Home
Posted By: colodog Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/15/20
I've been seeing some good prices on 40 S&W handguns and ammo and I'm wondering if I need one..
It seems a bunch of shooters are losing interest in it but I'm still wondering.

If I was following true 'campfire routine I'd buy ammo and find a gun to fit it..

What's your view of a 40 and do I need one or two?
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/15/20
We report, you decide.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-40-sw-your-tax-dollars-at-work/
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/15/20

None needed.
Posted By: viking Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/15/20
The question is why don’t you already have one?
Originally Posted by colodog
I've been seeing some good prices on 40 S&W handguns and ammo and I'm wondering if I need one..

If I was following true 'campfire routine I'd buy ammo and find a gun to fit it..

Prices on police trade ins are so low, you might as well have one. You never know when 9mm and .45 will suddenly fly off the shelves due to a pandemic, leaving only .40 S&W available.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/15/20
Or, use all the money that you would use to buy the 40 and the ammo and buy some cases of ammo for guns that you already have. Put it aside for a rainy day.
Originally Posted by SargeMO

Did you write that?
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/16/20

Good job.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/16/20
Why not have one?
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/16/20
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Did you write that?

Yes Sir, Sixgun Journal is mine. And thank you JWP.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/16/20

Did you write that?

Great article, Sarge.

Did you write that?

Well written.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/16/20
A 40 is not a bad thing to have.

Mine is a Glock 22. I have alternate barrels for it in 9mm and 357 Sig.

Sometimes when 9mm ammo is hard to find, 40 or 357 Sig might be on the shelf.
Posted By: Blackbat242 Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/16/20

I get around the recoil & controllability issue with a nice, solid firearm... the full-sized IMI Baby Eagle in .40 S&W.
I bought it in 1993 - it is an all-steel weapon. It has thin grip pads and solid-steel front&rear straps - but is still very comfortable! Polygonal rifling as well.
Gotta love skilled weapon designers.

It looks like this one (except that the safety is slide-mounted, not frame-mounted), down to the "Desert Eagle Pistol" marking!

[Linked Image from budsgunshop.com]
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/16/20
I have a couple and love them. I could care less if anyone else has one.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/16/20
I've always had some of 40 for the last 25 years, still have 2 that won't be going anywhere soon. BTW great article Sarge.
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
I've always had some of 40 for the last 25 years, still have 2 that won't be going anywhere soon. BTW great article Sarge.

Seems strange to hear someone say they've had .40 S&W for 25 years. To me, as someone who remembers its first appearance on the scene, it seems like a new offering still. I remember when it didn't exist like it was yesterday.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/16/20
I got a G23 back in 1994, 26 years ago. Another "I'm getting old" moment about it was that Speer had just introduced the Gold Dot. It and the Hydrashok were the first reliably expanding handgun bullets, from what I remember. Remember when Gold Dot came in gold boxes, not the black ones that they've used for years? My, how things have changed.
I got my Gen 2 Glock 23 back in the early 1990s, too, when it first appeared. Already had a Gen 2 Glock 19. Sold both of them, because at that time I decided I didn't like the way Glocks felt in my hand, and didn't like the triggers. I wish I could travel back in time and tell myself to just shoot them a lot and I will get used to them till they feel very natural in the hand and point naturally, and the trigger becomes second nature with practice. Wish I never sold those two.

I was then Glockless till the early to middle 2000s, when I picked up a Gen 3 Glock 27. Didn't like the way it carried IWB (felt uncomfortable for some reason), and didn't like the way it shot, so it stayed in the safe for a few years, then got dumped at a gun show.

Then, in the early 20 teens, I determined to get a Glock 17 and focus exclusively on learning it and learning to carry it IWB. With range time, and research, I became quite good with it, and discovered you get used to the way it carries to the point you don't even notice it, given a proper belt/holster. After that, I became a huge Glock fan, and acquired many of their models.

Currently (and for the last nearly two years), my daily carry has been a Glock 26, Gen 5. A close second favorite for daily carry is my Gen 5, Glock 19. Both are bone stock except for red dot front night sights by Ameriglo. Love that little 26, the way it shoots and carries (I don't even know I'm carrying it). The 19 could replace it, though, at least on occasion. Both great daily carry guns that shoot and carry really well, not to mention their being 100% reliable with tons of aftermarket support.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/16/20

Seems strange to hear someone say they've had .40 S&W for 25 years. To me, as someone who remembers its first appearance on the scene, it seems like a new offering still. I remember when it didn't exist like it was yesterday.

Yeah, mine is the original. It was made 30 years ago:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Then I have a newer one with a 16+1 capacity, that runs flawlessly as well:

I'll never be without my 40's...
Posted By: memtb Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/16/20

colodog, Do you “need” one, probably not! But, it’s a darn good cartridge, and we have several lying around here somewhere.... along with other handgun cartridge variations. It just plain makes since to diversify! memtb
Posted By: Teal Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/16/20
FWIW - I checked on Ammo on Friday. Before the panic really set in.

9mm was the only one missing from the shelf. Copious amounts of 45ACP and 40 SW plus typical revolver ammo available.

Multiple options in a compressed supply chain isnt a bad thing.
Posted By: dla Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/16/20

The prices on quality pistols is hard to beat. I picked up a new M&P40 2.0 Compact for $299. Nicer than a G23 IMO.
If you don't shoot much, the price of ammo ($13/50) isnt an issue. If you reload then ammo cost is a nit.
Posted By: dla Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/16/20

Did you write that?

Good blog!
Posted By: sdgunslinger Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/16/20
interesting about the Remington FMJ ammo flattening out and expanding

I always liked the 40 because of the cheap flat nosed ammo , but looks like it is even better than I thought
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/16/20
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
interesting about the Remington FMJ ammo flattening out and expanding

I always liked the 40 because of the cheap flat nosed ammo , but looks like it is even better than I thought

Thank you all for the kind comments on the blog. Need to get off my ass and get a few new articles up.

On the UMC/FMJ- I wouldn't call that 'riveting' consistent or repeatable on demand. I have seen this occasionally, during informal testing, with both Remington's older copper colored jacket and this more recent brass colored jacket they're using. Truthfully, it would take a lot of closely- controlled testing to even get an idea of what resistance is required for this to occur.. I am not inclined to undertake it. One should also remember this is a price point load and Rem/UMC may make changes (such as a plated bullet instead of jacketed one) to stay competitive.

If I was inclined to carry a 40 FMJ load, I would still select UMC. An old adage applied here. Expect the worst and anything else becomes a pleasant surprise.

Originally Posted by teal

Multiple options in a compressed supply chain isnt a bad thing.

Absolutely correct.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/16/20
Yes, it's a fine cartridge, a Bud gave me 1000 of the double cannelured 180gr HST's to shoot in my P226, that said, I'm still going to look for a 357 Sig barrel for it.
Posted By: EdM Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/16/20
I thoroughly enjoy shooting my 40. It is a Canadian made Para 16/40 1911 that someone had tweaked (Bomar sight, fitted barrel bushing and link, great trigger, etc.). I bought it at a pawn shop in 2000. It is easy to shoot well and is dead reliable once I tweaked the magazines to fit high and tight. I also fitted a 10 mm Bar Sto barrel and bushing though I have yet to fire that combo. Buy one.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/16/20
My favorite .40 is a Kimber Stainless Gold Match, an original, no firing pin block, that I have owned and shot for more than 20 years. It runs like a sewing machine and has shot many a USPSA and IDPA match.
Posted By: colodog Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/17/20
Thanks for the replies and information and Sarge, Thanks for the article! Well written and helpful.
I was considering a compact Baby Eagle but will likely go with a Tanfoglio Witness. I like their 9mm and another from the same litter makes sense to me.
Natchez has PMC Starfire for $5 and change a box so i'll stock up a bit on several brands to see what it likes.

Thanks again!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/17/20
I like my springer EMP 40......
Posted By: colodog Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/17/20
Hey Huntsman, Thanks for the reminder! I like the EMP as well.. I'll have to see what's available here locally but will likely order in exactly what I want.
Shopping options are a little different in my new neighborhood than what I'd gotten used to in Denver...
Posted By: wayno945 Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/17/20
Just picked up a LEO tradein P226 and P229 40 from CDNN. They were brand new... couldn't believe those were going for less than $500.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/17/20
There's really nothing wrong with the 40, & I own 2 & they do get used frequently, a G23 as a car gun & a G27 as coat pocket gun for short trips with a big jacket with pockets.

However, with all due respect, that article by Sarge was a little prior to all the newer / better versions of 9mm.

And to say with a straight face that many women have no issues with it, is somewhat misleading as I'm reasonably sure that that is some significant multiple of the women who cannot, & never do & never will successfully adapt to the 40 as compared to the number of ones that do.

And most any Gluck dealer will tell you straight out that the G27 is the most traded in pistol on the market......................

So again, nothing wrong with it, & there really are some good buys on guns in 40, but in the same gun vs a 9mm, the 40 is very noticeably snappier to shoot & control with any kind of speed than a 9; anybody that denies that is either in a state of mental denial or simply not being truthful...................except for the macho hee-roes; prolly Elmer woulda liked a G27 just fine. wink

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
There's really nothing wrong with the 40, & I own 2 & they do get used frequently, a G23 as a car gun & a G27 as coat pocket gun for short trips with a big jacket with pockets.

However, with all due respect, that article by Sarge was a little prior to all the newer / better versions of 9mm.

And to say with a straight face that many women have no issues with it, is somewhat misleading as I'm reasonably sure that that is some significant multiple of the women who cannot, & never do & never will successfully adapt to the 40 as compared to the number of ones that do.

And most any Gluck dealer will tell you straight out that the G27 is the most traded in pistol on the market......................

So again, nothing wrong with it, & there really are some good buys on guns in 40, but in the same gun vs a 9mm, the 40 is very noticeably snappier to shoot & control with any kind of speed than a 9; anybody that denies that is either in a state of mental denial or simply not being truthful...................except for the macho hee-roes; prolly Elmer woulda liked a G27 just fine. wink

MM

I have to agree with you.

MM

I have to agree with you.

The snappiness of the .40 S&W does slow repeat shots for me vs my 9mm Glocks, and requires more concentration on keeping a tight two-handed grip on the gun to avoid the need to reacquire a proper grip round to round.
Right now, anyone who's out of ammo needs a .40, because there's no 9mm in stock.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/18/20
It would really suck to be in that predicament............................. eek

MM
Posted By: JOG Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/18/20

I'm not disagreeing - more of an addition. 'Noticeably snappier' is only fair if the pistols being compared are similar in size/weight. The last time I owned a .40 S&W it was a Hi-Power - a cream puff. Yep, it kicked more than a 9mm Hi-Power, but less than a 25 oz 9mm.
Yep, that's what I said " but in the same gun vs a 9mm, the 40 is very noticeably snappier to shoot & control with any kind of speed than a 9".

Add enough weight to just about any gun & you can get to a point where it's a "cream puff".

So long as there is no particular gun model or style that I really, really want that is only available in 40, I won't be buying a 40 anytime soon.................there's just no compelling reason.

MM
Posted By: moosemike Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/18/20
I'd rather have a .40 than a 9mm but I don't have either.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/18/20
40 S&W is good, but a Glock in 40 or 20 will shoot 10mm and 40 S&W without doing anything special.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/18/20
Originally Posted by moosemike
I'd rather have a .40 than a 9mm but I don't have either.

- That's intriguing.
Posted By: jwall Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/18/20

The 40 S W was introd. 1990.

I just got mine last month and I LIKE it.

Someone (?) mentioned 'recoil', IMO the recoil is mild.

I have a thread in this forum "40 S W AMMO" and I JUST bumped it now.

Jerry

MM

M M , I'm not arguing with you just giving my experience only.

A . My thread on 40 S W AMMO is in this forum from last month. I'll not repeat what I reported.

B. I was basically out of shooting handguns MUCH until I got my 40 in Feb. I still have a S W 6906 and it ain't going no where!
I don't know about the weight of other 40s so I have no comment.

I shot my 40 off hand the first day or so and did NOT notice much recoil. WHEN I put both the M P 40 & 6906 on
my Pistolero I noticed the 40 had 'more' muzzle jump --> NOT terrible.

I'll repeat just this:
I shot Double Tap & Triple Tap with the 40 at 15 steps at a firewood block and a 12"x12" metal plate -- NO misses.

Now, I carry my 40 more than the 9mil.

Jerry
Posted By: dla Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/18/20

The snappiness of the .40 S&W does slow repeat shots for me vs my 9mm Glocks, and requires more concentration on keeping a tight two-handed grip on the gun to avoid the need to reacquire a proper grip round to round.

Pull on your big girl panties and deal with it.
Honestly, if you can't handle the 40sw, you can't handle the 45acp.
Originally Posted by dla

You really are talking outta your azz.

Go shoot a full house SD 155 or 165 gr load in 40 S&W out of a G27 vs whatever you want out of a 5" 1911 for both speed & accuracy................not just one shot every 30 seconds.

I absolutely guarantee that unless you are Jerry Miculek or Bob Vogel, or some other pro level shooter, that you & almost everyone else not at a pro level will do considerably better with the 1911 or 9mm

It not about just "recoil", it's about the package & the snappiness of the 40 & muzzle flip vs a push from a 45.

Sure, a 40 S&W in a 5" 1911 would likely be pretty tame, but then again, most 40's being used for SD purposes are not the size or weight of a 40 oz 1911, they are much smaller & lighter.

Or maybe you just fall into the pro shooter group..............I don't put myself there either but I shot competitively for a number of years & am considerably better than the average JoeBlow with any handgun.

As I've said, nothing rally wrong with a 40, but very few people will ever shoot it as well as a 9mm in the same package so please don't piss down my neck & tell me it's rainin'.

Given the 9mm ammo & bullet construction of today, there's just no compelling reason for the 40.

MM
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/18/20
The only “compelling” reason to buy a .40 caliber handgun is if there’s no 9mm ammo or handguns available in that caliber. 🤠
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
A 40 is not a bad thing to have.

Mine is a Glock 22. I have alternate barrels for it in 9mm and 357 Sig.

Sometimes when 9mm ammo is hard to find, 40 or 357 Sig might be on the shelf.

PREZACTLY

On a related note, I dropped by my LGS today and my dealer had a like new Gen 4 Glock 32 in .357 Sig with Factory Night Sights for $399.
He let me have it for $350 out the door. Figured I might need a spare for my old Gen 3 Model 32 I’ve been carrying for years!
🤠
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
The only “compelling” reason to buy a .40 caliber handgun is if there’s no 9mm ammo or handguns available in that caliber. 🤠

Agreed, but it would really suck if one allowed oneself to get into that position............................ eek

MM

Agreed, but it would really suck if one allowed oneself to get into that position............................ eek

MM

Yep. That would definitely suck.
And I would imagine some of these panic buyers are going to find themselves in that position if they waited until the Corona Virus Scare to buy a handgun.

While I was buying the above mentioned Model 32 in .357 Sig a few hours ago, lots of idiots were in the store trying to buy 9mm ammo. And of course, it was already all gone.
A couple of those customers said they had just been to Walmart & Academy and they didn’t have any. I just kind of snickered. 🤠
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/18/20

LMFAO

If you 9mm whiners don't hush up I'm going to sic Glockdufus on you. wink

The females referenced in the article did, in fact, master .40 caliber duty guns well enough to TCB with it. In the vast majority of cases, TCB means deciding it is necessary to shoot a SOB to the ground, before he can shoot/cut/bludgeon you, and following through with vigor until it's done. If it goes well you get 1-2 shots into the middle of him. Start to finish, those are the time frames that matter. Split times won't mean schidt an nobody will be holding a watch or buzzer. Observe, Orient, Decide, ACT.

You can rave all you want about all service calibers being equal but from my observations, it's sailboat fuel. Sig line says the rest.

LMFAO

If you 9mm whiners don't hush up I'm going to sic Glockdufus on you.

The females referenced in the article did, in fact, master .40 caliber duty guns well enough to TCB with it. In the vast majority of cases, TCB means deciding it is necessary to shoot a SOB to the ground, before he can shoot/cut/bludgeon you, and following through with vigor until it's done. If it goes well you get 1-2 shots into the middle of him. Start to finish, those are the time frames that matter. Split times won't mean schidt an nobody will be holding a watch or buzzer. Observe, Orient, Decide, ACT.

You can rave all you want about all service calibers being equal but from my observations, it's sailboat fuel. Sig line says the rest.

Not me Sarge. I only own 2 9mm’s. A Glock 19, a Sig P365.
Everything else I own is 45acp, 10mm, 40 & .357 Sig in my autoloaders.
I was being sarcastic. Damn we need us a sarcasm emoji. 😬
chil --

I 'think' or 'thot' that THIS - smirk (smirk) indicated sarcasm. NO ?
sarge, you sig line says....

"The only thing muzzle energy ever killed was time that could have spent shooting meat and learning something about how bullets work."

I agree with your post and sig line. However not being in L E or military I don't have personal experience in shooting
hoomans (grin).

I know over the years the LE has switched BACK and FORTH between cartridges and pistols/revolvers.
It's no big deal to me.

Now, For MYSELF only, I prefer the larger dia bullet (meplate). Larger going in----> more damage.

OTOH - in my testing of the 40 SW alongside of the 9mm I noticed this:

The 9mm 147 Gold Dots EXITED my block of firewood.
The WW 180 Bonded HPs ROCKED the same block. some exited others didn't. *** note I'm not sure of the consistency of the inside of the block.***

I hope I never have to shoot someone ---- I have confidence the 9 & the 40 will stop them.

Your opinion please.

Jerry

The females referenced in the article did, in fact, master .40 caliber duty guns well enough

Well, of course, you're 100% right in that statement & that scenario........................

Problem is, I haven't seen many women who want to carry something for an EDC breakin' down the doors to get to all them DUTY SIZED Beretta 92's or Sig's (does Sig even make a 40 anymore? wink ) or a G22 or a G35 or a G24 in 40 cal.

So their macho husbands, BF's & dumb-azzed counter jockeys at the LGS try to sell 'em a G27 or some similar sized pistola in 40 S&W.

Which, as I said, for most, just doesn't usually work out too well. (Do you really think it does??)

My wife is a very good shooter, especially for a woman, has several guns of her own including a 357, but after shooting a magazine full of 40's from my G27 & the same from my G23, she flatly refuses to pick either one up again.

But, some always just barrel straight ahead & don't read sign very well.

MM
Posted By: SU35 Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/18/20
Good write up and why i pack a G23.

At the time, while backpack hunting for mule deer in the Cascades of WA State we on more than a few occasions would have bears in camp. We hunted in the most densely populated bear area of WA.

Sleeping in a light tent or under a tarp and wanting a load to whack yogi and yet pack light I went with the G23.

These loads accompanied me and still do. No nine for me.

"Double Tap offers a 200 grain .40 S&W load, with a similar bullet, that does 1050 fps from a Glock 23."
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/18/20
MM,

For the last 20 years I trained, most all the agencies I trained for would allow an approved 9mm to be carried. I recall a couple of officers, little bitty girls with tiny hands and almost pencil-size fingers, who simply couldn't qualify with a 22 or 23. One barely qual'ed with an M&P9 and the other one never did. Both soon realized they weren't going to be able to bulldog drunks either, and found other callings. Most of our gals did fine with the 22-23 and often shaded our male shooters. They had no preconceived notions about pistol shooting, they were eager to excel and they were great students. It always tickled me when one of them made high shooter for the day. I had one female who carried a Para LDA P14-45 and she could flat shoot.

I've got a 27 with the flush base-plate, that I shoot quite a bit. I can barely get two fingers on it, but manage it OK. The 26/27 make a great coat or vest pocket gun; I carry a G22 mag as a backup. The 27 is not the gun for a novice or someone recoil sensitive. The original M&P Compact is a real soft-shooting 40 and light years better for that class of shooter. My wife and a couple of female relatives found then just about perfect.

I don't have a problem with the nine anymore than I do with a 38 Special, They're both good cartridges which have, like all others, benefited from improvements in propellants and projectiles. I just prefer a little more horsepower.
Posted By: viking Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/18/20
Ok, I am turning into a curmudgeon. But if a male or female officer can’t handle the recoil from a 23 or 22, they have no business working to road. Sometimes their squeaky little voices just won’t get it done.
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/18/20
The only .40 I have is a conversion barrel for my Glock 20. But i've shot enough 200 pound hogs with it to feel confident in it's capabilities. The 9mm is best kept for anything under 50 pounds Imo. I'd even take a .40 over a .45 for it's greater capacity and penetration potential. If all you've got is fmj, a flat nosed .40 cal is head and shoulders above any round nose for terminal performance.
Originally Posted by dla

I have zero problem handling a .40. Just my observations of issues related to it. I find .45 ACP to not have those issues to nearly the same degree as .40.
Originally Posted by dla

Go shoot a full house SD 155 or 165 gr load in 40 S&W out of a G27 vs whatever you want out of a 5" 1911 for both speed & accuracy................not just one shot every 30 seconds.

I absolutely guarantee that unless you are Jerry Miculek or Bob Vogel, or some other pro level shooter, that you & almost everyone else not at a pro level will do considerably better with the 1911 or 9mm

It not about just "recoil", it's about the package & the snappiness of the 40 & muzzle flip vs a push from a 45.

Sure, a 40 S&W in a 5" 1911 would likely be pretty tame, but then again, most 40's being used for SD purposes are not the size or weight of a 40 oz 1911, they are much smaller & lighter.

Or maybe you just fall into the pro shooter group..............I don't put myself there either but I shot competitively for a number of years & am considerably better than the average JoeBlow with any handgun.

As I've said, nothing rally wrong with a 40, but very few people will ever shoot it as well as a 9mm in the same package so please don't piss down my neck & tell me it's rainin'.

Given the 9mm ammo & bullet construction of today, there's just no compelling reason for the 40.

MM

Well said.
Posted By: dla Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/18/20
Originally Posted by dla

MM

Well said.

Yes, if you're a total feucktard.
Posted By: sdgunslinger Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/18/20
Originally Posted by dla

MM

Well said.

how in the world is it logical to compare the 40 in a very light subcompact to a full size 1911 45 ??

and of course in a very light gun the 9mm will be easier to handle than a 40 or 45
The .40 was designed to be chambered in smaller, lighter, guns than the .45 ACP. I think that's part of the problem. Had they chambered it in a gun the size of the Glock 21 or 20 (or even 30), it would be a pussycat. In fact I know that to be the case, because I have a .40 S&W barrel for my Glock 20 and it is indeed a pussycat in that platform. It shoots more pleasantly, even, than my Glock 21, which is pretty pleasant to shoot.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/19/20

LMFAO

Sorry if you thought that was a jab because I quoted your post. Only the LFMAO applied, as an attaboy for your play on words.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/19/20
MM,

For the last 20 years I trained, most all the agencies I trained for would allow an approved 9mm to be carried. I recall a couple of officers, little bitty girls with tiny hands and almost pencil-size fingers, who simply couldn't qualify with a 22 or 23. One barely qual'ed with an M&P9 and the other one never did. Both soon realized they weren't going to be able to bulldog drunks either, and found other callings. Most of our gals did fine with the 22-23 and often shaded our male shooters. They had no preconceived notions about pistol shooting, they were eager to excel and they were great students. It always tickled me when one of them made high shooter for the day. I had one female who carried a Para LDA P14-45 and she could flat shoot.

I've got a 27 with the flush base-plate, that I shoot quite a bit. I can barely get two fingers on it, but manage it OK. The 26/27 make a great coat or vest pocket gun; I carry a G22 mag as a backup. The 27 is not the gun for a novice or someone recoil sensitive. The original M&P Compact is a real soft-shooting 40 and light years better for that class of shooter. My wife and a couple of female relatives found then just about perfect.

I don't have a problem with the nine anymore than I do with a 38 Special, They're both good cartridges which have, like all others, benefited from improvements in propellants and projectiles. I just prefer a little more horsepower.

Sarge,

Yes, I agree with most of that especially the part about women & preconceived notions, but most are more sensitive to recoil than most men.

True that also about the S&W original compact, it is a softer shooting gun that the G27 is.

My G27 has the Pearce mag extender bases but with the lip at the bottom ground off straight..............it sees a lot of quick trips & running around outside pocket carry too. Works fine. Handy & potent.

MM
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/19/20

LMFAO

Sorry if you thought that was a jab because I quoted your post. Only the LFMAO applied, as an attaboy for your play on words.

No problem Sarge.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/19/20
With a 9 and a 10 no need for a .40. If there was much a 40 would do in SD that a 9 would not, folks would be buying more 40's but their not.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/19/20
I'm glad you get on here and said that Jimmy, even if it did take four pages. I was beginning to worry about you.
Posted By: winchester70 Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/19/20

If you have strong hands and years of shooting experience, absolutely buy one, it's an outstanding threat stopper. However, as referenced many times over the last 3+ pages, it's not for tender men, most women, or the inexperienced.
Posted By: jwall Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/19/20
Originally Posted by jimmyp
With a 9 and a 10 no need for a .40. If there was much a 40 would do in SD that a 9 would not, folks would be buying more 40's but their not.

Not arguing, curiosity.

How many guys have 10 mm ?

Who now offers 10 mm pistols ?

The 40 SW is a 10 mm 'short', similar to 44mag & special.

Jerry
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/19/20
Originally Posted by winchester70

If you have strong hands and years of shooting experience, absolutely buy one, it's an outstanding threat stopper. However, as referenced many times over the last 3+ pages, it's not for tender men, most women, or the inexperienced.

I have never shot a 9mm but keep hearing about how the 40 has terrible recoil.

Never noticed it recoiling all that much.

Hell I had a Glock .380 and thought it had far snappier recoil than my 2 40s.

Had a Ruger P345 that I felt was borderline on being controllable for consecutive shots.
Posted By: jwall Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/19/20
P 5

[quote=jwall]

A . My thread on 40 S W AMMO is in this forum from last month. I'll not repeat what I reported.

B. I was basically out of shooting handguns MUCH until I got my 40 in Feb. I still have a S W 6906 and it ain't going no where!
I don't know about the weight of other 40s so I have no comment.

I shot my 40 off hand the first day or so and did NOT notice much recoil. WHEN I put both the M P 40 & 6906 on
my Pistolero I noticed the 40 had 'more' muzzle jump --> NOT terrible.

I'll repeat just this:
I shot Double Tap & Triple Tap with the 40 at 15 steps at a firewood block and a 12"x12" metal plate -- NO misses.

Now, I carry my 40 more than the 9mill

---------------------------------------

ADDED

In my MP 40 the 40 SW recoil is mild. Anyone who isn't timid could handle it.

Jerry
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/19/20
jwall, i'll tell you what I found snappy, a buddy has a little Sig P239 in 357 Sig, the tiny grip you can only get two fingers on is a little fist full of dynamite when you touch one off ; ]
Originally Posted by gunner500
jwall, i'll tell you what I found snappy, a buddy has a little Sig P239 in 357 Sig, the tiny grip you can only get two fingers on is a little fist full of dynamite when you touch one off ; ]

I had a P239 back in the 1990s. Carried it for a while. Yeah, it recoiled pretty hard. Lots of flash and blast, too.
Posted By: jwall Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/20/20
gunner

The snappiest handgun I've had was a 19 with 2 1/2" bll with 357 Mag loads.

I've had 44s with either 6" or 7 1/2" blls. and they were stouter but that snubby 19 was the snappiest.

Jerry
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/20/20
Originally Posted by jwall
gunner

I've had 44s with either 6" or 7 1/2" blls. and they were stouter but that snubby 19 was the snappiest.

Jerry

I gotta agree here. I just sold my S&W M19 snub, as my Glock 23 with 165's was pretty much matching it.
And the Glock is a lot more comfortable to shoot.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/20/20
Originally Posted by dla

Not necessarily. I had a Glock 22 that wasn't as controllable as my friends Springfield XD 45 auto.
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by dla

Not necessarily. I had a Glock 22 that wasn't as controllable as my friends Springfield XD 45 auto.

Yep. My Glock 30 (.45 ACP) is much easier to control under recoil than my Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Posted By: dla Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/20/20
And I had a jeep that wasnt as easy to drive as my Corolla.
P_ssies and f_cktards complain about 40sw recoil.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/20/20
This is getting seriously funny. Keep it up. How about a subsquabble of "define your terms"?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/20/20
Good thread. I do agree the 40 is snappier than a comparable 9mm. I dont think anyone here is contesting that. Am i faster with a 9mm? Yes, but only by a very small margin. And no, im not a "professional" pistol shooter. The 40 is very manageable, especially the full sized models that i pictured in a previous post.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/20/20
Originally Posted by dla

I have zero problem handling a .40. Just my observations of issues related to it. I find .45 ACP to not have those issues to nearly the same degree as .40.

TRH, Nevermind that moron. If that fugkwad ever had anything positive to say, he'd get knighted.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/20/20
I don't really like the 40.
The snappy recoil is why.
Have only shot a few, most light, the Sigs-not so much.
Don't think I have ever shot any 45's except 1911s.
And they are soft. My wife and preteen/teenage daughters like
the 1911.

It's not painful or even a big deal. Just annoying.

Well, my buddies G27 is painful. Somehow the corner of the grip
rolls across a nerve in my thumb joint, creating an electric shock
sensation that goes to the elbow. Weird. I hate that gun.

Warm loads from the 4 5/8" 45 Blackhawks are much more pleasant.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/20/20
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I don't really like the 40.
The snappy recoil is why.
Have only shot a few, most light, the Sigs-not so much.
Don't think I have ever shot any 45's except 1911s.
And they are soft. My wife and preteen/teenage daughters like
the 1911.

It's not painful or even a big deal. Just annoying.

Well, my buddies G27 is painful. Somehow the corner of the grip
rolls across a nerve in my thumb joint, creating an electric shock
sensation that goes to the elbow. Weird. I hate that gun.

Warm loads from the 4 5/8" 45 Blackhawks are much more pleasant.

Try the S&W Shield in .40. About the dumbest design in a pistol I've ever shot.

I have no problem with a G22 or G23 sized gun, if that's the caliber you like.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/20/20
Originally Posted by dla
And I had a jeep that wasnt as easy to drive as my Corolla.
P_ssies and f_cktards complain about 40sw recoil.

Dick lick a$$hole is being himself.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/20/20

I had a P239 back in the 1990s. Carried it for a while. Yeah, it recoiled pretty hard. Lots of flash and blast, too.

You can say BLAST again, that little banger was about like getting hit in the face with a straw broom, it was indeed a handful, it was/is his ankle gun, he had a full size Sig in 357 in a cross draw rig.
Originally Posted by WTM45
gunner

Jerry

I gotta agree here. I just sold my S&W M19 snub, as my Glock 23 with 165's was pretty much matching it.

I've heard stories about snubs and airweight? 357 mags Men, have never had the pleasure ; ]
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Good thread. I do agree the 40 is snappier than a comparable 9mm. I dont think anyone here is contesting that. Am i faster with a 9mm? Yes, but only by a very small margin. And no, im not a "professional" pistol shooter. The 40 is very manageable, especially the full sized models that i pictured in a previous post.

My 40 is a big pig of a tac-ops P226 BSA, all BS aside, it with 200gr bullets at 1050 fps are indeed like shooting a 45 ACP, big slow recoil that's very manageable, a real contrast to 140gr Barnes HP's at max speed, BTW, those 200's at that sedate speed penetrate like no other standard cup and core HP bullets I've ever tested here at the house in my homemade media boxes, a massive eye opener.
You want to talk painful recoil in a handgun? I once took my S&W 329 PD along as bear defense during an elk hunt in northern Idaho. I had it loaded up with a bear load, heavy for caliber, hard cast lead, and hot. I can't remember what brand. Hadn't tried it, but assumed it would be painful, but that I wouldn't care if I needed to use it on a bear. Well, at my Idaho friend's house he set up a target on his property, and we both made sure our rifles were sighted in, especially mine after the flight over there. Rifles were fine. Then he brings out his huge S&W .500 Magnum that he was planning on bringing for bear defense. He fired it. He said it was painful, and offered to let me try. Yeah, it had recoil, but not painful. Then I pulled out my S&W 329 PD loaded for bear. This is a scandium .44 Magnum. I had to keep my man card, so I had to shoot the cylinder full at the target. I think it was the sixth round that fractured a bone in my wrist. That thing kicks more than any gun I've ever shot, or care to ever shoot. That was the last time I even fired Magnums out of it. I now consider it a .44 Special revolver. \

He fired one round out of it and admitted it made his .500 Magnum seem like a pussycat.
gunner

I've heard stories about snubs and airweight? 357 mags Men, have never had the pleasure ; ]

gunner -

I kept the 19 snubby for a while as CC. I got a kick (no pun) outta shootin it.
I traded it off to get ?something? else I wanted.

Jerry
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/20/20
I have one 40 S&w. It’s a H&K. USP . I bought it just before Clinton’s hi cap magazine ban. It’s full size and pretty snappy with heavy loads. More felt recoil than my CCO Model 45acp. Hasbeen
Gunner500,
I've owned two M19's and a M66, all in round butt snub config. Owned longer tube models too.
Chrono results with various loadings did disappoint from the snubs. .357 Magnum was what it was built for, so that's what I used.
Got .38's for .38's.
Tried various grips, with a wrap around Pach being best on the round butt frame.
Still, way more blast and recoil than necessary, especially in indoor shoots.
And a M60 in .357M I once owned was a stupid attempt on my part to increase CCW power. Fail.

The G23 gobbles up anything I feed it, and I have yet to be disappointed in the results. Started using it in bowling pin matches in early '90's and it has proven itself. Times and splits not any different than other shooter's.
From a G35, it is something to behold.

Posted By: SargeMO Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/20/20
Some years ago I chronographed two 357 Magnum JHP loads, CCI Blazer 125 grain and Federal 125 grain, from a 2 1/4" Ruger SP-101. Both were good for 1300 fps +/- 5, from that particular gun. I carried the well established Federal load and the biggest problem I had was that my wife kept shooting me out of it. If anything proved an annoyance to her garden or pets she would grab that Ruger and send the offending varmint to its eternity. I watched her kill a groundhog with it that was 'scaring her poor little Rottie' with a headshot at 10-12 paces; and the relocation of its eyeballs left little question the bullet had expanded.
Sarge, ^^^^^^^^^

That's funny in a GOOD way. I don't know where you live and I DON'T want her shooting at me. shocked
grin grin

Jerry
You want to talk painful recoil in a handgun? I once took my S&W 329 PD along as bear defense during an elk hunt in northern Idaho. I had it loaded up with a bear load, heavy for caliber, hard cast lead, and hot. I can't remember what brand. Hadn't tried it, but assumed it would be painful, but that I wouldn't care if I needed to use it on a bear. Well, at my Idaho friend's house he set up a target on his property, and we both made sure our rifles were sighted in, especially mine after the flight over there. Rifles were fine. Then he brings out his huge S&W .500 Magnum that he was planning on bringing for bear defense. He fired it. He said it was painful, and offered to let me try. Yeah, it had recoil, but not painful. Then I pulled out my S&W 329 PD loaded for bear. This is a scandium .44 Magnum. I had to keep my man card, so I had to shoot the cylinder full at the target. I think it was the sixth round that fractured a bone in my wrist. That thing kicks more than any gun I've ever shot, or care to ever shoot. That was the last time I even fired Magnums out of it. I now consider it a .44 Special revolver. \

He fired one round out of it and admitted it made his .500 Magnum seem like a pussycat.

LOL, Damn, hope the broken bone didn't hamper your hunt.
gunner

gunner -

Jerry

Bet you had some fun with it around newbies ; ]
Gunner500,
I've owned two M19's and a M66, all in round butt snub config. Owned longer tube models too.
Chrono results with various loadings did disappoint from the snubs. .357 Magnum was what it was built for, so that's what I used.
Got .38's for .38's.
Tried various grips, with a wrap around Pach being best on the round butt frame.
Still, way more blast and recoil than necessary, especially in indoor shoots.
And a M60 in .357M I once owned was a stupid attempt on my part to increase CCW power. Fail.

The G23 gobbles up anything I feed it, and I have yet to be disappointed in the results. Started using it in bowling pin matches in early '90's and it has proven itself. Times and splits not any different than other shooter's.
From a G35, it is something to behold.

Nice, my 8-3/8ths inch barreled big n frame 357 mag is a pussycat, save a little blast, I load the 158 hard casts up to an easy 1400 fps.
I let a 586 long tube go 30 years ago, and regret it.
But my old 6" Python is stayin' as long as I am upright and sane!
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/20/20
Need? I never let need control my firearm purchases. I carried an M&P .40 in uniform, and a Glock 27 in a covert assignment for 12 of my 33 yeas of service. Total faith in both. Get ya one if your gut tells ya!

Ron
Posted By: jwall Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/21/20
[quote=jwall][quote=gunner500]

-------------------------------

Let's just put it this way. The 19 snubby 357 M , AIN'T for the UNwashed or the TIMID. whistle

One guy shot it ONCE and I think if it had been a semi, he'd shot 2 or 3 into the SKY ! laugh

Jerry
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/21/20

gunner, That's why I don't like the g26, g27, g29, or Shield.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

The G26 is a sweetheart to shoot, even if you use the flush mags. Not in the same category. If not having a place for your pinky bothers you, you can get mags from Glock already equipped with a pinky support that gives you two extra rounds.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/21/20

The G26 is a sweetheart to shoot, even if you use the flush mags. Not in the same category. If not having a place for your pinky bothers you, you can get mags from Glock already equipped with a pinky support that gives you two extra rounds.

Just flat-ass don't care for them. Like my 365 XL just fine.

To each their own.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/21/20
I let a 586 long tube go 30 years ago, and regret it.
But my old 6" Python is stayin' as long as I am upright and sane!

LOL, something dang peculiar about 30 years ago, about the time I traded a 4" blue Python for iir the model correctly a Colt SP-1 and 700 rounds of ammo! crazy

Let's just put it this way. The 19 snubby 357 M , AIN'T for the UNwashed or the TIMID. whistle

One guy shot it ONCE and I think if it had been a semi, he'd shot 2 or 3 into the SKY ! laugh

Jerry

10-4, guns are like sex, it aint spose to hurt us! ; ]

Never had the pleasure with those four LD.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/22/20

At least two.

Seriously, I carried a single stack 1911 forever in 45 ACP. It was mostly my console gun for my 108 mile round trip daily commute. Finally decided that since I wasn’t packing the gun on my person that I might as well have more capacity. So, I bought an S&W Shield with 15 round mag’s. Then came an exquisite CZ 75 from Sako706 here on the fire. Could not say no to that. That’s why I have two.

Aint complaining.
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/22/20

Jerry

Some like it rough, or so I hear.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/22/20

LOL, Damn, hope the broken bone didn't hamper your hunt.

I have a Smith 357PD and, with full-house .41 magnum loads it is not much fun to shoot. I wouldn't, however, say it makes my .500 S&W, also with full-house loads, "seem like a pussycat." They are both fairly unpleasant revolvers to shoot, but unpleasant in a somewhat different way. I seldom shoot more than a cylinder full of either at one time without a little break.

Oh yeah, this is a .40 S&W thread. Well, I'm down to one .40 now, a Springfield P9 (Tanfoglio CZ75 clone.) Had a Beretta 96 of my son's for a while, while he was deployed, it was a good shooter. I also had a S&W Sigma in .40 when they first came out. That was a dog and is one of the few guns I've ever gotten rid of. For whatever reason, I just couldn't warm up to it.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/22/20
Any idea what a gently used gen 2 g27 is worth?
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/22/20
Originally Posted by Mac84
Any idea what a gently used gen 2 g27 is worth?

Probably about $350
Posted By: jwall Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/22/20

Jerry

gunner - I've ONLY had 1 gun (rifle) that actually hurt to shoot. That was a Ruger 77 tanger ( OG ) in 338 WM.
It did NOT take up space long at my house ! !!

Understand that I jumped off the DEEP end with my FIRST handgun -- 44 RM, Ruger S B H K.

The 19 snubby really did NOT hurt. It jumped and torqued but no pain for me. Like I said earlier....I like shooting it.

They guy who was SURPRISED so much was a novice. He held it but NOT expecting that muzzle jump had not GRIPPED
it enuff.

Jerry
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/23/20
I prefer to rephrase the question to: Is there any reason to NOT own an S&W 40? To that I must say NO. Especially at the prices CNN are offering the M&P 40 for. 3 models at under $300 each. Think about it.
Posted By: viking Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/23/20
Yesterday we went to sportsman’s warehouse in Williston. I snagged about the last two boxes of 40’s (limit 2). Everything else was pretty much gone. I also was able to snag 2 boxes of Tula 223.
Posted By: jwall Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/23/20
DING it ! I planned to check with my local gs and see or get some more S B 40 SW. Forgot.

Tomorrow, maybe it's not too late. Not out anyway.

Jerry
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/24/20

Jerry

gunner - I've ONLY had 1 gun (rifle) that actually hurt to shoot. That was a Ruger 77 tanger ( OG ) in 338 WM.
It did NOT take up space long at my house ! !!

Understand that I jumped off the DEEP end with my FIRST handgun -- 44 RM, Ruger S B H K.

The 19 snubby really did NOT hurt. It jumped and torqued but no pain for me. Like I said earlier....I like shooting it.

They guy who was SURPRISED so much was a novice. He held it but NOT expecting that muzzle jump had not GRIPPED
it enuff.

Jerry

LOL, ten-fo jwall, speaking of forgot to grab ammo or reloading, I took a good look around the shop today, came to the conclusion I have enough powder, brass, primers and bullets to load 8hrs a day 5 days a week till Christmas, two week quarantine my hiney crack! it's all good in the hood neighbor! cool
Posted By: jwall Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/27/20
DING it ! I planned to check with my local gs and see or get some more S B 40 SW. Forgot.

Tomorrow, maybe it's not too late. Not out anyway.

I finally got to the LGS today.
Check out the Floor Mat... LOL

There was NO 9 mil....

You OUGHT to have a 40 SW, there is an advantage.

I was NOT out of 40 so I ONLY bought 1 box of Aguila 180 FMJ
Left ALL the rest for others.

Jerry
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/27/20
LOL, love the floor mat, but I'd nail that sombitch to the wall, if you load for the 9mm you can buy some Magtech brass at Brownells, I just ordered a chit ton last week.
I like that mat.
Posted By: jwall Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/27/20
I'd like to have it in the REAR window of my truck !!
Posted By: smallfry Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/28/20
It’s hilarious how people endlessly talk about the 40 s&w recoil. There isn’t a firearm/cartridge that my times and cadence isn’t different.
Posted By: dla Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/28/20
Originally Posted by smallfry
It’s hilarious how people endlessly talk about the 40 s&w recoil. There isn’t a firearm/cartridge that my times and cadence isn’t different.

Same for me. But there are a lot of metro manginas out there that seem to bothered.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/28/20
Originally Posted by dla

Same for me. But there are a lot of metro manginas out there that seem to bothered.

Cool.
Take some video of, for example, El Presidente shooting similar handguns in .45 and 9mm.
Posted By: smallfry Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/28/20
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by dla

Cool.
Take some video of, for example, El Presidente shooting similar handguns in .45 and 9mm.

Exactly my point. If you own more than one handgun, you will have different times. I am slow out with my 21 but it doesn’t matter to me, I like owning multiple cartridges. I shoot slower with my 23 than my 19. It’s almost like people own only one gun/cartridge. Want another cartridge? You better be faster with it than what you already have, and if you are you better get rid of your other gun. hilarious conversation about how astonished people are that things can be different and yet you can accept them both! lol
Posted By: Redhill Re: Do I need a 40 S&W? - 03/28/20

I love the .40 S&W round.

I have a good number of them and find them accurate and great to shoot. I currently CC with a Shield 40 in a Scorpion tactical kydex holster. Love the way that gun shoots and carries. Slim and light and very easy to move around with. It is loaded with Federal HST 180g. Recoil is not significant for me.

If someone is a reloader the range of mild to wild loadings makes this caliber very flexible for performance and recoil management if needed. There are also factory loading out there that cover the range of performance and recoil generation. My reloading recipes for the 40 all seem to be on the warmer end and I've come up with some that are on a par with some of the standard 10mm loads.

With the LEO used Glocks in .40 available I would be and was a buyer of a couple of them. One was OK for "holster wear" and the other not so much for "road rash wear" that ended up getting Cerrakoted. Prices are great on these especially the G22 at $270-300 when available. Definitely would buy one again.
© 24hourcampfire