Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by tedthorn
This is one I can't wrap my head around.

Empty 32 oz Gatorade bottle for me
Agreed.

Fine and dandy until you drop it in the rocks and punch a hole in it, when you're 20 miles from the trailhead on a backpack hunt. Nalgene bottles are tough as nails. Worth every penny.

Exactly....

My Nalgenes usually fail topside starting with a slow leak. This is after years and years of abuse. Worth every penny...

I've seen two Nalgenes broken. One took a 28,000 pound machine to crush it, so somewhat understandable. 😜 The other was a rather surprising 3' drop, but it was an ancient bottle. Frozen solid many, many times too. Still, I'm solidly in the Nalgene camp. Well, well worth the slight cost and small weight penalty. Nalgenes and SOURCE bladders only for this kid.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Source Tactical bladders for primary use, and a 1L Nalgene in my pack as a backup. Rapid Pure filter inline with the bladder/hose setup.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrongside
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
This is one I can't wrap my head around.

Empty 32 oz Gatorade bottle for me
Agreed.

Fine and dandy until you drop it in the rocks and punch a hole in it, when you're 20 miles from the trailhead on a backpack hunt. Nalgene bottles are tough as nails. Worth every penny.

Exactly....

My Nalgenes usually fail topside starting with a slow leak. This is after years and years of abuse. Worth every penny...

I've seen two Nalgenes broken. One took a 28,000 pound machine to crush it, so somewhat understandable. 😜 The other was a rather surprising 3' drop, but it was an ancient bottle. Frozen solid many, many times too. Still, I'm solidly in the Nalgene camp. Well, well worth the slight cost and small weight penalty. Nalgenes and SOURCE bladders only for this kid.

That was back during your fat phase, hey?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where's that middle finger emoji when a guy needs it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will have to give one a try. What type and size do you guys prefer?

[Linked Image]

Ted, these are a couple I use. Both are 32oz. The wide mouth is nice to fill in the creek, the smaller mouthed bottle is easier to drink from. Especially if you're riding a horse. One of the features about these I like are the connected tops. I had a hunter lose a cap one time in a fast moving creek. We made a cork stopper out of wood, and got by, but it was a pain in the butt.

It's a high quality accessory, and well worth the money.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This one? 🖕🤓🖕

Haha

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

This one? 🖕🤓🖕

Haha

Yup. That one. LOL.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My family, buddies and myself all use the wide mouth 32oz, almost exclusively. The wide mouth Nalgene threads are such a industry standard, many accessories are threaded to fit them. IE; MSR water filters.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

[Linked Image]

Ted, these are a couple I use. Both are 32oz. The wide mouth is nice to fill in the creek, the smaller mouthed bottle is easier to drink from. Especially if you're riding a horse. One of the features about these I like are the connected tops. I had a hunter lose a cap one time in a fast moving creek. We made a cork stopper out of wood, and got by, but it was a pain in the butt.

It's a high quality accessory, and well worth the money.

That's the word I was looking for. I've had two slow leak through the connected top....

These are the style I use too and all I have are the smaller drinking top, not the wide mouth. I spill all over myself with the wide....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The wide mouth nalgene allows you to pull drinking water from a very shallow seep or trickle, which has saved me several times from having to make a 1500+ foot drop/climb for water.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They might just make a great camping flask too.
But I wouldn't know anything about that.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I wouldn't use gatorade bottles by themselves, but paired with an extra or with a good bladder is fine. Even a holed bottle can be taped and scoop water into a bladder. My 3-liter camelbak unbottle is indispensible...I can't imagine being limited to a liter or two of water on my person. Add 4-liters of bag storage and a guy can stay at altitude for a while. My nalgenes stay home, or go on boat rides. Tough they are, light they're not. But I'm not a guide, so what the hell do I know.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
[Linked Image]

There are a couple styles of wide-mouth bottle inserts like that. They make drinking while horseback much easier.

On a hot day I don't mind a little splash down the front of my shirt. on a cold day, not so much.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
An adult sippee cup, Nalgene's thought of it all, great product I have all my powder measures converted to use Nalgene bottles.

H
H
Put me in the nalgene free camp. One gatorade bottle and two dasani water bottles. My dogs favorire chew toy in a dasani water bottle. Been two weeks on the latest one and no holes yet. Dasani brand are slightly thicker plastic. A big reason I bring them is that they fit into an inside pocket. Lots of my adventures take place where the air hurts your face and keeping water thawed in a pocket is essential. Also ounces make pounds and three water or gatorade bottles weigh less than one nalgene.

And if your trip was ruined because you broke your ONE way of carrying water thats on you. Do you carry one firelighting method or not double waterproof your sleeping bag?

Ill take three redundant water bottles that I have never broken. Dont need three? Who cares. It weighs an ounce and a third.

I have lots of nalgenes bought over the years. Friends use nalgene cozys to keep them thawed but inevetibly they end up thawing one every now and then.

For me the separate water bottle method works best.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If your dog's been chewing on a Dasani water bottle for two weeks and still hasn't put a hole in it, you need a new dog.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Yeah my dog would destroy an anvil in two weeks!
I like and use Nalgene’s but my main go to water bottle is a Vargo titanium. Expensive, yes but can be used on a fire if necessary to heat water and titanium never imparts any taste to the water.

Ed T

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I just use a bladder to carry and store water. And since going to a squeeze filter, something to dip the water out of the source is needed so I usually use my insulated plastic mug for that.

With the handle cut off of course because "ounces make pounds." When I do bring a nalgene it's usually a 500 ml one with single malt.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
If your dog's been chewing on a Dasani water bottle for two weeks and still hasn't put a hole in it, you need a new dog.

LOL. Truth.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

294 members (2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 27 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,010
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.