Home
Like a lot of you I've got a CCW permit, but I only carry occasionally. I've thought about an ankle holster, but using that front right pocket in my jeans seems like a pretty darn handy place for my little J frame. It is a hammer model, so I suppose that it could snag, but it seems to me that a confrontation out on the mean streets wouldn't be a fast draw situation anyway. Having it along anywhere beats not having it with it home in the drawer.
I've pocket carried since 1972. It has advantages and disadvantages. There is a limit to the size of handgun you can carry in a pocket. A J-Frame or similar revolver is about perfect. These days I routinely carry a S&W Shield 9mm in my pocket, but I'm a big guy and maybe my pockets are bigger than those in skinny jeans. The pocket carry method works best with a pocket holster, both to conceal the outline of the gun, cover the trigger to prevent an unintended discharge and also to orient the pistol for better access.

Some guns make me squeamish about carrying them in a pocket, such as pretty much any single action pistol, and any "safe action" semiauto such as a Glock or Shield UNLESS you use a good pocket holster. Also, you should NEVER carry anything else in the pocket (keys, coins, etc) because they could interfere with the trigger and make for an unsafe situation. So you lose the use of one pocket for any other purpose.

The gun will collect lint and other debris after awhile and should be checked on a regular basis and cleaned and lubricated when needed.

Pocket carry makes for a difficult draw when seated and is not as fast when standing as some other methods, but you can have your hand on the weapon in the pocket if you are in a tight spot and hopefully nobody will be suspicious or offended. I always carry the weapon in my strong side front pocket.

I like pocket carry because for me it is comfortable and can be done with almost any mode of dress. It doesn't require an outer garment or even a shirt at all in hot weather. I often carry a Glock 19 in a belt holster when wearing a jacket, but the Shield is still in my pocket as a second gun when I do.
Originally Posted by Windfall
Like a lot of you I've got a CCW permit, but I only carry occasionally. I've thought about an ankle holster, but using that front right pocket in my jeans seems like a pretty darn handy place for my little J frame. It is a hammer model, so I suppose that it could snag, but it seems to me that a confrontation out on the mean streets wouldn't be a fast draw situation anyway. Having it along anywhere beats not having it with it home in the drawer.

Yeah, like you suggest, having delayed access to a pocket firearm is worlds better than not having access to one. Likewise, having a gun in your glove compartment (even if you're twenty yards or more away from it), is worlds better than not having such access. That said, having a handgun ready on your belt for a quick deployment is worlds better than having it in your pocket or glove compartment, especially when you consider all the security cam footage we have of successful self-defense with a concealed handgun, where a split second made the difference between a successful self-defense with a concealed handgun and a failed effort, leading to the death of the victim.

No way I'd carry in the pocket unless I had no other choice.

PS In my early years of concealed carry, back in the 1980s, and a little into the 1990s, I carried in the pocket about as often as on the belt. The more I thought about how I'd more likely than not need to deploy it in self-defense, however, the less I liked the idea of pocket carry.
Pocket carry is all I do with my PF-9. The pistol rides in a sleave holster. Very convenient.

keltec pf9 review

There is no substitution for situational awareness. The forum mall Ninjas will pipe in about how you should be carrying 3 pistols,10 magazines, and a gnarly-looking tactical knife 24x7. But I think that having a firearm in your pocket beats forum-fantasies.

If you are aware, you wont have an issue with digging a gun out of your pocket while heading for cover.
I pocket carry a S&W 637 in a DeSantis pocket holster. My draw uses my thumb as a guard coming out. I haven’t gotten snagged yet, but I still wonder if I should have got a 642 instead.
I like a 442 in a Mika's pocket holster. I have a round-bottomed holster for front pocket carry and a square bottomed one for cargo shorts.
I pocket carry my lcr all the time. I think the most important thing besides shooting a snub revolver is practicing drawing it from your pocket holster.
I pocket carry all the time...got a couple of small frame autos and snubby revolvers that work just fine in the back pocket of my jeans. I have also been known to have a small gun in the chest pocket of my bib overalls.
Originally Posted by cra1948
I pocket carry all the time...got a couple of small frame autos and snubby revolvers that work just fine in the back pocket of my jeans. I have also been known to have a small gun in the chest pocket of my bib overalls.

Back pocket carry beats front pocket carry, since it's an easier fast draw. I used to carry my Colt .380 Government back in the 1990s that way sometimes.
i'd have opted for a 642/442, because when it counts, a snag could be a real problem. but i guess with practice, you might be ok.
Nothing wrong with pocket carry, just don't hav keys in the same pocket. smile

I have a 1971 Chiefs Special .38 2" snubby J frame that is a perfect pocket carry. Occasionally I use it, but primarily as a back up.

[Linked Image]
Nope.

Dave
I always carry a Ruger LCP .380 as my BUG in my right front pocket. I've also carried various S&W J-Frane snubbys in 38 sp. over the last 20 years. And I prefer to keep them in some type of soft pocket holster to keep the lint out of the guns action & barrel.

Several years ago, in Dallas, in the middle of the night, in a bad part of town, I was gassing up my truck as I was about to run out, when two baboons approached me suddenly. As I turned to face them, I stuck my hand in my right front pocket, a move they seemed to immediately recognize, and scuttled off in to the dark like a couple of big cockroaches. 😎
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I always carry a Ruger LCP .380 as my BUG in my right front pocket. I've also carried various S&W J-Frane snubbys in 38 sp. over the last 20 years. And I prefer to keep them in some type of soft pocket holster to keep the lint out of the guns action & barrel.

Several years ago, in Dallas, in the middle of the night, in a bad part of town, I was gassing up my truck as I was about to run out, when two baboons approached me suddenly. As I turned to face them, I stuck my hand in my right front pocket, a move they seemed to immediately recognize, and scuttled off in to the dark like a couple of big cockroaches. 😎

I had the same exact thing happen to me, except I was walking a lonely place in a large wooded park. One gnarly looking guy sees me from a couple of hundred yards distant and makes a b-line for me. When he got about twenty yards away, I squared towards him, put my hand in my front pants pocket, and gripped my NAA Mini Revolver. Just like you said, he knew exactly what I did, and I never even took it from my pocket. Just seeing me put my hand in my pocket completely changed his mind on whatever his plans were. He waved, turned around, and started walking the opposite way.
I did get one of those Galco PH158 pocket holsters and it does help hide the J frame profile, but so what if I print a little without it as I'm still legal and the gun is concealed. I take it you guys are not big fans of ankle holsters. Honestly if someone is holding me at gun or knife point, there is nothing in my wallet that is worth getting in a gun fight for. When we go south for the winter, I carry my credit cards, driver's licence and a few larger bills in a separate credit card pouch, not in my wallet. Like dla wrote, situational awareness to avoid a situation in the first place beats all the defensive firepower a guy could carry. All courage aside, I really don't want to shoot someone if for no other reason than the legal ramifications. Four years ago we had a home invasion and that is as close as I ever want to come.
I pocket carry an LCP all of the time. Front pocket in a Nemesis holster. Like others have said, never put anything else in that pocket.

The only downside I've found is that it's not easy to draw if you are setting down, like in a car.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

As I turned to face them, I stuck my hand in my right front pocket, a move they seemed to immediately recognize, and scuttled off in to the dark like a couple of big cockroaches. 😎

One narly looking guy sees me from a couple of hundred yards distant and makes a b-line for me. When he got about twenty yards away, I squared towards him, put my hand in my front pants pocket.... he knew exactly what I did... Just seeing me put my hand in my pocket completely changed his mind on whatever his plans were.

Well told gentlemen.
That pocket reach zig-zag can be rather dramatic.
Sometimes the purps really do try try to feel you out face-to-face. Damn psychos!

I own one holster and never use it. Always in a coat or pant/short pocket.
I pocket carry routinely. I ALWAYS use a pocket holster, most often an El Paso Saddlery Pocket-Max. The same holster I use with my Colt Detective Special also works with my S&W M36, Walther PP or Ruger LCP, so that if dressing up for a semi-formal occasion and I want to minimize the gun printing, the Ruger LCP "Church Gun" can be carried easily in the same holster that the DS goes into for EDC into dangerous environs like the Food Lion when they are having a meat manager's special on rib-eyes...
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Yeah, like you suggest, having delayed access to a pocket firearm is worlds better than not having access to one. Likewise, having a gun in your glove compartment (even if you're twenty yards or more away from it), is worlds better than not having such access. That said, having a handgun ready on your belt for a quick deployment is worlds better than having it in your pocket or glove compartment, especially when you consider all the security cam footage we have of successful self-defense with a concealed handgun, where a split second made the difference between a successful self-defense with a concealed handgun and a failed effort, leading to the death of the victim.

No way I'd carry in the pocket unless I had no other choice.

Ditto.. The only 'pocket-carry' I do is place one in any of my coats that have an inside pocket designed for a handgun. On occasion I'll carry a Kahr P-380 in an outside coat pocket but it's rare..
Here in S/E Texas, shorts and boat shoes are the official dress. I am large enough to have large pockets. I carry either a j frame or Sig 938 in my front pocket. I also use EEZOX , a dry CLP which cuts down the amount of lint picked up. Hasbeen

If the gun isn't a collector and you like it, bob the hammer.

Or get a 442 or an old M38 if you like J frames.

Just carry the gun.

Nothing wrong with pocket carry.

[Linked Image]
I've always liked hammers and shoot single action way better than double action. One of the reasons that I switched away from my little .380 1911 style Colt Government was it is single action only and well "only" a .380. I got a line on a pre-lock J frame S&W 337 PD for .38+P and at only 10 ounces it can be both single or double action and hits harder. It is so light that I can forget that I even have it along. Probably not a collector piece, but I'm not about to grind on it. I did that to the front sight of a stainless S&W M60 front sight to get it on point of aim with 125 hp ammo and it wrecked the resale value.
Model 38 then. Shrouded hammer for single action, but the hump back gives no snag on draw.

modern equivalent is the 638 if you want new(er)

Resale value is the last thing on my mind when I'm thinking personal protection.

Random thoughts----there's no such thing as a "fast draw" from a pocket holster or an ankle holster. If you decide to pocket carry, don't do it "occasionally" make it a daily habit so that you feel "unusual" when you don't have it in your pocket. Don't "suppose" that your hammer will snag, assume that it will--practice drawing from your pocket to confirm that a hammer gun is generally a poor choice, you'll ruin a number of trousers proving it to yourself-----pocket holsters are distinctly unserviceable to people that are seated and have limited space for mobility, in those cases ankle holsters, cross draw and shoulder holsters are far more accessible, i.e. if you're driving on a cross country vacation or you're a truck driver or in theater seating at a movie, in a pew at church, etc. then pocket carry is probably not your best choice. It requires a change of mindset but get your clothes to fit the gun, not a gun to fit your clothes. Go to Goodwill and get a couple of old jackets that fit you, try shooting thru the pocket to see how and if your gun will function with more than one round.

In the early 80's when I worked for Bianchi, we sold a set of J-frame grips that extended up the back of the frame and acted as a hammer shroud. It basically turned a model 36 into a model 49. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any for sale at gun shows for years, but they were a good attempt at making hammer guns less likely to snag.

JMO-YMMV.
An LCR is holstered in my pocket most days. Right pocket if it's the only handgun. Left pocket if I have something on my right hip. Some pockets and jean cuts work well for it, some don't.
Originally Posted by gmoats

In the early 80's when I worked for Bianchi, we sold a set of J-frame grips that extended up the back of the frame and acted as a hammer shroud. It basically turned a model 36 into a model 49. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any for sale at gun shows for years, but they were a good attempt at making hammer guns less likely to snag.

JMO-YMMV.

I remember those, they were called "Lightening" grips and versions were available to fit J & K-Frame RB revolvers and Colt D-Frames. I had a pair on a Mod 36 for a while but the grip was larger than it needed to be and the rubber composite material was a bit too "sticky" for pocket carry.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 41magfan

JMO-YMMV.

I remember those, they were called "Lightening" grips and two versions were available to fit J & K-Frame RB revolvers. I had a pair on a Mod 36 for a while but the grip was larger than it needed to be and the rubber composite material was a bit too "sticky" for pocket carry.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, something like that should be made of hard, smooth, plastic.
I wish someone would make a modern stainless version of the late 19th century tiny breaktop in 32 S&W.
Barring that, if you like wheel guns, get yourself a LCR in 22LR.
I've always liked hammers and shoot single action way better than double action. One of the reasons that I switched away from my little .380 1911 style Colt Government was it is single action only and well "only" a .380. I got a line on a pre-lock J frame S&W 337 PD for .38+P and at only 10 ounces it can be both single or double action and hits harder. It is so light that I can forget that I even have it along. Probably not a collector piece, but I'm not about to grind on it. I did that to the front sight of a stainless S&W M60 front sight to get it on point of aim with 125 hp ammo and it wrecked the resale value.

Learn to shoot.
I have pocket carried but honestly I've found I much prefer an IWB holster. A pocket carry seems to be an invitation to fumbling with the gun or holster when seconds count.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I have pocket carried but honestly I've found I much prefer an IWB holster. A pocket carry seems to be an invitation to fumbling with the gun or holster when seconds count.

Yeah, it's really mainly for when you have advance warning that something is up. For a sudden need to shoot to defend your life, when you get little or no warning, you need one on your belt.
I only carry when I am away from the house, and then it is a 380 pocket gun in a pocket holster in the right front pocket of my cargo pants or shorts.
Keeps my big fat fingers and other things off of the trigger and pocket dust out of the gun.
I'm thinking that the hammer on a small revolver could wear out a pocket pretty quickly.
Pocket carry is a pretty poor plan....but its a damn sight better plan than not carrying at all....which in and of itself is only moderately worse that "only carrying occasionally."
Originally Posted by LouisB
I only carry when I am away from the house….

I don't know if you're aware of this, but almost ALL home invasions happen………………………..AT HOME! :-)
Maybe like a couple of you have written that placing your hand in your right front pocket eliminates the need to produce the gun in the first place and makes a bad guy think twice about you as a victim. I was visiting a buddy last week and he said that he has four loaded guns stashed around the house. I think that I'll stash a couple more myself. Four years ago September 23 I didn't know that my kid had $5,800. stashed in his room because the bank was charging him a service charge. Some distance acquaintances knew about it and three of them decided to don ski masks and come in to find it. I'd never been robbed before so I wasn't as well behaved as they figured a retired guy should have been. I got 15 stitches out of the deal from a paving brick, plus some other injuries from a floor lamp and bar stool, but the guys left when they heard the shuck, shuck of my .45 going into condition one. The police dog tracked them a quarter mile to where they dropped their bloody jacket and ski mask and DNA did the rest. The one kid had prior burglary and got ten years, but he wouldn't rat out his two buddies. A real exciting evening. It happens.
Keep your weapons locked up. Except for the one you carry.

Why arm the bad guy?
Originally Posted by LouisB
I only carry when I am away from the house….

I don't know if you're aware of this, but almost ALL home invasions happen………………………..AT HOME! :-)

Exactly. I carry at home at all times I'm not sleeping, at which point it's right next to me.
Originally Posted by johnw
Keep your weapons locked up. Except for the one you carry.

Well, that's good advice IF you carry 24/7...
1. read gmoats responses, several times.

2.Having a gun is always better than no gun.

3. neither you nor anyone else can predict the timing or nature of a fight.

4.A quick presentation and 1st shot ability is essential. The Bill Drill is my standard [6 shots into 6" at 7 yards in <3 seconds] I have never seen anyone achieve this from a pocket holster.

5. Believing that the bad guys will run away is not a good basis for a survival plan.

6. Carrying a NAA 22 for self defense defines delusional.

7. Practice, Practice, Practice. Dryfire is your friend.

mike r

JMO-YMMV.

I remember those, they were called "Lightening" grips and versions were available to fit J & K-Frame RB revolvers and Colt D-Frames. I had a pair on a Mod 36 for a while but the grip was larger than it needed to be and the rubber composite material was a bit too "sticky" for pocket carry.

[Linked Image]

There is a set of those for J frame on ebay now. Not really cheap.
An LCP in a pocket holster is much more comforting than nothing at all, but I have found a drawback.

My fat ass got leaner over the last six months and Wranglers have much smaller front pockets than the Dickey's jeans I have worn for years. The LCP and holster is tougher going in than the LCP coming out but it's still tight. But it works very well for many situations like quick trips around town and nighttime bicycle rides out in the country where a confrontation with a meth head is more likely than a home invasion.

But I am ready for options, I am leaning out enough to try the G19 or a G26 and IWB holster but I will continue the LCP pocket carry.

A 9mm LCP if it was possible, would be a hit but a handful.

Since the conversation drifted from strictly pocket carry, at home the LCP is in my pocket or five steps away, in my pocket while working in the garage or outside doing yard work. Inside there is also the G19 and G20 ready to go until I can reach least one rifle or carbine located outside of the safe. A home invasion is unlikely where I live but I do know one family has a meth head son who comes and goes, it's a small 50 home country community with one way in and one way out. To be further prepared, l fenced the property with a 3-rail fence and gate that remains closed and locked at all times. It's a mental barrier for normal people so I am prepared to draw if there is a knock on the door or any person approaches me outside because I know they have jumped the fence.

For the LCP I have found one of these IWB to be more better than pocket carry.

http://blackhawk.com/products/holst...t/nylon/tecgrip-iwb-holster-ambidextrous
Originally Posted by RDW
To be further prepared, l fenced the property with a 3-rail fence and gate that remains closed and locked at all times. It's a mental barrier for normal people so I am prepared to draw if there is a knock on the door or any person approaches me outside because I know they have jumped the fence.

Exactly. My whole property is fenced, and the gate is always locked, so anyone who knocks on the door isn't supposed to be there unless I was expecting them. So the mere knock on the door is an alert to something not being quite right.
My snubby is in my non dominant front pocket each day, and a hand casually placed in a front pocket does not draw attention from most people. With just a modicum of situational awareness, combined with a proper pocket holster and pants with pockets that are conducive to pocket carry, it really is not hard to produce a J Frame from a pocket and get hits on target in under 2 seconds, with just a little practice. Of course that means you actually have to practice, and not just talk about it.

These are slow fire groups BTW, and I was shooting to note the difference between irons and laser sighted fire.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As an aside, In the 90s, while doing uniformed patrol work I figured out (was shown the technique and the reasons why by an LE mentor) that a J Frame carried on the ankle was the way to go for me. I could get to it quickly while seated in the car, for dealing with unknown contacts, who would unexpectedly approach the window of your car.

It was blatantly obvious if you drew your service auto, by your body movements, and that would draw complaints. Just a slight bend forwards would allow me to slip the J Frame into my hand, and then either have it pointed at the person, or slid under my thigh, until I determined their intent/threat level, etc. Obviously the vast majority of the times they were just normal people, with normal issues, or wanting to visit, complain, etc. Twice in the career, I pointed the J Frame at Ne'er Do Wells, while simultaneously exiting my vehicle. Neither time it was fired. Both times, scumbags who thought they had the upper hand, with me being "trapped" in my car, were both shocked at the turn of events.

I owe thanks to an older LE mentor/ USPSA buddy for showing me that technique early on, and have passed it on to many in the business.

My J Frame is very rarely a primary gun. Its role is as a second/BUG, but every now and then it has to serve the role as primary. Not ideal, but there are times and places where options are limited. Around the house when I may not be carrying a regular carry piece, the J Frame works quite well in the pocket for answering the door/managing unknown contacts. If there is not time to tuck my regular CCW type pistol under my shirt, I simply slide a hand into my non dominant pocket and answer the door.
Speaking of J Frames, as I was dropping off my littlest Minion earlier this week I ran into a young guy I don't know very well, but know is a decent guy. He shoots USPSA, and I have been on the same squad with him a few times in the past, a number of years back

Apparently he remembered that I refer to my J Frame as my " Ear-Nose-Throat" gun, since that is likely one of the places it is going to get jammed into somebody if I am down to my J Frame and not using my primary gun. In other words, I am rolling on the ground, lost control of my primary weapon, and things are going very badly.

He inquired as to if I was carrying my "Ear-Nose Throat" gun. I acknowledged that I was. He then asked why "you pros carry small revolvers instead of autos" and stated that he had talked to a number of "older pros" (I assume he meant LE/former LE) and that they all carried J Frames. Apparently I am in the old category now...anyways..

I told him that while there are some very reliable small autos on the market like the single stack Glocks, the J Frame still works and lots of guys are alive today because they chose to carry one every day.
I have a 637 that lives in the door of my truck. I bought one the Mika pocket holsters to keep it clean. It's very well made and has a rubber-like fabric to keep it in your pocket if you need to deploy it in a hurry. I hardly ever carry it but it's handy in a coat or pants pocket for the rare occasion when I do.

https://mikaspocketholsters.com/product/pocket-holster/#prettyPhoto
If you don’t want to mess up your hammer - another option.

I went on EBay and found a hammer for my Model 36 - busted spur from being dropped i guess.

$25 out the door, a little grinding polishing and bluing gave me a bobbed hammer - had more trouble getting the sideplate off than anything else (couple of raps with a screwdriver handle on the grip frame and it finally popped off, but I digress!). The original went into my ever-expanding parts box so I can “restore” it if I want to.

Originally Posted by RWE

If the gun isn't a collector and you like it, bob the hammer.

Or get a 442 or an old M38 if you like J frames.

Just carry the gun.

Nothing wrong with pocket carry.

[Linked Image]
"Revolvers don't jam". That is a quote from a Chicago cop that got into the elevator with me wearing two revolvers after I asked him why he didn't carry a semi-auto? For me carrying all the time just isn't comfortable with any kind of holster that I've tried. If I'm going somewhere where the threat level is higher, then sure I can deal with the lump in my lap. Some interesting stuff in that CCW laundry list of dos and don'ts. You can't shoot in defense of property. I guess that means that if a guy is leaving with your TV that you just say have a nice day. We had a defense lawyer talking to the group and there had been a situation there recently where a guy was car jacked and shot at his own vehicle in an effort to disable it from being stolen. Can't do that was the answer because shooting at any vehicle, even your own, is a class 2 felony.
Nice and lightweight Colt Cobra, is in my pocket alot.
https://i.imgur.com/w5xUIMh.jpg
"Revolvers don't jam". That is a quote from a Chicago cop that got into the elevator with me wearing two revolvers after I asked him why he didn't carry a semi-auto? For me carrying all the time just isn't comfortable with any kind of holster that I've tried. If I'm going somewhere where the threat level is higher, then sure I can deal with the lump in my lap. Some interesting stuff in that CCW laundry list of dos and don'ts. You can't shoot in defense of property. I guess that means that if a guy is leaving with your TV that you just say have a nice day. We had a defense lawyer talking to the group and there had been a situation there recently where a guy was car jacked and shot at his own vehicle in an effort to disable it from being stolen. Can't do that was the answer because shooting at any vehicle, even your own, is a class 2 felony.

That tells me immediately the experience level of the person who makes such a statement.

The bad part is that when they do, they usually are not even remotely as easy to bring back into action as compared to typical malfunctions in a modern semi auto service weapon.

Revolvers have their attributes, and I am a big fan of the J Frames, but they can and do jam, and generally speaking are not nearly as reliable when it comes to high volume shooting, between cleanings.

In fact the weekend before last I was at a friend's who is a well known trainer in the industry. A social/shoot was being held and we were all shooting revolvers. I initially was running my rather tight 4" Model 19-3. However the trigger became extremely hard to pull and the cylinder was having a hard time rotating. Long story short, there was enough carbon built up in various places that is was affecting the advancement/action. Fortunately my friend has no shortage of cool guns, so he produced a rather cool 4" Round Butt K Frame that had been worked over by Wayne Novak.

[Linked Image]

Fortunately his was a lot cleaner than mine!

When I got home a good solvent soak and scrubbing revealed that the Model 19 had accumulated more lead & carbon from shooting wadcutters than I had realized. smile
Originally Posted by kenster99
Nice and lightweight Colt Cobra, is in my pocket alot.
https://i.imgur.com/w5xUIMh.jpg

Those are Old School cool.
I think so too. Have it loaded with hollow based wadcutters, reversed. What you guys think of that, have heard both pro and con,but they flatten out about the size of a nickel in wet newspaper.
I think so too. Have it loaded with hollow based wadcutters, reversed. What you guys think of that, have heard both pro and con,but they flatten out about the size of a nickel in wet newspaper.

I think if you are ever attacked by wet newsprint, you are in business. Otherwise, there are about eleventy four dozen better choices in defensive ammo.
Standard Wadcutters have a very good reputation for penetrating adequately out of 2" .38s and are carried by more than a few very knowledgeable people as their primary J Frame load, with some sort of JHP as a reload (due to ease of reloading with speedloaders or speedstrips as compared to full wadcutters).

I would suggest you turn your HB wadcutters back around.
I really like the Buffalo Bore Ammo loading of their 150 grain hard cast wadcutters for carry in my snub nose 38 specials
Revolvers don't jam, the hell they don't. Just last year, my Ruger SS "jammed" from un burnt 2400 powder flecks getting under the star. I was shooting double action at 7 yards, and it locked up.
I also use the Buffalo Arms 150 cast wadcutters in my S&W 38
Originally Posted by liliysdad

I think if you are ever attacked by wet newsprint, you are in business. Otherwise, there are about eleventy four dozen better choices in defensive ammo.

This.
I really like the Buffalo Bore Ammo loading of their 150 grain hard cast wadcutters for carry in my snub nose 38 specials

Yep.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

That tells me immediately the experience level of the person who makes such a statement.

The bad part is that when they do, they usually are not even remotely as easy to bring back into action as compared to typical malfunctions in a modern semi auto service weapon.

Revolvers have their attributes, and I am a big fan of the J Frames, but they can and do jam, and generally speaking are not nearly as reliable when it comes to high volume shooting, between cleanings.

In fact the weekend before last I was at a friend's who is a well known trainer in the industry. A social/shoot was being held and we were all shooting revolvers. I initially was running my rather tight 4" Model 19-3. However the trigger became extremely hard to pull and the cylinder was having a hard time rotating. Long story short, there was enough carbon built up in various places that is was affecting the advancement/action. Fortunately my friend has no shortage of cool guns, so he produced a rather cool 4" Round Butt K Frame that had been worked over by Wayne Novak.
. smile

Perfectly stated...

One time I had a jammed cylinder with my Freedom Arms M97 in .327 Federal.. And because the design of the cylinder actually shrouds the rims of the cartridges it took a while to get it apart and clear the problem...
Didn't someone on this board mention that there had been an inordinate number of problems with the LCR in 9mm???? IIRC, a significant number of manufacturers don't crimp the bullets enough and the high velocity combined with the light weight of the pistol was allowing bullet-creap and locking up the cylinder. There's no "immediate action" drill to fix that in a gunfight.

I think if you are ever attacked by wet newsprint, you are in business.

That's funny right there.....
Didn't someone on this board mention that there had been an inordinate number of problems with the LCR in 9mm???? IIRC, a significant number of manufacturers don't crimp the bullets enough and the high velocity combined with the light weight of the pistol was allowing bullet-creap and locking up the cylinder. There's no "immediate action" drill to fix that in a gunfight.

Sure there is....pull out your other gun.

A lot of guys I know in the Soldiering /LEO/ Gunfight business have a BUG no matter what they're carrying as a primary, even if they are on a grocery run.
Originally Posted by David_Walter

I think if you are ever attacked by wet newsprint, you are in business.

That's funny right there.....

It would be funnier if it werent true. All the nonsense about wadcutters right side up, backward, or inside out is just silliness with literally dozens of modern, proven choices in defensive ammo easily available. Many of these are designed expressly for snub revolvers.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
My snubby is in my non dominant front pocket each day, and a hand casually placed in a front pocket does not draw attention from most people. With just a modicum of situational awareness, combined with a proper pocket holster and pants with pockets that are conducive to pocket carry, it really is not hard to produce a J Frame from a pocket and get hits on target in under 2 seconds, with just a little practice. Of course that means you actually have to practice, and not just talk about it.
My J Frame is very rarely a primary gun. Its role is as a second/BUG, but every now and then it has to serve the role as primary. Not ideal, but there are times and places where options are limited. Around the house when I may not be carrying a regular carry piece, the J Frame works quite well in the pocket for answering the door/managing unknown contacts. If there is not time to tuck my regular CCW type pistol under my shirt, I simply slide a hand into my non dominant pocket and answer the door.

This pretty well sums it up for me.........the J-Frame has it's place pretty much full time.

I 'still' need to add LGs, though.

George
To answer the original question asked.

The answer is No, nothing wrong with it.
Originally Posted by hikerbum
To answer the original question asked.

The answer is No, nothing wrong with it.

Thats not really true at all...there is a lot wrong with it. The question is, is there enough wrong with it to make it not worthwhile?
Like everything else, it's a compromise.

If you go that route, understand the advantages and disadvantages, and work within them.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Like everything else, it's a compromise.

If you go that route, understand the advantages and disadvantages, and work within them.

The advantage is that you have a firearm available to you. The disadvantage is that in the majority of cases where a self-defense handgun would be useful (i.e., where you have no useful degree of warning), you won't be able to get it into action fast enough to make a difference. Sometimes you will, though, so it's far from useless, and far better than being unarmed. If that's good enough for you, then go for it. Otherwise, figure out a way to carry on your belt.
Could not agree more. The only thing worse than pocket carry is not carrying at all.....and in a scenario where those are the only two options, the right choice is evident. In reality, however, most who pocket carry do so out of laziness. For these, the pistol is a talisman more than a tool. With a negligible amount of research and investment, a more effective method of carry can be found. For most, however, the type of pistol they are willing to carry makes pocket carry as good as any.
And many pocket carry simply out of practicality. I daily have the need to shed my carry gun in a public place where I don't wanna get undressed to do so. And when I do get inside I'm gonna change clothes in a large busy locker room where the sight of an IWB holster would cause problems.

For the quick draw guys who often see scenarios where they have no lead time on a potential or actual threat my advice is to adjust your threat sensors.
What is a better option than a pocket holster with one condition, the person does not want to wear two shirts, a jacket, vest or coat?

For the quick draw guys who often see scenarios where they have no lead time on a potential or actual threat my advice is to adjust your threat sensors.

Unfortunately, real life disagrees. But carry on..

Originally Posted by RDW
What is a better option than a pocket holster with one condition, the person does not want to wear two shirts, a jacket, vest or coat?

I dont know what kind of holsters youve tried.....but I can conceal a M&9c just fine under nothing more than a T-shirt....Buy quality junk, and carry a decent fighting gun. Or dont....
And many pocket carry simply out of practicality. I daily have the need to shed my carry gun in a public place where I don't wanna get undressed to do so. And when I do get inside I'm gonna change clothes in a large busy locker room where the sight of an IBW holster would cause problems.

Such scenarios are being recorded everyday by security cams and cell phones. The data is overwhelming that the majority of self-defense situations with a concealed carry gun involve the sudden appearance of the threat, leaving little time for fiddling with something in a pants pocket. It's not a Walter Mitty fantasy.
Originally Posted by RDW

An untucked shirt would be the best option, not always possible.
I'm not a big advocate of pocket carry...especially pants pocket. That said, over the last two years have been pocket carrying a Kahr P380 when I would normally have been unarmed, like mowing the lawn, working in the yard and when I was doing construction work for a friend when wearing gun on the beltline just wasn't practical. Otherwise I have a Commander on me all the time.

For those of you who pocket carry all the time, have you actually practiced drawing from the pocket while seatbelted in a car from both the drivers and passenger positions? Have you sat at your dining room table and practiced surreptitiously getting your gun into play while an imaginary robbery is going on. I've run courses and practice sessions using those scenarios and can tell you that getting a gun out of a pocket is not as easy as standing around. If you look over over on YouTube and Liveleak at actual carjackings they all too often go down in seconds and would be hard enough to get a gun out of a holster let alone a pocket fast enough to dissuade someone from continuing the attack.

And being bad enough while stopped, try getting your gun out of your pocket while the car is moving, especially if trying to evade someone...

Like Mackay, when I was in LE I carried a backup gun on the leg, but in a leg holster not one on the ankle. Eagle Industries used to make a model called the UAH which held the gun upside down on the support side leg. And no I never worried about shooting myself with a snubbie while carrying it like that. I ran many foot chases with that rig and never had the gun come loose. In addition I also carried a High Standard Derringer clipped to the body armor under the right arm.

One of my female students carried her snubbie in an ankle holster. I was concerned but didn't say anything about as it worked for her and she always had the gun with her when wearing pants. One night as she was entering her apartment she was grabbed from behind and forced face down onto the floor inside the door. The attacker duct taped her eyes and mouth and then turned her over duct taping her hands in front of her and then pulled her pants down to her knees. The attacker then realized the door was still open and got off her to close it...at which time my student drew her gun and fired five shots at the doorway... She never hit him but he never returned either... They never caught the attacker.

Have three friends who pocket carry all the time. One is retired and carries a Model 42 in a soft pocket holster. The other two carry a Kahr P380 and a Diamondback 9mm only because they don't want to be unarmed and are not supposed to be carrying where they work.

I can remember two posts over on one of the other Boards from members who had gone from a full size gun to pocket carry. One guy was a retired LEO who always carried SIG of some kind. He bought I believe a KelTec .32 and soon announced that it had become his primary. A few months later he posted a message on how he had been "in the city" early one morning with his wife with little traffic around when two guys in a pickup tried to force him off the road in an industrial area of town. He was able to evade them but after it was over he pulled over to just breath again and looking at his wife he suddenly realized that if things had gone bad the only thing between the badguys and his wife was a .32... He said he always still carries the .32 but had gone back to always carrying his SIG also.

The other was a guy who had a storage unit down the street from his house in a "nice part of town". Since it was in a "nice part of town" he ran down there to get something one day carrying only his KelTec .32 in his pocket instead of his 1911 that he had been carrying less and less because it "wasn't convenient". He was in the storage unit when a badguy entered with a gun and held him up. The badguy searched his pockets and found the KelTec and then kept asking him "..are you a cop...are you a cop?" The guy was forced into his storage unit and thought he was going to be killed (and probably would have been if the badguy had found a badge) but the robber then left. The poster said if he had been carrying his 1911 in the IWB holster he always used the BG would have never found it...he said he was going back to the 1911... The amazing thing is within a few months the guy is posting looking for suggestions of smaller guns as the 1911 just "wasn't convenient"...

All I can say about pocket carry is don't fool yourself...know the limitations and PRACTICE under realistic rather than ideal conditions...

Bob
Originally Posted by RDW

It will depend of your build and the size of gun you want to carry... I have on many occasions while wearing a dress shirt unbuttoned two buttons and slipped a 1911 or snibbie behind my left hip butt forward. Blouse the shirt slightly at the waist to break up the outline of the gun. I have worn a Commander that way to many weddings that I have taken my sport coat off and no one ever noticed. Just watch out who and how you hug someone...

But realistically you have to dress to the gun...

Bob
I haven't found any issues concealing this with anything more than an untucked shirt.

[Linked Image]

I figure with 9mm +P I've got enough gun to be worth carrying.
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

Absolutely this....a gun is not intended to be comforting, not comfortable.

I am not a big guy, about 5'6 180ish, and I manage to carry a double stack compact 9mm and a spare mag in nothing more than a pair of cargo shorts and a T-shirt each and every single day. In cooler weather, a full size double stack is even easier. Buy a decent holster, dress like a normal human, and carrying an effective fighting gun is not difficult at all.
The lead detective on my home invasion case told me that I would have been well within my rights to have used lethal force because they had placed me in a life threatening situation hitting me with that brick among other things. He said that the Castle Doctrine would have justified it. My Para 1911 was locked in a bedroom drawer and that is what I went for when two of those guys were sacking my son's room. Logic would say that I should have locked the bedroom door and called 911. Jacked up on adrenaline, bleeding, scared and mad as hell, let me tell you that you don't think logically at a time like that. They heard me loading that pistol and ran out. Had that handgun been with me or even loaded when I got to it, I have no doubt that I would have shot someone. The Justice Department picked up my hospital bill, but I think that I would have been on my own in a civil trial. I think about that when ever I carry a handgun now. A good read is "In The Gravest Extreme" for all you guys that carry a handgun.
458Lott,

What is that holster please? I also have an lc9.
The lead detective on my home invasion case told me that I would have been well within my rights to have used lethal force because they had placed me in a life threatening situation hitting me with that brick among other things. He said that the Castle Doctrine would have justified it. My Para 1911 was locked in a bedroom drawer and that is what I went for when two of those guys were sacking my son's room. Logic would say that I should have locked the bedroom door and called 911. Jacked up on adrenaline, bleeding, scared and mad as hell, let me tell you that you don't think logically at a time like that. They heard me loading that pistol and ran out. Had that handgun been with me or even loaded when I got to it, I have no doubt that I would have shot someone. The Justice Department picked up my hospital bill, but I think that I would have been on my own in a civil trial. I think about that when ever I carry a handgun now. A good read is "In The Gravest Extreme" for all you guys that carry a handgun.

The lead detective is a fool for giving legal advice....

It should be on your belt whether you're home or out. Glad you made it.
458Lott,

What is that holster please? I also have an lc9.

As I recall it's a Desantis.
sometimes I put a kahr p380 in my front pocket but you cannot get it out to easy if your sitting down, that is the only problem with pocket carry that I know of.
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

Absolutely this....a gun is not intended to be comforting, not comfortable.

I am not a big guy, about 5'6 180ish, and I manage to carry a double stack compact 9mm and a spare mag in nothing more than a pair of cargo shorts and a T-shirt each and every single day. In cooler weather, a full size double stack is even easier. Buy a decent holster, dress like a normal human, and carrying an effective fighting gun is not difficult at all.

Mall Ninja doctrine.
I carry a g27 a lot in a kydex holster shorts and a T shirt, often I put a spare magazine in my pocket. I think a lot of people carry a spare magazine. I don't think a G27 or G26 rises to the paranoid fantasy level.
I'd be interesting in knowing who amongst you (non LE folks) carries a gun AT LEAST 10 hrs a day (uninterrupted - the gun never comes off), 7 days a week. If you carry less than that, please do not reply. If you do, I'd be interested the following:

1. What do you carry?
2. Where do you carry it?
3. What do you do for a living?
I'd be interesting in knowing who amongst you (non LE folks) carries a gun AT LEAST 10 hrs a day (uninterrupted - the gun never comes off), 7 days a week. If you carry less than that, please do not reply. If you do, I'd be interested the following:

1. What do you carry?

Conditionally, my answer is yes, I do. During the school year, I cannot carry at work, but at every other time, I do. Certainly all summer, all day, every day. Weekends, and all breaks from the school schedule, it's carried all day, everyday. On work days, seven or eight hours of carry is the norm. The gun is almost always a Glock 17 in an El Paso Saddlery C-Force IWB. On rare occasions, it's switched out for a Glock 43 in the same carry mode. The most recent example where I switched to the 43 was when, last week, I went to the blood lab for a blood draw on doctor's orders. Other examples are visits to the dentist. The reason: I'm sitting next to someone in close contact with me for an extended period of time, and don't want any possible printing to prompt a conversation about what's under the shirt. Another example where the 43 would get the nod would be social gatherings where hugging might be a normal greeting.

If you think carrying a serious handgun on the belt is a problem, you haven't made much of a serious effort to figure out how to do it. It's quite comfortable when done right, even with a full service-size handgun. For years I carried a full sized 1911 and for other years I carried a steel K-Frame S&W revolver. Admittedly, the steel 1911 became a bit of a burden on hot days where I was engaging in a lot of outdoor activity, which is one reason I don't carry it anymore. I'd still be carrying the steel K-Frame (Model 13) if it weren't for a desire for greater capacity. It was 100% comfortable carried IWB all day.
Originally Posted by dla

Mall Ninja doctrine.

Perhaps....I simply dont see the point in wearing a gun if im not going to wear an effective one.

And yes, I get paid to carry a gun 40(ha!) hours a week, but the remaining hours are my choice, and I carry one every single hour I legally can. The vast majority of those hours, I carry a M&P 9c in a Comp Tac MTac. Times when I am going where I the possibility of having to use a gun increases, I carry a 5" M&P in the same holster. A reload for the Compact can go in the offside pocket, while a full size reload requires a pouch.
Originally Posted by dla

Mall Ninja doctrine.

Perhaps....I simply dont see the point in wearing a gun if im not going to wear an effective one.

And yes, I get paid to carry a gun 40(ha!) hours a week, but the remaining hours are my choice, and I carry one every single hour I legally can. The vast majority of those hours, I carry a M&P 9c in a Comp Tac MTac. Times when I am going where I the possibility of having to use a gun increases, I carry a 5" M&P in the same holster. A reload for the Compact can go in the offside pocket, while a full size reload requires a pouch.

Hahahahaha........40 hour weeks!

FWIW........daily carry off duty is either the 642 or an XDs. Both are wearing kydex from a local who does outstanding work. The 642 does an equal amount of time in a pocket holster when it's 'secondary'.

A 320 (compact/subcompact) will, eventually, be the primary once I get our transition finalized at work.

George
Originally Posted by NH K9

Hahahahaha........40 hour weeks!

Yeah, I giggled a little just typing that

1. What do you carry?

1.Primarily a Shield in 9mm.
2.IWB right hip, Blade Tech holster.
3.I'm a mechanic basically.

I put the Shield on when I get dressed and unless I go to the PO, it doesn't come off till I go to bed. That means all day at work crawling around on tractors, trucks or cars, play (I shot a steel challenge match today and still carried the Shield), church or whatever. Now I do have an Airweight 38 that I carry in a custom Kydex holster, usually IWB on my hip when I run and I did buy a HPG kit bag for when I'm on longer runs such as training for a marathon due to everything else I have to carry.

I sometimes carry the Shield in either a T-shirt with a built in holster or soft shoulder holster rig if I need to tuck my shirt in for church, funerals, weddings or such. I wear Wrangler jeans and pocket carry in them is out of the question. I guess I could wear cargo shorts and pocket carry in those but I promise you my draw time will be quicker with my IWB holster.
I carry a SP101 357 in my pocket every day.

I did not have a holster at first, but I do now.

Much better with the holster, maybe a bit slower though.
I have carried a gun full time for years. I retired in 2013 and even before than when I was in sales, I carried (at the time) a S&W 642 in a Blackhawk holster. No one was supposed to carry at work, my boss knew I did and approved of it due to his confidence in me. I ALWAYS carry on an OWB holster at 3:00. Over time since I retired, I have rotated a number of guns since I've retired. I carry various guns now mostly semi autos in a Zack Davis Leather Holster. From the time I put my pants on in the morning till the time I get ready for bed around 11:00pm I have a gun on me. On the VERY RARE occasion I don't have my holster on, it is rare but it does happen, like when I am planning on going on base for health care or to pick up a prescription. On those occasions, like going to the grocery store in the evening if for some reason I don't have a gun on I will put one in my pocket and it will be a Ruger LCR, or a Ruger LC9.

Having said all that I would never carry in an ankle carry due to my body build. No way I could get to a gun in a realistic time frame. I don't see a problem if someone wants to pocket carry a gun. For me to do it is pretty rare as I carry too much stuff in my front pockets. If I'm going to pocket carry it's probably going to be in a back pocket. I'm a big guy and my pockets are bigger than a lot of peoples so I can carry in my back pocket pretty easily and it's pretty easily available. However there is always the issue of sitting on your gun and then you are screwed pretty much. That's why I approach things the way I do. On the other side, I haven't ever noticed someone pocket carrying. Just tonight at Golden Corral, I noticed 3 people carrying and they were all carrying OWB. I was in a smallish area and there wasn't that many people, but you would think I'd have noticed at least 1 person pocket carrying.
I wear a gun unless sleeping. Glock19 in a CoM aiwb when concealed, at home it's the same G19 in owb in a kydex tech on a Montana Sling leather belt. My last job was firearms instructor, have been retired for1.5 years.

mike r
My two Rugers are .38sp and .22. The .38 gets carried in my front pocket in a pocket holster whenever I don't feel the need to carry my G-19 or my 1911. Or sometimes it gets carried as a bug.

[Linked Image]
Reading this thread I'll have to say when I carry it's a LCP in my right front pants pocket in a pocket holster. I rotate magazines every month and keep the pistol clean. I need to start pulling the pistol out of my pocket and place it in the console when driving because I couldn't get the pistol out seated.
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Reading this thread I'll have to say when I carry it's a LCP in my right front pants pocket in a pocket holster. I rotate magazines every month and keep the pistol clean. I need to start pulling the pistol out of my pocket and place it in the console when driving because I couldn't get the pistol out seated.

I've got a Glock in the console for that. wink
I carry in my front pocket wearing a Break Away pair of shorts. I can hide my Glock 40 in that pocket that is sewed into the shape of a holster. I also use a big Sticky Pocket holster to smooth out any defining lines when I sit down. The Break Aways have two snaps along the top of both front pockets (Ambidextrous carry) that unsnap and leave you with direct access to the gun. It's faster than trying to sling a shirt out of the way to get to either an OWB carry or a IWB carry. I normally carry my 1911 in the Break Aways because it is an 1" shorter which does make a difference.
I haven't seen any shorts like that. What brand are they and where did you buy them?
I haven't seen any shorts like that. What brand are they and where did you buy them?

maybe they were issued to him when he was a Chippendale?

http://www.ccwbreakaways.com/
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

Having said all that I would never carry in an ankle carry due to my body build. No way I could get to a gun in a realistic time frame.

A lot of the guys I used to work with carried model 60s in an ankle rig. Had to learn to walk when they started and had to learn again if they ever took it off.
My stainless M60 is 22 ounces and the reason that I carry my M337 PD at 10 ounces.

in any given approach to self defense, one should look at the totality of a method--and that means leaving nothing out.

subsequently, pocket carry can be a valid means--but it should be looked at in some type of appropriate context.

here where i live, it is essentially winter from mid October to mid March. over the past 37 or 38 years, my wife and i do a walk of about 4 miles every day. normally, i prefer to carry inside waistband, right appendix, and this has been my preferred method for many years. on these walks i usually wear a medium weight jacket, then a hoodie, and then a long, water repellant nylon shell over the top. most times, big clumsy gloves are a must. with this garb on and my preferred method of carry, i've found that if potentially needed, i can't get a rig into action quickly--it is much too slow.

that is when i utilize pocket carry, carrying a Ruger 2 1/4 inch factory hammer bobbed .357 magnum, using 125 gr. Gold Dots in a mid-load. i carry it in my left (non-dominant side), jacket pocket, which is big and roomy--and sans a holster. at times one can remove the glove, and keep a hand on the rig. it can be brought into action quickly if needed, or fired right through the pocket....

each person has to find what might work for them, and then prove that given approach out at the range--using a timer.
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel

in any given approach to self defense, one should look at the totality of a method--and that means leaving nothing out.

subsequently, pocket carry can be a valid means--but it should be looked at in some type of appropriate context.

here where i live, it is essentially winter from mid October to mid March. over the past 37 or 38 years, my wife and i do a walk of about 4 miles every day. normally, i prefer to carry inside waistband, right appendix, and this has been my preferred method for many years. on these walks i usually wear a medium weight jacket, then a hoodie, and then a long, water repellant nylon shell over the top. most times, big clumsy gloves are a must. with this garb on and my preferred method of carry, i've found that if potentially needed, i can't get a rig into action quickly--it is much too slow.

that is when i utilize pocket carry, carrying a Ruger 2 1/4 inch factory hammer bobbed .357 magnum, using 125 gr. Gold Dots in a mid-load. i carry it in my left (non-dominant side), jacket pocket, which is big and roomy--and sans a holster. at times one can remove the glove, and keep a hand on the rig. it can be brought into action quickly if needed, or fired right through the pocket....

each person has to find what might work for them, and then prove that given approach out at the range--using a timer.
I consider coat pocket concealed carry to be an entirely separate category that typically works much better than pants pocket concealed carry, and is often superior to IWB, which would be too slow when one is fully bundled up for the cold. Ideally, if concealment weren’t an issue, open carry on an exterior belt would be the best solution, but short of that, coat pocket carry is the best alternative in these circumstances. When most of us bring up pocket carry, though, I believe we have in mind pants pockets, unless otherwise specified.
© 24hourcampfire