Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

The snappiness of the .40 S&W does slow repeat shots for me vs my 9mm Glocks, and requires more concentration on keeping a tight two-handed grip on the gun to avoid the need to reacquire a proper grip round to round.

Pull on your big girl panties and deal with it.
Honestly, if you can't handle the 40sw, you can't handle the 45acp.

Not necessarily. I had a Glock 22 that wasn't as controllable as my friends Springfield XD 45 auto.

Yep. My Glock 30 (.45 ACP) is much easier to control under recoil than my Glock 22 (.40 S&W)

GB1

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
And I had a jeep that wasnt as easy to drive as my Corolla.
P_ssies and f_cktards complain about 40sw recoil.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is getting seriously funny. Keep it up. How about a subsquabble of "define your terms"?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good thread. I do agree the 40 is snappier than a comparable 9mm. I dont think anyone here is contesting that. Am i faster with a 9mm? Yes, but only by a very small margin. And no, im not a "professional" pistol shooter. The 40 is very manageable, especially the full sized models that i pictured in a previous post.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dla

The snappiness of the .40 S&W does slow repeat shots for me vs my 9mm Glocks, and requires more concentration on keeping a tight two-handed grip on the gun to avoid the need to reacquire a proper grip round to round.

Pull on your big girl panties and deal with it.
Honestly, if you can't handle the 40sw, you can't handle the 45acp.

I have zero problem handling a .40. Just my observations of issues related to it. I find .45 ACP to not have those issues to nearly the same degree as .40.

TRH, Nevermind that moron. If that fugkwad ever had anything positive to say, he'd get knighted.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't really like the 40.
The snappy recoil is why.
Have only shot a few, most light, the Sigs-not so much.
Don't think I have ever shot any 45's except 1911s.
And they are soft. My wife and preteen/teenage daughters like
the 1911.

It's not painful or even a big deal. Just annoying.

Well, my buddies G27 is painful. Somehow the corner of the grip
rolls across a nerve in my thumb joint, creating an electric shock
sensation that goes to the elbow. Weird. I hate that gun.

Warm loads from the 4 5/8" 45 Blackhawks are much more pleasant.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I don't really like the 40.
The snappy recoil is why.
Have only shot a few, most light, the Sigs-not so much.
Don't think I have ever shot any 45's except 1911s.
And they are soft. My wife and preteen/teenage daughters like
the 1911.

It's not painful or even a big deal. Just annoying.

Well, my buddies G27 is painful. Somehow the corner of the grip
rolls across a nerve in my thumb joint, creating an electric shock
sensation that goes to the elbow. Weird. I hate that gun.

Warm loads from the 4 5/8" 45 Blackhawks are much more pleasant.

Try the S&W Shield in .40. About the dumbest design in a pistol I've ever shot.

I have no problem with a G22 or G23 sized gun, if that's the caliber you like.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla
And I had a jeep that wasnt as easy to drive as my Corolla.
P_ssies and f_cktards complain about 40sw recoil.

Dick lick a$$hole is being himself.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500
jwall, i'll tell you what I found snappy, a buddy has a little Sig P239 in 357 Sig, the tiny grip you can only get two fingers on is a little fist full of dynamite when you touch one off ; ]

I had a P239 back in the 1990s. Carried it for a while. Yeah, it recoiled pretty hard. Lots of flash and blast, too.

You can say BLAST again, that little banger was about like getting hit in the face with a straw broom, it was indeed a handful, it was/is his ankle gun, he had a full size Sig in 357 in a cross draw rig.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by WTM45
Originally Posted by jwall
gunner

The snappiest handgun I've had was a 19 with 2 1/2" bll with 357 Mag loads.

I've had 44s with either 6" or 7 1/2" blls. and they were stouter but that snubby 19 was the snappiest.

Jerry

I gotta agree here. I just sold my S&W M19 snub, as my Glock 23 with 165's was pretty much matching it.
And the Glock is a lot more comfortable to shoot.

I've heard stories about snubs and airweight? 357 mags Men, have never had the pleasure ; ]

Trump Won!
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Good thread. I do agree the 40 is snappier than a comparable 9mm. I dont think anyone here is contesting that. Am i faster with a 9mm? Yes, but only by a very small margin. And no, im not a "professional" pistol shooter. The 40 is very manageable, especially the full sized models that i pictured in a previous post.

My 40 is a big pig of a tac-ops P226 BSA, all BS aside, it with 200gr bullets at 1050 fps are indeed like shooting a 45 ACP, big slow recoil that's very manageable, a real contrast to 140gr Barnes HP's at max speed, BTW, those 200's at that sedate speed penetrate like no other standard cup and core HP bullets I've ever tested here at the house in my homemade media boxes, a massive eye opener.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You want to talk painful recoil in a handgun? I once took my S&W 329 PD along as bear defense during an elk hunt in northern Idaho. I had it loaded up with a bear load, heavy for caliber, hard cast lead, and hot. I can't remember what brand. Hadn't tried it, but assumed it would be painful, but that I wouldn't care if I needed to use it on a bear. Well, at my Idaho friend's house he set up a target on his property, and we both made sure our rifles were sighted in, especially mine after the flight over there. Rifles were fine. Then he brings out his huge S&W .500 Magnum that he was planning on bringing for bear defense. He fired it. He said it was painful, and offered to let me try. Yeah, it had recoil, but not painful. Then I pulled out my S&W 329 PD loaded for bear. This is a scandium .44 Magnum. I had to keep my man card, so I had to shoot the cylinder full at the target. I think it was the sixth round that fractured a bone in my wrist. That thing kicks more than any gun I've ever shot, or care to ever shoot. That was the last time I even fired Magnums out of it. I now consider it a .44 Special revolver. \

He fired one round out of it and admitted it made his .500 Magnum seem like a pussycat.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
gunner

I gotta agree here. I just sold my S&W M19 snub, as my Glock 23 with 165's was pretty much matching it.

I've heard stories about snubs and airweight? 357 mags Men, have never had the pleasure ; ]

gunner -

I kept the 19 snubby for a while as CC. I got a kick (no pun) outta shootin it.
I traded it off to get ?something? else I wanted.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one 40 S&w. It’s a H&K. USP . I bought it just before Clinton’s hi cap magazine ban. It’s full size and pretty snappy with heavy loads. More felt recoil than my CCO Model 45acp. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Gunner500,
I've owned two M19's and a M66, all in round butt snub config. Owned longer tube models too.
Chrono results with various loadings did disappoint from the snubs. .357 Magnum was what it was built for, so that's what I used.
Got .38's for .38's.
Tried various grips, with a wrap around Pach being best on the round butt frame.
Still, way more blast and recoil than necessary, especially in indoor shoots.
And a M60 in .357M I once owned was a stupid attempt on my part to increase CCW power. Fail.

The G23 gobbles up anything I feed it, and I have yet to be disappointed in the results. Started using it in bowling pin matches in early '90's and it has proven itself. Times and splits not any different than other shooter's.
From a G35, it is something to behold.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some years ago I chronographed two 357 Magnum JHP loads, CCI Blazer 125 grain and Federal 125 grain, from a 2 1/4" Ruger SP-101. Both were good for 1300 fps +/- 5, from that particular gun. I carried the well established Federal load and the biggest problem I had was that my wife kept shooting me out of it. If anything proved an annoyance to her garden or pets she would grab that Ruger and send the offending varmint to its eternity. I watched her kill a groundhog with it that was 'scaring her poor little Rottie' with a headshot at 10-12 paces; and the relocation of its eyeballs left little question the bullet had expanded.

Last edited by SargeMO; 03/20/20.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sarge, ^^^^^^^^^

That's funny in a GOOD way. I don't know where you live and I DON'T want her shooting at me. shocked
grin grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You want to talk painful recoil in a handgun? I once took my S&W 329 PD along as bear defense during an elk hunt in northern Idaho. I had it loaded up with a bear load, heavy for caliber, hard cast lead, and hot. I can't remember what brand. Hadn't tried it, but assumed it would be painful, but that I wouldn't care if I needed to use it on a bear. Well, at my Idaho friend's house he set up a target on his property, and we both made sure our rifles were sighted in, especially mine after the flight over there. Rifles were fine. Then he brings out his huge S&W .500 Magnum that he was planning on bringing for bear defense. He fired it. He said it was painful, and offered to let me try. Yeah, it had recoil, but not painful. Then I pulled out my S&W 329 PD loaded for bear. This is a scandium .44 Magnum. I had to keep my man card, so I had to shoot the cylinder full at the target. I think it was the sixth round that fractured a bone in my wrist. That thing kicks more than any gun I've ever shot, or care to ever shoot. That was the last time I even fired Magnums out of it. I now consider it a .44 Special revolver. \

He fired one round out of it and admitted it made his .500 Magnum seem like a pussycat.

LOL, Damn, hope the broken bone didn't hamper your hunt.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
gunner

gunner -

I kept the 19 snubby for a while as CC. I got a kick (no pun) outta shootin it.
I traded it off to get ?something? else I wanted.

Jerry

Bet you had some fun with it around newbies ; ]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Gunner500,
I've owned two M19's and a M66, all in round butt snub config. Owned longer tube models too.
Chrono results with various loadings did disappoint from the snubs. .357 Magnum was what it was built for, so that's what I used.
Got .38's for .38's.
Tried various grips, with a wrap around Pach being best on the round butt frame.
Still, way more blast and recoil than necessary, especially in indoor shoots.
And a M60 in .357M I once owned was a stupid attempt on my part to increase CCW power. Fail.

The G23 gobbles up anything I feed it, and I have yet to be disappointed in the results. Started using it in bowling pin matches in early '90's and it has proven itself. Times and splits not any different than other shooter's.
From a G35, it is something to behold.

Nice, my 8-3/8ths inch barreled big n frame 357 mag is a pussycat, save a little blast, I load the 158 hard casts up to an easy 1400 fps.

Trump Won!
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 22250rem, 1badf350, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,947
Posts18,519,179
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.