Home
Don't get me wrong. I recommend Glocks to my friends. They go bang every time the trigger is pulled, and do it with acceptable accuracy. And they point very naturally in my hand.

But due to advancing arthritis, even the full size 9mm causes me much pain when shooting. Which is not a problem with DA or SA revolvers, or my 1911s.

I have a Kimber 22 conversion on a Kimber alloy frame, and I love it. But it only runs reliably with Stingers.

And there is just one. So maybe it is time for another 22 when multiple grandkids go to the range.

The Glock 44 sounds ideal, except I do not need to train with a Glock.

The old dependable Ruger mark I/II/III? The Ruger 22/45?

Suggestions?
Thoughts on the Beretta M9 22?
Hard to go wrong with a Ruger Mk of some kind or a Browning Buckmark. Have had a Glock 44 and won't get into it with all those folks who gushed over theirs on that thread but mine just didn't have the real precision accuracy of either the Ruger or Browning.

If you want more of a fun blaster the Glock certainly fits the bill, as would a S&W M&P or in a smaller package a Ruger SR22.
To me hands down the finest is the S&W mdl 41........spendy and hard to find

second best and still very good Ruger MKIII stay away from the 22/45.....Fhuqk the Glock
I got Ruger mk ii and g44, but I’d love to try a browning buck mark.
For many years I've enjoyed shooting my very accurate Browning Challenger (original model). If you can find one in good condition and buy it, I think you'll be pleased with it.

L.W.
Ruger MK IV or Ruger 22/45 LITE, maybe a SR22. Some versions of the Browning Buckmark would be good. S&W Victory or M&P .22 would be equally good. There are a lot of excellent options. Hard to not like a good .22 handgun! Not quite sure I follow your thought process of the Glock sounding ideal, but you don't need to train with a Glock. If this .22 is meant to be a trainer buy one that models after whatever centerfire you are training with. Otherwise if the Glock is ideal, buy the Glock because it fits your needs. If it works ideally then it has merit on its own.
The High Standard Trophy is extremely accurate as is the Victor.
I’m pretty partial to the Ruger Mark’s…..we’ve got a few of the 22/45’s lying around here somewhere! memtb
Browning 1911 would be another fun option.
22/45 or buckmark are excellent and probably available again. I like the safety on buckmark better
I really like both my Ruger MkI and 22/45 pistols. My all time favorite though is the Sig Sauer 1911-22. Smooth and deadly with identical feel to my other 1911's.
About as far from a glock as you can get....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
I have a .22 conversion unit on my Sig Sauer P226 that I like really well.
I found several Ruger Mk I-IV and a couple Buckmarks. $400ish OKAY. Sent 'em to bookmarks.

Then I stumbled across
Colt 1911 GOVERNMENT SERIES 70 22 LR

[Linked Image from p1.gunbroker.com]

Dang, this might cost me more than I anticipated.

It sure is purty.
I have an older 22/45 that has been flawless, yet it stays at home most of the time.

Wouldn't mind a Buckmark

Cz Kadet kit on my cz P01 is pretty legit. It gets pissy if you don't clean it every 1500 rounds or so

I have a marvels unit one. Was a pissy SOB for a few thousand rounds. Then it settled in. Very accurate,, has seen nothing but Aguila and blazer ammo. Needs cleaned every 500 rounds or so to keep running. A red dot and 16 round mags made it even better. By far my most shot rimfire, these days
I failed to mention my wife’s Sig 938 with the 22 conversion! However, if you primarily wanting a 22…..that’s a pricey way to get there! memtb
Yes, logic dictates the $350-$400 Ruger Mark, or even the Browning, possibly a Colt/Walther.

Lust has me drooling over the 1977 Colt target. I am leaning heavily away from logic.
Well aint that what we do?…
Fitting thread. I had my Ruger mk2 out today. Getting it dialed in for an upcoming bowling pin shoot. Upgraded the red dot for quicker target acquisition over the old Bushnell TRS25. 5 pins should be sub 2 seconds now.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's jut how I roll, because it works so well. YMMV..
WTF man. Didn't you hear? you can't shoot pistols forty yards.

Seriously great shooting, and amazing times. Good luck on the pins.
I really like my sig p322. Comes with decent FO sights and 20 rd mags. Havent had any gun related issues in about 500 rds of cci ammo.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Don't get me wrong. I recommend Glocks to my friends. They go bang every time the trigger is pulled, and do it with acceptable accuracy. And they point very naturally in my hand.

But due to advancing arthritis, even the full size 9mm causes me much pain when shooting. Which is not a problem with DA or SA revolvers, or my 1911s.

I have a Kimber 22 conversion on a Kimber alloy frame, and I love it. But it only runs reliably with Stingers.

And there is just one. So maybe it is time for another 22 when multiple grandkids go to the range.

Suggestions?

If you can get your hands on a MkII Target 6-7/8...?

[Linked Image from gunsamerica.com]

You won't be disappointed.

GR
Ruger 5-1/2" Super Single-Six is also a jewel.

[Linked Image from ruger.com]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GR
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Ruger 5-1/2" Super Single-Six is also a jewel.

GR

You are right. I know. I have one. SS Bisley model.
Ruger MK II with Curtis Tactical integrally suppressed upper and Burris Fastfire red dot for me.
I have a Ruger MK II my wife bought me for an anniversary gift many years ago. A great .22 pistol that I have no desire to replace. Feels right and shoots good. Never had a malfunction.
Ruger Mark II or III are nice, some of the 1911's in 22 are fun as well, Glock 44, and S&W M&P 22's feed and shoot well also.
Ruger MK. I think Browning Buckmarks a very nice too and reasonably priced
You've got a lot of options, I have a bunch of marks, one buckmark, smith compact, p22, but I shoot my 22/45 lite the most.
I have a Ruger MK II Government Model and have been very pleased with it.
The next 22 I buy is going to be the new Colt 6 inch model preferably. I’ll settle for the 4 inch though.
I’ve had a S&W Victory for a few years. Was okay, but not really special. Saw Don’s all tricked out with Tandemkross parts and ordered up the whole shebang: trigger, Fastfire mount, and slide loop. Now that gun is a humdinger. Even bought their nice case, and am going to add the holster too before hunting season. I cut the top out of a Fobus paddle holster made for a Beretta 92/CZ 75 to clear the optic, and it fits well, but I want leather.

The trigger is a bit tricky to install with old hands, but well-worth the trouble. The factory one was never comfortable for my finger, but the TK flat-faced one is perfect. Sweet pull too.
Wife likes her Ruger SR22
Originally Posted by huntsman22
About as far from a glock as you can get....

Colt Woodsman.....find a decent used one and you'll be happy!
My Ruger Mark IV is accurate and fun, but I haven't shot it since buying my G44. blush laugh
If weight is a consideration, I'd go to a gun store and ask to handle a Ruger Mark IV lite.

https://www.ruger.com/products/markIV2245Lite/models.html

If the arthritis is in your hands, you'll have an easier time taking it apart for cleaning than an older Mark I, II or III.
Originally Posted by tjm10025
If weight is a consideration, I'd go to a gun store and ask to handle a Ruger Mark IV lite.

https://www.ruger.com/products/markIV2245Lite/models.html

If the arthritis is in your hands, you'll have an easier time taking it apart for cleaning than an older Mark I, II or III.

A sturdy paper-clip... is invaluable.

GR
Fortunately for GrandDismal and her ilk,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even she can "afford" to "contribute" with swiped pics...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon wares that exist and make it a GFI. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
I like my Glocks, but for rimfire semiauto, I've got a Ruger MK IV 22/45.

I had a MKII 22/45 Competition Target Model for many years (6 7/8" slab side bbl), but recently let it go in favor of this handier size and simplified field-stripping of the 5.5" MK IV. Also , being a lefty, the ambi-safety on the MK IV doesn't make me mad.

Browning 1911-22 is a fun gun. I have the 1911-380 and it's one of my favorites to play with. Also excellent for CC.
https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/1911-22.html
If you find a Buckmark or a Challenger , pick it up. They are very nice pistols and accurate. Also, keep an eye out of S&W 422 and 622 pistols. They were priced right with Ruger Semis when they were being made and prices seems to be in the same price range as the Rugers still....
I've 422,622 and 2206,along with Buckmark and likely a "few" others. Hint.

Pass the Ruger(s) in either LITE or S/S Hint................
I grew up shooting a 5.5" bull Ruger Mk 1, which I still have. It went through a lot of bulk ammo when I was a teenager. The S&W Victory is probably my favorite at the moment.

At some point I might check out a polymer pistol from FN or Sig that feels more like a defense pistol. Could be a good trainer.

Suggestions?
Ruger SR22... Best one I've ever used. But you can't go wrong with the MK-II or MK-IV either (avoid MK-III)...
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/942935876
Got a couple colt huntsman, lots of fun to shot
They're all good IMO. Ruger MKII 6 7/8", MKIII 5 1/2" bull, MKIV Lite, SR22, & SW22 Victory. The SR22 is surprisingly accurate for a non-target style pistol.
I'd recommend suppressor-ready if you have the option. Most plinking fun you can have (until the 617 10 shot comes out). Good luck with your deliberation.
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Thanks Bristoe. That is an interesting piece. But does not trip my trigger like that Colt 1911. Is this stuff supposed to make sense?

I may have to buy the Colt to snuggle with and the Ruger MK IV to cook and do the dishes. LOL
WTF man. Didn't you hear? you can't shoot pistols forty yards.

Seriously great shooting, and amazing times. Good luck on the pins.

Thanks buddy. I appreciate it!! I hope you find just the right pistola. I agree with a lot of guys here. Pretty much, they are all good. Just depends on your exact needs. I hang on to my 2 mkII's, after having govt target models, MK1's and standards. However, for both speed and accuracy it really is hard to go wrong with the 5.5" bull barrel like posted pics of earlier. My 6 7/8" slab slide is a great pistol, but I prefer the shorter 5.5" one.
Thanks for all the help. There will be a Ruger coming in the future. Probably the Talo SS Hunter.

But for now, the Colt pictured above is in transit.
Lots of options out there, but few know what a great pistol the Beretta 102 really is.

It will give up nothing to a Model 41 or a Woodsman.

It is also available in the classifieds…

except looks....

'22,

Don't be too fhuqking hard on her,those things REALLY "move" and she's doing her best...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint.

Her Imagination takes her lotsa places,that don't begin to fhuqking exist. Hint.

Bless her heart for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................
I'm fan of .22 pistols and have had tons of different .22 pistols.

As others have said, you can't go wrong with a Ruger Mark series. I've owned several of each variation and the best is the Mark III in my opinion. I like the Mark III over the Mark II, which is also good, because of the positioning of the magazine release. I've heard some complain about the loaded-chamber indicator of the Mark III, but not sure why in that I've owned 5 or 6 of them and never found it to cause any problem. The Mark IV is my least favorite because the controls are awkwardly placed on that model, which makes it difficult for any sort of a "high-grip" hold.

My favorite is an early production stainless Ruger Mark III 5.5" bull barrel. I bought it new in the early 2000s for something like $250 at Sportsman's Warehouse. I'm sure it's had at least 30,000-40,000 rounds through it. The gun is accurate and reliable with my only complaint being they are a pain to take a part and clean. So, I only clean it every 5,000 or so rounds.
I think now that I have my CZ 75 PCR reworked by CGW, a .22 conversion kit with adjustable sights would do what ever that I needed a semi-auto .22 to do. I really like the hammer fired semi-autos.
Marvel Unit Ones are tough to whoop,if you like gawking a hammer. Hint....................

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Fitting thread. I had my Ruger mk2 out today. Getting it dialed in for an upcoming bowling pin shoot. Upgraded the red dot for quicker target acquisition over the old Bushnell TRS25. 5 pins should be sub 2 seconds now.

Good pics have both Mkll's been using both at the Dicken drill no fancy b-27 target just a 8.5x 11" piece of copier paper with a 3 3/4" black bull in the middle. My times been running easy 7 seconds with 100% on the paper 40-50 % in the black. Now if I can get my sig p322 to do that I'll be real happy. I load all my ammo but the 22's get reloaded at wallyworld for 21.16/ 325 fed automatch, it shoots damn good for under 7 cents a round...mb
Idaho Shooter: I used various 22 caliber revolvers to break-in the VarmintKids and VarmintGrandKids to pistol shooting - they were young adults (late teenage) when they started to learn/use semi-automatic pistols.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
All the kids have been shooting my revolvers for years.

There's the aforementioned single six, Ruger LCR, 4 in SP 101, and single seven in 327, and a Taurus Witness, Smith 657, and Ruger SBH in 41 mag. All for which I build loads that even a ten year old can shoot comfortably. My light 327 loads shoot like a 22 mag from a revolver.

Suggestions?

Ok, let me help. The biggest competitor of Glock .22 is Taurus TX 22. Another less popular, but similar alternative would be S&W M&P 22.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Good pics have both Mkll's been using both at the Dicken drill no fancy b-27 target just a 8.5x 11" piece of copier paper with a 3 3/4" black bull in the middle. My times been running easy 7 seconds with 100% on the paper 40-50 % in the black. Now if I can get my sig p322 to do that I'll be real happy. I load all my ammo but the 22's get reloaded at wallyworld for 21.16/ 325 fed automatch, it shoots damn good for under 7 cents a round...mb

Good post buddy. I wish we could go shooting sometime. The Dicken drill is one that got me back into shooting my pistolas. I went for 11 months without shooting a single pistol. I'm not a pistol shooter. Boy people get pizzed when I say that at the bowling pin shoots, as do the slow fuggers in some of the other handgun threads here. They are playing catch up I think. Something they don't get is I've been shooting pistols for a long time. Had a fuggin 29-2 when I was 14. Dirty harry? No ,but it killt a lot of jack rabbits. Running most times too. You don't just get good by sitting at home playing with yourself. My dad told me I could shoot his Browning Buckmark, but I never had an interest in the 22lr pistols when I was young. Bigger is better right? Well, maybe. I do however suggest that if guys have little to no experience with a hangun, start out with a 22lr. You will get in a lot more practical experience with a 22lr. I texted my buddy Gunner yesterday and he said post up those targets, who cares about those sniveling whine babies. He's right, but hurt feelers are hurt feelers right? No need to rub it in. Your approach makes you focus on making better hits on target. I like the 8.5x11 sheet of paper idea, as it makes you focus more. Anyone can hit a damn huge azzed silhouette at 40 yards. Like these guys that shoot at a 2'x2' steel plate set at 1,000 yards with their rifles. Any one can do that with damn near any rifle. We live in a world where second and third and even last place are given trophies. It is what it is...
Thanks for all the help. There will be a Ruger coming in the future. Probably the Talo SS Hunter.

But for now, the Colt pictured above is in transit.

The Colt is a beautiful pistol. I've been seeing quite a few lately. Let us know how it does for you. Thanks buddy..
Originally Posted by Windfall
I think now that I have my CZ 75 PCR reworked by CGW, a .22 conversion kit with adjustable sights would do what ever that I needed a semi-auto .22 to do. I really like the hammer fired semi-autos.

As long as it's reliable. That would be the next question. One of my buddies has a 75B Omega with the conversion kit, as does one of his buddies. They don not run "flawlessly". In the matches I shoot, you need a pistol that runs flawlessly. That is why I choose the Ruger mkII.
The S&W 2206, either the less common target model, 2206 TGT, or the more common style with adjustable sights.

Not the fixed sight version, not unless you're planning to convert it to the target style configuration.

As long as it's reliable. That would be the next question. One of my buddies has a 75B Omega with the conversion kit, as does one of his buddies. They don not run "flawlessly". In the matches I shoot, you need a pistol that runs flawlessly. That is why I choose the Ruger mkII.

Mine has yet to fail, just like the 9mm unit. The weak point, for matches anyway would be the trigger I think. As a cheap trainer or field gun, no problemo. My 75 is an Omega Convertible, and it is a tight fit, but no fitting was required. Fine unit, so far anyway.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Mine has yet to fail, just like the 9mm unit. The weak point, for matches anyway would be the trigger I think. As a cheap trainer or field gun, no problemo. My 75 is an Omega Convertible, and it is a tight fit, but no fitting was required. Fine unit, so far anyway.

That's great to hear. I can only go off of the 2 conversion kits I've seen. They do not compete and have had jams. In a bowling pin shoot, you don't want that because the guy running 5 pins in less than 4 seconds is going to take it. A jam is going to be death, so to speak. Bear in mind, with pistol shooting I bring head to head bowling pin shoots into the equation every time because that is where I see just about everything fail, except for my 3rd gen smiths and my CZ's.. Everything else is suspect to fail, even your ever so trusty glock and others nerves.. Just how it is..
Pappy348, did you get the CZ first generation conversion kit or the second generation? From what I’ve read, the first version may have needed some extra fitting. The second generation they say is a straight swap and go. They do have adjustable sights do they not?

1977 Colt series 70 w/ 22 LR conversion.

It finally came in today. It actually looks nicer than I anticipated. The grips are either new, or have been stored away for all these years. The slots in the grip screws are bubba buggered a bit, but they are easy to replace. There are some marks on the frame where the slide has rubbed the blueing. But hell the old girl is nearly fifty years old. Fully adjustable rear sight.

I have not shot it yet. But I am tickled pink anyway. It certainly feels like a "real gun" in the hand. She is definitely worthy of a home in the safe.
I have a good number of .22 semi auto pistols. The ruger buckmarks, browning buckmarks, and s&w victories are all good pistols.
the new sig checks a lot of boxes.... but that's a beauty right there
That's a seriously classy pistol right there. Congrats on following your lust. wink
I was in Boise this afternoon picking up parts for the aquarium. And I had a few $hundred in Cabelas points on the card. So I stopped at the gun counter to fondle the pistols.

The Ruger MK IV does not point for me. Unless I consciously twist my hand down, it points about 15 degrees high. I suppose that is why they build the MK IV 22/45.

This one points right where it should. It joined the Colt in the safe.

Ruger MK IV
LOL
Kind of opposite ends of the spectrum, aren't they?
Originally Posted by boatanchor
To me hands down the finest is the S&W mdl 41........spendy and hard to find

second best and still very good Ruger MKIII stay away from the 22/45.....Fhuqk the Glock
Model 41 is the best US made .22. Get one.
LOL
Kind of opposite ends of the spectrum, aren't they?

Like that Colt.
What about a High Standard Military, Victor, Supermatic or however they call them? How do they compare to the newer Ruger 22 pistols.

Are there still replacement parts for the Colt Woodsman and Huntsman?
Advantage Arms 22 conversation for your Glock
Like that Colt.

Thanks, so do I.

I think I will like the Ruger as well. It is super light. Will carry easily. And nothing special. If it gets scratched....oh well!

I might even play with a Holosun some day since it came with a rail.
I was in Boise this afternoon picking up parts for the aquarium. And I had a few $hundred in Cabelas points on the card. So I stopped at the gun counter to fondle the pistols.

The Ruger MK IV does not point for me. Unless I consciously twist my hand down, it points about 15 degrees high. I suppose that is why they build the MK IV 22/45.

This one points right where it should. It joined the Colt in the safe.

That's funny because I did the same thing. I had enough Cabela's bucks to cover the whole cost of mine. Picked it up several days ago. I replaced all of the internals with Volquartsen parts, changed the front site, put a halo on and better grips. Haven't even gotten to shoot it yet.

I do have several MK2's and 3's and like them too, the grip angle doesn't bother me. This is my first 22/45.

[Linked Image]
That looks good with that grip.
If a revolver will do, I haven’t found anything superior to the model 18 Smith and Wesson.

If you’re set on a pistol, hard to go wrong with a High Standard, Browning Challenger, Colt Woodsman, or a model 41 Smith and Wesson.

These are guns you’ll be proud to hand down one day.
I like the Browning Buckmark. Mine has been very reliable and accurate. Excellent trigger and easy to maintain.
Buckmarks or Mark IV

My Sig has been totally reliable with all hi velocity and standard velocity ammo I've fed it.
I've got a Glock 44 and a Kimber Conversion for my 1911, love both of them.

I had a Ruger MK IV 22/45 Lite, had a Buckmark but they just didn't stay.

Years ago I had Ruger Standards and MK II's so I'm always looking for them and found kind of a rare one the other day. Ruger MK II Target with the 5.250" Heavy Tapered barrel. After shooting it, it's quickly gained King status in my 22 pistol collection.
I took off the fancy walnut target grips it came with and went to find my old favorites, the Hogue rubber grips. Saw they came in green which was my daughters favorite color, I've kinda made it my favorite by default now since we lost her. So this one speaks to me on the sentimental side and takes me back to my younger days. Doesn't hurt that it works and shoots great.
Show the queen and all the little princes and princesses.... Long live the King..... bwahaha
Originally Posted by TWR

Years ago I had Ruger Standards and MK II's so I'm always looking for them and found kind of a rare one the other day. Ruger MK II Target with the 5.250" Heavy Tapered barrel. After shooting it, it's quickly gained King status in my 22 pistol collection.
I took off the fancy walnut target grips it came with and went to find my old favorites, the Hogue rubber grips. Saw they came in green which was my daughters favorite color, I've kinda made it my favorite by default now since we lost her. So this one speaks to me on the sentimental side and takes me back to my younger days. Doesn't hurt that it works and shoots great.
So sorry to hear of your loss.

That kind of sentimental value is irreplaceable.
The Buckmark offers the most bang for the buck, in my opinion. The Rugers are nice because of all the aftermarket goodies you can add to them, just like their cousin, the 10/22. And, so far, I'm digging the new Sig P322, as well.

Nothing compares to the accuracy from a Smith 41 or Hammerli, though. Nothing I've got, anyway.

Don't leave out the classics.

Colt Woodsman, Huntsman, Challenger
Browning Challenger, Nomad

Okay, they're all really just the same, only different.
Would go with the Ruger mark 4 or the tx 22 competition. Seems to be pretty reliable
Originally Posted by TWR

TWR,
That is awful. Im so sorry man, I had no idea.
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by TWR

TWR,
That is awful. Im so sorry man, I had no idea.
Thanks guys.
Like many things, a good deal depends on how much one wants to spend. I've had a Ruger MKIII 6" bull barrel for over thirty years, accurate and dependable. Other than wiping it down, I haven't cleaned it much. You just can't beat them for value.

Then of course there are the classics. I love Colts..

And even older Colts:

And even Smith & Wesson..
While not likely what you have in mind, I just picked up the new beretta bobcat covert. Dude, most fun I've had in a while plinking, that thing suppressed is a hoot.
Thread got me thinking and realized I did not have a "compact" .22 semi. I fixed that and just ordered a Sig 322 and Smith compact M&P.
I have a .22 conversion on my Sig Sauer P226 that I like real well. For the wife I have a Ruger SR22 which fits her very well. Both guns are reliable and fun to shoot.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Thread got me thinking and realized I did not have a "compact" .22 semi. I fixed that and just ordered a Sig 322 and Smith compact M&P.

you are gonna love the compact m&p, ours has been wonderful, we've gone 500 rounds without a hiccup before, but when it starts acting up, a quick spray clean out and its good to go again. I did just order a thread adapter for mine, the threaded ones werent out when i bought it years ago.
© 24hourcampfire