Home
Posted By: 358wsm How crappy are the B&C stocks.? - 06/22/20

I might be thinking of getting something for an old Browning A-bort that I've got laying around.

What's the deal with B,C.?
And/or some other inexpensive replacement stock.?
They are a little clubby(some models) but they absolutely stand behind their product.
I have a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock on my JC Higgins model 50 ( FN 98 action) 30-06. I am very happy with it. Perfect eye alignment (comb height) for scope use. Nice aluminum bedding area. Nice recoil pad. Nice build quality, and "feel" in my hands. Buttstock does not have a hollow feel. The pistol grip area feels trim and svelte to me, not clunky at all. Maybe the Medalist has different (trimmer) proportions than other models. (?).

I would not call a B&C Medalist stock "crappy" in any way. It is a well-made product, and looks good. Bought mine from stocky's stocks. I wouldn't call it a "cheap " stock. I think it was about $225 ~10 years ago. I was looking for a high-value synthetic stock, and I found it with the B&C Medalist stock.
Ive got four of their Alaskans...obviously dont consider them crappy...
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
They are a little clubby(some models) but they absolutely stand behind their product.

Same experience as noted by OE.

They’re a good stock, just a smidge on the big girl side.

😎
I have a few of them with the aluminum bedding block / frame, and a few McMillans and H-S Pecision.

I have no issue buying more Bell & Carlson. I like the ones on my rifles.

Well, that's all quite positive... other than being a bit chunky sounds like a solution.

Thanks gentlemen.

Originally Posted by ingwe
Ive got four of their Alaskans...obviously dont consider them crappy...

Me too.
I ordered one yesterday for an Abolt I inherited from my father. They make a good product. This is my third stock from them.
I only have one customer service related incident dealing with B&C. I purchased a weatherby ultralight built in 2000 a few months back. that was not bedded at the lug by Weatherby.
I bedded it and not knowing my superhuman strength cracked the stock ahead of the recoil lug. I called B&C and explained what happened and they told me to send it in. I had a new replacement in 5 days as well as a handwritten note from the CEO of B&C thanking me for my honesty.

That is customer service.
I've found them to be a good solid stock, not much lighter than factory wood but no issues whatsoever.

If you want a lighter stock, you have to pay a lot more but you won't be getting a better stock.
I think that B&C stocks are generally pretty good, but there aren't nearly as many options as those offered by McMillan.

I particularly like the Weatherby-style Medalist for the Howa 1500 and the now discontinued stock for the Mini Mauser.

The caveat being that stocks are probably the most personal component of a long gun, since it is the interface between the human and mechanical components. The point being that a stock configuration that one guy really likes might make the next guy gag.
I have had one since the late '80s. It has the moulded in swivels for the sling like the old Millet stocks had and came with the nylon super sling with no aluminum bedding block. A friend brought over a new one for me to mount his Husqvarna in. His was very much slimmer compared to mine and I was impressed with it but, the Husqvarna would not fit in it without major modification. The next day he contacted them and they said the stock was for a Zestava action and to send it back. Good customer service!
I don’t think there’s many options for the abolt. B&C is a nice upgrade for the money. I ordered one directly from them for a 700 yesterday
The Medalist with the aluminum chassis inside is a well made stock at a reasonable price. Because of the aluminum they are a little chunky and can't be made really light. They offer some versions in the 28-30 oz range which is pretty close to most factory stocks. Most of them are closer to 32-36 oz which is a bit heavier than factory. If putting together a rifle where weight isn't a concern, or if you have a rifle that you consider too light the heavier stock could be an advantage. I like them for certain uses.

They make some without the aluminum chassis. The original Ti stock and the Alaskan. They tend to be much little lighter and trimmer, but without the metal insert are a WEAK stock. They will snap like a dry match stick if used in harsh conditions. I'd rather stay with the factory Tupperware stock, they are a much tougher stock at about the same weight.

If you want light weight and a tough stock save your pennies and buy a McMillan Edge.
I just got my first one on a Model 7 stainless and it settles in the hands well for off hand shots and fits ME like a glove.

I will probably try McMillan in the future just because I like the McSwirly patterns, but I wouldn’t hesitate to run the B&C!
The one I ordered yesterday in the dark timber color, shipped today. It showed back ordered but a one day turn around is awesome.
I've put that alum bedded medalist on a weatherby and a howa. My next medalist will go on my tikka t3 lite LH ss.
I’m seriously considering one for a Ruger american 22-250
I’ve got several B&C stocks and think they are the perfect size and fit. I’ve had better luck with them than the overpriced and overhyped McMillan edge fill stock.

I’ll buy a B&C again before I’ll ever buy another McMillan.

What he says.

Originally Posted by SuperCub
I've found them to be a good solid stock, not much lighter than factory wood but no issues whatsoever.

If you want a lighter stock, you have to pay a lot more but you won't be getting a better stock.

I have three and they are a reasonable and reliable option for rugged or weather-plagued use. Keep the pretty walnut ones in the safe.
358wsm;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the day was an acceptable one for you and this finds you well.

In the past I've worked on at least 4 different B&C stocks, but if I'm not mistaken they were all the Carbelite models.

On two of them, one on a Howa/Weatherby and one Model 700, I ended up installing aluminum arrow shafts as pillars since they'd compress a wee bit if one got on the action screws with much force at all.

Once the pillars were installed, all was golden and in fact I got a range report from the 700 just yesterday where the owner was still extremely pleased about how well it was shooting all these years later.

The outer gel coat on them seemed to be quite robust compared to a couple other brands - for sure thicker than an early Chet Brown which admittedly was lighter.

Hopefully that was useful information for you or someone out there sir. All the best to you as we head into summer.

Dwayne
I bought a B&C from Stockys for my Tikka T3 X LH 300 WSM fits and looks great a little thick in wrist. I like it seems to soften the recoil better than factory synthetic stock.

They sound better than "good."

Does anyone have a photo that they could post of an A-Bolt nestled in a B&C.?
Originally Posted by BC30cal
358wsm;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the day was an acceptable one for you and this finds you well.

In the past I've worked on at least 4 different B&C stocks, but if I'm not mistaken they were all the Carbelite models.

On two of them, one on a Howa/Weatherby and one Model 700, I ended up installing aluminum arrow shafts as pillars since they'd compress a wee bit if one got on the action screws with much force at all.

Once the pillars were installed, all was golden and in fact I got a range report from the 700 just yesterday where the owner was still extremely pleased about how well it was shooting all these years later.

The outer gel coat on them seemed to be quite robust compared to a couple other brands - for sure thicker than an early Chet Brown which admittedly was lighter.

Hopefully that was useful information for you or someone out there sir. All the best to you as we head into summer.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

Always good to here from you,Sir.!

Thank you for the post and the information as I do find it helpful.
Originally Posted by 358wsm

They sound better than "good."

Does anyone have a photo that they could post of an A-Bolt nestled in a B&C.?

People in the past have spread disparaging myths
concerning the construction method of B&C,
Be careful not to buy into them.

I'm pickin up what you're layin down.

Thanks 'man
I own two of them and both are on my long range rifles...…..good stock for the money.
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
I’ve got several B&C stocks and think they are the perfect size and fit. I’ve had better luck with them than the overpriced and overhyped McMillan edge fill stock.

And...You'll be able to get it before Christmas.
Originally Posted by tzone

For a fraction of the price and from my experience, about the same weight as my edge filled McMillan.
Originally Posted by Starman
People in the past have spread disparaging myths
concerning the construction method of B&C,
Be careful not to buy into them.

B&C or mpi?

For a fraction of the price and from my experience, about the same weight as my edge filled McMillan.

The b&c ti takeoffs are definitely lighter than some of the recent edges I have received.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

B&C or mpi?

My memory tells me people have disparaged
both those brands.

The b&c ti takeoffs are definitely lighter than some of the recent edges I have received.

My example was with a brand new B&C Medalist.
I have two Alaskan TI on Remington 700’s. They fit me perfectly. I couldn’t be happier

Right. No argument. I agree with you.
The current b&c ultralights are reported to be about 28 oz. I haven’t weighed one.
The b&c ti takeoff is usually about 25-26 oz. I’ve weighed a bunch.
My most recent McMillan edge KS’s (essentially same pattern as ti takeoff) were just under 29 oz.
Angels on pinheads ... unless you are an ounce counter. 😳

Right. No argument. I agree with you.
The current b&c ultralights are reported to be about 28 oz. I haven’t weighed one.
The b&c ti takeoff is usually about 25-26 oz. I’ve weighed a bunch.
My most recent McMillan edge KS’s (essentially same pattern as ti takeoff) were just under 29 oz.
Angels on pinheads ... unless you are an ounce counter. 😳

My apologies, I didn’t mean for my response to come off as argumentative.

I was highly disappointed when I learned that I had waited for months only to get a McMillan that was about the same weight. Lesson learned and won’t be doing that again.
The only thing I can suggest as a negative about the B&C medalist stocks I've used is the finish. My hunting glove material can create a slick like grip when handling the rifle going in and out of a tree stand.

Ive been contemplating buying one for a Ruger American I bought my grandson. The stock is the only thing I don't like about the American but for the demographic these rifles were designed for it serves the purpose!!
To me too thick in the wrist. Shame they can't make the wrist in S, M, L.

g
The old Carbolight was a club. I like the new ones, but, the wrist is too chubby for me too. I have never seen/held one f the Alaskan models.
The Alaskan looks like its only in mountain rifle profile or magnum. Does any know if they make one a Remington standard sporter?
© 24hourcampfire