Home
Posted By: BCHunter666 Recoil survey - 10/24/20
As a certified range officer I see all kinds of shooters out there. So I want to compare my experiences with what you all think. Let’s say you shoot a 243 very accurately. How much more recoil can you honestly take without flinching. Be honest. Is that a 270? 30-06? 300 mag? More. I have tested several experienced shooters having them turn their backs while I load , or not, their rifles. Then they have to shoot and flinching will become very clear. Results might surprise you
Posted By: saskfox Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
In my experience gun fit and gun weight are very important to reduce felt recoil. A gun that kicks the crap out of me might be quite tolerable to others and vise versa.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
Yeah, it surprises me too. A lot of guys can't shoot for chidt..:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Some guys can... My threshold is somewhere around 375H&H levels. I'll shoot my 338wm for 40 rounds off the bench in one outing, then shoot my 30-06 and creedmoor all day long if need be. Some guys are like my buddy Troy:

Some shoot like my buddy Mark. Same rifle Troy shot in the above pic:

And hell, just to confirm the rifle doesn't shoot like chidt:

So, yes some have a higher tolerance for recoil. As you can see, my buddy Troy doesn't like shooting a lightweight rifle, even when chambered for a small cartridge, such as the 6.5 CM...
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
It's mind over matter isn't it? I think there might be a natural "clench" in anticipation of getting booted, but overcome by deliberatly avoiding it. Like I see sometimes pistol shooters drop there muzzles if the round doesn't go off (either empty mag or otherwise all rounds fired). It's still anticipation of recoil but not really a fear of it.
Posted By: Sam_H Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
Recoil energy is only part of the picture. Cuz not all recoil hurts. Different way of saying what saskfox has already.

Cheek slap will usually induce a flinch because the face isn't designed to absorb recoil. That can be mitigated. Yesterday shot a Rem 7 7-08 and thought it bothersome. Combination of that sharp buttplate and fairly heavy trigger.

OTOH, can shoot my .375R GG like a .243 or Swift all day, and feel invigorated. Factory brake, I meant......... Same for my unbraked 700s in .300 Win and Roy. Can shoot precise.

About my limit there. Above that, unbraked, not so good.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
I can take a bit of thump. Am getting older and dont like to anymore. Blast may be more annoying than recoil.

My old.300 winmag was good for 30-40 rounds off the bench. Id drop down to a 7mag these days. That my comfort limit. Proly just run a .280 rem to be more wuss.
Posted By: BCHunter666 Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
I asked the question and observing the answers because I keep seeing on forums the trend to go smaller and lighter across the board. 20 years ago people would have told you a cartridge like the 6.5 creed or would bounce off an elk, but today it’s devastating. . I’ve certainly noticed the very best used gun bargains are calibers like the 338 win. Owners just don’t shoot them much generally speaking. Bottom line I guess is practice makes perfect but agree it’s more anticipation than the actual wallop. With today’s bullets you can do a lot with less
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
I am fairly tolerant of recoil, but I've come to recognize I don't like to deliberately expose myself to more than necessary, especially if a lot of rounds are to be expended.

I can shoot a helluva lot more .308 rounds than I can heavily-loaded .45-70 before it gets to where I notice recoil, so I do .45-70 load development in smaller steps. I pretty much have the .45-70 figured out, anyway, so that one gets shot enough for zero check and some familiarization with the rifle after using a bolt-action for a while.
Posted By: viking Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
The older I get the less I like recoil.

I would rather shoot my 243 or 257 Roberts than my 6.5-300.
Posted By: TOPCATHR Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
sighting in a rifle and taking 1 or 2 shots hunting big difference.
Posted By: devnull Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
A sporter .30-06 off a bench is the limit for me. During a F/TR match, shooting close to 100 round of .308 in a day fatigues me. I agree with viking, the older I get the less I like recoil. I also dislike muzzle brakes.
Posted By: noKnees Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
Some variation from gun to gun, but as a guide I would say from the bench or prone I can shoot up to a 30.06 or 338 RCM plenty enough to load work up ( say 30 rounds) with out thinking about it much. Bigger than that I can shoot well, but it wears on me and I take some precautions, wearing a jacket or a PAST recoil pad. For my smaller stuff 250AI or 6BR, I can shoot quite a few rounds without caring.

For standing or sticks the bigger stuff doesn't really bother me to much, but 375 Ruger is as big as I go.
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
Even Hickok45 will flinch sometimes...and he is an expert shot...swatting that gong at 80 yards with snubbies. He's fired more shots than many will in several lifetimes.

I agree that it is mostly a mind over matter thing, to keep focussed on shot after shot.
Posted By: WAM Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
I enjoy shooting critters with 7mm and .300 Weatherby mags but I am tuning up a 7x57 for the time when those get to be a bit much. I already use a .257 Roberts for most deer hunts so I’m already wuss there. 🤣
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
Suppressors really mellow things out. The game has changed... I don't consider anything necessarily devastating, but, a suppressed 6.5 Creedmoor is a thing of beauty.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Suppressors really mellow things out. The game has changed... I don't consider anything necessarily devastating, but, a suppressed 6.5 Creedmoor is a thing of beauty.

You got that right!
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
Originally Posted by saskfox
In my experience gun fit and gun weight are very important to reduce felt recoil. A gun that kicks the crap out of me might be quite tolerable to others and vise versa.

This ^^^^^^^^^ .... Bought my dad a "soft recoiling" gas operated Rem 7400 in .270 Win. Same time I had a Savage 110 chambered 7 RM. I could shoot Federal Premium 160gr loads in the Savage 7 RM off the bench for as long as I could afford to feed it. However, three 3 shot groups (nine total) was my limit with the .270. Would have an all day head ache after shooting that .270.

Stayed away from .270's for a long time because of that rifle. Later picked up a .270 as a donor to rebarrel. Made the mistake of shooting the donor. Am now a .270 maven...
Posted By: CRS Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
I have stated this before.

My recoil tolerance stopped at 416 Rigby. Enough! 5-6 tounds and I was done.
404 Jeffery I can shoot 30-40 rounds before it gets punchy.
My 375 I can shoot all day.

Recoil tolerance is a very individualized between people. Add in all the body shapes, rifle physics and geometry, you have a myriad of factors. leading to felt recoil.
Posted By: barm Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
Originally Posted by BCHunter666
As a certified range officer I see all kinds of shooters out there. So I want to compare my experiences with what you all think. Let’s say you shoot a 243 very accurately. How much more recoil can you honestly take without flinching. Be honest. Is that a 270? 30-06? 300 mag? More. I have tested several experienced shooters having them turn their backs while I load , or not, their rifles. Then they have to shoot and flinching will become very clear. Results might surprise you

I don't know what my tolerance is anymore because I gave up trying to get close to it. When you notice you have to pull it in tight to your shoulder and tense up your chest, back, neck, arms and abs you are trying to avoid pain.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with a physical therapist after one of my surgeries. We were talking about guns, hunting, and shooting. He owned a few guns, but really wasn't much of a shooter or hunter. He told me about going to shoot clay birds with a friend. He said he fired his friend's 12 gauge and he said that it really hurt. He said he tried it again and then he handed the gun back to its owner. I then began to tell him he needed to shoot more and find a gun which fit him better. He said his friend told him the same thing. He then looked me in the eye and said, "You are teaching your body to ignore pain. If you keep doing that you will end up in here again." I could not argue with that statement.

There are plenty of guys out there who think their "man card" will be taken away from them if they can't tolerate recoil. This group are the same ones who give a youngster a 12 gauge single shot with 3" shells for a laugh. Nothing is gained for anyone involved when this happens.

So, to answer your question, I don't know my true cut off for flinching, but I know this. When I get up to the recoil level of a sporter weight 223, I have to start pulling it in tight and tensing up to keep from getting a painful response.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
I can't answer that because it's too complicated.

My 760 30-06 is fine, even though they have a rep. as kicking.
A 660 308 in a Brown Pounder with a Decelerator is fine for a decent amount
of shooting. But gets uncomfortable.

A light 300 mag with a Decelerator is fine for literally 3 shots.
After the second, they get increasingly less pleasant. 5 or 6 is unpleasant.
I can grit my teeth, concentrate, and do ok. But it ain't fun.

Ex-B-I-L had a Ruger 77 in 7mag.
I would rather shoot my 300 2 shots to one in that POS!
Posted By: Windfall Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
I use to help guys sight in their rifles during our gun club’s sight in days and it was a real test in diplomacy holding my tongue when the guy was shooting patterns. If they did luck a shot into somewhere near the center of the target, “good enough” was usually heard. A .30-06 is still the north woods standard in these parts and it is too much gun for the average deer hunter.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
You can do a lot of things wrong and still get results that say otherwise.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20

.35 Whelen is my limit these days.

Rebarreled a .338 Win to .264 Win as the .338 was no fun anymore.
Posted By: Savuti Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
20 years ago it was an 11 lb 470 NE, standing off hand.

Now, a 308 from the bench wears me out.
Posted By: memtb Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
I do pretty good up to approximately 60 ft/lbs recoil ( 9 lb. .375AI), my wife seems to handle 40 ft/lbs. (9 lb. .338 WM) pretty darn good! Nether of us enjoy extended bench shooting with those recoil numbers! I’m good to 20 + at one sitting, the wife doesn’t like going beyond 5 or six at a sitting! memtb
Posted By: mathman Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
My visits to the range, particularly at this time of year, reinforce my belief that many (if not most) people are over gunned, over scoped and under practiced. Our facility has shooting positions aligned with backstops for 50, 100, 200 and 300 yards. Most of the time I don't have company down at the 300 yard end.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
Growing up in Ohio i got a lot of experience sighting in slug guns. So the shoulder pounding is not the problem. I can handle that part.

The problem for the last 10 years or so is the headache I get after shooting.

I am down to a 25-06 level now trying to avoid the painful concussion feeling. It actually feels like a force hits me in the head.

John barsness says his wife has the same issue and has gone to a 257 Roberts to help avoid it. That's my main rifle now and my 6.5x55 with a 129 at 2800 is still ok for now.
Adding to say that it does not seem to matter how much or what kind of recoil pad I use. Shape of the stock makes the most difference but past a certain point nothing helps
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
I've noticed that some days I can't shoot for schitt even with small cartridges, and that some days I have little-to-no recoil tolerance. Other days, I don't ever find a level of recoil that truly bothers me. I've also noticed that when I double up hearing protection, it's easier to shoot better on days where I seem to struggle to shoot well.

I agree that stock fit makes a huge difference, along with noise reduction. I've shot some hot stuff in a short, very light 300 SAUM that doesn't bother me at all, even though I notice how hard it "kicks". +P Whelen stuff doesn't bother me either, but that's really a function of gun weight, as that rifle weighs close to 11 pounds all up with full mag. Still, it's a function of "some days are better than others", at least for me.
Posted By: mathman Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
As I've aged I've more frequently run into the some days are better than others phenomenon.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
Originally Posted by mathman
My visits to the range, particularly at this time of year, reinforce my belief that many (if not most) people are over gunned, over scoped and under practiced. Our facility has shooting positions aligned with backstops for 50, 100, 200 and 300 yards. Most of the time I don't have company down at the 300 yard end.

So true.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
An 8.25lb all up 400 H&H with skeleton butt firing 400gr A Frames at 2400 fps will get me a little soupy after about 30 rounds from the bench, after effects last a couple three days.

A dozen rounds from a 577 or 500 Nitro double and same number of rounds in a 505 Gibbs is plenty anymore.
Posted By: jwall Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
FIRST off and not related to quote BELOW.

I noticed the Target Meister showed up as usual !! smirk

Originally Posted by barm

.A> .... When you notice you have to pull it in tight to your shoulder and tense up your chest, back, neck, arms and abs you are trying to avoid pain.

.B> There are plenty of guys out there who think their "man card" will be taken away from them if they can't tolerate recoil. This group are the same ones who give a youngster a 12 gauge single shot with 3" shells for a laugh..

barm, A> I'm not being critical just relating MY approach or preparation for recoil. Years ago I found myself TENSING up all over and that is WRONG for me.

Regardless of rifle/cartridge/recoil I find I do my best to RELAX and keep rifle snug to shoulder. It allows ME to flex and
roll with recoil INSTEAD of trying to stop it.

<If y'all haven't tried that I suggest you do >

.B> 1. I'm not afraid of losing my 'man card'... I don't have one. lol

2. 3" 12 ga shells NEVER to a youngster. NEVER frown
OTOH... I loaded my Win 1300 FTWT 12 ga 3" shotgun for a FRIEND. First UP the mag was a 3", 2 oz Turkey load.
2 and 3 up the mag were "target" or clay loads.

My friend shucked the shells up himself .....first & second were Clay loads. NOT BAD he said.

3rd shot ( **first loaded into mag**) was the Turkey Load. He shot it and it literally turned him 90* to the R.
When he turned around with a GRIN he said...."I'll NEVER trust you again." laugh laugh

We still laugh about that today.

Now TO THE POINT. I begin to notice recoil with my 8mm RM, 200 grs NP, 80 grs powder, 3100 fps...you notice.

**as others have said, stock fit and recoil pad make a HUGH diff.**

I have played with a 700 BDL in 375 HH and it was NOT bad. REALLY more push than PUNCH...to me.

Jerry

ps: I wonder how many times I'll have to edit to print what I intended to say? grin
only once. grin

Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
I’m a scary good shot with my .223s

I’m a damn fine shot with my 7mm-08s

I’m a good shot with my 7mm Rem Mags

And that’s as far as I’ll go

P
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
Originally Posted by Sam_H

Cheek slap will usually induce a flinch because the face isn't designed to absorb recoil. .......

When set up right recoil up through 375's really doesn't bother me much. I notice it but I'm not sure it effects my shooting much....at least for the limited number of bigger rounds I shoot.

I do have a little TC Cherokee 45 caliber muzzleloader that pops my right cheeckbone like a stiff jab. It's an attention getter..... I killed my first deer with that rifle many years ago so I'll probably never sell it...but I also may never shoot it again.....
Yep. I had a 243 stevens 200 that was not comfortable to shoot and a 270 howa that was a pussycat.

My brother's omega muzzleloader is just plain punishment to shoot but my muzzleloader with the same load is easy.

Posted By: lastround Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20

As I have gotten older and smarter, my recoil tolerance has gotten lower, whether pain induced or mind induced. The maximum for me is now 308 Winchester and I don’t have need to shoot it much anymore. 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor do all that I need to do with a Big Game rifle, but if I feel like I need more, I’ll use the 308. I deer hunted for many years with 30-06’s and 270’s, but learned that they weren’t necessary to cleanly take whitetail deer or mule deer or even elk for that matter.
Posted By: 158XTP Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
I found big game rifles I handled better, generally as you are concentrating more on the hold, good grip on the foregip with downward pressure. Smaller guns with a more casual hold I would find the recoil would 'get through to me' more, particularly the faster magnums. From the bench anything can kick though, you need a good position.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
I never gave much thought to recoil. I loved the challenge of mastering harder kicking rifle. Play with the likes of the .375 H&H, .404 jeffery and .416 Rigby in Ruger #1s was for me fun and games. Well, as one grows older, one in theory gets hopefully wiser. Those big boomers reside at the back of the safe and the only one that might see daylight once in a while would be the .375 H&H.

I still enjoy my .35 Whelen, 30-06 and other like cartridges but lately I've been doing work almost exclusively with the old 7x57. I'm running loads in that one that equal or slightly surpass the 7-08 using RL17 with very interesting results. I'm even thinking about using it for my next cow elk hunt if I'm still above ground. After all, one should act one's age and I am 82 years old. Problem is my mind say you can do it and the body says, "Go to hell!"
Paul B.
Posted By: 358WCF Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
For me it's like a zen thing on the sight-relax-inhale-hold-squeeze-exhale cycle. The bullet is on its way to the X-ring (hopefully) before I can react. Pain has taught me to value longer eye relief scopes on heavier recoiling pieces as well as teaching me when to say when for the day.

Stock/rifle configuration is a part of the equation. I once had a 700 ADL in 308. This was the cheapo '80s model & it was very uncomfortable to shoot even with 150s or 165s. At the same sitting I was shooting a steel buttplate Model 54 Winchester in 30-06 with 180s or 200s very comfortably. Around the same time I picked up a used, thinking it was a Voere, 300 WinMag with a big MonteCarlo & it was brutal with factory 180s, but a 300 H&H loaded up warm with a straight stock wasn't bad at all even with 200s. The absolute worst ever was a light 375 H&H with a real thin barrel that torqued upwards leaving a bloody 1/2 circle mark of the beast over my left eye (I'm right handed) more than once from the bench. I wrapped a sling around the cast iron front rest with a 25# bag of shot & it broke the damned sling swivel & bit me again. It was possessed by a demon. It was uncontrollable at the bench, but was actually kind of fun to shoot off-hand or sitting.

A whole lot of life has happened since then. Most of what's left is .473 base stuff, but there are still a few belted cases just because. The newest meds thin my blood, so after 20 rounds from a low bench with a high seat shooting full house loads in a 7 1/2 lb 358 Winchester or a 35 Whelen my shoulder turns weird shades of yellowish purple & gets tenderized for a few days. This cant be a good thing so I bought a pad & am now unmarked after a day at the range. I have to crawl the stock to see thru the scope, but that's OK.

Bench technique matters too. I usually shoot free recoil or minimal touch with lighter calibers from the bench, a little firmer hold with the middle weights, & with definite firm shoulder contact (now with a pad) 338 & above. Still checking 2nd hand shops for a low drummer's stool.

Pistol is a whole 'nuther thing. Same thing only different. Anticipation is fun to watch when the chamber comes up empty. "Dont push" the old jarhead used to say... "Take yer time, son" the old police chief used to tell me until conscious action became habit... most of the time.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
Shooting from a benchrest, a 7 RM is fine, a .300 WSM gets my attention and may push my shoulder back far enough to sometimes loosen my palm from the grip but is still OK. However a .300 Win is like another plateau, bothersome, and makes me realize a few more shots and I'll have a sore shoulder, but I'm a small frame guy.
PJ

ATTA boy !! I don’t know personally ANYONE that is 82 YO and still shooting
CF rifles much less “ANYTHING” close to a 375 HH !!!!!!!!!!!

You Go Guy ! WOW

Jerry
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
Was at the range today with a SIL, getting him ready for elk season. He had a (1903A3) custom-built .300WM his had belonged to his grandfather and a Savage .30-06. I took my Ruger rifles in .280 Rem, .300WM and .338WM.

I think something went wonky in the Weaver scope on his .300. It would shoot a couple shots close together, then a 8” 3-shot group. We didn’t have time to sort it out so I had him shoot my Ruger .300WM. Rang the steel at 400 and 500, barely missed the steel at 600. He will be taking it elk hunting and we’ll figure out the problem with his rifle later.

Really enjoyed shooting my .280 Rem with a 150AB @ 2898fps. Ringing the steel was child play at 400 and 500 while 600 was a bit iffy due to the wind. About 19 ft-lbs recoil for the .280 Rem, 28 for the .300WM with 175g LRX and 32 for the .338WM with a 225g AB.

All the Ruger rifles were shooting fine but the lower recoil of the .280 sure made it more pleasant to shoot. While my SIL carts my .300WM around the mountains, the lighter and lighter recoiling .280 Rem is what I’ll be carrying.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
Recoil? Design and fit of a stock was never made clearer to me when I built a .35 Whelen for a guy, and shot it same day, same loads with my own .35. Mine was built in the '60's, somewhat using the principle of Roy Weatherby's designs, minus the chrome wheels and pinstriping. The one I built for the guy was a so called "Classic straight comb". Put a Pachmayr on the new one, mine had an old hard rubber pad. A difference of night and day between the comfort level of the two rifles. Too bad the the old triangular forend and full comb slope away style has fallen out of style, they are a joy to shoot on a kicker, although many here would deny the Whelen is a kicker.
Posted By: Centurion75 Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
For me it depends on the recoil pad. My .270 has a plastic recoil pad on it that thumps me when I shoot it.
But I shot my buddies model 70 300 wm which has a nice squishy rubber pad and the recoil gave no problems. Same goes for another friends 1895 45/70 with a pachmyer pad on it.
Posted By: scoony Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
I have a Ruger #1 in 338WM that had the old hard thin pad. It was a brute to shoot. I was catching my self flinching a lot. The recoil plus the trigger makes that rilfe hard to shoot, so I really had to focus. I managed 32 rounds last weekend and that was painful. I did manage some 1" groups with factory Barnes Ammo. My handloads were a different story, but I am working on that. I just put a Limbsaver on it the other day and give it another try next week.

I had another 338WM that had a muzzle brake and that was easy to shoot. I could go through 60 rounds without a hitch.

A 308 is easy peasy, a 30-06 is not bad, never shot a 300 win mag, but that 338 win mag is tough.
scoony

A LOT has to do with Stock & Recoil Pad.

I <HAD> a Ruger 77 OG tanger in 338 WM....same thin red pad.....

WORST kicking rifle I've ever shot. It hurt every time I shot it.
My 8 RM actually did NOT hurt, shooting 5 grs less bullet 220 vs 225 PLUS more powder PLUS more vel.

That 'concrete' red pad is a FAUX recoil pad aka FAKE.

It went down the road so FAST that it kicked up dust. grin.

You are not ALONE

Jerry

Posted By: CRS Re: Recoil survey - 10/24/20
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Cheek slap will usually induce a flinch because the face isn't designed to absorb recoil. .......

When set up right recoil up through 375's really doesn't bother me much. I notice it but I'm not sure it effects my shooting much....at least for the limited number of bigger rounds I shoot.

I do have a little TC Cherokee 45 caliber muzzleloader that pops my right cheeckbone like a stiff jab. It's an attention getter..... I killed my first deer with that rifle many years ago so I'll probably never sell it...but I also may never shoot it again.....

I had a CZ hogback in 375 H&H that battered my cheek pretty good. A friend now owns that rifle. Does not bother him.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Recoil survey - 10/25/20
The hardest recoiling rifles I have ever benched were a 375 H&H and a maxed out 45-70. I didn't enjoy it at all. They induced recoil headaches from hell. I could force myself not to flinch though and I got obnoxious groups with the 45-70. I have had 5 shooting shoulder surgeries. A 6.5 PRC is the hardest hitting chambering I have now, and I don't see any need to go beyond that.

We used to have to qualify with a Remington 870. After 25 rounds of full-house 00 buck, I was ready to tap out.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Recoil survey - 10/25/20
i hunt with a 257 Weatherby Mag. i can still handle a 300 Win mag. and that`s my limit now days ,i also have a Savage 220 20 gauge bolt shotgun we use in the slug zone i no longer ever want to shoot this shotgun the recoil is just nasty i seems worse than my 458 Lott rifle .
Posted By: hookeye Re: Recoil survey - 10/25/20
I have a Steyr Prohunter in .30-06.
Heavy rifle, got the softer pad for it.
It bumps, but aint bad at all.
I'd call it comfy.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Recoil survey - 10/25/20
Worst recoil experience..........Mossberg 835.

Tried 2 3/4" and 3" slugs, sabots...........shot like total crap.
First the rail didn't converge with the bore, so ran out of scope adj.
Fixed that and it still sucked.
Rough bore.
Polished that a bit after cleaning and still sucked.
Finally was usable w 3" reg WW fosters.
No 3.5" slugs at the time.
2 days............90 slugs from the bench.
Ouchy.

Took the 541T HB from the cabinet and was checking something, hurt to even shoulder it LOL
Deep down in the joint, just sore as heck.

Killed a couple deer and sold it.
Posted By: mathman Re: Recoil survey - 10/25/20
I was shooting one of my 308's this afternoon with ammo approximating LC M852 Match rounds. In that rifle (Rem 700 XCR CT) it's still a fun all day shooter.
Posted By: CRS Re: Recoil survey - 10/25/20
3.5 inch turkey loads are just plain brutal when testing patterns. Never seem to notice when hunting. crazy
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Recoil survey - 10/25/20
I’ll go seconds (or thirds) on the 3.5” mossberg with turkey loads as being the worst recoil experience I’ve had.
Posted By: mathman Re: Recoil survey - 10/25/20
A light coach gun double with a knife edge comb and hard buttplate is pretty rough with turkey magnums.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Recoil survey - 10/25/20
All the magnums are gone, not pleasant anymore and I don't really need the extra power. I have one "big" rifle left. A 9.3X62 CZ 550. After 10 rounds from the bench I am done, I will start to flinch. In the field I don't even really notice the recoil. Then again I'm not taking more than two shots at the most. I will say I have never had a deer go more than 20 yards when hit with the rifle. Light 232g bullets.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Recoil survey - 10/25/20
Another nasty one was the browning a bolt slug. 3” slugs were no fun. A limbsaver helped ... a little.
Posted By: BCHunter666 Re: Recoil survey - 10/25/20
Back when I was 28 yrs old I shot my then new 340 weatherby , 20 rounds off a bench rest. My nose started bleeding on my way home and ended up at a doctors office with whiplash.. guess who sold a weatherby. For several weeks after I was all healed up,I was flinching with a 10/22 ruler.
Posted By: Condition Yellow Re: Recoil survey - 10/25/20
A light coach gun double with a knife edge comb and hard buttplate is pretty rough with turkey magnums.

Yep. I was shooting Cowboy Action several years ago, and borrowed a double coach gun for one string. I loaded two high brass #4 shells because that was all I had. Rushing through the stage, I hit both triggers at the same time. It rang my bell something fierce. That was the first time in my life I've actually been stunned. I wouldn't do that again on a bet.
Posted By: jwall Re: Recoil survey - 10/25/20
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I've noticed that some days I can't shoot for schitt even with small cartridges, and that some days I have little-to-no recoil tolerance.

As I've aged I've more frequently run into the some days are better than others phenomenon.

Guys that "EFFECT" or AFFECT shows up in more than shooting.

I've experienced it riding Enduro Trails, MX (motocross), and Hammering Nails... and other things too.

" Some days are diamonds, Some days are stone " ; our mental, physical, & emotional 'states' are not always the same.

Jerry
Posted By: elkaddict Re: Recoil survey - 10/25/20
As I’ve aged, I’ve become more recoil sensitive. Still, I’m able to do what I’ve got to do. I’m shooting lighter rifles (T3x in 3006/270/270wsm) and find the recoil more noticeable than heavier rifles in the 338/300 mag range. While I’ve never noticed recoil hunting, I sure notice it working up loads in my 340/7STW. My compromise is I do load development with a benchmaster Cadillac rifle rest, then confirm poi over a bag with a light hold mimicking hunting conditions. I do this because I’ve found the bench master shoots and inch or two lower than free recoiling off a bag. My most uncomfortable guns? 3.5” turkey loads, and a 35whelen in a 7600 with a steel butt plate that sends 225GK at 2725. Back when my do everything rifle was a 340, I fought and won the mind over recoil battle. I still can shoot it sub moa, but it’s not as fun. I have learned that when I’m in a rough spot health wise and hurting (all too frequent these days), it’s not a good day to work on testing loads, even for the standard rounds. One funny thing: the docs have me on a heavy dose of blood thinners. I’ve gotten really funny reactions with the bruising in my shoulder that often leaks down into my upper arm....they think I must have been in a car accident. When I tell them I’ve been shooting, they look at me in disbelief:)
Posted By: mitchellmountain Re: Recoil survey - 10/25/20
Before I discovered recoil pads my limit was somewhere below 300wm. With a good soft recoil pad I have no problem with the 300wm, and that is where I have topped out so I can’t say if I can go higher with no effect. Shot some stiff loads from my 45-70 too with no problem.
Posted By: JPro Re: Recoil survey - 10/25/20
My limit for reasonably decent shooting is in the neighborhood of a stout 30-06 load in a light sporter. My heavier 7mmRM, lighter 7mm SAUM, and downloaded 338WM are likely right in that zone. I keep a 99cent flip-flop in my range bag (sole only) and it’s handy as a thin “bonus pad” those times when a rifle feels punchy.
Posted By: Old_Crab Re: Recoil survey - 10/25/20
30-06 and down are enjoyable to shoot... no flinch.
Larger than that is generally a bad idea for me.... not so fun, and the flinch will probably show up.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Recoil survey - 10/25/20
I can bench rest my 30-06 and put a dozen or so rounds downrange. With the unbraked 340 Weatherby I am only good for about three shots from the bench. So I'd say the truth lies in the middle
Posted By: shootsacreed Re: Recoil survey - 10/26/20
My upper limit is 30-06ish. I used one for the past three years, hated every minute until I got a 6.5 Creed. I can accurately shoot the 30-06and scored on three deer, all one shot kills. My nephew wanted it and I let it go. He likes it so all is good. I really believe my lack of recoil tolerance was my early exposure to a 30-06, 7 Mag when I was 140 pounds soaking wet.
Posted By: hanco Re: Recoil survey - 10/26/20
I have several 300’s. They don’t bother me much to check zero, shoot deer or pigs. If I want to shoot a lot, I use something smaller.
Posted By: KU_Geo Re: Recoil survey - 10/26/20
In sub 7lbs rifles, enjoyment usually stops to drop off around 270win with fast loads of 150gr bullets. As rifles weight increases, i find bigger cartridges are enjoyable to shoot. 8lbs is about rifle for a 300win Mag with 180gr bullets. I have no desire to shoot light guns in cartridges greater larger than a 30-06.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Recoil survey - 10/26/20
I think it’s as simple as some can and some can’t. 243 or 338 RUM, if they flinch, they’ll likely flinch with both. Recoil or simply target panic.

I often have to slow down and run some dryfires.
22lr is a great training tool.
Posted By: strosfann Re: Recoil survey - 10/26/20
As many posters here have stated previously the design and fit of the stock plays a significant role in how recoil is felt/tolerated. I once had a 6.5 lb 300 WSM that actually fit me well but the recoil was still snappy and muzzle tended to flip a lot. I could shoot it pretty well for 20 or so rounds but groups would suffer after that. The worst I ever shot was a 338 Win Mag with an ill-fitting stock and not enough heft - it was just miserable to shoot off the bench.

I notice that shooters of smaller stature tend to roll with the recoil better than bigger people do. I’m a decent sized guy at 6’4/270ish and I tend to stand my ground against recoil and probably feel it more than someone who is more easily displaced.
Posted By: Sam_H Re: Recoil survey - 10/26/20
Originally Posted by strosfann
I notice that shooters of smaller stature tend to roll with the recoil better than bigger people do.

Astute observation. Can usually tell who is going to get their snot loosened at a shooting bench. If a shooter seems receptive, will suggest they get more vertical. Sometimes lower bench/chair. Sometimes elevate rests. Whatever gets them there. Anatomy and stock dimensions dictate head position. Sometimes eye relief of a particular scope/mount setup has too much to say about it. Will sometimes suggest "alterations", as is fundamental to the shotgunner.
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: Recoil survey - 10/26/20
Bench shooting skews peoples opinions about recoil from the magnums. Especially if they are only wearing a T Shirt on a hot summer day. Put on a padded carhart jacket and shoot only a few off the bench to check zero. Afterwards just hunt. Shooting at game standing or sitting you will never notice the recoil.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Recoil survey - 10/26/20
Muzzle brakes also affect shooter's perception of recoil. The concussion feels very different than it does on non-braked rifles.
Posted By: keith Re: Recoil survey - 10/26/20
Wearing electronic ear muffs is a lot easier than absorbing recoil from hard kickers...reducing the recoil to a 243 Win level for 7 Mags makes for some very accurate shooting.

From my experience, the less a rifle kicks, the more ALL shooters like to shoot that rifle! Take a 6.5 Creed and add a muzzle break, now you are approaching 223 recoil.....at least in their mind. Electronic ear muffs allow you to hear 5x what you would normally hear in the woods....a revelation to most on what they had been missing!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Recoil survey - 10/26/20
Focus and mind over matter:

450NE 3 1/4" 480gr softs & solids @ 2100 fps load testing off bench:

340 Weatherby;

Posted By: jwall Re: Recoil survey - 10/26/20
[quote=strosfann]I notice that shooters of smaller stature tend to roll with the recoil better than bigger people do.

Astute observation. Can usually tell who is going to get their snot loosened at a shooting bench.
If a shooter seems receptive, will suggest they get more vertical. Sometimes lower bench/chair. Sometimes elevate rests.

Anatomy and stock dimensions dictate head position.

Sometimes eye relief of a particular scope/mount setup has too much to say about it.
-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-xx--

I posted ALONG this track earlier in this thread. Getting RELAXED and LOOSE before pulling trigger.

In another thread, don't remember when, I said that on Mags I LIKE 'higher' mounted scopes...NOT the normal "theorem"
I said it keeps me more vertical and less prone to get the Scarlet Crescent !

Here's 1 example of MY set up on Black Shadow, 300 W MAG.

ALSO contrary to another 'theorem' ... I've been shooting 3" high at 100 yds for A LONG time.

Between 100-----300 yds the higher scope does NOT affect trajectory. MIND you, I'm talking about HUNTING not
COMPETITION shooting.

humorously .... Don't Knock It Till You Try It.

Jerry
Posted By: moosemike Re: Recoil survey - 10/26/20
Higher mounted scopes have worked to lessen felt recoil for me too Jerry.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Recoil survey - 10/26/20
I started with the 270 and went to others.

I have a 45-70 and like it better with 325 grain cast than factory.

The 338 lapua was not bad as well as the 30-378.

Thing is the noise from the brake was a turn off for me.
Posted By: jwall Re: Recoil survey - 10/26/20
Originally Posted by moosemike
Higher mounted scopes have worked to lessen felt recoil for me too Jerry.

BINGO ! BINGO ! yep.

Jerry
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Recoil survey - 10/26/20
Wow. When I clicked on this thread I said to myself, "self, I wonder how many tough guys are going to be posting what a bunch of wussies everybody else is". What a pleasant surprise to see this thread, so far, filled with reasoned and rational analysis.

For myself, even though I THINK I handle heavy recoilers well, I do KNOW that the harder it recoils the less consistent I am and the less rounds I can fire comfortably. The older I get, the less recoil I like. Maybe that is wisdom, maybe it is experience and maybe it is wussitude. I don't know. As propellants and bullet construction improve, I THINK, "less is more", to a certain extent, is true. How much less is up to the individual.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Recoil survey - 10/26/20
Sure, everyone shoots lighter recoiling rifles better and more consistently. On the other hand, who is counting? In how many situations are you ever going to shoot more than three shots? Most of the time, you don’t shoot more than that or much more than that in a whole season. Can I shoot a rifle well enough to put ONE round in the vital zone at a range in which I will be shooting? If so, all that talk about consistency and all that is just talk.

But for all that, a 30-06 recoils lightly enough for me as to be boringly consistent.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Recoil survey - 10/26/20
The other angle here is that you don't need 100 percent of your 30-06's potential for most hunting situations. For example I shoot a 150 grain bullet at 2600fps and it will do almost anything I would ever need.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Recoil survey - 10/26/20
For those of you who get headaches or concussion type pain try a mouth guard. The kind football players might use. You boil in water and fit it to your mouth. When I was shooting from the bench alot for a job it was one of the first things I got and it helps a bunch.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Recoil survey - 10/26/20
Originally Posted by viking
The older I get the less I like recoil.

I would rather shoot my 243 or 257 Roberts than my 6.5-300.

Heck, I bet your 6.5 x 300 would rather have you shoot your 243 or 257 Roberts also....
Posted By: Willto Re: Recoil survey - 10/27/20
Spend a day each year patterning and sighting in a 12 gauge with a variety of three and a half inch magnum turkey loads and you will lose all fear of any rifle cartridge that isn't suitable to stop a Cape Buffalo charge. The most powerful rifle cartridge that I have personally fired is a 375 H&H magnum. It was a joy to shoot in comparison. I own a 30-06, 7mm mag and 45-70. I have never had any recoil induced problems with shooting any of them.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Recoil survey - 10/27/20
A 378 Bee without a brake is my upper limit.

Very disciplined style is required from me here.
Posted By: SeeDepp Re: Recoil survey - 10/27/20
For me, the rifle configuration makes a difference. In bolt sporters, the 30-06 is the limit. I tried a 35 Whelen, a cartridge I'd no need for but the craving that arose from its commerical marketing in the 1980s. Finally in 2009 I got one in a Ruger. It was more than I needed at the shoulder.

The 30-06 is more than I enjoy in a bolt gun, but I have no problems with an afternoon of .308 in a FAL or G3. The M14 is unpleasant to me and has me flinching. I cannot explain it.

For hunting and general fun in centerfire, .257 Roberts always wins.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Recoil survey - 10/27/20
for years i have read that the recoil from a 30-06 is at the top of what most men can tolerate. seems about right to me. i don't know anyone who likes recoil. the worst kicker i've owned was a rem 700 in 300 rum. the thing was a beast. couldn't sell it fast enough. i've got a 300 win mag but will only use it for nilgai. as soon as that hunt ends that rifle goes back into the safe. the 308win is my huckleberry. ymmv.
Posted By: urbaneruralite Re: Recoil survey - 10/28/20
I don't enjoy anything more than 30/06, 270 WSM, etc. More than that just requires more concentration.
Posted By: Lw308 Re: Recoil survey - 10/28/20
I'm 31 and about 150 pounds, I have shot a pile of .308 with and without a brake. Needless to say I try to kill everything with a .223 Rem. I am very recoil sensitive... call me a weenie if you like. I'm all about patients and shot placement in my hunting situations. *disclaimer* largest animal I harvest is a Whitetail.

<edit>
I also own a couple Magnum rifles and several long actions as well. If I'm feeling lazy I will switch to my 25-06.
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Recoil survey - 10/28/20
With the right fitting rifle up to 500N double. But really anything above about 30-06 and you start holding correctly every time 😎

Worst cartridges I ever shot were when the gun or rifle didn’t fit, no matter the cartridge down to and including the 243.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Recoil survey - 10/28/20
I’ll take a big push over a sharp kick any day. Things like 45/70 modest loads and 375 h&h factory loads seem to be a big push to me rather than the sharp kick of a say 7mag. Also stock design factors in, you have to find what fits you best. Melvin Forbes stock design fits me great and I can shoot 30-06 in it with zero problems however I had a Remington Ti take off stock put on a regular 700 in 30-06 and that stock hurt me to shoot.
Posted By: Jevyod Re: Recoil survey - 10/28/20
I have an older savage 110 in 30-06 that with 165 grain bullets at 2850 fps was too much. But a 358 Win with 200 grain bullets at 2400 is almost the same recoil by the numbers, but has a good pad on it, and is much more pleasant to shoot. I also had a 1895 SBL in 45-70 for a while. A 420 grain cast lead slug at 1550 fps will recoil about as much as I can handle without flinching. By the numbers, it recoils quite a bit more than the 06, but I can handle that easier.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Recoil survey - 10/29/20
Originally Posted by saskfox

Stock fit is key. I had a 9 1/4 lb 30-06 that was no joy to shoot. I had another 30-06 built for me with a fitted stock that weighs just over 7 lb. With the same 180gr load at about 2800fps, the 7lb rifle has significantly less felt recoil (it also has a better recoil pad). I also have a 375H&H with the identical stock dimensions that I can reel off 20 rounds off the bench without any problems and I'm no masochist.
Posted By: AussieGunWriter Re: Recoil survey - 10/30/20
After owning a couple of John Rigby's and shooting and handling Westley Richards and other British game rifles as well as having many years on the biggest Weatherby's, I can state that Blacktailers' suggestion of "Stock fit is key" is of far greater importance and relevance that can be stated in words.

There is no factor more overlooked in rifles where "factory" is considered inadequate and aftermarket stocks picked on maker, model and color.

Rifle stocks are not fashion statements!

I urge going into a large gun shop and shouldering as many rifles as possible and an really paying attention to comfort, sight alignment, balance, thumb from face, cantering comfort, and especially the shape and length of the pistol grip which is never spoken of by the experts and is a huge influence on stock handling comfort.
Posted By: MS9x56 Re: Recoil survey - 11/15/20
I have a CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62 that I found is one of the most accurate guns I own. I have a lights weight Ruger American in 30-06 that kicks like a mule but it has a great trigger and is the most accurate gun I own.I found as I got older I gravitated to bigger calibers and heavier weight bullets. Guess I am just a contrarian. My son says Dad why do you shoot those cannons? I just like them. That and I don't like tracking critters and bigger bullets lead to shorter recoveries. I am considering a Shilo Sharpes in 50-110 next. Gotta save my pennies.
Posted By: Docbar Re: Recoil survey - 11/15/20
I’m not sure. I have a 300 WSM that is fine, but it has a good stock with a soft pad. I had a 7 R.M. when I was younger that was awful, but that could have been stock design or my inexperience. I’m not afraid of using a PAST shoulder pad though, and I agree with others who said the stock slapping their cheek is worse than hitting their shoulder.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Recoil survey - 11/15/20
30-06 level is my comfort max.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Recoil survey - 11/15/20
I started out deer hunting as a skinny azz 14 year old kid, shooting my daddy's Remington 760 pump in 30-06, using 180 grain bullets. No ear protection, and the rifle had no recoil pad. My ears would ring for a week, and my shoulder would feel like it had been hit with a concrete block. As a result, I became very sensitive to recoil. Over the years I've figured out that I don't need to use guns with a lot of recoil to hunt with here where I am.

For years I deer hunted with a 270, and though the recoil was certainly manageable, I'd begin to notice it after 10 rounds or so. But, I shot that rifle good enough to kill a truckload or two of whitetails, so in the field recoil was no factor. Same thing with shotguns, using the 3 and 3 1/2 inch turkey loads. Some guns were absolutely brutal to shoot while patterning a load, much more so than any rifle I've ever shot. However, when hunting with those shotguns, recoil was never felt.

Anyway, over the years I've learned that I do not need guns that kick the snot of me in order to kill a deer or a turkey. I deer hunt these days with a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 243. Either will kill a deer as far as I am comfortable shooting. I hunt turkeys using a 20 gauge, and have found that it's more about the pattern and the shells, than the gauge of the gun. Now, if I was hunting bigger game, or lived in a place where getting eaten by a large critter was a possibility, I would most certainly want to use a larger caliber rifle, and would consider the extra recoil as an insurance policy.
Posted By: Brad Re: Recoil survey - 11/15/20
I'll be 60 in 6 months. When I was younger I wasn't much bothered by recoil and owned all sorts of rifles up through the 375 H&H. Now I find rifles in the 308/270 recoil level is the upper limit of fun. That doesn't mean I can't still shoot heavy recoiling cartridges well, just that I find no fun in doing so, and absolutely do better, more consistent shooting with lighter recoil. And if I have learned anything over the last 30+ years, it's that on game, "cartridges are more alike than different."

My 308 Kimber MT is going to get re-barreled to 6.5 CM.
Posted By: DropTyne Re: Recoil survey - 11/15/20
Originally Posted by Brad

Whoa! Say it ain't so, Brad. That's heresy coming from you.

😆
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Recoil survey - 11/15/20
Of the firearms that I own or have owned, the hardest to least recoil, for me, as follows:

.416 Wby., Mk.V- Factory loads will rattle your teeth! It went down the road.
Mossberg 935, 3.5" with turkey loads- checking zero is no fun at all.
Ruger Hawkeye African, .375 Ruger- kind of the upper limit of tolerable for me.
Freedom Arms M83, .454 Casull, full-power loads are really hard on the wrists.
Ruger SBH and SRH, .480 Ruger- recoil is stout, but tolerable, noticeably easier on the wrists than the .454.
Browning X-Bolt, .30-06- very tolerable, with 165 gr. loads.
My .280's and .270 WSM I find easy to shoot, very manageable recoil.
.257 Wby, Mk.V- this rifle is a pussycat to shoot. Guess which of these gets used the most for deer, antelope, etc.?
Posted By: Brad Re: Recoil survey - 11/15/20
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter

Whoa! Say it ain't so, Brad. That's heresy coming from you.

😆

Ha!

But realistically, just a slightly different shaped brass cylinder.

And, my Classic Stainless SA M70 will stay a 308...
Posted By: mathman Re: Recoil survey - 11/15/20
For most of my purposes I quit loading my 308s full throttle. Because of visibility and/or terrain the shots where I deer hunt top out at 300 yards or so. So rather than 46 grains of Varget under a 165/168 grain bullet you'll most likely find me using one of several mid speed propellants to duplicate the speed range of the old LC M852 match round. Current issue 165 grain SSTs, 165/168 grain Ballistic Tips and 168 grain Berger VLDs launched at 2550-2600 fps all do the trick quite nicely.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Recoil survey - 11/15/20
I have no problem shooting my .50-90 Shiloh off the bench with some stout loads but after 10 shots from the bench with my Winchester 71 .348 with factory steel butt plate and 250 gr loads you start to feel it. Off hand no problem
Posted By: Bluecat1 Re: Recoil survey - 11/15/20
Hardest hitter in my box is a Mossberg 500 slug gun. Before New York opened the southern tier to rifles, I hated checking zero.
BRUTAL!! 3 max on the bench.
I got to the point of letting some else sight it in, me taking their word for it. That thing kills outa one end, wounds on the other!
Posted By: wade brown Re: Recoil survey - 11/15/20
I can comfortably shoot my 375 Ruger often 20 rounds in a session in an unbraked 700, I hunt bear with it so it does not have a brake. I bought a 416 Taylor in a Mauser 98 from a gunsmith. The owner never picked the 416 up after being rebarrled for 3 years I bought it for the cost of the Douglas blank, looking back not a good deal. I took the 416 to the range once and it will remain in my safe, maybe leave it out so if someone breaks in they take it.

But when I shoot any of my 223's I leave the range thinking that was a lot of fun, I would not shoot my 375 Ruger for fun. I shoot my 300-375 Ruger which is well braked often when I shoot at 1000 yards it is fun to shoot although I don't think I would like the muzzle blast enough to shoot it more than 40-50 rounds in a session. I never intend hunting with the 300-375 so I put a brake on it. I built up a couple of 338 Lapuas which were also well-braked and they allowed you to self spot shots from 600 yards out so the recoil was not bad. I found the muzzle blast of the 338 Lapua to be fatiguing after about 20 rounds but the recoil was not an issue.

All of this on a shoulder that has been rebuilt 3 times (non related to shooting) so your mileage may vary.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Recoil survey - 11/16/20
I'll be 60 in 6 months. When I was younger I wasn't much bothered by recoil and owned all sorts of rifles up through the 375 H&H. Now I find rifles in the 308/270 recoil level is the upper limit of fun. That doesn't mean I can't still shoot heavy recoiling cartridges well, just that I find no fun in doing so, and absolutely do better, more consistent shooting with lighter recoil. And if I have learned anything over the last 30+ years, it's that on game, "cartridges are more alike than different."

This is where I'm at. I'm 54 and still having lingering issues from a concussion. Though my Kimber MT is staying a 7mm-08. grin
Posted By: Mjduct Re: Recoil survey - 11/16/20
I’ve shot a lot of stuff 378 Weatherby was a rough one but the scariest was a 338 federal ruger frontier rifle. Little 16” bastard just punched no give in the laminate stock.

A 16” 45-70 Marlin lever gun with the high power buffalo bore stuff didn’t kick so much but even with ear plugs and muffs it made me dizzy. Guess it was the muzzle blast/concussion.

I’ve got a 30-06 Kimber montana that is a scope murderer. It’s killed 3 leupolds so far but the 300 WSM Montana doesn’t feel as bad for some reason. It wears a nightforce so I don’t think I’ll have any issues any time soon.

I mostly shoot a bow now. Nice thing about a bow is the bigger badder arrow you load it up with the less vibration/ hand shock you get smile
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Recoil survey - 11/16/20
I’ll throw my two cents in. Like many I believe stock design is key. I’ve had several 30-06’ rifles that were uncomfortable as hell to shoot. One being a CLR and an old school M700 ADL that had a hard plastic butt plate. I have had a Ruger No. 1 in 45-70 that I loaded rather heavy and it never bothered me. I currently run a Ruger 77 build in 35 Whelen with a stout load (59.5 grains) of RL15 and 250’s. It wears a Hogue stock with a good pad. It’s a pleasure to shoot and bumps about the same as my 270. My 35 Whelen is my go to but, if I had to do a commercial off the shelf do everything from vermin to elk I’d do a 6.5 Creedmoor in a 700 Mountain SS. Why beat yourself up. Or I’d just run my 270 and never look back.
Posted By: Dogger Re: Recoil survey - 11/16/20
I had a Steven’s single shot 12 gauge with a hard plastic buttplate. It had I think a 32” barrel. Fired three 3” slugs out of it and called it quits it hurt so bad. Never noticed it though when shooting a slug through a deer the following week.

An M1A with steel butt plate throwing milspec 7.62 hurts up against my bony shoulder. I’m not even good for a magazine.

My 300 H&H Browning Medallion is pleasant with Hornady 180 grain factory loads... the rifle weighs almost 9lb scoped
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Recoil survey - 11/18/20
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

The problem for the last 10 years or so is the headache I get after shooting.

Try taking headache medication before going to the range, it works much better than waiting until you already have a headache.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Recoil survey - 11/18/20
I am 69 years old and have had two vertebra fused in my neck. I have a lightweight 338-06, a 35 whelen and a couple of 375 H&H's and I still shoot them on occasion but they hurt my neck and back. I have always loved the "boom" and "jolt" a rifle gave upon firing but as age has crept in I find the 30-06 and down cartridges more comfortable to shoot a lot.

Two or three shots of the big boys is all I want today.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Recoil survey - 11/18/20
I've settled in with the 7mm-08, 6.5x55, 260, and 243. Don't see enough difference to warrant bigger recoil chamberings. Shoulder, neck issues don't bide well with recoil.

g
Posted By: Calvin Re: Recoil survey - 11/18/20
Depends on weight of a rifle and scope and pad.

I am not scared to shoot a braked magnum. You can say they screw up your hearing but if it forces you to wear hearing protection you are better off for it.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Recoil survey - 11/18/20
I'm pretty recoil tolerant (still). No big issues with shooting a 450NE of the bench...yet
Posted By: mathman Re: Recoil survey - 11/18/20
How many rounds in a session?
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Recoil survey - 11/18/20
I’ve actually become more insensitive to recoil as I age. Big stuff doesn’t bother me at all. Now, I hate noise and excessive muzzle blast bothers me.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Recoil survey - 11/18/20
I’ve had two shoulder surgeries, but I can still shoot my .338 WM just fine. Now my .300 WM or my Tikka T3 Lite in .300 WSM, they both kick more than my .338WM, but both guns are lighter than the .338 as well. The older I get though, the more I enjoy shooting my ARs and my .260 Rem in a Savage 11. I hardly notice the kick at all in those guns. I even shoot my .308 more in the past year or so it seems.
Posted By: huntstat Re: Recoil survey - 11/19/20
I thought recoil did not bother me... until I loaded up a .54 caliber Hawken rifle with some Triple 7 and a Maxi Ball and shot it off the bench. No ,375 or 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge turkey load ever kicked me so hard that I couldn't breathe or speak for a few moments. The Hawken did.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Recoil survey - 11/19/20
It depends on the stock design and rifle weight.
Ruger boat paddle stocks are torture devices.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Recoil survey - 11/19/20
Originally Posted by Calvin
Depends on weight of a rifle and scope and pad.

I am not scared to shoot a braked magnum. You can say they screw up your hearing but if it forces you to wear hearing protection you are better off for it.

That's exactly it. Guys that dont wear hearing protection while shooting are damaging their hearing, period.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Recoil survey - 11/19/20
Originally Posted by Hudge
I’ve had two shoulder surgeries, but I can still shoot my

I've been noticing lately, shoulder surgeries being mentioned on recoil threads. What is the cause of most shoulder surgery in senior people? I'm 75 and also able to still shoot, but often wake up with a sore shoulder from sleeping on my side. Is this a preview for surgery?
Posted By: jonesmd4 Re: Recoil survey - 11/19/20
I enjoy shooting large caliber rifles and regularly take to the range a Ruger African 9.3 x 62, Marlin 444, and a Ruger No 1 45-70. I don't load any of them to the max, wear a Past shield, and generally pair them with a 22 Hornet, 221 Fireball, 223, 327 Federal or a .22 rimfire. Twenty rounds of one of the big ones is enough for one session, but 50 to 75 of the smaller rounds is the norm.

For many years my go to deer hunting rifle where I could use bottle necked rounds was a Ruger No 1 A in 30-06. I found that I didn't really need a 165 grain Hornady Interlock bullet at 2950 fps in the woods and few open fields where I hunt. The past few years I've migrated to a Savage 99 in 300 Savage; Barnes 130 grain Tipped TSX at 2950 shoots plenty flat and is easy on the shoulder.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Recoil survey - 11/19/20
How many rounds in a session?

At least ten.
Posted By: DeoVindice Re: Recoil survey - 11/19/20
I can shoot 40 rounds of .270 at a sitting without flinching. I don't own any rifles heavier than than.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Recoil survey - 11/19/20
My kid got a great deal on a close out Weatherby Vanguard .300 Weatherby Magnum and I still remember the stricken look on his face the first time he touched that thing off. He uses a .270 now. There might be a lesson in there for some of you.
Posted By: las Re: Recoil survey - 11/19/20
I got soured on 7mm Mag when someone gave me a Mossberg in that caliber. I sold it half way through the first box, and have had distaste for 7 Mags since.

Yeah, I know- that just ain't logical....

There was this one 7 Mag Husquavarna that came through the shop. Sweet shooter for recoil, and made one ragged 5 shot hole at 100. Bastard wouldn't sell it to me..... smile
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Recoil survey - 11/19/20
It's all about stock fit for me. Tikka T3 rifles even in 243 jump up and hit me in the cheek every time and are difficult to shoot well. On the other hand, a Ruger M77 boat paddle stock 30-06 with 180 grain handloads does not seem to bother me at all, and some find that stock configuration painful to shoot.
Posted By: WAM Re: Recoil survey - 11/19/20
While I realize there is no one-size-fits-all in rifle stocks, the Weatherby style stocks with the cast off seem to work for me mitigating felt recoil. Even so, the 6.5-300, 7mm, and .300 Weatherby’s are the upper end of recoil for me. My 35 Whelen with BDL stock is not too bad unless I over do it at the range. When those become an issue for me, I’ll just keep on with one of my 7x57s and .257 Roberts and maybe some lighter .30-06 loads.
Posted By: devnull Re: Recoil survey - 11/19/20
Worst recoiling rifle for me was a boat-paddle Rugger M77 in .30-06. The wood stocked M77 in 7 Mag felt like less of a kicker. I loathe boat-paddle stocks from a recoil perspective and got rid of the '06.
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Recoil survey - 11/19/20

That is a complicated question. The rifle, stock and load make a lot of difference. My larger chamberings all have Decelerator pads and that helps.

I would say I have no problem with my .308, .30-06's and below with the exception of my 84L Montana. It can sting a bit if you are careless. My 7x61 S&H is rather heavy and is no problem.

My .300 Magnums are where it is a problem for me. The .308 Normas both kick way more than I would have expected. It is quick and sharp. My .300 Weatherby is reasonably hard kicking but no more so than my .338.

My .338 Win is fine up to and including 225 grain loads. The recoil seems much worse with 250 grain loads. In no case does it seem as hard to managre as the .300 Mags.

My .35 Whelen has a relatively strong recoil similar to my 84L Montana with 250's. With 225's and 200's it is more of a push.

Moving up the line My .375 H&H Talkeetna is easy to control. I have only used it wiit 250-260 grain loads however.

i also have an 1885 in .45-70. with factory level loads it is a pussycat. With other loads, not so much.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Recoil survey - 11/19/20

I turned 60 last July ....... Everything you said, I could have wrote myself.

My "big" gun now is a Remington 721 in 300H&H and it pretty heavy. If I tire of that, I will fall back to something in 7mm, either a 275Rigby or 280Remington or both. I considered selling the 280 and having a 7x57 done in a synthetic stock to go with the wood & walnut 275Rigby.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Recoil survey - 11/19/20
Fit is everything when it comes to mitigation of perceived recoil.

The Rigby sez so.
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Recoil survey - 11/19/20
I've never had a issue shooting big guns,biggest being 340 wtby mag. But now an old friend wants me to sight in his ruger #1 in 458 win mag. I think that will get my attention and might not get it sighted in. He's 74 and will never shoot it and never has but wants it zeroed.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Recoil survey - 11/19/20
Originally Posted by DANNYL
I've never had a issue shooting big guns,biggest being 340 wtby mag. But now an old friend wants me to sight in his ruger #1 in 458 win mag. I think that will get my attention and might not get it sighted in. He's 74 and will never shoot it and never has but wants it zeroed.

I bought a Ruger #1 in 458 Lott because the deal was right. I never could bring myself to shoot it. And I do have a 340 Weatherby and I like that.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Recoil survey - 01/22/21
One thing I’ll add is that not only stock design makes a difference but so does shooting positions. At over six foot tall if I have to shoot off a low picnic table that causes me to creep up on the scope and have the stock up on my collar bone rather than in the shoulder pocket, things can get uncomfortable quickly.
Posted By: bluefish Re: Recoil survey - 01/22/21
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Some guys can... My threshold is somewhere around 375H&H levels. I'll shoot my 338wm for 40 rounds off the bench in one outing, then shoot my 30-06 and creedmoor all day long if need be. Some guys are like my buddy Troy:

So, yes some have a higher tolerance for recoil. As you can see, my buddy Troy doesn't like shooting a lightweight rifle, even when chambered for a small cartridge, such as the 6.5 CM...

I don't get all worked up about what a guy can do off a bench with a hunting rifle. Sure, nice groups but that is off a rest, no? Show me what you can do from field positions. Once the rifle is sighted in who the hell cares? Seems pointless.
Posted By: strosfann Re: Recoil survey - 01/22/21
I had my 12 yo son with me at the range last weekend. He asked if he could shoot the 30-06 that I’d just mounted a new scope on. This kid is 5 ft and 95 lbs soaking wet so I was a little concerned but relented. We were still at the 50 for initial sight in and he put the first two shots fired into a jagged single hole! We moved to 100 and he put 3 into a .8” group. At least for now recoil doesn’t seem to be an issue for him. He just rolled with it.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Recoil survey - 01/22/21

Depends on how many sandbags I have between my shoulder and the recoil pad.........
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Recoil survey - 01/22/21
Originally Posted by WAM
While I realize there is no one-size-fits-all in rifle stocks, the Weatherby style stocks with the cast off seem to work for me mitigating felt recoil. Even so, the 6.5-300, 7mm, and .300 Weatherby’s are the upper end of recoil for me. My 35 Whelen with BDL stock is not too bad unless I over do it at the range. When those become an issue for me, I’ll just keep on with one of my 7x57s and .257 Roberts and maybe some lighter .30-06 loads.

A long time ago I had the opportunity to shoot a late 70's M70 in 458 and a Mark V in 460, several shots from each rifle offhand and from the bench--in my T-shirt no less.. If anything the M70 had more felt recoil. The owner of the two rifles explained to me about the cast off stock on the Mark V. In my case I'm a believer in that Weatherby stock design........
Posted By: Astrodynamicist Re: Recoil survey - 01/22/21
Agree with all the comments on stock fit, stock configuration, and shooting position. With a Winchester 1892 24" 45 Colt even relatively mild (but above traditional factory level) loads, the crescent steel butt plate was brutal. Go to "Ruger only" levels and it was punishment. After raising the front rest height and adding a rear bag rest, even the heavy loads were tolerable, though still somewhat bruising from the metal crescent. Similarly with 405 Win, at max book loads for 300 grain soft points, an 1895 Winchester with metal butt plate was unpleasant but not as punishing as the maxed out 45 Colt. The same 405 load in an 1885 High Wall with a shotgun butt and factory butt plate was no problem at all, and extremely accurate to boot. The Ruger No. 1A in 35 Whelen is no problem for me with max book loads and 225 Partitions, but a 45-70 No. 3 with even low-end "lever action" loads is punishing with that metal butt plate. For me, the most comfortable rifle I own is a No. 1A in 6.5x55, a joy to carry and shoot in any situation.
Posted By: okie john Re: Recoil survey - 01/22/21
I have a deep, abiding love for the 338 WM but the recoil is just too much. My big rifle these days is a 30-06 and I much prefer a 308 loaded to 300 Savage levels.

And stock design matters A LOT.

Okie John
Posted By: handwerk Re: Recoil survey - 01/22/21
I still shoot my 7 3/4 lbs. 300 H&H well, but part of that equation is the excellent Echol's legend stock design. In the past I've had both .338 Wm and .375 H&H and they were no fun. Now day's I hunt mostly with a 280 AI .270 or 6.5 cm, but will keep taking my 300 H&H when it comes to a dedicated elk hunt, mainly cause it's brought me a lot of luck.
Having said that I've had a separated right shoulder( shooting side) for the last 10 years as well as both my rotator cuffs are torn, and at 54 things are catching up with me.
Posted By: Igloo Re: Recoil survey - 01/23/21
Originally Posted by bluefish
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I don't get all worked up about what a guy can do off a bench with a hunting rifle. Sure, nice groups but that is off a rest, no? Show me what you can do from field positions. Once the rifle is sighted in who the hell cares? Seems pointless.

Sometimes I'll bench a rifle and shoot just to remember what a good, clean trigger squeeze and no flinch feels like. Maybe I am weird.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Recoil survey - 01/23/21
The most recoiling rifle I have is a 300 Wby. I can still shoot tight groups with it but after seven or eight rounds I'm done.
Posted By: MtnHiker Re: Recoil survey - 01/23/21
Another comment about stock. Jacked my shoulder in a ski crash. Since I had my shooting shoulder fixed I pay attention to recoil and no longer shoot above 30-06. So currently I have three .30.06s. Two stanless m77s and 700. One of the m77s has the Ruger canoe paddle skeleton stock. I love to carry it and it is ergonomic and weatherproof. But I swear that thing recoils twice as hard as the other two rifles. I could shoot the other two all day but that oem skeleton stock maye a box of 20.
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Recoil survey - 01/23/21
I use one of these: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-recoil-pad---right-hand

Every person I have known that has used them says that they make a huge difference when shooting magnums at the range.

Makes it a lot easier to hold still and just squeeze. Makes everything up to my .375 Wby fairly comfortable for me.
Posted By: msquared Re: Recoil survey - 01/23/21
I'm a big fan of the PAST Super Mag Plus recoil shield. It's the best $32 you can spend!:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002531259

They make other models. But, this is the thickest. I an am admitted sissy when it comes to recoil anymore. I use it with everything anymore, even rifles with recoil pads. It makes a HUGE difference and lets me concentrate on getting better accuracy.
Posted By: GreggH Re: Recoil survey - 01/23/21
20 rounds of my 375 H&H is enough for me. If I stop there I can go back to lesser rounds and still shoot great groups. More than that not so much.
GreggH
Posted By: 47stalker Re: Recoil survey - 01/23/21

Great question BCHunter.

Over the years I have found it depends on a few things. The day, if you are shooting that rifle for the first time, working up to a load... Recoil is a real mental game for me and if I lose the shot without thought then my shots are usually pretty decent.

I use a 9.3x62(T3) pretty regularly with 286's at 2300fps. Off the bench you feel it, but because I know the rifle well I am usually a decent shot with it. Unless, fatigue kicks in, which changes things somewhat... When hunting deer I rarely feel or remember the shot, and the deer fall over more than not, so I guess that combo works for me.

Comparing my old light 338WM to my current go-to Tikka 9.3 is like chalk and cheese. That 338 came back hard and fast, as did my old 340Wby. So I guess recoil does play a big part with my hunting over the years. I have also worked out that I prefer the slower style recoils, seen in my 9.3's.

I once had an old Sako L579 in 308Win. This rifle just didn't fit me at all and it use to slap me in the chops most shots, which gave me flinch. I soon sold it and moved onto 270WSM Tikka Lite when Tikka first introduced these. Recoil was certainly faster than the 308Win Sako but that Tikka stocks fitted me a hell of a lot better, so I shot it better.
I have owned 4 Kimber rifles, from Montana's to the Hunter and I feel these fit me well, which was evident when shooting them.

Regarding caliber and recoil. My old .17Rem Remmy BDL was hard to beat. I could watch the shots dropping foxes without any recoil. I never flinched with it. My old 243Win Sako 75 Stainless Timber certainly fitted me better than my L579. Recoil in a 243Win is what I would say is the perfect balance if one is recoil shy or doesn't care for recoil.

Whenever I develop a flinch(it happens) I always go back to my little Brno Model 2 .22LR shooting 40 grain power points.

The 308 Winchester in the right fitting stock, is a hard rifle to top!
Posted By: msquared Re: Recoil survey - 01/23/21
As others have suggested, it's not as simple as which cartridge. Stock fit, gun weight, barrel length, recoil pads, etc. all play a role in perceived recoil. Yesterday, I shot a .243 in a 600 Mohawk with a ventilated recoil pad and it was pretty soft shooting. However, I also shot a new-to-me 6mm in a heavier 700 BDL without a recoil pad, just the plastic buttplate and felt myself getting a bit flinchy after a while. Again as others have said, I like recoil less and less as I age. I'm moving to smaller cartridges and lighter bullets in the bigger ones. I can still shoot the .280 Mountain Rifle well, but would rather not shoot the .308 Model Seven.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Recoil survey - 01/23/21
Shooting at game I don't notice the recoil or the noise. I do most of my shooting with rimfires a 300 WBY, a 35 Whelen. 50 ML, or 30-06s. The Whelen and WBY are not fun to shoot several times in a row at a target. The most uncomfortable rifle I remember shooting was by buddies 54 light ML the scope always hits me. And my brother had a Model 7 .308 that just hurt to shoot any. Even one shot. I could shoot better than him and he always asked me to shoot it and check his scope for zero. I hated that thing.
Posted By: rocky_mtn Re: Recoil survey - 01/24/21
My answer would depend on variables such as stock design, recoil pad, and rifle weight. But honestly if I'm doing a ton of shooting I'd rather it be a 223. Better yet a 22lr. Not ashamed to say it.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Recoil survey - 01/24/21
Just start light and work your way up.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Recoil survey - 01/24/21
The older I get, the less recoil tolerant I am. I used to shoot 25-30 12 gauge slugs from a bench with no problem. Now, I get a headache and a stiff neck. I really appreciate my 350 Legend AR-15 for Ohio deer hunting now. My 243 and 6.5 Creedmoor get used a lot now. Sold my 300 Win mag and replaced it with a 30-06.

Ron
Posted By: scoony Re: Recoil survey - 01/24/21
I took my Ruger #1 in 338WM out to the range today. With the original thin hard rubber pad, it was brutal. 30 Rounds and my shoulder was bruised and hurting. I put on a Limbsaver pad and today, it was actually pleasant to shoot. Still recoiled, but did not hurt at all.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Recoil survey - 01/24/21
I took my Savage 114 300 Win mag to the range yesterday. After 5 shots I had enough. Shoulder still sore today. I might have to rethink this whole recoil thing. I don't seem to be as good as I once was
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Recoil survey - 01/25/21
Originally Posted by msquared
As others have suggested, it's not as simple as which cartridge. Stock fit, gun weight, barrel length, recoil pads, etc. all play a role in perceived recoil

Yes, and to this I'd add shooting position. With zeroing or testing the accuracy of rifles that boot a bit I make a point of setting myself up sitting upright behind the rest, or even kneeling behind the rest, rather than hunching down over it. That seems to make a bit of difference. You can also reduce the recoil considerably for zeroing by using a bag of shot between rifle and shooter, and I've helped a few out with this.

I've had a few rifles that really were uncomfortable to shoot though, at least at targets. I had a Mauser .30/06, with a narrow steel buttplate and narrow comb, which was quite unpleasant to shoot and left a hell of a bruise. My light little Browning .30/06 on the other hand is very easy to shoot, even firing rapid strings of shots, and I haven't found various 9.3s a problem either, including my own 9.3x74R.

Another I found a bit unpleasant was a Marlin 1895, when shot with full-house handloads. It was a pussycat with factory ammunition though. Even my Marlin 1893 could sometimes give me a wake-up, given its very narrow comb and buttplate.

On the whole I find that from about .30/06 up I prefer a recoil pad. I also would agree with those who say that you don't even notice the recoil when shooting in the field. That is my experience at least.
Posted By: asheepdog Re: Recoil survey - 02/08/21
I am at the point that my light weight 7 mag is about my limit for multiple rounds from a bench. I still confirm zero on my 416 rem mag and 338 win mag, but it’s not something I want to shoot a lot from a bench. I am on the verge of getting a shoulder recoil shield for extended range sessions. Saw a guy using one at the range and he really sold on the idea.
Posted By: Rugerfan4374 Re: Recoil survey - 02/08/21
I am a magnum fan. I have heard it all over the years, so the comments no longer bother me. In my honest opinion, I believe the stock must fit you to help with the recoil, a good pad is a must, also lighten your triggers. For me 3 pound triggers are a max. Mostly I try to get my triggers to under 3 pounds. Percieved recoil is a killer. If you think it is going to thump you, then the rifle is going to thump you. Some people are just sensitive to it, some aren't. I know guys that just flinch, some don't. I have watched guys try to anticipate recoil, it is a mental thing. Not saying it is bad, it just is what it is.

I have my days that I can shoot 40 magnum rounds, then I have my d days that after 10 rounds, things are getting uncomfortable.
Posted By: Judman Re: Recoil survey - 02/08/21
It doesn’t matter what others think, “a man has to know his limitations “.... kinda like takin a punch, some fuuckers caint handle it, others of us love it and thrive on it...
Posted By: Rugerfan4374 Re: Recoil survey - 02/08/21
Originally Posted by Judman
It doesn’t matter what others think, “a man has to know his limitations “.... kinda like takin a punch, some fuuckers caint handle it, others of us love it and thrive on it...

Does get the blood pumping at a new level!!!!
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Recoil survey - 02/08/21
Originally Posted by Rugerfan4374
If you think it is going to thump you, then the rifle is going to thump you.

agree, but i might add that sometimes you know its gonna thump you.

also nobody ever talks about number of rounds fired in a sitting. plenty of dudes and gals can stand up to a .308, but im interested to see how they do after they have 100 rnds downrange in the same afternoon
Originally Posted by Rugerfan4374

Does get the blood pumping at a new level!!!!

God damn rights it does... #someshootanddontkill #somekill
Actually I feel sorry for the poor dummies here that shoot, and shoot and shoot that only kill a couple critters a year. It’s pretty comical really.. today technology everyone yaps about, is it that hard to put crosshairs on something?? 😛🤣
Posted By: xausa Re: Recoil survey - 02/08/21
At the risk of boring those readers who have read this before, I killed most of my thick skinned African game, rhino, elephant and Cape buffalo, with a rifle shooting a cartridge of my own design, which propels a 570 grain .505" bullet at 2159 fps., duplicating the performance of the .500 NE. My rifle weighs 8.75 pounds, making it no problem to carry all day. Despite the fact that the rifle generates around 100 foot pounds of free recoil, I never noticed it shooting at game. Sighting it in from the bench I use a device called a Caldwell Lead Sled, which has the effect of reducing the recoil to a manageable level for the few shots required to confirm my zero. For practice, I shoot cast bullets with greatly reduced powder charges and find the rifle pleasant to shoot standing unsupported, the way I have shot all my dangerous thick skinned game. I am 5'8" tall and weigh around 160 pounds and have shot an even heavier rifle, which weighs 12 pounds and fires a 750 grain ,577 bullet at 2050fps. The only problem I had with that rifle was that each shot forced me to step backwards two paces to avoid losing my balance. I considered this characteristic as making the rifle impractical for the hunting field, and I have never used it on game.

In the course of collecting the various thick skinned animals I encountered in Africa, I was never aware of punishing recoil. The reason for this, in my opinion, is that in such situations the shooter is concentrating on the shot and making it count and is not bracing himself against the anticipated recoil. One two occasions I shot my rifle from positions where I was rather precariously balanced on an elevated site. Despite the fact that I fired repeatedly, I did not lose my balance. Once, years ago, before my first African experience, I was shooting my newly acquired .458 WM double rifle and it "doubled" on me. Since the two holes in the target were less than an inch apart, it was clear that both barrels had fired simultaneously and I had not accidentally "strummed" the rear trigger with my trigger finger in response to the recoil from the first barrel. In such a case, the recoil is not doubled, it is quadrupled, since doubling the bullet weight doubles the recoil velocity and recoil energy varies with the square of recoil velocity. In that case I was pushed backwards two steps, causing my feet to tangle with each other and ending up with me on the ground, unharmed. There was no damage to my shoulder.

At age 82 and disabled with neuropathy in both feet, perhaps the result of exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam, my African hunting days are over, but I still do a good deal of shooting heavy recoiling rifles off the bench and in the hunting field. I don't hesitate to recommend my method of developing a load for a heavy recoiling rifle and then practicing with it.
Posted By: Creeker Re: Recoil survey - 02/08/21
My 30-06 is fine for 50 shots or so before my shoulder becomes uncomfortable. It's a 700 Remington in a Hogue overmoulded stock that really takes the sting away. That said my trouble is sound. Sound works on me. I shoot the boom of the 45-70 in my side hammer gun nicely. A 500 grain at 1100-1200 is easy for me but the crack of 22-250 is a problem. And yes I use ear protection. Go figure.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Recoil survey - 02/10/21
The older I get, the weaker I get, the less recoil I can handle. I have shot a lot of 30-06 warm loads in my life and some 338 WM and for a time a #1 in 405 Win. A 300 grain Barnes X at 2450 ft per sec is more than I care to endure, so I gave it to my son in law who is built like a gorilla. He loves it. My favourite rifle now is a T3 Tikka in 6.5X55.
Posted By: AussieGunWriter Re: Recoil survey - 02/10/21

No they won't.
If you go to any range and walk down the line, the sprayed targets do not come from disciplined and self challenging people.
Posted By: WAM Re: Recoil survey - 02/10/21
Actually I feel sorry for the poor dummies here that shoot, and shoot and shoot that only kill a couple critters a year. It’s pretty comical really.. today technology everyone yaps about, is it that hard to put crosshairs on something?? 😛🤣

No kidding! Blasting away at the gravel pit is a waste of time and ammo. Hundreds of rounds past load development and checking zero certainty doesn’t produce the steely nerves required to quickly compute a firing solution and get on target before the game takes 3 steps and disappears. LOL! 🤣🤣
Posted By: Fotis Re: Recoil survey - 02/10/21
Without flinching?

378 weatherby 270 gr at 3155 fps NO BRAKE form the bench no lead sled but a rest.
Posted By: Lorne Re: Recoil survey - 02/11/21

Describes me . Including age , 6 0 late July if I make it

Enjoying my 250 & 300 Savage more and more and a nice old 6.5X55.
© 24hourcampfire