Home
Posted By: Xycod Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 07/01/20
Got a couple of quick questions, first off,..is the Wyoming guns any better or worse quality wise than previous makes? Number 2, does anyone know what barrel is being used on the 338 Lapua accumark and why is it the only one with a carbon(not stainless bbl). Thanks.
Posted By: iddave Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 07/01/20

A buddy of mine recently picked up one of the new Titanium rifles in .300 Weatherby. It was shipped to a local store and when he picked it up it looked like this. He contacted Weatherby (e-mail with photo) and they were less than helpful to say the least. They essentially told him to pound sand and take it up with the outfit he bought it from. When he asked about just paying them (Weatherby) to repair the recoil pad, they told him they were "backed up for months" and couldn't help.

It's just a recoil pad and any moderately skilled smith could likely replace it for under $100 I realize. Still, I am less than impressed with the entirely of how they handled it. I advised him to call back and keep chewing azz until someone at LEAST agreed to send a new factory recoil pad, but I haven't spoken to him since and don't know if he followed up again. Either way, any notion I might have had towards buying one (Ti) was cooled a bit.

Dave

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
That looks like a schitty recoil pad. I'd not want that on a rifle, regardless of whether it is "damaged.
Posted By: Judman Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 07/01/20
Brother Dave, for what you pay for one of those, there shouldn’t be a nick in the damn thing, let alone the pad looking like that. Wtf? How in the fuuck did that pass inspection?
Posted By: iddave Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 07/01/20
Originally Posted by Judman
Brother Dave, for what you pay for one of those, there shouldn’t be a nick in the damn thing, let alone the pad looking like that. Wtf? How in the fuuck did that pass inspection?

Couldn't agree more Jud. The whole thing mystifies me a bit honestly. Given the obscene price of the damn thing, I would have thought Weatherby would be clamoring to make it right. It's a cool gun and i REALLY love they moved their operation to WY, but at least in this case they still have some growing pains to work through i guess.

Dave
Posted By: Judman Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 07/01/20
Copy that neighbor jus got a ti in 6.5-300, shoots excellent, fit/finish are great too
Posted By: jdb Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 07/01/20
My neighbor won a 6.5/300 at the mule deer foundation banquet. The actual trigger was broken. He sent it back and it took MONTHS to return and when it did it had a huge scratch in the stock that wasn’t there previously
Posted By: Rossimp Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 07/01/20
For what you have to pay these days for a rifle like that it would be more beneficial to just do a build to your own specs. These Ti rifles list for $3K+. There are so many custom builders around in that price range I wouldn’t even consider the Wby. But that’s just me.
Posted By: Dre Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 07/01/20
Dave, I reached out to a friend and hope it helps
Posted By: wbyfan1 Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 07/02/20
Surprising.Sounds like an anomaly. Weatherby has always had fantastic customer service in my experience.
Posted By: Xycod Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 07/02/20
Originally Posted by wbyfan1
Surprising.Sounds like an anomaly. Weatherby has always had fantastic customer service in my experience.

Same, there’s a lady that works there, Teresa I think, she’s been beyond great as CS goes anytime I had issues.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 07/02/20
Carter Country in Houston usually has a good stock of Weatherby MK Vs in several models. And they back them up. I don't think that's a good case for online buying. Buy at a retail outlet.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 07/02/20
Originally Posted by Rossimp
For what you have to pay these days for a rifle like that it would be more beneficial to just do a build to your own specs. These Ti rifles list for $3K+. There are so many custom builders around in that price range I wouldn’t even consider the Wby. But that’s just me.

I was looking at a Laser Mark similar to mine and those damn things go for at least $3000 nowdays. I paid $1000 for mine used but not well used. It still looks new.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 07/02/20
A couple of dealers I know told me they are getting a lot of guns damaged in shipping lately, often broken through at the grip. My RAR's triggerguard was broken clean off.

No excuse for poor CS though.
Posted By: iddave Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 07/02/20
Originally Posted by Dre
Dave, I reached out to a friend and hope it helps

Appreciate that Dre. If anyone reaches out to me, I’ll put them in contact with Trent.

In fairness to Weatherby, it may very well have been a shipping issue. I’d still expect them to want to make it “right” in some way...though I guess that term is fairly subjective in nature.

Dave
Posted By: JohnT Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 07/02/20
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
That looks like a schitty recoil pad. I'd not want that on a rifle, regardless of whether it is "damaged.

Was interested in their Backcountry line as well. But agree with HuntnShoot that recoil pad is "schitty"! Imagine if you got mud in there. Take you a week to clean it out even if at all possible!

regards
JohnT
It's a design failure, probably melted during shipment . If that is not the case then their QC has gone to chitt. I'll keep buying Howa's and German guns .
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
It's a design failure, probably melted during shipment . If that is not the case then their QC has gone to chitt. I'll keep buying Howa's and German guns .

Looks like it got pinched by something which stretched it outward. Wonder what the shipping box looked like? iddave didn't say. For all we know, the damage may have occurred at Weatherby, during shipment or at the local store that received it.

Call it a blessing in disguise and replace with a Limbsaver, Pachmayr or Kick-eez.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 07/02/20
All mine look excellent. They also shoot great since they house Criterion ballers.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 07/02/20
Originally Posted by wbyfan1

Ditto
Yeah in looking at the pic that is a disappointment. How in the world could that have left Weatherby like that? And on a $3K rifle no less...Got an Accumark and have never had any issues with it over the last several years since I bought it new. But with this, it gets one to think about quality control inspections at Weatherby before the rifles are shipped out.

I think my next big $$ rifle will come from Fierce with a beautiful sweet scope already mounted on it along with a test target for that rifle. Rifle/scope packages. Not mass produced with many different handlers and stages to through where sometimes things can get overlooked.

If someone at Weatherby knowingly put that rifle in its shipping box with a recoil pad like that, then he or she should be fired.
Just now thought of this because of this recoil pad issue with Weatherby............If you all go on you tube and type in "Todd Helms reviews Weatherby Ti" or something to that affect, you will see his video bench shooting a new 6.5/300 Weatherby BC Ti. As you watch the video you should notice the recoil pad. It compresses against the shoulder under recoil but appears not to maintain its criss-cross shape during his bench session. Weatherby may have some issues with this recoil pad.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 07/02/20
I am sorry to hear of posters' recent troubles. I recently was given a new Weatherby Mark V Accumark in .257 Weatherby Magnum. It has the new "WY" serial number and Sheridan, WY markings on the receiver. It is well put together and the trigger is very nice. Unfortunately, I am still undergoing the extensive, recommended break-in procedure, and only today sent a first group of 3 rounds (rounds 11-13) downrange at 200 yards using a borrowed, boresighted lower-end scope. So, I cannot tell you about potential accuracy, because the group was right at 2-3/4 inches. I am fairly confident it will shoot after I get things sorted out.

Here is a gratuitous gun picture. BTW, the recoil pad on this one is a Decelerator. (It came with a muzzle break in the box. However, recoil is mild, so I opted not to install it.)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: iddave Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 07/02/20
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Just now thought of this because of this recoil pad issue with Weatherby............If you all go on you tube and type in "Todd Helms reviews Weatherby Ti" or something to that affect, you will see his video bench shooting a new 6.5/300 Weatherby BC Ti. As you watch the video you should notice the recoil pad. It compresses against the shoulder under recoil but appears not to maintain its criss-cross shape during his bench session. Weatherby may have some issues with this recoil pad.

Damn squeeze....you’re absolutely right. I went and watched the video, and you can clearly see the recoil pad is jacked up in the exact same fashion as my buddy’s rifle.

Here is the link for anyone else that cares to see it. Seems like Weatherby does indeed have an issue there.

JACKED UP RECOIL PAD

Dave

P.s. Nice looking rifle Cheyenne.
Posted By: shinbone Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 07/02/20
Two examples with the exact same fault. No doubt Weatherby has a bad design on their hands, and is now compounding the problem by denying it.

Really short-sighted by Weatherby with the internet allowing everyone to see the problem but the company still denying it.

A replacement recoil pad cost about $20. A single lost sale due to bad publicity cost about $3000? That sounds like a smart trade-off to me - not!
Originally Posted by iddave
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

Damn squeeze....you’re absolutely right. I went and watched the video, and you can clearly see the recoil pad is jacked up in the exact same fashion as my buddy’s rifle.

Here is the link for anyone else that cares to see it. Seems like Weatherby does indeed have an issue there.

JACKED UP RECOIL PAD

Dave

P.s. Nice looking rifle Cheyenne.
...........................Yep! Very noticeable in that Todd Helms video. Now if ya go to the Weatherby site and look at the Back Country Ti video presentation with Adam Weatherby and another guy, he will say that this recoil pad is a new design in order to better absorb the recoil from the biggy mags with such a light rifle. The only problem is, it does not maintain its shape and as such is too soft in the center section.
Posted By: Ejp1234 Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 07/02/20
I recently got a new carbonmark in .257bee, its a WY gun. No issues on my end at all.

The Carbonmarks dont have that recoil pad, so no comment.
For the few extra ounces putting a Decelerator would add, they should probably contact AG Comp and stop them from putting on any more of those recoil pads until they either sort them out or decide to do away with them. Was thinking of picking up one of the non Ti models in 257 Roy, but I dislike the colors they picked for the cerakote, and now may have a pad issue. I think I’ll wait and see how they shake out.
Posted By: Dre Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 08/17/20
Wondering what happened with this
I handled a few Wyoming guns Saturday. I guess WBY is really pushing them and this guy had a nice selection of rifles. Without shooting them and just by looks alone they looked ok. The Cheapest Mark V was 1699.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Weatherby Wyoming Quality - 08/21/20
Is the brake removable? If so, it would save people from having a smith cut it off with a lathe.
© 24hourcampfire