Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

colodog, Do you “need” one, probably not! But, it’s a darn good cartridge, and we have several lying around here somewhere.... along with other handgun cartridge variations. It just plain makes since to diversify! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/16/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
FWIW - I checked on Ammo on Friday. Before the panic really set in.

9mm was the only one missing from the shelf. Copious amounts of 45ACP and 40 SW plus typical revolver ammo available.

Multiple options in a compressed supply chain isnt a bad thing.

Me

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by colodog
I've been seeing some good prices on 40 S&W handguns and ammo and I'm wondering if I need one..
It seems a bunch of shooters are losing interest in it but I'm still wondering.

If I was following true 'campfire routine I'd buy ammo and find a gun to fit it..

What's your view of a 40 and do I need one or two?

The prices on quality pistols is hard to beat. I picked up a new M&P40 2.0 Compact for $299. Nicer than a G23 IMO.
If you don't shoot much, the price of ammo ($13/50) isnt an issue. If you reload then ammo cost is a nit.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by SargeMO

Did you write that?

Yes Sir, Sixgun Journal is mine. And thank you JWP.

Good blog!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
interesting about the Remington FMJ ammo flattening out and expanding

I always liked the 40 because of the cheap flat nosed ammo , but looks like it is even better than I thought

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
interesting about the Remington FMJ ammo flattening out and expanding

I always liked the 40 because of the cheap flat nosed ammo , but looks like it is even better than I thought

Thank you all for the kind comments on the blog. Need to get off my ass and get a few new articles up.

On the UMC/FMJ- I wouldn't call that 'riveting' consistent or repeatable on demand. I have seen this occasionally, during informal testing, with both Remington's older copper colored jacket and this more recent brass colored jacket they're using. Truthfully, it would take a lot of closely- controlled testing to even get an idea of what resistance is required for this to occur.. I am not inclined to undertake it. One should also remember this is a price point load and Rem/UMC may make changes (such as a plated bullet instead of jacketed one) to stay competitive.

If I was inclined to carry a 40 FMJ load, I would still select UMC. An old adage applied here. Expect the worst and anything else becomes a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by SargeMO; 03/16/20.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by teal

Multiple options in a compressed supply chain isnt a bad thing.

Absolutely correct.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, it's a fine cartridge, a Bud gave me 1000 of the double cannelured 180gr HST's to shoot in my P226, that said, I'm still going to look for a 357 Sig barrel for it.

Trump Won!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I thoroughly enjoy shooting my 40. It is a Canadian made Para 16/40 1911 that someone had tweaked (Bomar sight, fitted barrel bushing and link, great trigger, etc.). I bought it at a pawn shop in 2000. It is easy to shoot well and is dead reliable once I tweaked the magazines to fit high and tight. I also fitted a 10 mm Bar Sto barrel and bushing though I have yet to fire that combo. Buy one.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My favorite .40 is a Kimber Stainless Gold Match, an original, no firing pin block, that I have owned and shot for more than 20 years. It runs like a sewing machine and has shot many a USPSA and IDPA match.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

IC B3

C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for the replies and information and Sarge, Thanks for the article! Well written and helpful.
I was considering a compact Baby Eagle but will likely go with a Tanfoglio Witness. I like their 9mm and another from the same litter makes sense to me.
Natchez has PMC Starfire for $5 and change a box so i'll stock up a bit on several brands to see what it likes.

Thanks again!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like my springer EMP 40......

C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Hey Huntsman, Thanks for the reminder! I like the EMP as well.. I'll have to see what's available here locally but will likely order in exactly what I want.
Shopping options are a little different in my new neighborhood than what I'd gotten used to in Denver...

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Just picked up a LEO tradein P226 and P229 40 from CDNN. They were brand new... couldn't believe those were going for less than $500.

Last edited by wayno945; 03/17/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's really nothing wrong with the 40, & I own 2 & they do get used frequently, a G23 as a car gun & a G27 as coat pocket gun for short trips with a big jacket with pockets.

However, with all due respect, that article by Sarge was a little prior to all the newer / better versions of 9mm.

And to say with a straight face that many women have no issues with it, is somewhat misleading as I'm reasonably sure that that is some significant multiple of the women who cannot, & never do & never will successfully adapt to the 40 as compared to the number of ones that do.

And most any Gluck dealer will tell you straight out that the G27 is the most traded in pistol on the market......................

So again, nothing wrong with it, & there really are some good buys on guns in 40, but in the same gun vs a 9mm, the 40 is very noticeably snappier to shoot & control with any kind of speed than a 9; anybody that denies that is either in a state of mental denial or simply not being truthful...................except for the macho hee-roes; prolly Elmer woulda liked a G27 just fine. wink

MM

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
There's really nothing wrong with the 40, & I own 2 & they do get used frequently, a G23 as a car gun & a G27 as coat pocket gun for short trips with a big jacket with pockets.

However, with all due respect, that article by Sarge was a little prior to all the newer / better versions of 9mm.

And to say with a straight face that many women have no issues with it, is somewhat misleading as I'm reasonably sure that that is some significant multiple of the women who cannot, & never do & never will successfully adapt to the 40 as compared to the number of ones that do.

And most any Gluck dealer will tell you straight out that the G27 is the most traded in pistol on the market......................

So again, nothing wrong with it, & there really are some good buys on guns in 40, but in the same gun vs a 9mm, the 40 is very noticeably snappier to shoot & control with any kind of speed than a 9; anybody that denies that is either in a state of mental denial or simply not being truthful...................except for the macho hee-roes; prolly Elmer woulda liked a G27 just fine. wink

MM

I have to agree with you.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

MM

I have to agree with you.

The snappiness of the .40 S&W does slow repeat shots for me vs my 9mm Glocks, and requires more concentration on keeping a tight two-handed grip on the gun to avoid the need to reacquire a proper grip round to round.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Right now, anyone who's out of ammo needs a .40, because there's no 9mm in stock.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It would really suck to be in that predicament............................. eek

MM

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm not disagreeing - more of an addition. 'Noticeably snappier' is only fair if the pistols being compared are similar in size/weight. The last time I owned a .40 S&W it was a Hi-Power - a cream puff. Yep, it kicked more than a 9mm Hi-Power, but less than a 25 oz 9mm.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,231 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,011
Posts18,500,238
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.