Home
Posted By: Roosevelt23 Trekking Poles - 05/14/20
I have never used trekking poles before, but I am looking to purchase a pair. The country we hunt is pretty steep and uneven. There are a lot of options out there and I am not sure how to navigate all of the options. I would like a pair that is light weight, but won't crumple under a heavy load. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Trekking Poles - 05/14/20
I really like the Black Diamond Carbon Cork.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Trekking Poles - 05/14/20
Be sure to get the flip lock type. The twist locks can be hard to get loose once you tighten them enough to take a load without slipping. Also, I've had water get in the twist locks and freeze. You need pliers or heat to get them loose.
Posted By: Roosevelt23 Re: Trekking Poles - 05/14/20
Thank you
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Trekking Poles - 05/14/20
Black Diamond Carbon Z's never slip, are super simple, and fold up with no hassles. Every locking type I have used has slipped which makes them an easy pass for me.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Trekking Poles - 05/15/20

Black Diamond...good gear.

Be sure to bring a Phillips head-type tool to be able to tighten flickloks on long distance excursions in case they loosen.
Posted By: Springcove Re: Trekking Poles - 05/15/20
I have a bad knee so I bought some Black Diamond trekking poles last year. What a difference. Only way I was able to make it up and down the mountains of Idaho. Can’t recommend them enough.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Trekking Poles - 05/15/20

Lent my poles to a guy I met on a volcano that was hurting bad from his bad knees.

He would have needed to be evac'd, otherwise.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Trekking Poles - 05/15/20
The bd flicklocks are the best I've e found. Carbon will be lighter but significantly less durable in big rock. If you're talking trail use, the cascade mountain tech from Costco is a bargain, but don't expect them to hold up to much off trail rock.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Trekking Poles - 05/15/20
For hunting, aluminum is too noisy. Hitting one on a rock rings like a bell. Carbons are bad enough.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Trekking Poles - 05/15/20
Like MCH I had trouble with adjustable poles slipping. I had a few aluminum's bend.

I used these last year and I love them. They are PERFECT....except they aren't....they're one piece fixed length. The fixed length doesn't bother me at all when using them as the grip is long enough to work around that in use. Strapping them to a pack sucks though....everything's a trade off.

https://ultimatedirection.com/fk-trekking-poles/

In the future I'll probably try some of the Carbon Z's that MCH mentioned previously. I doubt I'd like them more than the Ultimate Directions when using them but no doubt I'd like them more when not using them!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Trekking Poles - 05/15/20
I use the one-piece carbon cow pokers.....

https://www.bigronline.com/weaver-leatherreg-stierwalt-carbon-fiber-show-stick-54-inch-1254640.html
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Trekking Poles - 05/15/20
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I used this one for a couple of years. It's STOUT...if ounces count, it really counts.
Posted By: ribka Re: Trekking Poles - 05/15/20
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I really like the Black Diamond Carbon Cork.

yep. Cork definitely better. Can get the BD aluminum cork version for around 75 bucks on sale. Have both. Never had the flip locks fail. Check them every once in awhile. I like the adjustability for different terrain, snow, mud etc.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Trekking Poles - 05/16/20
Unfortunately out of stock at the moment but these have been great for me.

https://www.costco.com/cascade-mountain-tech-trekking-poles%2c-2-pack.product.100480782.html
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Trekking Poles - 05/17/20
As I mentioned above, those are great poles, and a heck of a bargain. But carbon and big rock (glacial moraine) is a bad combo. If the rock can score the carbon (because the poles are slipping between rocks) you'll break them in very short order.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture resize.jpg
Posted By: smokepole Re: Trekking Poles - 05/17/20
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I use the one-piece carbon cow pokers.....

Does that mean you're a cow-poke?

Who shoots ki-yotes?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Trekking Poles - 05/17/20
I only shoot the pokey ki-yotes. some are too fast for me. but thanks for asking.
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Trekking Poles - 05/17/20
tag
Posted By: Brad Re: Trekking Poles - 05/17/20
I don't use trekking poles except for snowshoeing. Mine are BD Alpine Carbon Cork. My wife uses the same, except for backpacking and dayhiking too.

Real cork is the only handle material I'd consider.
Posted By: ribka Re: Trekking Poles - 05/18/20
Originally Posted by cwh2
As I mentioned above, those are great poles, and a heck of a bargain. But carbon and big rock (glacial moraine) is a bad combo. If the rock can score the carbon (because the poles are slipping between rocks) you'll break them in very short order.

[Linked Image]

The Costco/cascade ok for recreational hiking but Ive broke 3 pair on strenuous hiking in rocks and deeper snow.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Trekking Poles - 05/18/20
The BD Carbon Cork has held up to rock very well for me.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Trekking Poles - 05/18/20
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by cwh2

[Linked Image]

The Costco/cascade ok for recreational hiking but Ive broke 3 pair on strenuous hiking in rocks and deeper snow.

My wife had the cascades, they were constantly needing adjustment and once collapsed, they now prop up tarps, couldn't be trusted.

mike r
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Trekking Poles - 05/19/20
Mike, that's interesting. I never had a problem with them collapsing once I tightened them down. I used one pair for sheep and they did great. Tons and tons of shale, on the way up and the way down and 90% of the "middle" although it was a pretty quick hunt.

Then on the wife's goat hunt, the bottoms broke out. The next day as we climbed back up, one of hers (which had been brand new the day before) broke. Oh well, cheap lesson as things go.
Posted By: Brad Re: Trekking Poles - 05/19/20
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The BD Carbon Cork has held up to rock very well for me.

You get what you pay for.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Trekking Poles - 05/19/20
If you use trekking poles long enough, they are going to break. From Cabelas "closeouts" to Leki's and Black Diamonds. My first sheep hunt taught me the value of having extra balance. Large rock fields are murderous on the poles. But with heavy loads and fatigue, they are still worth it. Their value in support and balance outweigh their "shelf life". Its just their occupational reality.
Posted By: Brad Re: Trekking Poles - 05/19/20
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
If you use trekking poles long enough, they are going to break. From Cabelas "closeouts" to Leki's and Black Diamonds. My first sheep hunt taught me the value of having extra balance. Large rock fields are murderous on the poles. But with heavy loads and fatigue, they are still worth it. Their value in support and balance outweigh their "shelf life". Its just their occupational reality.

Having used both going back to the 1970's, I find an ice axe or single cane better than poles with a stout pack on alpine rock/snow. I find having a free hand and short cane/axe in the other safer (more balance worthy and maneuverable) than longer poles in both hands... but poles are de rigueur these days.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Trekking Poles - 05/19/20

Definetly a different type of hunting than most here do, but I only use one pole in my right (dominant) hand.
Leki Cristallo and CMT Carbon.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Trekking Poles - 05/19/20
I also use 1 pole. With some practice, it can be used for a good rifle rest in addition to the hiking.
I've used Costco's and BD's. BD's cost twice as much but I don't think they have twice the life. They're better, yes, but I don't think they'll save you money in the long run. OTOH, even the best ones aren't so expensive that you can't afford to replace them on occasion.
Posted By: mtwarden Re: Trekking Poles - 05/20/20
I have a pair of BD carbon z poles- great for trail running in the mountains- they fold and are very light; too light for hunting in the mountains however

I tried a pair of aluminum z poles for tougher duty stuff, broke one when fording a fast stream (and got to swim); sent into BD and they exchanged for their heaviest (thickest) z pole- the Alpine model; broke one of those this past winter snowshoeing

I love the foldability of the z poles, but there is a flaw in the design to cause them to break in the same place- two pairs, two different models- both broke in the same place

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

This time time I went with one of their aluminum two piece ski poles (Flicklock)- the Traverse WR- WR as in whippet ready; purchased the whippet head- they covered the poles under warranty

I have about 150 miles of snowshoeing/backcountry skiing with these and am confident these will do the trick. Not as handy as the fold up poles, not as light (not heavy though), but with they are stout and the whippet head will definitely come in handy at times.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Trekking Poles - 05/20/20
Have seen the Leki folding carbon poles break at the push button that you use to take up the slack in the internal cord. Sort of a built-in weak point. First one broke like 4 days into its first trip. Nice design other than that.
Posted By: mtwarden Re: Trekking Poles - 05/20/20
sounds like the BD ones break at the same point- it's the spot you pull on and then locks

I'm keeping my carbon ones for trail running, they don't see near the loading that off trail mountain travel sees
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Trekking Poles - 05/23/20
Ive been using the same Leki aluminum folders for several years now

[Linked Image from i165.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Judman Re: Trekking Poles - 05/23/20
I run leki carbon fiber, got em from Kenetrek, they work good. Ask ctsmith.. 😂😂
Posted By: Shag Re: Trekking Poles - 05/23/20
black diamond
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Trekking Poles - 05/24/20
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I have a pair of BD carbon z poles- great for trail running in the mountains- they fold and are very light; too light for hunting in the mountains however

I tried a pair of aluminum z poles for tougher duty stuff, broke one when fording a fast stream (and got to swim); sent into BD and they exchanged for their heaviest (thickest) z pole- the Alpine model; broke one of those this past winter snowshoeing

I love the foldability of the z poles, but there is a flaw in the design to cause them to break in the same place- two pairs, two different models- both broke in the same place

This time time I went with one of their aluminum two piece ski poles (Flicklock)- the Traverse WR- WR as in whippet ready; purchased the whippet head- they covered the poles under warranty

I have about 150 miles of snowshoeing/backcountry skiing with these and am confident these will do the trick. Not as handy as the fold up poles, not as light (not heavy though), but with they are stout and the whippet head will definitely come in handy at times.

The whippet is genius. Micro spikes and a whippet are a good combo.

mike r
Posted By: mtwarden Re: Trekking Poles - 05/28/20
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

yeah definitely; too bad I'm a dumbass though and didn't bring them with me this past weekend!

Posted By: ribka Re: Trekking Poles - 05/28/20

glissade. lol

Originally Posted by mtwarden

mike r

yeah definitely; too bad I'm a dumbass though and didn't bring them with me this past weekend!

Posted By: mtwarden Re: Trekking Poles - 05/28/20
would have been one hell of a ride! laugh
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Trekking Poles - 05/29/20
A long ride and a tough landing. I had to turn around on 12 mile hike in the Rubys 2 years ago because of an icy steep section of about 50 yards that dropped into an abyss. If i had a Whippet or axe then we could have crossed it. Both my wife and I now have Whippets. Why not?

mike r
Posted By: mtwarden Re: Trekking Poles - 05/29/20
Exactly- the one I have attaches to trekking poles I'm already carrying anyways, the head weighs all of 5 oz- should have had it!
Posted By: bwinters Re: Trekking Poles - 05/31/20
I havent read all the posts but have used trekking poles for the past 4-5 years. I really like Leki. I think I have the carbon lite or some such. In my mind you want: cork handles, snap/lever lock, carbon tips, wrist strap.

Wife and I did 20.2 miles yesterday in the Smokies with a pack. 7 creek crossings (shoes off), climbed 4100 vertical, over rocky, rooted trail, much of it sidehilling on the 'trail'. It wasnt an easy 20 miles. The poles saved my arse in one of the stream crossing in crotch deep swift water, countless times across the rocks and roots. Some hate them, I love them. I really find them useful for climbing. I find they make a big difference when I'm packing game out. I never go hiking without them and carry them most of the time when I'm elk hunting.

I'll plug Leki - you break or lose a part, they replace it for life. They are a bit spendy but.....
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Trekking Poles - 05/31/20
I can't do the long hikes any more and as I approached 70, the balance started getting a little shaky. 1 pole makes a huge difference to an old fart on rough ground. I don't use both poles too often but they can really help sometimes.
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: Trekking Poles - 05/31/20
I've had a pair of Lekis for many years. Have no idea what model. I'm sure there are better, lighter ones to be had. I figure no reason to replace them though as the just keep working.
Sometimes my knees really give me problems and the poles help. Took some getting used to actually having and using them, but once I did I rarely go to the mountains without them.
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Trekking Poles - 07/16/20
If unsure, get the carbon fiber ones from Costco. Just to check out the concept. After using them for ANY trail use, you'll be sure. Pack designers tell you their wonder-pack takes pounds off the load. Sticks do take pounds off the load. Can't tell you how much dirt I would've eaten without trekking poles - I'd sooner forget my knife.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Trekking Poles - 07/18/20

On any steep snow or icy slope with no safe run out...get a real ice axe, learn HOW to use it to arrest a slide from ANY position and DO NOT count on trekking poles to stop you!
Posted By: erich Re: Trekking Poles - 07/18/20
I'm not a dedicated mountain hiker but use trekking poles while coyote hunting, they make getting up out of arroyos and up hillsides easier for these 73 yr old bones. Being rather cheap I pick up used XC ski poles and take the baskets off them. They also make great shooting cross sticks by looping the wrist straps across the other pole, perfect height for stands on my three leg stool or on a hillside where regular cross sticks are tooo short.
Posted By: ribka Re: Trekking Poles - 07/18/20
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

On any steep snow or icy slope with no safe run out...get a real ice axe, learn HOW to use it to arrest a slide from ANY position and DO NOT count on trekking poles to stop you!

I don't think anyone suggested using only trekking poles on steep ice and snow
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Trekking Poles - 07/19/20

The geniuses advocating using a whippet for their safety, were.
Posted By: Mark1960 Re: Trekking Poles - 07/19/20
I have some of the new New SWIX Carbon Nordic Walking Poles, and I'm a large large fellow, a 300 pounder. These poles are a 1 piece design, made at specific lengths dependent on your height from the manufacture. Much more durable than the collapsible 3 piece jobs in my experience.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Trekking Poles - 07/19/20
FYI, CamoFire has an assortment of their (Camofire/Black Ovis) poles on sale today.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Trekking Poles - 07/19/20

The geniuses advocating using a whippet for their safety, were.

Lots of folks using them w/ skill and experience that far exceeds yours. Including the guy that invented them while an employee of BD. You could even get crazy and have both if the activity and terrain called for that.

mike r
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Trekking Poles - 07/20/20

You don't know what you are talking about...again. OBVIOUS you've never encountered a steep snow slope, let alone tried to stop a fall.

You couldn't follow me for 2 miles, boobyman.

Next time you get more than 200 yards from your pickup...be sure to carry a toe tag so we can identify you when nature overpowers your nonsense.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Trekking Poles - 07/20/20

You don't know what you are talking about...again. OBVIOUS you've never encountered a steep snow slope, let alone tried to stop a fall.

Next time you get more than 200 yards from your pickup...be sure to carry a toe tag so we can identify you when nature overpowers your nonsense.

Your every post denigrates your credibility...more.

mike r
Posted By: PatagoniaHunter Re: Trekking Poles - 07/20/20
Hi,

If the closed length is not an issue, I think the best and stronger trekking pole is a two parts flip lock one. I have an aluminium Black Diamond two parts set that is amazing! And it can be stretched to a very long length! I use them for all my mountain activities, from long trekking trips with heavy back packs for 5/7 days, and including snowshoeing. Great!

Best!

PH
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Trekking Poles - 07/21/20

Your every post denigrates your credibility...more.

mike r

Pfffttt...

YOUR whannnbulance is standing by.
Posted By: Nashville Re: Trekking Poles - 10/22/20
Leki carbon micro vario’s are my favourite by far. Super tough!
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Trekking Poles - 10/22/20
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
FYI, CamoFire has an assortment of their (Camofire/Black Ovis) poles on sale today.

FYI, the following pair failed before my second use. Went to extend them and the plastic "anchor" that holds the line inside the top section came loose inside one of the pair. Sent a pic, have to send both of them in for evaluation, should receive a replacement...hopefully the replacement will be better.

https://www.blackovis.com/blackovis-crestone-carbon-trekking-poles
© 24hourcampfire