Home
Hi Guys:

I am trying to avoid the "what's the best 1911" question, but ...

I like Dan Wessons. I think DW is about the best bang for the buck 1911, all things considered. YMMV, of course, but that's my take. I really like my Commander Classic, although I would have preferred a VBOB. Were I able to purchase more Dan Wessons in Cali, I'd probably knock off a full-size Valor in .45 ACP, a 10mm Razorback, and a Guardian ... maybe in .38 Super or 9mm. But alas as a California resident, there is a grand total of TWO (2), dos, deux, DW 1911 models on our "approved handgun roster," the aforementioned Commander Classic, which I own, and the Pointman 7, which does not interest me so much. As such, it looks like I am Dan Wessoned out. Sucks.

So I've been hankering for a quality 5-inch 1911 .45 ACP, and since the DW Valor is out, I have been sniffing at some of the higher end stuff for a "one and done" grinlaugh California compliant model that will make me forget the Valor I would otherwise buy ... even if it costs me.

So now, the question (feel free to suggest other models ... this is where my attention is at the moment):

Les Baer Premier II: $2312

[Linked Image from budsgunshop.com]

or

Les Baer Custom Carry: $2323

[Linked Image from lesbaer.com]

Wilson Combat CQB: $3050

[Linked Image from wilsoncombat.com]

Ed Brown California Special Forces: $3495

[Linked Image from edbrown.com]

Nighthawk GRP: $3499

[Linked Image from nighthawkcustom.com]

or

Nighthawk Talon: $3999 (Yeeouch)

I plan on handling every one of these.

All ears here, and thanks in advance ...

For the price and value, I don’t think the Les Baer can be beat

Of all the 1911’s and AR-15’s I’ve owned over the years, none have been more accurate and more reliable than my Les Baer’s.
Colt’s been making 1911s for a while now.
The best technical 1911 is the Wilson. They simply have better parts than anyone else.

For a 1911 that will steal your heart, buy a Colt classic and run it through their custom shop. That will set you back around $2,500 all up. There is no better 1911 for all the reasons for owning a 1911.
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Originally Posted by JOG
The best technical 1911 is the Wilson. They simply have better parts than anyone else.

For a 1911 that will steal your heart, buy a Colt classic and run it through their custom shop. That will set you back around $2,500 all up. There is no better 1911 for all the reasons for owning a 1911.

I don't want to change the direction of this thread, but I hear you. Guess how many Colt 1911s are on the Cali Approved Handgun Roster.

Zip. Zero. Nada. Nein.

Nine revolvers. That's it.

Stoopid.

None.

None.
I’ve never owned any higher end 1911’s but out of the ones you have listed I like the Les Baer Premier II.
Mainly because of the adjustable sights and the price. Not that it probably makes a difference, just my thoughts.
Having tried them all, it’s my opinion the Les Baer product is the best of the best.
I feel for the insanity y'all endure, that is CA gun laws...

How could they possibly ban one brand of 1911, and allow another?

That's some crazy stuff right there. crazy
I have a dandy Colt Combat Commander, Series 70. I have owned others, including Wilson Combat, and I am perfectly satisfied with my Colt.
You can't go wrong with any of those.
My favorite 1911 that I have owned, an early colt gold cup. I'm a poor handgun shot, but with that colt I could hit every little target I put the sights on.

My favorite 1911 that I want to own, would be one the Wilson's, with the officer size frame but the commander length slide.
I think that is such an intriguing design for a 1911.
Another vote for Les Baer. I'm partial to the Ultimate Tactical Carry, since it doesn't have the ambi safety. (I'm cranky like that)
Originally Posted by RickBin

Originally Posted by JOG

I don't want to change the direction of this thread, but I hear you. Guess how many Colt 1911s are on the Cali Approved Handgun Roster.

Zip. Zero. Nada. Nein.

Stoopid.

Now I really hate California.
The Wilson Combat is better on a molecular level.
I have a Nowlin I like a lot
If I could only have one and considering $2-$3K dollar guns, might as well go all in and get a Chambers Custom.

https://chamberscustom.com/

Has a Youtube channel and understands better than anyone I've ever listened to the proper fit and relationship of parts to make them accurate and reliable.
Only own a Springfield Range Officer.
So it's a default thing.

Really like it.
But any 1911 without a Pony just seems to be missing something.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Another vote for Les Baer. I'm partial to the Ultimate Tactical Carry, since it doesn't have the ambi safety. (I'm cranky like that)

You just don't like lefties.

Marxists, I mean. smile
I have a Baer concept V. It’s the Government model in SS. I comes with adj. sites. I’m impressed with it.
I recently bought a Wilson Combat ACP model. All SS model in Commander size. When you pull the slide back , you think it’s on ball bearings. Hasbeen
I have a friend who (1) is legally blind, and (2) likes high-end 1911's. He likes to shoot but can't see well enough to zero them or determine their accuracy. I "help" him by shooting his guns for him--I'm just a good guy who's willing to help a buddy! smile Hence, I have shot quite a few Nighthawks, Ed Brown's, and Wilson Combat's . I also used to shoot bowling pins with a bunch of guys who own a wide variety of 1911's. Naturally we shoot each other's guns to see what we like.

Anyhoo...compared to production guns (Colts, Kimbers, Springfields, Rugers, etc.) there just isn't any difference in performance. Making a functional 1911 isn't exactly a secret or even difficult. The custom shops make beautiful guns for sure, but they don't outperform production guns in either accuracy or reliability.

My two cents (and I'm sure I'll get change back) is this: handle them and buy the one that resonates with you, the one that makes you smile. Get the one you love looking at, that fits your hand, and makes you feel incomplete when you put it down. That's what you're paying for--not an advantage in accuracy or functionality.

Good luck! Be sure to post pics!
I've had a Baer & could easily go there again.

If I was wealthy I'd have them all, but really think Bear is still a solid choice.

The Nighthawks are nice guns. Didn't those guys train under & work for.......... Baer?
If I had my choice it would be Guncrafter No Name. I do not care for faux names: "Operator", "Special Forces", "Range Officer", "Agent", "CQB", "Tactical Unit",...... I hate faux marketing BS.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

You just don't like lefties.

Marxists, I mean. smile

You're probably on to something there.
Originally Posted by gunzo

If I was wealthy I'd have them all, but really think Bear is still a solid choice.

The Nighthawks are nice guns. Didn't those guys train under & work for.......... Baer?

The Nighthawk crew used to work at Wilson Combat. They are also located in Berryville Arkansas, IIRC.
Originally Posted by Waders
The custom shops make beautiful guns for sure, but they don't outperform production guns in either accuracy or reliability.

Sure they do. Night and day even.
This one for deep sentimental reasons...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

and This one for both sentimental reasons and accuracy....

Last December I put 3 consecutive "first cold shots of the day" rounds through the same hole at ten yds w/out making the hole any larger. I've done two in a row before a handful of times, but not sure if I've ever "Robin Hooded" 3 times in a row, with witnesses.Then on the first of the year (this year), I cut a playing card on edge on my first attempt at 10yds after a buddy of mine left the bottom 2/3's of the card from his shot with a .62cal smoothbore trade gun....(the 230gr LRN got just enough of the ogive on there to cut the card cleanly, so it wasn't perfectly centered,,, hence the rub-line,,, but I'll take it)

Not sure if I'd ever see any benefit of throwing another $2-$3k into another 1911. To date, these have been 100% reliable.
I have a friend who (1) is legally blind, and (2) likes high-end 1911's. He likes to shoot but can't see well enough to zero them or determine their accuracy. I "help" him by shooting his guns for him--I'm just a good guy who's willing to help a buddy! smile Hence, I have shot quite a few Nighthawks, Ed Brown's, and Wilson Combat's . I also used to shoot bowling pins with a bunch of guys who own a wide variety of 1911's. Naturally we shoot each other's guns to see what we like.

Anyhoo...compared to production guns (Colts, Kimbers, Springfields, Rugers, etc.) there just isn't any difference in performance. Making a functional 1911 isn't exactly a secret or even difficult. The custom shops make beautiful guns for sure, but they don't outperform production guns in either accuracy or reliability.

My two cents (and I'm sure I'll get change back) is this: handle them and buy the one that resonates with you, the one that makes you smile. Get the one you love looking at, that fits your hand, and makes you feel incomplete when you put it down. That's what you're paying for--not an advantage in accuracy or functionality.

Production guns will get 'er done, for sure, but my experience is the custom 1911s do outperform them in both accuracy and reliability.
All of the versions that you posted are beyond excellent, with the Baer being a best buy from the cost standpoint, but I have a hard time liking Baer's..................just not my cup of tea.

I have 2 Wilson's & of the dozen or so 1911's that I have the Wilson's are my favorites with the 2-tone Protector version, below, being easily #1.

My 2nd choice would be Nighthawk............more or less the same, different trimmings.

Slides glide like on bearings, more than accurate for anything short of 50 yd bullseye shooting.

JMHO

MM

My #1 Favorite

I have handled them all and the Dw is a fine pistol but my Nighthawk is by far the nicest, smoothest 1911 I own. You can't go wrong with Wilson either. If you're looking for a higher end one and done.
Originally Posted by lhead71
I have handled them all and the Dw is a fine pistol but my Nighthawk is by far the nicest, smoothest 1911 I own. You can't go wrong with Wilson either. If you're looking for a higher end one and done.

+1

I own, and have owned, a lot of 1911s, but if there had to be only one...Nighthawk Custom GAP 10mm.

This Baer, that has a 1.5" @ 50 yard 5 shot guarantee is definitely the one I like to shoot the most.

Carried in a 50th anniversary Milt Sparks rig.
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by lhead71

+1

I own, and have owned, a lot of 1911s, but if there had to be only one...Nighthawk Custom GAP 10mm.

A man tells himself he's content with the handguns in his possession and doesn't need a 1911, then..........that.
Sometimes I hate it here.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I feel for the insanity y'all endure, that is CA gun laws...

How could they possibly ban one brand of 1911, and allow another?

That's some crazy stuff right there. crazy

Yep. Makes no sense whatsoever. When I worked in the Wholesale Firearms Industry, we had a very short list of guns we could ship to CA after they changed their laws.
Right before that, we were making major bank shipping truck loads of guns there.
Rick - I'm trying to stay right on topic.

On your list - I'd go Wilson, knowing any other choice isn't wrong, just different.

Last summer I was set on a new Wilson Hackathorn Special (finances/job changed so no new 1911) and came to the conclusion that if everyone keeps sayin "on par with a Wilson", "just as nice as a Wilson", "same as a Wilson".... why not just get the Wilson and call it good?

Just where I stand.
I only own one 1911 so it has to be my favorite. I purchased a Dan Wesson Valor some years ago after extensive research told me that they were the best high end bang for the buck. I have been very happy with it although I have nothing to compare it to.

The Nighthawk crew used to work at Wilson Combat. They are also located in Berryville Arkansas, IIRC.

Thank you CT, I need correcting at times. Please don't tell my wife I admit that.

Thank you CT, I need correcting at times. Please don't tell my wife I admit that.

You have my empathy.
Hi Guys:

I am trying to avoid the "what's the best 1911" question, but ...

I like Dan Wessons. I think DW is about the best bang for the buck 1911, all things considered. YMMV, of course, but that's my take. I really like my Commander Classic, although I would have preferred a VBOB. Were I able to purchase more Dan Wessons in Cali, I'd probably knock off a full-size Valor in .45 ACP, a 10mm Razorback, and a Guardian ... maybe in .38 Super or 9mm. But alas as a California resident, there is a grand total of TWO (2), dos, deux, DW 1911 models on our "approved handgun roster," the aforementioned Commander Classic, which I own, and the Pointman 7, which does not interest me so much. As such, it looks like I am Dan Wessoned out. Sucks.

So I've been hankering for a quality 5-inch 1911 .45 ACP, and since the DW Valor is out, I have been sniffing at some of the higher end stuff for a "one and done" grinlaugh California compliant model that will make me forget the Valor I would otherwise buy ... even if it costs me.

So now, the question (feel free to suggest other models ... this is where my attention is at the moment):

Les Baer Premier II: $2312

[Linked Image from budsgunshop.com]

or

Les Baer Custom Carry: $2323

[Linked Image from lesbaer.com]

Wilson Combat CQB: $3050

[Linked Image from wilsoncombat.com]

Ed Brown California Special Forces: $3495

[Linked Image from edbrown.com]

Nighthawk GRP: $3499

or

Nighthawk Talon: $3999 (Yeeouch)

I plan on handling every one of these.

All ears here, and thanks in advance ...

Ive literally owned them all. I would say les baer above all else minus one. I had a night hawk talon built and it was hands down the finest most accurate 1911 ive ever owner or seen. Regret selling it. My list in order goes nh talon, any of the les baers mentioned above, ed brown being a close second and wilson last. The 2 wilsons i owned were the least accurate and juat didnt do much for my tastes
I have a couple of Les Baers, and like them a lot. One is a full size Super Tac .45, the other a Stinger compact. I have threatened a time or two to get another 10mm, and I am a little torn between a Baer, and a Nighthawk. I like the Nighthawks a touch better as far as their sights and thumb safeties.

All that said, I have a .38 Super Colt Special Combat Gov't, and it is a smmmoootthh shooter...
My favorite 1911 of all time was a Colt that I had "built" back around 1988, and used it for several years before and after for IPSC shooting. I had a "friendly" smith build it for me, at a shamefully low price for those days. I was working at an indoor range at the time, and he knew I'd show it to our customers and it might give him more business, so it was probably a good move on his part.

Today, without regard for cost, it would probably be a Les Baer Premier II, I liked his work then (when he ran Springfield's Custom Shop) and I like it now, plus the aesthetics are outstanding in my eyes. The hard choice for me would be the chambering. I currently own four .45s a 9mm and a 10mm, all in 1911s, but if I were buying a new pistol, it would probably be a .38 Super, just because I've got the other choices covered pretty well already.
I put 100rds through a Les Baer Custom Carry and thought it was the best fitted 1911 I've ever touched. I don't know how accurate it was but I hit everything I aimed at.

Everything just seemed to feel better: magazine seating was crisper, racking the slide was strange as there was zero play side to side, the safety snigged off crisply and the empty brass organized itself in a pile. It was a very handsome pistol.

Every 1911 I've messed with before and after has been sub $1000.

I had a chance to buy it later when my friend was in need of money, but I couldn't justify it to myself.
This Colt Model of 1911 (WWI Replica) is my first and favorite 1911...

<> https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/770911/colt-wwi-re-issue-government-45-acp-c16819.jpg <>
Originally Posted by dla
I put 100rds through a Les Baer Custom Carry and thought it was the best fitted 1911 I've ever touched. I don't know how accurate it was but I hit everything I aimed at.

Everything just seemed to feel better: magazine seating was crisper, racking the slide was strange as there was zero play side to side, the safety snigged off crisply and the empty brass organized itself in a pile. It was a very handsome pistol.

Every 1911 I've messed with before and after has been sub $1000.

I had a chance to buy it later when my friend was in need of money, but I couldn't justify it to myself.

Agreed. They are fine handguns!
I know I voiced likes for a Baer, & I'm good with that.

But thinking more, I really liked Brown parts when one of my side jobs years ago was that of a gun butcher. Brown parts were top notch. But the $4000 price turned me of on one of his guns. Well, pressing the build button had me choosing my wants on the Brown site, & that changed things.

What I wound up with was a $3100 gun made to my specs with a 9 month wait(but was it Cal. Approved?)

Anyway, for the 3100 I'd go Brown over Wilson.. But for 2 thirds the cost, I could still be happy with the Baer.
You can't have too many 1911's.

Originally Posted by JOG

Zip. Zero. Nada. Nein.

Stoopid.

I should also have mentioned, if I were researching a higher end 1911 the single most important consideration for me is provenance - I want to know where the forgings come from. Simply knowing the last 20% was machined in the USA is not good enough - I need to know. Whether or not I based a buying decision on provenance is a second question, but if a manufacturer tries to hide that they are off the list.
The only one I own. An older stainless V-Bob in 45 ACP.
I guess I've shot most all of the higher end 1911's, but a recently made Nighthawk really impressed me (if money is not an issue).
My favorite is a really basic Series 70 Colt. Only mod is a Harrison Design rear sight. It runs great, shoots great, looks kind of basic (which I like).

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I don’t own a Wilson but have shot several. If accuracy and value are the two most important considerations, Baer is the obvious choice IMO. I have a 9mm NH Talon, it took adding a Kart to make it shoot like a Baer. It is now an incredibly sweet 1911.
My only remaining 1911 is the 38 Souper, A.O.Swenson. I can't imagine a nicer feeling and shooting handgun on this platform. I don't shop new but if I was thataway inclined I'd buy a foundation gun and have it customized by a master. Find someone that builds winners.

Iv never owned a custom 1911, I'd like to one day, but I'm pretty happy with my old Colt Delta Elite, I shoot it very well! Great shot on the playing card!
Wiley Clapp Officer’s Commander or Wiley Clapp Commander. Both fit my hand really well, have nice triggers and shoot great.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
My only remaining 1911 is the 38 Souper, A.O.Swenson. I can't imagine a nicer feeling and shooting handgun on this platform. I don't shop new but if I was thataway inclined I'd buy a foundation gun and have it customized by a master. Find someone that builds winners.

Always admired Swensen's work..................one of the truly great masters.

That's a gem.

MM
While I really enjoy shooting my Baer, this old Colt lightweight Commander is a great one for carrying:

Originally Posted by JOG

Colt classic, you want a 1911, I don't care who you are its gotta be Colt
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Wiley Clapp Officer’s Commander or Wiley Clapp Commander. Both fit my hand really well, have nice triggers and shoot great.

Both are hard to beat for EDC. Carry with pride. Both fitted by the old smith's sitting at their benches.
Springfield TRP. I don't know what could be improved upon on that Pistol,

No idea about Cali though.

What determines legality in Cali regarding 1911's?
Thought long and hard about this thread all week, absolute favorite has to be the Baer Custom Carry i bought off Rockchucker here at the 'fire, that pistol is beyond anything i'm able to imagine for a clean, well built, accurate, vault tight, always ready, reliable 1911, did have my 'Smith remove the ambi safety for a single, noticed a couple times i had brushed it off safe while carrying, 'Smith fixed that minor annoyance.
Brother Bobby has had put good guns in several hands. The Mountain Gun he sold he sold me remains one of the first out of the safe for me.

George
Originally Posted by NH K9
Brother Bobby has had put good guns in several hands. The Mountain Gun he sold he sold me remains one of the first out of the safe for me.

George

You bet buddy George, hope we get to share a hunting camp again someday. smile
Rick, I haven't read all; four pages of this thread, but take it from a guy who poured that same kind of money into "fixing" a Para Ordnance P-12 and I sure wish that I would have bought a high end model to start with. I do like that Colt moniker on the side of a 1911 and have only shot a Wilson, but reading here it looks like the Les Baer might be the pick of the litter.
Colt Gunsite 1911. It has never failed me. I have never felt like I was missing anything or needed something else.

I have had the opportunity to shoot many of the ones already mentioned.

Good points Wade. Rick posted some damn nice pistols. I'd probably pick the Les Baer myself, but I have buddies that have the Ruger 1911's and they are damn good for the money. They shoot exceptionally well and always go bang. Have very nice triggers and feel good in the hand. If I were just looking for a really good 1911, that is probably what I'd buy. If I wanted to impress my friends, I'd buy the Les Baer. However, how much better would the Les do vs a Ruger in say a bowling pin shoot? Probably not enough difference to impress anyone.. For the money, the Ruger would be the better pistol IMHO..
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
While I really enjoy shooting my Baer, this old Colt lightweight Commander is a great one for carrying:

And here I though I was the only one that liked S&W sights on a 1911...................

MM

Good post with a lot of valid points.

A good 1911 is a good 1911, no matter what the rollmark says..............so much personal preference.

But not a big fan of production guns with lots of MIM parts, especially safeties & slide locks for obvious reasons, like the one below.

MM

I would like to try stainless Classic 1911 from BUL Ltd. This appears more advanced design with tapering barrel shape replacing barrel busing.
I've had several of the high-end guns. I like Rugers and late (pre-CZ) Colts. I couldn't tell that the high-end guns were much if any better. All shot and functioned well.

Just read the thread and not sure if either of these is Cali compliant.
So without running my google-foo, what makes a 1911 California compliant? Or maybe I should ask, non-compliant?
Drop test compliant via a FPS or a titanium FP, as far as I know.

MM
I'm in for nighthawk custom, have a talon II bobbed diamond coat, a talon like the early catalog with the titanium blue lower and a grp II. I also have a series 70 Delta elite and a 1924 colt non arsenal refinished. I guess my favorite is the one I have in my hand when you ask, I like em all.
Originally Posted by gunner500
Thought long and hard about this thread all week, absolute favorite has to be the Baer Custom Carry i bought off Rockchucker here at the 'fire, that pistol is beyond anything i'm able to imagine for a clean, well built, accurate, vault tight, always ready, reliable 1911, did have my 'Smith remove the ambi safety for a single, noticed a couple times i had brushed it off safe while carrying, 'Smith fixed that minor annoyance.

Was that the one sticking out of you belt at Warehouse Willie's in Poteau, OK?

Not a carry gun, but a great shooter. Les Baer Long Slide .45 ACP.

I thought my Gold Cup was accurate until I shot this one. It shoots like a rifle.

DF

Just a 9mm, but this Springfield is a really good shooter.

[/quote]
Originally Posted by Fireball2

I have a Swenson 45 with a Pardini like trigger.........so nice
For carry........a Tim Brian Officer Model.
They are always better than me.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by gunner500

Was that the one sticking out of you belt at Warehouse Willie's in Poteau, OK?

Not a carry gun, but a great shooter. Les Baer Long Slide .45 ACP.

I thought my Gold Cup was accurate until I shot this one. It shoots like a rifle.

DF

Have to admit that I'm a sucker for the long slide, I was at the range last Sunday and a friend let me shoot his new Dan Wesson Kodiak...........Thinking I might have to get one
I traded for this Les Baer some time back. It was used (barely). Not sure I’d want to pay their current retail. The Dan Wesson would probably be a better buy. Those who have them seem to like them.

Didn’t CZ end up with Dan Wesson? And Colt and a few others. And that’s not a bad thing. The CZ folks seem to be gun people more than just “bean counters”.

DF
I traded for this Les Baer some time back. It was used (barely). Not sure I’d want to pay their current retail. The Dan Wesson would probably be a better buy. Those who have them seem to like them.

Didn’t CZ end up with Dan Wesson? And Colt and a few others. And that’s not a bad thing. The CZ folks seem to be gun people more than just “bean counters”.

DF

Re: CZ Folks

I'm a member of a private range (owned by Hogdon) outside of KC, and the CZ folks are there shooting all the time. I've seen 'em pull up with warranty repair orders to test fire and seen 'em there sighting in their rifles for deer season. So at least the KC CZ team are "gun people."
Thanks for that observation. Reinforces what I’ve read about them.

DF
Rick, I've got a Les Baer Custom Carry on order. I'll let you shoot it this summer when you come up fishing.
I have never handled a Wilson, Ed Brown or Nighthawk; but I do own an early Springfield Professional. I can't say if it is better or worse than the others but it is one fine handgun and is the last one I would ever get rid of. I will own it till I hit the grave.

405wcf

DF

Re: CZ Folks

I'm a member of a private range (owned by Hogdon) outside of KC, and the CZ folks are there shooting all the time. I've seen 'em pull up with warranty repair orders to test fire and seen 'em there sighting in their rifles for deer season. So at least the KC CZ team are "gun people."

I shot some indoor pistol matches at that range back in the late '80s, darned nice place and danged nice folks running it back then (I have no idea about it nowadays). It's in Overland Park, IIRC, and Hodgdon's used to have a double-wide trailer in the parking lot that they used for offices. I met Bruce Hodgdon himself there one time. He directed his secretary to get me some 10mm data when it was "brand new". Heckuva nice guy.
Having owned a Springfield Loaded to dip my toe in the water, and then having my dear wife buy me a Wilson CQB, the Springfield went down the road. The Springfield never bobbled, but there was no comparison in fit, finish, or feel. I imagine the Brown, Les Baer, and Nighthawks are all wonderful iterations of the 1911.
Originally Posted by Condition Yellow
Having owned a Springfield Loaded to dip my toe in the water, and then having my dear wife buy me a Wilson CQB, the Springfield went down the road. The Springfield never bobbled, but there was no comparison in fit, finish, or feel. I imagine the Brown, Les Baer, and Nighthawks are all wonderful iterations of the 1911.

There's no reason why a Les Baer can't be someone's favorite 1911, but much better gun guys than me have said Les Baer 1911's are a mediocre pistol wrapped around a great barrel.
Les said it cost him $100,000, not including the guns he has to supply to CA for testing, to get the few models he makes past their ridiculous regs.
I have a Springfield Range Officer but it makes me feel dirty to admit it, carry it, or be seen with it. It is going down the road when I get my Premier II.
I would say a Springfield Pro. It is everything + of the TRP, cost included in the +. I find it tough to believe what the TRP is asked for, on the secondary market in CA.
20 year old Kimber . Scary accurate.

Dan Wesson Razorback.....
No experience with the high end 1911.

Of the 1911 I own, my favorite is a Sig Sauer RCS in 45. This gun has an aluminum Officer frame and a Commander frame. The Sig magazines allow 7.

I own another Sig in 45, it is a Tac Ops.

My first 9mm 1911 is a SAM 1911A1 with Novak type sights. This gun is in stainless and is tight, slide to frame, better make sure it is adequately lubed! I put a Brown straight back strap on and a Brown ambi-safety. No checkering on the frame, so I put a Hogue finger grove grip on.

I recently purchased a Kimber Aegis II Pro in 9mm. It’s set up much like the Sigs. Night sights, checkering on the frame etc.

By reputation, all the guns you listed Rick are great guns. Pick the one you like best.
Rick Bin: Best of luck with whichever "1911" you choose!
I mostly wanted to let you know how much I appreciated/enjoyed this thread - it reminds me of days long past here on the CampFire.
Sadly I have to draw the line below the recoil of the full house 45 ACP pistols.
My right hand has suffered several "duty related" injuries including several broken bones and the ligament was torn loose from my thumb to my wrist.
Heavy recoil versus my right hand just is to painful to endure for long.
So I admire the 45's (and 44 Magnums!) from afar. I can endure a heavy framed 357 Magnum for a cylinder full or two.
But what I do want to add is one of my former partners who was a firearms instructor and Distinguished Expert pistol shooter and qualified to be on our large departments travelling pistol team now uses the Wilson Combat 1911's for his personal carry and for his serious range uses - he has three Wilson 1911's - two in 45 and one in 9m/m.
I have inspected them all over the last several years and the quality of workmanship is just stunning to me. One of his Wilson Combat 1911's was just under $4,000.00 cost wise but it is an absolute thing of beauty.
He was also an "armorer" on our large department and is, in my opinion, an expert when it comes to pistols.
IF.... I were to acquire a 1911 frame pistol today I would look first at the amazing Wilson Combat line.
In fact the Wilson Combat 1911 that I have been lusting after of recent is the Vickers Elite Commander in 9m/m.
Again best of luck with whichever you choose and let us know.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
my best was a colt combat commander in 45, now my best friend is a ruger 1911 commander in 9mm, i've had more but these are my favorite
This one is definitely a favorite
Bob

50 yd machine rest 10-shot group

I am not a 1911 guru but I've had Springfield Ronin, Rock Island ultra , Llama, and my current Bul Armory Commanders (9mm&45 bought matching pair ) are way better than any of the others . Fit, finish, accuracy, trigger .... All much better. A friend of mine has a Dan Wesson 9mm ( for got which exact model) but he liked the Bul better then his own ....
I'm kinda fond of this particular Kimber:

I have a few Kimbers from the late 1990,s that have been pretty decent pistols ..
Either mt Dan Wesson Valor or a Coltmk4government made in 2011
I have only had two, a RIA, and am Sig. I still got the Sig, love it.
C'mon, Bin, it's been almost 3 months.

Don't leave us in suspense, what'd ya' buy?

He's in California he's probably waiting on permission LMAO
It would be a toss up between a Kimber and an older Colt Combat Commander... depending on how they are set up...I also really like the Springfield Armory pistols a lot but not quite up to the other two if price wasn't a factor... I'm way too cheap to spring for the high end models like Rick showed in the original post, but would love to shoot them sometime. but then the temptation might be too much... wink
Tell us again Rick, why you still live in California? wink

Bob
Colt Gold Cup National Match, dressed up.
It may not be the very best 1911 in a lot of ways, but my favorite is my Series-70 Gold Cup. It shoots better than I can (proven with my Ransom rest), and it never stutters.

Shown with its brother-in-arms, WWI 1911 with WWII arsenal refurb. The old soldier never stutters either but the sights are a challenge, to put it mildly. The .22 Conversion Kit works nicely on both.

Dan Wesson Valor
I like basic Colts and have always been satisfied with them. If I were buying one today for a carry gun, I'd find a 'Ruger Lightweight Night Commander' or whatever they're calling their all black lightweight 4 1/4" pistol with night sights. While I'm far from a Ruger nut, I do like the fact they use a titanium frame insert where JHPs hit the frame ramp.

Dan Wessons are great pistols too.
Not sure if I posted mine in this thread already, but this is what I've been daily carrying IWB for quite a few months.

I go back and forth with 1911s. I've daily carried them off and on (for long stretches of time, typically) since the early 1980s. Right now I'm in the mode where I like them again for daily carry.

Ed Brown Kobra Carry in (need I say it?) .45 ACP.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by jbmi
Colt Gold Cup National Match, dressed up.

Now that's pretty. smile
My Colt IPSC Anniversary.

Haha. Nice call.

Keep in mind, we have to deal with our infamous 10-day wait here, otherwise known as “Cali jail” ... meaning that it takes a while for the 1911 gods to deliver here ...

So, I am happy to report that I FINALLY I took possession of a Les Baer Premier II (1.5 inch guarantee) the day before yesterday, and promptly took it to the range and put 325 rounds of factory 230 FMJ RN through it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

With Milt Sparks 55BN in Cordovan

[Linked Image]

At the range.

REPORT:

As delivered:

Gun is tight, as is to be expected. Zero, and I mean zero rattle. Trigger is very good, but not great - I’d rate it an 8.5/10 (a bit of creep), safety is stiff, checkering on grips and front strap feels aggressive, ambi safety actually pretty well done ... very unobnoxious on the starboard side (I was expecting to change it out, but I am going to keep it as is).

First firing:

Started with the included Tripp mags, and it cycled fine. Moved on to Wilson Combat ETM’s, and for 10 mags in a row, the gun would fire 6 rounds and hiccup on the 7th: failure to go completely into battery. I was a little miffed/concerned, but then did a few factory Colt 7-rounders and it cycled them fine. Pretty clear it was a mag issue.

Impressions: Gun is very, very accurate. Once I got the hold figured out, I was banging steel at 35 yards keeping multiple targets moving so much I sometimes had to wait for one to stop swinging.

I don’t shoot pistols that well !

OK, so that was 100. I CLP’ed the rails and the bushing/barrel, loaded up my mags, and went for round two.

Round two:

It cycled everything, worked 100%. No hiccups. Steel kept swinging. Grinning.

That’s 200 rounds. CLP applied again.

Round three:

100% function. Still grinnin'.

grin

300 rounds.

At this point I changed ammo and shot another 1911 I had brought ... a Colt LW Commander to which I had recently added a Wilson beaver tail grip safety. The new ammo was Blazer 230 grain with aluminum casings, and one thing became apparent very quickly ... the LW kicks a WHOLE lot more.

I decided 25 was enough to test function on the Colt, and went back and put the last 25 through the Baer again with Wilson mags. MUCH nicer to shoot.

100% function. grin

INTERIM REPORT: 325 rounds fired.

I am very happy with the gun so far.

As stated, it is very, very accurate.

As expected/promised, the gun was (and still is) very tight, but functioned 100% with provided Tripp mags, and also with various Colt/Dan Wesson 7-round mags.

Shooting it in quickly ironed out the hiccup with the Wilson mags. To repeat, the first time through, ALL 10 Wilson ET mags hiccuped at the 7th round in exactly the same way. The second and third time through (and the fourth for a few of them), ALL Wilson mags cycled 100%.

The safety wore in some as well, and now operates very satisfactorily, which is to say, it feels excellent.

I’d have to say as of this moment, Les Baer delivered the goods.

Interim Post Script:

Was working the safety and dry firing later, and noticed the port side grip panel was loose. Tightened up the screws carefully and firmly. Starboard side panel was still tight.

The safety has worn in well after hundreds of cycles while bingeing on Better Call Saul.

Blisters on bottom of trigger finger and second knuckle of middle finger (trigger guard) and right side of thumb (safety). There are some edges.

Haha. Nice call.

Keep in mind, we have to deal with our infamous 10-day wait here, otherwise known as “Cali jail” ... meaning that it takes a while for the 1911 gods to deliver here ...

So, I am happy to report that I FINALLY I took possession of a Les Baer Premier II (1.5 inch guarantee) the day before yesterday, and promptly took it to the range and put 325 rounds of factory 230 FMJ RN.

Insert pic here shortly.

REPORT:

As delivered:

Gun is tight, as is to be expected. Zero, and I mean zero rattle. Trigger is very good, but not great - I’d rate it an 8.5/10 (a bit of creep), safety is stiff, checkering on grips and front strap feels aggressive, ambi safety actually pretty well done ... very unobnoxious on the starboard side (I was expecting to change it out, but I am going to keep it as is).

First firing:

Started with the included Tripp mags, and it cycled fine. Moved on to Wilson Combat ETM’s, and for 10 mags in a row, the gun would fire 6 rounds and hiccup on the 7th: failure to go completely into battery. I was a little miffed/concerned, but then did a few factory Colt 7-rounders and it cycled them fine.

Impressions: Gun is very, very accurate. Once I got the hold figured out, I was banging steel at 35 yards keeping multiple targets moving so much I sometimes had to wait for one to stop swinging.

I don’t shoot pistols that well !

OK, so that was 100. I CLP’ed the rails and the bushing/barrel, loaded up my mags, and went for round two.

Round two:

It cycled everything, worked 100%. No hiccups. Steel kept swinging. Grinning.

CLP applied.

Round three:

100% function.

grin

At this point I changed ammo and shot another 1911 I had brought ... a Colt LW Commander to which I had recently added a Wilson beaver tail grip safety. The new ammo was Blazer 230 grain with aluminum casings, and one thing became apparent very quickly ... the LW kicks a WHOLE lot more.

I decided 25 was enough to test function on the Colt, and went back and put the last 25 through the Baer again with Wilson mags. MUCH nicer to shoot.

100% function. grin

INTERIM REPORT:

I am very happy with the gun so far.

As stated, it is very, very accurate.

As expected/promised, the gun was (and still is) very tight, but functioned 100% with provided Tripp mags, and also with various Colt/Dan Wesson 7-round mags.

Shooting it in quickly ironed out the hiccup with the Wilson mags. To repeat, the first time through, ALL 10 Wilson ET mags hiccuped at the 7 round in exactly the same way. The second and third time through (and the fourth for a few of them), ALL Wilson mags cycled 100%.

The safety wore in some as well, and now operates very satisfactorily, which is to say, it feels excellent.

I’d have to say as of this moment, Les Baer delivered the goods.

Interim Post Script:

Was working the safety and dry firing later, and noticed the port side grip panels was loose. Tightened up the screws carefully and firmly. Starboard side panel was still tight.

The safety has worn in well after hundreds of cycles while bingeing on Better Call Saul.

Blisters on bottom of trigger finger and second knuckle of middle finger (trigger guard) and right side of thumb (safety). There are some edges.

Good deal, Man! Welcome to the Les Baer fan club. smile
70 Series Colt Government model .45 birthed in 1972 . Cost a whole $125.00 brand new. Had it every since and have no intention of ever parting with it. I added a beavertail ( mistake ) , Meprolite night sights, adjustable trigger, Colt factory Ivory grips . In fifty years it has never failed me and eats anything I choose to feed it without
so much as a hiccup . Can't beat that.
Now that you have a blued PMII, Rick, you need to ink up on a matching PMII in Baer's hard chrome finish. laugh

P.S., keep shooting 'er, that trigger will smooth out. wink

Originally Posted by EddieSouthgate
70 Series Colt Government model .45 birthed in 1972 . Cost a whole $125.00 brand new. Had it every since and have no intention of ever parting with it. I added a beavertail ( mistake ) , Meprolite night sights, adjustable trigger, Colt factory Ivory grips . In fifty years it has never failed me and eats anything I choose to feed it without
so much as a hiccup . Can't beat that.

I bought a brand new Series 70 back in the early 1980s. That's all Colt was making in Government Models then. Like so many other guns, though, I stupidly sold it in the late 1980s, when the price on the Series 70s had gone through the roof due to not making them anymore.
I really like the Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm.
Now that you have a blued PMII, Rick, you need to ink up on a matching PMII in Baer's hard chrome finish. laugh

Much as I would like to indulge, I don't believe the the hard-chrome-finished version is on the Cali Approved Handgun Roster, which means no dice. I believe I could probably send it back to Les Baer for customization at this point, but I think I have decided that I am going to pursue diligently a worn blued finish with this gun. smile
I used to have a Les Baer SRP. A friend of mine bought it new in the late 1980s. I bought it from him in the early 1990s for a song. He had had it hard chromed like that. It was blued when he bought it.

Great shooter. I eventually sold it, though, because when I carried a 1911 it was usually a different one, and I never quite warmed up to the look of a hard chromed 1911 anyway. Had my friend left it blued, I'd likely have kept it. Come to think of it, though, I think he had it hard chromed because he was carrying it, and it had picked up a little rust, despite his best efforts, and he got tired of battling the rust.
Dan Wesson Razorback 10mm.

Much as I would like to indulge, I don't believe the the hard-chrome-finished version is on the Cali Approved Handgun Roster, which means no dice. I believe I could probably send it back to Les Baer for customization at this point, but I think I have decided that I am going to pursue diligently a worn blued finish with this gun. smile

Got the exact same pistol a bit before you... quite a bit actually... and have a slightly lower round count. It shoots far better than I.
I have three .45;s two are Colts(trophy gold cup, combat elite) and a Kimber Lightweight. I like all three with no clearcut favorite.

Baer is at the top of the list for my next one.
For nostalgic purposes, I want a plain Jane, old school 1911, Colt or Springfield.
Rick: I have quite a few 1911s all Colts save one; A Nighthawk. That would be my choice. I'm sure all the ones you mentioned are functionally superb as are the Nighthawks, so aesthetics did it for me.. Just saw your post, VERY nice pistol. Congrats, amigo!
My Dan Wesson Bruin with Holosun 507c2 is very very hard to beat.
An update on the new Les Baer:

235 rounds fired today, all handloads.

Zero hiccups. Absolutely 100% functionality.

I am past the 500-round break-in now ... I think I’ll shoot it one more time before I break it down and perform first cleaning.

Very pleased right now!

I am past the 500-round break-in now ... I think I’ll shoot it one more time before I break it down and perform first cleaning.

Very pleased right now!

Good to hear, man. Ol' Les builds a fine pistol.

Very pleased right now!

You can never go wrong the a Baer! Mine was a lights out shooter. They are pretty much the tightest 1911s out there and are extremely accurate. Will serve you well for generations
Originally Posted by gunchamp

Very pleased right now!

You can never go wrong the a Baer! Mine was a lights out shooter. They are pretty much the tightest 1911s out there and are extremely accurate. Will serve you well for generations

I did not exactly follow the break in instructions. It involved to much high priced self defense ammo. Being a hand loader I did what I always do I loaded my own. Not one hiccup with everything I feed it. Concept V model. Hasbeen
Just finishing break-in with my LB Premier II and it is handling everything100%.
My first and still my favorite

Originally Posted by Axelrod59
My first and still my favorite

Obviously a Colt Government Model, but what year?
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Originally Posted by gunchamp

Very pleased right now!

I did not exactly follow the break in instructions. It involved to much high priced self defense ammo. Being a hand loader I did what I always do I loaded my own. Not one hiccup with everything I feed it. Concept V model. Hasbeen

Beautiful!

Very pleased right now!

You did good. BAER’s 1.5” guns are amazing. Very tight. You will need to bear down on the bushing wrench to break it down. Love those pistols.
Good choice, Rick on buying a Les Baer.

Personal experience. Les Baer makes a solid, work gun. His 1911 tolerances are extremely tight and will need some breaking in. Depending on the model, some won’t have a lot of shaping to their edges or nice looking refinements, cut into the slide, that typically offer not much, other than eye appeal...They’re built for use, and a lot of it.

I liked his Thunder Ranch 1911 with front and rear slide serration. It’s a serviceable weapon that was designed for daily holster work. A very nice 1911 that once broken in, like good boots, will become a daily favorite to carry.

Wilson Combat makes a good 1911. Their line card for pistols has grown and diversified into other pistols besides the 1911’s. There’s a lot of name recognition built into the prices of their firearms - which isn’t bad, but they typically cost a little more than a Baer 1911. I think a lot of people buy them for the name recognition to show around the gun range. I own a couple of them. Both bought used, like new. I’ve put a few thousand rounds through both. They’re a nice weapon.

Nighthawk was started by former builders at Wilson. Their claim is one builder for one pistol, compared to Wilson Combat might have several builders working on the same pistol being built. I’ve never owned a Nighthawk built 1911. They’re typically a smidge more money than a Wilson build, depending on the model. Owners seem to like them. Many of the individuals who purchase a Wilson or Nighthawk tend to never really use the firearm to it’s potential. It’s almost like a prestige thing to own one. You’ll see a lot of both come up for sale used, but in like new condition.

One not mentioned, that is my personal favorite, is the STI Staccatto 2011. Double stack mag that holds 20+1 of 9mm. Excellent sight options depending on the model if an RMR with co-witness sights is your thing. Nice, smooth trigger, with good operating features and ambi-safety, and they run like a sewing machine.

Fantastic accuracy out of the box. It’s a smidge bulkier than a traditional 1911. But there’s a good selection of holster rigs available for them.

🦫

Turnbull Custom Commander. EXTREMELY accurate, fit and finish second to none.
Originally Posted by hikerbum

Turnbull Custom Commander

Dat's what I'm talkin' 'bout.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Yes, very nice!

Where are your grips from, hikerbum? I'm waiting on a set of elk stags from Grashorns Gunworks that are going on a blued Les Baer.

Turnbull Custom Commander. EXTREMELY accurate, fit and finish second to none.

Class cowboy, right there.

Yes, very nice!

Where are your grips from, hikerbum? I'm waiting on a set of elk stags from Grashorns Gunworks that are going on a blued Les Baer.

Skeen, you will not be disappointed with Patrick's work. I have a set of his elk stags on a 2.5" S&W Model 66-1. They fit like I had sent him the gun.

Yes, very nice!

Skeen, you will not be disappointed with Patrick's work. I have a set of his elk stags on a 2.5" S&W Model 66-1. They fit like I had sent him the gun.

Good to hear, Dirt!
Sheen, the grip are Elk from Turnbull.

Yes, very nice!

Good to hear, Dirt!

Here are a few pics of the 66-1, skeen.

© 24hourcampfire