Home
Posted By: bankcardrep1 Never owned a revolver. - 12/05/10
As you have probably heard me say, I got my first handgun in Nov 09, a Browning HP, 40. Like it. Carry daily. Shoot usually once a week or more.

Seeing the threads on the revolvers it is easy to tell everyone is passionate about them.

Why? Why does everyone like their revolvers?
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/05/10
Because they're pretty.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/05/10
Because they're not picky.

And because they're pretty:

In blue:

[Linked Image]

In stainless:

[Linked Image]

When they come in pairs:

[Linked Image]

And when they come with an understudy:

[Linked Image]

They make you sing "25 or 624?"

[Linked Image]

And they bring different types together in harmony:

[Linked Image]

They're good when out and about:

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/oregon45/DSCN4137.jpg[/img]

Or just sitting around at home:

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/oregon45/DSCN4111.jpg[/img]

Why do I like revolvers? Why wouldn't I like revolvers??? grin
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/05/10
Originally Posted by bankcardrep1
As you have probably heard me say, I got my first handgun in Nov 09, a Browning HP, 40. Like it. Carry daily. Shoot usually once a week or more.

Seeing the threads on the revolvers it is easy to tell everyone is passionate about them.

Lemme know the next time you head out this way. We'll go to the range, and you can try a few.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/05/10
Because Marion Morrison may have submitted to a self-shucker, but John Wayne packed a revolver, by God.

If you didn't grow up in the era of Westerns, you might not understand revolvers. We who did feel sorry for you because we KNOW that real guns have cylinders.

(Only kidding a little bit there. There are revolver people and there are semi-auto people. Rarely do individuals gravitate to both.)
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/05/10
To answer more responsively: I like revolvers because they are very tolerant of different loads and different bullet profiles. With no magazine or feed ramp dimensions to worry about you could run a cylinder half filled with shot shells followed up by hard cast wadcutters if you wanted to. That kind of versatility you can't get with an automatic.

Revolvers are, or were before the day of readily available interchangeable backstraps, the easiest guns to adapt to a wide variety of hand sizes. Just bolt on a new pair of grips; I prefer slim grips on my Smith and Wessons, but others might need a more hand-filling profile, which is why Herrett's makes both the Roper and Jordan designs for S&W's.

Revolvers are also less expensive than automatics of comparable quality. The Smith's in the pictures above were all purchased for $500 or less, which won't even get you an entry level 1911 nowadays, and the 1911's in the $5-600 range won't exhibit near the same level of fit and finish.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/06/10
you can build more exciting guns like 475 or 500 linbaugh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

they have great history behind them

[Linked Image]

who can't love a classic colt

[Linked Image]

you can hunt any game big or small

[Linked Image]

and girls love a good revolver

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/06/10
anybody say because they are pretty

[Linked Image]
Posted By: croldfort Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/06/10
Yep, revolvers are purty. I have newer ones that are big and little, but my favorites are older. I have among others, several Russian Nagants, an English Webley, a S&W Victory Model, a Colt Police Positive, and my old favorite, the smooth Colt Official Police. Good luck.
What's not to like?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/TheRealHawkeye/DetectiveSpecialI.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/TheRealHawkeye/CombatMasterpiece.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/TheRealHawkeye/SmithWesson29-2.jpg[/img]
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/06/10
I prefer the trigger on a gun with a nice, smooth double action pull, like a well used S&W, much better than a single action or �safe action� auto. It really teaches you to keep the sights aligned when pulling the trigger. I also don�t like a short or sensitive trigger when wearing gloves in the winter. Even my autos are mostly DAO, including my current favorite Sig with the DAK trigger.

The auto has to be built around a magazine, while the revolver provides more options for getting a good grip on the gun. This also aids in concealing the part that is above the waist.

I also appreciate the ammo versatility with revolvers, especially the ones in magnum flavors. With the same gun and familiar trigger pull you can go from powder puff loads to heavy duty stuff all in one package without having to change out guns or springs. Revolver hollow points can be more dished out and blunt bullets can be more blunt than semi-auto ammo because they cannot impair feeding (except, sometimes, for reloading).

I don�t believe that revolvers are �more pretty� than semis.

They all have their place.
Posted By: bcolorado Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/06/10
For when you're feeling blue...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/06/10
I've never owned a semi-auto that would handle snake-shot cartridges worth a darned.

Jeff
Posted By: McInnis Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/06/10
Another reason, they're simple. You can easily look at one and tell if it's loaded from the outside. For a a double action, pull trigger and "boom". For single action, just cock first.

And yeah, they look neat.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/06/10
And revolvers hold bigger cartridges than autoloaders can practicably handle.
Like you I started with a service type/size auto. I believe I was sold on revolvers when I shot groups at 25 yards with my 686 S&W revolver that were a quarter of the size of what my auto spit out.

I now hunt with revolvers--not many autos are up for this job.

As mentioned here in various ways, there are a lot of loads/calibers that can be shot out of a revolver that cannot be shot out of an auto. You can load them super light and they will still work when you pull the trigger again--heck they even have some rubber or wax bullets that you can shoot in your garage (primer powered only)--Or you can load up one of the big bore power house calibers and take down a cape buffalo.

The current reason revolvers are holding my interest is the history--I love to look at, hold, and shoot SAA, Scholfield 45, or a nice Remingtion 1875. All I can afford are replicas, but I still like them.
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/06/10
because they're pretty....and they hold bigger bullets and more powder.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: noKnees Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/06/10
Did any one mention that with a revolver you don't have to hunt all over the ground for your empties.
Posted By: BIGR Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/06/10
All the things they mentioned, plus one main thing is: when you pull the trigger you know it is going to go bang, unless you have bad ammo.
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/06/10
and if you do have a bad shell, you either just pull again, or cock and pull again. no second hand or contortions required.

and no mag to lose and turn it into a single shot or a no-shot, depending on mag safety.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/06/10
Originally Posted by bankcardrep1
... it is easy to tell everyone is passionate about them.

Because they have fed me, entertained me, comforted me, and kept me alive.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
One thing I really like about them is that you can actually do the majority of your practice dry fire, and it translates perfectly into improving your actual shooting skills. With an auto pistol, you have to recock it each time during dry fire, which is a really bad habit to develop, so should not be done, which means it's much cheaper to develop a very high skill level with a revolver than with an auto pistol.
And take a buddy to the range with you and have them load the revolver for you each time and have them mix in some spent cases to see how bad you jerk the trigger!

If you know it may be an empty you will squeeze it much more cleanly
Posted By: funshooter Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/06/10
You guys are making me want to go out and buy another revolver.
Lovem way more that the semis
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/06/10
Bankcardrep1: I am not being contrary here but I have lived long enough to watch first hand the "popularity" of revolvers be replaced by the "popularity" of semi-automatic pistols.
I am certain there are MORE semi-autos are sold these days than revolving pistols!
My local pawn/sport shop got in a Browning Hi-Power in 40 S&W about week ago and during the interim 5 days that "minty" Browning was scooped up by someone!
I had eyes on it myself but am recovering from a 3,200 mile Big Game Hunting season diesel bill!
I have used both semi-auto pistols and revolving pistols for 40+ years in professional/life and death circumstances and would be hard pressed to defend either as "the best" or the most "popular" for professional use.
I own both and enjoy using both types of pistols - immensely.
It would be nice for you to have BOTH a revolver and a semi-automatic pistol on hand in case you were ever in need to teach or demonstrate their use/function to another new "pistolero".
Yeah, that in itself is good enough reason to buy a revolver.
Good luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Savuti Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/06/10
Along with everything mentioned above, in terms of downrange power per lb of gun packing weight a revolver (especially SA) wins hands down.

Pete
Originally Posted by noKnees
Did any one mention that with a revolver you don't have to hunt all over the ground for your empties.

Cannot believe I left that out--Thats a big one
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/06/10
Originally Posted by noKnees

did anyone mention the sound of a SA , old model
Not the boom,
the walk and talk of a well tuned SAA or Ruger Old Model.
It just speaks quality side arm.
Russian Roulette with a semi-auto pistol just ain't the same.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
laugh
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/06/10
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
...(Only kidding a little bit there. There are revolver people and there are semi-auto people. Rarely do individuals gravitate to both.)

I guess I'm the odd one again.

I have about equal numbers of both - and they all serve their own niche.

Oh - nobody mentioned balance and natural pointng ability for some revolvers in some hands.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/06/10
I don't have to chase my empties, I can make my own shake shot. (A big deal for me!)

Plus, with a revolver I can hit smaller targets at farther distances than I can with any of my semi-autos except for maybe my Ruger MKII.
Throwing my brass into the weeds is the main reason I never liked semi-autos.

Only semi-autos I like are .22's since you don't save the brass anyway.

Added: okay, I really do like 1911's a lot also, I just hate reloading for them.
Posted By: RWE Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/06/10
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Ask Terry Kath

c'mon....

make me smile

Posted By: temmi Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/06/10
I have 2 Jframes for CCW and a .480SHR for hunting and a BlackHawk 45Colt for hunting and caust it is too cool.....
Posted By: Freedumb1 Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/07/10
Always goes boom.

Never jambs.

(Same could be said for my SIG.)

.17 HMR to .45 LC.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/07/10
They have the potential to be more accurate and more powerful, and they like any well engineered item are simple to opperate.

Posted By: HawkI Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/08/10
I guess its mostly personal preference, but the wheelgun is far from outdated for me.

While its not really beneficial to have twenty different loads to try to hit with, the revolver can eat all without hesitation in a fix. I can't say that for the majority of autos I've seen, even the ones the owners say "never" jam, some costing a pretty penny.

Also, the idea of an endless plethora of bullet moulds and scrap lead can feed one with recyclable, functioning bullets for a lifetime.

The grip shapes and styles also allow more flexibility for acurate hitting and as someone brought up, finding a case in the palm of your hand is not a bad thing.

Reloading speed clips is also pretty quick compared to loading a mag stack. Duplicity or even triplicates of cartridge ammo can be housed in one gun. While the odds of needing, heeding or really wanting that can be argued, its there (firing 38 special ammo from a giant Dan Wesson 357 SuperMag is like shooting a BB gun).

I do like a 1911 type gun, the Woodsman and the Hi-Standard HD, and will not say autos are not worthless, I just like wheelies better.
When I was growing up, hardly anybody used autos. Of course, handguns, as a whole, were much, much less popular than they are today. Many men had one, but wouldn't even own up to it. Lots of guys would tell you, "that thing will just get you into trouble, son".

By far, the most popular autos were 1911's. (Talking centerfires only here.) Occasionally, the Browning Hi Power would be around and some people shot war-trophy Lugers or Walthers. The Smiths had reputations for jamming and were not seen much. All .25's and .380's were considered "Saturday Night Specials" regardless of price. The 1911 itself had the reputation of not being able to hit the broad side of a barn due to its "looseness" for milspec purposes.

So most of my generation grew up seeing the revolver used and our Fathers and Grandfathers eschewing the use of anything else. Again, .22's are not a part of my statement.
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Lots of guys would tell you, "that thing will just get you into trouble, son".
True. A teacher's aid said to me yesterday that she hates guns, and added this as just another reason why, i.e., you're more likely to be shot with your own gun if you try to defend yourself with it. I cannot imagine where such stupidity could have originated. If that were the case, we would need to disarm police officers, bank guards, and military personnel.

PS This conversation took place in the context of one of my students being annoyed that he could not do internet research at the school on his research paper on the history of snipers. Every time he did a search he was blocked because it involved guns and gun related websites.
Hard not to like a revolver in my opinion, for so many reasons.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii191/magnumthomas/DSC02684.jpg[/img]
Posted By: tlfw Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/08/10
Be warned...they are addictive in a highly contagious way...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/09/10
Also great for kids.

[Linked Image]
Indeed. Though she's just hefting it there, she's already started on both the Winchester 94-22 and the Hawken's 50 cal.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: leomort Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/09/10
I like that revolvers are more southpaw friendly as compared to most semiautos.
Posted By: rob p Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/09/10
My first handgun was a Smith and Wesson Model 629 Classic with a 7 1/2" full shroud barrel. I bought it as a 21st birthday present to myself. I bought this over a Desert Eagle because it was more accurate, has an infinitely better trigger, and I could shoot .44 Specials from it and take it hunting with .44 mags.

That and a Smith and Wesson model 686 with a 4" barrel have put more rounds down range than all my semi autos combined. Again, I can shoot .38 specials all day and I can drop in .357's for more oomph when needed. I shoot revolvers better, and the ammo options do it for me.
Posted By: bfrshooter Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/09/10
Because they are powerful and accurate.
Can you do this with a little pistol?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tlfw Re: Never owned a revolver. - 12/09/10
kids do love the revolvers too...

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire