Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Judman, keep it ugly! Taboo to polish up a 358:

Had this lever gun that had no blueing. It was called ole trusty rusty. It was in parts and missing parts. Bore was so crude, 308 bullets hit target sideways. Sent it to JES to go 358. Loaded up 275 grain woodleighs and took big moose for 2 years straight. Decided to get ceramic finish put on it. Second I got rifle back, it looked horrible! Too clean. I sold it to my friend and didn't hunt that year. I was lost.

Clean, safe queen 358s fed with over-thought handloads disgust me. Poor things never get used past milk jugs filled with water.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Yep it’ll stay ugly, meat n taters hammer..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
Congratulations Judman. If I had seen it it would have been mine. Let us know how it shoots. I'm concerned it won't get to the 200 yard line because Gunswizz says so. Be Well, RZ.

Had my first 358 over 25 years ago, I know what they’re capable of, reguardless of what the “experts” say. 👍😎

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
Congratulations Judman. If I had seen it it would have been mine. Let us know how it shoots. I'm concerned it won't get to the 200 yard line because Gunswizz says so. Be Well, RZ.

Had my first 358 over 25 years ago, I know what they’re capable of, reguardless of what the “experts” say. 👍😎

Real experts would agree... grin

DF

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Smoking deal!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N

Had this lever gun that had no blueing. It was called ole trusty rusty. It was in parts and missing parts. Bore was so crude, 308 bullets hit target sideways. Sent it to JES to go 358. Loaded up 275 grain woodleighs and took big moose for 2 years straight. Decided to get ceramic finish put on it. Second I got rifle back, it looked horrible! Too clean. I sold it to my friend and didn't hunt that year. I was lost.

Clean, safe queen 358s fed with over-thought handloads disgust me. Poor things never get used past milk jugs filled with water.

If I can get my BLR in a pic like that before I die, I'll be doing okay!

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Officer, I'd like to report a STOLEN .358...
Good on you. Heck of a deal.
Rex

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

That's just awesome!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I can remember 5 in the safes right now, all Savage lever guns. There could be more I can't remember. I'm a fan. The shortest is a 16" carbine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by blairvt
Does Hyatt's charge a $29.99 admin fee online? They do in the store. Told them to shove it

I thought about making the 10 minute drive to Hyatt to look at it in person then remembered how much I despise that place

It does look like a heck of a buy, which is not something you find often at hyatt

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

That's the best pic I've seen in a long time.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am a 35 caliber bunny. Never own more than one rifle in the same caliber at the same time. I do have stable of 35's though. BLR in 358, a rem 750 in 35 Whelen, a marlin 336 in 35 rem, and a CZ550 FS in a close enough 9.3x62. All are accurate and not fussy about bullets or powders. Never have to shoot anything twice with any of them. You got a good deal there. Good luck with it.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I can't claim to be a real expert on 358 Win's but I am a big fan. Mine is a Ruger M77 in SS with synthetic stock. I've only taken a couple of deer with the rifle, but can attest that it is a hard hitting round especially with 225 gr. bullets (Sierra GK's or Nosler Partitions) when loaded on the warm side. I originally was looking for a 35 Whelen but found the little Ruger and couldn't pass it up. I later bought a 9.3x62 which more than satisfied my desire for a 35 Whelen. Ugly rifles can shoot well too. Nice find.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Little follow up. Been busy huntin and covid shiit, haven’t shot it just picked it up and parked it. So it’s not a model 7 as described, it’s a sa 700. Dunno what someone did to the receiver, maybe trying to lighten it up a ounce??
No Remington as usual, some custom work?
Stock I dunno what make, definitely not a factory handle, no checkering, slightly oversized forend, pacmeyer pad... barrel is thin, Douglas stamped

Paint job is nasty as hell, big stick dummy style, idiot painted inside the action and bolt, cycling the bolt is sticky/gummy, gonna be a project for sure

Ain’t easy havin pals.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I'm going with the euro version of the 358Win aka the 9.3x57.

I built a slightly closer euro version....a 9X57!. Doubt you could tell much difference in any of the three. I actually used a .358 barrel so bullet choices are easy. My only problem with it is that it is so close to the 358 that it makes it hard to justify buying one.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Model 7’s are great guns, I have a 358, recoil isn’t much with a 180 Barnes. I haven’t killed a deer yet, but it kills the hell out of pigs.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Anyway to tell if it’s a brown precision stock?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Judman
Anyway to tell if it’s a brown precision stock?

A full length picture would make it easier to identify but that looks like a Douglas featherweight contour. How does it handle and how long is the barrel? But the odd part is whoever sold it didn't know the difference between a 7 and a 700.

Dog I rescued in January

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya it’s a featherweight, whole setup is light. Is strange that the “biggest gun shop “ in America can’t cypher the difference between a 7/700... what pics ya want Rick?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
20” snout btw

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would have still bought it 700 or not. Just a full length picture bolt side toward us. I just happen to have a SA SPS action laying around.

Dog I rescued in January

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 43 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,561
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.