Home
Posted By: pacecars Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 09/26/20
https://www.hyattgunstore.com/remin..._2016&cmp=1&utm_medium=HTMLEmail
I like it. The uglier and mistreated a 358 carbine is, the better it kills moose. Some of these fellas showing off 358 hunting rifles, looked like they've never left the factory.
I woulda bought it right now!
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 09/26/20
Thanks just bought it. 😂😂
Don't see how Judman the link is from March 2016! Got a time machine?
Well I got a confirmation email. Wtf??? Haha
Looks like I got a time machine hotshot. Done deal. Just got off the horn with em... 😆
Glad you got it. Good price. The link was from the email they had just sent me
Thanks for the nudge. Love 358’s should be a goodun
I just took it for granted the link was from 2016 because of the way the link was written. Good catch Judman. I have been hemming and hawwing over building a short light 358 ever since I sold my old Steel frame Browning lever gun.
I have too, been pondering a 7/700 custom 358. Got the rar and a blr, probably give those to the grandson
The little 358 never really needed the mauser claw. Why not put in the slimest, trimest action, the model 7? I feel the model 7 exemplifies everything good about the 358.

Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith sure had some kind things to say about the cartridge.
Posted By: blairvt Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 09/26/20
Does Hyatt's charge a $29.99 admin fee online? They do in the store. Told them to shove it
I bought a Cooper Jackson Squirrel Rifle from them earlier this month and they didn’t charge any additional fee. It was a used gun and 1/2 the price of a new one.
Jud, if you decide you don’t like it - I want it!

That’s a cool looking rifle, nice snag
You may have scored bigly on that stock.
Nice grab.
Posted By: Oakster Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 09/26/20
That was a great buy with the scope on it. Wow.
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 09/27/20
Ya, should be a dandy, can’t believe no one snagged it, even did a $200 price reduction. Should be a hammer, hopefully the scope holds zero... 😂😂
Judman, great score, deal of the month, perfect for thick cover Rosie’s. I have a couple 358’s in the stable, but still would’ve paid original sticker price.
Good Hunting !
I have found some good prices for n some of their guns. I would have jumped on it if I hadn’t bought the Cooper and a Shiloh recently. Figured it would go quick with a little nudge
Originally Posted by pacecars
I have found some good prices for n some of their guns. I would have jumped on it if I hadn’t bought the Cooper and a Shiloh recently. Figured it would go quick with a little nudge

Is was within minutes... grin
Originally Posted by Cattledog
Judman, great score, deal of the month, perfect for thick cover Rosie’s. I have a couple 358’s in the stable, but still would’ve paid original sticker price.
Good Hunting !

Yessir, great “huntin” rifle, bout perfect for blacktail, Roosevelt’s and northern Idaho whitetail. Gave the boy the blr 358 and the 1 yo grandson the rar 358. Kinda partial to 35’s.. 👍
Originally Posted by pacecars

Best part is I 3 pigged Rick!! Haha
I wish I was as happy about it as you are!
Haha it’s all good Rick, it’ll throw some bone on the wall, and lotsa groceries in the larder... 👍
Posted By: TheKid Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 09/27/20
Pretty slick little setup Jud. Stock looks like my Bansner on my M7. If so they’re good handles.
Jud, can you give us a report after you get it?
Love a short handy 358, but prefer the lever guns. That should be great for the PNW.
I had one similar a few years ago, but was blued/walnut. I liked it a lot, but the friend I got it from wanted it back, so .........
What is amazing to me is how many people are solid fans of the 358 and they are not exactly common rifles.
I'm in with the 358's - Rem 600 - Rem 700 - Rem Model 7 SS

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ken
I have four. Two Ruger M77 tangers, an early BLR and a Savage M99. Mostly they're safe queens since I got my .35 Whelen. I really should do something about that.
Paul B.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 09/27/20
I have 2 a BLR and a Hawkeye. Just finished up getting them dialed in with JB's 200 TSX Tac load.

I had a blr that foolishly traded and I have a stainless/synthetic Hawkeye. The Hawkeye is an excellent shooter with 200’s, 220’s and 225’s.
Judman, keep it ugly! Taboo to polish up a 358:

Had this lever gun that had no blueing. It was called ole trusty rusty. It was in parts and missing parts. Bore was so crude, 308 bullets hit target sideways. Sent it to JES to go 358. Loaded up 275 grain woodleighs and took big moose for 2 years straight. Decided to get ceramic finish put on it. Second I got rifle back, it looked horrible! Too clean. I sold it to my friend and didn't hunt that year. I was lost.

Clean, safe queen 358s fed with over-thought handloads disgust me. Poor things never get used past milk jugs filled with water.

Wonder if the stock under that paint is a KS?

I was going to build a little 358 from a m7 or m700. Decided to go with a Kimber Montana....which still became a 358.

Under 6 pounds with a 3-10x42 Swarovski and talley Lightweights on top.

Recoil isn't bad at all. You know you fired a rifle. You aren't staying on target...but something that got hit definitely knows it. Something about those 358s when they hit.
Congratulations Judman. If I had seen it it would have been mine. Let us know how it shoots. I'm concerned it won't get to the 200 yard line because Gunswizz says so. Be Well, RZ.
A couple years back I had a Rem Mod 7 made into a 358 Win and really glad I did it. It's light, handy, and really accurate. I've had several 358s, mostly Mod 70 FWTS and a Rem 600. Don't hesitate to do it.
I'm going with the euro version of the 358Win aka the 9.3x57.
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 09/28/20
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

Had this lever gun that had no blueing. It was called ole trusty rusty. It was in parts and missing parts. Bore was so crude, 308 bullets hit target sideways. Sent it to JES to go 358. Loaded up 275 grain woodleighs and took big moose for 2 years straight. Decided to get ceramic finish put on it. Second I got rifle back, it looked horrible! Too clean. I sold it to my friend and didn't hunt that year. I was lost.

Clean, safe queen 358s fed with over-thought handloads disgust me. Poor things never get used past milk jugs filled with water.

Yep it’ll stay ugly, meat n taters hammer..

Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 09/28/20
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
Congratulations Judman. If I had seen it it would have been mine. Let us know how it shoots. I'm concerned it won't get to the 200 yard line because Gunswizz says so. Be Well, RZ.

Had my first 358 over 25 years ago, I know what they’re capable of, reguardless of what the “experts” say. 👍😎
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper

Had my first 358 over 25 years ago, I know what they’re capable of, reguardless of what the “experts” say. 👍😎

Real experts would agree... grin

DF
Posted By: Bisley Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 09/28/20
Smoking deal!
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 09/28/20

If I can get my BLR in a pic like that before I die, I'll be doing okay!
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 09/28/20
Officer, I'd like to report a STOLEN .358...
Good on you. Heck of a deal.
Rex
Posted By: Joe Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 09/28/20

That's just awesome!
I can remember 5 in the safes right now, all Savage lever guns. There could be more I can't remember. I'm a fan. The shortest is a 16" carbine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by blairvt
Does Hyatt's charge a $29.99 admin fee online? They do in the store. Told them to shove it

I thought about making the 10 minute drive to Hyatt to look at it in person then remembered how much I despise that place

It does look like a heck of a buy, which is not something you find often at hyatt
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 09/28/20

That's the best pic I've seen in a long time.
Posted By: MS9x56 Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 09/28/20
I am a 35 caliber bunny. Never own more than one rifle in the same caliber at the same time. I do have stable of 35's though. BLR in 358, a rem 750 in 35 Whelen, a marlin 336 in 35 rem, and a CZ550 FS in a close enough 9.3x62. All are accurate and not fussy about bullets or powders. Never have to shoot anything twice with any of them. You got a good deal there. Good luck with it.
I can't claim to be a real expert on 358 Win's but I am a big fan. Mine is a Ruger M77 in SS with synthetic stock. I've only taken a couple of deer with the rifle, but can attest that it is a hard hitting round especially with 225 gr. bullets (Sierra GK's or Nosler Partitions) when loaded on the warm side. I originally was looking for a 35 Whelen but found the little Ruger and couldn't pass it up. I later bought a 9.3x62 which more than satisfied my desire for a 35 Whelen. Ugly rifles can shoot well too. Nice find.
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 12/05/20
Little follow up. Been busy huntin and covid shiit, haven’t shot it just picked it up and parked it. So it’s not a model 7 as described, it’s a sa 700. Dunno what someone did to the receiver, maybe trying to lighten it up a ounce??
No Remington as usual, some custom work?
Stock I dunno what make, definitely not a factory handle, no checkering, slightly oversized forend, pacmeyer pad... barrel is thin, Douglas stamped

Paint job is nasty as hell, big stick dummy style, idiot painted inside the action and bolt, cycling the bolt is sticky/gummy, gonna be a project for sure
Posted By: Hook Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 12/06/20
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I'm going with the euro version of the 358Win aka the 9.3x57.

I built a slightly closer euro version....a 9X57!. Doubt you could tell much difference in any of the three. I actually used a .358 barrel so bullet choices are easy. My only problem with it is that it is so close to the 358 that it makes it hard to justify buying one.
Posted By: hanco Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 12/07/20
Model 7’s are great guns, I have a 358, recoil isn’t much with a 180 Barnes. I haven’t killed a deer yet, but it kills the hell out of pigs.
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 12/07/20
Anyway to tell if it’s a brown precision stock?
Anyway to tell if it’s a brown precision stock?

A full length picture would make it easier to identify but that looks like a Douglas featherweight contour. How does it handle and how long is the barrel? But the odd part is whoever sold it didn't know the difference between a 7 and a 700.
Ya it’s a featherweight, whole setup is light. Is strange that the “biggest gun shop “ in America can’t cypher the difference between a 7/700... what pics ya want Rick?
20” snout btw
I would have still bought it 700 or not. Just a full length picture bolt side toward us. I just happen to have a SA SPS action laying around.
Posted By: mathman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 12/07/20
That bolt shroud looks like an old 700.
Ya, action has the 2 holes for a peep on the right side of the rear bridge. Trying to figure out why they machined the are where "Remington" is stamped, or were the early receivers like that?
Wonder if it could be a 722. Nope the bolt handle is different. He musta had that metal machined away.
It’s a light little bugger. Stock definitely has that brown feel to it. I’m struggling with stripping the whole sumbitch down, ie; the fugly paint or just leaving it. Fuucker is ugly! 😂😂
I didn’t notice it was a 700 from the picture when I originally posted it either. I have had good luck with Hyatt’s and am really surprised they got the model wrong. Did you talk to them about sending it back? Although I do think the 700 is a little better than a Model 7. It sticks when you are ordering one thing and get another of course sometimes you get a good surprise
No I’ll hang onto it. Couldn’t come close to building it for what I paid.
I'd keep it too but I would remove the paint from inside the action and possibly paint the rifle over to my liking. But if it shoots and feeds it wouldn't hurt to leave it as is. My old favorite is a Mauser action with a stainless 7x57 barrel on it and it to is ugly but it has been a solid killer of game for many years.
Ya dummy painted everything, dunno wtf kinda paint it is but it’s thick [bleep]. Crosshairs were crookeder than hell, loosened it up to true it up, had to pry the rings loose, painted over everything...
Posted By: drover Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 12/07/20
I have never seen a factory Rem receiver contoured like that one, I suspect that a previous owner had the receiver machined in order to lighten the rifle a bit, especially since everything except the paint job appears to be to make it as light as possible. As thick as the paint is he probably added as much weight back on with it as was machined off.

drover
Maybe it wasn’t the original owner who painted it. Somebody spent some bucks on that gun initially. Maybe uncle passed, nephew got it, and said “let’s camo this beatch.”

How’s the bedding? Agree the stock looks very brownish.
I’ll pull it apart, can’t tell if the lug is even bedded due to the paint. It’s not a rem contour, think I’ll pull it apart, junk the shiit rings and bases, Talley it, have the stock stripped and dipped, barrel and action stripped Cerakoted.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 12/07/20
JMan, that rifle will be cool as hell all cleaned up. Throw a few rounds thru it! See what sorta potential it has. You must have a couple 225 Sierras kicking around.
Just got off he horn with www.nwhydroprint.com out montesano, he's gonna handle the stock, recommended "stripper in a can", guess it'll melt the paint off the barreled action with ease... Reports to follow.
Originally Posted by beretzs
JMan, that rifle will be cool as hell all cleaned up. Throw a few rounds thru it! See what sorta potential it has. You must have a couple 225 Sierras kicking around.

Oh ya Scotty, ill doll her up first, but ya, got a 225 sgk or 2 laying around.👍😁
Posted By: beretzs Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 12/08/20

Oh ya Scotty, ill doll her up first, but ya, got a 225 sgk or 2 laying around.👍😁

Might as well see what you’re working with. grin
"Tool" Mechanical item used to do a specific job. Often found from preowned sources with unknown history of effectiveness. Sometimes "tools are purchased with no set end goals and are modified past their existing state" let it as is prove the validity of the tool , lest you be a fool and prematurely alter the tool. I allways read and value one Alaskan who protects fools with a tool.covered by Rustoleum. Might be a Plumb, Estwing, or a Collins but looks sharp under the paint , do some cutting as is first to let it show it's bonafides. Magnum Bob
Posted By: TheKid Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 12/08/20
Jud I think I might know where that rig was put together. Looks like a killer. I’m betting the stock is a Bansner too, shape looks identical to mine on my 300Sav M7.
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 12/08/20
Don’t keep me guessing... grin
I’m guessing it was put together by one of a handful of guys from Alaska. The common denominator being that we all worked for the same shop at one time or another. Turning the receiver like that on a mandrel with a radiused cutting tool was standard procedure to “lighten” the action but mostly to remove the billboard so we could stamp the shop name on it. We used Bansner stocks almost exclusively, boss was good buds with Mark Bansner.

It was pretty SOP for us to pick up a village beater for pennies and turn it into something we wanted on the cheap using takeoff parts or whatever we could get a discount on. It generally was the unspoken rule that it was okay as long as you weren’t flipping them for side money, though it was known to happen from time to time.

I got a pile of Bansners that were warranty claims, guys cracked them or whatever and Mark would send a new blank for free. He told me he didn’t care what happened to the old one as long as the customer was taken care of so I’d glass them back up and rebuild them with carbon arrow shafts and save them for my projects. Had a shoebox full of Leupold scopes and one Swaro guys gave me for mounting their new scopes while they waited or if they were broke and they wouldn’t care to send them back and tell me to toss them. Barreled several of my own guns when guys would bring in a rifle to be rebarreled because the original barrel they’d had screwed on was a big heavy pig. They’d want a new precontoured blank and not want the old one so I’d cut the shank off and reprofile it, then rethread and chamber to whatever. A guy gave me a Brown Poundr off a Brown custom 700 he’d bought at a garage sale. The stock is a disco special, it’s copper metalflake with what I assume is real automotive paint, professional paint job but looks like a lowrider. He pronounced it the ugliest thing he’d ever seen and offered to sell it to me for $20. We worked a swap for me doing his chamber cast and telling him what caliber his new rifle was in exchange for his ugly stock. Someday I’m going to build me a 280 to put in it.

Anyway I’ve probably said at least enough and maybe too much. But I bet that’s where it came from and as you may have guessed I wish there was better money in being a gunsmith because the side benefits are great.
Copy that and thanks. You are probably right. Gonna strip er down tomorrow. Any tell tale signs if it’s a bansner handle or not?
It’s a light little bugger. Stock definitely has that brown feel to it. I’m struggling with stripping the whole sumbitch down, ie; the fugly paint or just leaving it. 😂😂

I'd get all the small issues sorted out and working well. Leave the rest as is.
I'd probably just strip the bolt head and action railways until it was smooth and play with it for a while before stripping it all down. Maybe put some Burris XTR 2 piece bases on it. Make some dummy rounds and see how it feeds, handles, and balances. Could be a nice little working rifle with minimal work to it. Enjoy it Judman!
Copy that and thanks. You are probably right. Gonna strip er down tomorrow. Any tell tale signs if it’s a bansner handle or not?

If it’s a Bansner it’ll be kinda blue colored when you strip the paint off of it. Otherwise I’m just going by the shape which looks spot on.
The ad says "custom woodland paint job" and that certainly is a pretty special paint job. Very curious to how it shoots, because that's all that really matters. Although if it was mine, I'd want something a little less "custom" looking.
Originally Posted by Tannhauser
The ad says "custom woodland paint job" and that certainly is a pretty special paint job. Very curious to how it shoots, because that's all that really matters. Although if it was mine, I'd want something a little less "custom" looking.

It’s custom alright!! I’ll get er squared away,
Posted By: MS9x56 Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 12/11/20
I would like to find a 9.3x57 myself. I have a CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62 and a Mannlicher 1905 in 9x56 as well as a BLR in 358. I love the 35s but just can't bring myself to buy 2 guns of the same caliber. I guess that makes me a certified rifle looney
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 12/28/20
Gettin er stripped down, looks like someone sandblasted the scope??
Gonna run er up to Olympia for sandblasting/Cerakoting, stock headed out to Montesano to nw Hydroprint to get stripped/dipped.
Stock is pillar bedded, lug and shank bedded. Someone definitely put some love into er, then fuucked it up with a shiit paint job. Should shape up good when I’m done..
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]sad best friend poems that make you cry
Barrel is a 16” twist, per stamped on the bottom of the snout
That’s a brown hiding under there.

I’m sticking with the idea a nephew inherited it and went nuts with Krylon.

Looks like you got yourself a nice one.
I’m thinkin brown too.. should be cool once I get the scuz off it!! 😂😂
Judman, that's gonna turn out a very nice little rifle for the money.

The magic of the 358, is that it isn't reliant on velocity to instantly anchor very large game.

In my world, genetically, the upper Yukon River tributaries produce bigger bodied bull moose than the bulls I've shot in unit 13.

Harder longer winters, more wolves, more tape worm, less browse, deeper snow.

They're also TOUGHER. They do not die as easily and fill the meat cache with more meat. They never have much fat like the unit 13 bulls because they have a harder life.

Anyone who says that bull moose are easy to kill, have not hunted the big bodied ones, or are smoking crack mother fkn cocaine.

My bull this year, took a 350 grain swift 41 caliber bullet at 2100 fps, and came back to 10 minutes later as I walked up on him. Had the bullet exited, he would 've bled out and died.

In the 358 winchester, 275 grain woodleigh bullets downed an even larger bull than this many years ago. They would actually exit a broadside bull, bleeding him out.

The handload was 42 grains of reloader 10 x giving 2200 fps from a 20" barreled savage 99.

I typically don't lung-shoot these big bulls, because they'll end up running into the river or a swamp hole, making field dressing miserable.

The 358 winchester, will send 275 grainers square through the front end of a big bull moose, anchoring them high n dry on the river bank.

Aside from the extended range advantage of the 9.3x62 mauser, within 300 yards, there is no difference in kill power between the two.

Both Jack O'connor and Elmer Keith wrote of the 358 Winchester with the kindest, most thoughtful words.

So too, did Craig Boddington after a shiras moose hunt in a guns and ammo article I read at 20 yrs old, which is why i ended up with one at 21 years of age, my first Alaskan big game rifle.

Arrogant, snobbish fk heads on here like "Brad" will tell you the medium bores are about useless.

The interest in the 358 winchester proves otherwise. There are countless threads started, on over a dozen forums with thousands of positive replies.

Guys like Yukon254, his son, and myself have found the 358 winchester to be flat out lethal and handy, with plenty of range on the biggest of game.

When your 358 is finished, take it hunting anywhere you want, you won't regret it. From 200 grain ttsx blistering out the barrel at 2700 fps in the windy mountains or tundra, to 275 grain woodleighs sailing through big bull moose front quarters along a class lll white water tributary of the Yukon River, the 358 won't disappoint.
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 12/29/20
Great write up Mainer, people who flip their lip simply haven’t used a medium bore. Bought my first 358 over 25 years ago, first custom was a whelen, nothing fancy, no drama, no turrets, just hunt, and they’ll hammer shiit....

PS, I’ve (3) 358’s and a whelen in the stable now... 😂😂
I’ll post pics when it’s done, it’ll be a dandy hammer when I’m done ✅
Posted By: MichieD Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 12/29/20
That is a great deal on that rifle. It's a shame it's not a little faster twist but that's a small issue.
Ya be curious to see if they shoot my 225 smk/tac load
Ken,

I see you still have my old Remmy .358... smile Don't know what ever possessed me to sell that... blush But I still have 6 other rifles in .358 Win. Including a M-7 MS Custom shop, a Ruger 77 Flat bolt, and a Montana Rifleman ASR. And I still have a new Douglas bbl for LR Mauser, and New Pac-Nor blank. So I can build two more. Also have a M-660 up to the "Wizard of Turtle rd." being bored to .358 (1~14") twist.

All my rifles are 1~12" twist with the exception of the Ruger and that is a 1~16" and that one absolutely refuses to group any bullet longer than a 200 gr Spire Point. frown Best to you - GH
That’s kinda what I was thinkin. Might have to try some Hornadys
Quote: "Ya be curious to see if they shoot my 225 smk/tac load"

If the rifle in question is a 1~12" twist, probably will... If it's 1~16", probably not.

I don't believe I've ever found any data for the .358 with Tac, Do you have a starting load?
It’s 16”, hence my post. Ya tac 50 gr and go up 225 sgk. They work
Barrel is a 16” twist, per stamped on the bottom of the snout

Ya it’s 16” twist. 😂😂😂
Posted By: beretzs Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 12/29/20
That’s kinda what I was thinkin. Might have to try some Hornadys

That 1-16 will work with the 225 Sierra JMan, my 7600 Whelen is a 16 and does just perfect with them. I wouldn’t sweat it a bit myself. My 1-16 CDL shoots the longer 225 AB real well too.

Mainer, that was awesome buddy. Well written and worth re reading here and again!
Good to hear Scotty, got a couple hundred loaded up, I’ll be sure to try em pard. 🤞
What happened to the serial number? Milled off or just painted over? Couldn't tell from the pictures on page 6.
It’s still there, just covered up with paint as thick as shiit, literally. The Remington part has been turned off via lathe, to save I dunno how many ounces?? 😂😂

6 digit low serial number
Keep us posted and can’t wait to see pics. I didn’t need or want a .358 when I saw it but now this is making me think I might need one. Might have to find a 99 .308 to rebore
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 03/17/21
Just got a text from nw Hydroprint, stock and scope are done, Olympia Cerakoting should have barrel and action done in the week or 2. Liking the stock and scope. 👍

Posted By: tkinak Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 03/17/21
Nice! I look forward to seeing it all together.

I didn't hear back from my NW Hydroprint inquiry. I'll try again.
Scott 206-372-9998 I know he’s busy shoot him a text
Very fond of the 358 Winchester. In 1983 my ears popped up when an acquaintance said “I know where one is.” Minutes later I was on the phone to the LGS he said it was at and had a verbal ‘hold’ on it. Next day I was pickled tink to be the owner of a Ruger 77R in 358 and in 99% condition and for the going price of any Ruger 77 at that time. Deer hunted, hand loaded, and plinked with it for 12 years before making the mistake of selling it to an elk hunter that sounded like he needed and admired it as much as I did.
Forward to a little over a year ago when I heard a few hundred Ruger Americans were special ordered in 358. I wasted no time grabbing one. It’s home is here. The 358 Win has been one of my favorite rounds since 1983.
Agree, I picked up a rar 358 as well, shoots good. It’s tucked back away for my grandson now. I’ll be runnin this one now
Posted By: beretzs Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 03/17/21
That ones looking good now. How long a barrel on it?
Scotty, 20”. Thin sumbitch too.

Have to throw er on a scale when I get it all put back together, she’s light.
Looks handy. Those sorta rifles are whitetail pounders in the NE.

Nice hunting gun in my book.
Ya be a good blacktail, Idaho whitetail hammer too. 👍
Posted By: hanco Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 03/17/21
358 will shoot hell out of pigs!!

You going to run the same load thru it?
Little follow up. Been busy huntin and covid shiit, haven’t shot it just picked it up and parked it. So it’s not a model 7 as described, it’s a sa 700. Dunno what someone did to the receiver, maybe trying to lighten it up a ounce??
No Remington as usual, some custom work?
Stock I dunno what make, definitely not a factory handle, no checkering, slightly oversized forend, pacmeyer pad... barrel is thin, Douglas stamped

Paint job is nasty as hell, big stick dummy style, idiot painted inside the action and bolt, cycling the bolt is sticky/gummy, gonna be a project for sure

That thing come in from Craig?
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 03/18/21
Looks eerily similar don’t it?
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 03/18/21

You going to run the same load thru it?

Ya gonna run the 225’s with tac, if that 16” don’t like em I got some 200 Hornadys to try
A sweet thread here. I have enjoyed watching it and waiting to see the reassembled rifle and what the scales say. Be Well, Judman.
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 03/30/21
Drove down to the beach yesterday and picked the stock and scope up, turned out damn good.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]find nearest petrol pump
Posted By: msalm Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 03/30/21
Don’t know if it came up, but I have a long action 700 that had a lightweight fluted 7 Dakota barrel on it that had the same lightening cut on the action where it was turned smaller between the front and rear ring. If I remember correctly the receiver was engraved with Tooley Custom Rifles on the side of the action where the receiver was turned. It was a very light scratch engraving, but that’s the only one I had seen lightened that way. May give you some insight to where it came from.
Coming along nicely
Dang it. I'm ready to see this thing assembled!!!!
Posted By: pahick Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 04/01/21
Scotty, 20”. Thin sumbitch too.

Have to throw er on a scale when I get it all put back together, she’s light.

Didnt finish reading the thread yet, but that muzzle reminds me of the PacNor mountain rifle contour I had done in .358 for my 35 Rem that ended up a 358 lol. Its amazing how thin theyll go and hold up.

Posted By: bbassi Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 04/01/21
that barrel aught to whip around nicely. whistle
Hows it shoot? Been more than two weeks.
That dip turned out great, I'm jealous...
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 04/18/21
Originally Posted by rickt300

Rick called Friday, still at the Cerakote outfit. 👍
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 04/18/21
Originally Posted by M1Garand

Thanks liked it so much took the ruger 7 rsaum stock when I picked this one up. Got a text Tuesday, it was done, gotta run out to the coast and pic it up now.

Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 05/02/21
Originally Posted by rickt300

Rick called Friday, still at the Cerakote outfit. 👍

Headed up to the big city in the am to get it, said he’s takin $50 since it took so long. Pics tomorrow.. 👍
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 05/02/21

Thanks liked it so much took the ruger 7 rsaum stock when I picked this one up. Got a text Tuesday, it was done, gotta run out to the coast and pic it up now.

Put together
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 05/02/21

Put together

Looks really good!
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 05/03/21
Marc, she gonna be a 🍑... wait for it.... and the tall turrets!!! Haha
Originally Posted by MagMarc

Put together

Looks really good!

My bad thought you were talkin about the 358!! Haha 😂😂
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 05/03/21
I’m sure the the 358 will be a 🍑 but. The Ruger looks pretty damn sweet too.
Looks good Judman. Be Well, RZ.
Both turned out great, I wish there was a place around me that did that. I just build a rifle (LA Rem 700) on a youth stock for my daughter that would look awesome getting one of those dips.
Well took a bit, transformation from ugly as hell, to a sexy lightweight “hunters” rifle. Real happy with how she turned out.👍

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]photo upload site
Posted By: beretzs Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 05/03/21
That turned out excellent! Looks real well done.
Thanks pard, trigger had never been messed with, got it lightened up, she’s a dandy. 👍 light little bastard too
Posted By: d500lnn Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 05/03/21
Well took a bit, transformation from ugly as hell, to a sexy lightweight “hunters” rifle. Real happy with how she turned out.👍

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]photo upload site

That is a sharp little rifle Judman. It’s chambered in 358 win?
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 05/04/21
Yessir 👍
Looks ok but I woulda dipped the ammo too
Posted By: ADNA Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 05/04/21
Really nice looking rifle. Should be good for deer, elk, bear, moose, anything you want to hunt
Outstanding. Time to burn some ammo and send some bullets downrange.
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 05/11/21
I do gotta hand it to whoever blueprinted this rifle, they pretty much perfected a bolt 358...

Next time hold the shiit rattlecan paint...
Looks bad ass!

I really hope Poseur Larry used to own it. 🤣
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 05/14/21
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Looks bad ass!

I really hope Poseur Larry used to own it. 🤣

Naw hawg neck wouldn’t know wtf to do with a “huntin” rifle... 😂😂
Judman, have you had a chance to shoot this beauty yet?
That’s a fine lookin rifle now.
I have a Rem 660 in 308 that could be rebored to something similar. I need a light stock for it.
I have a model 7 in 358 win. Sent model 7 action to ER Shaw and he added an 18.5” barrel. Then had my gunsmith add a jewel trigger and sit it in a HS Precision stock. Shoots 178gr hammers right at 1/2 to 3/4.
Originally Posted by Berksbowman
I have a model 7 in 358 win. Sent model 7 action to ER Shaw and he added an 18.5” barrel. Then had my gunsmith add a jewel trigger and sit it in a HS Precision stock. Shoots 178gr hammers right at 1/2 to 3/4.

I've owned several 35s over the years including three or four 358s. I always thought that if I was just going to shoot lightweight bullets in a 358, I might as well shoot 180s from a 308 or 30-06.

Just sayin'. smile
Supercub I saw the hammers at the Pa sportsman show and was amazed at the hole in the bullet. So I bought some and tried them on deer. Absolutely incredible. My go to load is 225 Accubonds. I like the 7 cuz of the shortness and ease of use in my deer stands and blinds. I always tend to load on the lighter range of the cartridge. 308 and 06 I load 125 ballistic tips for deer.
Sounds like a keeper combo. Results matter more than opinions, esp mine. smile
Posted By: Darryle Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 10/12/21
I have a 700 I purchased here, it's a moa rifle with 200gr Hornady Custom factory loads, handy to with the 18 1/2" barrel with a 12" twist

Don't know that I would want it any more compact or lighter than this one, but Judman did a mercy makeover that looks fantastic!
The little 358 never really needed the mauser claw. Why not put in the slimest, trimest action, the model 7? I feel the model 7 exemplifies everything good about the 358.

Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith sure had some kind things to say about the cartridge.

Except, to my knowledge, Remington never made it in left hand. It’s a great platform for the 358!

Edit to add: just a great timber or mixed country rifle/cartridge combo.
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 10/25/21

Sorry pard, haven’t shot it yet. Just sits like most my rifles, I’ll get er worked up this winter/spring.👍

Sorry pard, haven’t shot it yet. Just sits like most my rifles, I’ll get er worked up this winter/spring.👍

I look forward to it!
Bumping this thread. It got me thinking of a new project. The only thing I would do a little differently would be adding iron sights to it. Only because of what I prefer for tracking and stalking. You’d have to silver solder one on that barrel but it’s truly an ideal rig for tracking and stalking deer and bear hunting in the big woods. I thought my Whelen was ideal but damn, that’s about perfect.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 12/07/21
Find yourself a 760 or 7600 Brinky and have JES run his magical rifler thru it. Fast and quick handling and a couple shots on tap should you not have the first touchdown just right.
Those pumps can be rare like hen’s teeth. And, when you do find them you pay top dollar. Hal Bloods crew had did a run in 35 Whelen a couple years back but good luck getting one of those. In my experience tracking I find you’ll get one good shot off immediately and then your next best will be after about 50-75 yards sometimes they’ll slow and look back. Outside of that you best make the first one count. A smooth clean handling 700/7 short action is likely as good as anything. I know those 760/7600 are the rifles of choice and are solid and accurate performers but can be damn hard to come by in decent shape and then you’ll pay through the nose. I’d definitely love to have one though either long or short to put a :35 bore in.
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 12/07/21
Though I didn’t spec it, it would be one hellava tough blueprint to beat…
Find yourself a 760 or 7600 Brinky and have JES run his magical rifler thru it. Fast and quick handling and a couple shots on tap should you not have the first touchdown just right.

Several guys around here back in the day had Leroy wiesner transform 740/742/7400 into whelen’s, know a couple Ol gristles thst still run em. 👍
Very doable and Remington did a run of 7600 35Whelens for Big Woods Bucks which is Hal Bloods crew up in Maine. Just 100 and I’m sure they get a premium. Always thought a 35 Whelen or 358 in a pump would be cool. Always contemplated a stainless BLR ‘06 rebored would be friggin cool too.
Do what we talked about, you won’t be sorry… 👍
Damn, you all got me thinking my 760 Carbine needs to become a Whelen.
Or a 338/06…. Make sure you get a swfa ss so you can really shoot far!!! Haha
10x at minimum!
Posted By: AKduck Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 12/07/21
Good looking rifle Jud.

Several guys around here back in the day had Leroy wiesner transform 740/742/7400 into whelen’s, know a couple Ol gristles thst still run em. 👍

I found an older 760 in 270 Winchester for 250 bucks. I was going to have it rebored, but since I have a 280 and 35 Whelen already in 7600's, I just had the 270 chopped to 20" and run 150 Partitions through it. I kinda figured nothing I could have the 760 rebored to would work better than the Whelen would, so it stayed a 270 and works damn good.

And yup, that little M7 358 you've got would be handy as well. It would've been tough to build it any better.
Posted By: WAM Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 12/07/21
All this .358 talk has me wanting to dust off my M700 .35 Whelen and Savage 99 .358 Win! I put an old BDL stock on my 700 Classic to preserve the original stock that had a hard butt pad. Not concerned with lightening it up. It’s bedded and a real shooter although it never shot 200 gr Core Lokt factory loads worth a darn. Happy Trails
Originally Posted by WAM
All this .358 talk has me wanting to dust off my M700 .35 Whelen and Savage 99 .358 Win! I put an old BDL stock on my 700 Classic to preserve the original stock that had a hard butt pad. Not concerned with lightening it up. It’s bedded and a real shooter although it never shot 200 gr Core Lokt factory loads worth a darn. Happy Trails

HA! Thats the spirit.

And you aren't missing out. That CL factory load was explosive for me on deer, even at their slower speeds.
I have a partial box of the 200 gr core lokt loads. Have yet to use them on game, only steel plates. I have my rifle dialed in for them as my plan was to use them up before I use anymore of my “good stuff “ which is Speer and Hornady 250’s. I’ll see how they work hopefully shortly as I clean up my tags in late doe season. I’ll keep you posted on my experience. The Speer and Hornady slugs are flawless.
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 12/08/21
Originally Posted by WAM

I bought a bdl whelen back in 94-95, great rifle. 👍
Posted By: Judman Re: Interesting Rem 7 .358 Win - 12/08/21
Originally Posted by brinky72
I have a partial box of the 200 gr core lokt loads. Have yet to use them on game, only steel plates. I have my rifle dialed in for them as my plan was to use them up before I use anymore of my “good stuff “ which is Speer and Hornady 250’s. I’ll see how they work hopefully shortly as I clean up my tags in late doe season. I’ll keep you posted on my experience. The Speer and Hornady slugs are flawless.

That’s the beauty of 35’s, don’t need designer bullets to shine.
For certain. Nor do you need 3K fps. In fact if you read up on some of the old hunting articles by some of the old salts that hunted the big cats, they like their speeds between 2200-2400 for reliable penetration and expansion. I’ve played with my Whelen loads and pushed 250’s up over 2700 which gives me 338 WM energy but it kills just as well running at 2400 with a 250 C&C.
© 24hourcampfire