1L Nalgene in my pack as a backup. Rapid Pure filter inline with the bladder/hose setup.
Originally Posted by Wrongside

Agreed.

Exactly....

I've seen two Nalgenes broken. One took a 28,000 pound machine to crush it, so somewhat understandable. 😜 The other was a rather surprising 3' drop, but it was an ancient bottle. Frozen solid many, many times too. Still, I'm solidly in the Nalgene camp. Well, well worth the slight cost and small weight penalty. Nalgenes and SOURCE bladders only for this kid.

That was back during your fat phase, hey?
Where's that middle finger emoji when a guy needs it?
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/07/18

[Linked Image]

Ted, these are a couple I use. Both are 32oz. The wide mouth is nice to fill in the creek, the smaller mouthed bottle is easier to drink from. Especially if you're riding a horse. One of the features about these I like are the connected tops. I had a hunter lose a cap one time in a fast moving creek. We made a cork stopper out of wood, and got by, but it was a pain in the butt.

It's a high quality accessory, and well worth the money.

This one? 🖕🤓🖕

Haha
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

This one? 🖕🤓🖕

Haha

Yup. That one. LOL.

My family, buddies and myself all use the wide mouth 32oz, almost exclusively. The wide mouth Nalgene threads are such a industry standard, many accessories are threaded to fit them. IE; MSR water filters.
Posted By: GregW Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/07/18

[Linked Image]

Ted, these are a couple I use. Both are 32oz. The wide mouth is nice to fill in the creek, the smaller mouthed bottle is easier to drink from. Especially if you're riding a horse. One of the features about these I like are the connected tops. I had a hunter lose a cap one time in a fast moving creek. We made a cork stopper out of wood, and got by, but it was a pain in the butt.

It's a high quality accessory, and well worth the money.

That's the word I was looking for. I've had two slow leak through the connected top....

These are the style I use too and all I have are the smaller drinking top, not the wide mouth. I spill all over myself with the wide....

Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/07/18
[Linked Image]
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/07/18
The wide mouth nalgene allows you to pull drinking water from a very shallow seep or trickle, which has saved me several times from having to make a 1500+ foot drop/climb for water.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/07/18
They might just make a great camping flask too.
But I wouldn't know anything about that.
Posted By: Vek Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/07/18
I wouldn't use gatorade bottles by themselves, but paired with an extra or with a good bladder is fine. Even a holed bottle can be taped and scoop water into a bladder. My 3-liter camelbak unbottle is indispensible...I can't imagine being limited to a liter or two of water on my person. Add 4-liters of bag storage and a guy can stay at altitude for a while. My nalgenes stay home, or go on boat rides. Tough they are, light they're not. But I'm not a guide, so what the hell do I know.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/08/18
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
[Linked Image]

There are a couple styles of wide-mouth bottle inserts like that. They make drinking while horseback much easier.

On a hot day I don't mind a little splash down the front of my shirt. on a cold day, not so much.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/08/18
An adult sippee cup, Nalgene's thought of it all, great product I have all my powder measures converted to use Nalgene bottles.
Posted By: Hutchy06 Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/08/18
Put me in the nalgene free camp. One gatorade bottle and two dasani water bottles. My dogs favorire chew toy in a dasani water bottle. Been two weeks on the latest one and no holes yet. Dasani brand are slightly thicker plastic. A big reason I bring them is that they fit into an inside pocket. Lots of my adventures take place where the air hurts your face and keeping water thawed in a pocket is essential. Also ounces make pounds and three water or gatorade bottles weigh less than one nalgene.

And if your trip was ruined because you broke your ONE way of carrying water thats on you. Do you carry one firelighting method or not double waterproof your sleeping bag?

Ill take three redundant water bottles that I have never broken. Dont need three? Who cares. It weighs an ounce and a third.

I have lots of nalgenes bought over the years. Friends use nalgene cozys to keep them thawed but inevetibly they end up thawing one every now and then.

For me the separate water bottle method works best.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/08/18
If your dog's been chewing on a Dasani water bottle for two weeks and still hasn't put a hole in it, you need a new dog.
Posted By: Ed_T Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/08/18
Yeah my dog would destroy an anvil in two weeks!
I like and use Nalgene’s but my main go to water bottle is a Vargo titanium. Expensive, yes but can be used on a fire if necessary to heat water and titanium never imparts any taste to the water.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/08/18
I just use a bladder to carry and store water. And since going to a squeeze filter, something to dip the water out of the source is needed so I usually use my insulated plastic mug for that.

With the handle cut off of course because "ounces make pounds." When I do bring a nalgene it's usually a 500 ml one with single malt.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/08/18
Originally Posted by smokepole
If your dog's been chewing on a Dasani water bottle for two weeks and still hasn't put a hole in it, you need a new dog.

LOL. Truth.
Posted By: Hutchy06 Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/09/18
The dog is new. Four and a half month old portugese waterdog. Sharp puppy teeth, no holes. My last retriever would take a few days to get into the treats in one.

I was in school for four years where all the dreadlocked granola crunching "outdoor expert" types wore their nalgenes as some kind of badge of honor. For people so into recycling I couldn't figure it out.

Then started winter expeditions and they just sucked to keep ice free. I did give them an honest go though. Just never understood the craze, but to each his own. Just bring more than one. Wouldn't wanna die of thirst cause you lost or broke one wink
Posted By: remington79 Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/10/18
I'm still using my smoke grey lexan nalgenes from '93. I only had to replace the caps a few times over the years. I always contact Nalgene and they send me new ones for free. Back when I bought that version they said they were so tough that they would give you free caps for life. Worse come to worse you can buy them on their web site.
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/10/18
I've had good luck with them, and like the connected lid too.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/10/18
I have lived in the desert for a long time and rate running out of water as a predictable emergency and best avoided.
The 1st thing in my pack is a 32 oz Nalgene bottle of h2o with the lid put on tight. In hot weather it is frozen and placed in a OR bottle parka, in very cold weather it contains hot water when placed in the same parka. This is the get me home supply and is only used after the contents of my Platypus has been consumed.

If the eggs are important I don't want them all in the same basket.

mike r
Posted By: GregW Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/11/18
Got mine today. Great deal. Better than all my old crusty's...grin...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/11/18
Tedthorn: I "used to" carry Gatorade in the factory bottles until one day while on an Antelope crawling stalk I noticed my camo day pack that I had just started dragging, was all wet!
A cactus thorn had punctured my Gatorade bottle and every thing from my gloves to my scarf to my knife to my sandwich were drenched in liquid that eventually became "sticky/slimey", by the time I got back to camp where I could wash, clean and dry out the day pack and contents. Not only a mess and time consuming but I was awful thirsty by the time I got back to camp.
Nalgene is NOT that much heavier and is MUCH safer.
BTW I also had a similar "experience" (about 20 years prior) with a cactus punctured Coca-Cola can - again, big sticky mess!
Again, go with the Nalgene type water bottles.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/11/18
I picked up a 32 oz small mouth from Accadamy just last

$5
Posted By: HARDBALLER Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/12/18
Got mine today. Great deal. Better than all my old crusty's...grin...

[Linked Image]

For $5 each delivered to your door? I thought it was a deal smile.
Posted By: Frm Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/12/18
How much did you pay? They're 9.99 on line.
Posted By: GregW Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/13/18
I paid 4.99 each with free shipping....
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/13/18
I've seen one Nalgene cap break when it was screwed on too tightly....but it may have been a generic water bottle and not an actual Nalgene. Can't quite remember.

My other Nalgenes are several years old, have been dropped off horses, 4 wheelers, once off a 30 or so foot cliff and plenty of other oopses, and have never had one break or even leak. I'm sold on them. I don't use any kind of a camel back or other bladder, just Nalgene bottles. I rarely drink gatorade or other sports drinks, so don't often have a bottle laying around, but I have seen the sun deteriorate those bottles within just a couple of days, and the lids don't screw on nearly tight enough to prevent leaking if the bottle lays on its side.

Walmart's version called Outdoor Products Cyclone Water Bottle is actually pretty good too, though it's oblong shape doesn't fit well into many water bottle holders. It's a few dollars cheaper and so far mine has held up just as well as a Nalgene.
Posted By: texag10 Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/23/18
I don't usually use a nalgene for backpacking, but have one for daily use. The humangear capcap is a great upgrade. You still have the widemouth for easy filling, but the smaller to top cap is great for drinking.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ironbender Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/25/18
Originally Posted by smokepole

Or a *real* dog. wink
Posted By: smokepole Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/25/18
Or a dog, period.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Nalgene bottles - 04/26/18
smile
I think a reason to not use a Gatorade bottle or similar is the BPA issue. I didn’t know what the deal was but I understand that as a Plastic degrades it can leach BPA. It is said to have a similar effect as estrogen in men.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Nalgene bottles - 05/01/18
Originally Posted by misplacedinnebraska
I think a reason to not use a Gatorade bottle or similar is the BPA issue. I didn’t know what the deal was but I understand that as a Plastic degrades it can leach BPA. It is said to have a similar effect as estrogen in men.

You don’t want to let gatoraide bottles get very hot. That is when it is a bigger issue.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Nalgene bottles - 05/01/18
Gatoraid bottles never affected me.....(twitch, twitch....)
Posted By: prm Re: Nalgene bottles - 05/01/18
I typically have one or two 32oz Nalgene bottles. I use the wide mouth so I can sterilize with a Steripen. Sometimes I’ll add one Smart Water bottle because they weigh next to nothing, are reasonably tough, and the threads match the Sawyer filter.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Nalgene bottles - 05/03/18
It's obvious that some of you have never used a real Gatorade bottle for anything. Maybe they aren't as good as a Nalgene, but when somebody says something stupid like they leak from the cap not being tight enough or they deteriorate in the sun in two days or that they break when you barely drop them, then it's blatant you haven't used one lately. Oh, and they're BPA free nowadays, say for the past decade or so.

C'mon, at least don't talk about what you don't know about.
Posted By: Owl Re: Nalgene bottles - 05/03/18

Great price. Online ?
Posted By: HARDBALLER Re: Nalgene bottles - 05/04/18
Originally Posted by Owl

Great price. Online ?

Yes, through Academy Sports in the clearance section. They sold out quick though.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Nalgene bottles - 05/06/18
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
It's obvious that some of you have never used a real Gatorade bottle for anything. Maybe they aren't as good as a Nalgene, but when somebody says something stupid like they leak from the cap not being tight enough or they deteriorate in the sun in two days or that they break when you barely drop them, then it's blatant you haven't used one lately. Oh, and they're BPA free nowadays, say for the past decade or so.

C'mon, at least don't talk about what you don't know about.

Speak for yourself. I've forgot my nalgene's a few times, and went the gatorade bottle route. Last time was 2015....not sure if thats "lately" for you or not.

On that trip at 12,000 feet and with nowhere to get out of the sun, the top of my gatorade bottle sticking out of my pack's bottle holder was to the point where it wouldn't hold water after just a couple of days. I'd guess that being pressed against rocks when picking my way through boulder fields and being slightly crushed by the weight of my pack when I took it off for a break didn't do it any good, but that didn't help the situation at all. I'm guessing that it was due to the UV light up there, but that's just a guess. A guy could put it in his pack to get it out of the light, but that opens up a whole different world that you're wrong again with.
[Linked Image]

Bouncing around in a pack and rubbing against everything in there, those cheap caps can get unscrewed. Sucks bad enough to have everything wet, sucks even worse when you're out of water and the nearest source is a couple thousand vertical feet below you or several miles away. As a habit due to my bad gatorade bottle experiences, I usually carry water in 2-3 different nalgene bottles because being out of water sucks.

Maybe you have not experienced these things, but others have. Myself included.
Posted By: whit Re: Nalgene bottles - 05/13/18
My caps usually develop a small crack from over tightening after a few years. I usually can see a whitish stressed area just before they start leaking. I am planning to order the Humangear capCap to replace my current lids.
Posted By: smallfry Re: Nalgene bottles - 05/23/18
I don’t dig the wide mouth for drinking. One it’s easier to drink out of the small mouth and two if the wide mouth tips over open it’s done no matter how fast you are.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Nalgene bottles - 08/02/18
Doesnt seem like an extravagance even at full price.
© 24hourcampfire