Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bankcardrep1
... it is easy to tell everyone is passionate about them.

Why? Why does everyone like their revolvers?

Because they have fed me, entertained me, comforted me, and kept me alive.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
One thing I really like about them is that you can actually do the majority of your practice dry fire, and it translates perfectly into improving your actual shooting skills. With an auto pistol, you have to recock it each time during dry fire, which is a really bad habit to develop, so should not be done, which means it's much cheaper to develop a very high skill level with a revolver than with an auto pistol.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And take a buddy to the range with you and have them load the revolver for you each time and have them mix in some spent cases to see how bad you jerk the trigger!

If you know it may be an empty you will squeeze it much more cleanly

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You guys are making me want to go out and buy another revolver.
Lovem way more that the semis

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bankcardrep1: I am not being contrary here but I have lived long enough to watch first hand the "popularity" of revolvers be replaced by the "popularity" of semi-automatic pistols.
I am certain there are MORE semi-autos are sold these days than revolving pistols!
My local pawn/sport shop got in a Browning Hi-Power in 40 S&W about week ago and during the interim 5 days that "minty" Browning was scooped up by someone!
I had eyes on it myself but am recovering from a 3,200 mile Big Game Hunting season diesel bill!
I have used both semi-auto pistols and revolving pistols for 40+ years in professional/life and death circumstances and would be hard pressed to defend either as "the best" or the most "popular" for professional use.
I own both and enjoy using both types of pistols - immensely.
It would be nice for you to have BOTH a revolver and a semi-automatic pistol on hand in case you were ever in need to teach or demonstrate their use/function to another new "pistolero".
Yeah, that in itself is good enough reason to buy a revolver.
Good luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Along with everything mentioned above, in terms of downrange power per lb of gun packing weight a revolver (especially SA) wins hands down.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
S
S
Originally Posted by noKnees
Did any one mention that with a revolver you don't have to hunt all over the ground for your empties.

Cannot believe I left that out--Thats a big one

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by noKnees
Did any one mention that with a revolver you don't have to hunt all over the ground for your empties.

did anyone mention the sound of a SA , old model
Not the boom,
the walk and talk of a well tuned SAA or Ruger Old Model.
It just speaks quality side arm.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Russian Roulette with a semi-auto pistol just ain't the same.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
laugh

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
...(Only kidding a little bit there. There are revolver people and there are semi-auto people. Rarely do individuals gravitate to both.)

I guess I'm the odd one again.

I have about equal numbers of both - and they all serve their own niche.

Oh - nobody mentioned balance and natural pointng ability for some revolvers in some hands.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't have to chase my empties, I can make my own shake shot. (A big deal for me!)

Plus, with a revolver I can hit smaller targets at farther distances than I can with any of my semi-autos except for maybe my Ruger MKII.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Throwing my brass into the weeds is the main reason I never liked semi-autos.

Only semi-autos I like are .22's since you don't save the brass anyway.

Added: okay, I really do like 1911's a lot also, I just hate reloading for them.

Last edited by Jim in Idaho; 12/06/10.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Ask Terry Kath

c'mon....

make me smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 2 Jframes for CCW and a .480SHR for hunting and a BlackHawk 45Colt for hunting and caust it is too cool.....

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Always goes boom.

Never jambs.

(Same could be said for my SIG.)

.17 HMR to .45 LC.

[Linked Image]

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They have the potential to be more accurate and more powerful, and they like any well engineered item are simple to opperate.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I guess its mostly personal preference, but the wheelgun is far from outdated for me.

While its not really beneficial to have twenty different loads to try to hit with, the revolver can eat all without hesitation in a fix. I can't say that for the majority of autos I've seen, even the ones the owners say "never" jam, some costing a pretty penny.

Also, the idea of an endless plethora of bullet moulds and scrap lead can feed one with recyclable, functioning bullets for a lifetime.

The grip shapes and styles also allow more flexibility for acurate hitting and as someone brought up, finding a case in the palm of your hand is not a bad thing.

Reloading speed clips is also pretty quick compared to loading a mag stack. Duplicity or even triplicates of cartridge ammo can be housed in one gun. While the odds of needing, heeding or really wanting that can be argued, its there (firing 38 special ammo from a giant Dan Wesson 357 SuperMag is like shooting a BB gun).

I do like a 1911 type gun, the Woodsman and the Hi-Standard HD, and will not say autos are not worthless, I just like wheelies better.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I was growing up, hardly anybody used autos. Of course, handguns, as a whole, were much, much less popular than they are today. Many men had one, but wouldn't even own up to it. Lots of guys would tell you, "that thing will just get you into trouble, son".

By far, the most popular autos were 1911's. (Talking centerfires only here.) Occasionally, the Browning Hi Power would be around and some people shot war-trophy Lugers or Walthers. The Smiths had reputations for jamming and were not seen much. All .25's and .380's were considered "Saturday Night Specials" regardless of price. The 1911 itself had the reputation of not being able to hit the broad side of a barn due to its "looseness" for milspec purposes.

So most of my generation grew up seeing the revolver used and our Fathers and Grandfathers eschewing the use of anything else. Again, .22's are not a part of my statement.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Lots of guys would tell you, "that thing will just get you into trouble, son".
True. A teacher's aid said to me yesterday that she hates guns, and added this as just another reason why, i.e., you're more likely to be shot with your own gun if you try to defend yourself with it. I cannot imagine where such stupidity could have originated. If that were the case, we would need to disarm police officers, bank guards, and military personnel.

PS This conversation took place in the context of one of my students being annoyed that he could not do internet research at the school on his research paper on the history of snipers. Every time he did a search he was blocked because it involved guns and gun related websites.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (44automag, 01Foreman400, 808outdoors, 338Rules, 406_SBC, 13 invisible), 1,494 guests, and 731 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,095
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.