Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Don't get me wrong. I recommend Glocks to my friends. They go bang every time the trigger is pulled, and do it with acceptable accuracy. And they point very naturally in my hand.

But due to advancing arthritis, even the full size 9mm causes me much pain when shooting. Which is not a problem with DA or SA revolvers, or my 1911s.

I have a Kimber 22 conversion on a Kimber alloy frame, and I love it. But it only runs reliably with Stingers.

And there is just one. So maybe it is time for another 22 when multiple grandkids go to the range.

The Glock 44 sounds ideal, except I do not need to train with a Glock.

The old dependable Ruger mark I/II/III? The Ruger 22/45?

Suggestions?

Ok, let me help. The biggest competitor of Glock .22 is Taurus TX 22. Another less popular, but similar alternative would be S&W M&P 22.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Fitting thread. I had my Ruger mk2 out today. Getting it dialed in for an upcoming bowling pin shoot. Upgraded the red dot for quicker target acquisition over the old Bushnell TRS25. 5 pins should be sub 2 seconds now.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's jut how I roll, because it works so well. YMMV..
Good pics have both Mkll's been using both at the Dicken drill no fancy b-27 target just a 8.5x 11" piece of copier paper with a 3 3/4" black bull in the middle. My times been running easy 7 seconds with 100% on the paper 40-50 % in the black. Now if I can get my sig p322 to do that I'll be real happy. I load all my ammo but the 22's get reloaded at wallyworld for 21.16/ 325 fed automatch, it shoots damn good for under 7 cents a round...mb

Good post buddy. I wish we could go shooting sometime. The Dicken drill is one that got me back into shooting my pistolas. I went for 11 months without shooting a single pistol. I'm not a pistol shooter. Boy people get pizzed when I say that at the bowling pin shoots, as do the slow fuggers in some of the other handgun threads here. They are playing catch up I think. Something they don't get is I've been shooting pistols for a long time. Had a fuggin 29-2 when I was 14. Dirty harry? No ,but it killt a lot of jack rabbits. Running most times too. You don't just get good by sitting at home playing with yourself. My dad told me I could shoot his Browning Buckmark, but I never had an interest in the 22lr pistols when I was young. Bigger is better right? Well, maybe. I do however suggest that if guys have little to no experience with a hangun, start out with a 22lr. You will get in a lot more practical experience with a 22lr. I texted my buddy Gunner yesterday and he said post up those targets, who cares about those sniveling whine babies. He's right, but hurt feelers are hurt feelers right? No need to rub it in. Your approach makes you focus on making better hits on target. I like the 8.5x11 sheet of paper idea, as it makes you focus more. Anyone can hit a damn huge azzed silhouette at 40 yards. Like these guys that shoot at a 2'x2' steel plate set at 1,000 yards with their rifles. Any one can do that with damn near any rifle. We live in a world where second and third and even last place are given trophies. It is what it is...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for all the help. There will be a Ruger coming in the future. Probably the Talo SS Hunter.

But for now, the Colt pictured above is in transit.

The Colt is a beautiful pistol. I've been seeing quite a few lately. Let us know how it does for you. Thanks buddy..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Windfall
I think now that I have my CZ 75 PCR reworked by CGW, a .22 conversion kit with adjustable sights would do what ever that I needed a semi-auto .22 to do. I really like the hammer fired semi-autos.

As long as it's reliable. That would be the next question. One of my buddies has a 75B Omega with the conversion kit, as does one of his buddies. They don not run "flawlessly". In the matches I shoot, you need a pistol that runs flawlessly. That is why I choose the Ruger mkII.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The S&W 2206, either the less common target model, 2206 TGT, or the more common style with adjustable sights.

Not the fixed sight version, not unless you're planning to convert it to the target style configuration.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think now that I have my CZ 75 PCR reworked by CGW, a .22 conversion kit with adjustable sights would do what ever that I needed a semi-auto .22 to do. I really like the hammer fired semi-autos.

As long as it's reliable. That would be the next question. One of my buddies has a 75B Omega with the conversion kit, as does one of his buddies. They don not run "flawlessly". In the matches I shoot, you need a pistol that runs flawlessly. That is why I choose the Ruger mkII.

Mine has yet to fail, just like the 9mm unit. The weak point, for matches anyway would be the trigger I think. As a cheap trainer or field gun, no problemo. My 75 is an Omega Convertible, and it is a tight fit, but no fitting was required. Fine unit, so far anyway.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Mine has yet to fail, just like the 9mm unit. The weak point, for matches anyway would be the trigger I think. As a cheap trainer or field gun, no problemo. My 75 is an Omega Convertible, and it is a tight fit, but no fitting was required. Fine unit, so far anyway.

That's great to hear. I can only go off of the 2 conversion kits I've seen. They do not compete and have had jams. In a bowling pin shoot, you don't want that because the guy running 5 pins in less than 4 seconds is going to take it. A jam is going to be death, so to speak. Bear in mind, with pistol shooting I bring head to head bowling pin shoots into the equation every time because that is where I see just about everything fail, except for my 3rd gen smiths and my CZ's.. Everything else is suspect to fail, even your ever so trusty glock and others nerves.. Just how it is..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pappy348, did you get the CZ first generation conversion kit or the second generation? From what I’ve read, the first version may have needed some extra fitting. The second generation they say is a straight swap and go. They do have adjustable sights do they not?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
[Linked Image from p1.gunbroker.com]

1977 Colt series 70 w/ 22 LR conversion.

It finally came in today. It actually looks nicer than I anticipated. The grips are either new, or have been stored away for all these years. The slots in the grip screws are bubba buggered a bit, but they are easy to replace. There are some marks on the frame where the slide has rubbed the blueing. But hell the old girl is nearly fifty years old. Fully adjustable rear sight.

I have not shot it yet. But I am tickled pink anyway. It certainly feels like a "real gun" in the hand. She is definitely worthy of a home in the safe.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have a good number of .22 semi auto pistols. The ruger buckmarks, browning buckmarks, and s&w victories are all good pistols.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
the new sig checks a lot of boxes.... but that's a beauty right there

Last edited by Bayouhunter; 08/29/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a seriously classy pistol right there. Congrats on following your lust. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
I was in Boise this afternoon picking up parts for the aquarium. And I had a few $hundred in Cabelas points on the card. So I stopped at the gun counter to fondle the pistols.

The Ruger MK IV does not point for me. Unless I consciously twist my hand down, it points about 15 degrees high. I suppose that is why they build the MK IV 22/45.

This one points right where it should. It joined the Colt in the safe.

[Linked Image from ruger.com]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Ruger MK IV

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
LOL
Kind of opposite ends of the spectrum, aren't they?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by boatanchor
To me hands down the finest is the S&W mdl 41........spendy and hard to find

second best and still very good Ruger MKIII stay away from the 22/45.....Fhuqk the Glock
Model 41 is the best US made .22. Get one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
LOL
Kind of opposite ends of the spectrum, aren't they?

Like that Colt.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
What about a High Standard Military, Victor, Supermatic or however they call them? How do they compare to the newer Ruger 22 pistols.

Are there still replacement parts for the Colt Woodsman and Huntsman?

Elmer Keith
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Advantage Arms 22 conversation for your Glock

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Like that Colt.

Thanks, so do I.

I think I will like the Ruger as well. It is super light. Will carry easily. And nothing special. If it gets scratched....oh well!

I might even play with a Holosun some day since it came with a rail.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (06hunter59, 2500HD, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,882
Posts18,497,770
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.