-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
H
The dog is new. Four and a half month old portugese waterdog. Sharp puppy teeth, no holes. My last retriever would take a few days to get into the treats in one.

I was in school for four years where all the dreadlocked granola crunching "outdoor expert" types wore their nalgenes as some kind of badge of honor. For people so into recycling I couldn't figure it out.

Then started winter expeditions and they just sucked to keep ice free. I did give them an honest go though. Just never understood the craze, but to each his own. Just bring more than one. Wouldn't wanna die of thirst cause you lost or broke one wink

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm still using my smoke grey lexan nalgenes from '93. I only had to replace the caps a few times over the years. I always contact Nalgene and they send me new ones for free. Back when I bought that version they said they were so tough that they would give you free caps for life. Worse come to worse you can buy them on their web site.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've had good luck with them, and like the connected lid too.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have lived in the desert for a long time and rate running out of water as a predictable emergency and best avoided.
The 1st thing in my pack is a 32 oz Nalgene bottle of h2o with the lid put on tight. In hot weather it is frozen and placed in a OR bottle parka, in very cold weather it contains hot water when placed in the same parka. This is the get me home supply and is only used after the contents of my Platypus has been consumed.

If the eggs are important I don't want them all in the same basket.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Got mine today. Great deal. Better than all my old crusty's...grin...

[Linked Image]

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Tedthorn: I "used to" carry Gatorade in the factory bottles until one day while on an Antelope crawling stalk I noticed my camo day pack that I had just started dragging, was all wet!
A cactus thorn had punctured my Gatorade bottle and every thing from my gloves to my scarf to my knife to my sandwich were drenched in liquid that eventually became "sticky/slimey", by the time I got back to camp where I could wash, clean and dry out the day pack and contents. Not only a mess and time consuming but I was awful thirsty by the time I got back to camp.
Nalgene is NOT that much heavier and is MUCH safer.
BTW I also had a similar "experience" (about 20 years prior) with a cactus punctured Coca-Cola can - again, big sticky mess!
Again, go with the Nalgene type water bottles.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I picked up a 32 oz small mouth from Accadamy just last

$5

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by GregW
Got mine today. Great deal. Better than all my old crusty's...grin...

[Linked Image]

For $5 each delivered to your door? I thought it was a deal smile.

F
Frm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
How much did you pay? They're 9.99 on line.

"We've had enough of exhortations to be silent! Cry out with a hundred thousand tongues! I see that the world is rotten because of silence!"
St. Catherine of Sienna
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I paid 4.99 each with free shipping....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen one Nalgene cap break when it was screwed on too tightly....but it may have been a generic water bottle and not an actual Nalgene. Can't quite remember.

My other Nalgenes are several years old, have been dropped off horses, 4 wheelers, once off a 30 or so foot cliff and plenty of other oopses, and have never had one break or even leak. I'm sold on them. I don't use any kind of a camel back or other bladder, just Nalgene bottles. I rarely drink gatorade or other sports drinks, so don't often have a bottle laying around, but I have seen the sun deteriorate those bottles within just a couple of days, and the lids don't screw on nearly tight enough to prevent leaking if the bottle lays on its side.

Walmart's version called Outdoor Products Cyclone Water Bottle is actually pretty good too, though it's oblong shape doesn't fit well into many water bottle holders. It's a few dollars cheaper and so far mine has held up just as well as a Nalgene.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I don't usually use a nalgene for backpacking, but have one for daily use. The humangear capcap is a great upgrade. You still have the widemouth for easy filling, but the smaller to top cap is great for drinking.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by smokepole
If your dog's been chewing on a Dasani water bottle for two weeks and still hasn't put a hole in it, you need a new dog.

Or a *real* dog. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Or a dog, period.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I think a reason to not use a Gatorade bottle or similar is the BPA issue. I didn’t know what the deal was but I understand that as a Plastic degrades it can leach BPA. It is said to have a similar effect as estrogen in men.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by misplacedinnebraska
I think a reason to not use a Gatorade bottle or similar is the BPA issue. I didn’t know what the deal was but I understand that as a Plastic degrades it can leach BPA. It is said to have a similar effect as estrogen in men.

You don’t want to let gatoraide bottles get very hot. That is when it is a bigger issue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gatoraid bottles never affected me.....(twitch, twitch....)

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I typically have one or two 32oz Nalgene bottles. I use the wide mouth so I can sterilize with a Steripen. Sometimes I’ll add one Smart Water bottle because they weigh next to nothing, are reasonably tough, and the threads match the Sawyer filter.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's obvious that some of you have never used a real Gatorade bottle for anything. Maybe they aren't as good as a Nalgene, but when somebody says something stupid like they leak from the cap not being tight enough or they deteriorate in the sun in two days or that they break when you barely drop them, then it's blatant you haven't used one lately. Oh, and they're BPA free nowadays, say for the past decade or so.

C'mon, at least don't talk about what you don't know about.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

374 members (163bc, 160user, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 33 invisible), 2,052 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,100
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.