Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
As you have probably heard me say, I got my first handgun in Nov 09, a Browning HP, 40. Like it. Carry daily. Shoot usually once a week or more.

Seeing the threads on the revolvers it is easy to tell everyone is passionate about them.

Why? Why does everyone like their revolvers?

Steve ~ Asheville, NC
GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Because they're pretty.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Because they're not picky.

And because they're pretty:

In blue:

[Linked Image]

In stainless:

[Linked Image]

When they come in pairs:

[Linked Image]

And when they come with an understudy:

[Linked Image]

They make you sing "25 or 624?"

[Linked Image]

And they bring different types together in harmony:

[Linked Image]

They're good when out and about:

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/oregon45/DSCN4137.jpg[/img]

Or just sitting around at home:

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/oregon45/DSCN4111.jpg[/img]

Why do I like revolvers? Why wouldn't I like revolvers??? grin

Last edited by Oregon45; 12/05/10.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by bankcardrep1
As you have probably heard me say, I got my first handgun in Nov 09, a Browning HP, 40. Like it. Carry daily. Shoot usually once a week or more.

Seeing the threads on the revolvers it is easy to tell everyone is passionate about them.

Why? Why does everyone like their revolvers?

Lemme know the next time you head out this way. We'll go to the range, and you can try a few.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Because Marion Morrison may have submitted to a self-shucker, but John Wayne packed a revolver, by God.

If you didn't grow up in the era of Westerns, you might not understand revolvers. We who did feel sorry for you because we KNOW that real guns have cylinders.

(Only kidding a little bit there. There are revolver people and there are semi-auto people. Rarely do individuals gravitate to both.)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
To answer more responsively: I like revolvers because they are very tolerant of different loads and different bullet profiles. With no magazine or feed ramp dimensions to worry about you could run a cylinder half filled with shot shells followed up by hard cast wadcutters if you wanted to. That kind of versatility you can't get with an automatic.

Revolvers are, or were before the day of readily available interchangeable backstraps, the easiest guns to adapt to a wide variety of hand sizes. Just bolt on a new pair of grips; I prefer slim grips on my Smith and Wessons, but others might need a more hand-filling profile, which is why Herrett's makes both the Roper and Jordan designs for S&W's.

Revolvers are also less expensive than automatics of comparable quality. The Smith's in the pictures above were all purchased for $500 or less, which won't even get you an entry level 1911 nowadays, and the 1911's in the $5-600 range won't exhibit near the same level of fit and finish.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
you can build more exciting guns like 475 or 500 linbaugh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

they have great history behind them

[Linked Image]

who can't love a classic colt

[Linked Image]

you can hunt any game big or small

[Linked Image]

and girls love a good revolver

[Linked Image]

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
anybody say because they are pretty

[Linked Image]

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, revolvers are purty. I have newer ones that are big and little, but my favorites are older. I have among others, several Russian Nagants, an English Webley, a S&W Victory Model, a Colt Police Positive, and my old favorite, the smooth Colt Official Police. Good luck.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer the trigger on a gun with a nice, smooth double action pull, like a well used S&W, much better than a single action or �safe action� auto. It really teaches you to keep the sights aligned when pulling the trigger. I also don�t like a short or sensitive trigger when wearing gloves in the winter. Even my autos are mostly DAO, including my current favorite Sig with the DAK trigger.

The auto has to be built around a magazine, while the revolver provides more options for getting a good grip on the gun. This also aids in concealing the part that is above the waist.

I also appreciate the ammo versatility with revolvers, especially the ones in magnum flavors. With the same gun and familiar trigger pull you can go from powder puff loads to heavy duty stuff all in one package without having to change out guns or springs. Revolver hollow points can be more dished out and blunt bullets can be more blunt than semi-auto ammo because they cannot impair feeding (except, sometimes, for reloading).

I don�t believe that revolvers are �more pretty� than semis.

They all have their place.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For when you're feeling blue...

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never owned a semi-auto that would handle snake-shot cartridges worth a darned.

Jeff

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Another reason, they're simple. You can easily look at one and tell if it's loaded from the outside. For a a double action, pull trigger and "boom". For single action, just cock first.

And yeah, they look neat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And revolvers hold bigger cartridges than autoloaders can practicably handle.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
S
Like you I started with a service type/size auto. I believe I was sold on revolvers when I shot groups at 25 yards with my 686 S&W revolver that were a quarter of the size of what my auto spit out.

I now hunt with revolvers--not many autos are up for this job.

As mentioned here in various ways, there are a lot of loads/calibers that can be shot out of a revolver that cannot be shot out of an auto. You can load them super light and they will still work when you pull the trigger again--heck they even have some rubber or wax bullets that you can shoot in your garage (primer powered only)--Or you can load up one of the big bore power house calibers and take down a cape buffalo.

The current reason revolvers are holding my interest is the history--I love to look at, hold, and shoot SAA, Scholfield 45, or a nice Remingtion 1875. All I can afford are replicas, but I still like them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
because they're pretty....and they hold bigger bullets and more powder.

[Linked Image]

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Did any one mention that with a revolver you don't have to hunt all over the ground for your empties.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
All the things they mentioned, plus one main thing is: when you pull the trigger you know it is going to go bang, unless you have bad ammo.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
and if you do have a bad shell, you either just pull again, or cock and pull again. no second hand or contortions required.

and no mag to lose and turn it into a single shot or a no-shot, depending on mag safety.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (01Foreman400, 338Rules, 406_SBC, 1minute, 1_deuce, 22 invisible), 1,643 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,089
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.