Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RickBin
Originally Posted by skeen
Now that you have a blued PMII, Rick, you need to ink up on a matching PMII in Baer's hard chrome finish. laugh

P.S., keep shooting 'er, that trigger will smooth out. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Much as I would like to indulge, I don't believe the the hard-chrome-finished version is on the Cali Approved Handgun Roster, which means no dice. I believe I could probably send it back to Les Baer for customization at this point, but I think I have decided that I am going to pursue diligently a worn blued finish with this gun. smile

Got the exact same pistol a bit before you... quite a bit actually... and have a slightly lower round count. It shoots far better than I.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have three .45;s two are Colts(trophy gold cup, combat elite) and a Kimber Lightweight. I like all three with no clearcut favorite.

Baer is at the top of the list for my next one.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
For nostalgic purposes, I want a plain Jane, old school 1911, Colt or Springfield.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rick: I have quite a few 1911s all Colts save one; A Nighthawk. That would be my choice. I'm sure all the ones you mentioned are functionally superb as are the Nighthawks, so aesthetics did it for me.. Just saw your post, VERY nice pistol. Congrats, amigo!

Last edited by jorgeI; 04/13/22.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
My Dan Wesson Bruin with Holosun 507c2 is very very hard to beat.

IC B2

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
An update on the new Les Baer:

235 rounds fired today, all handloads.

Zero hiccups. Absolutely 100% functionality.

I am past the 500-round break-in now ... I think I’ll shoot it one more time before I break it down and perform first cleaning.

Very pleased right now!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I am past the 500-round break-in now ... I think I’ll shoot it one more time before I break it down and perform first cleaning.

Very pleased right now!

Good to hear, man. Ol' Les builds a fine pistol.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Very pleased right now!

You can never go wrong the a Baer! Mine was a lights out shooter. They are pretty much the tightest 1911s out there and are extremely accurate. Will serve you well for generations

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunchamp

Very pleased right now!

You can never go wrong the a Baer! Mine was a lights out shooter. They are pretty much the tightest 1911s out there and are extremely accurate. Will serve you well for generations

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I did not exactly follow the break in instructions. It involved to much high priced self defense ammo. Being a hand loader I did what I always do I loaded my own. Not one hiccup with everything I feed it. Concept V model. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just finishing break-in with my LB Premier II and it is handling everything100%.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My first and still my favorite

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Axelrod59
My first and still my favorite

Obviously a Colt Government Model, but what year?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Originally Posted by gunchamp

Very pleased right now!

I did not exactly follow the break in instructions. It involved to much high priced self defense ammo. Being a hand loader I did what I always do I loaded my own. Not one hiccup with everything I feed it. Concept V model. Hasbeen

Beautiful!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Very pleased right now!

You did good. BAER’s 1.5” guns are amazing. Very tight. You will need to bear down on the bushing wrench to break it down. Love those pistols.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good choice, Rick on buying a Les Baer.

Personal experience. Les Baer makes a solid, work gun. His 1911 tolerances are extremely tight and will need some breaking in. Depending on the model, some won’t have a lot of shaping to their edges or nice looking refinements, cut into the slide, that typically offer not much, other than eye appeal...They’re built for use, and a lot of it.

I liked his Thunder Ranch 1911 with front and rear slide serration. It’s a serviceable weapon that was designed for daily holster work. A very nice 1911 that once broken in, like good boots, will become a daily favorite to carry.

Wilson Combat makes a good 1911. Their line card for pistols has grown and diversified into other pistols besides the 1911’s. There’s a lot of name recognition built into the prices of their firearms - which isn’t bad, but they typically cost a little more than a Baer 1911. I think a lot of people buy them for the name recognition to show around the gun range. I own a couple of them. Both bought used, like new. I’ve put a few thousand rounds through both. They’re a nice weapon.

Nighthawk was started by former builders at Wilson. Their claim is one builder for one pistol, compared to Wilson Combat might have several builders working on the same pistol being built. I’ve never owned a Nighthawk built 1911. They’re typically a smidge more money than a Wilson build, depending on the model. Owners seem to like them. Many of the individuals who purchase a Wilson or Nighthawk tend to never really use the firearm to it’s potential. It’s almost like a prestige thing to own one. You’ll see a lot of both come up for sale used, but in like new condition.

One not mentioned, that is my personal favorite, is the STI Staccatto 2011. Double stack mag that holds 20+1 of 9mm. Excellent sight options depending on the model if an RMR with co-witness sights is your thing. Nice, smooth trigger, with good operating features and ambi-safety, and they run like a sewing machine.

Fantastic accuracy out of the box. It’s a smidge bulkier than a traditional 1911. But there’s a good selection of holster rigs available for them.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

Turnbull Custom Commander. EXTREMELY accurate, fit and finish second to none.

Last edited by hikerbum; 04/23/22.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by hikerbum

Turnbull Custom Commander

Dat's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Yes, very nice!

Where are your grips from, hikerbum? I'm waiting on a set of elk stags from Grashorns Gunworks that are going on a blued Les Baer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Turnbull Custom Commander. EXTREMELY accurate, fit and finish second to none.

Class cowboy, right there.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Yes, very nice!

Where are your grips from, hikerbum? I'm waiting on a set of elk stags from Grashorns Gunworks that are going on a blued Les Baer.

Skeen, you will not be disappointed with Patrick's work. I have a set of his elk stags on a 2.5" S&W Model 66-1. They fit like I had sent him the gun.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (2500HD, 1234, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 22250rem, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,205 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,367
Posts18,506,428
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.