Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
HR IC

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That bolt shroud looks like an old 700.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya, action has the 2 holes for a peep on the right side of the rear bridge. Trying to figure out why they machined the are where "Remington" is stamped, or were the early receivers like that?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Wonder if it could be a 722. Nope the bolt handle is different. He musta had that metal machined away.

Last edited by rickt300; 12/07/20.

Dog I rescued in January

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It’s a light little bugger. Stock definitely has that brown feel to it. I’m struggling with stripping the whole sumbitch down, ie; the fugly paint or just leaving it. Fuucker is ugly! 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I didn’t notice it was a 700 from the picture when I originally posted it either. I have had good luck with Hyatt’s and am really surprised they got the model wrong. Did you talk to them about sending it back? Although I do think the 700 is a little better than a Model 7. It sticks when you are ordering one thing and get another of course sometimes you get a good surprise

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No I’ll hang onto it. Couldn’t come close to building it for what I paid.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'd keep it too but I would remove the paint from inside the action and possibly paint the rifle over to my liking. But if it shoots and feeds it wouldn't hurt to leave it as is. My old favorite is a Mauser action with a stainless 7x57 barrel on it and it to is ugly but it has been a solid killer of game for many years.

Dog I rescued in January

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya dummy painted everything, dunno wtf kinda paint it is but it’s thick [bleep]. Crosshairs were crookeder than hell, loosened it up to true it up, had to pry the rings loose, painted over everything...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have never seen a factory Rem receiver contoured like that one, I suspect that a previous owner had the receiver machined in order to lighten the rifle a bit, especially since everything except the paint job appears to be to make it as light as possible. As thick as the paint is he probably added as much weight back on with it as was machined off.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Maybe it wasn’t the original owner who painted it. Somebody spent some bucks on that gun initially. Maybe uncle passed, nephew got it, and said “let’s camo this beatch.”

How’s the bedding? Agree the stock looks very brownish.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ll pull it apart, can’t tell if the lug is even bedded due to the paint. It’s not a rem contour, think I’ll pull it apart, junk the shiit rings and bases, Talley it, have the stock stripped and dipped, barrel and action stripped Cerakoted.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
JMan, that rifle will be cool as hell all cleaned up. Throw a few rounds thru it! See what sorta potential it has. You must have a couple 225 Sierras kicking around.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Just got off he horn with www.nwhydroprint.com out montesano, he's gonna handle the stock, recommended "stripper in a can", guess it'll melt the paint off the barreled action with ease... Reports to follow.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by beretzs
JMan, that rifle will be cool as hell all cleaned up. Throw a few rounds thru it! See what sorta potential it has. You must have a couple 225 Sierras kicking around.

Oh ya Scotty, ill doll her up first, but ya, got a 225 sgk or 2 laying around.👍😁

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by beretzs

Oh ya Scotty, ill doll her up first, but ya, got a 225 sgk or 2 laying around.👍😁

Might as well see what you’re working with. grin

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
"Tool" Mechanical item used to do a specific job. Often found from preowned sources with unknown history of effectiveness. Sometimes "tools are purchased with no set end goals and are modified past their existing state" let it as is prove the validity of the tool , lest you be a fool and prematurely alter the tool. I allways read and value one Alaskan who protects fools with a tool.covered by Rustoleum. Might be a Plumb, Estwing, or a Collins but looks sharp under the paint , do some cutting as is first to let it show it's bonafides. Magnum Bob

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Jud I think I might know where that rig was put together. Looks like a killer. I’m betting the stock is a Bansner too, shape looks identical to mine on my 300Sav M7.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Don’t keep me guessing... grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m guessing it was put together by one of a handful of guys from Alaska. The common denominator being that we all worked for the same shop at one time or another. Turning the receiver like that on a mandrel with a radiused cutting tool was standard procedure to “lighten” the action but mostly to remove the billboard so we could stamp the shop name on it. We used Bansner stocks almost exclusively, boss was good buds with Mark Bansner.

It was pretty SOP for us to pick up a village beater for pennies and turn it into something we wanted on the cheap using takeoff parts or whatever we could get a discount on. It generally was the unspoken rule that it was okay as long as you weren’t flipping them for side money, though it was known to happen from time to time.

I got a pile of Bansners that were warranty claims, guys cracked them or whatever and Mark would send a new blank for free. He told me he didn’t care what happened to the old one as long as the customer was taken care of so I’d glass them back up and rebuild them with carbon arrow shafts and save them for my projects. Had a shoebox full of Leupold scopes and one Swaro guys gave me for mounting their new scopes while they waited or if they were broke and they wouldn’t care to send them back and tell me to toss them. Barreled several of my own guns when guys would bring in a rifle to be rebarreled because the original barrel they’d had screwed on was a big heavy pig. They’d want a new precontoured blank and not want the old one so I’d cut the shank off and reprofile it, then rethread and chamber to whatever. A guy gave me a Brown Poundr off a Brown custom 700 he’d bought at a garage sale. The stock is a disco special, it’s copper metalflake with what I assume is real automotive paint, professional paint job but looks like a lowrider. He pronounced it the ugliest thing he’d ever seen and offered to sell it to me for $20. We worked a swap for me doing his chamber cast and telling him what caliber his new rifle was in exchange for his ugly stock. Someday I’m going to build me a 280 to put in it.

Anyway I’ve probably said at least enough and maybe too much. But I bet that’s where it came from and as you may have guessed I wish there was better money in being a gunsmith because the side benefits are great.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 51 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,277
Posts18,505,057
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.